Google BigQuery

Analyze Big Data in the cloud with BigQuery. Run fast, SQL-like queries against multi-terabyte datasets in seconds. Scalable and easy to use, BigQuery gives you real-time insights about your data.

Work for Google BigQuery?

Learning about BigQuery?

Google BigQuery Reviews

Ask BigQuery a Question
Showing 179 BigQuery reviews
BigQuery review by Jeffrey P.
Jeffrey P.
Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Google BigQuery
BigQuery review by Sayed Hassan N.
Sayed Hassan N.

"A product with great potentials but yet with some flaws to be addressed"

What do you like best?

- Automatic data transfer service from other google products and ability to get data from other sources.

- A low cost SQL-based data warehouse

- It has a restful API

What do you dislike?

- Weak quality control and support on transfer service would be my biggest complain. For example, sometimes a job fails for several days and by the time the BQ team get back to you, your data is not available on source server anymore. In case of YouTube reporting data, the data gets deleted after a short period of time due to YouTube's compliance to GDPR.

- Standard libraries are not supported on Google Appengine Standard

- Querying views have the same cost of querying the tables which I believe they should use a lower cost scheme for querying views

- The ML services provides supports only for few basic modelling techniques

I am using BQ for reporting and Business Intelligence. It's a great SQL-based data warehousing product with easy setup and low running costs. Its REST-API is really helpful in designing various business solutions. Combined with Google Data Studio, it could provide Business/Marketing intelligence platform for your business. But you need to keep in mind that Data Studio does not have an API, so designing very customized solutions with it might possible at this point.

What Data Warehouse solution do you use?

BigQuery review by Tim R.
Tim R.

"(Relatively) easy to use, inexpensive database."

What do you like best?

It is easy to get started on it. It is very low cost. The query language is robust enough for my purposes.

What do you dislike?

It is not as easy to use as it could be and I hesitate to offer it to my colleagues who are not in IT. We have a lot of MS Access databases in our company that we are trying to get rid of. If we could improve the ability to map a Sheet into a table, that would take things quite a bit further. A query builder tool would be awesome also. I am okay handwriting my queries, joins, unions, etc., but I am not sure about my business partners.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many ways to use BigQuery. I personally tend to use it as an MS Access replacement and so my review is based on that usecase. Others use it for BigData / IoT initiatives and it is serving us well there. There are also many different ways to get data into BigQuery and you just have to experiment with them to find out which ways work best for you. For my use case, I like mapping a Google Sheet into a BigQuery table.

Quick analysis using large datasets.

BigQuery review by Lorenzo R.
Lorenzo R.

"A great tool for Data Analytics"

What do you like best?

The main plus of BigQuery is its managed and noOps nature. On one side, this allows us and our customers to handle spikes in computing or storage demands without reengineering anything; on the other side, this enables relevant savings with respect to a traditional "cluster-based" data warehousing solution.

Another interesting aspect is that BigQuery fits very well in different scenarios, ranging from small datasets (in the order of GBs) to enormous workloads handling TBs or PBs of data.

What do you dislike?

We still don't have much control over long-running jobs: it would be nice to have webhooks or Pub/Sub messages notifying the end of a process, in order to implement BigQuery within an automated solution.

BigQuery solves a range of problems, from classical DWH/BI solutions, speeding up - by orders of magnitude - the computation of insights from data, to advanced Data Science and ML tasks when used together with other tools like ML Engine, Datalab and Dataflow.

BigQuery review by Rahul C.
Rahul C.

"Enhanced Data Analysis with Big Query"

What do you like best?

Big Query is a product of Google which is mostly used for data analysis over big data using Queries. Big Query charges you as much as data you process so it's like pay as you go. If you have small large traffic on your website then you must be generating a huge data that can be analyzed in seconds with BQ. When you buy Google Analytics premium Big Query comes with that and you also have 500 credits that are enough for analysis and querying. It has simple UI which is easy to use and understand. If you know simple SQL then you would quickly understand the syntax and functions of Big Query. Google has provided very good and clean documentation for Big Query that can be used to build better Queries. Even you can use Big Query for predictive analysis and different kind of analysis. Moreover, you would easily find API of big query from which you can fetch data from a table as well insert data in a table. Not only Google Analytics data but you can also upload your CRM data and merge with another analytics data to analyze further. Big Query is cloud based so you need not worry about installing it on your premises.

What do you dislike?

Big Query is a very useful tool but not for everyone. You should go for Big Query when you have a huge data set to analyze for small analysis you could go or don't want to go is your decision. If you want to use Big Query API then you must be good with coding skills. Big Query is an append-only database that's the only thing which you would dislike but if you upload your own dataset you can fire update queries but it restrict with Google Analytics datasets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool and not that much expensive you can use this as your relational database to build better products.

Big Query in our company is used very efficiently to build different products or storing data for future analysis.

BigQuery review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Review"

What do you like best?

1.) Pay-per-use. Goes without saying the ability to use large amounts of resources for a query without paying for idle resources makes this product much better than Redshift. The ability to specify higher tiers for queries which need a lot of memory/compute relative to storage scanned is also great. (This should be exposed in the UI!).

2.) Sharding on Custom Field. Besides the obvious benefits of insert time sharding, the ability to shard and cluster on any field is incredibly powerful. This unlocks a new category of use cases for internal enterprise apps. Although those apps are usually primarily OLAP based, they also need to do the occasional low-latency KV lookup without forcing a full column/table scan. Custom sharding enables that.

What do you dislike?

1.) Lack of schema modifications for streaming inserts. Currently BQ can modify schema dynamically (append columns or relax columns) for load jobs only. It would be great if it could do this for streaming inserts as well. This would unlock an entirely new set of use cases. Many companies stream event data into systems like Elastic or MongoDB because those systems gracefully handle schema drift. Many of those use cases would LOVE to switch to BigQuery if it could support schema drift.

2.) Autoschema detection needs improvement:

a.) It fails if fields are missing in the first 100 docs. There could be a (paid) option to do a full pass of the data before starting ingest. 3rd party github projects have been started and numerous stackoverflow pages validate this is a common conern.

b.) Fields with illegal characters (':', '@') cause auto schema detection to fail. There should be an option to remap illegal characters.

3.) Custom sharding restricted to timestamp fields -- When I shard on a non-timestamp field, I create "fake timestamps" by hashing that field. This is awkward and may be a non-obvious workaround for people who want to do a lookup without triggering a full column scan.

