GitKraken

GitKraken is a software that makes Git commands and processes easy, fast, and intuitive, it has a visually appealing experience that requires fewer interactions, allows for more fluid workflows, and provides total functionality.

Work for GitKraken?

Learning about GitKraken?

GitKraken Reviews

Showing 33 GitKraken reviews
GitKraken review by Ivo J.
Ivo J.

"Second by second, this saves me hours of work"

What do you like best?

The UI is very easy to understand, the tree view is amazing and most operations are a click away.

You can open Pull Requests on Github, merge branches, branch off, amend commits, cherry-pick commits, solve merge conflicts with ease..

Besides the UI looks gorgeous and you can select from light and dark themes.

Plus, now it has Glo, a card/task manager tool built into it that integrates seamlessly with Github Issues.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike on GitKraken.. I'm sorry it is not possible to setup a GPG key to sign commits, and I would like to have an easier way to see all previous versions of a file. All else is just there!

This makes it easier to deal with feature branches, merging code, reordering commits etc.. all things that I knew how to do on the CLI but was always a bit afraid of doing.

With GitKraken, I feel confident thus I do things faster and safer.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about GitKraken
GitKraken review by mohsin s.
mohsin s.

"Easy to install and use it. Strongly recommend it "

What do you like best?

It runs natively on all famous operating systems like Windows, Mac, and Linux. Project organization is done very amazingly by GitKraken. I can manage my Repos, and organize with it easily. Github and BitBucket easy integrated and can be used without a trouble. Drag and Drop feature has made life so easy and searches fuzzy finder is very fast and amazing. It's really to easy to work with such beautiful colors and themes given by GitKraken.

What do you dislike?

The trial is only for 7 days of GitKraken pro. It should be of 15 days so New users can understand the vast features of GitKraken. For small startups of a team of 10 users, it's expensive 390$ a month for 10 users which is 39$ for 1 user per month.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an amazing platform that increases the workflow and boosts users and encourages to work them by using amazing graphical user interface and features.

it has increased the workflow and made integrations so easy for us.

Drag and drop features and Premium features had made my team and I, productive Git user

What Version Control Clients solution do you use?

GitKraken review by Erick D.
Erick D.

"Best Git client ever."

What do you like best?

I really like and use it mostly as a visualization tool. Helps me understand project structure and the different features that are being worked on in various branches. GitKraken is my go-to whenever I'm dealing with merge conflicts since they can be a bit puzzling.

What do you dislike?

The UI can look very bloated and overwhelming at times, due to all the different features, options, buttons, etc. that GitKraken has. In a way, this is good because you can do virtually anything with GitKraken, you just need to know where to look for the option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time trying to learn the UI and all that GitKraken offers. I watched a few tutorials to start off and kind of went on reading articles gradually as I used it a bit more.

We manage considerably big projects and since it's not only one, going from one project to another can be very confusing since one usually gets used to one project / git structure . We use it to manage the different project's branches and pull requests.

GitKraken review by Itai B.
Itai B.

"The most intuitive GIT UI I have ever seen!"

What do you like best?

Drag and Drop. Everything (well, many things) seems to be as simple as Drag and Drop. Move files between branches? Drag and Drop. Move tags? Drag and Drop. Rebase? Drag and Drop!

It also has a great compare and merge tools built in.

For the Pro and Enterprise version it also has GitHub, GitLab and BitBucket support.

And it's written on the Electron platform, which means it's cross platform!

EDIT:

Lately, on Linux at least, the software started making problems, like endless loading when trying to push or pull. So give it a shot, maybe it's fixed already, but for now it lowers the score.

What do you dislike?

The pricing. While its free for startups in their first year and for personal use, for every other company it has a monthly fee. In some versions it's a licence per seat.

Now don't get me wrong - the fee isn't that high considering the ease of use it brings, but still, I think it's only a matter of time until other tools will clone the great ideas GitKraken introduced to the world.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can allow yourselves to spend the money (a yearly fee), do it. You won't regret (And if for some reason you do - it has a yearly fee subscription pricing model and you can always start with the free trial version so you can cancel at any time).

