Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

(234 reviews)

Payroll, benefits, and HR made refreshingly easy.

Try Gusto free for one month

Work for Gusto Payroll?

Learning about Gusto Payroll?

Gusto Payroll Reviews

Ask Gusto Payroll a Question
Showing 237 Gusto Payroll reviews
Gusto Payroll review by Michael  M.
Michael M.

"Saves me WAY more in Fines than I pay them"

What do you like best?

Gusto makes sure that all is well with Uncle Sam. When I get busy 'Tedious admin busywork' gets pushed onto the back burner. Left to my own devices I'd be getting fines and penalties every quarter for failure to file. Also, they are the best at customer service, although the app is so stable that I've really not called them in months.

What do you dislike?

Well the biggest drawback is that it's not free. It's not bay any stretch expensive, and it's worth every penny I pay them. But it's not free. It would be better if it was free. I'm still happy to pay for it, because it provides a valuable service. but it's not free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

go for it they are very customer friendly, and are really pleasant to work with, Accurate and timely.

They're doing a great job of keeping me out of jail for Tax Fraud. Not that I'm trying to commit tax fraud, but the feds (and the staties) take a dime view of not reporting income properly.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Gusto Payroll
Gusto Payroll review by Akshita N.
Akshita N.

"Classic App With Super Customer care service."

What do you like best?

The best part of this app is the Customer Support,

Interface - The sweet little pig which will make your Mood light while the page loads

Chat Option - They are all time avalibale for help and respond ver quickly

Payroll Processing time is less and easy to Calculate all the reports

They are very good when it comes to documentation part.

There report section is easy to use.

Easy to take full summary of payroll along with Paystubs.

They have very nice staff. I just love using GUSTO.

i am the sole proprietor and the use of GUSTO is so east , I must say They are the best Payroll Provider.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as such.

But they charge for all the active employees. If you skip the payroll then also you have to pay $6 for each candidate. I think they should charge for the candidates who will receive the payment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can opt for core plan, If you only want to run payroll from Gusto.

There are some other plans also than you can go for, If you want GUSTO to provide you benefits and Insurance. Also till now I found that GUSTO has the best Customer Service.

We have removed our CPA and it helped us alot. Cost cutting is the best benefits we have realized.

It helped us to keep all our data at one place. Whether it is account number or state ID or documents.

What Payroll solution do you use?

Gusto Payroll review by Julie F.
Julie F.

"Perfection for Payroll"

What do you like best?

I am a sole proprietor and payroll can be overwhelming and daunting. Gusto has taken all the guesswork out of the process. Every step of the way they take care of federal and state taxes. I was able to obtain unemployment insurance through them and they linked me so I could obtain workman's comp. They made a process that I could have easily messed up.

Their customer service is also magnificent. I only have a few employees and with some companies, you get the sense they are not as attuned to the little guy.

What do you dislike?

Thus far in the process, I have run into no major issues with this product. I wanted to delete a message from the home page and couldn't seem to do it so if that happened a lot it could be annoying. However, this is a product I would recommend to almost anyone.

This is helping with all my HR needs and payroll. I keep learning additional little bonus applications in Gusto from other users. It also helps me keep track of PTO for my team. I plan on using it for more benefit management in the future. Using Gusto has taken a lot of worry off my shoulders and has streamlined the hiring, HR and payroll processes. Oh and I don't want to forget their cute information and positive notifications in the payroll emails. My team loves them! :)

Gusto Payroll review by Martha M.
Martha M.

"I'm not afraid of payroll any more"

What do you like best?

Easy to use platform that provides guidance for corrections or upcoming due dates. Excellent customer service both from my dedicated reps and the various teams I've worked with for integration, etc.

What do you dislike?

I'll never enjoy running payroll as it requires me to maintain a schedule for people to get paid on time, but my clients see having payroll done for them as added value, so I appreciate that Gusto makes it as easy as possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the migration team whenever possible, switch ideally at year end but at least at quarter end and not mid-quarter. The lowest tier is still a full-service package and will likely meet the needs of most small businesses.

I didn't offer any payroll services before working with Gusto, so I lost out on clients sometimes that wanted a one-stop solution. The platform is easy to use so my clients (that run their own payroll) feel like I've found a great service for them, and for the clients for whom I run payroll, I feel confident that Gusto has my back in filing the necessary forms and knowing what taxes are applicable. I also love not being the one to collect personal data from employees to enter in the payroll system.

Gusto Payroll review by Emily C.
Emily C.

"Review of Gusto"

What do you like best?

I was surprised at how easy it was to navigate through. I usually have to be walked through a new process, but was able to figure out how to submit payroll all by myself, and very quickly!

What do you dislike?

I do wish that there was an app for what I use this program for. I use it primarily for adding new employees and submitting payroll. It's fine using a web browser, but I always prefer if apps are available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely would recommend Gusto - if only for the payroll alone! It's less expensive for processing payroll and you don't have to rely on someone else to do it for you - it's all in your hands!

We are paying less money to process payroll; there is no longer a third party involved in payroll; and they have made it so simple that we're wondering why we didn't do this long before!

Gusto Payroll review by Robby M.
Robby M.

"Amazing service, guidance, flows through to software, and it's great to know I'm in compliance"

What do you like best?

Payroll is extremely complex and that only increases in the context of HR matters. Gusto does an incredible job of responding quickly, helping me understanding how to stay in compliance, and fully automates the process. It's nice to know that my taxes are handled and my employees are paid so that I can run my business. As an accountant, I use the product for my practice, but I also am able to have full faith for my clients.

What do you dislike?