4.) Lack of Scheduled Queries. Numerous stack overflow pages ask about materialized views / scheduled queries on BQ. Users can easily work around with an external cronjob, but this could be burdensome for a class of users and seems like low hanging fruit to add.

5.) Small mismatches between BQ schema and Avro schema.

a.) BigQuery Schema can be specified in a JSON format which is very close to but not exactly the Avro JSON schema format. Why not add an option to specify the schema as an Avro schema? This would make it easier to integrate BQ to applications by leveraging the ecosystem of Avro tooling (e.g. code generators, avro reader/writers).

b.) Avro exports do not have a standalone schema file. This would be easy to generate and attach to the export and would make it easier to load bigquery exports. (For example, the exports could be loaded into Spanner which require an Avro schema as a standalone file or could be read with Avro readers that require a schema at initialization time).

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to shard data on a user field, realize that you can hash it and put it in a timestamp to get around the restriction.

Evaluation for personal project. I'm a noogler, so I wanted to get up to speed on GCP.

BigQuery review by Raymond H.
Raymond H.

"Excellent, affordable big data platform"

What do you like best?

The fact that I can store millions of records without it costing me a fortune. I like their web interface which allows me to look through my data and run queries on it from anywhere. I like that I can set everything up through the web interface.

It's also very easy to add more columns to data even after existing data is in place.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a big fan of Google Cloud Platform's support model. The cheapest option available is $150/month, which for a small business like ours almost doubles our monthly bill.

Other than that, I don't really have any complaints, but the only thing that comes to mind is that the client libraries are quite large.

Recommendations to others considering the product

BigQuery is easy to use and can handle a large amount of data before it starts costing you anything. Because of this, it's easy to evaluate how well it works for your needs before having to start paying.

They also have several large data sets that can be played with to learn your way around and get started including all of the source code on GitHub.

We needed to store large amounts of data for analytics purposes and BigQuery has allowed us to do that easily and without adding a lot of cost.

We've been able to start storing all of this analytics data and once we have enough to be useful I don't expect us to have a difficult time using it.

BigQuery review by Justin C.
Justin C.

"BigQuery is AMAZING"

What do you like best?

Low cost, low barrier to entry, and blazing fast. We're a relatively small company and BigQuery lets us handle 70+ TB of data with ease. It has been the catalyst of turning our company into a data driven one. It has integrations with all major data analysis tools. We couldn't imagine life without BigQuery.

What do you dislike?

Not with BigQuery stand alone, but it's integration with Data Studio sometimes is hard to debug when problems arise, and the errors it give can be unhelpful or cryptic.

Joining our company primary data with DFP and Google Analytics data. It allows us to do analysis across our entire company very quickly. We've gained insights into our business that were previously impossible. We can analyze consumer behaviors and quickly adapt our strategies. We replaced a failed 2 year hadoop cluster implementation with BigQuery and no additional engineering costs.

One example is we did an analysis of publish times for our articles, how they impacted not only traffic patterns, but how it impacted revenue. We were able to give our journalists dashboards that allowed them to learn what time of day was best to publish their article. This ultimately helped us improve revenue.

BigQuery review by Yosuke I.
Yosuke I.

"It's NEXT default Database for any users who want to handle a large scale dataset!!"

What do you like best?

Automatic processing for large scale data. Ausome web interface. Diverse Connectivity to Most BI tools including Microsoft Power BI and Google Data Studio. Thank you very much for your services!

What do you dislike?

Google Big Query is not support for mutil-byte characters for column name (ex. Japanese character). It's is essential part of data analysis for domestic use case. So I would like to recomment modification for this point as soon as possible if you want to earn new users outside of English economy. Also I'd like to make sure it is no functionality to remove columns after creation. Not need to say again, it's difficult to rename a table or dataset after creation. My these feedback imply to Google Big Query, give some tips to be migrative from some other major database such as MySQL. We love Google Big Query. So I expecet and believe your brightful future!! If I have opportunity to feedback directly to Googlers who are related to Google BIg Query, our team prvide you a large list of our wish list to make Google Big Query to be "Next Generation Default Database For Big Data!!"

We inset over GB class Patent datasets, research grants, open public data and academic papers includng large text data for showng on BI tools. Great speed. No waiting for users!!

BigQuery review by Adam T.
Adam T.

"Just beginning out journey with BigQuery"

What do you like best?

Fast execution time for extremely large datasets.

Cost effective - we only pay for storage and the execution time of our queries, allowing us to store large data sets in the cloud without needing to worry about excessive bills.

Serverless - we like the fact that we don't need resources to support our data platform, instead we can rely on Google Cloud

What do you dislike?

Interface is outdated (although I have see the new beta)

Visualising large data datas is not intuitive.

I would like an interface that allows non-SQL developers to create queries through some kind of visual interface - kind of like building a pivot table in Sheets/Excel, however supporting more of the complex features of SQL. Alternatively, provide a way to visualise common SQL queries so that non-developers can learn how to create common data queries.

I don't like that BigQuery is not tightly integrated into the Google Cloud Console like other tools.

It is common to have large datasets that you forget about. It would therefore be useful to support quickly see where your data sets are, how old they are, etc.

We are using Google Cloud as our online data warehouse to develop dashboards for our journalists and newsrooms to make data-driven decisions.

BigQuery is helping us to reduce costs in the production of content and generate more subscriptions.

BigQuery review by Jagadish C.
Jagadish C.

"Biquery - cost-effective and Scalable"

What do you like best?

The ability to scale, load, and deliver amazing performance. Just by switching from other "unnamed" big data platform we were able to reduce cost by a factor of 6 by judiciously using BigQuery. And we reduce the loading time by a factor of 5. This is probably the greatest contribution by Google to computing more than Machine Learning or other technologies.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much to dislike. The technology is probably irrelevant to smaller datasets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think I have written about my experience in detail. There is not much more to say.

We built an Entertainment database - users preference of movies/tv shows. The idea was to use this data to build an advertising model based on user preference. We also built an anonymized data export platform to export data based on location and thematic preferences.

BigQuery review by Jerome M.
Jerome M.

"A great Analytics-Back-End-as-a-Service for a SaaS vendor"

What do you like best?

The PaaS approach: no need to provision capacity, we only stream data as it is generated by our clients on our SaaS product. Then, as our clients use our analytics dashboard, interactive BQ queries are running to get data.

The query language (SQL) allows to write very complex queries (pages long queries), which always execute in a few seconds, no matter the complexity and the amount of data.

What do you dislike?

For our specific use case, the concurrent query quota being on the project, not on the dataset, is a limiting factor, always forcing us to design in minimizing the number of interactive queries. If this quota was on a dataset level, that would allow us to increase our usage further (and our spend on BQ).

