Google Tag Manager

It can take weeks to get website code updated or to release a new version of your app. Move faster with Google Tag Manager. Add and update your own tags for easy conversion tracking, site analytics, remarketing, and more.

Work for Google Tag Manager?

Learning about Google Tag Manager?

Google Tag Manager Reviews

Ask Google Tag Manager a Question
Showing 234 Google Tag Manager reviews
Google Tag Manager review by Josh L.
Josh L.

"Great For Managing Website Tags"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager is a perfect solution for consolidating website tracking tags. GTM provides easy to use management tools that allow you to get extremely specific with how and when tags fire. GTM cleans up all the various tags on your site and replaces them with a small bit of neat code.

What do you dislike?

After using GTM for years now, I have not run into any issues with it. Whenever I have a very specific use case where I need to create a custom tag, there is always a solution in GTM. I have not come across any instances where I couldn't add a tag that I wanted.

I use Google Tag Manager from the perspective of a digital marketer to help with digital marketing tracking. It is very useful in keeping tags organized and setting up specific firing specifications. I have found it beneficial in setting up conversion tracking.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Google Tag Manager
Google Tag Manager review by Jacob S.
Jacob S.

"Very simple to use, limited space"

What do you like best?

GTM is an extremely easy to use platform and user friendly. When someone talks about firing tags and pixels they immediately think of hardcoding and needing engineer involvement, but the simplified UX design of the site is easy to maneuver.

What do you dislike?

I understand that is a free service, but the character space limit is a pitfall. Also, that there are issues with multiple containers being fired on a page can cause issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at different ways you can trigger your pixel. If you are triggering pixels off certain regex keywords the container could get bogged down by character limit. Look to simplify the triggers as much as possible.

We use the GTM containers to fire multiple hashtags on sites that we do not have readily developer access to. This allows us to update tags and pixels without having our client use their engineer team and saves us a lot of time.

What Tag Management solution do you use?

Google Tag Manager review by Duraid S.
Duraid S.

"I consider GTM essential for all online marketers and CRO's"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity and the speed. I rarely add scripts directly into my site's code, I just use Google Tag Manager since it makes it so easy to manage and edit everything in one, central dashboard.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike about Google Tag Manager. It does require some technical knowledge if you want to do more advanced implementations, but compared to the alternative (of working in your website's source code), using Google Tag Manager makes it much easier to keep track of everything and stay organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're not using it already, you definitely should. Especially if you have a team, because you can manage user permissions and easily see what tags are live on your site at any given moment, as well as any changes that someone else on your team might have made.

Centralizing our different scripts/tags (such as remarketing codes, A/B Testing scripts, conversion tracking and analytics, etc.) and speeding up our website (especially when you have 10-20 different scripts, having them in your source code can slow down your website, which is why I recommend using GTM instead).

Google Tag Manager review by Luciano Gabriel G.
Luciano Gabriel G.

"Tag your site without kwowing anything about coding"

What do you like best?

My knowledge of HTML is really basic when it becames to websites but with GTM, this job got completely different. With GTM I was able to tag multiple sites, for different Digital Specialities at the same time, such as Facebook, Programmatic Buying (Double Click products), SEM, etc.

It's so easy to use and you have a lot of variables to choose from. So I can say it is really customizable to what you trully want/need.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to find something i dislike about this product, specially because I have use it several times and really have found barely mistakes.

What a con I see on this, is that you can't really tag your website in a way that you can see the REAL traffic you can get, for that you are forced to use Analytics, although I would like to have that metric in the same product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When it becomes to Digital Advertising Campaigns, I highly recommend this product. Specially because you can use only one Account to use with multiple websites (or multiple clients websites). I also work as a Freelancer and this got me a lot of work nowadays.

When it became to Digital Advertising, GTM is the best! You can use strategies such as Retargeting, LookALike, etc, using the Floodlights you've implemented on the website, and mixing it with other google products, such as DCM (in the case of Programmatic buying for example)

Google Tag Manager review by Andrea S.
Andrea S.

"Makes a non-developer's life a breeze"

What do you like best?

I work at an advertising agency that also manages some of our clients' websites. I am by no means a web developer, but I have to be able to add and remove campaign tracking codes from client sites quickly. I am not familiar with many .php settings and I really hesitate to change any code on a site directly. Tag Manager is like a back door that's a lot easier to get in to. There's a lot less room for error as well, since you're only editing one small piece of code rather the the core site files. So even if you managed to implement the tag incorrectly, you more than likely didn't break the entire site by doing so and it's a lot easier to diagnose and correct your error.

What do you dislike?

It does take some getting used to and experimentation, but that's pretty standard with most of the core Google products. One thing that really does bug me, though, is the way the Trigger "fire on" options are setup. I've been using TM for 3 years and I still have to test whether I need to use "url", "url path" and "page URL". I just choose one of those each time and test it until the tag fires. There isn't a whole lot of documentation (not that I could find anyway) that explains the differences between those. There needs to be some sort of glossary INCLUDED in the program while you're navigating through. Similar to how Analytics has hover-over tool tips that explain what certain metrics mean.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just keep things organized. It's easy to accidentally create multiple triggers that essentially do the same thing. You really only need one trigger for each particular function and you can use that trigger to fire multiple different tags. I also recommend implementing some naming conventions to keep everything easy to navigate through.

I do all of our agency's digital advertising and I use Tag Manager to place tracking codes for each and every campaign we run. Analytics does half the job by telling me what actually happened, but Tag Manager is essential for getting that information into Analytics. Our campaigns would be a lot more difficult to track without it.

