G2 Crowd builds the world's largest business commerce platform fueled by $100M in funding ­čÜÇ

GrabCAD Workbench

GrabCAD Workbench is the cloud-based PDM solution that ensures your engineering team and partners are always working on the right CAD file.

Work for GrabCAD Workbench?

Learning about GrabCAD Workbench?

GrabCAD Workbench Reviews

Ask GrabCAD Workbench a Question
Showing 21 GrabCAD Workbench reviews
GrabCAD Workbench review by Robert E.
Robert E.

"Works great for small companies and projects"

What do you like best?

I like that GrabCad is a free file management system that can be integrated into solid works.

What do you dislike?

The revisioning and interface is a little slow. There isn't much individual control for revisions if you use folders for managements of files.

It will crash pretty regularly every two days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is great for a small office trying to keep uptodate files in stand with other people. If helps things feel a little less cluttered and helps with back up as well.

It is great to have a free revision control software to help with sharing files.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about GrabCAD Workbench
GrabCAD Workbench review by Brian M.
Brian M.

"Useful with great PDM potential for some companies"

What do you like best?

+ Stratasys bought it and made it completely free!

+ It is a really effective way to share CAD files for collaboration.

+ It tracks versions.

+ It is a great sharing tool whether or not everyone is a CAD user. All you need is a browser and you can view files 3D.

+ It will show the file custom properties (not sure about config specific).

+ GrabCAD Workbench understands SolidWorks file references, so the parent assembly will be at the top of the file page. And all the parts will show up.

+ The ease of viewing 3D CAD files makes them much more alive and valuable than if you put them in some regular files sharing site like DropBox.

+ Good search tool.

+ Cloud viewer can even handle SolidWorks configurations. (does not do display states, but that is understandable).

+ It has Owner, Collaborator, and Viewer permission levels... Actually also Partner Spaces, that has a few more related options (e.g. can view files and can or cannot download native CAD format).

+ I like that the revision control system is simple and unrestricted. (versions are just sequential numbers each time you check-in). Revisions are deliberately selected by a user. So the user manually selects the Revision scheme they want (e.g. Revision: B).

+ Can Lock files so only one user changes at a time. (others can unlock it though)

What do you dislike?

- Browser cloud Viewer could use more development. (for example, SolidWorks mouse settings option).

- Viewer cannot display SolidWorks drawings :(

- Sometimes viewer will fail to display a certain assembly. It is a rare bug. But I have not found a work around once it happens.

- Viewer cannot display sketches in a .sldprt file. Only solids and surfaces.

- Could use more check-in options (would like to have a filter so I could select only files with a certain word, or subfolder). For example when I check in 100 parts I sometimes want to put different comments on different sub assemblies.

- Could use a way to stamp multiple files with a revision letter in one action. And link to file custom properties.

- 3 simple permission levels is not enough for some companies.

- Migration tools and scripts would be very useful if GrabCAD Workbench is really going to be a PDM replacement for companies that already have thousands of CAD files (on network drive, or PDM system they want to stop using).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Only ease of use issue is it takes a practice to know how it will handle things like restructuring folders and changing file names. Can sometimes lose history on a file if name change is not done in right way.

It meets my requirements in many ways, they cover the really core stuff, but they should get improving it and adding PDM features (but I also don't want it to ever become Enterprise PDM or something bloated like that, it is more pleasant than a big PDM system).

Great for collaborating with non-cad users. Saves me time because they can capture their own screenshot images from any orientation they want.

Tracks versions for design iterations. Allows access from

What Other CAD solution do you use?

GrabCAD Workbench review by William D.
William D.

"Cornerstone of our product data!"

What do you like best?

Grabcad simplifies managing our SolidWorks data and acts as a central place for keeping up with versions.

What do you dislike?

The updates have slowed down but on the other hand, it is owned by a larger company now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easy to get setup and test so just give it a try!

Product data management.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Jonathan K.
Jonathan K.

"GrabCad Review"

What do you like best?

Ease of access to any and all models across the company portfolio is a great tool. The ease of searching for already designed parts and components in circulation reduces design and verification time as well as saves money during the design process, knowing what parts and components have already been designed and could already be in use.

What do you dislike?

The need to remember to "lock" the parts you are currently working on is essential. Without locking the part form further changes could results in two people working on the same part at the same time. Changes then would be confusing and revision history could become a mess.

Slow internet access could also slow file transfer and become a problem for larger files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember to Lock files

Need to contain all designed parts in one location for the entire engineering department to have access while conducting designs and analysis work.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Ethan F.
Ethan F.

"Fits well into current engineering workflow."

What do you like best?

