Help a Reporter Out

Everyone's an expert at something. Sharing your expertise may land you that big media opportunity you've been looking for.

Work for Help a Reporter Out?

Learning about Help a Reporter Out?

Help a Reporter Out Reviews

Ask Help a Reporter Out a Question
Showing 57 Help a Reporter Out reviews

"An important resource!"

What do you like best?

HARO is such a unique source that we have yet to find anywhere else! It gives us access to story/article opportunities that we would otherwise miss out on! I can't find another site that gives you access to top editors and major publications. These editors are specifically looking for pitches for stories that could very well be related to our clients and I like how we can pick and choose who we provide information to! It's a win-win because if chosen, we are getting our clients very important coverage!

What do you dislike?

I dislike how slim the chances are to be selected. These editors get so many responses to their requests that we have to respond right away if we are to have a shot at being included in their latest piece. This can be hard to find time to respond to these opportunities since 9 times out of 10, they expire 1-2 days after the alert is sent via email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a free service and 100% recommended for anyone in the public relations field who is looking for story opportunities for your clients.

We are solving a major problem in the PR industry! Reporters are sometimes quite hard to reach but this program allows us to help them with a project they are working on so we know that we are sending them relevant information and serving a need of theirs. It's a unique and beneficial change since usually it's the other way around and we are usually pitching a reporter to help serve our needs of brand awareness for clients.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Help a Reporter Out
Help a Reporter Out review by Sandy P.
Sandy P.

"Awesome, if you have great stories to share."

What do you like best?

Love that the topics on HARO are so diverse. If you have a great story to share, you can get incredible placements by responding to HARO requests.

What do you dislike?

I don't love that the deadlines close and that I lose my window of opportunity to connect with a reporter even if only 20 seconds have gone by. I understand why this is done, but this can also be very frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect every pitch will work, but don't give up. Some do, and they can land you top-tier placements.

Placements for random stories, impactful content—items that you were not sure where else you could place them. Some reporters do an incredible job at incorporating them into their larger stories.

What Other Public Relations solution do you use?

Help a Reporter Out review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Great press mentions! "

What do you like best?

This is one of the best ways that I'm able to get my clients featured in high quality places around the web. Using this tool I've been able to get my clients featured in places in Men's Health, Allure and more! All you have to do is find a question relevant to you and send a great answer.

What do you dislike?

It can be a hit or a miss whether or not your quote is chosen, and often times the reporters don't let you know. That means you have to go searching and find the quotes for yourself. The email blasts are great, but you can go a whole day without getting anything relevant to your industry, and the keyword tool doesn't always catch things.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have a strategy in place to reach out to these reporters. You have to be strong in your outreach for the tool to be really effective.

Connecting our clients with authoritative places they can be featured. We're finding that we are able to do public relations a lot more effectively with a took like HARO.

Help a Reporter Out review by Melanie D.
Melanie D.

"Every Small Business Owner needs to be using HARO"

What do you like best?

HARO is a great tool to introduce you to reporters who are already writing stories and need sources to quote or feature in them. It is completely free to use, as both a source, and a reporter, and it's the first tool I recommend to my students and clients who are just starting out with PR and publicity.

What do you dislike?

It sends out three emails a day, and it can be a lot, and many people who are on the west coast miss out on the morning queries. Both but of those are very minor annoyances, especially considering that it is a free service. Also, because it is 'reactive' - you are responding to the queries for stories that are already being written - you don't have a lot of options to influence the content or angle of the story.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're just getting started, check out The Quick-Start Guide to Getting HARO, to learn how to get the best results, and impress reporters, at melaniedowney.com

It's an easy way to gain media coverage, especially for many of my PR/publicity students, who are just starting out either in their businesses, or in public relations outreach. In most cases, they are able to get quoted in articles in just a few weeks.

Help a Reporter Out review by Rachel E.
Rachel E.

"HARO is a PR pro's dream. "

What do you like best?

I have used HARO in a lot of different roles and different facts. I like that it is so simple – journalists needs sources, PR people need placements. I use it from the PR side finding places for my clients to heighten their stature as a thought leader in.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there aren't a ton of options sometimes. I want to give my clients good opportunities, but sometimes it will be WEEKS before anything relevant comes around. I'm not sure that's totally HARO's fault, but it would be nice if they could reach a bigger audience in certain areas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend continuing to keep up on media relations best practices – just because HARO makes it easy, that doesn't mean you can't give it your all when working with them.

