Gusto Payroll

Gusto Payroll

Payroll, benefits, and HR made refreshingly easy.

Work for Gusto Payroll?

Learning about Gusto Payroll?

Gusto Payroll Reviews

Ask Gusto Payroll a Question
Showing 210 Gusto Payroll reviews
Gusto review by Akshita N.
Akshita N.

"Classic App With Super Customer care service."

What do you like best?

The best part of this app is the Customer Support,

Interface - The sweet little pig which will make your Mood light while the page loads

Chat Option - They are all time avalibale for help and respond ver quickly

Payroll Processing time is less and easy to Calculate all the reports

They are very good when it comes to documentation part.

There report section is easy to use.

Easy to take full summary of payroll along with Paystubs.

They have very nice staff. I just love using GUSTO.

i am the sole proprietor and the use of GUSTO is so east , I must say They are the best Payroll Provider.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as such.

But they charge for all the active employees. If you skip the payroll then also you have to pay $6 for each candidate. I think they should charge for the candidates who will receive the payment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can opt for core plan, If you only want to run payroll from Gusto.

There are some other plans also than you can go for, If you want GUSTO to provide you benefits and Insurance. Also till now I found that GUSTO has the best Customer Service.

We have removed our CPA and it helped us alot. Cost cutting is the best benefits we have realized.

It helped us to keep all our data at one place. Whether it is account number or state ID or documents.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Gusto Payroll
Gusto review by Julie F.
Julie F.

"Perfection for Payroll"

What do you like best?

I am a sole proprietor and payroll can be overwhelming and daunting. Gusto has taken all the guesswork out of the process. Every step of the way they take care of federal and state taxes. I was able to obtain unemployment insurance through them and they linked me so I could obtain workman's comp. They made a process that I could have easily messed up.

Their customer service is also magnificent. I only have a few employees and with some companies, you get the sense they are not as attuned to the little guy.

What do you dislike?

Thus far in the process, I have run into no major issues with this product. I wanted to delete a message from the home page and couldn't seem to do it so if that happened a lot it could be annoying. However, this is a product I would recommend to almost anyone.

This is helping with all my HR needs and payroll. I keep learning additional little bonus applications in Gusto from other users. It also helps me keep track of PTO for my team. I plan on using it for more benefit management in the future. Using Gusto has taken a lot of worry off my shoulders and has streamlined the hiring, HR and payroll processes. Oh and I don't want to forget their cute information and positive notifications in the payroll emails. My team loves them! :)

What Payroll solution do you use?

Gusto review by Martha M.
Martha M.

"I'm not afraid of payroll any more"

What do you like best?

Easy to use platform that provides guidance for corrections or upcoming due dates. Excellent customer service both from my dedicated reps and the various teams I've worked with for integration, etc.

What do you dislike?

I'll never enjoy running payroll as it requires me to maintain a schedule for people to get paid on time, but my clients see having payroll done for them as added value, so I appreciate that Gusto makes it as easy as possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the migration team whenever possible, switch ideally at year end but at least at quarter end and not mid-quarter. The lowest tier is still a full-service package and will likely meet the needs of most small businesses.

I didn't offer any payroll services before working with Gusto, so I lost out on clients sometimes that wanted a one-stop solution. The platform is easy to use so my clients (that run their own payroll) feel like I've found a great service for them, and for the clients for whom I run payroll, I feel confident that Gusto has my back in filing the necessary forms and knowing what taxes are applicable. I also love not being the one to collect personal data from employees to enter in the payroll system.

Gusto review by Emily C.
Emily C.

"Review of Gusto"

What do you like best?

I was surprised at how easy it was to navigate through. I usually have to be walked through a new process, but was able to figure out how to submit payroll all by myself, and very quickly!

What do you dislike?

I do wish that there was an app for what I use this program for. I use it primarily for adding new employees and submitting payroll. It's fine using a web browser, but I always prefer if apps are available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely would recommend Gusto - if only for the payroll alone! It's less expensive for processing payroll and you don't have to rely on someone else to do it for you - it's all in your hands!

We are paying less money to process payroll; there is no longer a third party involved in payroll; and they have made it so simple that we're wondering why we didn't do this long before!

Gusto review by Robby M.
Robby M.

"Amazing service, guidance, flows through to software, and it's great to know I'm in compliance"

What do you like best?

Payroll is extremely complex and that only increases in the context of HR matters. Gusto does an incredible job of responding quickly, helping me understanding how to stay in compliance, and fully automates the process. It's nice to know that my taxes are handled and my employees are paid so that I can run my business. As an accountant, I use the product for my practice, but I also am able to have full faith for my clients.

What do you dislike?

I honestly have no complaints about Gusto. I've never had a problem, they're supportive and do a great job explaining everything, communicating and reporting timely!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's excellent to use if you want compliance taken care of for you, you're comfortable using a cloud-based application, and use for direct deposit or check printing for employees. They scale, so you can change your level appropriate for your growth and size of your business.

Gusto makes it possible for me to have payroll completely off my plate and in compliance with State and Federal tax authorities. Furthermore, when I don't have an answer, they do! I rely on this kind of guidance to be successful in my practice. Payroll is not something I sought to specialize in, so by working with Gusto, my clients and I have payroll, we have visibility int he accounting application and we have streamlined our process.

Gusto review by Ingrid K.
Ingrid K.

"We love working with Gusto."

What do you like best?

I like that our employees ENJOY using Gusto. They tell me that Gusto is easy to use and makes keeping track of benefits so simple. As an admin, I like how easy Gusto makes onboarding and how I can take care of everything in one place. I can't wait to grow our company and use more of Gusto's great benefits!

What do you dislike?

I dislike waiting for new features!! That's less of a dislike and more of being impatient. For instance, I had Gusto's commuter benefits approved through our financial grapevine even though they are more expensive than our current solution but I was put on a waitlist for the benefit. I'm happy Gusto isn't taking on more than they can handle - it would ruin their stellar customer service - but I can't wait to move everything into Gusto!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try them - you won't regret it. Your employees will thank you.

Gusto makes it easy to handle our operations for our 11 person team. As the only operations employee, it's important that I am able to keep track of all things payroll/benefits/HR. Gusto keeps me on track :) Gusto made me think more about how to help our employees and what would make their experience better.

Gusto review by Michelle L.
Michelle L.

"User friendly for paychecks and record keeping"

What do you like best?

I love how user friendly the program is. Gusto is very easy to navigate and you can easily access paystubs, benefits, tax documents, etc. Additionally, anytime an employee needs to update their direct deposit information, they can easily do that through Gusto, which allows our employees to even split deposits between multiple accounts - easiest program I have used to complete that task.

What do you dislike?

Gusto is so easy to use, I honestly do not have any dislikes. I can't even critique their webpage design. It is simple and does everything it needs to do. Nothing more, nothing less. While the program could used enhanced integration, using Gusto specifically to manage payroll has worked for our small company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is simple, straightforward, and easy for our employees to use and navigate.

We use gusto to cut employee paychecks. Once paid, the employees receive their pay stub in their email, which they can easily check to ensure accuracy. The pay stubs are very straightforward and easy to understand. The program also stores all pay stubs and tax documents, so those important documents are always easy to access.

Gusto review by Marcos T.
Marcos T.

"Don't...Just don't!"

What do you like best?

Cute UI...if that's what you're in the market for.

What do you dislike?

Almost everything. I'm serious. Stay away from Gusto. Here's some of my favorites:

- You and your employees see different PTO balances because the system tracks them differently

- You can only have one PTO policy per employee. Moving employees between policies will delete the previous balances. If you do this mass move the system doesn't warn you until it's all gone

- You can't mass update anything. Need to make the same change to all employees? Get ready to click away for days! The slowness of the system also makes this a great experience if you love wasting hours.

- Customer service is useless and can take a long time to get someone on the phone. Email support takes 24 - 48 hours to respond even the smallest question.

Did I mention you should stay away from Gusto? Remember you get what you pay for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

STAY AWAY!!!

Payroll/HR/compliance. Low cost is the only "benefit", but you get what you pay for.

Gusto review by Abby W.
Abby W.

"Awesome, fun, easy to use UI"

What do you like best?

Gusto has a really fun and playful UI and super simple UX that makes all that boring HR stuff really easy to use and fun to check on. I have no idea what it's like to use from the perspective of my HR department, but from the perspective of an employee, it's a joy. I actually want to sign on to look at my paystubs and HR info because there are often new fun facts, cute animations, etc. It's silly and simple, but really delightful experience!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything. I love using this product!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Lean into the cute features! The ability to send welcome notes to new employees, happy birthday cards, "on this date in history" facts about your birthday, silly "did you know"s about your paycheck, and more can bring happiness and levity to the HR product- which makes everyone happy!

- Track payroll and paystubs

- Track employees and see a list of everyone in the company

- Employee info and welcoming new employees

- Important documents and forms

Gusto review by João Filipe C.
João Filipe C.

"Great UI/UX, horrible terrible awful tax compliance. "

What do you like best?