Also - I don't know where else to put this - the "Features" part of this survey seems to be asking about Analytics, not Tag Manager. You're also using the Analytics icon, not Tag Manager's.....

Google Tag Manager review by Elaine S.
Elaine S.

"Greatly simplifies the life of non-IT folks"

What do you like best?

Once you get the hang of creating triggers for your tags, it becomes so easy to manage all your scripts in a single place. That makes it so much easier to see all the tags you're using on your websites, and it also makes it much easier to give limited access to vendors to add tags to the site - no direct access to your site required, and everything is captured in version control so it's easy to tell who made which changes.

What do you dislike?

There's definitely a learning curve of figuring out how exactly to trigger everything. Once you've set up a few basic tags though it becomes easier and is definitely worth the time you spent to learn it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up an extra GTM container and use it on a staging site. You can then use the "preview" to see exactly which tags trigger on which pages and events. It makes it much easier to validate this way on a staging site, and then deploy the changes to the live container & live website and already be certain that things are tracking and firing exactly as you intended.

Version control and allowing vendors to add tags without direct site access are the biggest benefits we've reaped. Again, it's also a lot easier to see all the scripts at a glance in a single tool, as opposed to even seeing all the scripts within our CMS, since they can be added in several different places and ways.

Google Tag Manager review by Ian A.
Ian A.

"Streamlines adding scripts to the site without bothering developers"

What do you like best?

The process of adding tags and triggers is very intuitive and allows for scripts to be added to the site within minutes. It also lessens the reliance on developers allowing marketing to have control over what scripts are running on the site and add/edit/remove them as necessary.

What do you dislike?

When there are many tags and triggers they can get a bit unwieldy to manage. There is an option to create folders, but it is not a perfect solution. Also, there is a mandatory screen before publishing each version to name your version, which might be useful for some people but I personally wish I could turn it off.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you manage campaigns that require scripts or triggers to be added for retarketing/lead tracking, this is a very straightforward solution.

Implementing remarketing and lead tracking codes on the website has become incredibly simple. There is no longer any back-and-forth between developers to ensure something is working properly. The preview mode allows me to troubleshoot and confirm the tags are working as expected right away. This has saved immeasurable amounts of time and allowed campaigns to get to market days if not weeks faster.

Google Tag Manager review by Tegan J.
Tegan J.

"Extremely Useful but Slightly tricky"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager is really useful. We are able to set up tags and triggers to send information back to Facebook and Twitter to collect on and store through their APIs. Google Tag Manager is really versatile and can pretty much be manipulated to to work for any situation you need (even obscure website events/actions)

What do you dislike?

So far I wasn't able to find much onboarding or documentation about how to use Google Tag Manager and I have had to learn most of my information through coworkers. If you don't know HTML it can be tricky to set up items like triggers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's way easier to learn how to use Google Tag Manager if you have a coworker/resource that you can talk to. Troubleshooting issues or questions with Google Tag Manager through documentation alone is a little lacking.

we are tagging sites and setting up triggers to fire for tracking conversions driven by social media data.

Google Tag Manager review by Lisa  M.
Lisa M.

"Excellent Tag Manager Tool"

What do you like best?

Once you place Google Tag Manager on your site, you are able to customize and make as many additions as you would like without changing the existing code on your website. As a marketer it enables us to implement and customize new tracking codes without having to bother our dev team. Additionally, GTM has a lot of integrations with advertising vendors making it very easy to implement new tags. There is also a great community of GTM users so it is always easy to get help from experts.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike about the tool. I have never found it limiting with what we are trying to accomplish.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend transitioning to Google Tag Manager if you do not use a tag management platform, and especially if you use other Google products such as Google Analytics and AdWords

It takes the web dev team out of the equation when we need to get code up on the site quickly. Additionally it allows us to uniquely customize web tracking.

Google Tag Manager review by Rahul C.
Rahul C.

"Implement Tag on Your website with minimal suport"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager is a very useful tool for everyone not just people with Google Analytics but it can be used by anybody. It saves your time for any kind of implementation on a website for say it is a pixel implementation, injecting a JavaScript or inserting an HTML and many more. You just need to place GTM container once on website pages and then you can inject whatever you want without the help of a developer. If you want to change some tracking or implementation then also you can change it via GTM easy at any time. People concerned about if GTM will increase their page load time but that's not true it is an async script tag and loads very fast it won't affect your website. GTM is supported by both platform mobile apps and websites.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to dislike about GTM it is getting better and better as days are passing. It's not a new bee though in a market of Tag Managers others have some more features than GTM for user management. GTM will also get more features and different tags in future but it has a plus point it is a free tool to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Google Tag Manager is easy to use and will save a lot of time. You can give different permissions to your teams for implementation

GTM help in solving many business problems for implementation:

- Saving the implementation time in a website.

- Faster pixel implementation.

- Anytime does modification on implementation or remove any tag.

- Easy to implement and do not affect the website.

- Google support and many other public forums.

Google Tag Manager review by Graham D.
Graham D.

"Self Taught and Certified in Google Analytics and Tag Manager"

What do you like best?

Robust capabilities and the ease of implementation. There are an infinite number of data tracking capabilities within GTM. I use the application every day and it provides great data to us and our clients for updating and enhancing websi

What do you dislike?

