G2 Crowd Acquires Siftery to Create a New Way to Buy and Manage Software Spend ­čÜÇ

Gorkana

3.9

Gorkana provides media intelligence and insight to help you stay connected and manage your brands reputation, delivering campaigns, analyze impact and managing buisness value.

Work for Gorkana?

Learning about Gorkana?

Gorkana Reviews

Showing 89 Gorkana reviews

"Does the job, mostly"

What do you like best?

Gorkana is a nearly comprehensive database of publication and reporter information. For the most part, Gorkana provides pretty accurate reporter contact information for journalists from all parts of the globe and publications from all sizes. You can find info on there for everyone from a small, self-run blog to the Wall Street Journal. The reporter pages, when accurate and complete, are extremely useful with contact details, notes on the topics they cover, as well as provides links to their social media channels.

What do you dislike?

Gorkana is not always the best at staying up to date on movements in the media. It'll take a few weeks for them to update the database if a reporter has moved to a different publication or beat. In general, I find myself having to double check the reporters listed beat as it's been right probably about 75% of the time in my experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I haven't used other platforms to compare the features, but many similar products offer demos which I would recommend taking advantage of.

As a PR professional, my main priority is developing and maintaining relationships with journalists and influencers. Gorkana helps me identify key journalists and provides the information I need to reach out.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Gorkana
Gorkana review by User in Financial Services

"Great media monitoring porgram"

What do you like best?

really enjoy the ability to create media monitoring lists for different topics, allows us to filter through what we need or don't need for a particular issue or topic. Makes it easy to identify and connect with journalists in our targeted spheres.

What do you dislike?

wish the interface was a little more sophisticated; it looks like like the 90's.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get your whole team involved in the implementation stage. The process is much smoother if you have a strategic approach to the organization's media priority topics and goals. Really research those identified in your media lists once you customize them to narrow your general topic into a niche field. Some reporters are more apt to pick up stories only in a small segment of a larger topic, and targeting them generally instead of with something that will really interest them, you'll lose the chance to build that relationship. Double check journalist affiliations on gorkana with the publications website; sometimes changes in employment aren't updated right away.

Attempting to demonstrate the value of PR and media outreach efforts beyond just press hits. Allows us to define statistics on topics and generate new ideas for how to stay on trend and get our message out there.

What PR Analytics solution do you use?

Gorkana review by Savannah J.
Savannah J.

"Great for media outreach"

What do you like best?

I love Gorkana and how up to date, accurate and useful the media contact information is. I use Gorkana regularly when building media lists and sourcing media contacts.

What do you dislike?

The Gorkana rapid response service could be faster. I also think that the search function could use improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the Rapid Response service if a reporter contact information is not listed.

I use Gorkana for media relations, outreach and engagement. It is very useful when sourcing reporters' contact information.

Gorkana review by Flavius R.
Flavius R.

"My point of view about Gorkana"

What do you like best?

I like the user interface and the search functions capacities which have been helpful to me. I like the news that they send around through email, and the data they give about each contact. Is easy to use and very helpful.

What do you dislike?

I find that they don't have a solid database with updated contacts, I found a lot of existing contacts which are outdated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest you Gorkana. It's something else, a different database..

We are utilizing the administration function as our primary media. The administrations enables numerous clients from our organization to sign on and the clients are each allocated with their own username. With Gorkana we can save money and time.

Gorkana review by Mike S.
Mike S.

"Very Good product, could always be better"

What do you like best?

I mostly use Gorkana for list building and finding specific contact information at media outlets. I find the database to be much more updated than that of Cision or similar products. Also, the rapid response team is great in assisting you when a contact is incorrect or not found.

What do you dislike?

As with any database, it could always be more closely monitored for people leaving different news outlets and joining others.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a solid product with a lot to offer. Would recommend as your main list building software.

Gorkana is great to build a list based on specific criteria on journalists or types of news outlet. Laos, to find someones email or phone number quick, the search function is great!

"Great journalist database"

What do you like best?

