Greenshot

Greenshot is a free and open source screenshot utility optimized for productivity

Work for Greenshot?

Learning about Greenshot?

Greenshot Reviews

Showing 72 Greenshot reviews
Greenshot review by <span>Slavko G.</span>
Slavko G.

"Software product manager"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is running in the background and can be always activated by hotkey. I mostly use capture region, but other option hotkeys are also available (window , full screen and so). Capturing is accurate at the pixel level using "looking glass" for selection.

Captured image can be copied to clipboard or open in greenshot image editor (these options I use), or open in other programs - paint, power point , word etc.

image editor is simple, and have almost all what you have - annotation (text, shapes, counters) in different colors and borders. The content can be copied to clipboard, saved to file, or sent to other programs (outlook, power point, word etc.)

And it is free!

What do you dislike?

I would like to have a saved history of previously captured images.

As a software product manager I often need to comment some software functionality or report bugs to developers. greenshot gives me simple solution (simplicity is a benefit) that allows me to easily attach some images (screen regions) into email to my colleagues.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Greenshot
Greenshot review by <span>Rob T.</span>
Rob T.

"Straightforward, simple, and intuitive"

What do you like best?

Many applications do not have an easy or convenient way to capture the contents of a screen, be it a combination of character hotkeys, pulling up a separate program, or even accessing it from the widget/tools from the browser bar. Greenshot is intuitive - it uses the "Print Scrn" key, enables a drag box, and the capture shows up in its own window, automatically copied to the clipboard. That's all it does, but that's all it needs to do. The grab is given a unique name, so "saving as" is always different, even if the grab is the same exact capture, but one second later.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything to dislike. Greenshot is compact and doesn't try to do anything else beyond screen grabs.

Many applications do not have an organic way to collect or re-display content. With Greenshot I can do it anyway.

What Screen and Video Capture solution do you use?

Greenshot review by <span>Tommy S.</span>
Tommy S.

"So easy to access, no need to click buttons!"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that you do not need to click around or press several buttons in order to take a simple screenshot. I also like that you can save or open the screenshot automatically in a program of your choice, without having to right click, then save, then reopen for editing in another program.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I have found so far that I dislike is that it does not allow freeform snipping.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it! The program is very inexpensive and for a Mac, it can be purchased for only a few dollars. For Microsoft Windows users, there is even better news! If you're running a PC instead of a MacBook, then you're in luck - there is no fee! For other programs, take SnagIt for instance, you'd be paying around $50 for a permanent copy of the software. The one thing that SnagIt has that Greenshot doesn't is the inherent ability to screen capture and recognize specific text. On the other hand, Greenshot allows you to customize the operation of the program via assigned hot keys.

There are many times where we need to snip parts of a video. Sometimes, when you try to do that with other tools such as the Windows Snipping Tool, the mouse pointer or the cursor is accidentally left on the screen. With Greenshot, that becomes less likely to happen as you never have to maneuver the mouse ... all you do is press the printscreen key on the keyboard.

Greenshot review by <span>Robert B.</span>
Robert B.

"Flawless, Free, and Underrated"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is Feature-Rich, User Friendly, and Easy for Admins to setup ahead of time for users. This is stellar software for anyone from the Individual Consumer, up to the top of the Fortune 50.

There are dozens of configurable features, from hot-keys, to where, how, and what you'd like to do with your screenshots. You can screenshot an area, a window, the full screen, or even an application.

You can choose to send your screenshots directly to the image editor if you'd like, rather than choosing every time, which will easily allow you to customize everything exactly the way you like.

What do you dislike?

In some older versions, there were memory/crashing issues... As of lately, none.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't just install it and feel like it's going to work exactly the way you want! NOTHING WILL! Take some time to explore the preferences and settings. Set the software up to work the way that you want! This is some really solid software, that I can't recommend more.

P.S. If you like it, SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS!

Screen Capture, light image manipulation, Documentation, End-User Training.

Greenshot review by <span>Amanda D.</span>
Amanda D.

"Nice screenshotting software, but little issues"

What do you like best?

It's great for if you need to take screenshots and then annotate them.

I like that you can choose each time you create a screenshot what to do with it and where to edit it.

You can specify what region to capture (window / screen / just an IE window, etc.), so if you use multiple monitors, you're not constantly cropping your screenshots down to what you actually wanted to capture.

There are a ton of annotation options, plus you can decide if you want to capture mouse pointers with the screenshot.

The software will send the screenshot to a number of different programs for editing or embedding (Outlook, Word, your clipboard, your printer, etc.). You can set a default preference for this OR choose dynamically each time you are working with a screenshot.

What do you dislike?

I have an issue with this software and the "Snipping Tool" that is included with windows essentially "fighting" over the Print Screen functionality on my system. I with there was a way to change the hotkeys for that command. If there is, I haven't found it yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. I have really only had good experiences with it.

Several things.

1) Support to users-- this allows me to take screenshots when creating instructions for users that are having issues with our ERP system and lets me annotate those screenshots to provide the clearest instructions for data entry.

2) Meeting audit requirements - Anytime we make changes to the ERP system, we much document through screenshots the changes that were made. This software makes that simple.

Greenshot review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Screenshot application that should have a simple mode"

What do you like best?

Full featured and quick with tons of options for annotation and save. Default locations and settings save some time. Lots of options (capture cursor, regions, screen, etc.). Direct upload to imgur if that's your thing. Lives in system tray which is convenient.

What do you dislike?