We get a fully managed back-end system for our SaaS product analytics.

BigQuery review by Mykal A.
Mykal A.

"Responsive at scale"

What do you like best?

No matter the amount of data, BQ is very repsonsive. Deletes in SQL Server would take 1-2 hours over 100 million rows of data while BigQuery took minutes. Connecting our BigQuery to Tableau would ingest our entire results set in a matter of a few minutes and provide powerful analytics.

What do you dislike?

The web UI needs improvement and it would be nice if we could build something similar to stored procedures.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a knowledgable person building your schemas, otherwise you'll pay more for the table scans.

We are running analytics for healthcare quality metrics (NCQA measures). This requires hundreds of custom queries and plenty of staging, sorting, filtering of data. Once our results are complete, the final data set is loaded into a vizualization engine (Tableau).

BigQuery review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"Plug and Play Datawarehouse"

What do you like best?

Time to value. Big Query allows you to focus on the important things quickly without spending time ensuring your hardware matches your needs. We like having a smaller set of variables when it comes to improving performance. Most importantly is the business value it delivered, refer to section below for more detail.

What do you dislike?

As with learning anything new there was some pain around limiting/controlling expensive queries. When we first made the switch we had issues with performance and queries running for extended periods of time. Just make sure you have a good understanding of how to partition tables. Once you figure that component out, the result speed you can experience is mind blowing!

Recommendations to others considering the product

make the switch now.

We are powering our analytics with it. After trying to manage our own hadoop cluster and failing miserably in delivering value to the business, we decided to look into bigquery to sit on top of our data collection. With bigquery, our data team is in a position to incorporate new data quickly and deliver curated datasets to the business faster. As a result, we have accurate data in the hands of every business user to augment their decision making process. It is estimated we have realized $100k in value through cost savings, fueling new product launches, etc.

BigQuery review by Administrator

"Review"

What do you like best?

There's nothing I can say I really like about it. It is OK and I wish there were other options for by google analytics needs, but it gets the job done.

What do you dislike?

It's a little confusing to use. I really just need to get used to using it more.I really wish that I could recreate everything from Google Analytics in BQ. We were told by Google support that macthing data from a GA report to a BQ data set will never match up, especially with using the User ID feature in GA.

I work in the Health Insurance industry so we work with alot of PII and PHI. Google Analytics doesn't allow either into its tables. So, we have to put some data into GA and some into BQ. Then, match it up later on. This process is very combersome and could be avoided if one of two things would happen:

1) Google Analytics expanded its user agreement with 360 customers to allo the capturing of PHI and/or PII in its tables.

2) Allow the reporting capabilities already created in GA to sit on top of BQ tables. It would take a significant amount of time to recreated all the reporting capabilities in Tableau to produce the same results already availible in GA.

BigQuery review by Sara R.
Sara R.

"Amazing software"

What do you like best?

Google BigQuery is an amazing technology, but might not be the best solution depending on your needs. For example, if you query your data a lot, it can end up being very expensive, as BigQuery also charges per data processed on a query.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you have to pay for every query that you make.

I am solving our need to use multiple softwares for different things by using one hail all software

BigQuery review by Christophe N.
Christophe N.

"Perfect solution for analytics and logging "

What do you like best?

BigQuery is a great platform to perform analytics on big dataset. SQL is a great and powerful language and being able to query TBs of data in less than a minute is awesome. We use BigQuery to perform analysis on our logs and to identify trends in pricing for various items in different markets. Both the engineering team and the marketing team enjoy the tool.

What do you dislike?

We've often hit limitations in terms of query results size. Also, an interface to generate graphs out of query results directly in BigQuery would make the tool even more powerful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use table decorators for queries that are time boxed to avoid going over the whole table.

Integrate with Google Cloud Storage.

Analytics, stats aggregation which are then used on our product, logging.

BigQuery review by Fernando N.
Fernando N.

"Not only a database but a great processing framework"

What do you like best?

The agility of the processing and the flexibility of working with json -like schemas

What do you dislike?

Legacy sql is still the default on the interface. There should be easiers way to export results to GCS, instead of creating a temporary table and then exporting it

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have experience with other databases than you are good to go, just learn a little about nested schemas and read through the cookbook

Join data from Google Analytics with data imported from media sources and offline data to better drive marketings campaigns.

With BQ the amount of data that can be analysed fastly and with a low cost is astounishing

BigQuery review by User in Internet

"Use BigQuery for Simplicity"

What do you like best?

I used BigQuery to access Google Analytics data. We didn't pay for the storage, but we have to pay per query. Storage is pretty cheap on its own ($0.02/GB), so it's a good alternative to something like Redshift. Keep in mind you'll have to pay separately for query processing so the cost will end up being about the same.

The real advantage to BigQuery is you don't have to worry about provisioning. All the hardware and database configurations are handled behind the scenes, so working in BigQuery was a breeze, unlike Redshift where you'll need dedicated engineers to optimize your instance.

What do you dislike?

The syntax is SQL-like, but does differ from traditional syntax in many ways. I also used BigQuery in its early days, and I found that many standard aggregate/analytical functions were missing. I think this has changed a lot in the past several years, and Google for the most part provides good documentation on their site.

As an analyst, I much prefer working with GA's raw event data in BigQuery as opposed to the limited web interface. It made my work much more efficient, and allowed for much richer analyses to be completed.

BigQuery review by Joshua S.
Joshua S.

"I like getting the data. I don't like having to use a new version of SQL."

What do you like best?

I use BigQuery to access data from Google Analytics. Since I find the Google Analytics interface to be a hassle and because I'm pretty decent with SQL I'd rather use the raw data to access the data I'm interested in. For that reason BigQuery is super helpful.

What do you dislike?

The downside of the BigQuery for me is the different type of SQL that you need to have for it. I'd prefer to use the SQL version I'm comfortable with and not their own version. The other thing I find strange is the data storage setup. Each day's data is kept separate and to access multiple days you have to stack these together.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's some overhead in terms of getting started but otherwise it's worthwhile.

I'm trying to understand how our subscribers interact with our different platforms.

BigQuery review by Luciana M.
Luciana M.

"Affordable Data Analytics Tool"

What do you like best?

BigQuery is a great platform to store large amounts of data, at an affordable price.

The user interface is nice and rather easy to understand and use. The documentation available (from Google), is of great use when you are new on the subject.

What do you dislike?

I think the pricing for small amounts of data should be a little lower, giving the fact that charges are made according to how much data you store. Rather than that, I don't have any complaint about the software.

