Git Tower

4.8

Version control with Git - made easy. In a beautiful, efficient, and powerful app.

Work for Git Tower?

Learning about Git Tower?

Git Tower Reviews

Ask Git Tower a Question
Showing 22 Git Tower reviews
Git Tower review by MD SAIFUL I.
MD SAIFUL I.

"Git tower user review"

What do you like best?

For version control, everybody is thinking about Git these days. But some chatter on the street is not enough to justify switching to Git. Here are some hard facts that make Git great. I am explaining all the good reasons here:

Work Offline, Undo Mistakes, Sleep Easy, Make Useful Commits, Work in Your Own Way, Don’t Mix Things Up, Go With the Flow.

What do you dislike?

Git is the source code version control system that is rapidly becoming the standard for open source projects. What a pity that it’s so hard to learn, has such an unpleasant command line interface, and treats its users with such utter contempt.

Complex information model, Crazy command line syntax, Crappy documentation, Information model sprawl, Leaky abstraction, Power for the maintainer, at the expense of the contributor, Unsafe version control, Burden of VCS maintenance pushed to contributors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Although there are dozens of version control systems on the market, some of the world's most renowned projects (like the Linux Kernel, Ruby on Rails, or jQuery) are using Git as their VCS of choice. But It is really nice to use git tower on laptop for version control but you also need to learn the commands. You can also incorporate bash for unix command with it.

i was working on a group project where i need all my partners to take part in and also work from remote places. The project was a research project coding in c++ so we were thinking of using version control application like git tower on computer.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Git Tower
Git Tower review by Christopher H.
Christopher H.

"Simple to navigate and easy GIT alternative"

What do you like best?

The best part about Git Tower is it's simple user interface. I've been a beta tester for the last two major version releases and they consistently are pushing the bar in useful features within the app. I'm not a fan of command line for many tasks and Git Tower makes it extremely easy to use with strong keyboard shortcuts and quick actions to get complex commands done quickly. Git Tower seamlessly integrates with an alternate terminal application as well as your Diff Tool of choice.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like about the new version is they altered a frequently used keyboard shortcut to a new command. This is not a game changer but I'm hoping that in the future they do not follow that trend as keyboard shortcuts are the life-blood of my productivity.

The biggest barrier for a new developer I add to my team is the ability to use Git effectively. With Git Tower they no longer have to remember a complex list of commands to get things done. It's all handled in the user interface and we can customize the app's toolbar to accommodate the most important tasks. This has made on-boarding of entry-level developers quicker to be productive in out team environment.

What Version Control Clients solution do you use?

Git Tower review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Git nicer, faster and easier !"

What do you like best?

Tower is the best graphical user interface for git. But wait, I am a geek, and the command line is my best tool... well yes but not when I need to look at git logs, git diffs, git blame, or when I should manage staging partial changes. The nice aspect is that I do not have to choose, I can use Tower and the command line together. And I should admit that Tower is taking progressively the advantage over the command line. The UI is slim and efficient for the purpose. No fuzz. I could have used my IDE for the purpose, and I do sometime, but Tower is far more tailored to the task. The best feature is probably your ability to selectively stage or discard changes. And having a UI similar to GitHub on your desktop for browsing project is a real advantage.

What do you dislike?

The search feature in the logs is fast but work like a filter, and what I need is to find that commit in its context. Maybe I missed that feature, but this is very annoying to have a filter in place of search for that purpose.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using Git, you need Tower ! This tools is force sure tailored to your need. The price might seems expensive, but you will never regret it. Reviewing your commit with Tower is so nice that you will quickly wonder how you work without it.

As a developer, I need to dig into project history every day, and Tower allows me to do it better, faster and with more fun.

Git Tower review by Tyler D.
Tyler D.

"Git Tower is a great GUI tool for those who aren't comfortable using the command line."

What do you like best?

Git Tower has a user-friendly interface and makes the often complicated git commands a breeze. It simplifies the process of managing several different repos as well, which is a big feature for freelancers who are working on more than one project at a time.

What do you dislike?

There are a couple bugs I haven't been able to figure out, namely that the DiffMerge tool doesn't open when I try to solve merge conflicts. I'm not sure why this is and I haven't been able to find a solution. I don't need to use it too often though, so it's more of an annoyance than a huge problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Github Desktop, Git Fork

Git Tower allows designers and developers to get up and running quickly with a git platform (we use Github at our company). Git and the commands involved with git are notoriously tricky, especially since the native way to accomplish anything is through the command line, which many people aren't comfortable with.

Git Tower review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Takes the guess work out of your git flow process"

What do you like best?

