Help Scout

A help desk for teams that insist on a delightful customer experience

Work for Help Scout?

Learning about Help Scout?

Help Scout Reviews

Ask Help Scout a Question
Showing 123 Help Scout reviews
Help Scout review by Gabriella S.
Gabriella S.

"HelpScout Review"

What do you like best?

I like the help center feature of HelpScout. My computer uses this for our Support Help Center, and many of our customers visit this page for assistance. I love the ability to format the support page to our liking (our branding engineer did the whole design, and we were able to apply it to HelpScout's content). We use HelpScout so much for adding new articles, having other employees edit articles by logging into the system, and receiving feedback on the articles.

What do you dislike?

One of the elements of HelpScout that I think could be improved, is when you are sending a message, the custom fields appear below the message that you are typing. We use a lot of fields to categorize our tickets, so with all of the fields below a reply, we cannot see the user's original message to us. I wish that the fields were moveable so that we could see the user's original response, and reply directly to that. Instead, we have to scroll down to read their message, scroll up to type our response, and repeat as necessary, which really interrupts the workflow of ticket response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are thinking about Help Scout for your company, definitely keep in mind that they are continually working to improve their product, which is great. Even if it does not do everything you need it to right now, they continually work with customers to get the features they need.

We use HelpScout for ticketing and for our Help Center. We have realized that HelpScout can help well with both, and for a fairly reasonable price in comparison to other systems.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Help Scout
Help Scout review by Skye E.
Skye E.

"HelpScout for Start-Ups"

What do you like best?

I like the documentation feature. We are able to host our help documentation within our application using some key integrations. It's very self service and convenient for SaaS customers.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about HelpScout is ticket grouping tickets is a bit inflexible. I would like to create more specific groupings to drill down more minutely. There could also be some improvements in analytics all around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product has worked really well for our small business. I am not sure what scale looks like, so please review enterprise company reviews to make additional purchasing/evaluation decisions.

HelpScout allows us to communicate to our customer base across multiple touch points. The integrations are great, we're able to alert our Google inboxes when new cases come in and are able to engage across the full customer lifecycle.

What Help Desk solution do you use?

Help Scout review by Lauren H.
Lauren H.

"Help Scout is Trustworthy, Helpful, Friendly..."

What do you like best?

I love being able to separate inboxes as well as assign emails to different employees. It really helps clean up the inbox and helps keep emails from stacking up. The auto responses are incredibly helpful and make responding to emails so much simpler and go by much faster. Being able to connect emails to Shopify and MailChimp is another super important and extremely helpful feature that I'm so, so happy with!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of really anything that I dislike. I think it doesn't always catch spam emails but that really hasn't been an issue and there haven't been too many.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It takes a little bit of getting used to as far as opening emails and having them not be marked as read- it's super helpful, just something to get used to. It really is very easy to use, it's easy to train people on, and it's great for connecting to other software/websites for your business.

Being able to sync with our other systems (Shopify and MailChimp) has made it so much easier to pull up customers info and to reply to emails much faster. Seeing how many emails need to be assigned to specific employees helps us see who's covering how many emails, which employees typically cover what kinds of questions, and other patterns like that. I need to look more into the reports tab, I'm sure there's even more I can do, but I'm already really impressed with everything I have been using.

Help Scout review by Philippe H.
Philippe H.

"Useful in dealing with a constant flow of support tickets"

What do you like best?

We enjoy having a mailbox for each of our account managers and the ability to move messages from mailbox to mailbox in just 2 clicks. Plus, it is a simple and intuitive tool to use and all the built-in features appear pertinent for any average user.

What do you dislike?

The built-in search engine is sometimes tricky to use if you want to make sure to get all the concerned results. Moreover, I'd like to have a little bit more flexibility from the analytics even though it is pretty decent as it is right now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, your team will benefit from easy collaboration and improved productivity with regard to support.

We are using it as our support ticket tool and feel that we are getting great value because it allows our support team to work more effectively and reply to our customer quicker.

Help Scout review by Don C.
Don C.

"Great UX reduces agent frustration and increases productivity"

What do you like best?

The agent UI / UX - Easy for agents to see what they have open, which encourages them to deal with the tickets faster. The Unassigned page is perfectly designed for triaging as it updates live and quickly. The interface is very snappy and we rarely encounter bugs.

I also love the Zapier endpoints, Webhooks, and the versatility of the API so I can create many useful integrations and business processes.

Customers rave about the Docs site and find the Beacon very user-friendly and convenient.

What do you dislike?

- You can only make one webhook

- Can't upsert tags via the API

- While HS is always raving about how friendly and great their support team is, they rarely dig deep into issues, and leave you on your own to figure out any issues that begin to become complex. They don't "go the extra mile".

1. Improve the self help experience for customers

2. Improve the efficiency / happiness of agents

Help Scout review by Alex B.
Alex B.

"Help Desk Meets Shared Inbox & Email Decluttering Tool"

What do you like best?

The UI/UX of Help Scout is beautiful. You can tell that they put a lot of thought into the design of the tool. The functionality is incredible as well. With "Workflows" to identify inbound emails and direct them/assign them where you need them to go based on many different triggers, very powerful.

I have actually decluttered my inbox significantly by creating a "mailbox" within Help Scout which is called "newsletters" and I have all of the great articles that I am subscribed to go to Help Scout instead of directly to my inbox. Now when I go to my G Suite inbox, I know that the emails showing there are time sensitive and important.

It is also a gem for the help desk side of things. Managing inbound support inquiries from clients is a joy within Help Scout. So much in-fact that we have been pushing Help Scout to our own clients because it has worked so well for us!

What do you dislike?

I really wish there was some type of timer that could begin when you start working on a support ticket. It does not even natively integrate with Harvest which would be great. We really need to be able to know how much time we spend solving individual support tickets (sometimes to bill clients based on the time spent).

It would be great if there was some type of "live chat" functionality baked into the Beacon which you can host on your site. Having competitors similar to Intercom, it would be great to kill two birds with one stone versus getting our clients set up on a help desk + live chat service. Would be awesome if they could integrate this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not currently have a Help Desk, are sharing an inbox between employees, or have an out of control inbox, a Help Desk is a must-have. Especially one like Help Scout which is built very well for these use-cases and is very easy to use. Yet powerful.

Customer support, info requests, sales requests, email decluttering, alert system (for the IT side of our business, alerts get pushed into Help Scout and we can monitor them nicely from there depending on whether or not we have to take action).

Help Scout review by Marie C.
Marie C.

"Great Tool!"

What do you like best?