I like that I am able to search for journalist and usually am able to add them to a press list fairly quickly. I do like that I can contact anyone to help me add a journalist or a publication to the database easily. It's an easy to use database and it typically has a lot of journalists names and publications in there.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that you cannot search for a journalist by state or city. It makes it very difficult for planning purposes if you are planning a media tour in a different city or need to find journalists in a specific city for a city-focused initiative. The customer service people at Gorkana are also pretty rude. I have emailed them in the past, and while they get back to me quickly, they don't read my email or give me an answer back that is pretty obvious and not the answer I am looking for. The database is also lacking. I feel like the people that work at Gorkana are not proactively looking to update the journalists profiles or find new journalists or publications. This is frustrating and when I have to email them 5 times about new journalists, it's like I am doing their job for their. Oh yeah and I am paying them to do this. It's very annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great product, and easy to use, but I wouldn't rely on it solely to create an accurate media list. It needs work in the sense of finding new journalists and publications and realizing that the space is changing and they need to adapt.

I am able to search for journalists in a large pool that cover the beat or sector I am looking for. The benefits is that it is quick, however, it's not always accurate. I have to cross reference the database with Google/LinkedIn profiles often because Gorkana is wrong a lot of the time.

Gorkana review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Great media monitoring platform"

What do you like best?

This is THE BEST media monitoring system. The contacts in the media data base were always up to date. It was easy to find new contacts at new publications and in new industries and geographies. Working at a PR agency, it was essential that I could trust my media monitoring system for accuracy on reporters and publications. It was also great for distributing press releases. I have used Cision, MeltWater, and a few others, but Gorkana is by far the best. My current company doesn't use it unfortunately, and I really miss it.

What do you dislike?

Gorkana was a little complicated to learn how to use. It is a very complex system, but once you learn how to use it, it's fantastic! It is also one of the pricier platforms, but it is 100% worth it in my opinion. It saved me so much time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DO it! If you need to stay up-to-date on media publications and reporters, you need Gorkana. Also great for press release distribution, tracking email communications and monitoring success through analytics.

I was able to quickly and easily search for new media contacts and publications for pitching my clients. I was able to categorize media contacts any way I wanted, and also manage all email communications with them within the platform. It saved our company A LOT of time and money. The analytics capability was also super important in showcasing our PR efforts and our value to our diverse customer base.

Gorkana review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Gorkana was an easy to use tool that helped in the PR industry"

What do you like best?

I liked how it was very easy to look up information about sources from any outlet imaginable. I was able to type in a name and see where they work and all of their contact information.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how some people chose to not give their contact info. there is no point of the tool if I am unable to see how to contact those individuals.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend to use this source whenever it is necessary to cold call or email newspapers. This database allows you to find the perfect contact for whatever your need is. I made huge spreadsheets of people who work at certain papers etc. and would copy all of their email addressed when sending out press reports. the tool makes research incredibly easy and enjoyable.

In order to properly send out press releases and information to relevant newspapers, magazines and news outlets, it is important to search which individuals would be interested in receiving this information using Gorkana.

Gorkana review by Luke G.
Luke G.

"A helpful tool"

What do you like best?

It can help PR pros connect with media and also learn what specifically the editors may be looking for in future story considerations.

What do you dislike?

Delays in dashboard information updates that can hold up reporting or measurement needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The dashboard and analytics are actually a tool that can be put to smart use.

It helps to put PR pros in touch with members of the media as well as deliver a unique dashboard to help measure PR outcome. The ability for measurement is inexact but there are solutions here that can be incorporated into reporting.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"My love/hate relationship with Gorkana"

What do you like best?

I think the user interface and "quick search" functions have been useful to me. I appreciate the media updates that they send around via email, as well as the information they provide about each contact. They tend to provide much more in depth information about what journalists cover compared to their competitors.

What do you dislike?

I find that they don't tend to have a lot of contacts listed per outlet, and often the contacts are quite out of date. I find the search functions a bit cumbersome and not often specific enough. Their search bar can also be tricky - it won't often identify key outlets unless typed in a very specific way. I think they need to improve the search functionality, specifically as it relates to how searches are done geographically. Gorkana also rarely features audience data/reach of outlets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are trying to save money and have multiple users that need log in at one time, I recommend Gorkana. Otherwise, other databases are much more robust.