Less pitching reporters stories that I know they don't care about. I use HARO to build relationships with reporters who I know (because they'd told me and posted about it on HARO) need people to speak on a particular subject or tell a story. It's such a time saver and I have so much more success in media relations.

Help a Reporter Out review by Kim L.
Kim L.

"I'm a Fan of HARO"

What do you like best?

I like it because reporters are asking specifically for what they want. You can respond if you have a fit.

What do you dislike?

You can't send photo attachments and they allow requests to be anonymous. It does take time to review and there are weeks that go by where I don't have anything relevant to pitch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just because you respond doesn't mean you will get a response. Every once in awhile the reporter will hit a button saying they are not interested but most of the time I get a response if they want more info or I don't hear anything.

I'm able to pitch stories to reporters that directly fill their needs.

Help a Reporter Out review by Fred L.
Fred L.

"Very Useful PR tool"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use, it comes right to my inbox every day where I can scroll through and view upcoming stories. It's a great medium for PR pro's and journalists to connect.

What do you dislike?

I've had a very low placement rate from journalists I've inquired about. While it is understandable that not every response is liable to be posted it would be polite to at least show some indication that the message was recieved. It is also a pain that often times the deadlines for these articles can be day of or next day and I'm not always able to have my spokesperson available for comment on such a quick notice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It would be nice to be able to search journalist inquires based on topic and deadline.

I'm currently helping small business meet their communications goals via media placement, strategic partnerships and various others ways depending on my clients. Through this tool I've been able to save time for myself and billable time for my clients by cutting some of the digging and shifting I normally need to do when looking for a journalist to pitch. Though HARO is simple one small part, it can help when I have little time to spare.

Help a Reporter Out review by Tara P.
Tara P.

"Invaluable for PR Pros"

What do you like best?

Three times a day + more requests via twitter. HAROs are the best way to reach journalists looking for immediate sources as long as you use it right. I also just enjoy reading the crazy requests reporters have, and wonder how they came up with those ideas.

What do you dislike?

There are times when HAROs go out and the deadlines have already passed. I wish there was a better way to submit requests directly through journalists, I worry that we miss out sometimes going through the HARO team.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a lot of emails, but invaluable.

gaining access to reporters in a convenient and seamless system.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Great When It Fits; Lots of Stuff to Go Through"

What do you like best?

I love that there are tons of pitches from all types of sources - top media to bloggers to TV and everything in between. You can get really good media hits for your clients just by responding to a HARO. Plus it does help you be a little current in terms of knowing what media is looking for.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there are some many HAROs. It's three times a day and each one has approx 50 pitches. I understand that the reporter/media demand is high but I wish there was a way that I could filter it - for example there's always a Health section and I never have any health stories so I always have to filter through so many.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that you perhaps split the HAROs between two-three people. So one person takes the Morning edition, one the Afternoon, and one the Evening.

I have received quite a few media hits / news stories for my clients by responding to a HARO. HARO connects media and public relations in a direct need-based relationship. I've also personally been able to help a few reporters out.

Help a Reporter Out review by Christina R.
Christina R.

"A great resource to find someone to interview with specific expertise"

What do you like best?

I like that I can put the word out about what I need for an article interview, specifically, and then get several specific sources timely. In this day and age of opinions and regurgitation of online postings taking the place of actual journalism, having a good source of information and actual content is important. This platform acts like 'old school' journalism for recruiting information first hand.

What do you dislike?

A lot of responses from PR companies just looking to get out there, but that's to be expected and easy enough to weed through. I found new sources I wouldn't otherwise have access to and at the same time provided good exposure for the right reasons for those who were published in my story.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. I was able to find two great sources of information for a freelance article I wrote for an industry trade magazine. Good for getting a quote for a quick question or to arrange a more in-depth interview. Lots of upside and no downside that I could see.

Finding a good source of expertise, willing to be quoted and have attribution and fact checking going into the content. Responses begin quickly when working on a deadline but also stay active for an extended period of time which can be important for mining new sources of ongoing expertise and for fact checking, as well, even after the deadline has past. Creating new relationships and sources for unfamiliar topics that don't rely on geography or industry to make is an advantage.

Help a Reporter Out review by Jenn Z.
Jenn Z.