Uploading GTM recipes one at a time and then being redirected back to the dashboard page. It would be nice if you could select multiple GTM recipes at one time and upload them all. It would also be nice if there was better training and support from Google as they are the ones that built this tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Implement recipes to start tracking data faster! There are a lot of resources online including How to documentationa and youtube.com video tutorials. It is pretty easy to learn the basics but for the more advanced user it will take sometime to understand the complexities. You may also need the help of a developer to update and add code to your site in order to track very specific on page metrics. Other then very specific metrics GTM is very useful for tracking data about the interaction within your site and its separate pages. It also helps show how people are leaving your site.

Increasing SEO services to our client while increasing monthly revenue. It has given us a great understanding of how our clients and their customers are utilizing websites so we can then update and enhance the content to increase the overall functionality and performance of the website.

Google Tag Manager review by Dana B.
Dana B.

"Simplifies Tag Management"

What do you like best?

Easy usability and integration with other vendors. It's super easy to create new containers and add new tags. Many vendors are integrated and for the ones that are not it's as easy as copying the code into GTM.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike. Very user friendly and it's free. However, I've had some issues where the preview tool was not working, but that was fixed with clearing the cache.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We've compared a few different solutions and GTM made the most sense for us. It's free, integrated with many other vendors and easy to use.

Implementation of tags can now be managed by the marketing team itself without the use of any tech resources. Prior to GTM it always took a long time for new tags to be implemented. Now it can easily be managed by the marketing team and we don't depend on tech resources once the container has been placed. QA is very easy with the preview and debugger tool.

Google Tag Manager review by Chris L.
Chris L.

"Track and measure any interaction you can imagine on your website."

What do you like best?

I love the ability to write custom javascript and Jquery to track user interactions. It allows me to observe certain states, push items to session or local storage for retrieval later, and track complex interactions that take place over multiple screens.

You can also use Tag manager to implement other analytics tools, such as HotJar.

What do you dislike?

Google changes the UI pretty often, and not just simple cosmetics either. Every few months they make updates that change the workflow. There is also no feature to monitor interactions that haven't been defined yet, the way something like Heap does

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about what you need in an analytics platform. Tag manager is great for complex interactions, but it does require a bit of coding knowledge.

Ability to track complex interactions within single page applications and data binding frameworks. We've been able to measure the effects of changes to features we've made on the site that are more than just page visits or single button clicks.

Google Tag Manager review by Nathan C.
Nathan C.

"Solid Product Makes Allows for Less Deploys"

What do you like best?

Once the structure is figured out you you can quickly manage loading of all sorts of pixels. It allows me to not have to deal with the dev team for minor updates and pixel tests.

What do you dislike?

The layout is a bit cumbersome for anyone that does not have at least some tech background. Also when managing more than one one account the sorting and user administration is still a bit wonky.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a free product that meets the needs. It is also nice to be able to visually see all tags that you are firing. This allows for some logic turning off old tags and keeping your site fast.

I am able to manage the pixels across multiple domains for my company. This allow me to setup new Marketing software tests without having to use any outside people.

Google Tag Manager review by J.P. V.
J.P. V.

"Fantastic Beginner Tool, Lacking Advanced Integrations"

What do you like best?

Tag Manager is a fantastic entry into for beginners into the world of tag management. If everything has been done via hard-code and plugins before, GTM is a breath of fresh air.

What do you dislike?

There aren't a ton of native integrations for passing data, and the documentation is mainly crowdsourced rather than being provided directly by the creators.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have no tag management now, there's no reason not to use GTM to at least run your basic tracking and analytics. If you actually have a budget for it though, you'll want to compare to Tealium and Ensighten, especially if you're an enterprise organization.

GTM makes creating scalable, repeatable analytics setups much easier for franchises. It's also great for marketers who want to be more nimble and not be locked behind IT or engineering to get new systems or optimizations deployed.

Google Tag Manager review by Josh G.
Josh G.

"Great Product but Analysits Beware"

What do you like best?

Ease of implementation onto website of both the GTM and any snippets you manage with GTM.

What do you dislike?

Obfuscates metrics on some implementations such as Marketo

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're loading multiple scripts asynchronously, there could be an impact to data integrity in analytics/reporting applications. You're creating an additional potential point of failure by using GTM rather than implementing your scripts directly on page. Data could be lost due to network lag or disruptions from your webhost to the GTM servers or from your mobile network if you're on a mobile device. If the scripts don't fully load due to any of those issues, you won't have your data. If accurate metrics are your game, you'll want to load mission critical scripts for metics directly on your website rather than though GTM.

Ease of management of various code snippets for javascript based technologies.

Google Tag Manager review by Muhammath M.
Muhammath M.

"The Best and Accurate way to Manage Tag on your Website"

What do you like best?

first of all what I like with Google tag is, It help me to monetize my website not only with Adsense and Adwords but also with a third parties advertisement provider. It also makes my job easier when I came up with an Idea to make my site AMPSupport. The structure of the app is very much good, particularly I am very much impressed by the Workspaces.

What do you dislike?

The thing is it is very much difficult to learn how to use Google tag manager and its every feature. That's all

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you really want to be successful and make money with your online business you need to try Taag Manager after learning it perfectly.First, it seems difficult but soon after that, it is just like ice of cake for anyone.

It is very hard for me to earn from my website when Google Adsense deactivate my account. After that, it is very difficult for me to get an advertiser. After that, I came up with some native ads thing finally with the help of google tag manager manage to monetize my website.

Google Tag Manager review by Daniel V.
Daniel V.

