Help & Manual

Help & Manual is a documentation tool and content management system for both single and multi-author editing.

Work for Help & Manual?

Learning about Help & Manual?

Help & Manual Reviews

Ask Help & Manual a Question
Showing 19 Help & Manual reviews
Help & Manual review by User in Computer Software

"Easy, powerful online help generator"

What do you like best?

This is an affordable product that does exactly what it says it will do: create a nice online help packager. If you don't want to deal with XML and other manual markup, you don't have to. Support is very responsive.

What do you dislike?

It could handle styles better. In the occasional event where I have to paste text into a topic (instead of importing it), there isn't a "Paste as Plain Text" option - you have to paste it and then remove whatever styles it thinks the text has, or you have to paste into a text-only editor to be sure that no incorrect styles are coming over. Also, when you do apply a style, it doesn't work as smoothly as it does in a word processor. I mean, I know it's NOT a word processor, but there are some basic concepts to applying styles to text that don't hold up here.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you think through everything (and learn everything) before you start: how to give custom IDs to each page (because if you've got 1200 pages, you won't be able to navigate by the automatically assigned page names), how to create an index, etc.

We write our manuals in Word and distribute them as printable PDFs. (I know, Word isn't a great documentation platform but it's the only one I have.) Once the documentation is approved in Word, all I have to do is save it as an RTF and then import it into Help & Manual and boom, online help. (There's still a lot of stuff to do but all of the content and the bulk of the organization comes in automatically.)

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Help & Manual
Help & Manual review by <span>Ingmar K.</span>
Ingmar K.

"Easy to use, flexible, great support"

What do you like best?

I've been using H&M for over ten years now. It's a great product that is very easy to use. I like the variety of output formats they support, compiling help files is also quite fast. Working with the tool is generally quite straightforward and efficient.

Their support team is also quite helpful, and I've never evaluated another help authoring tool.

What do you dislike?

There is hardly anything I don't like. But if I had to pick something, then it would be the lack of customization options for their HTML output. The product does offer some options to customize HTML output and they offer optional premium skins. The skins look a bit outdated however, and I haven't been able to customize the output exactly how I would like it (although it still looks good the way it is).

We use Help & Manual for documentation of our software.

What Help Authoring Tool (HAT) solution do you use?

Help & Manual review by <span>Alberto S.</span>
Alberto S.

"A must-install tool every time I set up a new computer"

What do you like best?

People creating documentation must have a right balance between knowing all details and nuances about the product being documented and being able to create good-looking and consistent documentation. Help&Manual allows to have someone from our dev team creating and maintaining personalized and functional documentation in different formats, without the need to outsource this process.

What do you dislike?

The editor seems not as feature full as single-focused tools, but that's easy explainable because the contents can then be presented in different outputs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give the trial version a try, it's fairly easy to quickly surprise yourself with what can be achieved

Creating documentation for software solutions, either for the application user and the partner implementing it is always a painful process. Help&Manual turns the process of creating and maintaining good-looking documentation in several formats much easier and pleasant, so there's no excuse for not keeping the documentation up-to-date!

Help & Manual review by <span>Juergen H.</span>
Juergen H.

"One of the best tools of the trade"

What do you like best?

From a single project, I can derive a printed manual, the online help for our software and publish a web manual for online use.

The ability to create multiple TOCs allows to easily create manuals for product families...

What do you dislike?

Not a true WYSIWYG.

Table handling though improved, but still somehow cumbersome, unlike the MS office table handling.

I would love to have a broader "Repeat" functionality, e.g., when I formatted a certain text part, it would be useful if the same formatting could be repeated for another text part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! Once you got familar, you will ove it.

And: affordable price...

We manufacture electronic devices that mostly are controlled by software.

Responsible for the entire product documentation (manual, help file, web manual...)

Help & Manual review by <span>Seth A.</span>
Seth A.

"Excellent multi-format support"

What do you like best?

Help & Manual made it easy to create manuals not only in Word, but also PDF, HTML, and even eBook. This is great for our employees and our customers when we need to share information. The easy-to-use editing options is great as well. It's so simple to take a screenshot of any application and make it captivating for the audience through the tool's built-in graphics editor.This eliminates any need to leave the application and use a third-party tool.

What do you dislike?

It would have been nice to be able to choose the skin color for the web help. It is not as interactive as one would hope for. There is also some dislike for the application not being as user-friendly at first. The system tries to start with an Office-like easy screen, but this causes some confusion if you ever need to go back to the main selection. A more simple and intuitive Home screen would be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great! It makes creating documentation a breeze.

Our requirement was to create a wide range of documentation in a wide range of formats. Help & Manual makes it easy to distribute to our mobile devices and it continues to add new formats for new devices. So far we've been able to use Help & Manual to push out procedures and How-To documents over our intranet page and make them accessible to employee mobile devices and tablets. Without Help & Manual this wouldn't have been possible.

Help & Manual review by <span>Charudatta M.</span>
Charudatta M.

"A perfect blend of RoboHelp and FrameMaker"

What do you like best?

All features provided in Help & Manual are quite useful and also easy to understand and use. Personally, what I like best are :

The Manual Designer, an awesome feature for designing and creating printed guide. We can design our own layout for our printed guides.

Image Shortcuts is also a good options to create a short cut for your image. After that, if you change the image externally, it is automatically updated in the project. You do not have to reenter the image in the help topic.

The templates are HTML based and extremely customizable and flexible. We can change each and everything from text, to color, to icons, to layout, everything!

The light weight application with features and options quite intuitive and requires very less training

The support is really appreciable. You raise a request or any issue, and within some time (at times in minutes) you will get reply from their support.

The low price with all features of RoboHelp and FrameMaker

What do you dislike?

I don't have anything specific that I dislike in my daily use of Help & Manual. Yes, I would like to see improvements in conditional text, table handling, but that too for more polishing the existing options. It's not that the existing options are not good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a tool for generating online help, PDF, or smartphone help for your product, I would recommend Help & Manual. This tool will give you all required options in less prices, and is very very easy to understand. You do not need any special training to understand the tool. From the day one, you can start creating your help, if any issues arise, you can simply open their help and search about your issue.

I used Help & Manual to create online help and PDF (Single sourcing) for almost 6 different projects in different domains. I am still using this tool for new projects and also recommending it to my other clients.

Being a freelance technical writer, I wanted a tool that will provide all important features for generating online help as well as PDF from a single source. I was using RoboHelp, but not happy with their PDF options. Similarly, I was using FrameMaker but not happy with the option to generate online help through 3-party tool. So, after searching on internet, I got to know about Help & Manual. I downloaded their trial version and within couple of days I finalized to purchase it and got my license copy. I learned this tool myself using their nicely designed help. I have extensively used this tool for creating help from scratch, for customizing templates, for creating new PDF layouts, and many more as per my client's requirements.

Learning about Help & Manual?

* We monitor all Help & Manual reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.