"HARO is a great resource for finding press opportunities"

What do you like best?

That HARO is free to use! It's a fantastic resource for pitching to the press, and it makes it easier for reporters to find qualified story leads.

What do you dislike?

That there seems to be a distinct bent towards certain industries and company sizes. For smaller entrepreneurs, there are limited opportunities to submit stories for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to get your company or product out into the press, Help a Reporter Out is a great resource for you!

Help a Reporter Out has enabled me to reach out to reporters and journalists who I normally would not have had the opportunity to connect with easily.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Great way to see what reporters are writing about and get clients coverage."

What do you like best?

I like having access to stories reporters are writing in real time.

What do you dislike?

You can’t always see which outlet is submitting the query. I understand why journalists may not want to share that information but it makes it hard to tell if it’s worth my or my client’s time to pursue the query because we don’t know how credible the outlet is and if it hits our target audience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it for PR opps, just be aware that there is no guarantee that if you respond to a query, you or your client will be selected. So you have to weigh carefully the outlet and opportunity fit to see if it’s worth your / your client’s time to pursue the opportunities.

Increased media coverage for clients.

Help a Reporter Out review by Brianna H.
Brianna H.

"Easiest way to see what reporters are looking for "

What do you like best?

I like that the opportunities are all in one place and you can contact directly from the email to share your thoughts and opinions. Super helpful for a PR professional!

What do you dislike?

I dislike how you have to scroll to find the number after reading the oppurtunity.

Helpful to a public relations professional when looking to pitch reporters for your clients. HARO makes it easy to secure your client as the expert.

Help a Reporter Out review by P.I. B.
P.I. B.

"HARO is excellent (some of the time)"

What do you like best?

Giving short interviews or quotes in my area of expertise or my personal experiences.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that my expertise is not requested much!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depending on your product and marketing needs, HARO is an invaluable tool both for you and the reporter's needs. I've been surprised that they've accepted answers from me that are more generalized than my industry! And it's so very easy--you can subscribe and utilize HARO three times per day. That's a great amount of marketing with little effort! I love HARO!

For a minute amount of work and research, my problems with book marketing are eased by getting my brand as an author out there along with my actual books! It's a win-win for me!!

Help a Reporter Out review by Yitzi W.
Yitzi W.

"An invaluable tool to find great resources for my articles"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that the biggest PR firms, like Edelman use this service, so I get really high quality responses

What do you dislike?

I often get between 50-150 emails in response to a HARO, so i kind of lose control over my email

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you dont mind getting alot of emails, this is a great too to find sources for your writing

This helps me to find get source material and quotes for my business articles that I write

"HARO Review"

What do you like best?

I love that HARO connects me with the ever-growing freelance network. As the media landscape continues to change and more and more writers are moving to the freelance world, it is hard to keep track of EVERYONE who is writing. HARO has also introduced me to outlets I would have never known about before.

What do you dislike?

There is no screening process for who posts a query and they can also post as anonymous. It does make it hard to decipher who is actually a relevant outlet. Many times an anonymous query will be posted and ask for a lot of info upfront and only reveal that they are not a great outlet post sending.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to do your research before sending samples out to anyone! Don't just trust what is told to you.

I've been able to increase the number of placements for all clients across the board. I've also been able to expand my network, with some connections becoming close business friends.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Okay for Opportunities, a little behind the times"

What do you like best?

I do like the daily digests of opportunities, and I think they have a good amount of diverse publications.

What do you dislike?

I don't think that the emails are organized well at all. I wish they were more advanced in their graphic design an organization. I wish the publication was more obvious as well as the deadline. I also don't understand why they have the anonymous option. It seems as though these are just people who want answers to random questions.

I like that it opens my mind to other outlets and topics to pitch. It definitely makes me think differently about who to approach and provides me with new opportunities.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Using HARO to Expand PR Opportunities"

What do you like best?

HARO is a great resource to expand the types of media opportunities you may currently seek. I love using it to find unique business media opportunities, alongside specific lifestyle editorial needs from editors/freelance journalists.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, the click-to-jump-to-opportunity function on the email newsletter doesn't work - so scrolling through 60+ opportunities can be a bit tedious. I also wish it required the media to state what outlet they are seeking information/writing for.

It helps us seek out more PR opportunities on behalf of our clients, as well as for our agency. It also helps us to connect with editors/reporters outside of our normal scope.