We are using the service as our main media and influencer database. The services allows multiple users from our company to log on at the same time, unlike some of the competitors. Users are also each assigned their own username.

Gorkana review by Amanda R.
Amanda R.

"One of the best programs you can have!"

What do you like best?

This program has the most updated contact information and even go so far as to note when a person has left the industry of expertise. Great tool for any company!

What do you dislike?

I think it would be much more beneficial if while searching, you could see how many outlets or contacts you've selected, as it can be a little confusing when you finish your search and don't know if the selected contacts will be present in your exported file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it should additionally be noted aside from when someone leaves an industry, to also note whether or not they wish to continue contact. If they have left to another outlet, it should then list relevant options as to whom should be contacted from said outlet.

When it comes to building the lists required for clients or tracking down the right reporters to pitch a client's story to, this program is by far the best program there is. It allows research on any given organization and whom to speak with to be as simple as possible. I love this tool!

Gorkana review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"Gorkana helps me keep an eye who's who in media world."

What do you like best?

Gorkana is an up-to-date resource to follow who's changing jobs or beats. It offers a look a who to pitch and where jobs may be open. It's great to be able to get direct email or social media contacts for possible sources or writing outlets.

What do you dislike?

The content is fine. Could you bump up the size of type to make it easier to read?

Gorkana is an all-in-one resource that saves time and the need to follow multiple sources.

Gorkana review by User in Motion Pictures and Film
User in Motion Pictures and Film

"Gorkana is confusing"

What do you like best?

I like Gorkana because it is somewhat user friendly and easy to navigate. I have heard it is better than Cision but I don't have experience with Cision so I can't say.

What do you dislike?

It's extremely outdated and missing a lot of information. I do not feel like it is reliable when it comes to building lists. I don't like finding out of date email addresses or people who have switched outlets yet remain on their old list. I find it slow and it is also frustrating that it only holds a certain amount of seats.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I use it as a start to build a list but always go back and double check because it is not always reliable. The mapping feature is also not very helpful.

Streamlines research. Makes list building a lot faster.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Database for media contacts/intel"

What do you like best?

Gorkana has a large database of media/blogger/broadcast topics and it's easy to get contact details and baseline information in seconds. The Gorkana Rapid Response team is one of the best services alongside the product - if they don't have someone in the database, you just ask them and the team will do their best to gather contact info. There's also more sophisticated/advanced searches you can do to compile target lists by geo, topic, outlet type, beat, etc.

What do you dislike?

Even with Gorkana's data, I still find it's necessary to do manual research to confirm details and vet targets. Also, as with any service of this kind, it's not always 100% up-to-date as media tend to jump beats and/or publications frequently.

Getting contact info/research media targets quickly.

Gorkana review by James M.
James M.

"Find out what your client base thinks of you with Gorkana"

What do you like best?

The information that is given here is so easy to interpret and work with.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can have a lack of fine-grained reporting

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it

Before Gorkana, we were just selling a few items here and there, now we are rolling in cash.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"A helpful and user-friendly database I use for media list building."

What do you like best?

It's easy to use overall and pretty intuitive. Searching and building lists is simple overall.

What do you dislike?

I often find that contacts I'm looking for are not in the database, or the information is out of date. Also, when I search for a common name of a reporter or for some outlets, the first results that come up are UK contacts if there are reporters or outlets with the same names in the UK.

It seems that my colleagues who build media lists using Gorkana more often than I do are often providing the updated and accurate contact information to the Gorkana team, or having to make requests for reporters/outlets to be added. While the Rapid Response team is typically very responsive and tries to be helpful, these kinds of delays in getting the information we need can negatively impact our client service and overall results at times. Media relations outreach often requires a very quick turnaround so it's important for us to have the needed contact information handy when outreach needs to be done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's better than some of the others out there, but you may be disappointed if you enjoy Cision.

We are building media lists and seeking contact info for media outlets and reporters, and we've been able to do this through Gorkana.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Some advantages, but overall difficult"

What do you like best?