Ease of use in everything related to source control management using GIT. Plus, I think it has migration feature from other source control systems.

GitKraken review by RamĂłn Giovanny C.
RamĂłn Giovanny C.

"Excellent tool to work with prepositories in Git"

What do you like best?

The best system for comparing version control in a project and integrating development teams to your repositories allows you to work with systems such as git flow to create sub modules to a repository and chain of independent repositories in a large project.

What do you dislike?

Actually there are few things that I do not like in this system, I would vote to improve the user interface a bit, it takes less time to load, it is a bit heavy when starting

Recommendations to others considering the product

This allows more optimally work on version control systems, very useful for large teams, has excellent integration with Gitflow and allows you to add submodules to a large project, the learning curve is not so simple to do more complex things but still being the most complete option to work with Git.

Being able to audit large teams in large projects, improves the merging of branches, and allows to review and resolve conflicts in a project in a more efficient and professional way.

GitKraken review by User in Research
User in Research

"Beautiful git experience"

What do you like best?

The interface and user experience is cool.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps sometimes fails to connect to Gitlab. Not sure why though. Hoping should be fixed in near future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

First of all don't forget to put dark or light theme as you prefer. Then go and authenticate. Add you favorite git provider, I use Gitlab mostly. Clone your repository anywhere you wish on your local machine and you are good to go. You won't ever have to use terminal git commands when having GitKraken opened. It's just so easy to figure out even without documentation and tutorial videos.

The thing I loved recently about GitKraken is how easily I was able to add my DigitalOcean server as a remote to my Gitlab repository and pushing some changes to it in a snap. You just have to change your upstream for the local clone of your repository to the remote that you wish to push to and you are so good to go.

Just get it, watch some official Youtube video tutorials about the features and you won't be disappointed. Oh, and it also has git flow feature in the settings, if you wish you can enable that for the repository of your choosing. It's great.

Interacting with my git repositories using GitKraken is really a breeze. I can see the chronological listing of commits, whatever those commits contain in detail and I can use quick command palette that does various things for me in a snap. A very detailed program that makes life easier when having a git repository for your programming project. Really I don't do coding without it since I discovered it.

GitKraken review by Matt C.
Matt C.

"Unleash The...."

What do you like best?

The interface can be a bit strange at first but once you're used to it it's quick and easy to use and allows the developers to keep track on any commits going into the different branches being worked on.

The app is always being updated with new features and fixes to issues with the application.

When contacted the support team have been helpful.

Being multi-platform i can use the application on my windows machine and my macbook

The conflict tool is easy to use when we've had any merge conflicts, allowing you to easily pick the block or line of code that needs to be kept.

What do you dislike?

Have been a few releases over time that contained bugs which impacted merging branches. While this caused us issues, the support team where easily contacted and communicated with us that the bug was being looked at.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot of git clients out there, but GitKraken was the only one our team could all agree on.

Before settling on GitKraken we tried a number of different git clients in the development team, GitKraken was the only one we could all agree on when it came to features, design and cool sounding name (more important than you think).

GitKraken review by Ashley R.
Ashley R.

"Great software for use with Git and code tracking"

What do you like best?

The user interface for GitKraken is wonderful and very easy to follow. The simplicity of use to keep track of code changes, revisions, and commits is great. It makes the job much easier when working on a big project with many developers working on the software.

What do you dislike?

I really don't dislike anything about the software, but sometimes I have struggled to find what I am looking for in the navigation, but nothing major at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a good piece of software to handle code tracking GitKraken will be a great benefit.

The business problems this software has helped us solve is it allows all developers to work on code for a project and not overwrite or disrupt the workflow. We are able to easily combine all our code and if their is a conflict or the merging causes an issue we can easily revert back to a working version.

GitKraken review by Armando L.
Armando L.