Big Query in our company is used to store large amounts of information about our clients, to understand how they interact with our platform.

BigQuery review by Eliot J.
Eliot J.

"bq review"

What do you like best?

I really like the simplicity of use with bigquery. It only takes a few minutes to be up and running. All of your typical sql commands will work so no need to learn a lot of new sytax to get started. Additionally I like the direct integration with google cloud studio.

What do you dislike?

I would like big query a little more if there were better documentation on standard migration patterns from more typical data warehouses.

we have a legscy data warehouse solution teradata that we would like to replace with a cloud bsed offereing.

BigQuery review by User in Higher Education

"Perfect for Big Data Storage and Collection"

What do you like best?

I like how I can reach big datasets for analysis through BigQuery, such as Reddit dataset. Also, the initial subscription comes with 300$ value of data storage use.

What do you dislike?

I am used to R language and Python; I had to learn basics of SQL to retrieve data. Not a big hassle nowadays because there are a bunch of free introductory online courses out there, yet I had to invest more time in it.

The main reason I use BigQuery is to collect data for Social Network Analysis. There are a number of interesting datasets publicly available through BigQuery; which is a gold mine.

BigQuery review by Kris S.
Kris S.

"BigQuery works well"

What do you like best?

Does what's advertised and is great for quick queries. Can become slow if sharing slots but incredibly powerful in relation to the amount of data my company stores.

What do you dislike?

The UI isn't very intuitive and takes some time getting used to finding where things are. Navigating to find storage, dataflow jobs etc. Also if you're not well versed in SQL and performance, you can find yourself doing terrible queries (shuffles) that can run for hours.

Doing quick analysis on large datasets. Very easy to interface with our data as well as build a data pipeline.

BigQuery review by Jason S.
Jason S.

"Great product for querying lots of data"

What do you like best?

It is extremely fast to query lots of data and has lots of tooling to help write queries. It also has a ton of new tools coming out to visualize the data that you pull for non technical people to have.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes certain queries make the data processed explode for very non obvious reasons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its easy. Do it.

Its a very versatile database that allows us to use it for many purposes which makes things easy. We use it for event storage and all analytics driven from them.

BigQuery review by Leonardo N.
Leonardo N.

"Serverless Data Warehousing with full capabilities "

What do you like best?

You don't have to worry about clusters and memory and disk or anything else.

Just Import your data and start to query. Simple and Powerful.

What do you dislike?

Not having native drivers for every enviroment like ODBC.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try-it and you will love it.

MArketing Analytics become easier. Usually marketing efforts come and go and you need to handle intense projects overnight or during some specific days or weeks.

Without the server overhead, you can just plug BigQuery into your analysis needs and use it as you need.

BigQuery review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Extremely simple to use"

What do you like best?

It is extremely simple to load data into BigQuery. The support a different number of methods like CSV upload, post data or even live streaming of logs. You are able to do analytics and generate meaningful reports with simple SQL knowledge. The learning curve is pretty flat. There are also a number of reporting tools that play well with their APIs. The documentation is pretty great.

The pricing is also very reasonable and they split it out by storage cost and query cost, so you have a decent estimate of your bill.

What do you dislike?

You cannot updates and alter tables easily. This is not a drawback per say, but takes some getting used to. Sometimes the UI tool of big query is buggy, but it has its own quirks and is not too difficult to get used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out their 90 day free trial which gives you $300 in credit. The pricing is quite reasonable and you can evaluate it will in 90 days. There are a few other products this works well with, like google cloud storage, if you are using those to store logs.

Understanding how users interact with our website. Understanding the most popular pages by time, county, domain. Understanding how ads perform on our website, etc

BigQuery review by Bin Y.
Bin Y.

"service"

What do you like best?

being a managed service, no worry about scaling up, like the performance on bigQuery. I have not use GCP much, mostly in AWS, like the APIs provided for all Google services.

What do you dislike?

I have not used this in development/test/production. In AWS, through redshift spectrum, can query structured data in object store directly. I have not use much BigQuery, don't know if bigQUery has this capability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can BigQuery query structured object in object store directly?

Performance on large amount of data

BigQuery review by Consultant in Computer Software
Consultant in Computer Software

"I am using BIgQuery as analytical database to build Looker POC for customers"

What do you like best?

Performance, low entry barrier for small companies (since charge is per query), being able to split and unnest string data is very neat too. I like that Google Transfer Service makes it easy to ETL data to you can start enrichingand analysing it right away. I also like pretty high concurrency.

What do you dislike?

It seems more difficult to setup (UI not very intuitive) than competing product. If there would be an option to have higher concurrency with higher pricing, it would be great. Some companies start with fewer people but might scale up so it wouldbe nice to scale together with BiqQuery instead of having to switch to another tehcnology.

Getting real time analytical insights from massive datasets.

BigQuery review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"Very Easy to Setup and Fast Analytics"

What do you like best?

It is so fast to setup and the queries to load the data is very easy to understand. Pricing is competitive and the data analytics is top notch. It is able to handle tons of data and I haven't had any problems adding lots of data to the system and for it to be able to handle the analytics afterward is just amazing.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how I can't customize a lot of options that I would be able to if I was hosting the database on my own server. Google abstracts a lot of the hardware and management away from the user. So you are simply just adding data and running queries on that data.

We are using BigQuery to hold a portion of our log and analytics data to be used by business analysts to figure out how our customers are using our products.

BigQuery review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Financial Services
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Financial Services

"Big Query review"

What do you like best?

I like the fact I can use standard sql langunage which makes it much more adjustable and have better practices,

I like the guides for transforming standard sql to legacy sql - very informative

I like the fact I have on details the last update time

What do you dislike?

Most of the errors when running a wrong query are hard to locate in case of long queries,

Also moving between standard and legacy sql makes you to open each time the further option, tick/untick and change the syntax of the whole query, if there would be an auto translater it would be much easier

We are solving this as another use for complaince and monitoring system records output

BigQuery review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"I have been using BigQuery for over 2 years for analytics, logging and more."

What do you like best?

• Affordable pricing

• Fully-managed service

• No configuration required

• Easy to use

What do you dislike?

I wish BigQuery had a user interface in the Google Developer Console to insert content and modify and table. Right now you can only run a read-only query.

I'm using BigQuery to solve 3 major problems:

• Analytics:

The data created by users are streamed into BigQuery so I can run complex queries to produce analytics that will be rendered for both users and data analysts.