I like the newly added ability to tag people into your convo threads! It makes things easier when you're looking to get the feedback from multiple users instead of assigning to individual parties.

What do you dislike?

I miss that search would auto-populate suggested items, now you have to type the full name/item in search and scroll through your options. A small step but it takes away from productivity times in the long run if you're doing multiple searches in a day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bringing back the "smart-generation" for the search menu, I preferred when search didn't send you to a new page prior to the update that occurred with it earlier this year.

Connecting with members to find solutions asap for various questions, and being able to get the info needed from different teams (billing, leadership, events, etc) to follow up. Also being able to tag emails with various key words to make sorting easier and efficient.

Help Scout review by Ricardo W.
Ricardo W.

"Like to use Help Scout ."

What do you like best?

Definitely I will say that i like that software a lot! It's great enough. so easy to understand and pick up for every one. Everything is clear and easy. Perfect support service.

What do you dislike?

Actually i have just positive thoughts about that product. Will be not so nice to start talk about it bad as i know that work with it can do much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If till now you don't have this solution than it's better to get it. For sure no doubt If somebody will ask me which one is better i will tell just go with Help Scout. Just use it.

As for my office It helped us being so much better at assistance our customers .We can realize where we should to develop our app. So great to work with that one with no stress.

Help Scout review by Marybeth A.
Marybeth A.

"I wish I could manage my personal email in Help Scout"

What do you like best?

Help Scout makes it easier for me to do my job. It's simple, personal, and powerful. The keyboard shortcuts have become second nature to me, and I often find myself wanting to use HS commands in Gmail. I really love that way it looks and feels like personal emails for our customers while allowing our team to share a support inbox. Love the fun rewards when you clear the queue.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes miss the more powerful triggers and automations from Zendesk, but I've come to embrace some of the simpler functionality of HS. I really wish you could pin notes to the top of tickets and turn off the email notifications for @mentions. The Android app also seems pretty buggy whenever I try to use it, but it's way better than trying to use HS on a mobile browser. And there was this one time HS deleted our API key because of a credit card payment issue, which really wasn't cool as they didn't inform us they did that so we could rectify it immediately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Help Scout is awesome for doing support on a small team. It's personal for your customers, and delightful for your team to use. This would be my first recommendation for any team looking for help desk software.

We use Help Scout for all of our customers and vendor communication. We wanted a simple shared inbox and ticketing solution that didn't feel like ticketing.

Help Scout review by User

"Less expensive option for customer ticketing system"

What do you like best?

I like that the price is affordable - I really don't think you'll find a better bang for your buck. Also, the support team is very friendly and accommodating.

What do you dislike?

The live chat feature isn't live yet. The workflows/actions aren't built into the saved responses. You can't initiate a manual workflow on a new ticket (I have no idea why that's even a thing.) No way to simply bulk upload your existing client database. No triggers to pop up your chat based on your customer's onpage actions. Many features are "in the pipeline" but not necessarily road-mapped as of yet. Doesn't have the feature that Zendesk chat does where it shows you all your clients who are online, where they are from and other useful data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider which features are most important to you before deciding on a ticketing system.

Organizing all client interactions into one place.

Help Scout review by Jake S.
Jake S.

"Good program but confusing interface"

What do you like best?

I love that it's easy to edit and maintain articles. I can quickly and easily make changes when necessary and creating new articles is also an easy process.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that we only have one admin login for all members of the support team. I'm not sure if this is just the way we have it set up or if that is something that is built into Help Scout but it makes auditing changes to articles very difficult. I also don't like that when logging in it automatically drops you into the edit view as opposed to the regular view. This results in accidental changes being made to documents without users even knowing that they have done it.

We are creating and maintaining an internal and external knowledge base for our product RentLinx.

Administrator in Internet

"Great answering service, and easy to use! "

What do you like best?

They have a lot of shortcuts, and mechanisms that allow you and your team to answer emails fast and efficiently. It''s also HIPAA compliant (why we switche to HelpScout!) The super funny Easter eggs that pop-up when you clear an inbox are genius! They're very creative!

What do you dislike?

When it goes down, it really affects our day- it's gone down about 5 times now within the past year, the longest was maybe 15 minutes, but we get over 1,000 emails a day, so time is of the essence.

On a random note, I made the gingerbread cookie recipe that HelpScout provided during the holiday season, and the recipe was not good at all! I'm guessing they weren't able to make the cookies themselves..random, sorry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get to know all of the features and shortcuts! It's super fun once you know what keys do what! It's magical!

Helping our members and providers with general troubleshooting and billing issues.

We're able to communicate easily as a team, and work effectively to answer all emails sent to us.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Broadcast Media
Administrator in Broadcast Media

"Great Help Portal for Small Business"

What do you like best?

The email is very fast, my clients information gets in so I always know who is contacting me and sometimes even a picture appears so it feels more personal when I'm replying to an ticket. Being able to reply quickly and report spam as needed. I'm able to paste in articles from my Docs very easily to my tickets so I don't need to repeat myself to my clients.

What do you dislike?

The Docs section is very limited on the free version and I wish it could be opened up more. I understand having only 30 articles allowed, but multiple categories should be something allowed. Also wish better spam targeting was on the ticket system. I find myself having to manually report items as spam and this gets very time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Help Scout to everyone, it is easy to use and not expensive. The features are amazing. The Docs site creates a FAQ page for your business and the ticketing system has everything you need to answer your customers questions.

I was looking for a better service to allow clients to ask us questions and get ahold of us with information for our business. Help Scout solved that the best and now we are able to reply fast to our email requests and answer questions quickly with Docs. Now the information that we receive can get to our staff faster.

Help Scout review by Cassandra S.
Cassandra S.

"If you haven't used this yet, you are missing out!!"

What do you like best?

This was one of the nest decisions my company has ever made! We run over 13 communities with all different email addresses, HelpScout keeps all communication in one place. Easy tagging, searching, task management and more. Plus, everything gets forwarded into HS from Google Apps. What more could you ask for.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can think of is that the phone app doesn't have all the same capabilities as the desktop app. But, that is ok, better than nothing and you can constantly see improvements coming from their development teams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great ease of use, highly customizable, support is quick and responsive and answers in less than 24 hours.

We need to make sure that communications come from the correct email aliases - this makes it so easy. Also, internal communication and "notes" feature helped us keep timely information out of Slack and in one place so we always had a reference.

Help Scout review by Santiago V.
Santiago V.

"Lightweight, smart and easy to use"

What do you like best?

- User experience is awesome. Seems like everything is easy to do.