I honestly have no complaints about Gusto. I've never had a problem, they're supportive and do a great job explaining everything, communicating and reporting timely!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's excellent to use if you want compliance taken care of for you, you're comfortable using a cloud-based application, and use for direct deposit or check printing for employees. They scale, so you can change your level appropriate for your growth and size of your business.

Gusto makes it possible for me to have payroll completely off my plate and in compliance with State and Federal tax authorities. Furthermore, when I don't have an answer, they do! I rely on this kind of guidance to be successful in my practice. Payroll is not something I sought to specialize in, so by working with Gusto, my clients and I have payroll, we have visibility int he accounting application and we have streamlined our process.

Gusto Payroll review by Ingrid K.
Ingrid K.

"We love working with Gusto."

What do you like best?

I like that our employees ENJOY using Gusto. They tell me that Gusto is easy to use and makes keeping track of benefits so simple. As an admin, I like how easy Gusto makes onboarding and how I can take care of everything in one place. I can't wait to grow our company and use more of Gusto's great benefits!

What do you dislike?

I dislike waiting for new features!! That's less of a dislike and more of being impatient. For instance, I had Gusto's commuter benefits approved through our financial grapevine even though they are more expensive than our current solution but I was put on a waitlist for the benefit. I'm happy Gusto isn't taking on more than they can handle - it would ruin their stellar customer service - but I can't wait to move everything into Gusto!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try them - you won't regret it. Your employees will thank you.

Gusto makes it easy to handle our operations for our 11 person team. As the only operations employee, it's important that I am able to keep track of all things payroll/benefits/HR. Gusto keeps me on track :) Gusto made me think more about how to help our employees and what would make their experience better.

Gusto Payroll review by Michelle L.
Michelle L.

"User friendly for paychecks and record keeping"

What do you like best?

I love how user friendly the program is. Gusto is very easy to navigate and you can easily access paystubs, benefits, tax documents, etc. Additionally, anytime an employee needs to update their direct deposit information, they can easily do that through Gusto, which allows our employees to even split deposits between multiple accounts - easiest program I have used to complete that task.

What do you dislike?

Gusto is so easy to use, I honestly do not have any dislikes. I can't even critique their webpage design. It is simple and does everything it needs to do. Nothing more, nothing less. While the program could used enhanced integration, using Gusto specifically to manage payroll has worked for our small company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is simple, straightforward, and easy for our employees to use and navigate.

We use gusto to cut employee paychecks. Once paid, the employees receive their pay stub in their email, which they can easily check to ensure accuracy. The pay stubs are very straightforward and easy to understand. The program also stores all pay stubs and tax documents, so those important documents are always easy to access.

Gusto Payroll review by Marcos T.
Marcos T.

"Don't...Just don't!"

What do you like best?

Cute UI...if that's what you're in the market for.

What do you dislike?

Almost everything. I'm serious. Stay away from Gusto. Here's some of my favorites:

- You and your employees see different PTO balances because the system tracks them differently

- You can only have one PTO policy per employee. Moving employees between policies will delete the previous balances. If you do this mass move the system doesn't warn you until it's all gone

- You can't mass update anything. Need to make the same change to all employees? Get ready to click away for days! The slowness of the system also makes this a great experience if you love wasting hours.

- Customer service is useless and can take a long time to get someone on the phone. Email support takes 24 - 48 hours to respond even the smallest question.

Did I mention you should stay away from Gusto? Remember you get what you pay for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

STAY AWAY!!!

Payroll/HR/compliance. Low cost is the only "benefit", but you get what you pay for.

Gusto Payroll review by Daniel Shatzkes CEO  E.
Daniel Shatzkes CEO E.

"Payroll is super simple with Gusto"

What do you like best?

I've been using Gusto for almost three years now to take care of my payroll (I started back when they were still known as ZenPayroll). It absolutely could not be easier to do payroll than the way that they do it. TO be honest I haven't tried any other service but I don't see how it could be more simple. It's hassle free and spot on. If I remember correctly getting set up was fairly painless. The ability to add employees, add commissions or bonuses each payroll cycle and to incorporate benefits (which they continuously add more of) is great. I just love how easy and little time it takes to run payroll with Gusto (did I mention it was easy?).

What do you dislike?

There are two things I wish could be different and neither has anything to do with Gusto's performance. They both have to do with the cost. One thing I don't like is that you have to pay each month for each person you add to your account whether they are salaried employees or independent contractors. Salaried employees - I get it. No qualms with that. You provide a service, I pay for it. Done deal. But with independent contractors, if I use someone and pay them through Gusto, and then end the contract with that provider, I don't want to keep paying a monthly fee to have that person set up in my payroll account. I realize I can remove them but what if I want to hire that person again down the road. I have to do the entire on-boarding process again. I think that we shouldn't have to pay for any independent contractors that aren't getting paid that month.

Secondly, I like that Gusto started offering benefits. But when they did, they increased their pricing. I personally did not have a use for the benefits they were offering yet I still had to pay the new, higher price. It would be great if they could offer tired pricing depending on what services a company is using. Someone using the benefits should pay a little more than someone who isn't making use of the benefits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm sure there are other payroll services out there that have been around far longer and offer far more. It goes without saying that it's worth checking them out and comparing depending on your company's needs. I know that for me and my company, Gusto is great.

Payroll is such a simple task that it is not a worry at all when it comes up. IN 2 minutes it's completely done. And if I ever receive anything in the mail regarding my payroll (either from the state or the IRS) I simply take picture of the letter, email or chat with their customer service and it gets taken care of. SO the benefits - practically no headaches with regards to payroll and major time saved.

