Helix ALM

Helix ALM (formerly TestTrack) is an Agile project management suite that lets you centralize and manage requirements, user stories, test cases, issues, and other development artifacts — and their relationships. Its modular design allows you to buy only what you need: Helix RM for requirements management, Helix IM for issue management and Helix TCM for test case management. As you grow, seamlessly integrate the remaining modules for end-to-end coverage and traceability. Helix ALM also smoothly integrates with JIRA.

Work for Helix ALM?

Learning about Helix ALM?

Helix ALM Reviews

Ask Helix ALM a Question
Showing 69 Helix ALM reviews
Helix ALM review by <span>Steve P.</span>
Steve P.
Invitation from a vendor or affiliate

Helix ALM Suite

What do you like best?

We are using Helix ALM 2016 (formally Testtrack). The customization is really versatile. It allows you to tailor your system management process to the specific needs of the organization. One of the main reasons we chose Helix ALM is for their licensing scheme. We needed a solution that allowed us to collaborate with our customers. Other products required individual licenses which is inconvenient to have the customer buy their own license or buy one for them. Adoption of you process by the customer is easier if the impact to them is minimal. The licenses for Helix ALM are floating which allow the customer to access our web client for free.

What do you dislike?

I have three things that could improve or be added functionality.

1. The web client is a little clunky. The user/customer is responsible for setting up their views, which means they have to become somewhat knowledgeable with Helix. To get them to adopt it needs to be easy and seamless for them. I think it would be useful if the administrators could set up web views for customers or user types. Even better would be to do this through the desk top client.

2. Reports, Export document templates, and dashboard widgets are a little difficult to set up. The new document template wizard helps but still takes some time to figure out. I also ran into some variables that were not available that I was hoping to use. Same thing with the reports. I would like more options and customization for the desktop widgets. An example; I was trying to set up a burn down chart, currently we do not use the time tracking feature so I wanted to track open issues within a folder. I found a work around but it was difficult.

3. I have been asking for some kind of Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) integration. I think this is the only module that Helix ALM is missing. This tool will allow the systems engineer to define and architect the early system concept that should be able to be linked to requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hire a Helix ALM consultant to help with the initial architecture setup. We did and learned a lot which made our experience better.

Previously requirements were tracked using Microsoft office or DOORs (which I find to be painful to work with). Helix ALM has allowed use to create a single source of truth for our system development projects. We use all three modules, requirement management, test cases, and issue tracking. Helix allows us to show traceability of our validation back to our requirements and manage our issues (which includes issue traceability back to requirements). We are starting to see our quality improve as well as reduce development time because of requirements and test case reuse across similar systems.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Helix ALM
Helix ALM review by <span>Javier Enrique Q.</span>
Javier Enrique Q.

Helix Issue Management

What do you like best?

It is a good software where we can track all the issues of software development and with the bug tracker we improve and guarantee our software with the best quality

What do you dislike?

Our users dislike the lack of administrators functions that previous TestTrack versions had and our users cannot create the reports from the Web

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good software where you can track the issue with software development and It makes easier the integration with other areas of your company. It also helps us to guarantee the products you provide to your clients and the Support Team is always ready to help us in any issue we have

It makes easier the integration with QA, Support and Development and it helps us to guarantee our software and provide it with no errors. We have been working with TestTrack for like 5 years (I guess because we have TestTrack v2011 installed) and it has really helped to improve the software development processes in our company

What ALM Suites solution do you use?

Helix ALM review by <span>charles c.</span>
charles c.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Test Track has keept up with us for years

What do you like best?

Highest marks go to database stability and custom workflow. We started with Test Track almost ten years ago as a company of ten engineers. Now over 90 software developers, electrical engineers, production technicians and quality engineers collaborate with our custom work flows.

What do you dislike?