It could be a tiny bit quicker. Skitch is still my favorite, even though it's no longer developed. Skitch is a tiny bit quicker and simpler to create attractive screenshots to share. Image icons in editor are too small and not that attractive. Still, they are effective.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up your default save settings/location early on and you'll save yourself a step! Also take the time to learn the keyboard shortcuts.

Need to use this pretty much daily... several times per day. Sometimes it's far easier just to send an image than to explain in words. Great for explaining worksteps and multiple progressive steps through software.

Greenshot review by <span>Daniel M.</span>
Daniel M.

"Great tool for support"

What do you like best?

The quickness and performance of the app. Also how easy capture a new screenshot. Also super light weight for the features.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be difficult to take a screenshot when doing something like hovering over an object with your mouse.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure it is set as a startup program. It is easy to forget to start it up.

I use it to help provide support to users. In an age where we are constantly communicating through email it can be difficult to explain something with text along. So having a tool that you can take a quick screenshot with and do some easy edits makes a huge difference in time savings.

Greenshot review by <span>Paige M.</span>
Paige M.

"Great LITTLE Program"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of usage. You simple right-click, choose your capture preference--point and shoot. It is super easy to get just the right area coverage no matter what you a capturing.

What do you dislike?

It is not the prettiest program. It certainly doesn't have a whole lot of frills to over in terms of looks--in all honesty it looks like something out of Windows 98.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep Greenshot close by either as a pinned program or as a desktop icon. You may find you use it once or twice a month and then other times 50 times in a week. Either way it is consistent, easy to use, and easy to choose just what you need and nothing more. It has a blur function for people dealing with sensitive information. There are also quick icons to save, print, email, crop or highlight.

I use Greenshot to easily attach visuals to confusing email correspondence. It also makes capturing confidential information super easy with the "blur" option. I work with customer's SSN, home addresses, and payment history. Sometimes I need to print screen captures of accounts to do additional work but I don't need all this sensitive information out there in case the documents are compromised. I love the Greenshot can help ease the worry of this and in a quick and easy manner.

Greenshot review by User in Staffing and Recruiting
User in Staffing and Recruiting

"Best Screen Capture Tool"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is awesome. I have it set up so it runs silently in the background and I can take a screenshot using a keyboard shortcut and then output it to a variety of sources. It easily lets you save it to a default location, specify a location, open in their editing tool which is really helpful to quickly markup images. Anyone that can see my screen when I end up using greenshot always asks what program I am using and says they are going to go install it.

What do you dislike?

No complaints with greenshot other than the fact that I can't seem to record video using the version I currently have installed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it!

Helps me with my personal productivity as well as with documentation

Greenshot review by <span>Alan J.</span>
Alan J.

"Screen Capture and Simple Editor/Annotation"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is an easy to use screen shot tool that also allows for simple annotating (drawing) on the screen shot. There are many ways to customize the tool. Drawing arrows, text, boxes etc are all very easy. After you are done you can easily copy to clipboard or send to Outlook or several other tools.

Also nice that this is a free open source tool so you don't have to worry about a license if you want to share it with a friend.

What do you dislike?

Hard to say what I don't like. The developers have done a wonderful job. It does not take up much ram in the background, but I am old fashioned could always say shrink memory size it more if possible.

I do wish there was a scrolling screen shot feature, but not sure if i would use it or not as that could make for a very long JPG file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out, but it would suggest in the Preferences/Settings to -> Destination tab select Open in Image Editor as the default output. So you can take advantage of the full power of Greenshot.

I have found I am much more efficient with Greenshot. I will send coworkers an email with screenshots that I have quickly marked up and they will understand what i am talking about more than trying to explain in text or verbally. "A picture says a thousand words".

I have even been known to screen shot a section of a Microsoft Word or PDF document I was sending to someone. So the Microsoft Word or PDF document was attached and I included an annotated screen shot of part of the document that I might want the email recipient to focus on when reviewing the document I sent.

Greenshot review by <span>Susie G.</span>
Susie G.

"My favorite screenshot program"

What do you like best?

Greenshot makes taking snapshots/screenshots of your computer screen so unbelievably easy!

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything to complain about yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Greenshot offers ease of use and a variety of options of what to do with your screenshot. It's a "cut" above the rest.

In my position, we frequently need to email screenshots of client accounts, system issues, error messages, the list goes on, to different departments and clients. Before Greenshot the process was cumbersome, we had to use the PrtSc button and paste into the Paint program etc. Now we can click the icon on our toolbar or still use the PrtSc button on the keyboard, but we have multiple options including saving straight to a folder on our desktop. It has made my job a little easier, and that is a big benefit!

Greenshot review by <span>Jennifer M.</span>
Jennifer M.

"I don't take screenshots without it."

What do you like best?

Being able to select a screen or region to screenshot is extremely useful. I have three monitors, and if I just used printscreen, I would end up with a screenshot of all three screens. Being able to select a screen, or a region of one screen, saves me a lot of time cropping. I also love the editing tool. It allows me to quickly crop, draw, obfuscate, or add text to any image.

What do you dislike?

When I save screenshots as JPG files, they are low quality and appear distorted I get around this issue by saving them as PNG files, but I would like to be able to save high quality JPGs too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Save your screenshots as PNG files instead of JPGs for higher quality images.

I have a Facebook page where I comment on company complaints. I take screenshots of the complaints and my comments to post on my page. This has made updating my page much easier. I used to have to take a huge screenshot, then open Photoshop and edit it there. Now I can just capture one small region of one screen and open the editing tool automatically to obfuscate the person's name and then save it to post on my page.

Greenshot review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Easily one of the most robust tools out there"

What do you like best?