Gusto Payroll review by Kevin N.
Kevin N.

"Can't go wrong"

What do you like best?

Been using Gusto for a few years now and they have never once had less than amazing customer service. They put their game face on with every question and every fire. We have a hard time thinking about switching away from Gusto simply because their support is top-notch.

What do you dislike?

Our payroll can be complicated. We have 7 states in which we pay state taxes and it was constantly evolving for a few months. We experienced a major bug with their warning features on one of the states and it caused lots of issues with our payroll. They were amazing about it. Not a breath of frustration the entire time. However, they did promise to remedy every complication that came out of it, most of which they were not able to keep and we ended up needing to pay late fees on some payroll taxes because of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're considering Gusto, do not hesitate when it comes to support. We've had nothing but amazing support. Consider instead their price compared to others and the features they offer compared to your needs.

In our three to four years, we've seen Gusto innovate with their product, but at a very slow pace. They introduced time-tracking but I'd be surprised if any company bigger than 5 employees are using it.

Semi-monthly payroll and benefit administration. They make payroll easy enough that we do not need to worry about payroll day, even when we only have a morning to do it.

Gusto Payroll review by Abby W.
Abby W.

"Awesome, fun, easy to use UI"

What do you like best?

Gusto has a really fun and playful UI and super simple UX that makes all that boring HR stuff really easy to use and fun to check on. I have no idea what it's like to use from the perspective of my HR department, but from the perspective of an employee, it's a joy. I actually want to sign on to look at my paystubs and HR info because there are often new fun facts, cute animations, etc. It's silly and simple, but really delightful experience!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything. I love using this product!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lean into the cute features! The ability to send welcome notes to new employees, happy birthday cards, "on this date in history" facts about your birthday, silly "did you know"s about your paycheck, and more can bring happiness and levity to the HR product- which makes everyone happy!

- Track payroll and paystubs

- Track employees and see a list of everyone in the company

- Employee info and welcoming new employees

- Important documents and forms

Gusto Payroll review by João Filipe C.
João Filipe C.

"Great UI/UX, horrible terrible awful tax compliance. "

What do you like best?

The UI is lovely and the site is easy to navigate. When changes to employees or other business features need to be made, the editing process is very simple and straightforward. Overall the design of the website is aesthetically great.

What do you dislike?

Tax compliance - Gusto has managed to improperly calculate or improperly file our state taxes twice, with errors being made in more than 4 quarters. When we reached out after being served a subpoena by the State of Washington, it took Gusto more than a week and four emails from our CEO to receive any kind of response. Eventually, frustrated with the severe delay (Gusto only needed to mail a check), I personally resolved the issue by sending the check ourselves rather than face additional penalty and interest from Gusto's lack of response.

When a separate issue occurred which the CS representative labeled "high priority", we were informed that response time on high priority issues from the tax compliance department was "about three days". When states are serving subpoenas and expecting penalties and interest to be paid on receipt, three days is an unacceptable response time. When I told the representative this, I was met with an apologetic "The Tax Resolution team is a smaller group so they must handle cases in the order they are usually received". If the team can't respond to critical tickets in a timely manner, shouldn't the team's size be increased?

Overall we have been met with severe delays and a total lack of apparent effort on Gusto's part to resolve our issues. When no issues are present the product is fine, but when issues arise Gusto seems as though they cannot be bothered to give the issue the attention it needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would explore other alternative programs that are available. Gusto is great when things are going well, but if you need their help resolving issues or want a product where taxes are filed correctly and you don't have to wait over a week for a proper response, look elsewhere.

We've been using gusto for Payroll, including state and federal tax compliance. So far the only benefits we have realized are that payroll has been completed in a timely manner and employees have not reported issues with paychecks.

Gusto Payroll review by Reed A.
Reed A.

"Gusto made an error on my dental insurance "

What do you like best?

I'm sharing my negative experience. Read others for the positive experience.

What do you dislike?

The way Gusto works, employees fill out a form on Gusto's web site and elect their benefits (health, dental, etc.). My company offers only one dental insurance option, a PPO. I selected the PPO option during the open enrollment period and Gusto sent me a confirmation email showing that I had selected the PPO.

However, when Gusto submitted the forms to the insurance provider, they mistakenly checked the "HMO" box. I found out when I was at my dentist's office for an appointment and they sent me away because I no longer had insurance they accepted.

First, I logged into Gusto to check my account. Sure enough, I had the PPO. I called back my dentist's office and told them they must have made a mistake. They called the insurer and, once again, insisted that I had been switched to an HMO. I called up Gusto to ask what happened. I explained it to the Gusto customer service rep after waiting on hold for a long period of time. The customer service rep said they would call the insurance company and sort it out. They never did. I never heard back from Gusto.

Eventually, I got hold of someone at the insurance company. They sent me the form that Gusto had submitted. It showed the wrong box checked. I had to submit a former requesting a change back to a PPO. A week has gone by, and still no PPO.

I called Gusto to ask them to help speed the process up. I'm just sitting on hold listening to the music while typing this review. I would not recommend using Gusto for anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use

none

Gusto Payroll review by Erin A.
Erin A.

"Terrific for Solopreneurs & Small Business Owners"

What do you like best?

-Makes payroll as simple as possible. Small business owners don't have to hire a bookkeeper to process the payroll.

-Cost--sometimes half the cost of other payroll processors (I have a blogpost about this on my site). Also love flat fees-- you really know what you're paying for the service without surprise W2 processing fees etc (like other payroll providers).

-Friendly customer service.