The UI is lovely and the site is easy to navigate. When changes to employees or other business features need to be made, the editing process is very simple and straightforward. Overall the design of the website is aesthetically great.

What do you dislike?

Tax compliance - Gusto has managed to improperly calculate or improperly file our state taxes twice, with errors being made in more than 4 quarters. When we reached out after being served a subpoena by the State of Washington, it took Gusto more than a week and four emails from our CEO to receive any kind of response. Eventually, frustrated with the severe delay (Gusto only needed to mail a check), I personally resolved the issue by sending the check ourselves rather than face additional penalty and interest from Gusto's lack of response.

When a separate issue occurred which the CS representative labeled "high priority", we were informed that response time on high priority issues from the tax compliance department was "about three days". When states are serving subpoenas and expecting penalties and interest to be paid on receipt, three days is an unacceptable response time. When I told the representative this, I was met with an apologetic "The Tax Resolution team is a smaller group so they must handle cases in the order they are usually received". If the team can't respond to critical tickets in a timely manner, shouldn't the team's size be increased?

Overall we have been met with severe delays and a total lack of apparent effort on Gusto's part to resolve our issues. When no issues are present the product is fine, but when issues arise Gusto seems as though they cannot be bothered to give the issue the attention it needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would explore other alternative programs that are available. Gusto is great when things are going well, but if you need their help resolving issues or want a product where taxes are filed correctly and you don't have to wait over a week for a proper response, look elsewhere.

We've been using gusto for Payroll, including state and federal tax compliance. So far the only benefits we have realized are that payroll has been completed in a timely manner and employees have not reported issues with paychecks.

Gusto review by Erin A.
Erin A.

"Terrific for Solopreneurs & Small Business Owners"

What do you like best?

-Makes payroll as simple as possible. Small business owners don't have to hire a bookkeeper to process the payroll.

-Cost--sometimes half the cost of other payroll processors (I have a blogpost about this on my site). Also love flat fees-- you really know what you're paying for the service without surprise W2 processing fees etc (like other payroll providers).

-Friendly customer service.

-Gusto is easy to get ahold of in business hours (no long wait times, etc).

What do you dislike?

Length of setup - feels like could be even more streamlined. There's a checklist when you start setting up, but I've had it happen working with 2 companies where we entered all the data requested and had marked all our action items, only to have a new action item pop up after logging out. This can feel annoying and a bit overwhelming to a business owner who has already gathered a ton of information to get payroll processing started.

Only true problem is listed above. Probably wouldn't be terrific for a larger company (over 10 employees) because the whole concept is based on streamlining payroll. One feature we love is setting payroll to auto cycle for salaried employees, and auto syncing with QuickBooks Online accounts--saves a lot of time and energy.

Gusto review by Administrator

"Worked well for 2 people but did not scale as we grew"

What do you like best?

I like that Gusto is very simple to setup and makes payroll less scary. At first I felt very confident that payroll was being handled correctly. It handles the tax filings automatically, which has been amazing. I also like that it provides a mechanism to pay contractors.

What do you dislike?

When it was just my business partner and I using Gusto for payroll worked very well. As we started hiring employees that is when Gusto started to show problems. One pay cycle our employees were paid 3 days late, despite receiving an email a week earlier that they would be paid on time. You had one job Gusto!

It was difficult to get in touch with support about this issue. When we finally did get in touch we were told that we had exceeded our credit limit, which caused the payroll to be delayed. This was surprising to us because we did not know that there was a credit limit or that we had exceeded it. Support did confirm that we should have received an email notification about reaching the limit, but did not. Instead we just got an email as usual that said "Your employees will get paid on time, and you won't have to do a thing!" Unfortunately the only help Gusto could provide was to raise the credit limit for the next pay cycle, pending manager approval. The person we talked to was very careful about their wording that our employees were not paid late and the payroll system was operating as normal. I cannot see how holding everyone's money for an extra 3 days without prior notice is expected behavior.

Paying contractors is a very slow process (7 days+).

Some time ago Gusto sent us a notification that they were now offering benefits like insurance. We happened to be in the market at the time for health insurance. When we started the process we could only click a button to be notified when benefits were offered. I don't know if they ever started selling benefits but we went elsewhere for that piece.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your payroll is simple then it will work well. If your payroll gets too complicated then I would look elsewhere. I would also advise deploying Gusto to check that the credit limit covers your payroll.

Gusto manages our payroll.

Gusto review by Victoria R.
Victoria R.

"Great solution for my business!"

What do you like best?

I like the easy-to-understand user interface and that the paperwork is done for me! I love being able to direct deposit my independent contractors and connect a 401K directly through Guideline.

What do you dislike?

I don't love that I can't set up auto-pay for contractors. This would be a super user-friendly solution to something for me. I also wish the Direct Deposit went a LITTLE faster, but a week is totally reasonable as well. It'd be nice to be able to pay on different pay schedules, but I don't need that right now either.

I'm an LLC filing as an S-Corp, but I use a lot of contractors regularly as a real estate broker (all my agents are independent contractors). This provides a really easy and user-friendly solution to organize and pay everyone.

Gusto review by Kena G.
Kena G.

"Joke of a system"

What do you like best?

The pig. That is the only good thing. There is nothing about this system I would ever recommend.

What do you dislike?

Everything else. It is terrible. They lump Holiday into PTO - taking those hours from the employee without anyone knowing! Then i have to manually add them back into regular hours - doesn’t show Holiday at all. 4 days for Independent contractors checks. And then the latest - it won’t work on an iPad. I had to literally call-in payroll!! I can’t wait until the end of the year so I can switch. NEVER use GUSTO.

Recommendations to others considering the product

stop investing in being cute and actually do something. The holiday hours are a complete disaster - and you set companies up for major legal issues. The lack of mobile options is equally a joke in this era. I can’t believe this is rolled out for public use and that I am paying for it!

I’ve only had problems. Not one benefit!

Gusto review by User

"User friendly, well designed with fun features"

What do you like best?

- Getting emails about my direct deposit

- Employee profiles, fun facts, b-days, etc.

- Really easy to access information for tax purposes

- Sending offer letters, onboarding new hires, and everything post-interview related all located in one place. very useful!

What do you dislike?

We don't really use this for tracking things like vacation days and PTO...and I'm not sure if that's available on the platform.

Also I wish there were a more robust place in the platform for perks and maybe have reimbursements related to perks as part of the platform, too. I would definitely spend more time on it, and it would make my life a lot easier...but that would really just be a cherry on top.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricier than quickbooks or hand calculations/manual spreadsheets but worth it if you are starting to scale as a company!! Definitely recommend.

Consolidating paperwork, organizing payroll, managing employee overhead, and simplifying tax season challenges are all addressed by Gusto. It's great! Less scrambling for whether you got paid, or looking for your paperwork, because all that is tracked by Gusto for you.

Gusto review by Susan L.
Susan L.

"The worst service run from gusto!"

What do you like best?

Nothing! We could not even get the account setup because no humans actually help you. all you get are automated messages saying "more information is needed". Then, when we tried to cancel the account that we did not set up, they told us that since a payroll had already been run, we had to login and cancel ourselves. Information on how to do this was included in the mail. WRONG information. So not possible to cancel. Call for help gets you put on indefinate hold. Then we get notices that we are being invoiced for services.

What do you dislike?

What a terrible excuse for a company. The whole purpose is a service organization, primarily for small to mid sized companies. yet they take way more time than they help you save.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere. there is NO SUPPORT for this product. We ended up going to Surepayroll where actual people respond to your emails.

Payroll.

Gusto review by Carrie W.
Carrie W.

"Gusto is so easy to use!"

What do you like best?

They have someone always there to chat with you if you have questions, and they're quick to respond overall. They let you know what actions are required on your part but they take care of most of the tax information, for example, so there's not a lot required on our part which is nice so I can focus on other aspects of my job!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a small company of 2-10 employees, I would recommend you get health benefits through Gusto as well as payroll. It's easy to view benefits plans and ask them questions, and rates are reasonable.

They helped us with health benefits and payroll. It's all in one place which is really convenient.

Gusto review by Adam C.
Adam C.

"Best Payroll service out there."

What do you like best?

The ease of running payroll and hiring staff. They make it painless and actually fun.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. If I had any issue, it would be the cost for the concierge level plan.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have 100 employees or less, Gusto is at least worth a demo to see if it is a good fit for your business!

It helped streamline my payroll process as it integrates with my scheduling software. It makes HR paperwork a breeze as it is all in one location and employees can login to their own portal for w2's and all paperwork. The communication sent via Gusto is witty and makes payroll more fun. Employees love it.

Gusto review by Madeline C.
Madeline C.

"Great and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I love that when I was onboarded at my current job, Gusto made everything really easy. There were no extensive packets of HR forms or other legal forms that I had to wait a long period of time to fill out in person. Instead, my employer set me up with a Gusto account and I was able to complete all of those forms on my phone. It was so easy! I also did not have to think twice about whether the information I was inputting was accurate as far as tax information goes because Gusto offers great descriptions and helpful tips of what information should be inputted.