The configuration of Greenshot is amazing. You're able to create hotkey short cuts to call the program and select what happens once the screen capture happens. I really like the cross hairs and zoomed in feature when capturing an area. There are a number of built-in options to markup the image as well. Also, they provide a feature that allows you to push screenshot images to MS Office products.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of options that can seem clunky at times. However, this is not a case of "less is more" the number of features and integrations is amazing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I feel Greenshot is a complete screen capture and mock up option.

I've integrated Greenshot into my everyday workflows. The configurable shortcut key is essential. I have it setup as Ctrl+Shift+A and bam grab the content I want and I can move on. It's way easier than needing to launch an application then copy and paste it into a markup program then save and attach the image...

Greenshot review by <span>Giridhur S.</span>
Giridhur S.

"Very effective and productive screenshot tool"

What do you like best?

The ability to remove/crop anything in the screenshot instantly before sending it. Also, I love how i am able to upload to imgur and other services just after editing it.

Greenshot is does its job better than the system default software in all operating systems, and it's heading in the right direction. With a little more development, they can perfect the software and overthrow everything else.

Greenshot's obfuscate makes it all the more easier for me to block sensitive information in the screenshot.

I would recommend Greenshot to everyone, not just professionals. Life would have been a lot more easier if I knew about greenshot when I was a kid, it was very difficult to brag about gaming achievements back then.

What do you dislike?

Greenshot isnt there for the Mac and Linux, this makes me waste more time in those operating systems, given that I use linux quite often, for software development.

Greenshot doesn't always work on OpenGL applications in Windows, and crashes often in that particular -case. Example : any video player, browsers sometimes.

Greenshot has trouble during startup sometimes, which crashes explorer.exe sometimes, that frustrates me whenever that happens.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You are at the right spot. Look nowhere else. It's small, fast, and easy to use. 2mins of usage is enough to make you a true believer.

I play games, and develop software. Greenshot is an easy way to share your current progress amongst peers, and very useful if you want to know more about something that you cant describe in words, just greenshot it and google it up.

Greenshot review by <span>David M.</span>
David M.

"The screenshot utility that should be built into Windows"

What do you like best?

I have been using Greenshot for roughly two years now and can say with confidence that it is one of the most useful utilities that I have installed on my computer! Greenshot can be customized to be anything from a dead-simple screenshot tool (similar to Windows Snipping Tool) to a full-blown image annotation utility. I love being able to use Greenshot to capture just a certain area of my screen and then highlight what is most important in the capture before sending it off to someone or including it in a document. Also a big plus is the ability to bind a number of Greenshot's functions to keyboard shortcuts.

What do you dislike?

The only knocks against Greenshot have to do with running it on a hi-dpi display. The image editor included with Greenshot is absolutely tiny on a hi-dpi display. Additionally, the screenshots are saved at full resolution (to the clipboard, at least). It would be nice to give the option to compress to a certain pixel width/height.

Also, Greenshot should really just be built in to Windows at this point. That would be awesome!

Greenshot allows me to perform tasks in one application that used to take me 2-3. It's a huge time-saver!!

Greenshot review by <span>Kenny A.</span>
Kenny A.

"What Snipping Tool Wishes it was!"

What do you like best?

It's full screen, single screen, portion of screen capture options. It's ability to upload to multiple web platforms natively, How lightweight the application is.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there really isn't anything to dislike. If there was something that I needed to put here, it'd be that I didn't pick this one up sooner than later.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to check the documentation on initial setup. And before you jump right in thinking it'll auto upload to imgur/dropbox, be sure to setup those services first before actually using. can be a very frustrating.

In my line of work, I need to showcase different portions of my screen for instructional purposes. Before I would use Microsoft's snipping tool but the options that Greenshot affords far outweighs any offering from MS. With a few users, they prefer to not get attachments so being able to simply send a link to imgur without having to actually send a file, is so much faster.

Greenshot review by <span>Elias R.</span>
Elias R.

"The Best Screenshotter I've Used"

What do you like best?

This is the absolute best screen capturing software I have ever used, hands down. I can't even begin to explain how useful it is. What I like best is how quickly and accurately you can get a snippet of something and then edit it seconds later. This product has helped us save lots of money for our clients by being able to quickly and efficiently send useful data out to our field staff. They get quality images from us, thanks to this product.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the software slows down and begins to lag,, but that's not too much of an issue. You just can't go lightning fast with the software. I can't think of too much else that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it. Seriously, just get it. You won't regret it, especially if you currently use windows snippet tool. It's so much better. It's free, so just give it a shot.

I'm able to quickly and effectively capture information that I can then send out to my field members. I'm also able to highlight specific words/phrases/on-screen objects that help me point out crucial details of what I'm sending to them. This has had an actual impact on our money saving.

Greenshot review by <span>Jack D.</span>
Jack D.

"Simple, easy to use, and great optional outputs"

What do you like best?

You can snip directly into Microsoft Paint and then highlight what you want to show someone. simple copy/paste into an email allows you to really specify to your recipient what you want them to see.

What do you dislike?

nothing, it's perfect for me as is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

best around, especially since it's free (I'd give a donation though)

Allows me to cut and paste anything on my screen and share it with others instead of rewriting. Sames me time

Greenshot review by <span>Stephanie W.</span>
Stephanie W.

"Most used application on my computer"

What do you like best?