Help a Reporter Out review by Karla N.
Karla N.

"Assistant Creative Director"

What do you like best?

Definitely have realized story placements from this service!

What do you dislike?

You cannot send attachments. Sometimes a lead comes through with a deadline that is only a few hours away - and I don't mean it's a reporter with an urgent deadline. For some reason, the query wasn't released until we are right upon the deadline. Fortunately, this doesn't happen often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would request a trial to see if it meets your client needs. We have a wide variety of clients, B2B and B2C, so it is helpful/valuable to us, but if you are concentrated in one vertical, or if your clients are very local, may not be worthwhile.

Coverage for clients - and we definitely have realized that.

Help a Reporter Out review by Bret C.
Bret C.

"A must have tool for anyone that actively pitches to the media."

What do you like best?

It is free. No matter what anyone says about this service, it is free and when it works out, it works well. The best way to pitch a reporter is to offer them a source for a story they are starting to work on, which would normally have to be pretty lucky or take some in-depth research or a pretty established relationship.

HARO allows the reporters to come to you, you just have to prove your value to their story.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have anything that I dislike per se, since HARO is a not a paid service that tries to guarantee a certain value. The most difficult thing is that in order to be successful, you have to reply to open requests very quickly with value, but to me, that is a strong part of what makes a good media relations person anyway.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it. If it doesn't work out the first few times, don't get discouraged. It is a free service where you have to demonstrate your value. Once you get the hang of it, it is really nice to be able to use and connect with new media contacts.

Getting more stories placed with my spokespeople as experts in their industries.

Help a Reporter Out review by Bridget L.
Bridget L.

"Free service - make contacts and find leads "

What do you like best?

HARO is an email service that sends PR professionals story leads -- essentially bringing the reporters to you. The leads are descriptive, clearly stating the type of source the reporter is looking for (expert, personal experience, location etc). This is a free service, so essentially it is adding to your arsenal without costing you a thing and gets you in front of reporters/writers and publications you may not otherwise have access to. You have to be quick and make a great case for your source to be chosen, but that is what our job is all about anyway. I've been very pleased with the leads and success rate of having my clients chosen by reporters for their stories.

What do you dislike?

You have to pay attention, check your email and respond quickly. It's competitive, but overall very worth it because it is free.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. Even if you don't see potential leads that fit your company or client, it is worth staying on the email list and checking daily -- because those stories will pop up. Be diligent in your monitoring of the emails and quick in your responses to reporters.

Extending my PR reach for clients who have great stories to tell.

Help a Reporter Out review by Dan G.
Dan G.

"HARO is an irreplacible tool for PR professionals"

What do you like best?

I have used HARO since Peter Shankman launched it. From the beginning, the best thing about this source is that it is free to PR professionals. Secondly, it is a great resource for PR professionals to connect with reporters and get their sources in stories important to their business. I also liked Peter's intro's to each email, but since the Vocus acquisition, those aren't as an insightful or fun.

What do you dislike?

The ads in each distribution, but I understand the service has to be paid for somehow, and it's a necessary evil that they have to include to provide such a great service at no cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No need to question using HARO. It's a free service, so if you don't like what you see, you can always unsubscribe.

We weren't using HARO to solve any problems, but to benefit from it. Throughout my career, HARO has helped me to get my employers and clients in stories with reporters in trade, business and general consumer publications. In addition to that, it also helps users to build new media relationships and determine what trends reporters are following.

Help a Reporter Out review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Very helpful service for PR professionals"

What do you like best?

Seeing a list of what reporters and editors are working on and being able to help them with their research is invaluable.

What do you dislike?

I only wish more reporters utilized this service!

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are no downsides to this service. It's very simple and free: it connect reporters with those that can help them with their research. It's extremely helpful to PR professionals to review each day and see if any of the subject matter being covered matches your company or client's PR needs. Even when there is not an immediate connection to be made, reviewing the listings are very helpful in seeing what is of interest to reporters at various outlets, and thus understand what is trending in the media landscape. I only wish more editors and reporters utilized this more often!

This helps us to track the interests of the media and stay abreast of upcoming trends, which is a huge benefit.

Help a Reporter Out review by Blake P.
Blake P.

"Use HARO to pitch clients to Reporters"

What do you like best?