I really like how responsive they are with the Rapid Response function. They'll update journalists and outlets as needed, including finding UVMs/circulation figures. It's nice to have another person to help you out when you need something. Also, the national media/NYC based media is pretty well built out, and is updated somewhat regularly.

What do you dislike?

The local database - even in places like LA, can be very outdated. Journalists, entire outlets, circulation/UVM figures and freelance writers are often missing. Many times freelance journalists have phone numbers associated with them that are just to the main desk, and thus not useful if they do not work out of the office. Many people have addresses that default to their main publication, when in fact they're based in another office, work remotely, etc. With this in mind, you have to be very careful if you're sending anything by mail, and are likely to have the package returned in many cases. The search function is difficult to learn as well. It used to not let you export blogger emails, but fortunately that has been fixed. Another tricky thing about Gorkana is that it will not let you export circulation in many cases and doesn't let you search by DMA.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Weigh the benefits vs. the drawbacks.

We use Gorkana to build media lists and locate contact information for editorial contacts.

Gorkana review by Dana T.
Dana T.

"Gorkana - great for media insight "

What do you like best?

Ease of use and reliability. It always is informative about the reporters background

What do you dislike?

Email addresses within the system are not always up to date

Recommendations to others considering the product

Most reliable media tool IÔÇÖve used to date

Media outreach is easier

Gorkana review by User in Individual & Family Services
User in Individual & Family Services

"Fantastic Media Database"

What do you like best?

Their media database was the best I've seen. No database is perfect but they have a team of people working on updating the contacts as they move and change from one company to another.

They also offered me a bespoke payment plan which was nice.

What do you dislike?

They didn't offer a trial which was a shame. Luckily I had many colleagues in the UK that had been customers for a long time which made the decision easier for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind these guys are great for the UK market. I'm not sure how well they do internationally.

Finding relevant contacts n the media to connect with, Gorkana procides me with 80,000 journalists and 23,000 media outlets for me to use to get my message out there.

Gorkana review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Monitoring Tool "

What do you like best?

Easy to use to pull impression numbers for top publications - specifically referencing Cision Point.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is terribly outdated. If you don't type the title of the outlet in exactly like it is entered into the platform it will say there are no results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know that this platform is moving away from Cision Point and into something more user friendly which is nice. I think education is key so set up time with your Cision rep to understand the features of this new interface.

Using this to establish UVMs for top-publications that either our brands or our competitors were mentioned in.

Gorkana review by Sarah B.
Sarah B.

"Pretty good, with the possibilities to be great"

What do you like best?

Rapid Response feature and the constant updating. Anytime I have an update from the office Media Lists I send to Gorkana and they update it, and vice versa, through the Gorkana daily alerts. It is extremely helpful in the quickly-changing media landscape, especially for seemingly-obscure trade publications.

I also like the regional mapping function. It is helpful to gather small papers in suburbs of cities that I am not familiar with.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it is after you input a journalist search into the "Quick Toolbar" that it will tell you, sorry, there are no more seats left. I wish the system would open up with this box, rather than waiting for me to search the reporter. It saves only a few seconds, but time is quite precious.

I love the rapid response feature, though I am concerned not enough users know about it and/or use it. Gorkana should promote this feature to all of its users so that each user is inputting his/her valuable information.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it.

Media contacts, coverage, outlet information, etc.

Gorkana review by Malika H.
Malika H.

"Gorkana Review"

What do you like best?

Very detailed, I like seeing the journalist's detailed description of their beat. Makes it alot easier than to go through all their stories. The website is trustworthy in terms of giving updated information unlike Cision where it can be dated. I know because I cross reference the two often.

What do you dislike?

The database seats. I hate having to wait for someone else to get off so I can get on.

I just like that Gorkana has most of the information I'm looking for. Circulation numbers, emails, beat descriptions, smaller papers that can take longer to find contact info for, and most importantly that its always up to date.

Gorkana review by Nathan I.
Nathan I.

"Fantastic, up-to-date software"

What do you like best?

I've used other software, and nothing compares to Gorkana when it comes to finding a journalist.

What do you dislike?

The only improvement I'd suggest is to allow users to search based on beat generally instead of just within a publication.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Demo the software and I think you'll see that it's better than most other platforms.