"Fantastic version control manager with lot of extra under the hood"

What do you like best?

Easiest merging process ever. If there are merge conflicts fixing them is very easy withing the integrated GitKraken merging tool.

The tree view is very easy on the eyes, it even shows people's pictures on every action. Fantastic.

The overall design and colours in the app are great.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes on large projects with many branches, the app can take a while to load.

Sometimes when performing some operations like stashing or even commit and push can take a moment and it is not clear whether the application is doing something or not.

Consumes substantial amount of resources, especially if you leave the auto-fetch interval to the default 1 minute.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GitKraken can consume a bit chunk of both memory and CPU, but it is the best Git Tool for any size of team and project complexity.

Not recommended to install on servers or productions environment for the same reason. GitKraken includes some extra stuff that are intended for development environments.

The main benefit our development team has gotten from GitKraken is having a streamlined repository management and usage process. We've reduced the amount of time consumed from the Senior Developers which usually code reviews and take care of the merging process. GitKraken has made it easier for our day to day coding. Also onboarding is so much intuitive for new team members.

In the past some members even prefered to use the Git command line for basic operations like stashing, poping, pull, merging, and sometimes the result could be confusing depending on the complexity of the project in hand. With GitKraken even on a large project we are able to easy perform the desired operations and reduced the frequency and time that we have to sit and review what we did if we cause some conflicts.

GitKraken review by Javi T.
Javi T.

"GitKraken, strong with good graphic interface"

What do you like best?

What I like most about using GitKraken is that it is easier to use, because you do not have to memorize commands, besides seeing the result in an image is easier to process, because "an image is worth more than 1000 words".

Also, the possibility of condensing processes in a couple of clicks, saving many complicated lines.

the possibility of having comfortably stored credentials. You can manage multiple members repositories easier.

What do you dislike?

One of the points that I did not like is the lack of ease or integration that gives us when executing advanced commands. FOr the full features need the premium version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will not regret trying it, each one has their own tastes, but for me this client is in the top of Git, for its clarity of visualization of the branches, which puts it at the head of all those used so far in this field ... and also is multiplatform.

Using GitKraken, workers/developers will save time, something that favors users when it comes to testing the code. The system is known, mainly, for having a very eye-catching interface, for focusing on the speed and easy handling of Git.

With a handy button to undo operations you can review errors at the moment, which makes the workflow easier. The free version is suitable for companies with less than 20 workers or for non-profit organizations.

GitKraken review by User in Furniture
User in Furniture

"A great UI for Git"

What do you like best?

I really like the UI and the way the information is laid out. I can see so easily the information that I need. It is a feature rich product without being over cluttered. All the extra functionality is hidden, but easily accessible using the right mouse click or for those of you with only one mouse button on a little menu.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, I cannot think of anything, it does what I need it to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GitKraken comes with a Trial option. I would suggest that you download and try it and try it for more than a week. They have a good support community if you need it and support material posted on places like YouTube.

Git's command line is not that easy to use and remembering the commands is not always easy thing to do if you are not and experienced user. With this UI, you just use a mouse and point and click.

GitKraken review by Mike F.
Mike F.

"A smooth interface makes very control easy."

What do you like best?

I love the ease of being able to visualise the timeline of our branches, along with how easy it is to review and merge feature sets in and see exactly what is being changed.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes GitKraken won't pick up SSH keys I have registered via the command line for different repositories. This can be rectified by using the one SSH key for GitKraken, but this is a tad annoying at times. Filtering commits works but could use some tweaking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it, however originally when it launched there was no costs involved.

It has allowed me to use source control with ease. This means we are able to keep our code safe and not lose work.

GitKraken review by Lee C.
Lee C.

"Best git client I've ever used"

What do you like best?

Total ease of use. It connects with all my accounts and has built in diff viewers and merge tools that make working with git a dream.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the UI doesn't give feedback that its actually doing something under the hood. Sometimes the UI will go to an animaged "opening repo" screen and never open it - this normally happens when a file its monitoring is locked (like the .vs folder with visual studio) - gitignore these files and its fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Buy the pro version!