"Such an Important tool for anything related to digital marketing"

What do you like best?

I absolutely love how easy and simple it is to use this tool. It works really well and have become accustomed to creating tags and triggers. Setting up GTM is maybe one of the most easiest products to use and I use this and Double Click Manager. It allows you to preview the tags created before pushing them live and you can QA each tag to ensure it is firing.

What do you dislike?

I cannot say I have found anything that I dislike yet because it is quite an easy and simple tool that every marketer should have in their arsenal of tools. The only thing I may dislike is that sometimes to really get the fine points of what your tagging, you may need to know some script but that is more or less on the user and not the platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are at all in anyway thinking about digital advertising or are already in the digital advertising/marketing world, then start using this tool already!

I currently use GTM to create tags and combine these tags with the spotlights created in Double Click Manager to use for reporting purposes. It allows us to see where users go and what they are clicking on the most.

Google Tag Manager review by Jamie M.
Jamie M.

"A Marketeers Dream For Launching Tools Without The Need For A Developer"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager (GTM) allows you to launch most tools on your website with the click of a few buttons and without the need for a developer. Whether you're looking to track users around your site or install a pop-up banner, GTM lets you quickly and easily add code to your website. What's more, all code is stored, managed and loaded via GTM, meaning that it doesn't slow your website down.

What do you dislike?

It does take some getting used to and many of the advanced features are beyond the typically understanding of a marketeer. Whilst there are lots of online resources, advanced features do take some learning. There is the need for some development and the more advanced you get the more your development team need to get involved to ensure that data is being parsed (so that GTM can detect it and parse it onto the tools that you're using) and that conversions are being tracked - unless you can track a conversion with a unique URL, you'll need to install custom tracking event codes into the back-end of your website and ensure that buttons are correctly named with classes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a no brainer, just prepare yourself for the implementation and ensuring that your website is setup so that you can track events with custom class names and conversions.

GTM enables marketeers to be dynamic and test new tools and techniques. Easy implementation means that you can get up-and-running very quickly and trial new experiences. The more advanced features of GTM allow you to get granular with tracking and customisation of your website without the need for advanced setups from development.

Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Power Tool for Agencies"

What do you like best?

Non-developers can add tags immediately. There's a tag for every action you can imagine on a webpage. Incredible tutorials exist to support power-user inquiries and custom tagging. Great integration with Webmaster Tools and Analytics.

What do you dislike?

A lot of trial and error is required for more complex tagging like custom events, though that's probably the case for any complex analytics software. Occasionally third-party tags are finicky to implement. There aren't good administration tools for agencies that allow default access based on agency administrator status - people still need to be added to every new Tag Manager one by one.

Core business problem: Effectively and efficiently tracking success in a way that is repeatable and consistent.

Ability to move very quickly on ad campaigns; ability to make adaptations to tracking on the fly; ability to empower our Media team to install our own tracking rather than constantly have to rely on our development team.

Google Tag Manager review by Richard H.
Richard H.

"A great way to track custom events without bothering site developers"

What do you like best?

It's a life saver being able to quickly set up new tracking tags including GA and Pixel on a site without requiring access to the CMS of a clients site.

What do you dislike?

There is a weird bug where you can get stuck in an infinite loop through the menus, it's nothing major and it's somewhat rare but it requires a page refresh when it happens, losing some work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Advise the developers of the sites you want to implement Tag Manager on that it will allow you to do your work without having to keep pestering them to change the Analytics code

It allows us to set up custom events we can use in Analytics for goal tracking so we can better assess ROI

Google Tag Manager review by Dylan R.
Dylan R.

"Keeps the code clean"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager is great because it keeps all of the tags for my site in one clean interface. It makes it easy to change or remove code snippets and keeps the code on my site to a minimum.

What do you dislike?

There is a large learning curve in figuring out how it all works. There are help tips for most things, but I have found they are not as clear as they could be.

I manage over 70 websites. Google tag manager allows me to manage all of those from one dashboard. It saves me time by making it so I do not have to dig through the code of each site.

Google Tag Manager review by Ryan C.
Ryan C.

"Google Tag Manager - One Tag To Rule Them All"

What do you like best?

It's a powerful tag management tool and software provided by Google. And it's Free! Just love this tool and it's something that I always deploy and use in almost all websites and campaigns I handle. It's powerful variable, tagging, triggers and datalayer capabilities are what makes this tool super powerful in handling data, tracking, and integration needs.

What do you dislike?

There's a steep learning curve for the dataLayer and custom integrations. You also need to know Javascript and HTML coding + CSS if you want to take advantage of the features that will make Google Tag Manager a powerful tracking tool. Fortunately, taking the time to research will mostly address the issues you need to get started with Google Tag Manager easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a consultant that can implement GTM properly.

I would want to be able to track events, clicks, downloads, scroll time, enhanced ecommerce and dynamic remarketing within my website. And Google Tag Manager helped a lot in getting these things implemented on the website easily. I've realized and understood my website visitors more which helped in getting more conversions.

Google Tag Manager review by James S.
James S.

"Tagging for Everyone"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager is fairly straightforward on building tags, variables and triggers. The interface is clean, all the tools are there ready-to-use, and the tags once published works immediately.

What do you dislike?