The ease of Greenshot is it's best feature. I got the print screen button on my keyboard and it pops up. I can copy/paste, change the looks, redact information, save and more.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps it's my application but I am unable to keystroke ctrl c, ctrl v to copy paste. I actually have to file, copy to slipboard etc... to be able to copy paste a screenshot

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a far easier tool than "snipping tool" as I can have apparently unlimited amounts of screenshots open at one time to refer back to.

I work in an area in which I usually need to copy the screen to be able to apply the information about the product into a letter I am typing up. Having Greenshot allows me to only need one screen open at work and just copy the information needed from my screenshot

Greenshot review by User

"Simple to use, favorite tool"

What do you like best?

I love that it's a single hotkey to open it and using it is so simple. I had never really used screenshots of anything before a client introduced me to Greenshot, and not I use the program daily and it is so useful.

What do you dislike?

I'm an idiot and keep hitting the hotkey by mistake, so then I have to wait the moment for it to open and do its thing before I can close it.

Greenshot assists me with training new employees and with providing them technical assistance. Rather than having to explain everything in words, I am able to provide a series of images which are much more efficient.

Greenshot review by <span>Maciej B.</span>
Maciej B.

"Incredible package available for free"

What do you like best?

The amount of features this software gives when it comes to capturing and then editing screen shots is staggering. Once you use it you will wonder how did you get by without it earlier. All of this while it's offered for free.

What do you dislike?

There are two things I would like Greenshot to have:

- ability to capture full scrolling page from software other than Internet Explorer

- a little bit more robust image editor

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try - you can't go wrong!

Capturing screens or fragments of them. Quickly placing notes, emphasizing important parts of image.

Capturing screens from scrolling webpages (unfortunately IE only)

Greenshot review by <span>Daniel R.</span>
Daniel R.

"Great free screenshot tool with a nice set of editing tools"

What do you like best?

The built-in image editor has all of the annotating features I need when sharing screenshots, so I can do everything in one easy workflow. Setting up shortcuts for different regions and the integrations to different products make the whole process very smooth. Greenshot is one of the first tools I install on all machines when I set them up.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes have difficulty with it mapping the application to the Print Screen key, and there is a bit of lag when using it via remote desktop, but both are pretty easily worked around that I continue to use it at least a few times daily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great free screenshot application. I can think of few other free pieces of software I use as frequently and with fewer problems than Greenshot. It has just enough features to do everything I need, without getting in the way.

I use this at work primarily to share screenshots with other teams, annotating the pictures appropriately before sending them along. I also use it as record keeping when I need a lot of the information on screen at a later time, a quick capture of a small region saves a lot of writing in a notebook.

Greenshot review by <span>Chris S.</span>
Chris S.

"A Great Screenshot Tool"

What do you like best?

I love that this software is free, doesn't take up much of my PC's resources, and there is no advertising required to use it like most free software. I also like that you can configure the screenshots to match your preferences. For example, I set my default to go directly to clipboard, so whenever I want to capture an image I hit print screen and it is saved directly in my clipboard and I can paste into whatever source (email, Word, Powerpoint, etc.) I desire.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have nothing to lose to try this program.

The software helps me create presentations and visualizations for such things as management presenations as well as to create documentation that includes screen shot pictures. I also use the program to create pictures for websites.

Greenshot review by <span>Rebecca M.</span>
Rebecca M.

"Excellent, robust screenshotting tool"

What do you like best?

Greenshot runs quickly and has all of the screenshot editing features that I need to create professional-looking screenshots. It helps that it's free. It does everything that SnagIt does (at least, everything I needed from SnagIt), but without having to pay.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing major that I dislike about this product. I do wish that they made a version for Macs. Some screen recording capabilities would be nice too, but I have other tools I can use for that so it's not necessary.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Download it! See if it lacks any features that you used to use in SnagIt or other screenshot software. I think you'll find it does everything you need.

I needed to be able to create professional-looking screenshots for emails and documents within my organization. I need to be able to save a screenshot to the clipboard or to my hard drive and perform basic editing tasks on the images.

Greenshot review by <span>Edo M.</span>
Edo M.

"GREENSHOT - simple and free application for making screenshots"

What do you like best?

Relatively old school user interface is more than perfect for this application. Different plugins for different clouds are a unique feature for this type of application. It have more than enough options for capturing screenshots of acceptable quality.

What do you dislike?

Old school user interface have also some problems, customization is non existent, not all options in preference works as described. Editing options can be done better that as they are now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If You need an simple and cheap but reliable solution for making screenshots on not so daily base, this is a perfect application for You.

Capturing screenshots is not an everyday activity so we decided for a good and cheap / free solution as this application.

Greenshot review by User in Computer Software

"Greenshot - a free, feature-packed program I can't live without "

What do you like best?

I love Greenshot because it allows me to capture screenshots very easily. With a few clicks, I can exit the screenshot, copy it to an email or document, or save the shot on my computer.

What do you dislike?

There are quite a few buttons that I don't use on a regular basis. It would

be nice to have the ability to customize the toolbar with the buttons I use most often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Greenshot is incredible. It's free, which makes it a no-brainer. It's very easy to use to capture info on the screen quickly and then quickly edit and annotate the shot.

I use Greenshot at least 5 times a day in my professional role at a software company. It's very helpful to capture screenshots to share with clients. I also use it to create help desk articles that are shared internally and to clients worldwide.

Greenshot review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Very easy for quick screenshots"

What do you like best?

I love how you can press print screen and take a screen shot and you can add arrow and put certain things in boxes in order to provide step by step instructions.

What do you dislike?

I do not really dislike much about green shot but sometimes I it doesnt work on certain screen I dont know exactly why I have to right click before press print screen

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly reccomend it. Way easier than using snipping tool on your computer and also allows you many differnt options

I use greenshots when I am solving tickets at work and giving people instructions on how to use certain products.