What do you dislike?

I really honestly can not think of anything that I disliked about the Gusto system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are interested in using Gusto, there is no question about whether it will be helpful to you and your business or not! It takes away a ton of unnecessary paperwork, saves money on printing, makes the process straightforward, and allows the person that is being hired to be able to complete the forms when they are not even in the office in person. This leads to valuable work time being saved, and says a lot about the productivity increase that comes with using this amazing software. Gusto is clearly the future of workplace administration, and replaces a lot of jobs that may not be deemed as unnecessary. The expense for Gusto is definitely worth the convenience and Long term savings that come with using Gusto.

The business problem that my employer is solving with Gusto is that no time or paper has to be wasted on HR and pre-employment forms.

Gusto review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Payroll and paperwork made easy "

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily update my address, direct deposit information, withholding, etc. all in one place. I also like that I have access to all of my previous paystubs so that I can easily monitor any changes in my pay. It is also helpful that Gusto keeps track of how much I've paid in taxes. Finally, I like that I can load my W2 directly into TurboTax through Gusto's website. No need for physical copies of anything!

What do you dislike?

Gusto used to be directly integrated with Zenefits, and I don't like that the two were separated. I would prefer to have all of that information in one place. Additionally, sometimes Gusto tells me that I need additional paperwork, but doesn't send me the paperwork that I need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is user friendly, and helps to keep all of our payroll and employee information organized.

We are streamlining the payroll process, and creating a centralized location to store all employee information. This platform also makes tax time a bit easier through automation of W2s.

Gusto review by Administrator

"WORST COMPANY EVER..... BEWARE!"

What do you like best?

Absolutely nothing. They are the worst.

I have constant payroll errors, management is clueless and doesn't help resolve problems.

Most recent (today) my employee who has been with us for a year now, logged into her Gusto and all her personal data was cleared. Her info was replaced by another person that has not been on our payroll. Everything was gone and replaced someone else's private info - Direct deposit info, SSN, W2, Personal details, paystubs-- literally everything was switched. When we called Gusto to see where the error had lied, the customer service agent was clueless and could not give me a timeframe of when this issue would be corrected. Not to mention, my employee's paycheck was going to be deposited into someone else's account on Friday.

What do you dislike?

Communication

Consecutive errors

Lack of knowledge regarding own companies processes

Made my employees register/withdraw from Benefits three times due to errors and lack of communication on the Gusto Benefit teams behalf.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont Do it.

I have yet to find Gusto as a useful recourse. They provide no benefit to my company as I'm constantly having to call them to correct their errors.

Gusto review by Administrator

"Great for Small Businesses"

What do you like best?

Gusto is a great service for small business owners who want to do things right from the start. The service is not only incredibly user friendly (with a stunning interface and down-to-earth language), but it really does a good job of helping you cover all your bases with tax forms, workers compensation, etc.

What do you dislike?

The only issue I've found with Gusto is that it makes it SO easy that I am not always sure if I'm keeping proper documentation for new workers myself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is great for companies who are looking to automate the Payroll/HR side of a small business. It really empowers business owners who are trying to juggle a lot of things to run Payroll and HR in a way that is compliant and consistent for all their employees. Gusto doesn't replace legal counsel. I strongly recommend also touching base with an employment lawyer to make sure you're setting up everything the right way.

Payroll and time management.

Gusto review by Administrator

"Huge improvement over Intuit Full Service Payroll"

What do you like best?

The best features of Gusto are:

1. Easy to use portal for both employees and employers

2. "Self-onboarding" system for employers to send new hires their contract letter and paperwork all through Gusto's portal

3. HR capabilities for employees to request PTO and Sick days, with requests going to managers for approval

What do you dislike?

My only complaints about Gusto are:

1. Lack of any granular Admin permissions. There are only "Admins" and regular employees, meaning a Manager or Senior Manager does not have the ability to add a new employee or provide information about a new hire without also being able to see all information stored in Gusto

2. Inability to send an "offer letter" to someone who previously worked with our company. You can only reactivate their account, not send them a new contract, which is frustrating.

3. There is no invoice function, so contractors cannot submit an invoice and have their managers approve it. We have to maintain a separate system for contractors to invoice us.

We have solved our problems for contracts, paperwork, payroll, time off reporting, and updating employee address information (all of these things were basically done manually before and had to go through an Administrator who would make these updates).

Gusto review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Simple to use and get's the job done for my startup! "

What do you like best?

Gusto is very easy to navigate and you can easily access pay info, benefits, tax documents, etc. Very easy to update payment information and can simply split paycheck to make split deposits between multiple accounts - easiest program I have used to make that happen.

What do you dislike?

Having some issues filing state taxes through Gusto as our company switched over mid-year. I am sure there is an easy fix to this but my opinion tells me that this is not something that should require an easy fix..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to someone at Gusto to see if it meets your specific requirements. It works for what we do, but we are not a huge company.

"Gusto In my Company"

What do you like best?

I believe this is an open source or for a small business with limited employees, it may be free. The reason is, my employer started moving to Gusto from quickbook

What do you dislike?

Honestly not sure yet. It has a nice and sleek design, very intuitive, professional look and feel. This product does have a good future I believe.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can implement easy export and import of data, then it will help people to migrate from other tools and honestly if they dont like this tool for whatever be the reason, they can always export data and go to a different tool. By providing these kind of similar plugins or features will help the tool grow faster!

I am at user level. But my employer uses this to run payroll or they just migrated from Quickbook to Gusto and I believe they are pretty happy with this tool. It is not functional yet. But I registered as employee and my employer is trying to use starting this year.

Gusto review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"Fraught with issues, zero sense of urgency, zero trust."

What do you like best?

I liked the first 4 months I used the service without them dropping the ball.

What do you dislike?

Every single thing about this solution. The fact that every 14 days there seems to be another tax issue. The fact that they left me out to try when their support took me through the Unemployment Tax process only to find out that it was configured incorrectly and we owed money from Q3 2017 when we received notice. When we asked about that, we were told it would be 5-7 business days until we heard anything from their tax resolution team.. The fact that they have failed several times to process payroll after it has been submitted, only to find out that their support tells me that it is my fault not theirs (I have begun providing screen shots to them, only to be told that I AM WRONG). Just a JOY to use and to deal with their condescending "support" team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find another provider and don't look back. The massive amount of horrible reviews on this site are telling the truth.

We use it to pay people, it does nothing other than that and CAUSE business problems.

Gusto review by User in Design
User in Design

"The Most Simple System to Implement for Your Payroll!"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy their customer support staff and working with them for my payroll. As a new business owner, I was unsure of the process for a couple features and it was seamlessly run. They gave me a follow up call to ensure everything went smooth as well. It is a simple software to navigate as well.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that they had a way (maybe I haven't found it yet) to not include my accountant on all the notifications. It sends them a notification each time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would ensure that you go through the process of setting up your business effectively and don't be afraid to contact them if you have questions.

I have used it to solve the problem of having to run my own payroll. For me, it is less expensive than ADP or Paychex and I was able to get a $200 Amazon gift card which is a bonus as well!

Gusto review by Brandon W.
Brandon W.

"Okay but I prefer Zenefits"

What do you like best?

It's nice that Gusto keeps sick time, PTO, and benefits in one place. Plus, being able to see recent paystubs and year to date statistics on hours worked, salary, taxes, etc. is nice too.

What do you dislike?

It would be more convenient if users could access their commuter benefits without having to log into another portal (benefits card manager). Not being able to submit transit benefit claims with a valid, official receipt is not very convenient. The support team said they will only accept manual claims (receipt) if the benefits card was denied. However, that is not practical because I ride public transportation everyday and would have to have my transit card "denied" each time for me to be allowed to submit receipt claims.

The support team denied some transit claims stating the claims were prior to Gusto managing the account and equated it to health insurance. However, the situation is completely different because my transit benefits were all transferred over to Gusto from Zenefits and the money is just sitting in the account. If it were like health insurance, that money is gone and not sitting in my account ready to be used/reimbursed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect to be able to submit transit claims with a receipt because Gusto won't accept them.

I think the company's HR department sees most of the benefits because they transitioned everything into Gusto from Zenefits. They wanted to manage everything for the company in a single platform instead of some employee benefits in Zenefits, and others in Gusto.

Gusto review by Sissy S.
Sissy S.

"Gusto is the besto. "

What do you like best?

Gusto's website has a great user experience. The layout is simple and easy to navigate, while also being fun. I don't mind letting the page load if I can watch a pig :) The homepage has a daily inspirational quote. A pig AND an inspirational quote!?! I love it.

Gusto also sends you emails on paydays that say "Happy payday!" and those make me happy! They make it very simple to see a full summary of your paycheck and the breakout of taxes, etc.

What do you dislike?

I cannot think of anything I dislike so far. I suppose some folks may want to not get emails every payday or see a daily inspirational quote, so perhaps the only thing I would recommend is to let users personalize their home page?

Processing payroll, storing documents (I9, W2, etc.)

Gusto review by Matthew H.
Matthew H.