The ease of introduction has been so great. We are always moving so fast on projects and have very little time to work on extraneous projects. But this software was up and running in less than 10 minutes and adding our files was simple.

What do you dislike?

The only big problem I have had so far is that you cannot preview .slddrw files in the Workbench app online. I assume this is a feature that will be added sooner than later. But it is complicating our workflow between Engineering and Purchasing. Not stopping or ruining the workflow. But it would be a nice feature to have.

One big problem that we have is multiple files with the same revision. Sometimes they are the same, sometimes they are different. With Workbench, we have gotten rid of this problem. Which makes our documentation more robust and easier to navigate for other departments other than Engineering.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Morgan M.
Morgan M.

"Modern PDM For The Small to Medium Business"

What do you like best?

Mobile access to any files I want to load into Workbench.

Easily share files with vendors and simultaneously know what version was shared.

Lightweight desktop application and SolidWorks integration.

Flexible user plans and low access cost compared to PDMworks, Windchill, or Adept.

Zero setup time - it's ready to go the day you buy it, just start uploading.

Extremely responsive customer service.

Open to input for new development - listens to their customers.

Part library designation for certain projects is a huge help.

What do you dislike?

If you have slow internet the upload/download process can be time consuming.

Resolving conflicts is better than dropbox, but you have to plan ahead and be careful when working with others.

Remember to lock the files you're using!

The desktop application user interface needs more organization tools for the files so you can sort/search/manage files on disk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommend GrabCAD Workbench for smaller companies who don't want to justify spending thousands on a new software implementation that takes forever to set up.

GrabCAD Workbench is turnkey, ready to go.

A great place to keep any kind of files, not just CAD documentation.

We went from zero revision control to having a complete PDM solution for our data.

Centralized access helps us eliminate duplication of work and files.

Data storage is more easily managed.

Solves the SolidWorks collaboration problems we had with Dropbox.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Eric L.
Eric L.

"What the CAD community needs! Almost there."

What do you like best?

I like that it is cad-agnostic, but plays well with major packages.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was some way of implementing a part numbering system, even if it was only something on the grabCAD tab that told you what the next available part number is, or whatever schema you have defined.

Also defining workflows (design, analysis, review, approval) and roles appropriate roles to contributors.

Finally, whenever I try "download as" in the web-interface, it freezes, no matter what computer I am on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A valuable PDM tool for small design groups that doesn't need a lot of customization.

There are bugs in the web interface which drive me nuts occasionally, but I am sure it will continue to improve.

Needed PDM, too small to go with EPDM.

One benefit is getting a particular download in a particular format of a file when I don't have access to my work computer.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Patrick D.
Patrick D.

"Great for cloud-based PDM and collaboration!"

What do you like best?

As a small startup, the cloud-based architecture has been the best feature. It allows our small team of engineers on our team to check in/out design projects as well as control revisions, both in the office and at home. The online visualization and collaboration tools have also been great. Our engineers have easily been able to share designs with executives who are not always on-site and quickly get feedback on how to proceed.

What do you dislike?

The product is fairly new, so the feature set is a bit minimalist compared to other PDM solutions. Stronger integration into SolidWorks and Windows Explorer would be nice. I'm confident GrabCad will continue to add more valuable features over time.

Right now, we are primarily interested in storing all our design projects in a central location and having basic revision control on those projects. The collaboration tools were not initially a primary area of interest, but their utility has proven very valuable.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Mike J.
Mike J.

"So easy your grandma could use it!"

What do you like best?

GrabCAD Workbench is an amazing plug and play tool that immediately helped us with revision control of our CAD files. Being able to manage other file types was an added bonus. I love the intuitive online CAD tools that allow our product managers and industrial designers to see and manipulate CAD models right in their browsers. Another amazing bonus is how well it works in China. So far we have had no problems sharing files from the US to our Chinese suppliers.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if a preview of more file types was available but I understand this will come over time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Are you using SolidWorks? It's integrated really well when you install the plugin.

Revision control and communicating design changes has been incredibly simplified with GrabCAD Workbench.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Andre B.
Andre B.

"Useful tool for cross border collaboration"

What do you like best?

I used GrabCAD to transfer a large project from a UK based design team to a US based investor and outsourced manufacturing supply chain. It was fantastic for communicating with non CAD users involved with the purchasing, goods in and assembly of this complex vehicle featuring many parts. The thing I have found most useful is the ability to request features, and for those requests to be followed up by real people at GrabCAD with a thankyou and details of whether the feature might make it into the software. Partner Spaces is a perfect example of this - I needed a way to share only a few files with a certain type of manufacturing partner for quote, for instance laser cutting profiles. The cars I have designed and use GrabCAD for allow me to collect file types for each manufacturing process throughout the whole assembly, sharing each type with multiple suppliers for quote. very handy.