I work in PR and so it's critical that we're able to track down the most up-to-date reporter contact information. Gorkana helps us do that.

"Gorkana Database "

What do you like best?

I appreciate how the contacts' information is updated frequently and lets you know when they have left a certain publication.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that my company only has 2 account slots so that we constantly have to wait to be able to kick each other off! Is there another type of system where companies are able to get more use at once besides buying more accounts? I also dislike how when doing media searches with keywords, etc. you are not able to target a certain media market or city easily and it defaults to just the United States. I do not usually find very effective searches when using the keyword search. I also dislike that I am unable to see certain international publications and reporters through Gorkana. Is this an extra charge?

Finding the best contacts to pitch for events and stories. Finding contact information for reporters and editors and learning more about different news publications. I have solved business problems such as finding contact information that my clients and other colleagues have been unable to find through search and other media databases. I always encourage others to use Gorkana rather than other services because I think it keeps things most up to date and has the most information.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Great tool for planning media outreach "

What do you like best?

Gorkana is easy to use and includes a wide range of media contacts, making planning for media outreach simple and effective.

What do you dislike?

While definitely still my primary tool for identifying media influencers and contact information, the database is known to lack the most up-to-date information (media moves, outlet circulation, etc.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need easy and quick access to outlet staffing and media contact information, Gorkana is a great option. The software is very simple to use and includes nearly everything a PR professional needs to execute outreach in a timely manner. The software is slower to report changes in staffing, etc., however.

With Gorkana, my team and I are able to target the correct media contacts to ultimately secure coverage and meet PR goals for client launches and campaigns. Gorkana allows media to include beat details and background to better filter which contact is the best fit for certain announcements.

Gorkana review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Essential service for PR teams that can afford it"

What do you like best?

The media database in Gorkana is the most extensive, relaible and easy to manage on the market. This combined with the ability to distribute press release to pre-made journalist lists and check who has opened your press release is a hugely valuable tool.

What do you dislike?

The combined monitoring and journalist database is expensive. Also the media monitoring service can often miss broadcast mentions.

Allows you to have instant access to virtually every professional journalist working across national, trade, regional, consumer media. For PR professionals who want to rapidly contact journalists it's a vital tool

Gorkana review by Lauren G.
Lauren G.

"Journalist Searches with Gorkana"

What do you like best?

I can always find the right people to pitch to thanks to the database. It's always up to date and accurate so I am always confident I'm getting the best information possible.

What do you dislike?

There's really nothing I dislike! I've really never had any issues with Gorkana, it's always worked well for me.

I've really benefitted from using the software to find journalists. It's fast and accurate and gets me the results I need.

Gorkana review by Christina W.
Christina W.

"Good search filters but outdated"

What do you like best?

search filters, excel export ability, a lot of contact information (work and personal),

What do you dislike?

outdated positions, outdated maternity leave notices, inaccurate job history for certain contacts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's helpful and the customer support is especially effective

Solving the issue of tracking down journalists that cover specific topics for press screenings of films. Helpful that all contact info can be stored online and referred to rather than downloading.

Gorkana review by Marc D.
Marc D.

"Spread the word"

What do you like best?

Very easy system to use when looking for speakers at brands. Easy to fill in information and sumbit.

What do you dislike?

Not much actually the system is simple to use and you can see the details of your post as well.

I was looking for speakers for an event and I posted the request which was shared with subscribers which generated some good responses.

Gorkana review by Nicole S.
Nicole S.

"Gorkana is Great"

What do you like best?

I like that Gorkana has many different contacts that I may not be able to find on other databases. I also really like the ability to search a specific area on the map. I like that Gorkana keeps journalists in their database, but marks them as inactive so I know immediately that they are no longer in journalism.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that i have to type in a person's name for the smart search function to work. I can't just copy and paste.

I make media lists with Gorkana.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Easy to use but sometimes not reliable "

What do you like best?

Ease of use and complexity of data - always up to date

What do you dislike?

Often get an error message which takes some time to fix

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very useful tool. A little expensive for international data unless you can really justify the requirement.

Any gaps in media lists e.g. when publications have ceased or the updating the latest contacts. Also the new lists feature on forward features is useful.