-Gusto is easy to get ahold of in business hours (no long wait times, etc).

What do you dislike?

Length of setup - feels like could be even more streamlined. There's a checklist when you start setting up, but I've had it happen working with 2 companies where we entered all the data requested and had marked all our action items, only to have a new action item pop up after logging out. This can feel annoying and a bit overwhelming to a business owner who has already gathered a ton of information to get payroll processing started.

Only true problem is listed above. Probably wouldn't be terrific for a larger company (over 10 employees) because the whole concept is based on streamlining payroll. One feature we love is setting payroll to auto cycle for salaried employees, and auto syncing with QuickBooks Online accounts--saves a lot of time and energy.

"Top-Notch Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Gusto customer service is by far the best for any HRIS I've used. My questions are usually answered same day. Rarely do I have to wait more than 24 hours for an issue to be handled. I especially appreciate the benefits administration pages. I found open enrollment to be extremely easy to administer. Most of all though, the fact that I can call Gusto and speak to someone in benefits or payroll immediately is the biggest draw for me. I also appreciate that Gusto has taken my feedback many time on issues that I have found within their system. It makes a big difference to know a company is listening.

What do you dislike?

Gusto is doing a great job overview, though I do hope they start integrating more software as soon as possible! They still need to fix the "re-hiring" section of their website. I don't think you should be able to click "re-hire" an employee on their website without having to verify title, compensation, address, and w-4. This has created big headaches for my company many times this year alone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great platform for a small to medium size company.

Gusto's payroll is quick and easy. The UI is clear and simple. I don't worry about making mistakes due to poor design.

Gusto Payroll review by Paul D.
Paul D.

"I’d give 11 stars if possible. Really. "

What do you like best?

We use Gusto for payroll & related tax reporting. Gusto is the rare SAS that explicitly states it will take responsibility if it ever makes a mistake. They have not eff’d up in 3+ years. Live, USA-based customer service is always accessible, accurate & responsive, even at tax time. My accountant & bookkeeper also love Gusto. Couldn’t recommend higher. Use it if you need reliable payroll service.

What do you dislike?

This might sound odd, but there’s nothing I dislike about Gusto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please read my ‘What I Like’ response.

I don’t have to think about/track tax payments. That is HUGE. I also like the new employee on-boarding, which automates the hiring process for us.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"Worked well for 2 people but did not scale as we grew"

What do you like best?

I like that Gusto is very simple to setup and makes payroll less scary. At first I felt very confident that payroll was being handled correctly. It handles the tax filings automatically, which has been amazing. I also like that it provides a mechanism to pay contractors.

What do you dislike?

When it was just my business partner and I using Gusto for payroll worked very well. As we started hiring employees that is when Gusto started to show problems. One pay cycle our employees were paid 3 days late, despite receiving an email a week earlier that they would be paid on time. You had one job Gusto!

It was difficult to get in touch with support about this issue. When we finally did get in touch we were told that we had exceeded our credit limit, which caused the payroll to be delayed. This was surprising to us because we did not know that there was a credit limit or that we had exceeded it. Support did confirm that we should have received an email notification about reaching the limit, but did not. Instead we just got an email as usual that said "Your employees will get paid on time, and you won't have to do a thing!" Unfortunately the only help Gusto could provide was to raise the credit limit for the next pay cycle, pending manager approval. The person we talked to was very careful about their wording that our employees were not paid late and the payroll system was operating as normal. I cannot see how holding everyone's money for an extra 3 days without prior notice is expected behavior.

Paying contractors is a very slow process (7 days+).

Some time ago Gusto sent us a notification that they were now offering benefits like insurance. We happened to be in the market at the time for health insurance. When we started the process we could only click a button to be notified when benefits were offered. I don't know if they ever started selling benefits but we went elsewhere for that piece.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your payroll is simple then it will work well. If your payroll gets too complicated then I would look elsewhere. I would also advise deploying Gusto to check that the credit limit covers your payroll.

Gusto manages our payroll.

Gusto Payroll review by Victoria R.
Victoria R.

"Great solution for my business!"

What do you like best?

I like the easy-to-understand user interface and that the paperwork is done for me! I love being able to direct deposit my independent contractors and connect a 401K directly through Guideline.

What do you dislike?

I don't love that I can't set up auto-pay for contractors. This would be a super user-friendly solution to something for me. I also wish the Direct Deposit went a LITTLE faster, but a week is totally reasonable as well. It'd be nice to be able to pay on different pay schedules, but I don't need that right now either.

I'm an LLC filing as an S-Corp, but I use a lot of contractors regularly as a real estate broker (all my agents are independent contractors). This provides a really easy and user-friendly solution to organize and pay everyone.

Gusto Payroll review by Kena G.
Kena G.

"Joke of a system"

What do you like best?

The pig. That is the only good thing. There is nothing about this system I would ever recommend.

What do you dislike?

Everything else. It is terrible. They lump Holiday into PTO - taking those hours from the employee without anyone knowing! Then i have to manually add them back into regular hours - doesn’t show Holiday at all. 4 days for Independent contractors checks. And then the latest - it won’t work on an iPad. I had to literally call-in payroll!! I can’t wait until the end of the year so I can switch. NEVER use GUSTO.

Recommendations to others considering the product

stop investing in being cute and actually do something. The holiday hours are a complete disaster - and you set companies up for major legal issues. The lack of mobile options is equally a joke in this era. I can’t believe this is rolled out for public use and that I am paying for it!

I’ve only had problems. Not one benefit!

Gusto Payroll review by User

"User friendly, well designed with fun features"

What do you like best?