• Logging:

I'm creating a lot of logs, which sometimes must be kept in a persistent storage for future analysis (in case of a bug, feature improvement, stats, etc).

BigQuery makes it easy to store and search that kind of content on very large datasets.

• Complex relational queries:

Since I'm also using the Google Datastore, which is a non-relational datastore, I can't make queries using JOINs at all. But BigQuery offers me the possibility to import entire Datastore tables so I can run complex and highly relational queries on my application data.

BigQuery offers a solution to query large amount of data that is affordable, flexible and very polyvalent without needing any sys-admin.

BigQuery review by Glenn E.
Glenn E.

"A Big Data Developers Best Friend"

What do you like best?

BigQuery is the easiest tool I've used to analyze very large sets of data in a familiar SQL syntax.

What do you dislike?

The BigQuery UI is an eyesore, and, while full-featured, does not allow for iterative query development. My teams perfer to query directly via the SDKs.

We needed a large data warehouse to store near-real time data for analytical purposes. With BQ we have empowered our marketing users to have up-to-date (nearly live) data from which to make decisions.

BigQuery review by Jorge B.
Jorge B.

"Big Query solves a lot of issues for us"

What do you like best?

WHat is awesome about big Query is the quick turnaround on procssing. We get high level of processing with a computed result in very short time.

What do you dislike?

In order to massage the data for different use cases an export to BigTable is required. this makes releases very cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure yur data is optimized for this platform and the particular use case you are attempting to deploy for.

real-time in game recommendatiobs to drive player engagement.

BigQuery review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Easy and accessible"

What do you like best?

Getting up and going on BigQuery is very easy; especially when compared to a similar offering like RedShift, which has way more overhead to understand and get started.

Cost and setup is easy to understand and very visible. Lots of docs and tutorials, basically getting from 0 to going full speed can be achieved very quickly.

What do you dislike?

The feature-set can feel a little obtuse. While getting started is very easy, working out whether BigQuery is actually a good fit for my use case took quite a while. I've ended up evaluating it on several different occasions, and turned away from it in favor of solutions that fit my problem better.

Data warehousing

BigQuery review by Tim W.
Tim W.

"BigQuery"

What do you like best?

There is a lot of information that can be gathered, if you know how to use the product

What do you dislike?

This has a very high learning curve. I started from using MySQL, but still find this product to be a bit hard to learn. The costs associated with each report run can also become very expensive, very fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Support is very minimal, and I believe a lot of engineering support is required on your end to implement

We don't have a great backend reporting system, so BigQuery eliminates the engineering time to bring everything together.

BigQuery review by ManChon (Kevin) U.
ManChon (Kevin) U.

"Very cost effective serverless cloud data warehouse solution"

What do you like best?

It's serverless, mean that I am not payting anything while I am not using it. It's very cost effective for people who are in the very beginning of exploring could storage soultion as well as for people who are evaluating externprise level storage solution.

What do you dislike?

IAM function is weak, access control is not as sophistacted as expected, can't integrated w/ Windows AD.

Analytics & Data Science. Serverless is the biggest selling point.

BigQuery review by Ole D.
Ole D.

"Scale out of the box"

What do you like best?

I'm amazed by this technology. Scale out of the box, any join of data is possible at any scale. While there is a cost component to care about this gives possibilities that required significant work out of the box.

What do you dislike?

Its a lock down to gcp. But the biggest mis for me is not being able to partitioning by anytime else then date

Analysing big sets of business data both for analytics and building products

BigQuery review by Ansel R.
Ansel R.

"Powerful and flexible"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to load large datasets and query across disparate data sources once loaded.

What do you dislike?

The sql was non standard but supports standard sql. However, we are now split between queries using the legacy sql and standard sql.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a way to automate the loading of the data and you will be good to go.

We are solving our reporting needs.

Queries are much faster.

BigQuery review by Jann K.
Jann K.

"An absolute no-brainer."

What do you like best?

The ease of getting started is amazing - all you need is a web browser and since it supports Standard SQL there are many query examples available. Rolling it out to all our staff was therefore seamless .

What do you dislike?

With the UI, change the default SQL setting from Legacy to Standard SQL.

We mainly use BigQuery for our our feature engineering and ETL processes for our Google Cloud ML Engine training jobs.

BigQuery review by Sergio S.
Sergio S.

"BigQuery with JSON files"

What do you like best?

What I like the most is the console to query the tables that I upload to the platform.

What do you dislike?

I hate that when you automatically generate the schema of a JSON file it does not allow you to export it. (I mean, download the schema that the platform has automatically generated in JSON format)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend this page to configure your JSON files.

I analyze the databases that we have stored in google cloud storage.

BigQuery review by Pradeepkumar K.
Pradeepkumar K.

"Big Query a super cool product for analytics!!"

What do you like best?

The learning is very simple. Anyone who already knows concepts of SQL, unix commands can easily start using big query in 2-3 days, The UI is very good, one can query very huge datasets easily like we do in any SQL client query window.

Also big query has a great command line tool "bq" once you install the google cloud setup and your data is in cloud its matter of seconds to load many gigabytes text/json data from files to table. Even the transfer between cloud to local and local to cloud is simple and faster with other tool - gsutil.

What do you dislike?

1. Its costly!!! One bad query to select all from a huge table in a for loop may cost hundreds of dollars. So queries must be written for the data what you need! Table stats and row count etc can be easily seen on table UI under details.

2. It is still growing, there are many cool SQL in built functions to be added. Also they are yet to release SQL function feature for big query. But for tables, views, regex and normal features its working great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a simple and great tool! The only thing to be considered is its not an open source as many other big data tools but that has its own pros & cons!

Building datasets on big query for analysts.

BigQuery review by Ben H.
Ben H.

"Fast and Compatible with Most Google Products"

What do you like best?

BigQuery runs fast even with extremely large datasets with millions of rows.

What do you dislike?

Date formatting can be finicky and not being able to delete columns from existing tables.

BigQuery has helped my business organize it's marketing analytics data and transform multiple datasets into a unified dataset for comprehensive analysis. It's much easier to do this kind of work in BiqQuery than in Excel.

BigQuery review by Consultant

"BigQuery is Fast and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I like how quickly I am able to filter billions of rows of my data. I also like how easily it can be integrated into Jupyter notebooks.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the default is Legacy SQL. I think the interface could be a little bit cleaner.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot. It's quick and easy to set up and get started with.

I am doing exploratory data analysis for a client looking to evaluate the utility of a new data set. I was able to load the data into BQ easily and quickly get to work querying and analyzing it.