- Support is great. Quick and helpful (most of the times)

- Usage is easy, intuitive and fast

- Reports are basic but at least that's all that we need

- Shortcuts are useful and well thought.

What do you dislike?

- Filters could be improved. They are used mainly as "folders" (which is OK)

- Docs are nice but customization of the design and page is not that easy.

- A bit expensive (IMHO) for more users

- Rigid in some ways, but if you don't want something very specific, it should work

- Mobile apps are OK but not that useful.

- No chat app

- Reports filters for dates suck

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! If you are a small company and wants to fuel your customer support and help desk, go for it.

It's very easy to use, cheap (for what you get), support is nice, you can get stats easily...they have thought about everything. Workflows are easy to configure + tags.

Self support (docs) are a good choice to go with.

We are using it for ticket management, customer support.

It makes it easy to prioritize our tickets, tag them, and see reports.

The interface is well thought, quick, intuitive and easy to configure. In a week we were using it at 100% capacity. Definitely it changed our customer support.

We also use Docs for customer self service (new to us). Easy to manage.

Help Scout review by Hannah W.
Hannah W.

"Nice way to manage product help docs"

What do you like best?

We are happy with Help Scout. Before using Help Scout, we were self-hosting our own help documentation which got tedious. Now, it is much easier for all staff members to add and edit help articles. The support ticket function is also easy to use and our users are able to easily search for topics on any device. The automatic recommendation widget is also handy and we believe it helps reduce help tickets.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if there were more themes to choose from in terms of layout and style. We customized the CSS in a way that worked for us, but it would be nice to be able to choose a layout with a different look and feel. Maybe some sort of theme directory.

We're able to receive and respond to support tickets very easily, as well as manage help documentation.

Help Scout review by Emily I.
Emily I.

"Intuitive helpdesk tool that helps us help users faster"

What do you like best?

The organization. From top-level organization like multiple mailboxes and folders, to tags and labels, to merging conversations and intuitive assigning tools, Help Scout makes it easy to navigate our support queue and get work done efficiently. Help Scout also allows us to create and integrate custom tools and workflows, such as our internal knowledge base and company-specific functions.

What do you dislike?

I'd personally like to see better analytics available in reporting, or more customizable reports, so we could dig deeper into our data to analyze our performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want the process of helping your customers to be almost as easy as answering emails in your own inbox, you should definitely give Help Scout a try.

Help Scout is our HQ for all customer interactions and issue tracking, which helps us to manage, organize, and respond to tickets across the company. Help Scout's particular layout and team-oriented features help us to collaborate more effectively on giving our customers great customer service.

Help Scout review by Corey L.
Corey L.

"Excellent Way to Consolidate Platforms and Offer Tutorials"

What do you like best?

I love the flexibility and the blog like creation of new knowledgebase docs. The ability to add articles quickly when a new problem comes up has decreased the amount of future calls for that same issue significantly. In addition, the consolidation of our email accounts has been a huge help. Having one centralized inbox has reduced our response times 10 fold. The Hapiness report and the survey in the email signature has aided us in increase our overall NPS score and has allowed us to know who our top performing reps are.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the lack of customization for the article pages and knowledgebase layout. Also, the beacon functionality could be more customizable. It would be great to be able to control more aspects of how the beacon is displayed on each page and what information / articles are made available. There is also a bit of a lack in support when it comes to problems with email. We experience times when emails are attributed to the wrong customer. Lastly, improvements to the woo commerce connection would be appreciated. After several attempts we are still unable to see woo commerce account details on the conversation side bar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get started with transferring your existing terms and conditions into individual articles within the knowledgebase and link to the new knowledgebase from your existing help center or customer service page.

We are reducing the amount of simple customer service calls by drawing attention to the articles that can answer customer questions.

Help Scout review by User

"Excellent Tool to Share the Load"

What do you like best?

There are many features I like but I think being able to see when someone is already reading an email or replying to an email helps us from doubling efforts.

What do you dislike?

Our company works out of several Help Scout boxes, for a very long time we were unable to CC multiple Helpscout boxes you could only send an email to one box at time. This was recently fixed, which was awesome!

We handle all of our communication through Help Scout. It's an excellent collaborative tool. We have up to 10+ working out of a box at a time. We can jump in and out of various email boxes in order to assist other departments when the workload becomes lopsided.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Publishing
Administrator in Publishing

"Efficient platform for seamless customer service management"

What do you like best?

Before using Help Scout, our company utilized a shared Outlook folder to manage customer service emails. This was naturally a little unorganized and led to duplicate responses and forgotten messages. Help Scout allows our team to easily assign tasks to coworkers, track whether or not replies have been sent, and add notes. We have never been more organized with customer service!

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about Help Scout. If I had to choose something, it would be that it is possible to accidentally send a response to a customer if you reply to an email. To be fair, they do warn about this, but some coworkers who use the service less often than others have still done this accidentally in less than ideal situations. I wish there was a way to turn off this functionality altogether (unless I am unaware of how to do so)!

We are solving lost time because we can save common replies and assign tasks to the correct individual. We are making our customer service more efficient and timely because we can check tasks and close tasks in a timely and organized fashion.

Help Scout review by Akesh J.
Akesh J.

"It's good and handy"

What do you like best?

It is helpful for us and handy to use even if we are working on our phones.

Like the simplicity and the features that they have.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing as such for now, all the things are useful for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can use this if you wish to handle the client requests in a proper manner.

This helps us to resolve the cases and keep an update of them in an easy manner and also helping in the help documentation of our service.

Help Scout review by Daniel M.
Daniel M.

"HelpScout helps out!"

What do you like best?

Shared inbox for client support that allows for both individual assignment and group approaches.Cute messages for a clean inbox and helpful tools for annotation and marking issue status.

What do you dislike?

System doesn't retrieve forwarded content. Have to go into outlook for this information. Also, there is no personal stat readout.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep a personal outlook account and move your team to helpscout.

Client support and general inbox. Its streamlined our communuications and automated responses have spend up our reply time.

Help Scout review by Steven G.
Steven G.

"Solid option for small Support Teams"

What do you like best?

Help Scout really makes it simple to set up and run a small support team supporting a small to medium business. Their interface is clean and easy to use, and the integrations are very appreciated, and can add a lot of power to a few agents. Their pricing is also very attractive.

Their support and company culture are also awesome.

What do you dislike?

Not so much dislike, as we simply reached our functional limit and needed something that scaled to a larger business with more integrations and more powerful analytics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider it for smaller teams, with very basic support needs. There's options there for integrations, but the data and analytics are lacking for super meaningful product insights. It's good for day-to-day agent performance though.