"Easy way to manage benefits"

What do you like best?

I like how easy the Gusto interface is for me to choose benefits for my employees. Additionally, my employees find it very easy also.

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure there is too much to dislike. I believe the service is great and the product is exactly what I need. Benefits and easy and explained well. Fees and pricing is reasonable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for managing payroll and benefits.

We use Gusto for employee benefits and employee payroll. It is very easy to use and manage. I can send my employees documents and agreements very easily. Great customer service and support team to help me manage everything.

Gusto review by Michael and Jessica L.
Michael and Jessica L.

"Gusto is awesome!"

What do you like best?

Gusto’s site is very user friendly and they make everything so easy! I don’t have to worry about paperwork to fill out or send in (and if I do, they tell me what I have to do) - they handle it all and make each step so clear. It takes such stress off of us knowing payroll and tax info is being handled. It has saved us hours a week!

What do you dislike?

Nothing (truly). I recommend to all my small business friends.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don’t have much understanding of all the details surrounding payroll, get Gusto!! They’re amazing and make it so easy for you.

See above

Gusto review by Marquette O.
Marquette O.

"Great resource for any small or medium sized business!"

What do you like best?

The ease of payroll with auto tax/insurance/etc. deductions. Plus any questions you have their people have an answer. Being able to offer an online interface for both our current and new employees is a huge plus.

What do you dislike?

The ONLY downside I can see is if there is a holiday on a monday payroll has to be run by the friday before. Unfortunately for us our employees work through the weekend and our pay period runs up until payroll monday.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You won't regret trying it.

Being able to not worry about taxes, deductions, or year end takes a lot of the stress off our staff.

Gusto review by Rebecca D.
Rebecca D.

"Easy and (surprisingly) fun"

What do you like best?

Gusto was completely painless to set up. I am a first-time business owner, running payroll on my own, and Gusto made it so incredibly simple to get it right.

What do you dislike?

It really is hard to think of something that I dislike. If I had to pick something, I guess I would say the price (a little high for one person).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome tool. So easy to use. Great for hands-off, easy payroll. Support has always been incredibly helpful as well.

I am running payroll for my business. I want to make sure to get the taxes right & get people paid on time.

Gusto review by Administrator in Religious Institutions
Administrator in Religious Institutions

"Gusto: Not for True HR Service"

What do you like best?

Payroll service only is fine. What Gusto is trying to do with other services is good, but they don't execute it well. Now Gusto has expanded its service offerings even though they struggle with the current services. I recommend staying away from Gusto's non-payroll services.

What do you dislike?

Benefits service is terrible, and customer service is often bad - slow and uninformed. Gusto made errors during the company on-boarding process and has been terrible during the 2017 insurance renewal period. They were tardy sending renewal recommendations, did not provided options from multiple insurance companies as requested (sent only recs from our current insurer), and provided only one week to review and analyze those recommendations. Gusto seemed overwhelmed and unprepared for the renewal period. Emails went unanswered and the "Benefits Advisor" was "unavailable" to schedule a telephone conference to discuss renewal prior to the Gusto-imposed renewal deadline.

Paid Time Off process though Gusto is efficient and eliminated the need for us to use spreadsheets to track hours earned, used and balances.

Gusto review by Katie H.
Katie H.

"User friendly"

What do you like best?

I love how user friendly and easy to use the web-based software is. It's far better then some of the other large payroll companies I have experience with. Everything you need is in one log in including payroll submission and reporting.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth giving it a try to see how you like it. They usually offer a great deal to get started.

There have been significant savings with the cost associated with processing payroll. It's also been a huge time-saver to have them process payroll versus me trying to run payroll. It automatically imports to my QBO subscription. I also can easily allow my accountant access to the reports. This is a one stop software solution that fits perfectly for my business.

Gusto review by Krystle P.
Krystle P.

"A bookkeeper's best friend"

What do you like best?

Gusto has been an incredibly affordable way to offer full service payroll to my clients. My client's receive a first class experience, which makes me look great!

What do you dislike?

Switching payroll providers is always a bit of a pain. Gusto makes it bearable though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you don't like dealing with payroll, then Gusto is a fantastic solution.

Gusto has been a great option to offer payroll services to my clients at a great price. Because it syncs directly with QBO I don't have to spend extra time each pay run to key payroll data.

Gusto review by Administrator in Human Resources
Administrator in Human Resources

"Great website - Completely Dishonest Account Managers"

What do you like best?

Their website is very easy to use and super clean user experience

What do you dislike?

This company is full of in your face marketing trying to encourage you to refer them to your friends. In doing so, they tell you that you and your friend will receive $100 gift cards. Not so fast. After referring several companies who are paying clients, I never got these gift cards, nor did my friends.

If they are dishonest about simple gift cards, imagine what else they are being dishonest about.

Do you really want them controlling your payroll taxes. What if they chose not to comply.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a small company, this could be a great fit. Don't recommend if you are a larger organization over 50 employees.

Processing payroll for the company.

Gusto review by Steffany A.
Steffany A.

"Gusto is one of the easiest & well presented payroll services out there! And I've tried them all."

What do you like best?

Very simple & to the point. Not a lot of bells & whistles, which makes it easy to setup and get things moving quickly. The dashboard is very appeasing on the ascetics side as well.

What do you dislike?

You have to run your payroll 4 business days in advance.

They are very limited on the reporting side. If you need basic reports, it works fine, but you can tell they haven't spent much time upgrading their reporting features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely!

Entering payroll for a consulting firm with 40+ employees with each having different hourly billing rates. The benefits I'm realizing are the ease of use and that it syncs well with QB.

Gusto review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Would definitely recommend for small companies"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, employee onboarding + document signing, integrations with 401k providers and implementing insurance benefits each year.

What do you dislike?

There have been a few issues with birthdates of team members (which is most likely an issue on the side of the team member who updated the information) not being correct, but the support is excellent and issue is rectified very quickly when I email.

For a small company, Gusto has been instrumental in helping us stay compliant, add new perks (including 401k, better insurance benefits, gym stipend, commuter stipend, etc.) that are all run directly through the platform. It also allows us to easily add contractors and ensure they're paid for their work in a timely manner. It's been a lifesaver across the board in terms of core HR functionality.

"NO Customer Service"

What do you like best?

Everyone is friendly, but no one knows what they are doing.

What do you dislike?

customer service is the worst...i was passed on by 4 customer service reps and was in 5 queues waiting to be helped spanning over 3+hours...when there were only 2-3 people ahead of me in a queue...all of a sudden I was bumped to voice mail... this is crazy! Gusto is not the right company for my business.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick to work with a company that has better customer service otherwise you're just out there on your own

Gusto has completed their review of the account .... I set the account up weeks ago.. i spoke to a rep who stated that all was well. today is the first payroll... I called to make sure all was on track... to my dismay, nothing was on track

Gusto review by Emily P.
Emily P.

"Would Not Recommend "

What do you like best?

I moved to this company from ADP because they are about half the price for what I thought was the same service.

What do you dislike?

When onboarding, you are completely alone. It is you and their website. They tell you what info to input but it is very easy to make a mistake. I don't know if I made the mistake or if the website did but the NC Unemployment Tax was set to pay quarterly while it should have been set to monthly.

About three months into switching to Zen/Gusto, I get a letter from the NC Unemployment Commission stating that I owe back taxes, penalties and interest. They were upset because it was filed quarterly when it should have been monthly. I don't know why I would have put in quarterly or why Zen/Gusto didn't catch it.

Keep in mind I have been in business for over 13 years and never had a problem with any tax agency.

It seems that Zen/Gusto want to take the payroll money as early as possible and hold it as long as they can to maximize the interest they make on it. Maybe this is why they are half the price of ADP.

I tried on multiple occasions to get the company to pay the fees but they would not. They also were helpless in dealing with the NC Employment Commission.

Long story short, I saved money by switching but ended up paying more in penalties and interest to the NC Employment Commission. It has been a very bad experience and I am in the process of leaving this company.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use this company. I have been in business for over 13 years and i switched to Gusto Q3 only to have major problems, fees and penalties with the NC Unemployment Commission since.

None over what ADP offered.

Gusto review by Dustin E.
Dustin E.

"Best All-in-One HR Software Available"

What do you like best?

I love all the integration, from allowing Gusto to broker our insurance benefits, to them partnering with companies like Guideline, Gradvisor, and Xero.

What do you dislike?

The inability to create multiple time off policies of the same type. It's made it difficult to add time off like parental leave.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop wasting your time looking at other products and sign up!!

Gusto simplifies and unifies all of our HR needs, and recently us shifting our insurance benefits to Gusto has made everything so efficient.

Gusto review by Lee C.
Lee C.

"Didn't file paystubs or w-2 for entire year"

What do you like best?

They takes care of payroll and employee compensation.

What do you dislike?

They have poor customer service and kept saying 'for security reasons' we can't give you the files you request. And then they recommended I hire a CPA to repeat a job that should have been done by them. Bad form. They made life worse actually, not easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't plan on good customer support. They handle your documents but dont' ensure they get filed properly making it expensive and time consuming to figure out and fix on your own.