The graphic interface is simple to use and easy to set up. The ability to follow git flow patterns makes this software one of our most integral parts of our internal process.

What do you dislike?

I wish it had a better merge tool built in. It now uses a diff tool which I defined in the settings, but it would be nice if it would intelligently walk you through merge conflicts. Otherwise, no complaints!

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is great! We use it on all of our projects and across multiple teams. I highly recommend it.

Git tower allows us to define a process around our path to product release. We can follow the git flow pattern to define features, hotfixes, releases, and more to establish a context with out branches. It also integrates seamlessly with git which makes working with a team an easy to manage task.

Git Tower review by Victor H.
Victor H.

"The best Git client for Mac and Windows, seriusly"

What do you like best?

Branching, comparing, pushing, merging everything is perfect, you can manage many repositories easily, also the website tutorials are AWESOME. Let me tell you: if you want to know which is the best git client, is this one. Do not look for something else. Easy to install on Mac, it can be really helpful for new git users who do not know about all the git commands. The interface is simply perfect. The visibility of the options is great.

What do you dislike?

The price is too high, it should be more accessible for people around the world, I have used the trial version and it was great but I can not afford it because my currency sucks. I do not know if it's possible to export diffs between branches using PDF reports, but it will be nice to have. I will like to have access to a linux application. I do not like there is no way to run custom git commands on this client.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please watch the videos online, they teach you everything from creating a repository to manage branches, they are all very simple to understand.

I solved my needs on tagging repos and creating branches easily, I also can show the difference between commits to my collaborators. Git Tower makes your daily git process really simple, some times you forgot what are the commands to do some tasks and here comes this app which solves this issue.

Git Tower review by User in Computer Software

"My experience with GitTower"

What do you like best?

It's the best mac app for handling git repositories. It's well integrated into the OS look and feel. It's fast and simple to use. I've bought it 3 years ago and i have been using it ever since.

What do you dislike?

It has some bugs. For example, the GitHub integration is a little buggy, and it has some trouble handling big files or files with lots of changes. Either way, overall it's a good experience and i like it a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not hesitate, it's the best git client on Mac. While the price is a little bit high, it's worth every penny!

I learned git through GitTower. Using this product you can start using git with basically 0 knowledge of the git system. You learn every git feature by using GitTower.

Git Tower review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"Great Native Mac Git GUI"

What do you like best?

Tower is built as a native Mac application, first and foremost. Unlike other Git GUI software, such as Atlassian's SourceTree, Tower is built exclusively for the Mac-- and it shows. The UI is completely native and feels as such.

Most common Git operations are fairly accessible. As long as you are familiar with how Git operates, you will also be able to use Tower.

Some complex Git operations, such as picking specific lines or chunks to stage, are significantly easier in Tower than in the Git command line tool.

What do you dislike?

Submodule support is existent, though your submodules are hidden slightly in their own submenu. Though this isn't really a big problem, it kind of illustrates the issue with *any* Git GUI application, including Tower: it can obscure some of Git's power and hide certain functionality behind menus. This isn't inherent to Tower itself, but to all Git GUI apps.

It is much quicker to stage and commit specific changes using Tower than the regular Git command line tool. This speeds up development significantly.

Git Tower review by User in Computer Software

"I am a full stack developer using Tower for more than 2 years now."

What do you like best?

Git, the most powerful version control system can be intimidating at times, it has got a steep learning curve, everything in CLI is abstract. Often you will not know what you're doing and may end up in a conflict. The power of TOWER can be summarized in one word - "visualization". With Tower you visualize every task, you have a birds-eye-view of the scene and nothing remains abstract. With this powerful idea of visualization, you will be comfortable with git, like solving a conflict visually, avoid mistakes and be more productive. Also, Tower has its beautiful UI which keeps improving.

What do you dislike?

Most of the problems I've had are already resolved. When I first started to learn Tower, I had to always rely on my office Mac. I couldn't make use of the free trial, Tower offered, on my personal windows machine. I think the product is highly priced to be used by an individual. Suitable for the office environment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use and like git then definitely use Tower, you will love it. It makes you more productive, mostly by drag and drops. Now you git for windows as well. The 30 days free trial is more than what you want to learn Tower.

Almost using Tower on a daily basis and my biggest worries of conflict merges are easily handled by Tower. I've been observing my juniors getting more productive.

Git Tower review by Eduard K.
Eduard K.

"Most powerful and awesome Git client I've ever used! "

What do you like best?

Very neat and stylish design, minimalist interface, and it is super user-friendly. Git-stashing is the best! Gotta stash everything, I can't believe it is so easy and works so great. Basically, only because of Git Tower I have discovered how truly awesome stashing is. Also, love the fact that I can abort conflict merges. These features have been super helpful to me!