Solving the problem of organizing support and getting a unified channel for our customers.

Help Scout review by Erin M.
Erin M.

"HelpScout for Knowledge Base "

What do you like best?

One of the best things about HelpScout is how easily it makes it to create content and manage content. It also provides users with ample integration options. We were able to use a third party to embed our HelpScout knowledge base (articles) directly within our application for ease of access.

What do you dislike?

HelpScout's formatting tools in their articles are unreliable. There are times when formatting does not save correctly and items that have been bolded or italicized do not save as such.

We use HelpScout for 2 things: Case Management and Help Articles. HelpScout is very useful on the Articles front, but we haven't utilized the Case Management tools to the best of our abilities.

Administrator in Internet

"A lightweight tool to support customers"

What do you like best?

I've used help scout to completely overhaul a customer support traffic. It increased our educational video usage and decreased support tickets. The interface is easy to navigate and is intuitive. As someone customer-facing, having all of my customer details in front of me is very important, and I value how well Help Scout does with pulling in contact info, pictures, and info about the person I'm helping.

What do you dislike?

We were not utilizing everything Help Scout has to offer, so I'm sure my qualms are addressed, but I wish there were more flexibility with dashboard configurability. I like the reports, but I'd like more dashboard to easily glance at. One thing that is a bit frustrating sometimes is when you're writing a reply to someone and they send you another email, it isn't clear. It would be helpful to get a notification that says a customer responded in again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really spend time on setting it up. I feel we rushed to get it up and running and may have missed vital settings and configuration options. We got everything integrated and set up for our customers (support site, chat, email aliases) eventually but I wish we payed more attention in the beginning.

As stated above, Help Scout was incredibly helpful to a growing support team. Training new employees on Help Scout took less than a couple hours and we continued to decrease our customer support ticker volume.

Help Scout review by Administrator

"Help Scout has may great features"

What do you like best?

I love the saved replies as well as the workflows. These two options make responding to tickets/emails very easy and consistent. I do like the ability to assign someone else a task or ticket as well. However, these options are also include in most if not all other similar programs.

What do you dislike?

I think the design is something I had to get used to. It may have just been something I was not used to as we were testing multiple options for a help desk system. Another thing that has been a headache is using the workflows and making sure that specific tickets/emails are closed. I have noticed that without closing these, the workflow may automate a task that doesn't need to be automated. It is definitely something the user has to do, but makes it tedious to work with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend making workflows a little bit easier to work with. Like stated before, I feel that this should make things easier and more automated. However, some tasks have had us paying more attention to details we weren't expecting to watch.

We have solved all ticketing issues. Before we were using only Outlook and chat options to take care of most tasks. We really needed a complete system. We have realized that there are far more things we can do with this type of product. It has increased our productivity in the short time we have used it.

Help Scout review by Jenna G.
Jenna G.

"Great for Organization"

What do you like best?

I like that Help Scout kept our team organized and acted as a universal email inbox that offered a comprehensive layout.

What do you dislike?

I wish the chat feature was more reliable, and the mobile app could have been more stable. Sometimes I would try to log in from my phone but had issues loading pages, which was annoying and frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend Help Scout to others! It is user-friendly and is good if you are working on a team because everyone can work collaboratively. The customer service administrators are knowledgeable and helpful and get you back on track if you run into any issues which is always important! Definitely a 10/10.

Help Scout kept us organized and was convenient if someone was out of work for the day.

Help Scout review by User in Computer Software

"Best Customer Service Software around for high volume business"

What do you like best?

Helpscout is great for many reasons:

+You can see how many customers need help at a glance.

With the inboxes on the side bar you can see how many customers have not received a response, how many need to have an additional response, closed tickets, and your personal inbox of customers you have served.

+if you are going to be out of the office you can send your incoming tickets to the queue.

This will send any tickets you have responded to back to the main inbox while you are away.

+notes and sending to other people.

Being able to add notes and assign the ticket to other people in your organization makes life easy and customers happy for quick responses.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I have found to be an inconvenience with HelpScout is when you have written a note to another party, assigned it, and the customer writes back. When they write back it takes the note out of the assigned inbox and back to the person who sent it over. It would be better if there was a note in the corner placing it in both inboxes and if one of the 2 people respond it leaves both inboxes.

Response times are a huge thing in this day and age. The ability to quickly see what needs to be done so that your team can knock it out quickly is the reason we use HelpScout.

Help Scout review by Kristin B.
Kristin B.

"Really helpful tool!"

What do you like best?

There is a lot of functionality here--you can triage really easily, track all notes, all history on the emails and see all history with that same client at a glance. You can also see how each staff member is faring each day or month to track progress during the day.

What do you dislike?

It's very easy to lose drafts if you type too quickly and the auto-save doesn't always jump in in time.

We use Helpscout to triage all incoming CS emails and communicate with all of our clients.

Help Scout review by Mariano D.
Mariano D.

"Helpscout: A great ticketing and collaboration tool to handle customer requests."

What do you like best?

* WORFLOWS! By far, this is my favorite feature.

* Excellent, logical ticketing system.

* Generous mailbox allotment.

* The ability to set up one mailbox for customers that could be managed by multiple people.

* Well thought out collaborative tools for managing customer needs and expectations.

What do you dislike?

* It can get a little on the expensive side

* Occasional outages during the period we've been using them

We were looking for a system for managing customer requests and needs, and being able to collaborate effectively on requests that required interactions with more than one team member. Helpscout helps us do that, and with workflows it allows us to identify ways to automate processes so that it requires less interaction from us in cases where it isn't necessary. We all love this tool and definitely feel it helps us to support our customers more effectively.

"Help Scout Review"

What do you like best?

I love that you can make internal notes on an email and make an actual ticket instead of an email. That is helpful when we work in Team boxes. Getting to communicate internally through notes and "mentions" makes it easier and more efficient to eliminate sending a separate email from another Dept. I also love their little pictures and messages of encouragement after you've "emptied" a box!

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the statuses automatically default to CLOSED. Because if you're not paying attention, you may forget to change the status. I also didn't like that you couldn't email a HelpScout box from a HelpScout box, but they have recently remedied that issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a little different from a standard email platform (i.e. gmail) but it is very easy to learn and once you know it's features, you can really do a lot with ease. I don't run them a lot, but I do like the features of the data and analysis parts too. I use it in a team/group setting with multiple depts having their own Helpscout boxes, and it's very interesting to see how many emails/tickets are sent/generated, received, average response time, etc. It's just nice to be able to have that data to also decide if more people are needed for a specific task or less people needed to focus efforts in other places.