The how-to's from Google gives you the basics, but on tagging various kinds of elements, it doesn't go deep enough in that regard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd encourage you to look at other resources outside of Google to learn to use Google Tag Manager properly. One of these that I'd recommend is MeasureSchool. Plenty of free resources from that site, and their YouTube channel has been invaluable. I'd also encourage you to check the Google Tag Manager Product Forums. which are public forums by Google. You can post questions, tips and the like, and it can provide additional resources.

This solves the issue for me of having to reach out to IT or a developer to tag elements on a page. Now, I can do this myself, and keep the codes (tracking tags in code are still required initially) to a minimum. I can also test and tinker around with what tags work best without having to place inside the code.

Google Tag Manager review by Arturo R.
Arturo R.

"Integrate as many tags you want without slowing down your website's load speed"

What do you like best?

The interface is very intuitive. It makes it look easier than it really is, which is very useful once you start getting an idea of how to use it.

What do you dislike?

It's a really difficult tool to master. Baby steps would be the best way to describe the learning curve. Look for tips and recipes from Simo Ahava and WordStream.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read and do not get discouraged. This is a great tool. Do not even consider adding tags to your website without using Tag Manager, this tool helps you avoid great risks.

You will never have to touch the HTML of your website, which reduces risks greatly. You can also add as many tags as you need without slowing down your website (which deteriorates UX).

Google Tag Manager review by Mike B.
Mike B.

"Google Tag Manager Improves page load speed"

What do you like best?

Simple to set up and easy to use for incorporating third-party tools into tag management

What do you dislike?

No option to use tags that insert content to any page, such as some social sharing or advertising tags. Only good for tracking pixels.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be certain that your needs are met by the free option due to set-up time required and lack of expected gains if additional non-supported tags are used by your site.

Be sure you won't require quick turnaround on support questions and can spend time using support forums to resolve any issues - standard complaints for lack of Google customer support options.

Page load speed is the primary goal - which can be improved by using the asynchronous options provided by tag management tools. This allows pages to load without blocking page render. User perception is dramatically improved, especially on mobile devices, which improves visitor retention and increases page views per visit.

Google Tag Manager review by Farrah F.
Farrah F.

"Great, easy to use tag management solution"

What do you like best?

I like how quickly we can get tags up and running on our website without having to wait for complicated development cycles. The fact you can launch a tag and take it down very easily makes the risk of trying out new tags and vendors much easier than before. Integration with doubleclick makes things very easy on the advertising side.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that bad about it. I think you have to have the expectation that if you have a complicated website, any additional tags could have potential to break the website so you might still have to go through a typical development cycle but the ability to roll back changes really helps mitigate those risks that would have been prohibitive to add anything new on the website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it with the right expectations of the product

We've been able to test new ideas and be open to trying new things because tag manager allows us to easily do those things without much issues. It's great for when you do a lot of advertising because there are so many advertising tags out there for tracking. Having tag manager makes it super easy to launch new ones.

Google Tag Manager review by Sarah C.
Sarah C.

"Google Tag Manager is a great resource for amplified tracking"

What do you like best?

I liked Google Tag Manager best for creating custom tracking. My company used it in a variety of different ways. We used it a lot of third party sites to establish specific tracking, especially for SEO and PPC needs. Once it was properly installed onto a site it gave us a lot insights on how the website was performing. We funneled the data into our own platform was it was less standard than the typically Google Tag Manager experience.

What do you dislike?

At least in the way I used it it was very limiting. On my end once it was added to a site I never used it again. It also doesn't give you any alerts if tracking is lost. For example, if a domain change occurs you won't noticed until you go and check your tracking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendations for someone considering using Google Tag Manager is to thoroughly read the implementation process. Google is good at supplying you with the how to's but you need to be sure you accurate install and use it.

My company used Google Tag Manager for our third party sites to establish specific tracking for specific campaigns.

Google Tag Manager review by Roman Y.
Roman Y.

"Must have tool to integrate almost every script on your website"

What do you like best?

- You can integrate almost any custom Java script on your website without additional development,

just insert Google Tag Mager code once

- Track goals on your website in Google Analytics justi with several clicks in Google Tag Manager with the tracking of mouse clicks, following links and etc.

- It's the most simple way to integrate Google Analytics to your website, track events and send them to GA

- Integrate static and dynamic Adwords Remarketing in Tag Manager without help of the web developer

- Integrate Facebook Pixel code and custom events to track user interaction with the website and track efficiency of your campaigns in Facebook

- Create and send custom events to Google Analytics, so you can track clicks on buttons, sending forms, customer watching videos, etc.

What do you dislike?

- It's not easy to use for the first time and also requires some technical knowledge about Java scripts if you need to track custom events

- It's not so easy to debug tags on complex websites

Recommendations to others considering the product

Google Tag Manager simplifies adding scripts to your website. It's the most simple and convinient way to integrate services like Google Analytics, Adwords remarketing, Facebook Pixel, Hotjar tracking without help of web developer

- Integrate any kind of scripts and custom HTML code without additional web development to your website, you need just to insert Google Tag Manager code once

- Easy to integrate Google Analytics, Adwords Remarketing tags, Hotjar and other pre-defined services

- Track events like mouse clicks, links clicks, scroll depth and other user activities

Google Tag Manager review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Solid Tag Management Product"

What do you like best?