Greenshot review by <span>Jeremy M.</span>
Jeremy M.

"Simple Screenshot Tool"

What do you like best?

I like the quick shortcut mapping. It makes it much easier to capture whichever portion of the screen you want and quickly save it.

I like the amount of options given when you save a screenshot with GreenShot including saving your photos to cloud hosting, saving, or sending immediately to be printed.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike about this software. It does everything I need it to and more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best tool of its kind, as far as I know. I haven't had to look elsewhere for a screengrabbing software.

Quickly capturing cropped areas of the screen to reduce time editing photos for documentation or instructions. It has made it much easier for me to create quick step-by-step instructions for my co-workers or end-users.

Greenshot review by <span>Terica B.</span>
Terica B.

"Quick and Easy Customizable Screenshots"

What do you like best?

The ability to customize my screenshots to use in training.

What do you dislike?

Absolutely nothing. It's hands down better than all the others.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it. It just works. I have never had to call support. It has never crashed.

The ability to quickly screenshot portions of a page and add my notes and send in an email to help my end user solve a problem. I use it alot for diagramming in my training.

Greenshot review by <span>Lukasz K.</span>
Lukasz K.

"Best Print Screen Solution Out There!"

What do you like best?

I like the best that Greenshot is connected to the "Print Screen" button on the keyboard so there's no need to do anything except just press the button.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there's no easy way to erase an area of the taken screen shot. Another dislike is that there's no option to save the file to a Adobe Photoshop format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend to just give it a shot since once you try it you wont use anything else for taking "Print Screens".

We're resolving problems related to creating easy to use documentation for our admins and user. We realized that without using screenshots in our documentation our admins/users have a more difficult time following the directions in the documentation.

Greenshot review by <span>Ryan B.</span>
Ryan B.

"Brilliant software"

What do you like best?

The simplistic design that generate such an improvement to any PC. The overall ease of use is fantastic and should be tried by anyway

What do you dislike?

Sorry - but I am unable to think of anything at this time.

Its provides our end users with a way of taking, managing and editing a screenshot of their PC, which is used day to day

Greenshot review by <span>Joris M.</span>
Joris M.

"Very complete free screenshot program for everyone"

What do you like best?

The program is free, not only for personal use, but also for commercial use.

You can customise the short-cut keys so you can make easy screen shots of a window, region or full screen.

The software comes with a basic but solid editor.

You can add upload and share services like imgur. If you do this you can upload and share your image with just one click.

What do you dislike?

You can add automatically counters to you screenshots for tutorials for example, but there is no simple work-flow to align these text elements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free and lightweight.

If you need to make screenshots, even not often, you should just try it.

There are much languages supported.

I use this software to make a fast screenshot to show a problem on forums or support.

I made also some CAD tutorials, than greenshot is the program to have to make quick screenshots and add counters.

Greenshot review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Easy to Use Screenshot Tool with a Great Set of Quick Editing Options"

What do you like best?

Greenshot allows me to quickly screenshot my test case results and add annotations or markers before saving. When time is money being able to add my annotations and markings immediately then save and be done is exactly what I need. The one button start for the Greenshot application, I have it mapped to my print screen key, really makes it easy to launch. I have also set it up to automatically open in the editor after making my screen selection saving yet another step of opening an editor and finding the file. I have also found that Greenshot will freeze the screen when you start the application. This has been a great assistance when trying to capture messages that appear quickly or screen changes that are not static (drop-down menu's, page highlighting, etc).

What do you dislike?

Occasionally I find that I want to go back and edit an annotation that I have added. This is not an option with Greenshot. To edit your annotation you have to remove the previous one and start over. this is not the end of the world but it is an annoyance when you are trying to move quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try It!

By using Greenshot I am able to share with the developers exactly what I am seeing. This is better in many situations than just explaining that a strange icon is appearing in this corner of the screen on this page. Greenshot also allows me to quickly make a record of the data for the system I am testing on allowing me to easily reference it in the future when review cases or situations.

Greenshot review by <span>Ron S.</span>
Ron S.

"A good snipping tool."

What do you like best?

I like the being able to select and save what I want to screen shot as opposed to getting the whole screen.

What do you dislike?

It can be a little slow at times, but not a deal breaker.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot. It's free and easy. You have nothing to lose. If you work in IT in a Help Desk type environment, getting to see the error messages more clearly, make support much easier.

Helps me or my users get better shots of errors, thus making my job diagnosing and helping them fix the issue.

Greenshot review by <span>Brian N.</span>
Brian N.

"Great tool to quickly grab information without unnecessary, complicated interface"

What do you like best?

When I need to grab a screenshot I want to be able to do it quickly. I don't need an enormous list of options, tools and a long complicated user interface. This tool allows me to do just that. Get what I want quickly with minimal frills.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike, it just works quickly and easily.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great option for a task that should be simple but isn't always simple. Well worth the try.

Pulling selections out of regulatory reports to put into emails, presentations, powerpoints etc without compromising on the quality of the image.

Greenshot review by <span>Joe E.</span>
Joe E.

"Effective tool for taking and sharing screenshots"

What do you like best?

All aspects of sharing a portion of your screen with somebody else are taken care of. The application tries to make the process as effortless as possible.

I especially enjoy the integration with cloud services such as Dropbox and websites like imgur. After linking my imgur account to the application, all I need to do is take the screenshot, choose to upload to imgur then share a direct link to the image with whomever I want.