Gorkana review by User in Performing Arts
User in Performing Arts

"Easily Digestible Job Opps to My Inbox"

What do you like best?

I glance at the Gorkana lists quickly to see if anything catches my eye, and it makes it easy to do that. Since I'm not really looking, this is what serves me best without being overbearing.

What do you dislike?

Font could be bigger, it's not the prettiest.

It mostly works as a simple and efficient tool for job searches and listings.

Gorkana review by User

"Public Relations Coordinator"

What do you like best?

The reporter search function is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Some of the reporter information is outdated. It would also be more helpful to search by beat.

Through Gorkana we are able to tailor our press lists to specific industries and ensure the right people are receiving our firm updates.

"Great, extremely helpful."

What do you like best?

The highly accurate media database. Never had to worry about a journalist not being at that outlet. I use to spend hours researching each individual outlet, but Gorkana makes that unnecessary.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, I find the produyct easy to use and let me do exactly what I need. I use it mainly for list building and it always helps there.

When building targeted media list Gorkana cuts down on time researching each individual outlets to find the right journalist to reach out to. This helps my pitches become better received and generates more press for my clients.

Gorkana review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Incredibly Pertinent to the Success of Finding Journalists and Editors"

What do you like best?

I thoroughly enjoy using Gorkana, it allows me to quickly find which journalists and editors I need for my campaigns.

What do you dislike?

I feel as though the search functionality is great but can be improved. The bios need to be expanded to make sure that all beats are covered.

It allows the firm to look up editors and journalists for our PR campaigns.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Great media monitoring and media database service"

What do you like best?

There's lots of benefits to having Gorkana. It provides a really good coverage monitoring service, and is very competitively price. The media database is constantly updated, meaning the correct journalist details are always listed. It also includes a forward feature search tool which is ideal for any communications agency.

What do you dislike?

The database download system is really beneficial (once you've created a list), however issuing a release through Gorkana can be slightly difficult. That's no real issue though and overall the service is great.

Media coverage service, media monitoring, media database, forward features, analytics

Gorkana review by Greer H.
Greer H.

"Helpful for starting direct communication "

What do you like best?

Access to reporters contact information and the organization of media lists

What do you dislike?

The slow, outdated search function. I wish you could search reporters by beats via multiple publications

Reaching out to reporters in real time is a major solution to our work hurdles

"I miss Cision"

What do you like best?

I like the helpful service and quick updates.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of issues with accuracy, which have shown through when we did a media mailer and tons of them came back undeliverable. That did not look good to the client considering part of the markup they pay is for services like this. There are frequently not individual journalist numbers listed, no newsdesk numbers (this is very simple, and should be the baseline for every TV station in the country) and one time I even had a journalist listed with her cell number (which it didn't denote it was a cell number) and she had actually moved publications. It was quite embarrassing, and not denoting when a number is mobile could really get some PR people in hot water.

You can't run a PR agency without a media database. The only benefit of this over others, is that your customer service makes update. Vocus and Cision had much better accuracy, so I'm hopeful this merger will solve those issues soon.

"Amazing"

What do you like best?

Gorkana is so easy to use and I love the newsletter that keeps me up to date on all the moves and changes in the media industry.

What do you dislike?

Some of the contact information for media can be outdated. I'd love for Gorkana to continue to be ahead of the curve so I can be efficient in pitching journalists.

Driving more awareness for brands and increasing WOM. I've realized that if you don't have the right info, the info can't go anywhere. That's where Gorkana comes in as a solution.

"Senior Account Director"

What do you like best?

it seems to have a few advantages over Cision--auto saving, more flexibility in number of people who can access at once and the auto-complete feature in the search bar.

What do you dislike?

The ultimate PR database would have a google-like search function. Also the "criteria search" (search by city, beat, language, etc.) seems to always return suspiciously few results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

has some advantages over cision. is FAR BETTER than not having a solution for finding contact info.

needing to find contact info quickly and build lists. it is helpful for that.

Gorkana review by Spencer M.
Spencer M.

"Business Development at GovLoop"

What do you like best?