The UI is very intuitive and easy to use. The way that the tags are categorized by Account makes it easy to manage a large number of tags at once. There are also a vast number of available tag formats to work with.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it takes a while for new tag formats to be included in Google Tag Manager. Although this is mainly for new and seldom used tags, it can be frustrating to wait for them to roll out new formats. If you only plan on utilizing widely-adopted tags you don't need to worry about this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an intuitive tag management product that is able to work with the majority of tag formats in the marketplace today, Google Tag Manager is a great option. If you're constantly testing the new tag formats when they are released into the marketplace and want to be one of the first people to test them, there may be other products that will be better at working with you and your team to develop what you need. Google is such a large company that one company is not able to make much of an impact on the overall road map of their products.

I primarily use Google Tag Manager to bucket different conversion triggers together to that it's easy for the site admin to implement. Combining different triggers into one container tag decrease the changes of an error being made when the site admin has to implement the tag.

Google Tag Manager review by Andre P.
Andre P.

"Google Tag Manager for your business"

What do you like best?

I can recommend the Google Tag Manager because its a great Tool to use different trackingcodes..

What do you dislike?

The implementation is not so easy. You need some technical skills.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can recomment the Google Tag Manager because it is an easy way to implement different trackingpixel or trackingcode with this tool. But you need a person how have technical skills because the setup could be a little bit tricky.

We use the Google Tag Manager because we need an easy way to implement different trackingpixel or codes. Using the Google Tag Manager it could be an easy way to solve this problem. And a really great thing is that you do not have to pay for the Google Tag Manager. It is a free cost tool. And if you need help or support - you can use the google community or you can read the "google how to" sites. But if you still have problems with the implementation you will not have a chance to call directly to google. Yes sure, you can call the Google support team, but i am really sure that the supporter do not know the advance tricks for the implementation.

If you dont want to use the Google Tag Manager you can use some other tools. But - other tools are not for free. You have to pay (sometimes a lot of) money for a licence or the setup. So, if you are thinking about the Tag Manager, try it.

Google Tag Manager review by Enrique C.
Enrique C.

"Excellent tool for Tag Management"

What do you like best?

It is a tool that greatly simplifies the management of tags or snippets of code (scripts) to be able to track and measure any milestone that occurs on our website.

Google launched this tool at the end of 2012 and has made it available to users since then in a totally free way to try to make the work much easier and more agile when it comes to implementing the technical code that any website needs, with the objective of analyzing and doing an adequate follow-up of the visits to the website.

I love being able to enter javascript without having to touch the code of the pages.

I love it is free.

What do you dislike?

It is a difficult tool to manage. The learning curve is high. I recommend taking a course in advance to get more out of it, and consult certain forums and blogs of subject specialists.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you take a course to learn about how to manage and work with this tool

Tag management without installing code on the web or reducing the need of a IT team.

Google Tag Manager review by Vincent M.
Vincent M.

"Necessary for Any Digital Marketing Team"

What do you like best?

Ease of implementation and freedom it gives you to make changes on the site that would've otherwise need to go through a dev team, which can be very time consuming. Also allows for much more customization to data tracking and analytics reports.

What do you dislike?

Some of the triggers, like "form submit" do not always work and you're still at the mercy of the sites current architecture. It can sometimes be clunky and while there are definitely limitations, the good far outweighs the bad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are no real downsides. The only instance where this would not be effective for managing tags is if a script such as Optimizely needs to be implemented directly on the page.

Significant time/money saved by being able to easily create tags without having to use dev resources. This helps move projects along more efficiently. Also, the level of detailed data we're able to extract from the site presents very interesting/useful analysis opportunities.

Google Tag Manager review by Liam M.
Liam M.

"Perfect solution for large scale businesses"

What do you like best?

The ability to do everything from add tags to inject javascript means it can cater for all your marketing needs. It's versioning is ideal for a production environment. The most common tasks are easy to automate and it's rule based triggers cover everything you can imagine.

What do you dislike?

It can mess with event triggers if you're not careful about the way you code. Especially when assigning links to elements it might try to cover automatically with some features (like element/click tracking). Test frequently, often and regularly!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at translating any analytics plugins you have - there's a way to do everything in tag manager. It's automatically asynchronous which relieves a lot of worries. It doesn't appear too heavy on CPU on the client end either.

Tracking across a site that has hosted clients with bespoke needs and a brochure that requires a different approach and separation from other content it's mixed in with. Specific targeting rules within Tag Manager mean you can cater for all the above - as well as rolling out tags for the entire site! It also means you don't have to go through development to upload new code. Just have it reviewed and tested in tag manager.

Google Tag Manager review by Jack C.
Jack C.

"Use Google Tag Manager to Take Control of Your Website Tracking"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager is an extremely handy tool for wrestling control back from developers when it comes to setting up various tracking for your website. By having all the code in one container you eliminate the need for adding tracking code to individual pages.

What do you dislike?

If a developer first has control of the site, they will need to implement the code on the website which can take time and can be a pain. Once this is out of the way, there aren't too many things to dislike with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the ease of use and the manual updates you can make to your websites tracking yourself. The time saved or the cost saved in developer fees will be worth it.

Streamlined website tracking by utilising the container set up and then adding further website tracking with the container so it can track all pages. Very simple and time-saving set up.

Google Tag Manager review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"GTM Great when Collaborating"

What do you like best?

I love that I have the ability to make simple tag changes, place tracking pixels, without having to involve my client's IT or Web Dev.

What do you dislike?

There are some more in-depth steps that could require someone with deeper coding knowledge, such as event and ID tagging to ensure tracking is accurate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great solution for companies who manage their own web site and have multiple codes and pixels, as well as a solution for an agency or consultant who needs to manage multiple sites and codes. A beginner can utilize this service, as well as someone with in depth knowledge of coding. A person will need to be familiar with tracking, to ensure they are utilizing the right tracking and codes for their business. It is good to have a coder or web-dev on hand, should issues or questions come up, as there are not always quick and easy ways to find answers.

