Grunt

Grunt is a Javascript task runner.

Work for Grunt?

Learning about Grunt?

Compare Grunt to Similar Solutions

Grunt Reviews

Showing 11 Grunt reviews
Grunt review by Louisa N.
Louisa N.

"Saves time developing"

What do you like best?

I've used Grunt in helping us maintain consistency between developers in formatting files, to help preload documents for websites, to help performance in files through minification, etc. There are so many plugins available to use for so many different cases it's amazing!

What do you dislike?

There is quite a learning curve in using Grunt for the first time. Also, because of differences in machinery, sometimes a configuration on one person's machine will not run on another's. It's very odd and you'll go through headaches at times. But the time it does save is worth any effort.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the internet to help you learn and extend your use and knowledge of Grunt. No need for classes or anything, just prepare to spend a lot of time initially in setup your first time around.

We've realized an increase in productivity in using Grunt to help unify many tasks into one.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Grunt
Grunt review by <span ue="safe-name" data-safe-name-id="cb75c915-5765-4966-83f2-afbc70e6d86b">Lina María S.</span>
Lina María S.
" itemprop="name" />

"Software development projects automation and validation with grunt"

What do you like best?

When I lead a developers team in a company dedicated to create mobile and web apps, we were looking for ways to optimize the work done by them, not only in order to decrease the time dedicated to trivial tasks but to improve the performance of their work. While doing some research a couple of years ago we found out you can use Grunt to do all that. Since most of our web developers use JavaScript and Node, they were in capacity or writing tasks with grunt to achieve this automation capacity, so right now they optimize scripts and stylesheets and compile assets with it.

What do you dislike?

If you are not a developer you can't use this, so this is only for software developers with medium or strong knowledge of JavaScript / Node JS.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have into account that this requires you to have strong development skills in JavaScript / Node JS.

It's a major concern to reduce the size of all the assets in a web project, so our developers use grunt to reduce the size of files like JavaScript and CSS.

We also found out we could use grunt to reduce the time spent on trivial tasks that could be automated like the reduction of those files, plus compiling some others.

What Other Development solution do you use?

Grunt review by John F.
John F.

"Grunt is quick and easy to use for a lot of different uses."

What do you like best?

I really love how easy grunt is to install. Like most npm packages, it is literally a single line installation and works right away without needing much configuration. Setting up a gruntfile is very easy using the instructions on their site (provided you have an understanding of JSON file format). The Grunt site is also (mostly) a pleasure to use, it is very easy to access the wide variety of plugins, and very simple to find good documentation on getting started; making it really easy to get tasks running right away.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes a lot of the tasks can feel very repetitive and a lot of copy and pasting of code. Sometimes the plugins are very similar in function and it would be nice if some could be consolidated into larger plugins. When I first began using Grunt I remember feeling a little confused and overwhelmed by the plugins (especially considering Grunt is the first task runner I used). So I feel like more user-friendly documentation on each plugin and it's most common uses would be helpful. Other than that I'm happy with grunt, and the rest of the documentation and site are great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When I started using Grunt, I got the impression of people telling me to use it on every project I made. However, my suggestion now after using it is to not use it unless absolutely necessary.

The main reason I use Grunt for is for minimizing my code. Grunt is quick and easy to use and very customizable which is nice.

Grunt review by Kentleigh E.
Kentleigh E.

"Effective, Simple, and Essential Automated Task Runner"

What do you like best?

Grunt's capabilities are phenomenal.

I have found the ability to define multiple tasks and combine various packages together has made my life easier when working with LESS, and most importantly when working with Javascript, JSX, and Babel.

I've found Grunt makes managing resources for web apps very simple, and often processes that get very tedious can be broken down so simply; and Grunt can take over sorting through everything, while I focus on developing and writing code.

What do you dislike?

I find that some packages can be tricky with each other; sometimes causing issues because of dependency differences.

One issue I find most irritating is when I want Grunt to work in the background, and I don't want to have to check the status of the task if there's any issues.

It can be difficult if there's any syntax errors, and the package throwing the error is not detailed enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a simple task runner, and you need something that's a little more configurable than Gulp; then Grunt is for you.

It has many packages, and can be used for a massive variety of simple tasks; for example, it can simplify a web app greatly, by bringing in file resources from all over the place, and placing them into one or two files (or more if necessary).