We use HelpScout as a ticketing system for providing customer service in many facets. It saves time when able to add notes and share things from Dept to Dept without having to create a whole new email thread/chain. Everything is all linked in one chain too. Also the ability to "merge" email threads together if they're about the same topic is very beneficial as well. Being able to change/edit "customers" is nice feature too.

Help Scout review by Isidoro "Roy" J.
Isidoro "Roy" J.

"It works... I guess"

What do you like best?

The GUI is very simple to use and SSO is nice. This isn't a bad tool for very small IT departments and it's a great way for someone new to IT to learn how to ticket. I will have to applaud them on a decent mobile app.

What do you dislike?

There is a noticeable lack of power. Out of all the ticketing services I've used, I liked this the least. Reassigning tickets seemed to be much more cumbersome than needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd probably look into Zendesk first

If you need a ticketing system to track work, this will be fine. If you need something more, I'd look into Zendesk

Help Scout review by Taylor H.
Taylor H.

"Our Go To"

What do you like best?

I love being able to support our users emails with ease. This product is great for managing the incoming emails and tracking the volume that our team is receiving. The multi-folder option is great for diving up the emails between teams.

The game changers for us are the saved reply option and knowledge-base configuration. This has been huge for our team.

There support team kicks butt.

What do you dislike?

The frustrating this is most certainly the amount of down time. Since using Helpscout, our team has experienced a lot of down time. Helpscout is always great at communicating issues and taking ownership of them. It's hard to support our users if the software we use to support them goes down. Hopfully we'll see less down time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know that Helpscout is great for tackling email support. On the downside, there is occasional downtime and as your team expands you may need additional software to make sure response times and workflow stays quick and consistent.

This product has helped us support the many users that we have. Without it we'd be at a loss.

Help Scout review by Sarah C.
Sarah C.

"Helpscout review"

What do you like best?

It's easy to manage help tickets if your main source of inflow is an email address.

What do you dislike?

There's no live chat integration to provide other avenues of contact for your clients. It didn't scale well with our business once we started to grow beyond using an email address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Help Scout was useful to us in the beginning. It allowed us the email integration and team collaboration on tickets we needed. Their tagging system is very good as well. Our needs just grew beyond only having a support email address for tickets. We needed the ability for clients to contact us in other ways. A live chat integration allows us to observe certain information about the client while they are still on the site, like what feature they were currently using when they experienced an error, or what browser might be causing trouble with our platform. We can get issues resolved faster when we have multiple avenues with which clients can contact us, and we can collaborate and provide better service when the clients are happier and more responsive. Not everyone checks their emails every 2 minutes, but if a push notification for a live chat response goes out, they respond right away.

We help people manage private equity via a SaaS platform, and we need more intuitive information from our help tickets like, "What screen were they on when the experienced the error?" or "What browser are they using?" We needed a tool that helped us to glean that information without having to ask every time.

Help Scout review by Jordan D.
Jordan D.

"Great experience, simple to use, constantly improving"

What do you like best?

How frequently new features are added. Just in the last 12 months there have been 2 or 3 features added that were major wish list items for us.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick something, I'd say more depth and sortability to the metrics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product, recommend it highly.

We used the multiple mailboxes to sort our clients from their customers, which has really helped us prioritize. Also getting instant feedback on our support quality.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Computer Software

"I Love and Miss Helpscout"

What do you like best?

I love that they are always releasing new features to help make the software better. They recently released a new feature where you click on "Edit this article" directly on a help doc instead of having to search for it in a different tab when you want to edit. I recently had to re-do all of the screenshots in our help docs, and that feature saved me some SERIOUS time! The people are always very responsive to what you have to say. I've gotten in touch a couple of times to make a suggestion and to rave about some other things, and they always seem happy to talk to me. It fits that a producer of CRM has top-notch customer service themselves. :)

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I can't think of anything. No product is perfect, and there are a couple features I'm excited for (they're on your to-do list already, so no point in hashing over them again), but I have no complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid to give them a try. The folks are there to help you out with anything you need, and the product is well worth it.

We do receive a high volume of support requests each day, and we also had a need for help docs to help lessen the load of emails we were getting. HelpScout has pretty seamlessly solved both of these issues for us with an excellent product that I'm more than happy to use and recommend.

Help Scout review by User in Internet

"Helpful product facilitates crucial communications"

What do you like best?

I can assign the appropriate conversations to myself to make sure I never miss communications from clients and can answer their questions right away.

What do you dislike?

The overall organization system takes a little time to get used to. If your not entering the site via a link to a particular conversation, it can be tough to find what you need quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to get acquainted with the platform and all its features before you start communicating with clients.

I am communicating with clients who have questions about article they are hoping or attempting to submit for publication. Help Scout keeps each conversation organized so I can see who had previously responded and make sure we are giving clients the best possible answers across the board.

Help Scout review by Jeremy G.
Jeremy G.

"Clean powerful software that gets out of the way."

What do you like best?

HelpScout's minimalist feel creates a fantastic environment for getting the job done.

What do you dislike?

The inability to modify contact email addresses after they have been entered. If the email is entered incorrectly the first time, you are forced to create a new contact rather than being able to edit the original one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

HelpScout will do what you need it to do without overloading you with unnecessary features. Highly recommended!

Customer help requests used to get buried in personal email boxes. HelpScout has solved that issue, as tickets are kept front-and-center with clear due dates and communication trails.

Help Scout review by Jesse E.
Jesse E.

"Easy to use and wonderful support team"

What do you like best?

We chose Help Scout after researching a few other products: GrooveHQ and Zendesk. The ease of use, reporting options, price, and customer support provided during the trial period won us over.

What do you dislike?

While their workflows are easy to use and provide a lot of functionality, there are a few functions that I feel are missing. Nothing that was a deal breaker, only nice to haves to reduce some manual work and improve notifications.

Providing email support to our large user base, tracking metrics for support volume and quality, external and internal knowledge bases.

Help Scout review by Lucas M.
Lucas M.

"Great Product, even for the free usage"

What do you like best?

The HelpScout ticket platform is easy to use and always improving, with a beautiful interface and interaction with the user they make the support work less painfully. Also, they have a great support team and (in an unrelated note) one of the best newsletter. The saved replies save a lot of time, with variables for customer, mailbox, and user data.

What do you dislike?

The prices for a small company is great, but the conversion to my country currency make it hard to pay. It would be awesome to have custom fields for customers. There is no customization option for the panel style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, you may not like it or not like some o the aspects, but with a free account you can try and use it as an auxiliary software.