Quick and easy way to browse requests from reporters. It is a easy way to match clients with reporters that are in need of a source. Very few turn out to be a match, but I'm sure many PR professionals would be able to find a match for their clients.

What do you dislike?

Some of the requests are very irrelevant, strange, or not from reputable sources. Perhaps only including outlets that are reputable would be beneficial to Help A Reporter Out

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to filter the results to your clients' needs

Getting clients press coverage

Help a Reporter Out review by Cecelia F.
Cecelia F.

"Great Editorial Op Source"

What do you like best?

I like that updates are sent out throughout the day with new editorial opportunities. Seems to be a great resource to add to your PR efforts.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that some of these opportunities seem to be of low quality. You definitely have to comb through these with a discerning eye to filter out the good ones.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like that it's integrated with Cision.

We have monthly KPIs for gaining editorial placements and this helps our efforts in realizing those goals. HARO has helped us add to those metrics as we've secured additional media briefings and coverage from some of the queries we've responded to.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Good tool for those who use it properly "

What do you like best?

I like havign a sense of what reporters are looking for on any given day - it shows trends and connects me with folks I might not have pitched otherwise.

What do you dislike?

The lack of accountability / response. I would love it if repoters would even just hit a "no" button that lets me know it's not a good fit.

It helps connect me with sources in a quick way and gives me an idea of how my clients can best be featured in media.

Help a Reporter Out review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Awesome to have pitch opportunities sent to your inbox"

What do you like best?

I like that there are multiple emails sent each day that include opportunities. I don't have to log into a website to check up and see what's new, it's sent straight to me.

What do you dislike?

Some of the opportunities are beyond irrelevant, but it's not the worst thing-I can just ignore the ones that don't pertain to me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great option if you are searching for quick coverage and new opportunities. Timelines are usually very short, so you need to be on top of pitching as soon as you see an opportunity!

It is very helpful to have additional opportunities sent to my inbox. Many times, the pitch opportunities are with reporters or outlets that I have not connected with in the past, giving me a great opporunity to connect and possibly create great coverage for a client.

"HARO Review"

What do you like best?

The queries are always straight to the point and include the deadline for responses.

What do you dislike?

You cannot attach photos or embed links to the email.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great PR tool. The queries arrive in one concise email, three times a day (morning, afternoon, evening) and it always has new queries.

I have received several placements for clients via HARO. While we conduct targeted media outreach, it's great to have this service which matches the needs of a reporter with responses from PR people.

Help a Reporter Out review by Nathan I.
Nathan I.

"Not bad for finding a diamond in the rough"

What do you like best?

Depending on the outlets looking for sources, this can be a great way to get in touch with a reporter that is right in your target area.

What do you dislike?

So many on the queries are either anonymous or come from publications that aren't particularly relevant to the audience I'm looking to target

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely sign up. It's free and there's no downside to getting the daily emails.

Part of my job is to secure media placements for clients, and we've had several nice successes through HARO

"HARO Review"

What do you like best?

I like that it is filtered by categories, making it very easy to read through quickly. It's great for getting mentions for clients and can be a good way to see what people are writing about.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the publication isn't listed or it's not something I'd be comfortable putting a client in contact with. You do have to do your research before reaching out to the requests.

Getting media hits for clients.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"You’ll Find an Occasional Good Lead"

What do you like best?

I like having new leads for stories emailed to me each day.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like getting 3+ emails from them each day with the current requests.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s a good tool for keeping tabs on what topics journalists are writing about!

No business problems are solved by HARO, as its more of a reactive platform. I don’t use the service as a main way to contact reporters or pitch.

Help a Reporter Out review by Lauren R.
Lauren R.

"Great Resource"

What do you like best?

it's free, easy to use, great connection tool

What do you dislike?

reporters lack of response when they're interested in working together

connecting client with the right reporters at the right time

Help a Reporter Out review by Karen S.
Karen S.

"Good Service for Finding Stories and Story Ideas"

What do you like best?

Diverse range of media opportunities for clients

What do you dislike?

There is a lot of competition for every opportunity

Story opps for clients and content ideas

Help a Reporter Out review by User in Music
User in Music

"Has led to multiple opportunities and relationships!"

What do you like best?

The free version has led me to finding out about tons of opportunities and media contacts that I otherwise might not have found.

What do you dislike?