As an administrator I have had to work around the default data types in the client. As the company changed I was not able to freely move types of data into and out of the 'custom fields'. I am 'stuck' with the data fields that are hard wired into the client. Also, I cannot freely rearrange the client form, so we all have to use the same 'look' of the edit screen in our work. Lastly, the only group is a SECURITY GROUP, that is painful.

I would want to provide users into groups in a one to many relationship. I would like to make filters and rules on these flexible groups for workflow. (When activity is applied to defect and defect passes filter ALPHA-GROUP send email to ALPHA-GROUP). When people in the group change I would change the GROUP, not the automation rules and filters. I frequently have to edit automation rules when an engineer changes roles in the company.

We use one Test Track project to manage hardware and software problem reports for all product lines. The calculated fields feature provides us with an automated triage of defect reports by calculating a prioritization for lead engineers to review.

We use a second Test Track project to implement change notice and configuration management of devices in production.

We use a third Test Track project as our ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System log for audits and Preventive and Corrective Action problem solving.

Helix ALM review by <span>Matt S.</span>
Matt S.

Helix Review

What do you like best?

I like the configurability of the Helix in that it allows me to define multiple requirement artifacts and control what data elements to associate to them so that you don't just have a generic description field to store info in. This tied in with the custom filter function makes it easy to find and sort requirements to make using the system much easier. The ability to customize the workflow to support how a customer want to do approvals is great

What do you dislike?

I wish that there was a way to keep a base project that you can inherit other projects from in such a way that as you make changes to the template project they reflect in those projects that are based on the template. Now you can clone a project but once the clone is made any changes you want to make has to be done in both the base project and the cloned project

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are alot of other ALM systems out there that have all the features of testtrack and more, but all of those come with a very high pricetag. For the pricepoint where testtrack is, it was a great tool for it's value.

The ability to show traceability in requirements and the ability to use that tracability to create matrix like reports has been great and has impressed or customers.

Helix ALM review by <span>Chuck N.</span>
Chuck N.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Effienciency in project planning and communication

What do you like best?

I have been using the Helix requirements management tool for the first time and am setting up a new project. Working with the program manager and systems engineer we have captured the requirements, and flowed those requirements down to specifications. I really like the workflow tools built into this tool that allows me to assign requirements and tasks and receive feedback on risk and level of effort and capture that information within the tool. I also like how easy it is to customize the tool for our needs which allows me to filter requirements across various phases of the project,

The requirements are stored in a database which allows me to simply add products to a requirement and those requirements then become part of that new products requirements. This is useful for requirements such as agency certifications with a simple selection in a pull down menu that I can create and add or subtract from.

What do you dislike?

Requirements are stored in a database, which I like, but to add a child to a requirement I have to first create a requirements document, then add the child to the requirements document. This is not bad once you understand it, but it was confusing at first

Helix is an effective communication and information gathering tool. We have gone from using Word and Excel documents to communicate requirements to using the Helix tool. The Helix tool keeps a record of requirements reviews and approvals as well as changes to requirements. Using the Word document approach, changing requirements were not always communicated to all stakeholders.

Helix ALM review by Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Administrator in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
Invitation from a vendor or affiliate

Helix ALM flexible enough for just about any need

What do you like best?

We've been using Helix ALM for about 10 years now and they have grown with our needs. They have always been responsive to issues and very helpful when we ran into a problem. We currently only use the "Issue Management" portion of ALM, but use it to track the full lifecycle of an "issue", be it a bug report or enhancement that gets spec'ed, assigned and implemented. We have a workflow that enforces reviews & testing to make sure that bugs don't make it into the hands of customers.

*note only one division currently uses this software

What do you dislike?

Prior to 2017 you would have to close & restart the client if the server went offline, but that has been addressed. There's very little for me to not like about Helix ALM

Items have more traceability now, we can easily see what codelines a change/fix has been made and know immediately if we need to schedule some time for additional fixes.

The API has proven invaluable. We have been able to automate a number of systems to better serve ourselves as well as our customers.

* We monitor all Helix ALM reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.