What do you dislike?

I found the file sync'ing clunky with the early versions of the desktop tool and now don't use this feature. I don't think it handles file conflicts very well yet, but I am sure it will improve. There needs to be more control over permissions, not just the basic view, edit options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really useful tool in the engineers toolbox

Design handover to globally distributed team of engineers and non engineers

version control of files for manufacture

sharing files to various third party manufacturing companies

GrabCAD Workbench review by Andy H.
Andy H.

"Modernize your vendor communications through GrabCAD"

What do you like best?

The three pieces that highlight my GrabCAD experience are: customer service, vendor communication, and mobility.

GrabCAD's customer service is exceptional. I work in a small company of ~20 individuals - not that big of a customer in many service providers' eyes. GrabCAD's CEO and his partner, made of point of stopping by our company for an afternoon to discuss GrabCAD's new features and how we were integrating them into our system. Their customer service team has implemented several features that we requested during that meeting and continue to follow up on a regular basis.

GrabCAD's partner space allows me to give vendor's access to specific files in our ever-changing development repository. If these files change, the vendors have access to the latest version. This means we don't have to trace down emails from 3 months prior to see what version of a file was sent out for fab. We also have no vendor confusion about which version of a component they should produce when we place a purchase order.

GrabCAD gives CAD access to non-ME's on their phones. GrabCAD's phone app allows the user to pull up a solid model on their phone from your online repository. You are able to rotate it and zoom just like on your desktop. This may not seem like much, but it gives our marketing and management team a huge advantage. They can use these models to pitch ideas to clients or lead strategy discussions, regardless of their CAD skill level. It's also handy for lunch discussions.

What do you dislike?

While the phone app is revolutionary, it's not quite there yet. File structures aren't maintained and loading times can be prohibitive for larger assemblies.

It can be difficult to make the leap from a PLM system to a cloud based CAD management system without part number and BOM structure built into the database. I believe GrabCAD is currently working out a strategy for part numbering. There's no way, that I am aware of, to link your BOM's to your GrabCAD database.

It would be nice if I could link design documents to CAD files for the construction of our DHF.

GrabCAD helps us sync our day-to-day mechanical development efforts. It is a cloud based system which allows me to share all of our CAD data and revisions with our collaborators who are often on a different continent.

Our management team can access our CAD files without CAD software. They can quickly overview designs to see if they properly fit intended product vision.

GrabCAD Workbench review by James S.
James S.

"Implementing GrabCAD into a Design Team - Initial Thoughts"

What do you like best?

I like GrabCAD's blend of traditional PDM functionality for organizing design data and managing file history with new tools that simplify the collaboration process and increase the communication of changes within the design team. Implementation has been smooth with great customer support and training provided.

What do you dislike?

While GrabCAD's main focus appears to be on handling 3D content, I'd like to see more done to support 2D drawings, PDF's, Excel and Word documents that support the design process. In particular, the ability to view, markup and comment on 2D drawings in the browser or in the mobile apps would be a big help while I am travelling.

Recommendations to others considering the product

My recommendation would be to commit to using GrabCAD for one full design project so that the complete set of tools can be used first hand.

First and foremost, GrabCAD solves the problems of organizing design related data and managing file history.

Secondly, the cloud-based storage allows for easier collaboration with non-engineers within the company and with outside vendors and machine shops. This functions will become increasing important as we complete the full implementation of GrabCAD over the next several months.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Dale B.
Dale B.

"CAD Collaboration gets so much easier"

What do you like best?

Before Workbench we were using Solidworks PDM, which was extremely painful to maintain, was extremely heavy to use and was extremely limiting in who could use it. Now with our CAD in the cloud, anytime I want to bring in a collaborator (which is a lot), instead of a static pack and go, i just send them an invite from Workbench and they can instantly view the most up to date files, and then stay up to date. This has been extremely valuable. It also allows me to take my work home or on the road and stay connected no problem. LOVE that.

What do you dislike?

The interface is a tad heavy. Think it could be improved. It's a minor complaint though.

I have the ability to iterate on complex designs much more quickly, and this is hugely valuable.

GrabCAD Workbench review by John W.
John W.

"Works well with Solid Edge"

What do you like best?

I like the remote nature of GrabCAD. I can work from anywhere on any device and be productive designing with the most current data without having to remote login.

What do you dislike?

That I can't have a separate common library for multiple categories such as hardware, electronic components, switches, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a nice solution for remote data management, but I wouldn't call it a PLM or even a PDM tool.

We were able to more easily convert a contractors Solid Works files into Solid Edge more completely.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Miguel A.
Miguel A.