- Getting emails about my direct deposit

- Employee profiles, fun facts, b-days, etc.

- Really easy to access information for tax purposes

- Sending offer letters, onboarding new hires, and everything post-interview related all located in one place. very useful!

What do you dislike?

We don't really use this for tracking things like vacation days and PTO...and I'm not sure if that's available on the platform.

Also I wish there were a more robust place in the platform for perks and maybe have reimbursements related to perks as part of the platform, too. I would definitely spend more time on it, and it would make my life a lot easier...but that would really just be a cherry on top.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricier than quickbooks or hand calculations/manual spreadsheets but worth it if you are starting to scale as a company!! Definitely recommend.

Consolidating paperwork, organizing payroll, managing employee overhead, and simplifying tax season challenges are all addressed by Gusto. It's great! Less scrambling for whether you got paid, or looking for your paperwork, because all that is tracked by Gusto for you.

Gusto Payroll review by Susan L.
Susan L.

"The worst service run from gusto!"

What do you like best?

Nothing! We could not even get the account setup because no humans actually help you. all you get are automated messages saying "more information is needed". Then, when we tried to cancel the account that we did not set up, they told us that since a payroll had already been run, we had to login and cancel ourselves. Information on how to do this was included in the mail. WRONG information. So not possible to cancel. Call for help gets you put on indefinate hold. Then we get notices that we are being invoiced for services.

What do you dislike?

What a terrible excuse for a company. The whole purpose is a service organization, primarily for small to mid sized companies. yet they take way more time than they help you save.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere. there is NO SUPPORT for this product. We ended up going to Surepayroll where actual people respond to your emails.

Payroll.

Gusto Payroll review by Carrie W.
Carrie W.

"Gusto is so easy to use!"

What do you like best?

They have someone always there to chat with you if you have questions, and they're quick to respond overall. They let you know what actions are required on your part but they take care of most of the tax information, for example, so there's not a lot required on our part which is nice so I can focus on other aspects of my job!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a small company of 2-10 employees, I would recommend you get health benefits through Gusto as well as payroll. It's easy to view benefits plans and ask them questions, and rates are reasonable.

They helped us with health benefits and payroll. It's all in one place which is really convenient.

Gusto Payroll review by Patricia D.
Patricia D.

"$45.00 gives me peace of mind each month"

What do you like best?

Gusto has always responded promptly to my questions and it provides an invaluable service to me for a reasonable price. As a sole practitioner I don't have the time or the inclination to deal with payroll taxes and filing the necessary reports.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I have had no issues with Gusto

I don't have to worry about making sure I file the necessary reports, withhold the required taxes and generate the necessary tax forms for tax returns. Gusto does it all and even shares it with my accountant. All of this for $45.00 a month for one employee!

Gusto Payroll review by Adam C.
Adam C.

"Best Payroll service out there."

What do you like best?

The ease of running payroll and hiring staff. They make it painless and actually fun.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. If I had any issue, it would be the cost for the concierge level plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have 100 employees or less, Gusto is at least worth a demo to see if it is a good fit for your business!

It helped streamline my payroll process as it integrates with my scheduling software. It makes HR paperwork a breeze as it is all in one location and employees can login to their own portal for w2's and all paperwork. The communication sent via Gusto is witty and makes payroll more fun. Employees love it.

Gusto Payroll review by Madeline C.
Madeline C.

"Great and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I love that when I was onboarded at my current job, Gusto made everything really easy. There were no extensive packets of HR forms or other legal forms that I had to wait a long period of time to fill out in person. Instead, my employer set me up with a Gusto account and I was able to complete all of those forms on my phone. It was so easy! I also did not have to think twice about whether the information I was inputting was accurate as far as tax information goes because Gusto offers great descriptions and helpful tips of what information should be inputted.

What do you dislike?

I really honestly can not think of anything that I disliked about the Gusto system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are interested in using Gusto, there is no question about whether it will be helpful to you and your business or not! It takes away a ton of unnecessary paperwork, saves money on printing, makes the process straightforward, and allows the person that is being hired to be able to complete the forms when they are not even in the office in person. This leads to valuable work time being saved, and says a lot about the productivity increase that comes with using this amazing software. Gusto is clearly the future of workplace administration, and replaces a lot of jobs that may not be deemed as unnecessary. The expense for Gusto is definitely worth the convenience and Long term savings that come with using Gusto.

The business problem that my employer is solving with Gusto is that no time or paper has to be wasted on HR and pre-employment forms.

Gusto Payroll review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Payroll and paperwork made easy "

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily update my address, direct deposit information, withholding, etc. all in one place. I also like that I have access to all of my previous paystubs so that I can easily monitor any changes in my pay. It is also helpful that Gusto keeps track of how much I've paid in taxes. Finally, I like that I can load my W2 directly into TurboTax through Gusto's website. No need for physical copies of anything!

What do you dislike?

Gusto used to be directly integrated with Zenefits, and I don't like that the two were separated. I would prefer to have all of that information in one place. Additionally, sometimes Gusto tells me that I need additional paperwork, but doesn't send me the paperwork that I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is user friendly, and helps to keep all of our payroll and employee information organized.

We are streamlining the payroll process, and creating a centralized location to store all employee information. This platform also makes tax time a bit easier through automation of W2s.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"WORST COMPANY EVER..... BEWARE!"

What do you like best?

Absolutely nothing. They are the worst.

I have constant payroll errors, management is clueless and doesn't help resolve problems.

