Harmony

Two-time Emmy Award winner, Toon Booms award-winning software is the global standard for 2D animation and storyboarding.

Work for Harmony?

Learning about Harmony?

Harmony Reviews

Ask Harmony a Question
Showing 11 Harmony reviews
Harmony review by User

"Essential tool for character animators."

What do you like best?

Unlike After Effects and Flash, Harmony was designed not just with character animators in mind, but specifically character animators working on serial projects, who will need to reuse assets over and over again. It's the ultimate vector animation software package (though, yes, the newest versions do include raster brushes). The color process is infinitely better than Flash and Photoshop. You can create palettes for scenes and the color filled areas are linked to those palettes. Update the palette, and every instance of that color is also updated. This saves a massive amount of time (vs. animating in Photoshop using AnimDessin and AnimCouleur extensions). Harmony is also accessible to learn in a self-guided context -- the training material on the Toon Boom website is deep, and well written. If you're new to Harmony, you can learn the basics in about a month of working through the material.

What do you dislike?

The raster brushes are decent, but sometimes I do miss my Photoshop brushes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you set up palettes before applying colors. That way you can update them dynamically when you make changes later.

You will save so much time animating in Harmony vs. using DUIK or Rubberhose rigs in After Effects. It's just way more efficient.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Harmony
Harmony review by Bobby F.
Bobby F.

"Excellent Software for Hand-Drawn and Cut-Out Animation"

What do you like best?

Harmony's versatile toolset is extremely beneficial to all. It works with Storyboard Pro, allowing you for about 80% of the animation pipeline to occur within the two programs. It's rigging/cut-out animation tools are high above all others, also!

What do you dislike?

I'm not too keen on the way that Harmony's brushes work out of the box. It takes a lot to make them look more natural, in my experience. Unfortunately, the more textures you add up, the more resource-heavy your file will become. On older systems, you may notice some lag while animating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely give Harmony a shot! It's a fantastic program with such a large amount of features. I'd recommend checking out their YouTube channel, forums and webinars - you're bound to find a ton of help there!

As stated before, working with Harmony in conjunction with Storyboard Pro solves the pipeline problem. You can export from SBP right into Harmony, and work right over and with your finished animatic. The added benefit of full compositing and exporting from Harmony is also fantastic, although better suited for smaller projects.

What Animation solution do you use?

Harmony review by Adela C.
Adela C.

"A very complete, intuitive and powerful tool"

What do you like best?

I had no previous experience with Toon Boom Harmony when I began to work on a project (Pig, Boat, Banana, Cricket for Nickeledeon), and it was very intuitive and easy to learn. It has many characteristics a classic animator, who learned to animate on pencil and paper, appreciate, and at the same time it has similarities and characteristics of a 3D animation software, like Maya.

What do you dislike?

Character builds can get very complicated to use and make, and at the same time there are features a 3D animator would expect on a rig that cannot be achieved on a 2D rig.

The thing I dislike the most about Harmony is the price: it is too expensive for an independent animator out of the industry to consider, but I still thing it is definitely worth it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the price of Harmony is not an issue it should be seriously considered, as it is currently an industry standard for the animation industry of TV series, and even movies.

Toon Boom harmony gives the animator more flexibility and tools to work, compared to other tools, and can therefore increase the overall quality of the project without sacrificing much speed.

This program also eases the job of the coloring team, with tools as simple as closing gaps, can save hours of work.

Harmony review by Nathanial H.
Nathanial H.

"Best software to use for animation hands down!"

What do you like best?

When I first started college we created our animations in flash. A few years later we were introduced to Harmony and I can not even begin to tell you how much better it is using Harmony. I also have experience doing traditional pencil and paper animations and this is the tool that every animator should be using. It's fairly easy to learn the basics to be able to start animating.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say it's a dislike but there is a pretty decent learning curve, which is understandable because it is a powerful tool, loaded with features. As long as you keep that in mind when you purchase it, you will be fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As long as you are willing to put in the time to learn the features of the software you will not be disappointed.

We use this software a lot when we are creating animations for motion graphics. Instead of trying to do everything is after effects we will do the more advanced animations in Harmony and composite them in with the project.

Harmony review by Chelsea Rae C.
Chelsea Rae C.

"Extremely user friendly, and very versatile. "

What do you like best?

The node View (Network View). I love being able to see my puppet organized visually without having to sift through all the hundreds of layers my complex character may have.

What do you dislike?

I wish ToonBoom had a way to organize projects and scenes in the way that After Effects does, with multiple comps. I know that the node preview would to an extent, but for example my day job requires us to animate courses for online classes, and we can organize the entire course (lessons 1-5) via after effects in a single project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are great with character animation, I recommend this over After Effects. Same basic functions, but faster render times.

I can do character animation much faster than I can in after effects. After effects has to do a render preview before each playback, and toonboom doesn't, which makes animating go by much faster and more efficiently. I pitched this program to my day job, and they agreed to download it to my work computer for our next project.

Harmony review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"Not Always Easy, But Incredibly Useful"

What do you like best?

Harmony is fantastic for seeing the bare bones of the animation process and putting it in action. It’s incredibly easy to play back movement and export information.

What do you dislike?

Harmony does not make file-sharing easy. Especially with a program like Storyboard Pro where numerous people touch one file, it would be much more beneficial if there was a way for multiple people to view a file but only one with the ability to “check it out” (and edit) at a time. None of the programs are inherently intuitive.

It’s much easier to move along and edit storyboards rather than relying on one or two individuals to maintain a collection of PSDs and PDFs. We value the option to view the entirety of a board in an editable workspace.

Harmony review by Eduardo E. O.
Eduardo E. O.

"Nice, Faster & Beautiful Animations."

What do you like best?

Clear and well thought out tools , the production process is very simple, efficient and effective , I'm starting to make my project and I hope to make the most of the qualities of this software.

I had never used this program, only it had been working with Flash and I have to say that the difference is noticeable.

What do you dislike?

Almost nothing is certain that needs adjustments in some of its software tools but, its quite practical with almost everything you need to make animations with a very good quality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give him a try, practice.

Creative, Animation process. The benefits: Much Faster and easy workflow.

Harmony review by Julia D.
Julia D.

"Love it "

What do you like best?

Harmony has so many different options for character animation. I love how convenient it is to color things in and not have to waste so much time.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was alittle more user friendly. Even watching tutorials I still get confused on some of the options.

How much time I save from coloring every thing in.

Harmony review by Alex B.
Alex B.

"Best professional quality animation software"

What do you like best?

Rig animations look super polished and clean and very traditional-like

What do you dislike?

Can be tricky to use unless you have a Harmony expert by your side.

Large scenes can start to lag the software. Can work around it if you import better/less large files

Harmony review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"Great for 2D animation"

What do you like best?

At Michigan State, they offered a semester-long course on this program. Although I'm no pro, if anyone is serious about animation, this is the program to use.

What do you dislike?

Tedious to learn, but that's like every program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're serious about animation and willing to put in a bit of learning time, this is your program. You do not need to illustrate in harmony. You could make your characters in Illustrator or Photoshop and just bring them into harmony. This is an AMAZING feature.

2D animation

Harmony review by User in Construction
User in Construction

"Toonboom"

What do you like best?

This program has proven its value. It she assign mouth shapes. It is a strong full production option for 2D art.

What do you dislike?

It’s clunky. No 2D program is user friendly but I found this one confusing. I kept loosing my windows

2D freelance and for commercials

Learning about Harmony?

* We monitor all Harmony reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.