GreenSock Animation Platform

Think of GSAP as the Swiss Army Knife of animation...but better. It animates anything JavaScript can touch (CSS properties, canvas library objects, SVG, generic objects, whatever) and it solves lots of browser inconsistencies.

Work for GreenSock Animation Platform?
Keyshot logo  animation  2x

Learning about GreenSock?

GreenSock Animation Platform Reviews

Ask GreenSock a Question
Showing 12 GreenSock reviews
GreenSock review by <span>Jerry O.</span>
Jerry O.

SVG drag and drop /Angular animations

What do you like best?

GSAP offers the easiest methods to animate/manipulate SVG elements. Used in conjunction with SVG libraries such as Raphael and Snapz, you will find yourself using GSAP instead of the built in animation tools.

As well with angular, GSAP works nicely with angular's ngAnimate to do sophisticated timeline work that is difficult to accomplish with CSS.

What do you dislike?

Only with angular, like any third party library, you have to figure out a good entry point to integrate with angular. But the easiest method is to keep GSAP as a global in the build process.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go through the tutorials to get started quickly. Stick with it. It may look like JQuery at first, but it isn't. Once you finish some basic tutorials, you will find it's very scalable and easy to use.

We are building drag and drop illustrations ( proprietary work, so can't explain in detail ). GSAP yields much smaller development time.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about GreenSock Animation Platform
GreenSock review by <span>CJ G.</span>
CJ G.

Industry Standard for Animation on the Web

What do you like best?

I've relied heavily on GSAP for rich animation on the web including use in client projects for big budget projects as well as small banner ads, to great success. It is the industry standard for animation on the web giving you great control while keeping performance a priority. If you are doing any kind of animation the web you should definitely consider leveraging the power of greensock.

What do you dislike?

I have no dislikes. In my experience people are only limited by their lack of understanding all the features and capabilities it provides.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best toolkit for javascript animation.

Performant web based animations across devices, including low power devices. These have included rich immersive web experiences as well as small file size sensitive banner ads. I have never been disappointed by it. It allows the highest fidelity and control of scripted animations on the web.

What Animation solution do you use?

GreenSock review by <span>Aziz K.</span>
Aziz K.

Performance with ease

What do you like best?

1. Same functions definitions as its Flash counterpart which helped me in transitioning from Flash to JS

2. Easily animate your storyboard. You can queue animations, stagger animating multiple animations etc.

3. No Dependencies: Many other libraries have a dependency on jQuery etc.

4. Small Size: 7kb

5. Cross Browser Support along with SVG animations.

What do you dislike?

Its not open source. But it does not matter as long as its a working performant library.

Having a successful business model helps development and we can be sure that this product with have continued support for free users as well.

I started using Greensock with Flash back in 2011. Animations were optimized in Flash and there were very little cross browser or cross version issues. When the entire industry shifted to JS and CSS based transitions there were very few libraries who gave same performance with little overhead. Many of the JS libraries were not as performant as CSS animations. But its very difficult to animate dynamically using only CSS. Greensock solved by giving performant animations using JS.

Plus keeping the same function definitions helped me shift from Flash to JS quite easily.

You can animate anything. Check out http://termvader.github.io/3d-boxes-effect-three.js/

In this I have animated 3D Three.js Objects

GreenSock review by <span>Carlin S.</span>
Carlin S.

Familiar and useful

What do you like best?

I like that GreenSock uses an abstracted timeline for animation; coming from the Flash world previously it makes the transition a lot easier. In the documentation, I'm able to quickly find practical examples of what I'm trying to do to help me better use GreenSock. There's tons of support online and a good community around GreenSock. I think that having that community there is a crucial aspect of whether or not I decide to use a product or service online.

What do you dislike?

I think the actual GreenSock website leaves a lot to be desired design and aesthetics-wise. It doesn't really reflect the product IMO. Most of the animations that are present on the homepage and internal pages are from the "cheesy" era of web design, where heavy-Flash sites were the norm. I think using some better examples in those areas would improve things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

GreenSock will help you write clean, efficient animation.

We often have complex animations that we need to build from the motion team. There's no question that GreenSock helps us do those animations in a quick and efficient manner. We're able to write code without having to worry very much about throwing it away later if something changes, since we can quickly write new animations. Our business partners will often look at the dev team members as the people who "hold back the fanciness" of the design or animation. With more tools like GreenSock at our disposal, that problem becomes a thing of the past, and we're no longer holding back any of the more complex aspects of the design.

GreenSock review by User in Design
User in Design

Moderate User - 3-4 Projects per year

What do you like best?

The performance is absolutely stellar, and there's nothing faster for animation 10/10 here. The extensibility is fantastic and the plugin library is robust, to say the least. I started with the flash-based versions of the animation platforms when I was in design school and made the jump to javascript in my professional settings. The standardization and flexibility are great when working with distributed teams, and anytime I have a large-scale animation project with multiple partners, I'll choose GSAP over rolling my own JS.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes have issues navigating the documentation. This isn't so much the writing as it is the performance of the actual documentation website— I occasionally have experienced timeout errors or glitches.

Even as I write this review, greensock.com is giving me pretty sluggish load times, so I would greatly appreciate the interactive demos and examples split apart from the actual documentation.

Sometimes stacking the products I.E. gsap with jquery with scroll plugins etc. I get a bit confused, and the proper hooks can get a bit murky, I think this could be solved with slightly more extensive documentation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're doing a site full of custom animation, it's the best out there. It trumps anything built on Jquery, Moo, etc. But if you only need to animate a handful of items, save the bloat and stick with css3 and custom JS calls when necessary.

The morf SVG plugin is the absolute best thing I've seen for vector animation on the web, but I haven't purchased it because the relationship of that project's budget to the recurring annual fee didn't make sense for the site I wanted to use it with.

Above all, I'm saving development hours for animation on the web. I've gotten great, cross-platform animation functionality for my clients' websites out of the box, with very little learning curve.

GreenSock review by <span>Sunil W.</span>
Sunil W.

Incomparable to other products. Best tool in the box.

What do you like best?

GreenSock is easy to pick up and run with.

You can download it and start running tests straight away. You don't have to sign any contracts, or navigate complex licensing agreements.

The fact that I can use GreenSock for free is really helpful.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I really dislike is having to relearn the basics every time I return to a project that requires animation. I only do animation very occasionally. So every time I have to do animation, I have to re-orient myself within the framework and the documentation.

Fortunately the documentation is relatively clear. Although some improvements can be made.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At the very least, any developer who is considering a JS animation library should experiment with GreenSock. The ease of use, clear documentation and commmunity support make GreenSock a benchmark product.

I use GS when I have to please clients with simple UI effects. Often the business results are negligable and not even measured.

However, in the end the client is pleased with the results.

This doesn't neccessarily add to the commercial value of the end product. But it doesn't reduce the value of the product either, and the client ends up happy.

Learning about GreenSock Animation Platform?

* We monitor all GreenSock Animation Platform reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.