When building web apps, I need to be able to compile LESS, across multiple directories, and combine Javascript of various versions, into separate compiled files.

For example, one file is written in React with JSX, another is just Javascript.

I do not want these files combined together.

Luckily, Grunt allowed me to separate two tasks to collate the files using two different compilers, one converting the JSX, the other just minimizing the Javascript.

Grunt has made it extremely simple to keep all CSS and Javascript in one place.

I plan on using it to compile SVG spritesheets in the future, and I know it will be of great use.

Grunt review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"My first task runner and love it"

What do you like best?

I use to use windows apps to simply compile Sass and Less, that was years ago. Now that i'm using Grunt I only wish I used it sooner. The number of packages available is great, anytime I need some task performed while developing locally I check if Grunt can do it and more often than not it can. One example is changing constants in some php files each time we run a build.

What do you dislike?

If a project has a lot of Sass files and JS to lint, compile and run through any other tasks takes more time than with gulp. It's my only dislike but not one that would force me to switch.

Building locally and for different environments from dev, staging and production be able to configure files individually for each environment and all while watching files for changes and running tasks automatically is a huge time saver.

Grunt review by Justin C.
Justin C.

"An awesome build tool"

What do you like best?

I like grunt because it more or less revolutionized the idea of a front end build tool

What do you dislike?

I feel like nowadays its better to just run your own node scripts rather than pulling in grunt

Recommendations to others considering the product

I feel like if you haven't used a build tool like Grunt or Gulp then its imperative of you to at least give it a shot and see if it solves your front end performance needs

Grunt changed my life when it came out, it gave me the ability to concat stylesheets/ JS files, and all sorts of other functionality with a thriving plugin eco system

Grunt review by Luiz Gonzaga d.
Luiz Gonzaga d.

"Simple and effective task runner"

What do you like best?

I like its simplicity and how it gets the job done. It also has a good community around it with a nice set of plugins and blog posts about pretty much everything you'll need

What do you dislike?

The config file can get really big for anything more than ordinary

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gulp is pretty decent to, with a probably more concise config file and faster build times (not always and not always signifcant). NPM script is also a great bet

We are automating workflows, build steps, testing and also some CI/CD

Grunt review by Valentina R.
Valentina R.

"A very interesting task runner"

What do you like best?

- The simplicity of the configuration file

- The availability of a huge number of plugins to accomplish a great number of tasks

- The capability to stay watching (with a special task) and do a task when a file change (for example recompile when sass file changes)

- The possibility to run different configurations based on the environment (for example development or production)

What do you dislike?

I would appreciate a simple graphical user interface to configure tasks and run jobs.

The app allows easy handling of repeated tasks.

Grunt review by Johan W.
Johan W.

"Almost the perfect automation system."

What do you like best?

The flexibility and the ease of use after setup.

What do you dislike?

The time it take to setup and that the many files in the node_modules folder take ages if you want to sync the project with a backup service.

Compiling sass-files, image, css and js compression, Javascript validation, browser preview, copy to distribution folder.

Grunt review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Task automation for mobile and web projects with grunt"

What do you like best?

This javascript task runner has been available for several years and during this time the amount of documentation, support and plugins you can find for it is high.

It can be used to run tasks for almost every kind of projects disregarding the technology used.

You will be able to find plugins to do almost anything you might image or need in a web project, minifying scripts and stylesheets, validating files in certain language (linters), and you can even write your own custom tasks.

What do you dislike?

Compared to other javascript task runners, the abstract while writing the code is a major issue. You will have to write a lot of code sometimes to achieve certain functionality.

All the tasks that require human intervention in a project like compiling stylesheets, minifying scripts, validating code files, even running tests, can be automated with grunt. In most of my mobile and web projects I have automated the execution of such tasks.

Grunt review by Bertrand C.
Bertrand C.

"The task runner"

What do you like best?

A very simple and powerful task runner to automate your web development tasks.

It has a plugin system with a large choice, the configuration is done via a very simple configuration API.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes slow to start, Grunt miss a better to chain/pipe tasks together.

Grunt let's run our tests, our compilation, bundling and optimizations. It prevent us for having different system, scripts and unify the build workflow.

Learning about Grunt?

* We monitor all Grunt reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Grunt to Similar Solutions