Large list of opportunities that aren't always relevant. Many reporters request info and then do not use it, so you can sing your wheels a bit. In addition, sometimes it seems like the people requesting the sources might not be credible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Expect to only get coverage from about 15-20 percent of the relevant opportunities you pursue.

Increased coverage in quality publications.

Help a Reporter Out review by Laurin T.
Laurin T.

"Awesome source to find places to pitch your product"

What do you like best?

I like the amount of options it sends you three times a day. It gives a great amount of information as well.

What do you dislike?

The layout could be a little bit better. The emails are super long and can be difficult to get through

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you read the description carefully!!

Gives us contacts to pitch our products too

Help a Reporter Out review by Victoria K. L.
Victoria K. L.

"In-bound requests galore"

What do you like best?

HARO is a great help in connecting us with reporters in niche areas.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes reporters receive a large number of responses so they may not even open yours.

HARO makes it easy for us to get media opportunities at all hours of the day. Clients are constantly impressed by the number of placements we land.

Help a Reporter Out review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Great resource for getting your or your client's name out there"

What do you like best?

Easy to read, digestible format. Ability to sort by relevant topics and/or unsubscribe to those lists that don't apply to your interests/disciplines

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the anonymous outlets are deceptive in who they are. Sometimes the outlets are marketing channels for companies rather than traditional media outlets

Recommendations to others considering the product

The more popular HARO gets the harder it will be to crack through and grab a reporter's interest. Important to pitch only things that apply and have a strong hook for (and be ready to respond in real-time).

Good for pitching clients as experts, good for getting exposure in non-traditional outlets in real-time

Help a Reporter Out review by User in Writing and Editing
User in Writing and Editing

"It really does Help A Reporter Out"

What do you like best?

It gives me access to a wide variety of thought leaders and experts I would not be able to locate otherwise due to distance and time constraints.

What do you dislike?

The functionality can be a little clunky. It can be hard to keep track of responses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be very specific in your requests and be sure to specify a cut off date.

I am a reporter on tight deadlines I use HARO to find experts and through leaders to help me with my research and reporting. The benefit is I get a lot of insight from industry professionals quicky.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"HARO: An amazing tool for PR pros, and journalists"

What do you like best?

HARO is consistently in my inbox 3 times a day, and organized by industry which makes scanning through it very easy as it relates to a variety of my clients (high tech, healthcare, sports, business, etc.).

What do you dislike?

Personally, I dislike that certain publications and reporters can remain anonymous, and that sometimes when pitching through the email aliases provided the pitches don't seem to go through until I follow up once or twice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Such a great tool for PR pros who are constantly on the lookout for media opportunities for a variety of clients

Helping clients get relevant opportunities in a timely manner, while helping reporters complete stories quickly and effectively.

Help a Reporter Out review by Joanna B.
Joanna B.

"It has improved over the years but still not perfect"

What do you like best?

On occasion, there are inquiries that are very helpful for my clients or that give me ideas for pitches. The list was a great idea when it started, making it free for everyone to find who they need.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the very tight deadlines that often occur. Unfortunately, I cannot always read the HARO email when it comes in. Interactions with the HARO staff when I have submitted as a reporter needing help for my blog have been quite curt, bordering on unprofessional.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check it as early as you can; some deadlines are ridiculously tight.

I am finding opportunities for some clients to be placed in the media and forging new relationships with the media.

"Helping a PR pro out!"

What do you like best?

Ability to provide experts or products I represent for stories that are in the works- allowing me to place my client effectively and smoothly.

What do you dislike?

Oftentimes I won't receive the HARO email until after the reporter's deadline has already passed. Also, reporters have the option to not reveal who they are and can occasionally be not relevant for my client's audience.

Providing media placements to my clients.

Help a Reporter Out review by User in Internet

"Great tool for PR professionals"

What do you like best?

HARO is divided by industries, making it simple to find media opportunities that are a fit. I like the fact that reporters' deadlines and specific qualifications are included in each listing as well.

What do you dislike?

Some of the opportunities are listed as Anonymous. It would be helpful to make it mandatory to list the outlet submitting the request.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are several options for delivery methods. You can select by time of day or industry covered.

It's a great resource for PR professionals to identify and pursuit relevant media opportunities.

Help a Reporter Out review by Consultant in Public Relations and Communications
Consultant in Public Relations and Communications

"Great Free Resource!"