Tagging for remarketing, analytics tracking... we can manage these efficiently and effectively.

Google Tag Manager review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Set up and listen for events without a developer"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager has made it possible for us to maintain flexibility within our website without full-time access to a developer. We use GTM to listen for specific events and install tags from third-party solutions. It's helpful that the product integrates with Google Analytics to make it easier to set up goals.

What do you dislike?

You will need to have some rudimentary understanding of code and website maintenance. Additionally, the preview feature doesn't always work when I pull my site up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider investing time into the training program offered by Google. The concept of a tag manager is a bit foreign and the training helps break down the areas in which GTM can be helpful.

We have solved the need to make adjustments to our website on a regular basis without the expense of a full-time developer. Additionally, we are now able to test a greater amount of potential services due to the quick nature of installing a third-party tag on our website.

Google Tag Manager review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Great tool for saving time"

What do you like best?

Love the fact that GTM integrates popular Ad platforms like AdWords and Adroll. This helps us save time when installing tags for tracking and conversion tracking.

What do you dislike?

The tool can be a little bit clunky and perhaps difficult for a layperson to work with. Some integrations are pretty unclear without additional research.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give this a try if you currently use mutable Google platforms such as Analytics and AdWords. Integration on site is as easy as installing a simple Analytics code, but all updates and integrations thereafter are done though GTM. This is a big time saver when it comes installing tags used by other tools (AdWords, AdRoll, Facebook, etc).

Efficiency is the primary benefit - not having to place a bunch of tags on a site saves time, and having everything in one place is convenient for changes and updates. Utilizing this tool makes it far easier for teams to integrate their necessary tags without needing to FTP into the site to add them manually.

Google Tag Manager review by Mark T.
Mark T.

"Timer-saver!"

What do you like best?

I remember a day when I had to content our developer every time I wanted to add a new pixel or customize a tracking code our domains. I am so grateful all those days are in the past! With GTM you all you need is the dev team to put one snippet of code on all our domains and then you have the ease of customizing other tags you want through out your site. Just released a new product and want to have FB Audience tag the purchases, done, all the pixel to the success page. Want to have Google Analytics track a user activity goal, done, just tell GTM where teh goal is happening and it can even customize the values for you. Need KM to track a new event based, done, just add your KM snippet to GTM and tell it the metrics you need! Such a huge asset and time saver to me and my data/tracking needs.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I really like Tag Manager, it is very simple UI and since it's FREE it's a huge plus!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have better customization of your tags on your domain and don't have unlimited access to your dev team, then you need to use this product. It is free!!

Limited time and access from Dev Team meant I was not able to to customize and manage all the pixels and tags from all the different goals, events, and triggers I needed on an on-going basis.

Google Tag Manager review by Administrator

"All online marketers should use it"

What do you like best?

Some technicall skills are required (but easy to learn). Once you have them you can do plenty of things where previously you needed IT department mandatory. Install many script codes with an HTML tag, parse information to GA with some javascript knowledge,... From an online marketing perpspective it is one of the most powerfull tools I have never used.

What do you dislike?

The lack of examples of impelementation from Google. Hopefully there are manu bloggers that post about tons of examples.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is important have a basic knowledge of javascript in order to use the power of the tool. However without it other interesting implementations can be done.

We are extremly quickly in the implementation of any script for marketing tools and in the acquisition of data that we process in Google Analytics. Before we depended on IT guys and any implementation took us weeks (we work with sprints). Now we are very quick

Google Tag Manager review by Simon K.
Simon K.

"Extremely versatile and user friendly tag management system at a price you can't beat"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager gives us unlimited flexibility for analytics and including basically any JavaScript we need to deploy on the site. The interface is easy to understand, as soon as you understand the basic architecture of triggers, tags and variables. By just using the form settings in GTM the possibilities are already basically unlimited, but being able to dynamically create variables makes it truly unlimited in terms of possibilities. Testing is easy with the debugger or the Chrome extension, and it's great that it has easy to comprehend version controle baked right in, with a testing environment as well. Google Tag Manager is the most user friendly tag management system, while not providing any less functionality than competitors.

What do you dislike?

The recently introduced new UI is an improvement on many fronts. The new folders however (to organize tags, triggers and variables) aren't that useful yet though. Also, the new sliding panels can make it hard to understand what you're editing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Structure your tags and variables from the beginning and think about a good architecture. Make sure to test each new tag thoroughly before deploying. Also use static variables as much as possible, don't replicate any code or variables in any tags.

Deploying tags and JavaScript on the fly, without help from developers or needing to deploy a new version of the website. Having al analytics/marketing codes in one place, not obfuscating the sourcecode of the site. Being able to instantly add a measurement and alter it.

Google Tag Manager review by Leah J.
Leah J.

"Go-To Option for Tracking User Engagements"

What do you like best?

Deploying tags / tracking on different sites is fairly straightforward. Comprehensive documentation provided by Google and third-party users makes trouble-shooting and identifying issues straightforward. Integrates readily with Google Analytics, and provides full-funnel tracking. Overall, very happy with GTM for creating regular and unique event tracking for reporting purposes.

What do you dislike?