Most recent (today) my employee who has been with us for a year now, logged into her Gusto and all her personal data was cleared. Her info was replaced by another person that has not been on our payroll. Everything was gone and replaced someone else's private info - Direct deposit info, SSN, W2, Personal details, paystubs-- literally everything was switched. When we called Gusto to see where the error had lied, the customer service agent was clueless and could not give me a timeframe of when this issue would be corrected. Not to mention, my employee's paycheck was going to be deposited into someone else's account on Friday.

What do you dislike?

Communication

Consecutive errors

Lack of knowledge regarding own companies processes

Made my employees register/withdraw from Benefits three times due to errors and lack of communication on the Gusto Benefit teams behalf.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont Do it.

I have yet to find Gusto as a useful recourse. They provide no benefit to my company as I'm constantly having to call them to correct their errors.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"Great for Small Businesses"

What do you like best?

Gusto is a great service for small business owners who want to do things right from the start. The service is not only incredibly user friendly (with a stunning interface and down-to-earth language), but it really does a good job of helping you cover all your bases with tax forms, workers compensation, etc.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I've found with Gusto is that it makes it SO easy that I am not always sure if I'm keeping proper documentation for new workers myself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is great for companies who are looking to automate the Payroll/HR side of a small business. It really empowers business owners who are trying to juggle a lot of things to run Payroll and HR in a way that is compliant and consistent for all their employees. Gusto doesn't replace legal counsel. I strongly recommend also touching base with an employment lawyer to make sure you're setting up everything the right way.

Payroll and time management.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator

"Huge improvement over Intuit Full Service Payroll"

What do you like best?

The best features of Gusto are:

1. Easy to use portal for both employees and employers

2. "Self-onboarding" system for employers to send new hires their contract letter and paperwork all through Gusto's portal

3. HR capabilities for employees to request PTO and Sick days, with requests going to managers for approval

What do you dislike?

My only complaints about Gusto are:

1. Lack of any granular Admin permissions. There are only "Admins" and regular employees, meaning a Manager or Senior Manager does not have the ability to add a new employee or provide information about a new hire without also being able to see all information stored in Gusto

2. Inability to send an "offer letter" to someone who previously worked with our company. You can only reactivate their account, not send them a new contract, which is frustrating.

3. There is no invoice function, so contractors cannot submit an invoice and have their managers approve it. We have to maintain a separate system for contractors to invoice us.

We have solved our problems for contracts, paperwork, payroll, time off reporting, and updating employee address information (all of these things were basically done manually before and had to go through an Administrator who would make these updates).

Gusto Payroll review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Simple to use and get's the job done for my startup! "

What do you like best?

Gusto is very easy to navigate and you can easily access pay info, benefits, tax documents, etc. Very easy to update payment information and can simply split paycheck to make split deposits between multiple accounts - easiest program I have used to make that happen.

What do you dislike?

Having some issues filing state taxes through Gusto as our company switched over mid-year. I am sure there is an easy fix to this but my opinion tells me that this is not something that should require an easy fix..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to someone at Gusto to see if it meets your specific requirements. It works for what we do, but we are not a huge company.

Gusto Payroll review by User

"Gusto In my Company"

What do you like best?

I believe this is an open source or for a small business with limited employees, it may be free. The reason is, my employer started moving to Gusto from quickbook

What do you dislike?

Honestly not sure yet. It has a nice and sleek design, very intuitive, professional look and feel. This product does have a good future I believe.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can implement easy export and import of data, then it will help people to migrate from other tools and honestly if they dont like this tool for whatever be the reason, they can always export data and go to a different tool. By providing these kind of similar plugins or features will help the tool grow faster!

I am at user level. But my employer uses this to run payroll or they just migrated from Quickbook to Gusto and I believe they are pretty happy with this tool. It is not functional yet. But I registered as employee and my employer is trying to use starting this year.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Fraught with issues, zero sense of urgency, zero trust."

What do you like best?

I liked the first 4 months I used the service without them dropping the ball.

What do you dislike?

Every single thing about this solution. The fact that every 14 days there seems to be another tax issue. The fact that they left me out to try when their support took me through the Unemployment Tax process only to find out that it was configured incorrectly and we owed money from Q3 2017 when we received notice. When we asked about that, we were told it would be 5-7 business days until we heard anything from their tax resolution team.. The fact that they have failed several times to process payroll after it has been submitted, only to find out that their support tells me that it is my fault not theirs (I have begun providing screen shots to them, only to be told that I AM WRONG). Just a JOY to use and to deal with their condescending "support" team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find another provider and don't look back. The massive amount of horrible reviews on this site are telling the truth.

We use it to pay people, it does nothing other than that and CAUSE business problems.

Gusto Payroll review by User in Design
User in Design

"The Most Simple System to Implement for Your Payroll!"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy their customer support staff and working with them for my payroll. As a new business owner, I was unsure of the process for a couple features and it was seamlessly run. They gave me a follow up call to ensure everything went smooth as well. It is a simple software to navigate as well.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that they had a way (maybe I haven't found it yet) to not include my accountant on all the notifications. It sends them a notification each time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would ensure that you go through the process of setting up your business effectively and don't be afraid to contact them if you have questions.

I have used it to solve the problem of having to run my own payroll. For me, it is less expensive than ADP or Paychex and I was able to get a $200 Amazon gift card which is a bonus as well!

Gusto Payroll review by Brandon W.
Brandon W.

"Okay but I prefer Zenefits"

What do you like best?

It's nice that Gusto keeps sick time, PTO, and benefits in one place. Plus, being able to see recent paystubs and year to date statistics on hours worked, salary, taxes, etc. is nice too.

What do you dislike?