Payroll, employee compensation

Gusto review by Eric K.
Eric K.

"NOT compliance experts. "

What do you like best?

Simple interface.

Document tracking (eliminates the need for something like BambooHQ).

What do you dislike?

Does not support Washington State LNI laws/parameters.

Does not support multiple state OT laws (you would need an account for each state, but they only allow you to have 1 account per FEIN)

Does not have built-in time tracking (so you need to contract with another application to do so).

This system is half-baked, at best. For example, an employee can request vacation time, have it approved, take the vacation, and upon return, they can delete their vacation request and have the hours added back to their allotment. I've mentioned this to their team, they have identified it as "loophole that needs to be closed"...but how is this not something they thought of ahead of time? The whole thing feels like they just slapped it together, sold it without actually knowing compliance issues, and then only post "happy" customer reviews on their website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only way Gusto makes sense is if you are NOT located in Washington State AND have only salaried employees.

Still looking for the benefit to switching to Gusto, and dreading having to transition systems again.

We were trying to simplify the system - and run multiple payrolls per month, which Gusto only charges monthly and not based on how many times you run payroll. Our previous system charged per payroll, so moving to Gusto would have saved us money - but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Gusto review by User

"One less thing to remember!"

What do you like best?

I previously used Quickbooks Payroll service and often got confused about which tax liabilities I had paid or filed. Gusto makes it simple by managing everything from distributing paystubs to employees to paying the IRS on time. I also love the customer service! Anytime I have a question I can send a quick email and I get a response quickly.

What do you dislike?

I dislike change so going from something familiar to a new platform took some time but now it is simple. I also have not integrated my hourly payroll with a time clock service. I am not sure if there is one that works with Gusto?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is simple and user friendly. It takes the guess work out of managing payroll.

Payroll and Health Benefits

Gusto review by Ann C.
Ann C.

"Gusto gives me peace of mind"

What do you like best?

Gusto is reliable and responsible in terms of record-keeping, filing, and reports. Gusto is super-easy to use, both for employers and employees. Their customer service is fantastic.

What do you dislike?

I have had no problems using Gusto. Compared to previous services, this is like heaven.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This payroll and benefits service is easy to use and totally trustworthy. Highest recommendation.

Payroll can be automated, yet employees get personalized access to their own records. I trust Gusto to do it right, reliably and on time. And their customer service is great.

Gusto review by Administrator

"Takes off all the headache of running a small business "

What do you like best?

Gusto is very flexible to make changes update wages, and best off all I need to know nothing about taxes, they handle it all!

What do you dislike?

Hmmm, well I never thought of what I don't like, what I really don't like is paying taxes :-) but that has nothing to do with Gusto!

Recommendations to others considering the product

We've researched a lot of other payroll software options and found Gusto as our best fit. It's simple clean and very easy to use! Whenever we run into a question we have their support team that helps us out.

With Gusto I never have to think if of payroll taxes, Its easy to add and remove employees and all the taxes are automatically updated and submitted without us having to be involved.

Gusto review by Jonathan H.
Jonathan H.

"Best payroll solution for starups"

What do you like best?

Clean interface, intuitive, backed by real humans who are helpful and knowledgeable. Receive service in a timely manner, and they almost always have the solution on the first call. Handled all our payroll needs smoothly

What do you dislike?

I use Xero for our accounting, and if there is any weakness in Gusto, it was in matching the various payroll deductions with the relevant Xero fields/accounts. I am not in a position to say if the problem was with Xero or Gusto, and my accountant was able to work around it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I did not use Gusto for Benefits as they were just starting to roll out that service, but I would absolutely try it now based on my experience with the company.

I need to manage payrol for a startup, and was not willing to pay the high cost of PEOs or services like Paychex. Gusto provides a great service at a very fair price.

Gusto review by Sander K.
Sander K.

"Easy step-by-step payroll with great integrations"

What do you like best?

I like how they remind me to do all my tasks, including year-end filings and termination payrolls. They also have good integrations with the other services we use, which makes our workflow very efficient.

What do you dislike?

We have had a couple issues with state payroll taxes being paid on the incorrect date resulting in a small fee. Gusto will take care of the issue, but it was a hassle and resulted in several phone calls and letters being exchanged.

I am solving the hassle of payroll and timekeeping with Gusto's integrations.

Gusto review by Natalie C. W.
Natalie C. W.

"Makes Small Payroll Easy"

What do you like best?

Gusto makes it easy to run payroll, pay contractors, and handle benefits and income tax. The reporting feature is good, and it saves us money on a payroll accountant.

What do you dislike?

We've had some trouble with some state tax things over the years, but nothing huge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to someone at Gusto to see if it meets your specific requirements. It works for what we do, but we're pretty small and easy.

Saving money, streamlining, automating. It's fast and easy. Payroll runs automatically without me doing anything, and it's easy to pay our contractors through Direct Deposit.

Gusto review by User in Wholesale
User in Wholesale

"Horrible & awful"

What do you like best?

nothing. Customer service is awful, online portal doesn't say when or how a paystub was paid - it just says "paystub" and pay period dates, but not the actual pay date or method.

What do you dislike?

HORRENDOUS customer service. I am still waiting to be paid for one day of side work. I am still waiting over a week later for funds that were supposed to paid. When I called customer service one person told me that the funds had been impounded from the payer already, but not sent to me (the payee). I asked why I havent received them yet and got their standard canned answer "contact the payor". This went on for THIRTY FIVE minutes! I finally escalated it to a supervisor who was not able to tell me when or what check # was issued, etc. Nothing. AWFUL! I am not a payor but as a payee, i am VERY unhappy with this service. AND I AM STILL WAITING TO BE PAID.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont bother. they cant even tell you when and how they paid a paycheck. Horrible customer service, a box of rocks would be more helpful than the people I spoke with.

NONE

Gusto review by Shayla N.
Shayla N.

"Great service for payroll"

What do you like best?

The user interface is easy to interact with from an HR admin role and as an employee. From finding pay stubs to dealing with W2s during tax time, Gusto keeps it organized. I found the documents easy to find and the files named in a sensible way. This saves you time when you're hunting down documents, especially when you're preparing for audits. As an HR administrator, the on-boarding process is seamless and easy to update. The customer service is quick and thoughtful.

What do you dislike?

I have thought hard about what I disliked and couldn't come up with something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is perfect if you're looking for a one-stop shop for HR + benefits.

During worker's compensation audits, we needed to retrieve employee data. I was able to find information that I needed for the W2 employees and the exact information without ay struggle.

Gusto review by User

"Gusto gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Simplified UI. Incredibly easy to find necessary tax forms or my pay stub from the website. Additionally I appreciate getting emails letting me know I got paid and having a simplified breakdown of net pay to gross pay.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike with this software. When I need it to work it does, if I need to find something, I can. So overall for my use I'm happy with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've had no problems with Gusto, I recommend it.

How do we pay the employees in a streamlined and efficient manner? The benefits that have been realized is Gusto works and all employees have full faith to get paid when they are supposed to.

Gusto review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"100% satisfied (and tremendous value!)"

What do you like best?

I have 100% confidence that all my payroll issues are covered with Gusto, and it's a great value. They are definitely disrupting the payroll industry and will continue with tremendous success because payroll is just their gateway service to more back-office support to allow businesses to focus on their core competencies.

What do you dislike?

Can't think of anything we don't like about Gusto. Seriously!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give them a try. Unless you need full PEO solutions and instead just need core payroll services, Gusto is the way to go. An I would imagine that they will add additional solutions like PEO, more benefits admin (and sourcing) and employment-related insurance products (EPLI and maybe even E&O and D&O insurance products).

They handle all my payroll with zero friction.

Gusto review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Great 3rd party payroll provider "

What do you like best?

I use this as a 3rd party login to access for financial statement preparation, and there are numerous reports for me to choose from to get the information that I need. And plenty of historical data to access!

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if you could set report options to be remembered, instead of having to start over at the beginning every single report if you are getting multiple months at a time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great payroll provider, keeps historical data that is easy to access.

Client uses third party payroll and does not always send monthly information in a timely manner. This way, I am able to login myself and get the reports without waiting on the client! And Gusto is much more user friendly than other 3rd party payroll systems I've been given access to.

Gusto review by Heidi S.
Heidi S.

"Gusto is the best. They will make you LOVE payroll."

What do you like best?

Your system is EASY, it's an absolute DELIGHT to use, and your email reminders help keep me in the loop to make sure things are getting done...but they're always "don't worry, we've got this handled for you!" Can I tell you how much I LOVE that? Not only is it getting done, YOU are doing it FOR me!

We used to be with Paychex, and every month I felt like i had to relearn how to use their archaic platform just to run payroll for our small (2 person) team. I had to hound them for certain docs, to make sure things were done, and I never fully trusted that things were getting filed correctly (in fact, many times they weren't and I had to late file or scramble to back change things).

With Gusto it's enjoyable to process payroll each month and I have full trust that it's getting done right and on time. I couldn't be more happy, seriously :) You guys are the BEST.