Far more productive now I don't have to fight with my git client.

GitKraken review by Aaron L.
Aaron L.

"A fantastic Git client that shouldn't be free"

What do you like best?

I like the intuitive UI, and the branch tree is a thing of functional beauty. I also work on both Mac/Windows, and both clients are equivalent, no features in just one or the other, and a really active development team that are constantly working on improvements.

What do you dislike?

I've never lost any work or commits from it crashing, but I'd say that it crashes once every other week for me, which is inconvenient but not damaging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have an active development team who are constantly pushing fixes and new features, and it's free. There's no reason not to try it out at that price, I haven't looked back.

Moving from BitBucket to GitHub and having a beautiful, cross platform Git GUI tool is such a welcome change. We've been able to quickly and easily get revision management up and running, which improves the stability of our projects and ensures we don't have any (more) setbacks due to code loss.

GitKraken review by Jeroen G.
Jeroen G.

"Git made easy and highly visual."

What do you like best?

If you don't like the command line git commands and want a visual UI for git GitKraken is really attractive. The tree view is very clear and all merges are easy to follow. When merge conflicts arise you can easily view and mostly correct them from inside GitKraken. Even initialise and working with gitflow is made possible from within GitKraken.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes GitKraken stops working without any reason. It happens not much and it starts again without any problems after all. Apart from this AxaSoft has done a great job with GitKraken.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using SourceTree you will like GitKraken.

I use GitKraken in combination with Visual Studio 2017. Together with gitflow it makes a great visual experience. It feels like I have more control over the complete process with this combination of development tools.

GitKraken review by Giuseppe M.
Giuseppe M.

"Finally, a Git GUI that is worthy!"

What do you like best?

Installed GitKraken on Linux/Windows, and launched it for the first time. The on-boarding process is wonderful, each step of the initial settings is explained at detail. I set up the Github and Bitbucket credentials for my projects, loaded the correspondent SSH keys for my private servers, all in less than 5 minutes.

The cross plataform support is one of the best features. I cloned a repository to a Linux machine, made a few changes, staged the changes, then committed them. Finally, I made some changes on a different machine (Windows), and pushed those changes, and then pulled from my Linux machine in GitKraken, merging these changes in a breeze. So switching platform doesn’t mean switching tools or a slightly different experience.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it feels very slow and sluggish (on Windows).

And still have some missing features like:

-Interactive rebases.

-Quick find a repository.

-Spell check on messages.

-Being able to select multiple files at once to stage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are searching for a GUI to work with Git, GitKraken is the best option.

In my previous company we used subversion exclusively. It did the job and we didn’t see much point in wasting time exploring new alternatives. My current company however works exclusively with git. Git can be a bit of a learning curve to start with.

My experience with git wasn't satisfactory until I started using GitKraken. This GUI makes work with Git a pleasant experience, very easy to learn and very powerful to solve a variety of problems when working with version control (merging, commit, staging, etc).

GitKraken review by Federico R.
Federico R.

"GitKraken provides "

What do you like best?

GitKraken makes managing git repositories really easy.

The Overall UI is very well designed and their merge resolution tool is one of the best I've ever tried.

Integration with GitHub is straightforward to setup.

I love the feature to create pull request straight from the UI.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I miss from GitKraken is a view which displays all the files of a specific repo.

History rewriting doesn't always accomplish the results you were hoping for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GitKraken - even the free version - easily outperforms paid competition.

Its ease of use makes it perfect for junior developers or developers who switched from another versioning system.

I think it's the best solution if you like managing your repos with a UI or if you're not familiar enough to use command line.

I manage my work and personal repositories.

GitKraken makes managing repos faster and safer and you rarely have to use command line.

GitKraken review by Peter W.
Peter W.

"Easy to use Git client"

What do you like best?

GitKraken is incredibly easy to use, as the layout of its user interface makes perfect sense to any newcomer.