I like that Gorkana is generally more up to date than Cision and often is much easier to develop media lists and identify correct media targets. I also think it has a much more advanced measurement capability and engaging with its surveys.

What do you dislike?

I think a huge frustration for media database services are that contacts may not be up to date or that they don't reflect the media outlets employee lists. While I find Gorkana to be more effective at combatting this then Cision, I think it still needs some work.

I use this service for media monitoring and media list development. Infrequently, I use the service for metric reports.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Substantial Insight on Key Media"

What do you like best?

The insight Gorkana provides on the comings and goings of key media is crucial in the PR industry. We have to stay abreast of these updates and leverage relationships, or build new ones. Gorkana enables us to do so at a moment's notice.

What do you dislike?

More photos in the email alert - It would help to see journalists' headshots.

We are solving the problem of "where did X reporter go?" We want to establish personable relationships with reporters, and knowing when they change jobs is critical.

Gorkana review by Gurumantra K.
Gurumantra K.

"Gorkana gives us updates and keeps us alerted to trending topics our audience expects from us."

What do you like best?

We are one of the outlets for Gorkana clients. It's a terrific research tool for us to serve our clients content marketing needs.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it seems lide too much irrelevant info to sort through for our specific needs, but that's a spurt kind of thing with news. Not your doing.

We use the service to keep up with different interest groups related to our content marketing service.

Gorkana review by Mandy R.
Mandy R.

"Pretty good, better than Vocus"

What do you like best?

If you don't have info on a reporter, you can ping Gorkana's Rapid Response Team to look into it for you. They aren't always able to come up with the reporter's contact info, but a lot of times they can.

I also like that each reporter profile links to the writer's Twitter and LinkedIn pages (if they have them).

Daily Gorkana Alerts are great to keep you in the loop on reporter moves and publication hires/layoffs.

What do you dislike?

The advanced search function can be a bit spotty. (i.e. doesn't always come up with relevant info.)

Improved media relations. Saves time in media database search process.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Great most of the time, not always up to date"

What do you like best?

I can almost always find what I'm looking for

What do you dislike?

Oftentimes the information is not current

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely user friendly most of the time, I'm still figuring out some of the kinks and how it works but I've only been using it for a couple of months at this point.

Keeps me in touch with reporters and gives me their contact information. I've made contacts this way.

"How Useful"

What do you like best?

I like the simple database set up. It is easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how limited certain accounts are. I can't find all contacts, and sometimes it's not completely up to date. I can't build list directly in the site which would be a helpful tool for referencing back to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to research if editors/writers are still at the listed company.

I am able to find the right contacts to communicate with and ask questions.

"Decent Experience "

What do you like best?

I enjoy the ability to search by sector and the pre-build media lists.

What do you dislike?

That you can't narrow down by city specific publications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The program is fairly easy to use and is very helpful if you're looking to pull a large database. There's still a lot of journalists missing and it doesn't feel like profiles are up to date. Also, the circulation and UVM numbers are way off from that of Cision and Compete.

It's easy to quickly search and outlet or person. You don't have to switch the category every time you do a search.

Gorkana review by Kelly R.
Kelly R.

"Extremely easy to use and intuitive"

What do you like best?

Easy to see what is driving traffic and working effectively and what is not.

What do you dislike?

I have no dislikes for this product, it's very beneficial and easy to use.

Most effective PR methods

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Gorkana has been a somewhat helpful resource in my work experience."

What do you like best?

I love that you can find circulation numbers for different outlets on Gorkana. I also appreciate that freelancers are listed as well.

What do you dislike?

When email addresses are out of date it isn't always updated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very helpful to find names of folks at different outlets, however the contact information for those people isn't always completely up to date.

Getting someone's contact information quickly. This can help in a crisis.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Prefer Gorkana to Cision "

What do you like best?

The information is most current, the navigation is easy and having an image of the reporter is great background.

What do you dislike?

Building search lists can be a hassle. It would be great if there were more categories of interest to pull from and a way to tap into what media are saying on social to include as their interest.

Providing intel on media outlets and influencers that cover my clients.

Learning about Gorkana?

* We monitor all Gorkana reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.