"A new playing field"

What do you like best?

It had a very fast implementation. My clients and my team were involved with the new projects from the beginning.

The access and storage are easy in the cloud. Great to work with PARASOLID files.

It is very useful as a project collaboration system and you can use it as a bridge between two different PDM.

Perfect environment for my work as freelancer.

What do you dislike?

Does not allow SLDDRW and EDRAWING files to be displayed

Recommendations to others considering the product

It does have use as a project collaboration system and you can use it as a bridge between two different PDM. Perfect environment for my work as freelancer.

Very fast product development. Automatic communication with notifications.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Ian B.
Ian B.

"GrabCad changes the playing field"

What do you like best?

Development projects don't go 'cold'. Everyone involved is kept up to date. Unnecessary meetings are eliminated. Executive politicking is reduced as everything is 'on record'. We have found it critical however to get the right kind of people involved with GC - dynamic, accepting of new work practices.

What do you dislike?

GrabCad URGENTLY requires a time planning system. I don't know why this was never considered in the first place. Show me an engineer without deadlines. This is especially important if following a concurrent engineering philosophy. The desktop app started updating itself while I was CNC milling - that didn't go down well.

The interface could be more compact and tidier - too much unused space between elements. The 3D viewer does not honour layer attributes with Rhino v5 files. This viewer should read 2D entities too ("Hello, we still issue drawings."). A viewer for MS Excel would be nice.

The point system is 'pointless' to me - childish. An extra 10 points for uploading a screenshot of my login? What does anyone stand to gain by that? I don't like that kind of BS. I upload whichever kind of file is relevant for getting the job done, so why points for a 3D model but not for a PDF of a drawing? That just turns a useful tool into a silly game. Not IMHO a professional approach. Please expend that energy on improving the performance of the tools (e.g. read 2D entities in a 3D model and honour layer attributes).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it.

(The 'Implementation' questions below don't make much sense or did I miss something? We go online, login and use GC, that simple).

Integrated hardware/software development. Product development is faster, more bullet proof. Problems that would have only possibly surfaced in production are caught early. That reduces costs and frustration enormously.

GrabCAD Workbench review by User in Machinery
User in Machinery

"Just what our company needed"

What do you like best?

A simple user interface and easy implementation. I was amazed of the ability to explode and section 3D-models in the web browser. It integrates seamlessly into Solidworks, and I have experienced very few problems with it. A reasonably priced quality software.

Also the customer support has been flawless!

What do you dislike?

There is room for improvement in how all the files are sorted and presented within the different projects. Also viewing drawing files in the browser is needed.

After trying several other cloud based storage options, we have found that Workbench lets us achive our goals way ahead of the competition. Up to date models and drawings, good sync control, easy to implement, easy to share are keywords from us.

GrabCAD Workbench review by David A.
David A.

"GrabCAD PLM"

What do you like best?

Cloud based software can be accessed from any computer without downloading. Provides visualization to non CAD team members. Allows sharing of files with vendors.

What do you dislike?

Does not use BOM structure or allow integration of attributes with files. Does not allow slddrw files to be displayed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not try to use this as a PLM system. It does have use as a project collaboration system.

Need for non Mechanical team members to view and perform limited analysis on files. Transfer of files to vendors.

GrabCAD Workbench review by Don C.
Don C.

"GrabCAD Workbench is Terrific"

What do you like best?

*Easy access/storage in the cloud.

*Easy to keep synced with co-workers and our server. We work in different countries and Workbench does not require costly international networking.

What do you dislike?

*Does not display slddrw format in the web interface viewer.

*Does not delete empty directory folders. It needs to do this in order to keep all files synced properly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

*I don't hesitate to recommend Workbench. It is an affordable alternative to other PDM applications. The development team seems open to suggestions so it is only likely to keep getting better.

*Pricing is reasonable in my opinion.

*Communication!!! As long as users upload their project(s), communication is automatic with notifications.

*Just keeping synced is proving to be a great benefit.

GrabCAD Workbench review by User in Military
User in Military

"Great open source platform"

What do you like best?

This is a great CAD community resource. The ability to share ideas, files, and advice is outstanding.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I dislike about this great resource.

The ability to reach out for advice and or parts that were already created to help fix equipment

GrabCAD Workbench review by Consultant in Marketing and Advertising
Consultant in Marketing and Advertising

"great app"

What do you like best?

Great app with easy interface easy to use, easy to manage and share files. Ability to multiple people to work on it is great as well.

What do you dislike?

I really like this product. Can't think of anything to dislike.

Workbench seems like a great product for the full team to use.

Learning about GrabCAD Workbench?

* We monitor all GrabCAD Workbench reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.