Its very straight forward to set up and get going, requiring very little time to get it synced with my GitHub account and get to work.

The visual user interface makes figuring out what your repositories are doing, where they are and how they work very simple.

What do you dislike?

Whenever you need to 'Resolve a merge conflict' (when you're committing changes but the original code has been changed in some way), the screen presented can make it a bit hard to differentiate from old and new changes. But once you get your head around what it all means, it isn't too bad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Comparing this to other git clients, I would say its a no-brainer to use Git Kraken.

Easy to use and understand, plus its free!

By using GitKraken we can easily share code between team members, making it easier to QA / check any code before its merged into our main 'Master' file.

And since we're able to check code easier, our level of quality has increased and we are implementing less bugs into our production code.

Reduced time spent on training team members on how to use a Git client, as GitKraken is so much easier to use than the others we've tried.

GitKraken review by Daniel E.
Daniel E.

"Comfortable git-client for team collaboration"

What do you like best?

GitKraken is cross-platform, so you do not have to force your development guys to use some specific devices for work, it supports Windows, MacOS and Linux desktops. Good repository visualization allow intuitive navigation acroos branches and history of commits. Easy resolving of merge conflicts and GitFlow support. Native integration with GitHub and BitBucket. Good for open-source and inexpensive commercial projects.

What do you dislike?

No integration with VSTS, makes Enterprise-level development tricky. Commercial version is a bit too expensive just for version control client

Recommendations to others considering the product

Strongly recommended for small teams and individual development

Version Control for open-source projects

GitKraken review by Jose Antonio G.
Jose Antonio G.

"The perfect GUI for Git"

What do you like best?

The interface is cool and you can do almost any task you need with Git: commit, push, pull, merge, rebase, manage remotes,...

What do you dislike?

Maybe is a bit difficult to start using Gitkraken and some tasks are not very intuitive.

The tool to resolve conflicts could be better.

I use it to manage my repositories and it helps me to do it faster thanks to the visual interface. I can see the info of all my commits and branches in a sight.

GitKraken review by Jonathan W.
Jonathan W.

"The definitive Git UI"

What do you like best?

The application is feature-rich, it offers most commands used when working with projects that use Git as version control system. It's the perfect companion for advanced git users.

The UI is self explanatory and easy to use. The tree/commit panel is really good since it gives you quick and full visualisation of the project's history.

What do you dislike?

Even in the new 2.0 version that has many performance boosts, it still feels kind of slow. Commit view can be a little hard to use on projects with a lot of branches because of the font sizing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Considering other powerful options out there, my personal favourite has been SourceTree by Atlassian; however updates for that product are really sporadic. Gitkraken team updates the app in short iterations of about a month, definitely moving forward and listening to the community.

I'm a terminal fan; however sometimes can be a little challenging to accomplish certain git tasks that you do once every few weeks. Also having a good UI to see file diffs is always a plus. The paid version even has a merge conflict resolution built-in

GitKraken review by Pavel D.
Pavel D.

"Nice Gui client for git."

What do you like best?

I like that its cross-platform application, I can use the same application on my Windows/Mac/Linux machines.

What do you dislike?

Sometime GitKraken can be a bit slow - especially when dealing with huge merges - I experienced application hang multiple times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think that there is other free of charge alternatives.

Personal usage is free, but for commercial usage, you need to pay a yearly amount. It's not a huge amount - but still, you have free alternatives which aren't that bad. I didn't notice any unreplacible features that GitKraken has to offer.

I tried GitKraken for a couple of months, but eventually, I moved to other alternatives + combining git shell.

GitKraken review by User in Information Technology and Services

"The best got client for developers"

What do you like best?

GitKraken seems to put the user first. As a tool primarily used for developers GitKraken has put a lot of common tasks, that you normally have to manually do, in help full workflows. Key example of this is when you need to pull changes from a different branch while on another. GitKraken always you todo this by switching automatically pull the changes then putting you back on the branch you started with.