We have a digital product that demands a lot of support, so we decide to move out of the e-mail and start using the Help Scout. The main feature was the multiple user mailbox and the easy of organizing and tag the emails.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Super simple helpdesk software"

What do you like best?

Its simple.

The emails look like they come from a real person, not a computer.

It works much more like an inbox than some other helpdesk systems.

What do you dislike?

Its not as feature packed as the competition meaning once you've been using it for a while and want to improve your process you can't always do so because they lack the features.

Reporting is also fairly basic at the moment (e.g. doesn't show difference between the tickets waiting on customers or waiting on your team so you can report on SLAs)

Support our customers, easily, as a remote team while also making it super easy for the customers. Its been great. Once the mobile app is improved a little and built for iPad it will be even easier.

Help Scout review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Simple tool for small to medium sized companies"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of HelpScout keeps the learning curve low, which means that most team members can get to work quickly after onboarding.

What do you dislike?

There's not a great range of features or integrations, so we often have to use multiples tools when it would be nicer to have a single support platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not an all-inclusive tool (not a ton of useful integrations and no ability to create tickets), so HelpScout seems best for small to medium size teams with mild to moderate customer support volume.

Great at resolving high volumes of email and chat requests. We also use their Docs tool which works as a nice, low-level knowledge base.

Help Scout review by Anderson G.
Anderson G.

"Great for general support "

What do you like best?

It has a nice API, which allows integrating data from other systems inside, in the sidebar

What do you dislike?

The API is nice but lacks customizations in the interface. Maybe for security matter, or standardizing, but it would be great to have more freedom on the output of each app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can try it free with one inbox. Worths a try. And give the API a try. The option to display data from your ecommerce or account system with customer's data right in the ticket is great to improve the context.

Communication with our clients by email (the most common, for now). Good for many team members have access to one email inbox

Help Scout review by Brian R.
Brian R.

"Automatons make things easier"

What do you like best?

This app is very good for team collaboration for help desk support. It is easy to sort incoming tickets from different departments and the automatic actions help filter tickets where they need to go. Aside from that the automatic and canned replies make it easy to get information out fast to the user so that they experience minimal downtime.

What do you dislike?

Some of the statistics are confusing and don't provide the information I would like to see at a moments notice

Getting Tickets resolved quickly with team collaboration.

Help Scout review by Scott L.
Scott L.

"Very solid platform!"

What do you like best?

Great for small-ish teams needing shared inboxes. Tagging, notes, customizable notifications, the feature set is rich and practical. One small feature that really helped was the ability to response to incoming tickets from an email inbox. It allowed us to respond to requests without logging in (which was convenient when out of the office).

What do you dislike?

Would love to be able to automatically push reminders to teammates with old unanswered tickets. Perhaps this functionality exists and our admin wasn't using it, but it would have been appreciated.

Customer service/success across a wide variety of users and situations. Kept us organized and accountable as a team.

"Help Scout, New CRM "

What do you like best?

I like that it is Consumer "centric", feedback ability is awesome after every response, we can identify issues if we get a bad review

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it auto-opens a case once you are done with a previous, allow me to choose which case I want to work on next rather than opening another from the queue

customer support related issues for a tech co, benefits are getting good or bad feedback from email response, we can better identify the customer's needs

Help Scout review by Dominick V.
Dominick V.

"Filled with bugs and arrogant support only answering with pre-defined emails."

What do you like best?

The way their features are easy to use and they keep their design minimal.

What do you dislike?

- Filled with bugs so often emails are sent to the wrong email/customer.

- Support hardly reads your question but only respond with pre-defined reply.

- They keep changing pricing often

- They shift responsibility a lot. (ios app bugs: its apple's fault. Problem with notification: its Safari's responsibility. Problems with receiving email: Gmails to blame).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont, Stay away from this company!

Customer communication

"Best CS email ever!"

What do you like best?

I love the saved replies feature. It saves so much time and makes it easy to train other people to use it. I love when you empty the inbox and a cute graphic shows on the screen. I like how you can track everything.

What do you dislike?

I honestly cannot think of anything I don't like about this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it. It will help you and your business in so many ways.

We answer hundreds of our customers questions quickly and easily because of Helpscout. The benefits are communicating with our customers in an efficient way.

Help Scout review by Alison P.
Alison P.

"Pretty Good"

What do you like best?

Easy communication between our support team and our clients. No issues with organizing responses.

What do you dislike?

We have a consistent issue with FreshDesk where attachments do not get included from clients or from our staff, which means we have some extra back and forth.

We have used other help software in the past for our support team, and this has been a very easy transition. Everyone on our team likes it better than other support platforms we have used before.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Market Research
Administrator in Market Research

"Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use, doesn't require extensive training for someone new to the team, it's a simple interface but very intuitive to use. The Happiness Scores and Workflows are some of the best features.

What do you dislike?

There is no Android App, livechat features and not many integrations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make the switch! I think it offers the best value out of all the helpdesk tools.

We use it for our Helpdesk and it was great to build our FAQs and knowledge base. We have been able to automate a lot of the processes that used to be done manually, saving up al lot of much time.

Help Scout review by Nicole N.
Nicole N.

"HelpScout makes life easier!"

What do you like best?

HelpScout is not just a useful tool for handling multiple inboxes and customer inquiries, it is also constantly growing and adapting to their customer needs. Each new release provides something to make our lives easier and more organized.

What do you dislike?

The new search function isn't my favorite, but it's certainly not the worst.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Read their blog / newsletters!

We manage over 15 different inboxes - this allows us to stay organized, communicate within our team, and make sure our customers are best served.

Help Scout review by Kelli W.
Kelli W.

"Simple to Use Email Ticketing"

What do you like best?

I like the happiness report and the ability to send easy review opportunities to clients

What do you dislike?

I would like more integration abilities.

Full team visibility into emails coming into the system. No more hoping communication is happening in personal email boxes.

Help Scout review by User in Internet

"Help Scout is a delight to use"

What do you like best?

Help Scout has the best support ever. Using it is a community experience. We have about 80 users with them, and it keeps a constant stream of connection between all our users.

I have said on a regular basis that if we moved away from Help Scout, I would still follow their blog and community. They are 10/10!

What do you dislike?

It has crashed for and hour or so at a time. Very frustrating for us... We also have various bugs that are fixed now... Everytime we have encountered a bug, their team has been resonsive, quick and honest. They really are pros.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your company is huge, you may want to only use this for support. Also metric are a little lacking as well.