Oh, and not to mention your customer service team rocks - I can get help anytime I need form a real person who's actually knowledgable on the platform!

What do you dislike?

Nothing - it just works and is super easy to use.

It's just easy to use and it just WORKS!

Gusto review by Ace R.
Ace R.

"Absolutely the best on line service provider"

What do you like best?

I am 61 years old, run a small business and while I am not a computer genius, I can generally do most tasks on my own. That being said, I did grow up in a world before computers, the internet, etc. For this reason, it is critical that I be able to TALK with a REAL PERSON - ON THE PHONE. Every time I have called, my question was answered. The Gusto staff is very polite but even more knowledgeable about the product. It is too bad that other companies can't seem to understand that many of us out here need to SPEAK with someone and not chat on-line. Thank you Gusto and thank you for taking the burden of submitting payroll taxes off my plate. What a great service you provide and at a great value

What do you dislike?

none ................................................................................................................................

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it now. We used QuickBooks payroll function before. QB was more expensive and I still had to submit the payroll taxes and quarterly reports to the feds. Now all is done by Gusto.

Not having to worry about submitting payroll, workman's comp, etc., has relieved a lot of time and stress.

Gusto review by Sarah G.
Sarah G.

"Simple to Use and Cost Effective"

What do you like best?

User-friendly for both employers and employees, notifies employees when they have been paid

Online chat support is great - I have reached out several times and had answers within minutes

We have really been able to streamline our payroll since switching to Gusto, and what used to take several hours now takes less than one - and it's cheaper, too

What do you dislike?

Implementation phase could have been better. It would have been nice to have a point-by-point timeline for what was going to happen, as well as information on what I'd need to provide/input vs. what Gusto would input into the system. It all got set up just fine, but I thought it was going to be totally off my hands and actually ended up needing to do some of the legwork myself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to do a little of the implementation yourself, and take advantage of the online help systems - chat and how-to articles

Less overall time, effort, and money spent on running payroll

Better transparency for employees - the online interface makes it easy for them to access paystubs and other documents

Taxes, deductions, etc. are all taken care of and out of my hair

Gusto review by Debbie G.
Debbie G.

"Outstanding Service!!!"

What do you like best?

The things I like best about Gusto Payroll Service and it Free's up my time and it is so easy to use. I love knowing that all aspects of my payroll are being taken care of.

What do you dislike?

I really haven't found anything that I am unhappy with or dislike about Gusto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a payroll service Gusto is for you!

Making sure that all aspects of out payroll are being handled in a timely manner.

Gusto review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"A sad excuse for a payroll service."

What do you like best?

It was cheap and their support got us setup quickly, unfortunately they set it up incorrectly...

What do you dislike?

Their support is terrible. They're always asking you to hop in some queue and wait for some indefinite amount of time. The failed to correct incorrect filings with the tax authorities (with over 2 years of prodding), resulting in a lien against our business which we ultimately had to resolve ourselves at our own expense.

It takes months to get them to issue corrected 1099s.

Their online software is a pain to navigate and actually work with when doing any sort of reconciliation as are the formats of their exported files.

The integration with our accounting system (Xero) worked very poorly so we had to book much of our payroll manually leading to duplicate data input in our payments workflow.

They don't support wire transfers or international payments.

I wish we had never tried them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just don't... It seems easy and has promise at first, but the moment there is a bump in the road the wheels come off. They you just find yourself in queue after queue. You'll spend more time dealing with their support than you would have spent doing it yourself.

Initially we were looking for a central place to manage payments to employees, contractors, and owners both domestically and internationally.

We realized little or no benefit over using the payroll package in our accounting software, issuing payments through our banks ACH/Wires platforms, and doing tax filings ourselves.

Gusto review by User in Computer Software

"Very Good Payroll Solution "

What do you like best?

It is basic and not overly complicated. I am only a user and they have been nothing but helpful. Their UI is easy to understand unlike ADP was.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have a dislike. The Admin might have some because he is the one to set it up but from a user standpoint I have no complaints

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a software that plays nice with other software's then this is a great place to look.

It allows my boss to easily submit or adjust payroll with little to no effort. It was very easy to login with Gusto. I feel like with ADP I could never access my payroll info.

Gusto review by Shelly R.
Shelly R.

"Fast, easy, reliable"

What do you like best?

I love the auto-pilot feature. Set up salaried employees once each year and that's it. Has enough features to manage PTO and the taxes, without clutter.

What do you dislike?

I'd like a re-designed Partner Dashboard, I don't find the current one useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Employee self-onboarding saves a lot of time, don't waste yours!

Employee self-onboarding saves a lot of my time plus it works and looks great. My clients are very happy.

Gusto review by Kevin G.
Kevin G.

"A great payroll and benefit service platform."

What do you like best?

I love how easy the system is to use for my company and the employees. All of my payroll and benefits are on one login.

What do you dislike?

It took a long time to get my company enrolled in benefits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This system has great competitive rates, but the best attribute of this system is how easy it is to use for employer and employee.

intergrating the payroll and benefits onto one service.

Gusto review by Nate M.
Nate M.

"Super Easy Payroll that Allows Employees to Manage All Their Details on Their Own"

What do you like best?

Super easy to set up and get running, takes care of all the finances and enabled the employees to manage what they need without having to request the payroll team to process it.

What do you dislike?

If you've worked at multiple companies, it's tricky to go between them or select which one is loaded first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its an easy option to get your payroll up and running without a lot of effort. Totally worth the cost so you can focus your work on other important tasks

Solving for Payroll, really works super well for managing payroll and would recommend it to anyone that s setting up payroll that may or may not have experience processing payroll.

Gusto review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"Easy way to get paid for freelance or contracted work"

What do you like best?

With other freelance or contracted work, it's difficult to keep track of payments; whether you're paid through concrete checks, PayPal, or another source, getting together a quick itemized amount for things like apartment applications or other financial services can be frustrating. With Gusto, there's an easy way to look at YTD payments, amount paid per pay period, and invoices.

What do you dislike?

There isn't a way to create invoices. While PayPal can be tough for YTD and overview services, the invoice creation part of that particular service is incredibly useful for future itemization and overview of services. Gusto lacks the ability to create an invoice in the website (that I've seen), leaving contractors forced to either create Google Doc invoices (unreliable and messy) or use another way to keep track of what you're being paid for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a way to manage small business or largely freelance/contract payroll, this is the way to go. With a direct deposit feature, it's a quick and efficient way to pay. The only downside is the lack of an invoice creation feature, which limits certain levels of efficiency.

The ability to be paid quickly, efficiently, and in an organized manner for contracted work. The direct deposit feature is one of the most beneficial; there's no 3-5 day delay like there can be with things like PayPal or Venmo, and there's no transaction fee or limit for payments.

Gusto review by Ali K.
Ali K.

"Amazon Payroll Provider"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and they do all the heavy lifting. Just add your employees, connect your bank, pay, and Gusto will do all the paperwork.

What do you dislike?

No huge complaints. A little annoying that you have to submit separate payrolls for contractors and employees, but not a big deal and make sense why.

Streamlines paying employees and contractors.

Gusto review by TeLeigh M.
TeLeigh M.

"I think Gusto is such a fun way to get pay statements"

What do you like best?

I absolutely loved getting emails from Gusto. Whenever you get paid, it sends you a statement telling you something ridiculous that you could spend your paycheck on. For example: "With your paycheck, you could buy 4,098,783 single M&M's." I thought signing up was really easy too.

What do you dislike?

it did seem a little pricey per employee at first, but once you don't have to spend any time doing anything else with it, it's actually worth it.

W-2s were automatically sent to the employees before the end of January. This service takes all of the hassle out of HR and Financial tasks.

Gusto review by David C.
David C.

"Easy, intuitive and fun"

What do you like best?

I actually enjoy using HR software, who knew. Easy and fast to find paychecks, update preferences and know 'jargon'. I actually understand what everyhing means

What do you dislike?

It is continuing to get more robust in the benefits sector, which we currently don't use but would like to migrate over to

A small company who was looking for an easy way to untangle the very difficult world of Payroll

Gusto review by Rebecca H.
Rebecca H.

"Best small business solution!!!!! "

What do you like best?

I love how easy Gusto is to use and the low price point works for small companies with few employees and as you scale! It also makes adding benefits super easy!

What do you dislike?

When you refer people it takes a while to get your referral bonus--but that's all I can think of in terms of "dislike" it's a great service!

HR, Payroll, Compliance. More time, less issues!

Gusto review by Kyle H.
Kyle H.

"The best payroll company!"

What do you like best?

Unlimited payroll runs, on and off cycle

What do you dislike?

Voluntary benefits withdrawals come out of check every time payroll is run, even if it is off-cycle. That needs to be fixed.

Gusto allows us to keep up with all of our HR documentation and offers flexibility with payroll runs. We can run payroll as many times as we need, which is extremely helpful for commission payments.

Gusto review by Kelvin L.
Kelvin L.