It would be more convenient if users could access their commuter benefits without having to log into another portal (benefits card manager). Not being able to submit transit benefit claims with a valid, official receipt is not very convenient. The support team said they will only accept manual claims (receipt) if the benefits card was denied. However, that is not practical because I ride public transportation everyday and would have to have my transit card "denied" each time for me to be allowed to submit receipt claims.

The support team denied some transit claims stating the claims were prior to Gusto managing the account and equated it to health insurance. However, the situation is completely different because my transit benefits were all transferred over to Gusto from Zenefits and the money is just sitting in the account. If it were like health insurance, that money is gone and not sitting in my account ready to be used/reimbursed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect to be able to submit transit claims with a receipt because Gusto won't accept them.

I think the company's HR department sees most of the benefits because they transitioned everything into Gusto from Zenefits. They wanted to manage everything for the company in a single platform instead of some employee benefits in Zenefits, and others in Gusto.

Gusto Payroll review by Sissy S.
Sissy S.

"Gusto is the besto. "

What do you like best?

Gusto's website has a great user experience. The layout is simple and easy to navigate, while also being fun. I don't mind letting the page load if I can watch a pig :) The homepage has a daily inspirational quote. A pig AND an inspirational quote!?! I love it.

Gusto also sends you emails on paydays that say "Happy payday!" and those make me happy! They make it very simple to see a full summary of your paycheck and the breakout of taxes, etc.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything I dislike so far. I suppose some folks may want to not get emails every payday or see a daily inspirational quote, so perhaps the only thing I would recommend is to let users personalize their home page?

Processing payroll, storing documents (I9, W2, etc.)

Gusto Payroll review by Matthew H.
Matthew H.

"Easy way to manage benefits"

What do you like best?

I like how easy the Gusto interface is for me to choose benefits for my employees. Additionally, my employees find it very easy also.

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure there is too much to dislike. I believe the service is great and the product is exactly what I need. Benefits and easy and explained well. Fees and pricing is reasonable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for managing payroll and benefits.

We use Gusto for employee benefits and employee payroll. It is very easy to use and manage. I can send my employees documents and agreements very easily. Great customer service and support team to help me manage everything.

Gusto Payroll review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"All-In-One HR Resource For Your Company"

What do you like best?

An all-in resource for your Human resources department. From payroll to annual reviews to the management of employee benefits, Gusto does a good job of bundling everything in one location for your HR team to use. It doesn't hurt that their support is great if you ever have a question.

What do you dislike?

As a small company, there's nothing that I dislike about Gusto. If we were a larger organization though with more users and needs, I'm not sure how Gusto would fair.

Launching and scaling a company is difficult in and of itself. Why make your HR needs as difficult when you can use Gusto. Utilizing Gusto has allowed us to offer basic HR functions to our employees in a user-friendly online portal.

Gusto Payroll review by Michael and Jessica L.
Michael and Jessica L.

"Gusto is awesome!"

What do you like best?

Gusto’s site is very user friendly and they make everything so easy! I don’t have to worry about paperwork to fill out or send in (and if I do, they tell me what I have to do) - they handle it all and make each step so clear. It takes such stress off of us knowing payroll and tax info is being handled. It has saved us hours a week!

What do you dislike?

Nothing (truly). I recommend to all my small business friends.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don’t have much understanding of all the details surrounding payroll, get Gusto!! They’re amazing and make it so easy for you.

See above

Gusto Payroll review by Marquette O.
Marquette O.

"Great resource for any small or medium sized business!"

What do you like best?

The ease of payroll with auto tax/insurance/etc. deductions. Plus any questions you have their people have an answer. Being able to offer an online interface for both our current and new employees is a huge plus.

What do you dislike?

The ONLY downside I can see is if there is a holiday on a monday payroll has to be run by the friday before. Unfortunately for us our employees work through the weekend and our pay period runs up until payroll monday.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't regret trying it.

Being able to not worry about taxes, deductions, or year end takes a lot of the stress off our staff.

Gusto Payroll review by Rebecca D.
Rebecca D.

"Easy and (surprisingly) fun"

What do you like best?

Gusto was completely painless to set up. I am a first-time business owner, running payroll on my own, and Gusto made it so incredibly simple to get it right.

What do you dislike?

It really is hard to think of something that I dislike. If I had to pick something, I guess I would say the price (a little high for one person).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome tool. So easy to use. Great for hands-off, easy payroll. Support has always been incredibly helpful as well.

I am running payroll for my business. I want to make sure to get the taxes right & get people paid on time.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Gusto: Not for True HR Service"

What do you like best?

Payroll service only is fine. What Gusto is trying to do with other services is good, but they don't execute it well. Now Gusto has expanded its service offerings even though they struggle with the current services. I recommend staying away from Gusto's non-payroll services.

What do you dislike?

Benefits service is terrible, and customer service is often bad - slow and uninformed. Gusto made errors during the company on-boarding process and has been terrible during the 2017 insurance renewal period. They were tardy sending renewal recommendations, did not provided options from multiple insurance companies as requested (sent only recs from our current insurer), and provided only one week to review and analyze those recommendations. Gusto seemed overwhelmed and unprepared for the renewal period. Emails went unanswered and the "Benefits Advisor" was "unavailable" to schedule a telephone conference to discuss renewal prior to the Gusto-imposed renewal deadline.

Paid Time Off process though Gusto is efficient and eliminated the need for us to use spreadsheets to track hours earned, used and balances.

Gusto Payroll review by Katie H.
Katie H.

"User friendly"

What do you like best?