What do you dislike?

I wish diff-merge tool was more intuitive, easier to use and worked better in general at solving conflict merges. Seems like most of merge conflicts that arise could be easily solved automatically, I don't think it is necessary to involve users all the time. Most of the time, it is not even clear why there is a conflict and why Tower could not resolve them by itself. Less conflicts means more productive work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not hesitate, just try it it and see for yourself how good it is. In my opinion, this is one of the best Git clients out there.

I have been using it at work every single day for the last year. Since I switched to Git Tower my workflow improved and I became a more productive thanks to some of the best features that Git Tower has like automatic stashing and aborting those horrible conflict merges.

Git Tower review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"The must Git App"

What do you like best?

The reason I prefer to use Git Tower is the simple user interface. Git Tower simplifies managing assorted repos, which can save someone working on many projects a fair amount time.

What do you dislike?

The only dislike I have with Git Tower is it took a while to get used to it. Coming from using a command line it as a little learning curve. Many of the issues I had with Git Tower has been resolved over the years. Also, Git Tower is also one of the most expensive Git apps on for the Mac.

The most significant business problem that we solved when switching to Git Tower is time savings. Git Tower also gives us the ability to have members of the team who are apprehensive about using the command line. It makes the process of having new team members use Git for the first time more accessible.

Git Tower review by Willem D.
Willem D.

"Tower 2 - My favorite Git client"

What do you like best?

The big difference that makes Tower a better choice than other clients is it's ability to solve problems. Anybody who uses git will know the struggle of merge conflicts or somebody misusing the system. Unlike many other clients, Tower has the ability to handle the majority of these problems.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint about tower is the lack of a very strong built in dif tool. If you aren't sure of which file to default too, you'll likely have to have find a third party software to compare.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd say that, if you are willing to spend the money, Git Tower is the best git client out there.

Keeping everyone on track and using the same files is always tough, and is why git is excellent. Tower gives the ability to use this tool to those who lack the ability to interact with it in command line.

Git Tower review by Omar S.
Omar S.

"Git Tower is the Best GUI git interface there is"

What do you like best?

There are several things that prompted me to give Git Tower a 10 out of 10. The ease with which normal git tasks can be done through the Git Tower interface is amazing. I can sync remote repos automatically (do not worry, you can turn this off if you want), easily track my entire teams branch and commit history and track issues in real time. Coupled with a good diff tool ( I use kaleidoscope ) merge conflicts are a thing of the past.

What do you dislike?

The only thing, and its minor is that you cannot automate pull requests or even accept them through Git Tower. I will say this though, thats not that big of a deal. The extra step to submit a pull request provides a bit of relief as pull requests are a critical part of the process that in my opinion should be well reviewed prior to submitting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a free trial on the main website. You need a nice diff tool as well, I use kaleidoscope which also has a free trial on their website. Both of these are need to realize the full potential of what a nice git GUI can provide.

Git Tower just makes my life easier, I am solid on the command line and have all of my aliases set to make my life easier, but sometimes I still like to go to Git Tower for tracking other peoples work, understanding where we are in a project at a high level and also making sure everyone is on the same page. Finally, Git tower is very helpful when it comes to getting a snapshot of the existing branches and how far they have diverged form our main repo.

Git Tower review by Nate D.
Nate D.

"Very well designed Git client"

What do you like best?

Very well designed, it looks great; being able to see the status of all my repositories visually; connects to various Git hosting services (GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab, Beanstalk, etc.); can organize repositories into folders; lots of good options in the preferences; can help manage my Git config; refreshes my repositories automatically; the open quickly shortcut feature

What do you dislike?

It's very expensive for a new license, especially when there are a few pretty good clients available for free; I wish it had an undo function, like the GitHub Desktop client; sometimes I wish it could open repositories into multiple tabs instead of having to open a new window for each repo

Recommendations to others considering the product

The price is probably the biggest negative to Git Tower. If the high price tag doesn't work for you, try taking a look at Atlassian SourceTree (pretty similar to Git Tower) or GiHub Desktop (a somewhat simplified Git client). I've tried both, but I keep coming back to Git Tower. If you have the money to spend, I think Git Tower is the best Git client that you can buy.

I've been using Git Tower as my primary Git client for a couple years now, and so far it's my favorite. It looks great and has pretty much every Git function I need. I almost never have to go to the command line for Git now, and I can visually see everything that is happening in my repositories.

Git Tower review by Patrick S.
Patrick S.

"Tower makes git pleasant"

What do you like best?