BigQuery review by Jérémy D.
Jérémy D.

"Software Project Manager"

What do you like best?

Fast and great Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS) solution for cloud native companies and anyone working with big datasets.

With BigQuery, you can achieve near real-time analysis.

BigQuery supports more than SQL.

BigQuery can analyze data external to its storage.

What do you dislike?

UI might need a refresh to become a more easy to use solution.

Querying last datasets to reate insights for our clients.

BigQuery review by Paul D.
Paul D.

"Connecting our Gmail to BigQuery"

What do you like best?

The ease of connecting BigQuery to our Gmail to collect metadata.

The associated cost was affordable and transparent.

What do you dislike?

The GUI was a bit difficut to use and confusing.

The queries did not work the way we expected them to but we got them.

Visibility into our gmail metadata logs to prevent phishing and get more details on email metrics.

BigQuery review by Manuel G.
Manuel G.

"Best solution to get access to your data"

What do you like best?

Bigquery is very fast, allowing anyone in the organization with some sql background to answer business questions

What do you dislike?

you have to be carefull while running queries in order to make them as optimal as possible. Making easy for people to make expensive mistakes

We use bigquery on a daily basis to anwser questions about how our ad product performs

BigQuery review by User in Financial Services

"Powerful but complicated "

What do you like best?

I like the range of options for data analysis that this program offers. I have been able to utilize much larger data sets.

What do you dislike?

Complicated! There was a major learning curve for me and I did not find that many resources online. I wish the had a more robust customer experience option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend offering more robust customer service as well as options for online training. It is a complicated system and these offerings would ensure that the most value is being gained from using the product.

We are attempting to get a more robust understanding of our customers and how they interact with our product across channels.

BigQuery review by Nate P.
Nate P.

"It makes my life easy"

What do you like best?

All the flexibility of having an on prem with none of the headaches.

What do you dislike?

There isnt a 1:1 mapping to AWS products so I generally have to explain what it does.

I am working with a large tech company and dealing with an asycn SFDC instance; BQ is a great mechanism for us to analyze and process data

BigQuery review by User in Higher Education

"Positive review from a College Graduate Student"

What do you like best?

Very user friendly for someone familiar with Google’s other tools and functionality. The program was clean, straightforward, and easy to use. I also found it helpful that there were many tutorials and guides available on line.

What do you dislike?

The language was similar to SQL but could have been improved in some areas. I think the language will be easier to master with more time practicing win the program.

Analyzing large data sets involving county and city transportation assets. Data included asset condition, quantities, type, performance, and budget. Many figures and tables were created to add to a report document.

BigQuery review by Bidhya S.
Bidhya S.

"SQL developer Best Friend"

What do you like best?

If you know SQL, No learning curve.

Pay for what you use ( in terms of what column you select on)

What do you dislike?

functionality different beween standard sql and legacy

we are using big query as a validation tool. It has been extremely useful to folks from data scientist to developers because of it traditional SQL-like nature

BigQuery review by Paul M.
Paul M.

"Best SQL interface for a relational database"

What do you like best?

Extremely easy to pull up and run quick ad-hoc analysis for clients. Easy to injest and export data in json format.

What do you dislike?

no automatic data transfer service between cloud storage and bq. currently have to run dataflow or app engine cron jobs for automatic injestion. create ui for setting up auto and streaming transfers?

marketing, ml

BigQuery review by Veer S.
Veer S.

"Great DB to work with"

What do you like best?

We use big query for all of our analytics and and machine learning needs

What do you dislike?

At first it was a little difficult to get started with, but with the vast knowledge base and community behind big query it was simple to pick up.

We're utilizing big query for all of our analytics and machine learning purposes.

BigQuery review by Anatoly G.
Anatoly G.

"Great performance for very large datasets, without need to set up additional infrastructure"

What do you like best?

if you're already using Cloud Storage + Compute engine, using BigQuery is a no-brainer. We were able to import and start querying over 500GB of data in < 3 hours (upload to query)!

What do you dislike?

UI is a little clunky, and while SQL support is strong, it doesn't support some thing we'd expect. I guess that's improving though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

if you have large datasets, use GCS and have ad-hoc query requirements.

we wanted to analyze several very large datasets without importing them into our database.

BigQuery review by Sagar B.
Sagar B.

"Big improvements !"

What do you like best?

very impressed with the speed of queries these days. A few years ago the query write times were 10x of what they are now.

What do you dislike?

Dont have anything to say. The user interface could use improvments. Being able to run BigQuery on different datasources would be very cool.

High randomized reads of id mappings

BigQuery review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"RDBMS killer"

What do you like best?

With the sale and the inherenet SQL capabilities BQ has the oppotunity to absorb workloads from Oracel, BD2 & Teradaata. Then those other databases can be "sun setted." with little pain.

What do you dislike?

The expense - Select * from large table > Select Name, age from large table. In the corporate world the use of SQL has been loosley governed. They do not "See" or pay for the cost of "select *' type of queries and complex joins. BQ needs more data modeling best practices and templates to be viable

EDW replacement

BigQuery review by Alex. D.
Alex. D.

"powerful, fast, almost best in class"

What do you like best?

ease of use, price, power, integration with google suite

What do you dislike?

could not compete with amazon aurora for needing a SQL based large scale data warehouse (5 TB+)

Recommendations to others considering the product

try it - it's either this or AWS!

Moving on premise SQL Server and other databases to the cloud to save money, increase privacy, increase performance

BigQuery review by Guilherme C.
Guilherme C.

"Recently got introduced to the tool"

What do you like best?

The ability to easily import datasets into the tool. The way in which it integrates with other Google Products such as Analytics and DoubleClick.

What do you dislike?

The fact that depending on the load, the performance can be impacted. Datasets that would normally import under a minute, now take up to 10 min.

Marketing analytics

"Analytics made simple"

What do you like best?

The ease of use for multiple formats is extremely useful. Add to that the ability to pipe in and out data from any other product renders it an integral part of any org's analytics platform.

What do you dislike?

It requires a better way to plug into CloudML. For any machine learning model, having to exporrt from BQ to GCS before consuming the data in the model is sub-optimal.

We leverage for analytics on behalf of our clients. It has helped clients move away from expensive on premise solutions and reduce costs

BigQuery review by User

"Easy to naviagate and store your datasets"

What do you like best?

The ease of ingesting data into BigQuery makes analyzing your data fast. Run queries is simple once your data is load. Speed to insights is key in business

What do you dislike?

Up until recently there wasn't integration into Google Sheets and Excel for ingesting data and running queries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and you'll be happy.