"STAY AWAY! poor support, nice looking, flawed in very basic ways, concerns about accuracy/compliance"

What do you like best?

User friendly design, concepts, integrations

What do you dislike?

Poor UI/UX execution, integration with deputy stopped working and support could not be reached and did not call me back in a timely manner. Suddenly deputy stopped showing up on their page of "integrations."

The main problem here is that they break things that worked perfectly fine before. Like the Deputy integration. I don't do payroll for several months out of the year so I was surprised to find when I started running it again, that deputy wouldn't export timesheets to Zen/Gusto.

Then, there are the little quirks that will waste massive amounts of your time and drive you crazy. Like when I setup certain employees originally I was able to add a "paycheck tips" field to each one. Then they made it so that you could not leave the field zero, it had to be greater than zero, which is a completely stupid requirement, but in any case, for one of my employees I made it $0.01 and then when I ran the payroll I would change it to the right amount. However, the previously setup employees did not require that. Then, now, I'm trying to add a new employee, and I am forced to do this stupid $0.01 trick and I can't edit the amount when I run payroll. I'm supposed to have FIXED paycheck tips every single time??? This is just idiotic. There is a very clear pattern of poor testing of feature additions/changes. For a payroll system software that doesn't really ned to be improved constantly it is aggravating that they keep tweaking things for no reason.

Now, I'm trying to find reports to see my tax forms and I can't find them because they've changed all the wording of things to make them sound cool or "user-friendly" or whatever they're thinking. So I click "stay compliant" which is where you can find filed forms and I don't see any state tax documents. I go to the "tax payments" box which is hidden in a very strange way at the bottom of a page unrelated to a menu at all, and I see that tax payments have been made to the state, but I can't see how they calculated them or exactly what form was filed.

If you want to waste a lot of time and pay more than a lot of other payroll vendors then go with Gusto. They are trying to be Zenefits and screwing up their core business in the process. Zenefits now has a free payroll option so conveniently it's the end of the year and I think it's time to get rid of Gusto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gusto is good for companies where everyone is salaried and there are little to no changes to payroll from one period to the next as they have features that allow you to run payroll without having to think about it too much. For now, I'm going to try something else because their support hasn't been very good, and the very strange changes they have made have broken things that previously worked just fine.

integrated with Deputy, employee self-onboarding feature was nice, easy to run payrolls, auto-syncs with Xero

Gusto review by Mac K.
Mac K.

"Intuitive and friendly way to track money and paychecks!"

What do you like best?

I love the interface, and how seamless the navigation is. Easily navigating from page to page, while also being pleasant on the eyes is quite nice.

What do you dislike?

They don't include expenses or commuter benefits yet. I think once this is implemented it will be pretty good

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really fun, humanized way to manage payroll. From an employee standpoint, it's quite nice to use.

Tracking company wide payroll. Personally, I'm able to see my paychecks and understand the breakdown.

Gusto review by Aaron M.
Aaron M.

"Very poor experience with customer service"

What do you like best?

Core product works ok; delivers payroll services

What do you dislike?

They really sucked when it came to resolving problems. Payroll services matter a great deal. They screwed up my payments to the state, and were slow to resolve those issues - they had a lot of confusing communication and tried to make it seem like it was my fault, when they'd messed up a simple number.

Then when I went to cancel they kept charging me, insisting that their terms of service gave them 30 days to keep billing, even tho it said "unless terminated for cause" - they said that their "definition of cause was different" than mine, even tho the word is not defined in their services agreement.

it's a payroll service, wouldn't trust it.

Gusto review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Streamlined and easy benefits"

What do you like best?

I appreciate how clear the website is and how easy it is to navigate. The layout is streamlined but doesn't feel like it's missing any critical components. The features used most often (sick leave, PTO, etc) are a dream to use from web or from mobile.

What do you dislike?

My company's change between insurance companies seemed difficult to transition between. I needed to reach out to support to manage the change adequately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a company that doesn't have an HR department, Gusto is the answer.

Given the size of our company, having Gusto manage our benefits and insurance makes a big difference to our productivity.

Gusto review by Lauri P.
Lauri P.

"Rough start but it keeps getting better."

What do you like best?

One flat fee per month no matter how many times you run payroll and you can use it to pay independent contractors as well. No extra cost for direct deposit, W-2s or 1099s at the end of the year.

What do you dislike?

Very long lead time necessary for direct deposit unless you keep an "escrow" amount set aside, it can be hard on cash flow for a small business to have to leave that much money in their account and not be able to use it. As of right now you cannot see a total payroll cost until you actually process the payroll, so if you need to know the total cost ahead of time you have to actually process the payroll, get your amount, and then cancel the payroll. They are actually working on a preview feature that might be rolled out in the near future that will help with this. We also had quite a bit of trouble with some local payroll taxes the first year and it was difficult to get them to address the issue, in fact I had to contact support numerous times and raise quite fuss before it was addressed properly, but once they did address it, it was all corrected and we haven't had any problems since then.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that they have been live in your state for a while before you start with them as when I first started with them they had just gone live in my state and they got the local payroll taxes wrong for half of the first year. Once they worked that out I haven't had any problems. Also make sure that you have the cash flow to either have a 4-day lead time or set aside the amount they require in order to only have a 2-day lead time. I've had several of my clients choose a more expensive solution because they didn't want such a long lead time and didn't want to have to set money aside.

It takes less time to run payroll and I don't have to worry about filing the payroll tax returns myself as they take care of that for me.

Gusto review by Matt J.
Matt J.

"Best for its price "

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and the dependable customer service.

What do you dislike?

we need heath plans!!! this is the only reason I've considered switching to a different company.

I save time and the feeling of knowing you have professionals filing the tax information is a relief sometimes because those areas of being a small business owner can be difficult.

Gusto review by Julie D.
Julie D.

"Great for a small business "

What do you like best?

I like how user friendly Gusto is. It's very easy to run payroll at the end of each week. It's also affordable for a small business owner.

What do you dislike?

I can't say I dislike anything. It's very easy to use and quite affordable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Gusto to my tax clients who are starting businesses.

I have not had to try to learn how to do payroll myself and I also am not having to outsource to a large payroll company. I run payroll easily by logging into my account, entering my employees' hours and submit it. Simple.

Gusto review by Paul M.
Paul M.

"Best UX yet"

What do you like best?

Ease of use.

I set up payroll in 15 minutes, including a call with the help line!

I had put a wrong State ID number in and couldn't edit it. I called the help line, they answered it in one ring, quickly exposed the edit functionality to me and I was able to finish up payroll set-up.

Now I spend less than 5 minutes a month on payroll.

What do you dislike?

I've been using it 9 months and so haven't been through a year close. No issues yet, will be finding out how smoothly that goes and if I really won't have to spend any time with tax entities.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You'll find out very quickly if it fits what you need because it is easy to use.

Minimize time and expense on accounting so we can focus our resources on making our product better and our customers happy.

Gusto review by Laurie T.
Laurie T.

"I go for Gusto"

What do you like best?

It automates most of the HR functions when on boarding new employees. Handles payroll seamlessly and is able to adjust for unique situations.

What do you dislike?

Support is good but not immediate. It can sometimes take a day or more to answer a complicated question. The firstline support can't always answer what you need then you have to wait.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Payroll is a breeze. This is super helpful to small companies with on boarding of new employees. Gusto knows what you need to have to stay in compliance.

Streamlines on board process. Documents required forms.

Gusto review by Jeremiah B.
Jeremiah B.

"My time is my own again!"

What do you like best?

The ease of running payroll and tax filings. Having Gusto's help has given me hours back every month.

What do you dislike?

I invited my CPA to view, but he got inundated with emails and asked me to remove his view permissions.

Payroll and tax filings! I have saved so much time and haven't missed a deadline.

Gusto review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Helpful & intuitive Payroll Platform "

What do you like best?

The platform is so intuitive - the dashboard is clear. I can always quickly find whatever I need, be that requesting time off, understanding my benefits, or downloading pay stubs. I'm never on the platform for more than 3-5 minutes at a time, because I can find everything I need that quickly.

What do you dislike?

Since the switch from ZenPayroll to Gusto, we haven't had any issues. There was one week where there was a glitch in the system, so we were paid Monday instead of Friday, but that only happened once.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great platform, gets rid of the usual dread in dealing with anything payroll, HR or benefits related. Allows employees to have a more connected understanding, and keeps everything centralized and organized for everyone.

We're making it easier for us to get commissions and bonuses in. It also makes it easier for us to request time off, and manage our benefits and time off as a small company without a Payroll or HR administrator.

Gusto review by User in Financial Services

"Highly unreliable, Service is abysmal."

What do you like best?

User interface was easy to use. That's what drew me to use them in the first place.

What do you dislike?

They actually did a great job for a while then all of a sudden stopped paying my Nevada unemployment tax. Called technical support. They acknowledged the problem, let me know that they have no idea why it's occurring, and showed absolutely no interest in fixing it. The best they could do is perhaps look at the issue in "a few weeks."