Constant contact between all our customers and the team member that they tie to. We would sink with out this

"Help desk made simple"

What do you like best?

The thing I love most about Help Scout is the ability to keep everything organized and in one central location. It works like an email and allows me to collaborate with my team. Super simple and super effective.

What do you dislike?

Whenever you complete a task, if you didn't copy the email address down, when you hit complete it will go away. So then you will have to go to your sent folder.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a simple help desk platform, use Help Scout

Replying to emails from customers

Administrator in Internet

"Easy to use, full-featured independent help desk software"

What do you like best?

Help Scout is great for medium-small teams. The interface is really straightforward and user-friendly, and there are no distractions from the process of assigning and resolving customer queries.

What do you dislike?

Help Scout is a little light on some of the fancier Helpdesk features like API integrations and advanced user management.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk their team! The folks at Help Scout are very... helpful!

We manage all our circulation and product fulfillment through Help Scout—it makes it easy for multiple part-time employees to stay on the same page.

Help Scout review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Consistent updates, useful new features."

What do you like best?

Helpscout has consistently released useful improvements and new features. The support team at Helpscout is quick to respond and very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Can occasionally be buggy. The biggest issue would be reporting, however. The numbers just don't add up sometimes and there isn't a clear description of what each number represents or how it is calculated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk with Helscout representatives to explain your needs and they'll work with you!

We use Helpscout for email support, a support doc center and for logging support calls and chats.

Help Scout review by Shane C.
Shane C.

"Easy and versatile. "

What do you like best?

The simplicity of the inbox is straight forward and maximizes support volume.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes can lag behind but nothing that stops the workflow

We handle all of our Customer emails through Help Scout and it allows us to be as fast as possible

Help Scout review by Marketing Specialist D.
Marketing Specialist D.

"Helpscout is a decent email management software"

What do you like best?

I like that you can have multiple people inside the same email inbox.

What do you dislike?

The reporting is not that helpful and it's a bit confusing how they force a specific workflow.

It allows you and multiple members of your team to easily access the same inbox and multiple inboxes inside 1 login.

Help Scout review by Cortney C.
Cortney C.

"The future in communicating while traveling!"

What do you like best?

The ability to add notes for each customer, add notes, and functionality with up to date information. Also very good integration with the calendar, as well as voicemail options

What do you dislike?

there should be more bulk options, such as being able to delete more than 50 messages at a time. Auto reply also need a to be reset once a month.

We travel and talk to customers daily, but are unable to convey the information inmediately. This helps for making sure everyone is on the same page throughout an entire job.

Help Scout review by Meghan L.
Meghan L.

"Good for managing customer cases"

What do you like best?

Searching for cases is very easy (use user name or company).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, full email threads do not come through.

Managing customer service and serving the needs of users who are both handling and monitoring cases.

"Functional"

What do you like best?

An easy and simple to navigate tool. It's not particularly robust, but for what we use it for, it is usable.

What do you dislike?

It's not very deep. The view of our inboxes is nice, but I'd like the ability to see all conversations and to see historical information about customers when looking at a conversation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have done your due diligence. This is a decent platform, but may not have all the features you want.

It has provided a nice email communications/ticketing system for us. We are also using it to host our knowledge base.

Help Scout review by Anna B.
Anna B.

"Love Helpscout"

What do you like best?

It's just smart and we love the features

What do you dislike?

nothing at all- I like all features Helpscout has been great. The downside? They send annoying emails on how to improve life. My boss and I dislike this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

do it.

quick or saved replies and great reporting

Help Scout review by User

"managing emails and helping customers"

What do you like best?

I like that it orders based on when we recieved the message regardless of our response, so we can see what still is not getting resolved in a timely way

What do you dislike?

I have no qualms, I enjoy using it and think its an easy way to keep track of emails

helping customers understand our product, helping take actions on thier accounts, funding and info

Help Scout review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Easy tool to manage customer service inquiries "

What do you like best?

I like it's simple interface and also how it is able to pull up a customers information on the side bar, which allows a stronger context of who you are speaking to before responding.

What do you dislike?

It can get confusing if you have two people responding in the same inbox at once.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask for a demo so you are able to reap the benefits of all the features available.

We use it as a tool for customer relationship management. It allows for a seamless integration of our NPS platform, so all inquiries can be answered in a timely manner.

Help Scout review by Kelsey S.
Kelsey S.

"Help Scout Agent "

What do you like best?

I really liked that Help Scout required the use of the physical telephone rather than getting calls on the computer as well as having the canned messages for emails. That was helpful

What do you dislike?

There was a high volume of calls that our company never received

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend to test out the system to ensure you are receiving all of the calls the customers are making

We solved customer inquiries and requests in our CS department

Help Scout review by Harrison B.
Harrison B.

"Help Scout: A Living Tribute"

What do you like best?

Help Scout is hands down the easiest helpdesk software I've ever used. We looked into some other competitors and Help Scout is very personable and treats customers like people, not like numbers.

What do you dislike?

Help Scout is still missing a more robust and comprehensive reports system and some key integrations for live chatting, phone calls, and twitter.

Help Scout enables our support team to function. I use it 8 hours a day while I'm at work!

Help Scout review by Ian S.
Ian S.

"Exactly what we needed; smooth, well-designed, and a great experience for our customers"

What do you like best?

Keyboard shortcuts; simple and modern UX design; great visual styling on the Docs side; totally invisible experience for the customer, aka looks like they're just emailing with me directly; easy lightweight tracking of customers using integrated contacts system.

Basically all the things they've chosen to focus on, Help Scout has executed excellently.

What do you dislike?

The knowledge base (Docs) is attractive and lightweight, but lacks some polish. The visual editor is sometimes unpredictable and stuttery. The concept of sites, collections, and categories can be a little cumbersome. If you've used a generic content management system like WordPress or Joomla before, Docs feels a tiny bit clumsy. For instance it is not possible to move an article from one Collection to another; it needs to be copied / deleted instead. Little things like that add up, but not to the point that we've desired to switch to another knowledge base system.

It would be nice to be able to export tickets into XLS or CSV format for offline reporting. Evidently that feature is in the pipeline somewhere (?) but I haven't seen it yet.

It would be nice to trigger automatic ticket workflows based on words found in the BODY of the message. Reportedly this is a much-requested feature and (at the time of this review) it might be coming soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As long as you're not trying to add any custom fields or fancy metadata to your tickets, I can't imagine a support ticketing system that is simpler to get up and running, start using, and start delivering great experiences to users and customers.