What do you like best?

I like the daily updates centered on specific topics.

What do you dislike?

If I don't see the queries quickly enough to respond, I often miss media opportunities.

No problems at all -- I think this is a great service that connects reports to SMEs and others.

Help a Reporter Out review by Michelle B.
Michelle B.

"HARO Review"

What do you like best?

I like that you look for topics that relate to your clients to get them press.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was a more efficient way to sort through all the suggestions.

Trying to find journalist I can pitch my client to.

"HARO ain't bad"

What do you like best?

Ability to scan top-line requests from journalists

What do you dislike?

too text heavy - suggest grouping media requests also by region.

Great way to connect with reporters you might not ordinarily deal with.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Easy-to-use and useful solution"

What do you like best?

Opportunities listed with a variety of different publications, so this one solution can help you out with all your clients.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes HAROs come from the same publications each time which are often not top hits, and it can require a lot of scrolling to get through them.

Makes it so much easier to know what reporters are working on and what they need help with.

Help a Reporter Out review by Kristen B.
Kristen B.

"Haro helps oyt"

What do you like best?

I often find great pitching opportunities through HARO

What do you dislike?

A lot of lower level blogger submit way too many inquiries and it seems like spam

Helps us figure out good pitching opps

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Great service for easy placements"

What do you like best?

I like having access to reporters who are actively seeking stories relevant to my clients.

What do you dislike?

I would like to make my clients searchable as go-to resources for certain topics.

Being able to attain ongoing, proactive media placements without having to build whole stories.

User in Public Relations and Communications

"Helpful with finding opportunities for various clients"

What do you like best?

Constant updates on new opportunities, allows me to see what outlets/reporters are focusing on

What do you dislike?

I wish outlets couldn't post anonymously.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! Check it daily. There are tons of opps to go through. It's free, which is awesome too!

Finding new media opps for clients that I didn't know existed. Building relationships with new reporters.

"Meh"

What do you like best?

The readily available media opportunities

What do you dislike?

The chances your pitch will actually get chosen are slim

Easy opportunities if it's a good fit for my clients

Help a Reporter Out review by Brianna D.
Brianna D.

"Good way to find places to pitch"

What do you like best?

It's nice that the queries are listed first, and then you can get more info if you want it.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if it were easier to contact reporters with a pitch--mine often don't seem to go through.

I find places where my clients are a fit.

Help a Reporter Out review by User

"HARO Review "

What do you like best?

Lots of opportunities, easy to read, understand and reach out to reporters directly

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more of a local presence. I used to pitch a lot of national media and it was great but I am working at a more local level now and would love to see opportunities at a state/city/regional level.

Connecting with reporters. HARO helps me connect with reporters at the right time - when I have info. or a source they may need for a story on deadline.

Help a Reporter Out review by Angela H.
Angela H.

"Love HARO for getting more press! "

What do you like best?

The variety and freshness of the HARO leads provides good access to the press.

What do you dislike?

The format of the emails can be hard to read.

Getting more press for my business!

Help a Reporter Out review by User in Internet

"Good stuff in a volume based PR model"

What do you like best?

If you are looking for volume coverage for a group of experts, HARO is a great tool.

What do you dislike?

HARO required daily review and awareness to be an effective tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

HARO is helpful for your volume based PR work, but if you are taking a strategic approach and looking for very specific coverage, then HARO is far too tedious to use.

Improving visibility of an entity.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"Great Resource for PR Professionals"

What do you like best?

Easy to read emails, lots of variety of outlets and queries.

What do you dislike?

Journalist emails are not included, stories with past deadlines are still circulated.

Finding articles for my clients to be interviewed for or featured in, by providing them as experts on whatever subject the query is about.

Help a Reporter Out review by User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
User in Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

"Solid start but still needs work"

What do you like best?

HARO has some good ideas. I am always scanning to see what stories might be available for the areas I cover.

What do you dislike?

It seems like a lot of..... Non-substantive stories.

It is helping public affairs professionals do proactive outreach.

Agency in Public Relations and Communications

"HARO is a must have for PR professionals "

What do you like best?

That the tool connects reporters to potential sources

What do you dislike?

Not enough relevant opportunities for technology clients

Easier to connect with reporters working on specific stories; quick wins

Learning about Help a Reporter Out?

* We monitor all Help a Reporter Out reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.