Creating a data warehouse can be scary for businesses and they think they need a data expert but with BigQuery you can start ingesting your data for very low cost and run queries and get to visualizations.

BigQuery review by Steve G.
Steve G.

"Good Performance on Bigquery"

What do you like best?

good perfomrance, and sql syntax and convenience to access.

What do you dislike?

no too much dislike. it is good for storing structured data. and i have nothing to compliain

data warehouse type of workload. our current dataware house is hosted on netezza . bigquery is a good candidate to be migrated to .

BigQuery review by JOHNPAUL SANTHAKUMAR M.
JOHNPAUL SANTHAKUMAR M.

"Extremely Quick"

What do you like best?

This product is extremely scalable and quick. Very useful for data analytics and insights. cheap in storage.

What do you dislike?

really expensive for query in data analytics. charged by query results volume. most of the time its results are expensive. Google has to change the pricing strategy for this

data analytics and insights

BigQuery review by User in Computer Software

"Cutting edge MPP DB"

What do you like best?

Maintenance is minimal which saves us time. It's extremely easy to spin up a new instance for our prospects and customers. This small barrier makes it an easy choice to recommend to these prospects or customers.

What do you dislike?

The simplest queries can take a full second or two because of the elasticity. Some database can be faster when dealing with small data sets.

We use it as our analytical database behind Looker. We have full view of our business. Also helping implement it behind Looker for other organizations.

BigQuery review by Javier F.
Javier F.

"Give BogQuery a try!"

What do you like best?

BigQuery allows to totally forget about your data storage layer and concentrate on your code.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit confusing the legace vs standard thing. Also, documentation could be improved.

We have a real time email analytics product that we've developed in record time thanks to BigQuery. .

BigQuery review by Matt O.
Matt O.

"Makes limiting access to data easy"

What do you like best?

I can limit users to individual specific views on more restricted databases so the users have least privilege access

What do you dislike?

I don't like the new look Google just rolled out with, I was used to having the "share" button where it was previously.

Business intelligence metrics, UX metrics

BigQuery review by Bibin V.
Bibin V.

"Serverless data warehouse"

What do you like best?

Serverless aspect of BQ.. Not having to think about infrastructure and pay only for what you use .

What do you dislike?

The UI and check boxes to run query are too clicky and have to uncheck some of the efaults

Using it as a data store for reporting

BigQuery review by Abhishek R.
Abhishek R.

"Google BQ"

What do you like best?

Performance, Speed, Storage Scalibility, Nested Columns, Table Copy

What do you dislike?

BQ Load has few limitations like load rate, reject capture

We are migrating our traditional on prem data warehouse to google and from speed, scalibility to analytical scope we are really looking forward to use it

BigQuery review by Ameya K.
Ameya K.

"Using BigQuery for Big Data"

What do you like best?

- Quick query reponse time

- Cached query results for re-execution of the same query drastically improves the Dasboard and Visualization performance

- Nested JSON support

What do you dislike?

No proper support for CSV files with quotes, escape characters, etc.

Quick dashboard reponse using query caching.

BigQuery review by Bear S.
Bear S.

"It's cool"

What do you like best?

Support SQL to use easily, and search speed is fast.

What do you dislike?

The document can be more example and use case for function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be care of the data process price. .

Analytics for huge logs. Search quickly and export to csv can be virtualize.

BigQuery review by Arthur M.
Arthur M.

"Fast and easy to use overall"

What do you like best?

Enjoy the support for classic sql and the abilty to query large data sets quickly.

What do you dislike?

Having to check box legacy sql when trying to do certain things and being unable to save that setting

Provding scalable high quality data from ecommerce.

BigQuery review by User

"SQL for large data sets"

What do you like best?

It's SQL, but I don't have to setup a SQL server.

What do you dislike?

It is geared to those already familiar with SQL. For my team, that is not an issue. But will be a bit of an issue for some of the people that we service.

We load in lots of biological data and want to query based on a variety of features. Anyone on our team can query it and we don't have to administer a database.

BigQuery review by Ryan C.
Ryan C.

"Great UI, nice features, lacks stored procedures!"

What do you like best?

1. Great UI

2. Ability to see query execution time

3. Automatic formatting

4. Determine ahead of time if the query is written correctly

What do you dislike?

BigQuery lacks stored procdures which is a big gap.

data exploration, data preprocessing, analytics

BigQuery review by Rohan M.
Rohan M.

"Google Cloud BigQuery"

What do you like best?

we use bq for data analytics and dashboarding for our infra footprint. very happy with it so far

What do you dislike?

Not explored to the extent that I would describe any disappintments.

Queryin Asset Analytics through out the infrastructure org.

BigQuery review by Nikita B.
Nikita B.

"BigQuery review"

What do you like best?

the agility of queries and ability to run selected part of the query

What do you dislike?

switching between projects can get confusing

Recommendations to others considering the product

Doing the labs and test dataset provided really helps in evaluating

Looking at BugQuery as prospective solution

BigQuery review by Humberto R.
Humberto R.

"building our data warehouse on google bigquery "

What do you like best?

it's really quick and cheap, able to process a lot of data in matter of seconds

What do you dislike?

don't have a way to import data on specific patterns, like for example date could appear on different formats

Analytics

BigQuery review by SUkruthi C.
SUkruthi C.

"easy to work with"

What do you like best?

I like that we can preview the dataq without querying it

What do you dislike?

It's hard to do joins or other transformations

It's easy to get started with big Query and customers love that fact though it's expensive.

BigQuery review by victor s.
victor s.

"super fast performance"

What do you like best?

speed and ease of use. once you get to know how to model your data there, it's super efficient

What do you dislike?

security. i'd like to have table level security rather than dagta set level

data warehousing

BigQuery review by Saad S.
Saad S.

"My Review"

What do you like best?

Speed of results. Also the ability to move data around.

What do you dislike?

UI, always defaults to LegacySQL.. Query formatting is also not great

Ad tech. Benefits are the speed in which we can make analysis

BigQuery review by Rishi G.
Rishi G.

"really appreciate your product quality"

What do you like best?

the log processing engine we created based out of big query increased performance 3 folds atleast

What do you dislike?

the documentation was a bit of a problem. Not so helpful. Had to play around more

log processing

BigQuery review by L. E. Ronni D.
L. E. Ronni D.

"Big Query - THe Next BIG Thing In Data Mappping"

What do you like best?

Robust!!! More powerful and usful than Excel.

What do you dislike?

Too many options and functionalities. There are too many fields to select from.

