Handbrake

A tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs

Work for Handbrake?

Learning about Handbrake?

Handbrake Reviews

Showing 62 Handbrake reviews
Handbrake review by <span>Marcos G.</span>
Marcos G.

a tool that any modern video editor can not miss!!

What do you like best?

Its simplicity and its results.... with only 3 or 4 clicks you can reduce the size of any video file to half or better (in most cases)... You just have to select your source video... select the output folder and hit "start" thats it... By default it auto transcodes your video into an HD .mp4 file... but if you want to get all pro, you can edit the advanced settings...

What do you dislike?

It has a lot of options that I have never ever used, and some (way too) pro for me, but probably somebody likes them

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gei it!! Its free... To give you an idea, theres is no video created by us and uploaded to the web thas HASN'T pass trough handbrake before...

We create a lot of educational content for the web. Some of those videos turn out to be quite heavy, wich makes it difficult to upload, store and play them online... But thanks to Handbrake we can convert them to .mp4 and loose much of that weight without loosing any quality on our videos... Reduce a couple hundred Mb into just a few...

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Handbrake
Handbrake review by <span>Mirella C.</span>
Mirella C.

Good free tool for your video

What do you like best?

One of the best thing is that Handbrake it's free to download. You can use it as it is or use all the advanced controls that the interface provides you. It is also useful if you want to work on blurays. The presets for the different devices and formats are always good if you do not know how to move in the interface.

What do you dislike?

The interface is really difficult. I had to watch many tutorials online to understand how to move the first steps. Also the graphic composition of the interface is really confusing. I've also to underline the fact that sometimes to convert files will take sooooo long.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is the only software I've ever used to manage my conversions. So I really do not know if out there you can find something better. For me and my work it does what I need. Test it. It's free.

I use Handbrake because it allows me to share different videos on different devices. In a click I can create a version for the different devices so I can have previews of videos for clients.

What Other Video solution do you use?

Handbrake review by <span>Fernando Héctor M.</span>
Fernando Héctor M.

Useful little tool for reducing video file size

What do you like best?

I like how effective it is reducing the file size of videos as how fast it can be when you need to quickly convert them to use in social media. The variety of tools make it easy to work with, and you can easily use presets to make the process faster.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the extremely outdated interface, which makes the batch conversion a pain to work with. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the software as it is available for free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a nice software when you quickly want to reduce the file size of videos without highly compromising the image quality, and it is better than some paid software despite of being free. I only wish the interface was better as it is highly outdated, but it is still easy to use.

I have been using Handbrake to re-encode videos as it allows to further compress videos giving a lower file size while keeping the image quality in overall, making it faster to upload online. I also use this software to encode videos for Twitter, as the site can be a little picky for the videos when uploaded.

Handbrake review by <span>Thomas P.</span>
Thomas P.

Great option for easily compressing videos

What do you like best?

I like the different optimization features when exporting videos, the ease of using presets and the availability of options. While compressed videos are hard to further reduce the file size, it is highly effective when it comes to projects that need to be uploaded.

What do you dislike?

When it comes to Handbrake, one of the biggest issues I disliked is the outdated interface, making the batch options annoying to use and annoying to make new presets. The rendering options can be a little slow sometimes, but I guess that is to expect from a software that is still in development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When it comes to compressing video files, Handbrake is one of the most complete options available for free. While it does lack some features compared to paid solutions, it does bring content to the table which is often lacking. Even if it is something simple like uploading a video to a website, this is a highly useful tool that will often save a headache in the process.

I have been able to compress the file size of videos which help me sending projects and drafts to client faster, reducing the time not of the upload process from our side but also the download from their side.

Handbrake review by <span>Francesco M.</span>
Francesco M.

Handbrake to convert your video files

What do you like best?

One of the biggest thing about Handbrake is that the software is completely free and open source. You have a complete interface, with many options that give the user advanced controls over the converting procession, so the needs can be easily reached. The software is also good for working on Blu Ray format and in the huge list of presets there is a good part dedicated to iOS and Android devices.

What do you dislike?

Even if it offers you tons of controls and tools for your video, Handbrake can be confusing and challenging for a novice. Unfortunely the software can't handle protections on DVD or BluRay... So you can't work with them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

With Hanbrake you can have complete control over your videos. Can be a little challenging at the beginning to understand how to use, but I think that thanks to its complete tools still remain the best software out there.

I use Handbrake to keep my archive light, archiving in a more tiny format all the videos that I've to put aside in the archive. Sometimes it can be slow to work on, but I find that this is the best software out there.

Handbrake review by <span>Matthew Z.</span>
Matthew Z.

Fantastic open-source solution for video conversion

What do you like best?

Open-source based! This has a great combination of cost (free) and sharing community. Feature packed and many presets that allow for many solutions. This is great software for converting and / or down sizing video clips. While every things touts high-def today, you don't necessarily need HD when uploading to a website or forwarding to a customer.

What do you dislike?

Being open-source - you are on your own for support. There isn't a tech department waiting for your phone call. If you have a problem or question, you need to do your own research online. This works for those who are computer literate, but less experienced users might need help.

design is a little antiquated - looks a little last gen or so. But this is splitting hairs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give yourself time to learn, find a good online wiki, in person teacher, or other source of direction.

Resizing videos for customer review and posting online. It saves alot of frustration to down size a 1+GB HD video that could easily take hours over a mobile connection or take up alot of web space to something more manageable.

Learning about Handbrake?

* We monitor all Handbrake reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.