The product has very customisable settings and you can usually find a way to modify it to your needs such as screenshot delay, filename pattern, etc.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Google Drive was also included in their list of cloud services as I use that extensively compared to its competitors due to Google Apps integration in my college's email services.

The software has issues with certain OpenGL applications like some games and this has caused me to inadvertently share a screenshot of my desktop when I wanted to share an image from an application running in fullscreen.

Unfortunately Greenshot is Windows exclusive..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Apart from using the application to take screenshots, you should also make use of its image-sharing services integration.

Greenshot review by <span>Paul W.</span>
Paul W.

"Greenshot wins!"

What do you like best?

Greenshot is by far the easiest screen shot utility available. It offers great features, like obfuscate, draw boxes/arrows, and export directly to e-mail.

The built in editing tool is simple enough for a novice to use, but provides extremely useful tools to get the job done.

It makes documentation a breeze!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of one thing that I would change. The only item that could be improved on, is the ability to synchronize settings across multiple computers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommend picking this utility up. Uses very little resources, and provides a great base for creating documentation.

I'm required to document just ab out every task. When those tasks are customer facing, I'm able to provide clear, concise documentation that is easy to follow, and quickly e-mail that information.

Greenshot review by <span>Avery S.</span>
Avery S.

"The screenshotter with the features you didn't know you were missing."

What do you like best?

I like the many ways that you can edit the screenshot after taking it. The blurring and highlighting are especially useful when you deal with data that should be kept secure.

What do you dislike?

It's not clear what the new features are when it pushes an update. It has all the features I think I need (and some I don't), so getting a whole toaster popup for a new version is obtrusive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try! It's free and it had all the features of the software I was using before.

Greenshot makes it easy to capture data and modify the image immediately. It saves a lot of time when you need to obscure certain data for privacy or security reasons.

Greenshot review by <span>Matthew F.</span>
Matthew F.

"One of the best screen capturing tools available"

What do you like best?

This product is so simple it's insane. Alongside being able to quickly capture what you want, it provides a simple image editor and allows to add objects on top of your screenshot, very useful for tutorial making.

What do you dislike?

The simplicity while nice is also it's downfall. It could be a little more robust but it meets my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely check it out, this product is dependent on your needs, but if you need a simple screen grabbing tool, you should grab this!

I use this to make presentations and clip images from various places.

Greenshot review by <span>Denny C.</span>
Denny C.

"It's better than free. It's free and great!"

What do you like best?

A full-featured screenshot tool that's always there and always free.

What do you dislike?

It comes with a built-in image editor/annotator, but the editor feels rather 1998, with generic-looking arrows and default settings for colors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When capturing a region, use the arrow keys for fine selection.

Greenshot gives me a simple way to capture sections of the screen, with minute control. As a software engineer I use it on a daily basis, for taking screenshots for demos, when communicate with my colleagues via Slack or email, or for including in documentation.

Greenshot review by <span>Shirish C.</span>
Shirish C.

"a very handy and powerful tool for your screen grab requirements"

What do you like best?

very quick, powerful and very much useful tool.

the best of it the "capture last region" which will give you ability to capture your missed screens.

the editor is also good enough to highlight and ready to use screen grabs for presentations, documents.

What do you dislike?

the magnifier is little bit annoying and should have ability to hide it. rest all it is a very good tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the best tool available in the market and i guess very widely used.

you should think twice before considering any other tool.

I have seen most of my colleagues using this. the best use case is when I prepare documentation, help content or WIKI, it is the best tool I can have to capture screen grabs and add them to the target. it may be a presentation, word or any other document.

Greenshot review by <span>Will G.</span>
Will G.

"My favorite screen capture program!"

What do you like best?

I like that it offers a few simple features that keeps my workflow fast. The fact that you can choose a default location or other location to save the image is nice. Also, being able to capture an individual window is great!

What do you dislike?

Maybe there could be some support for advanced features such as markup before saving out the file? There's really not much to complain about with this product. Maybe it would be great to be able to capture an off-screen region. An example of this would be to capture all the contents on a given webpage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a very complex screenshot program that offers lots of options, this may not be the one, but again, I wouldn't normally expect a screenshot program to have more functionality that Greenshot does.

Greenshot review by <span>Pierre B.</span>
Pierre B.

"Awsome for screenshot"

What do you like best?

You have different way to do your screen shot, by region, by screen ( for multi displays ), ...

After the screen, you just have to select what you want to do with ( save, email, clipboard, editor, social media, ... )

And something simple but really good, it's free and it's possible to use it as a portable version for your usb stick.

What do you dislike?

It should be interesting to be able to record movies with this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple, light, and so efficient.

I use it to share some parts of my screen to explain something easier.

Greenshot review by <span>Cassie H.</span>
Cassie H.

"Great, Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

It's a simple click of print screen and you have your screen shot

What do you dislike?

I cannot find a way to exit if I accidentally activate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Greenshot is an excellent tool. It gets the job done and it is fast. You can have multiple screenshots on one word doc, or individual docs.

I'm able to capture images to quickly show clients what they are looking for.

Greenshot review by User

"The best screenshot program I know."

What do you like best?

Greenshot is totally configurable to your individual needs. It's perfect!

E.g. I set it up so that the default is capturing an area of the screen, which is then put in the clipboard as well as saved as a PNG in a certain folder, using the program/website and date/time as the filename.

The magnifying glass allows for pixel perfect area grabbing.

What do you dislike?

Haven't found anything yet. So it's not easy to come up with the necessary number of characters... :-)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a very convenient screenshot tool, look no further!