I love how user friendly and easy to use the web-based software is. It's far better then some of the other large payroll companies I have experience with. Everything you need is in one log in including payroll submission and reporting.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth giving it a try to see how you like it. They usually offer a great deal to get started.

There have been significant savings with the cost associated with processing payroll. It's also been a huge time-saver to have them process payroll versus me trying to run payroll. It automatically imports to my QBO subscription. I also can easily allow my accountant access to the reports. This is a one stop software solution that fits perfectly for my business.

Gusto Payroll review by Krystle P.
Krystle P.

"A bookkeeper's best friend"

What do you like best?

Gusto has been an incredibly affordable way to offer full service payroll to my clients. My client's receive a first class experience, which makes me look great!

What do you dislike?

Switching payroll providers is always a bit of a pain. Gusto makes it bearable though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't like dealing with payroll, then Gusto is a fantastic solution.

Gusto has been a great option to offer payroll services to my clients at a great price. Because it syncs directly with QBO I don't have to spend extra time each pay run to key payroll data.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator in Human Resources
Administrator in Human Resources

"Great website - Completely Dishonest Account Managers"

What do you like best?

Their website is very easy to use and super clean user experience

What do you dislike?

This company is full of in your face marketing trying to encourage you to refer them to your friends. In doing so, they tell you that you and your friend will receive $100 gift cards. Not so fast. After referring several companies who are paying clients, I never got these gift cards, nor did my friends.

If they are dishonest about simple gift cards, imagine what else they are being dishonest about.

Do you really want them controlling your payroll taxes. What if they chose not to comply.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a small company, this could be a great fit. Don't recommend if you are a larger organization over 50 employees.

Processing payroll for the company.

Gusto Payroll review by Steffany A.
Steffany A.

"Gusto is one of the easiest & well presented payroll services out there! And I've tried them all."

What do you like best?

Very simple & to the point. Not a lot of bells & whistles, which makes it easy to setup and get things moving quickly. The dashboard is very appeasing on the ascetics side as well.

What do you dislike?

You have to run your payroll 4 business days in advance.

They are very limited on the reporting side. If you need basic reports, it works fine, but you can tell they haven't spent much time upgrading their reporting features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely!

Entering payroll for a consulting firm with 40+ employees with each having different hourly billing rates. The benefits I'm realizing are the ease of use and that it syncs well with QB.

Gusto Payroll review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Would definitely recommend for small companies"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, employee onboarding + document signing, integrations with 401k providers and implementing insurance benefits each year.

What do you dislike?

There have been a few issues with birthdates of team members (which is most likely an issue on the side of the team member who updated the information) not being correct, but the support is excellent and issue is rectified very quickly when I email.

For a small company, Gusto has been instrumental in helping us stay compliant, add new perks (including 401k, better insurance benefits, gym stipend, commuter stipend, etc.) that are all run directly through the platform. It also allows us to easily add contractors and ensure they're paid for their work in a timely manner. It's been a lifesaver across the board in terms of core HR functionality.

"NO Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Everyone is friendly, but no one knows what they are doing.

What do you dislike?

customer service is the worst...i was passed on by 4 customer service reps and was in 5 queues waiting to be helped spanning over 3+hours...when there were only 2-3 people ahead of me in a queue...all of a sudden I was bumped to voice mail... this is crazy! Gusto is not the right company for my business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick to work with a company that has better customer service otherwise you're just out there on your own

Gusto has completed their review of the account .... I set the account up weeks ago.. i spoke to a rep who stated that all was well. today is the first payroll... I called to make sure all was on track... to my dismay, nothing was on track

Gusto Payroll review by Emily P.
Emily P.

"Would Not Recommend "

What do you like best?

I moved to this company from ADP because they are about half the price for what I thought was the same service.

What do you dislike?

When onboarding, you are completely alone. It is you and their website. They tell you what info to input but it is very easy to make a mistake. I don't know if I made the mistake or if the website did but the NC Unemployment Tax was set to pay quarterly while it should have been set to monthly.

About three months into switching to Zen/Gusto, I get a letter from the NC Unemployment Commission stating that I owe back taxes, penalties and interest. They were upset because it was filed quarterly when it should have been monthly. I don't know why I would have put in quarterly or why Zen/Gusto didn't catch it.

Keep in mind I have been in business for over 13 years and never had a problem with any tax agency.

It seems that Zen/Gusto want to take the payroll money as early as possible and hold it as long as they can to maximize the interest they make on it. Maybe this is why they are half the price of ADP.

I tried on multiple occasions to get the company to pay the fees but they would not. They also were helpless in dealing with the NC Employment Commission.

Long story short, I saved money by switching but ended up paying more in penalties and interest to the NC Employment Commission. It has been a very bad experience and I am in the process of leaving this company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use this company. I have been in business for over 13 years and i switched to Gusto Q3 only to have major problems, fees and penalties with the NC Unemployment Commission since.

None over what ADP offered.

Gusto Payroll review by Dustin E.
Dustin E.

"Best All-in-One HR Software Available"

What do you like best?

I love all the integration, from allowing Gusto to broker our insurance benefits, to them partnering with companies like Guideline, Gradvisor, and Xero.

What do you dislike?

The inability to create multiple time off policies of the same type. It's made it difficult to add time off like parental leave.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop wasting your time looking at other products and sign up!!

Gusto simplifies and unifies all of our HR needs, and recently us shifting our insurance benefits to Gusto has made everything so efficient.

Learn more about Gusto Payroll

Gusto Payroll Videos

Learning about Gusto Payroll?

* We monitor all Gusto Payroll reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
(234 reviews)