What do you dislike?

The UI looks very futuristic and some users are put off. Also some of the flows are not what some people are used to but I’m my opinion once you understand them they are beneficial.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for a month.

Using Git in a productive way. One benefit is that you can create pull request from GitKraken and don’t need to go to your browser to start them.

GitKraken review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Excellent desktop Git client"

What do you like best?

It makes using Git super easy and it supports GitLab (which I use) as well as GitHub. Simple to setup integration with source control hosts. Allows easy visualization of the source control tree and the GUI makes Git a lot easier to use in general. Cloning and initialization is also super easy, as is creating new branches and many other git-related tasks.

What do you dislike?

The Pro version isn't exactly cheap, but is necessary for many of this program's most useful features. It has confused me a couple times with how to stage changes and add new files to the repository.

Makes using Git on the desktop a breeze. I don't have to worry about wrangling Git to work in my favor, GitKraken makes it effortless so I can focus on the code itself.

GitKraken review by Jordan W.
Jordan W.

"GitKraken"

What do you like best?

I like that users can view a file’s history to see diffs for each commit, and toggle blame to see who made changes where.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes GitKraken can be a bit sluggish

Recommendations to others considering the product

GitKraken is easy to use for any level, download the free version and give it a go

It helps that I can find out who has made changes quickly

GitKraken review by User in Program Development
User in Program Development

"An excellent gui to use git"

What do you like best?

The interface is amazing, and I think that is a great solution to new developers that aren't comfortable in use command line in Git.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when you use stash in command line the GitKraken don't recognize well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Glow is an incredible solution, but need to be more mature to substitute today's Kanbam tools.

When you have some conflicts, the GitKraken is an amazing solution, because the command line is not the better way to visualize and fix it.

GitKraken review by Kristen C.
Kristen C.

"GitKraken is an intuitive way to interface with GIT"

What do you like best?

The UI is very easy to use, and the online documentation is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - this is an easy to use software, especially for people who do not know command line.

I use this as a version control system, to interface with Git. It is easy for collaborating on projects and reverting to old versions of files.

GitKraken review by User

"nice interface for git"

What do you like best?

The interface is very easy to use. It saves time from typing in the git command prompt.

What do you dislike?

Nothing major that I dislike, just occassionally unstable in a sense that the stash and pop don't work as expected. But it could also be my repo's problem.

easy to use version control

GitKraken review by User

"The perfect UI for Git"

What do you like best?

The intuitive design. It's easily usable for beginner with git.

What do you dislike?

The merging tool which can be improved. But the good thing is that you can link an external tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and you would never regret it.

With GitKraken I can use versionning system with my team even if they are affraid of command line.

GitKraken review by User in Financial Services

"GitKraken review"

What do you like best?

Its very efficient to handle different branches across repositories and switch between these different branches

What do you dislike?

The UI itself might be toned down a bit from a color theme perspective. But nothing to complain now, I really like the product

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely try this version control tool which definitely will make your life easy as a developer

Version management across repositories and branch controlling when working on multiple different repositories. Also switching between different versions when working on various stories at the same time

GitKraken review by Melifa G.
Melifa G.

"Good git UI"

What do you like best?

It helps me a lot when using Git, nice UI and also has GitKraken Glo for the progress documentation

What do you dislike?

Sometimes this software crashes and I need to close and re-open it again

Make project's progress tracking easier

GitKraken review by Justin L.
Justin L.

"user friendly"

What do you like best?

a nice interface for git, wich allows to clearly see the branches.

What do you dislike?

difficulties to understand how to make branches and all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a try. but not for very large projects.

team working made easy

GitKraken review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"A wonderful sourcetree alternative for Linux"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and has a great design. It's a great tool for beginners to use to learn how to use git. It's also a wonderful way to see what other people have changed that are working on separate branches.

What do you dislike?

It's slow especially with a large repository.

A GUI git client for Linux

Learning about GitKraken?

* We monitor all GitKraken reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.