We just began. Tax payers, Audit of SEC FS and Chient data.

BigQuery review by User

"Easy to use and powerful"

What do you like best?

I like how I can scale BigQuery to my needs so that I don't create additional cost or waste.

What do you dislike?

The interface is similar to other google product interfaces. If you aren't familiar with google interfaces there might be a slight learning curve.

We are using Big Query to process data we store on premsise but move to GCP. We have found benefits in speed, testing and expirementation.

BigQuery review by Dmitry S.
Dmitry S.

"Best tool to process large datasets"

What do you like best?

It's really powerful. Easy to import data from various sources. Integration with Google Cloud Platform.

What do you dislike?

Old UI in console, but hopefully they will fix this soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's cheap, so you can easily try it and see if it meets your requirements. It's especially useful if you use Google Cloud Platform, since it has a lot of integrations.

Not so large datasets with millions of entities. For some tasks it's much cheaper to use bigquery than running mapreduce jobs.

BigQuery review by Albert Z.
Albert Z.

"very good product. bettter than all competitions out there"

What do you like best?

integration with other google services.

serverless

fast

What do you dislike?

cost

need to expand more features beyond simiple sql functions

data warehouse, ETL

fast time to market, no need to bug IT

BigQuery review by Gyorgy G.
Gyorgy G.

"Speed and Availability"

What do you like best?

Google Big Query speed is amaizing, always available and needs no maintenace from us.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is a little bit confusing switching from Standard to Legacy SQL

Business Insights

BigQuery review by Ivan R.
Ivan R.

"Great Simple Solution to manage your data lake"

What do you like best?

Abstraction from hardware simplifies the scalability challenge.

What do you dislike?

Some internal errors are not obvious for an end user. It required to go through the Support Team.

Product system behavior analytics.

BigQuery review by Alain L.
Alain L.

"Awsome "

What do you like best?

It's really fast to run queies over a large amount of data

What do you dislike?

the query editor , when i hit f5 it refresh the page

reporting, it's being great

BigQuery review by User

"Powerfull data consulting product"

What do you like best?

BigQuery is a powerfull Big Data servise. Its response time is really short. You can obtain result of your SQL request over billons of rows in times below minute

What do you dislike?

Maybe the result set could be more interactive, so you can select several columns to copy

We perform some of the ETL process with BigQuery. It has reduce the time we spent in order of magnitude

BigQuery review by 逸 .
逸 .

"Good Integration within GCP"

What do you like best?

- integration with Dataflow and Pubsub

- client library is good to use

What do you dislike?

wish more free tier quota for testing

Analyzing Log. Query speed is amazing.

BigQuery review by Arturo S.
Arturo S.

"Digital Analytics Architect"

What do you like best?

Speed, scalability. The performance of this environment compared to internal resources.

What do you dislike?

Latency, waiting for the data to become available after collected

BDW extract, adhoc reporting and analysis

BigQuery review by Ravi B.
Ravi B.

"Performamce"

What do you like best?

scalabale and speed and it turn around time is very good

What do you dislike?

this should be used individually, why to use BigTable for staging when it is too cosytly

none

BigQuery review by Administrator

"First Win Came Quick"

What do you like best?

It's fast, cheap, and scalable, with seamless integration with the rest of GCP.

What do you dislike?

I run into issues with accidentally making legacy tables and then trying to query with non-legacy SQL. Something needs to go better with making better defaults or something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just get it. It will cost next to nothing to try.

Our business is creating a business intelligence platform on top of BigQuery.

BigQuery review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Easy to create business insight "

What do you like best?

Big query is very powerful tool to build complex queries . In addition, we can easily create a business insight using 3rd party tool

What do you dislike?

This product is designed to support more development / engineering activities.

solving hospital readmission and population health management. Ability to identify patient EMR data / hospital records , labs etc.. and create a model to predict the hospital re-admission

BigQuery review by Naa-Oboshie A.
Naa-Oboshie A.

"Easy to learn"

What do you like best?

What I like best is that Qwiklabs makes it easy to try out

What do you dislike?

From a learning perspective, what I dislike is nothing so far.

Curiosity

BigQuery review by Consultant

"Enterprise Scale for large data sets"

What do you like best?

BigQuery helps you to quickly get results from your query for extremely large data sets and basically uses the same SQL syntax that everyone is so familiar with. Scanning a 21GB sized table with over 130M rows took just about 3 seconds.

What do you dislike?

Cant think of anything that I dont like with BigQuery.

Getting results quickly for queries run on extremely large datasets.

BigQuery review by Stephen C.
Stephen C.

"A great tools for managing huge data"

What do you like best?

simple and don't need to manage the backend infrastructure

What do you dislike?

I need to be careful for cost / expense

datawarehouse and deriving insights from data

BigQuery review by User

"Modern interface for the world of petabyte scale datasets"

What do you like best?

The UI is extreemly responive even when dealing with large datasets. Makes it easy to query large datasets

What do you dislike?

Dataset organization is a bit confusing. I am not sure why I have to create datasets and tables, why cant I just store data directly to datasets or why cant I create tables without having to create a dataset.

Analysis of large datasets

BigQuery review by User

"Great combination and performance and value"

What do you like best?

Ability to run large queries with a scalable back-end, enabling high speed performance no matter the amount of data.

What do you dislike?

Limits on query results and the requirement to split data into multiple files if over 500mb.

The ability to work with large enterprise datasets, with low cost storage and efficient computation. We have seen 1000x speed ups with some of our data.

BigQuery review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Awesome black-magic!"

What do you like best?

The black-magic inside big-query is amazing, is very useful and easy to learn and cheap.

What do you dislike?

The same: black-magic inside big query, I want to know more about how big query works.

Legacy SQL as default SQL language for query editor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More documentation and delete legacy SQL as default language on query editor.

Business analytics on a website where we have millions of users.

BigQuery review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Personal Experience"

What do you like best?

The ease on experience with which even a beginner can use the Google BigQuery is definitely a plus point.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as such. But I would really like to see a more fluid UI and a better promotional tool.

Currently I am in finance sector and we are trying to solve our daily transactions routing through BigQuery. Earlier we used Mainframes for that.

BigQuery review by User in Fine Art
User in Fine Art

"Good stuff"

What do you like best?

I like how it handles massive streaming inserts without having to manually batch and control data inflow.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet...it abstracts away a lot of previous architectural considerations when I used to use AWS.

We are storing large amounts of auction data in BigQuery. It has allowed us to quickly query that data as well as integrate into Dataflow for processing

* We monitor all Google BigQuery reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.