I'm running an S-Corp with a single employee. If Gusto can't competently handle payroll for a single employee company, I can't begin to imagine the struggles they'll encounter with a larger firm.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Failed to pay necessary taxes and are unable to determine the source of the problem. There's currently a multi-week backlog to even look at my case which leads me to believe that there are plenty of other customers experiencing issues.

Was hoping to use Gusto as my payroll company.

Gusto review by User in Civic & Social Organization
User in Civic & Social Organization

"Makes Keeping Track of Paychecks a Breeze"

What do you like best?

Love that this allows me to keep track of all my pay-stubs and hours worked. Also love that it keeps all my tax information on file and that allows me to easily give to charity. Will make things a breeze come tax season.

What do you dislike?

Nothing I dislike, but I wish they would add a feature so you could somehow process company reimbursements through the same platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely would recommend to others! Makes keeping track of all your payments incredibly easy!

Solving easy tracking of employee payments.

Gusto review by Administrator in Farming
Administrator in Farming

"Best payroll for small startups"

What do you like best?

The dead-simple payroll processing is a lifesaver for small business owners like me.

What do you dislike?

3 annoyances: Gusto holds payroll funds for 7 days. Quickbooks integration does not easily break out teams cleanly, nor reimbursements vs payroll, so my accounting firm has to manually sort it out each month. If it integrated with Expensify so that my line item reimbursements could go into the right category in Quickbooks, that would be great.

Payroll, new hires, and 1099 filing is so simple, saves so many hours of time.

Gusto review by Administrator in Executive Office
Administrator in Executive Office

"A company that is going down hill fast"

What do you like best?

If you can find a phone number for Gusto and speak to someone on the phone, the people are vey polite, pleasant to talk to and very willing to help. This is a stark contrast to other payroll providers I've worked with

What do you dislike?

After 18 months with Gusto I had my first tax related issue. Gusto underpaid a tax and did not tell me about it. I received a collections notice from the tax agency and immediately submitted it to Gusto. Gusto does everything by email, which means you can't get someone on the tax department on the phone. Over the next month I followed up with Gusto several times. Emails were not returned same day and the email responses were usually vague (We are still investigating... We will have an answer for you by the end of the week). When I called to speak to the person working on the case, that person was always away from their desk.

4 weeks later the issue was still not resolved and I was charged another months penalties and interest. At this point my companies relationship with the tax authority was at risk, so I paid the tax authority directly for the underpayment.

Gusto ultimately tried to "fix" the underpayment by issuing a fraudulent tax amendment to the tax authority. When I told Gusto that the amendment was not correct based on employee time sheets Gusto stopped emailing me. I had to revoke Gusto's authority directly with the tax authority in order to prevent the fraudulent amendment form being processed.

Gusto only offered a $15 credit on my next bill to offset the penalty and interest charges. The $15 was not sufficient to cover penalties and interest and as a credit it would go unused as I will no longer be running payroll with Gusto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've recommend SurePayroll over Gusto. It is better to deal with rude first level support reps than the issues seen with Gusto. Gusto's tax experts are not knowledgeable, slow to resolve issues and lack integrity.

Online payroll processing for a company with less than 5 employees. Employee self onboarding is a nice feature.

The tax department lacks integrity.

Support phone numbers are not provided on the website and have recently been removed from Gusto email signatures.

Gusto review by Brittany P.
Brittany P.

"Gusto makes direct deposit a breeze!"

What do you like best?

I work remotely and was able to sign up for an account with gusto in under 10 minutes! I have never had any issues and they site is very easy to use. Out of all my clients, this payment method works the best!

What do you dislike?

An invoicing option would be helpful, but there isn't anything that I don't like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend this product to other users! It is so simple and easy to use!

Gusto allows for stress-free direct deposits between me and my employer.

Gusto review by David H.
David H.

"Great service with improving features"

What do you like best?

Setup is a breeze. The interface is easy on the eyes and easy to navigate. Customer service can sometimes be hard to get a hold of, but when I get them on the phone, they are always nice and eager to please. They are continually making it better, as evidenced by the recent 2-day payroll roll-out. They really make payroll as easy as it can be! Nice integration with Zenefits.

What do you dislike?

It works best for direct deposit employees. For employees requiring a check, they have no print/delivery option, which means payday can still be a bit of a pain if you have a lot of employees receiving checks. I wish there was a bit more PTO policy customization.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get as many of your employees on direct deposit as possible.

I'm co-owner of a restaurant and have responsibilities for 3 other companies as well. Time is hard to come by and Zenpayroll helps me by making payroll as simple as it can be. I don't have to worry about giving paystubs or W-2's since they take care of it. They take care of all necessary filings. They have made my life easier and I'm grateful I found Zenpayroll.

Gusto review by Administrator

"Easy to use for non-traditional payrolls"

What do you like best?

As a small dance company which pays dancers at different rates depending upon the work that week (teaching, touring, rehearsing, etc), Gusto is very easy to adapt and use. And, when I have a question about a particular instance, customer service is very helpful.

What do you dislike?

The 4-day advance for payment as we have an up-and-down cash flow situation. However, when I had to do a rush payroll, I was able to get a one-time waiver as we had a large cushion in our checking account at the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a small business, they are very accommodating and right-sized to a flexible employee set-up.

Multiple pay rates for each employee. Customer service very helpful for a small business without a professional HR staff.

Gusto review by cynthia j.
cynthia j.

"Fantastic headache and time saver!"

What do you like best?

Gusto makes payroll fun! Really. What? Yes. Just click a button and everyone gets paid. And I get reports when I need them easily. I don't have to figure anything out. And their customer service is always helpful and accessible. What more could want from any service, especially doing something as complicated as Payroll! Do yourself a favor and save yourself from unnecessary aggravation. It's worth it!

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I don't like about Gusto!

Saving time, and getting the payroll exactly perfect.

Gusto review by Holly R.
Holly R.

"Gusto solved my payroll issues"

What do you like best?

So easy to use, customer service is the best

What do you dislike?

Had a brief issue with finding reports but it was resolved quickly and easily

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would try it out and ask questions to the support team if you have any.

Affordable payroll and major time saver

Gusto review by Allison W.
Allison W.

"Completely hands off"

What do you like best?

I like that Gusto just runs on auto pilot.

What do you dislike?

They keep changing their integration methods with Quickbooks, so I have to keep reading about the changes and how to implement.

I can run payroll without lifting a single finger. I do not have to worry about filing any forms.

Gusto review by Paul P.
Paul P.

"Best payroll option available for small businesses"

What do you like best?

While pretty much everything about ZenPayroll is excellent, I think the ability to automatically donate to organizations (charitable or not) from your paycheck is my favorite feature. I'm able to donate to a few groups twice/month without ever having to think about it. ZenPayroll has everything you need in-app to find the ID number of the organization you're trying to donate to, and setting up recurring donations is a breeze. The donation comes straight out of your paycheck so you never miss it in the first place (makes it way easier for me to wrap my head around giving money on a regular basis), and because it happens so frequently, even really small donations add up over the course of a year. Plus, ZenPayroll will collect and complete all of the paperwork you need to properly file your taxes at the end of the year.

What do you dislike?

I suppose the drawback of automating charitable donations every two weeks is that it creates additional paperwork and hassle for the organization receiving the donations. E.g., it's easier for an organization to process one donation for $100 every year, than 20 donations for $5. So if there were some way to take the money out every two weeks, but only send to the organization in a lump sum, it would be easier for the people handling accounting.

Other than that, the actual core functionality of ZenPayroll (i.e., payroll) is excellent and I have no complaints whatsoever.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! It gets the job done very well, the interface is excellent, and it makes it so easy to donate to charity. I can't think of any drawbacks.

We use ZenPayroll to facilitate our company's payroll. There are only about 25 employees at our company so this makes much more sense than a traditional payroll system. We get paid reliably, and easily via direct deposit, and we always know when our next paycheck is coming.

Gusto review by Jasmine B.
Jasmine B.

"A real partner"

What do you like best?

Peace of mind. Corporate taxes are so convoluted, but Gusto has systematized the whole process to be easy. Customer service is amazing and they feel like a true partner in managing my business.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. They have always been responsive.

Huge reduction in time wasted.

Gusto review by Yvo B.
Yvo B.

"Very user friendly and great pricing"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. We came from Paychex, what a difference. I assume that Paychex might have features useful to very large companies. For smaller companies try out Gusto.

What do you dislike?

I would not know. There isn't much to dislike, really.

Making payroll easy, inlcuding on-boarding of new employees.

Gusto review by Elisa S.
Elisa S.

"I love Gusto!'n"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to file all of the necessary paperwork. On this app, they tell you and provide exactly what you need and you can electronically sign all of the documents.

I love how easy and user friendly this web app is. It has great tips and explanations for everything to help you understand every little thing.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is that it takes a week to process the payroll once you've run it. Not a big drawback, but I have heard of some that process in 24 hours.

Gusto takes care of my employee taxes, so I don't have to calculate them and files all of the paperwork with the state and IRS. I have realized how easy it is to add extra federal tax withholding for individual employees, which has been very helpful.