Interface can be a little slow; definitely a learning curve involved but familiarity with Google Analytics will make it easier deploy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely the industry standard for FOSS tagging and implementation. Integrates nicely with Google Analytics for full-funnel tracking and attribution. Extensive documentation makes creating and deploying tags a cinch, and Google 'university' / online training provides essential information / insight on getting GTM up and running.

Customer engagement and tracking throughout the funnel, including signups/clicks/link handoffs. Great for getting a picture of attribution and drop-off points through the sales/conversion funnel.

Google Tag Manager review by Michelle L.
Michelle L.

"Stop Bother Developers, Make The Updates Yourself...EASILY!"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can easily make web updates with a delay to wait on developers. I also am a HUGE fan of their workspaces- it is a great way to check tagging.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of functionalities changes. However, I would say it is ultimately heading in the right direction. A lot of the changes have made it more marketing friendly and require less code. But, it does make it difficult to transition old profiles.

It has allowed us to quickly and easily implement tags on the site without waiting on a developer. It also increase website speed by decreasing the amount of codes loading on a webpage.

Google Tag Manager review by User

"Few reasons to implement another solution"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of use with GTM is extraordinary. For most standard needs, even early users will have little to no issues setting up new tags. An added benefit is the ease of Google Analytics deployment and customization via GTM.

What do you dislike?

I would like to a solution around deploying A/B testing software through GTM

Recommendations to others considering the product

For simpler situations, It's a great resource for marketing teams to deploy tracking without technical resources. In more complex situations, it still serves as a great resource but knowing where to draw the line between DIY and getting dev involved is a little fuzzy.

GTM allows our marketing and analytics team to deploy tags with almost no requests from our dev team. This saves time, resources, and money, but beyond that reduces the workflow required to deploy new tracking code.

Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Google Tag Manager Makes Life Far easier for today's marketer"

What do you like best?

I love the ability to ask a client to add a tag one time, and functionally have control from that point forward. Makes implementation and updates far easier than we'd typically ever see.

What do you dislike?

Not nearly as intuitive as I'd like it to be and still leaves opportunities for errors/issues, but with some focus and dedication, this can be corrected.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework and pay attention to the information that is out there on the product. It will really help you learn nuances and give you an opportunity to take full advantage of the platform.

The ability to manage the necessary tags and systems that we need to put in place in a far simplified fashion is incredibly helpful in allowing us more speed and agility when dealing with client needs.

Google Tag Manager review by Curtis M.
Curtis M.

"Simple and effective"

What do you like best?

Google Tag Manager (GTM) makes it simple and fast for anyone on our small team to add new tools to our website, no coding required.

What do you dislike?

I find the user interface to be confusing and the on-boarding is nowhere to be found. The first few integrations I did were not working because I did not realize I had to "Publish" them

Recommendations to others considering the product

Add on-boarding to the app so users will know how to publish and integrate easier.

Simplicity in deploying new tools to our production website. This allows my team to move faster and help customers more effectively.

Google Tag Manager review by Natalie C. W.
Natalie C. W.

"Great Idea, Poor Support"

What do you like best?

Like most Google products, I love the wealth of data that lies underneath.

What do you dislike?

Also like most Google products, the support and documentation is sorely lacking. I end up in help page loops where one page points to another and back again, and it's nearly impossible to find the support I need. I've found way more information and support about Google Tag Manager on third party websites.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are some great blogs out there on how to implement everything you'll need to do in Google Tag Manager, but don't rely on Google to help.

Tracking actions on the web.

Agency in Marketing and Advertising

"Necessary tool for any website with marketing infrastructure"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility to deploy and alter snippets of code without having to modify/or have access to the source code of a website.

Also helpful is the ability to manage as many domains as you want under a single account, as well as the version control system that's built into Google Tag Manager.

What do you dislike?

Though you don't have to be a software engineer to deploy a code snippet through Google Tag Manager, you are going to need training to be able to perform even the simplest action inside the platform.

Moreover, in order to leverage the more advanced capabilities of Google Tag Manager, you definitely need experience in coding.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are managing marketing snippets on a website, implementing them through Google Tag Manager is a must.

The business problem Google Tag Manager is solving for us is that it gives us the ability to deploy marketing tools fast, without having to involve IT in the process.

Google Tag Manager review by Chris P.
Chris P.

"Manage Your Tags In A Google Owned Platform"

What do you like best?

It's incredibly intuitive and seamless for setting up new tags. URL or Event-based is simple to set up. The workspace preview mode is a huge bonus that allows confidence before releasing new code to your site.

What do you dislike?

Can't think of anything that I dislike about Google Tag Manager!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free to login an and give a go. If you use google analytics or event based actions on your site it gets around a lot of headaches. It also has built-in setups for Facebook, AdWords, GA, and others.

Managing and mapping various analytics and marketing pixels with ease.

Google Tag Manager review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Google Tag Manager Saves Time For Me & Engineering Department"

What do you like best?

The big positive about GTM is being able to create tags without having to bother engineering. This saves everybody time and allows marketers to start managing and analyzing tags quickly. Overall, it is very easy and intuitive to use.

What do you dislike?

Not really much to dislike about this product. Sometimes when a tag doesn't fire during the testing phase, it can be a little frustrating. But, that's not the products fault and can usually be remedied by a searching for a solution on Google.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended. It's free and works well with Google Analytics.

GTM allows us to see activity on our web site at finer level than general Analytics does. This helps make business decisions about what is working on the web site and isn't.

Learning about Google Tag Manager?

* We monitor all Google Tag Manager reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.