Capturing Screenshots for documentation purposes.

Adding the screenshot to the clipboard allows for immediate, saving for later use.

Greenshot review by <span>Stephen T.</span>
Stephen T.

"Excellent Product - easy to use"

What do you like best?

The software is free and can be easily integrated to hit the print screen button to launch. It will give you a cross-hair to select the portion of the screen you want to capture. The image editor is very easy to use to add call-outs, crop, or other images.

What do you dislike?

There were some issues that I had with getting the correct file output settings. For a while I was unable to copy and paste images into Skype, however I was able to resolve after some configuration changes.

Being able to clearly explain problems/solutions. The software was free, so no realization has been done.

Greenshot review by <span>Colleen C.</span>
Colleen C.

"Great screenshot tool"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to edit the screenshots before saving

What do you dislike?

There are no real drawbacks to using this

We use screenshots every day to document our tech support work, and this allows for better communication of what was researched/discovered.

Greenshot review by User in Computer Software

"Greenshot has great features and is a great program"

What do you like best?

The ability to capture a region or window, open in image editor, and also the editing tools that are included. Super easy to use tool, and very user friendly. There is alos an option to send your capture directly to printer or other program and not have to use copy/paste.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I really like this program and the functions it has to offer. Super easy to use, price is great, and install is super easy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it, and you will love it

Ability to report problems and make education information using screenshots and bringing attention to screenshots.

Greenshot review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Great for Capturing Screens"

What do you like best?

The best feature is being able to take and copy screenshots to your clipboard with the availability to edit them.

What do you dislike?

It's free on Windows machines but not macOS, but it is a very low fee, $2.

Well when I have no option to print screen or need to make notes on an image, you can do so with this tool

Greenshot review by <span>Ilanit F.</span>
Ilanit F.

"nice and free tool for screen capture and editing"

What do you like best?

mostly that it's free unlike other tools, that you can configure the keyboard shortcut for activating it.

What do you dislike?

the performance is not great, also the editing options are very limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it if you need a free image capturing tool!

I need to capture parts of my screen all the time, this is an easy way to do that.

Greenshot review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"The Best Screenshot I have used."

What do you like best?

i like the greenshot the best because of when trying to capture an area, you can see a zoomed cross hair for selection that works out well. also it has a built in editor to edit your selection. i like setting custom hot keys to capture regions like the hidden icons area in windows. since it closes when you click off it. if you use hot keys it can still screen cap that area. see attached pic.

What do you dislike?

would like to be able to capture a scrolling window

Recommendations to others considering the product

for what this product does you really cant beat the price!

screen captures

Greenshot review by G2 Crowd User in Mining & Metals
G2 Crowd User in Mining & Metals

"The best application available for screenshotting"

What do you like best?

This application is the best for creating screenshots and adding elements to screenshots such as highlighting, text, shapes, you can even move the mouse pointer around.

What do you dislike?

I have nothing bad to say about this application, it does whats expected and more. Its also open source so you can't complain about the price either.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, it will change your life

Often you need to add screenshots with some elements, shapes, highlighting, its very difficult to do this in Microsoft Office applications and this application provides this ability.

Greenshot review by <span>Kenneth P.</span>
Kenneth P.

"Awesome"

What do you like best?

I love the usability and the features that greenshot has. This is an amazing app that is very robust.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything that I do not dislike from this application. This has everything that anyone could need for screenshots and creating documentation.

I use this application to help send walkthroughs to customers and to create in house documentation.

Greenshot review by G2 Crowd User in Hospital & Health Care
G2 Crowd User in Hospital & Health Care

"Excellent screenshot markup tool"

What do you like best?

This is such an easy-to-use tool to mark up screenshots (or, really, any image file). There are tons of options to add arrows, lines, boxes, text, colors, and even highlight or obfuscate (blur or pixelate) portions of an image.

What do you dislike?

Not much. The developer is responsive to feedback and suggestions, and the UI is easy to use and has all of the features that I'd want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is hands down the best tool of its kind for taking and marking up screenshots or images. There are virtually no downsides, and it'll serve you very well for many years of use.

We now have the ability to take screenshots and share them quickly with colleagues or customers, and to blur out sensitive information or highlight important parts quickly and easily.

Greenshot review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"I use weekly at my office."

What do you like best?

Ease of use when capture images an ddocuments on the monitor. The setting up of key combinations makes things faster too.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to simplify the program with easier features.

Screen capturing is needed at certain times, and Greenshot makes it faster to do so.

Greenshot review by <span>Sean M.</span>
Sean M.

"Helpful and easy to use!"

What do you like best?

It's simple, using the same function as the built-in screenshot, but allows for more versatility to move through applications. The interface magnifies the cursor area so grabbing the perfect screenshot is easy to do.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike! The product does everything we expect.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Greenshot is great! It takes the simple process of screen capture and enhances it with more options to save/share the screen shot.

Simple tutorial based benefits. Allowing for easy guided instructions to be sent through our intranet.

"Easy Easy Easy!"

What do you like best?

I love being able to crop it as I want immediately as well as opening it with whatever program I want.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a little slow to load, although that could be my computer memory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! So simple- you'll love it!

I find it easier as an IT support personnel to share screenshots of how to access or do something in our student database. With that being said, there is very sensitive information in regards to students that I need to blur out and Greenshot lets me do that so easily.

Greenshot review by User in Computer Software

"Greenshot is the best screencap product I've used, and it's free!"

What do you like best?

I love Greenshot. It's the easiest screenshot product I've ever used, and it has all the funtionality I need, but it's free!