Git Tower is a beautiful user experience on top of the notorious git. It means I can focus on doing my job, and not have to memorise many commands, trip over syntax errors, or feel like I’m living in the 1980s. It does a good job of making everything accessible within the content of the UI, they haven’t just mapped each git command to a menu.

It integrates well with other software, such as for diffing. I just use Apple’s FileMerge.

What do you dislike?

The UI flow for jumping between Repositories somehow catches me sometimes. And, of course, it doesn’t cover every single command that git offers.

Tower lets me use GitHub and Beanstalk easily, it gives me best practice git usage without having to remember particular flags to commands or set up command line aliases or anything irritating like that. I can just focus on my work, instead of getting caught up in a tool.

Git Tower review by Justin R.
Justin R.

"The Git GUI to end all CLI-lovers rants"

What do you like best?

Not needing to type a whole lot of things I can just click on.

Don't get me wrong, I can use the Command Line just fine, but when working on a tight schedule errors do tend to happen... and less mental cycles you have to spend dictating commands to your terminal translates into more attention on the things that matter: which commits to keep while cherry picking, squashing interactively (literally, not kidding), and pushing left and right with no effort.

At.

All.

What do you dislike?

It's not a dislike. It's a want: being able to generate PRs directly from the app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you're using Github Desktop, you are probably dying a bit inside every time.

Learn the Command Line way, or get this app. Guaranteed satisfaction.

Git rhymes with grit. Too many moving pieces in something that could be automated, or at the very least made easy.

This software does just that.

Git Tower review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"So easy!"

What do you like best?

It did take a while to go from using the terminal to using a physical git tool but I love being able to see all of my repos in one place and handling merge conflicts like a champ.

What do you dislike?

It took me a while to get the hang of it. I wish there was a Git Tower 101 documentation, or maybe I just missed that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read documentation and test out a few other products like this before buying. They have a pretty long trial too but definitely worth the money to invest in a tool like this!

Handling merge conflicts is amazing, I like that I can merge things into my branches and it's saved so much time.

Git Tower review by Jason W.
Jason W.

"Just switched to Tower and love it!"

What do you like best?

No more slowness, no random errors, it just works! Loving it.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything about it that I don't like yet..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot, it's pretty sweet and just works. No errors, no issues, and it's nice and fast. Loving the change!

Source control! It's replaced sourcetree.

Git Tower review by Darian R.
Darian R.

"The best Git client for Mac"

What do you like best?

It took me some time to adjust to git. Most of that had to do with the various terminal commands and other git clients I tried. Switching to Tower made a night and day difference.

I have now been using Tower for a couple years and have grown accustomed to using git for all of my projects because it makes the process much simpler. I am a graphic designer and a visual person, so while I can use the terminal it gets in the way of my creative process and kind of stresses me out. Using git is essential to my work so finding a good git client was vital. However, Tower is more than good it is excellent!

What do you dislike?

Most of my dislikes have actually been remedied in the past year as they have added features like syncing with Bitbucket team accounts and so forth. There is very little I don't like about Tower. Sometimes, it just seems to get stuck on a file and you have to close it completely. This may be a git issue rather than specific to Tower because almost every git client seems to have this happen from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atlassian Source Tree

Version control and code branching for distributed codebases.

Git Tower review by Executive Sponsor in Financial Services
Executive Sponsor in Financial Services

"Great tool to implement for all types of development regardless of the language"

What do you like best?

We're mixed shop of Microsoft and Java and then we have multiple platforms Pega, Sitecore, Azure, etc... it works great for all application development.It's a low cost solution and a licensing structure is pretty simple.It's in the cloud.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet, like every tool some configuration type of decisions have to be made up front

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's always good to start with a small pilot and see if it works for your environment. It's a low cost solution and a licensing structure is pretty simple.

One centralized solution for source control and branching

Git Tower review by User

"Git for Mac done right"

What do you like best?

The UI is simple to navigate and use. Branching, merging etc are all easy to do.

What do you dislike?

I wanted the ability to initiate pull requests, which they just now implemented in version 3.0.

Version control for our iOS apps.

Git Tower review by Agency in Information Technology and Services
Agency in Information Technology and Services

"Nice but not cheap git ui"

What do you like best?

It has an intuitive ui and is a lot faster than other cöients i tried. It is also capaable of handling single line commits

What do you dislike?

The project list seems to be a bit unorganized but works at the end

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it, but there are tons of other good client as well...

Add some ease to git usage, for some tasks it’s better to have an ui, while we mainly use the xli.

Learning about Git Tower?

* We monitor all Git Tower reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.