Gitlab presents a lot of interesting features that I found useful:
- Open source
- Create private or public repositories.
- Private repositories for free .
- Easy to install, update and maintain.
- Easy to collaborate with the team and sharing the code.
- Easy to back-up your self-hosted GitLab instance.
- Easy to create merge requests, so code can be easily reviewed and discussed.
I can't really find anything that i dislike. Gitlab is fulfilling all my needs as for now. Maybe, the only thing that bothered me was the UI is a little bit complex and hard to understand.
I recommend Gitlab for anyone who wants to create a private projects for free and save your money. It's the best solution for that. More than that it's fast because files can be edited directly on the web UI without downloading the repository.
I currently use Gitlab to build and push up my projects in private repositories. I can work with my team by enabling us to push, pull, and merge our code together on it.