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike it that it can be a bit difficult to capture a scrolling screen. However, I've found this to be the case with every screen grab product I have tried, so Greenshot is not alone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend Greenshot to anybody who needs a basic, robust scrap cap product for free.

We use Greenshot to capture screen shots for technical documentation.

Greenshot review by G2 Crowd User in Textiles
G2 Crowd User in Textiles

"Greenshot.... Screenshot shareware"

What do you like best?

I like that it's free! But, I also use it pretty frequently, to save images, which it allows to be saved in a number of formats.

What do you dislike?

So far, nothing. It does what I need it to do.

I use it in place of Acrobat, which I no longer have the full version of on my computer at work.

Since I'm not in Graphics or Design, it wasn't worth purchasing it.

Greenshot review by <span>Steve V.</span>
Steve V.

"Easy to go screenshots!"

What do you like best?

Fast and easy - also like the way you can export to imgur.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the fact that you cannot export by default to specified source

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its free - why not try it!

Ability to share linked screenshots easy for the team.

Greenshot review by Administrator

"Excellent Product"

What do you like best?

This product is extremely easy to use and has all of the necessary functions to make it a perfect addition to the toolbox!

What do you dislike?

I can not say that there is anything I dislike about this product! It is wonderful!

Since implementing, I have been able to record instances for later retrieval. Something that would have been reformatted to print can now be printed exactly as it is viewed on the screen!

Greenshot review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"I LOVE this application"

What do you like best?

This has made my life so much easier ever since I transitioned to a corporate workplace. It makes it a breeze to document, write work instructions or show how-to's.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, I can't think of anything. It would be nice if they had some decorative border snipping like some of the other similar apps have

Recommendations to others considering the product

easy to download and easy to use

1) documenting

2)how to's

3) work instructions

"Very easy to use"

What do you like best?

There is no setup required - it works great out of the box - but can be configured in a number of ways if needed.

What do you dislike?

When you initially set your user preferences, sometimes they don't 'stick' the first time after a restart and must be set again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It works great and is very simple. Use it!

Quickly can take screenshots of specific areas of our software that my customers have questions about rather than taking a fullscreen screen shot and cropping it down manually.

Greenshot review by <span>Marie Debbie K.</span>
Marie Debbie K.

"Easy to install and easy to use!"

What do you like best?

How easy it was to set up and that it always works without a glitch.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see the selected "print screen" button to also save without showing an extra screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very easy to use and install! Try it you will be surprised about the different options you have for the screen shots.

I can help my friends and customers when I am trying to show on the screen. I can also use quick screen shots and send to my phone so I can remember address, phone, etc.

Greenshot review by G2 Crowd User in Media Production
G2 Crowd User in Media Production

"Greenshot review"

What do you like best?

So easy to use! It's the best screen shot taker for a PC

What do you dislike?

There's a few too many steps - would be nice if there was a one-button option that saves to desktop

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make it an icon in your toolbar for fast use

I need to take photos of emails for price verification- greenshot lets me do this very fast.

Greenshot review by G2 Crowd User in Information Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Services

"simple to use but not a lot of editing options"

What do you like best?

I like that I can choose the exact area of the screen to copy

What do you dislike?

the editing features are minimal and once I add something like text, it's difficult to get back to it to edit it

Recommendations to others considering the product

I honestly would recommend that they use snagit

use screenshots for training guides or to answer questions from individuals

Greenshot review by G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services
G2 Crowd User in Information Technology and Services

"Awesome product"

What do you like best?

Finally... a simple way to create and save multiple screen shots. Plus, it's free.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything negative about it so far.

I use it for taking quick screen captures while on support calls with customers. It is very helpful to be able to document information without having to ask them to wait.

Greenshot review by User in Internet

"Decent but not SnagIt"

What do you like best?

Freemium version offers almost everything I want

What do you dislike?

Not as feature rich as Snagit -- Lacks mult-mode capture, advanced cropping and ability to configure hotkeys. Spend more time clicking that preferred. Needs an editor/studio like SnagIt (IMO).

Image capture, slight manipulation and paste/incorporation into my every day artifacts.

Greenshot review by <span>Massimo R.</span>
Massimo R.

"Little precious thing"

What do you like best?

Unobtrusive, fast, lightweight

The sheer amount of options regarding what to do with the capture area (Word, Outlook, edit, save, ...) is very handy.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the behaviour of the editor is not completely intuitive, but it's a matter of habit

Use it daily for customer support and for preparing documentation.

Greenshot review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Easy screen shot export and edits"

What do you like best?

Easily take screen snaps and crops for editing and saving/exporting

What do you dislike?

Feels kind of clunky at times editing compared to other softwares

Very quickly crop screen captures and markup/edit them to help communication

Greenshot review by User in Information Technology and Services

"It does everything I want it to do."

What do you like best?

It's really easy to take accurate screenshots. I like being able to take screenshots of specific regions.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing to dislike about it. It takes wonderful screenshots.

High quality screenshots without extra stuff.

Greenshot review by <span>Rusty P.</span>
Rusty P.

"Awesome replacement snipping tool"

What do you like best?

This software is installed on any version of Windows and allows you to replace the print screen button. It allows current window copying, section copying and full screen capturing. Once you have captured the content, it brings up a rather robust program for manipulating the data.

What do you dislike?

Once the application pops up, Control+C doesn't copy the content, you have to press the copy button. The logo is also a bit amateurish.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You have to try it to understand why it's better than the native Snipping tool.

Learning about Greenshot?

* We monitor all Greenshot reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.