Do your research on all competitors, for sure. Try to be clear about what you need to deliver internally and externally in your help desk. Then, take advantage of all the free trials that you can -- Help Scout's own was the thing that sealed the deal for us.

Run basically 100% of customer support (short of phone calls) for our roughly 400 owner / users and their assistants and team members. We switched over to Help Scout from Freshdesk and have found it to be a much better fit for our needs. Freshdesk is a bit of all-things-to-all-people and therefore is much more complex than what we really needed. Help Scout hits the bullseye -- we've lowered our response and closing times, and fumbled email messages much less, since switching. We're happy internally since Help Scout is so much more streamlined, and our customers are happy to hear from us more quickly.

Help Scout review by Kiandra F.
Kiandra F.

"Help Scout"

What do you like best?

I like that HelpScout organized and filtered messages from the variety of clients we had. It helped to keep track of who was communicating with who.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the flow of the email threads. At times it was confusing trying to tell where the conservation started.

We were communicating with clients that needed attention right away.

"Innovative app"

What do you like best?

Colleagues are some of the best around, innovation level runs high and the desire to truly do right by our customers and help them do right by theirs is palpable in everything we do.

What do you dislike?

None. I can honestly say that I am unable to think of something legitimate to complain about! And that is twenty-three words.

Keep listening, keep responding. As we do continue to grow, as all companies do, hold on to this transparency, openness; the willingness to take risks, fail, learn, and never compromise this amazing culture you've built!

Help Scout review by Danielle L.
Danielle L.

"A simple and powerful tool for customer support!"

What do you like best?

HelpScout is extremely easy to set up an implement. All you need to do is hook up your email address and you're ready to go! You can create snippets, workflows, and tags to collaborate with your team. There are also many app integrations for Slack, Email Service Providers like MailChimp and Campaign Monitor, KISSmetrics, Google Apps, and more which are very easy to set up and get started. There are also reporting tools to track productivity, # of replies, and volume. In addition to the help desk/mailbox feature, HelpScout also offers a documentation tool for knowledge bases. I have been using HelpScout for 2 years at Litmus and I absolutely love it - and my team does, too!

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a bit more reporting and foreign language translation support for tickets. Small things, but would be very helpful for us!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's very easy and you can get started in a few minutes. Much better than other help services I've tried (Desk.com, FogBugz) and integrates other support tools we use (Olark, Grasshopper) for live chat and phone.

HelpScout makes it incredibly easy to collaborate on tickets with a team, and customize workflows and saved replies. Our average handle time is around 3 minutes per ticket! It's also easy to add new mailboxes for different products or teams, and easy for one team to move a ticket to another team's inbox.

Help Scout review by Lisa D.
Lisa D.

"Great Product!"

What do you like best?

The interface in Help Scout is well designed and laid out clearly so it's easy to use. It's easy to respond to customers, especially with the option for Saved Auto Replies. It is also nice to see the different reports available through Help Scout. A nice feature in the future would be more of a breakdown of each customer. (How many conversations were closed for them specificially, and which ones.)

What do you dislike?

The only issue we have really is the inability to delete customers. We have multiple customer profiles setup for the same person, so our backend is somewhat of a mess. Thankfully we are now able to change customers easily, but in the future it would be nice to delete duplicate customer names.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend checking out Help Scout! The interface in Help Scout is well designed and laid out clearly so it's easy to use. Whether you have a small team or a large team, work is kept organized through multiple shared mailboxes with internal notes. I have run into a couple hiccups here and there, but Help Scout always responded quickly with answer. They have great customer service!

By using Help Scout, my team is able to effectively complete client work and keep communication in one spot. Our clients appreciate the Auto Replies and the ease of communication through Help Scout.

Help Scout review by Fhiwa N.
Fhiwa N.

"Probably wouldn't have survived without HelpScout!"

What do you like best?

The longer you use HelpScout, the more abundantly clear it becomes that its developers care deeply about customer satisfaction. From updates to the dashboard to integration with Google Apps, I've found just about every new feature incredible helpful. No fluff! It's easy to appreciate new features that don't get in the way, but instead tackle real user pain points.

What do you dislike?

I'm holding my breath for the HelpScout mobile app! A lot of customer support happens on the fly and I'd like the ability to use HelpScout away from my desktop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think carefully about how you're going get the buy-in you expect. HelpScout is not difficult to implement, it is not difficult to use, and it is exceedingly simple to get hooked onto. But its true value can only be realized through its implementation across an organization. Once you achieve that, it's pretty smooth sailing.

At MassChallenge, we're focused on scaling our business. The question is, "How can we help more entrepreneurs win?" Over the course of the next five years, we hope to support the growth of at least 2,000 new startups. That's a huge number, but then again, so was 400 startups before we achieved it. We have delivered more exceptional customer service to our startups every year by relying on HelpScout's quick and painless product and by learning to expect and trust its continual improvements.

Help Scout review by Jeff B.
Jeff B.

"Great, simple and fairly intuitive to use product"

What do you like best?

I love the fast and good support. Usually I get a response the same day, frequently within 10-20 minutes with a legit answer (not a "we've received your email..."). Some things obviously take longer, but they strive in being attentive.

They know when to apologize. There was one day in particular when the system had a very bad day and I was pulling my hair out trying to serve my own customers...At the end of it, we all got an email from one of the founders 1) apologizing and promising to make things right. And his promise held—things were made right.

*Quick note on above: I've been using Helpscout for a year now and had three days where it wasn't 100% uptime. Two times it was minimal and most of my team didn't notice, the above mentioned one was the bad time. In speaking with other SAAS businesses, Helpscout's uptime is amazing (others are happy if they only have 2-3 days a month with issues).

Lastly, they've built a great, simple product that doesn't require a ton of learning.

Totally read their blog, articles, and ebooks. With a complete career change, I needed much and Helpscout's been able to deliver the training capacity for learning to build and train a support staff.

What do you dislike?

As intuitive as it is, it can be much more intuitive. There are customizations that are hard to either locate or figure out what they affect. There are also user settings (admin and non) which aren't clearly notated or described, so some of the things that'd be helpful that are only available to admin have actually caused questions/issues with my own customers (because my team didn't have access to X).

Reports are pretty good, but they can be way better. Comparing current period to prior period is a great lift, but there are so many other things that'd be great to prepare. Unless you are or have access to an engineer that has spare time to put in webhooks and suck down data, there's not an easy or simple way to look at multiple periods for trends and use it for analysis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do their demo. Then call them and talk to them. Then try their support, they're quick—and it's not because you're a prospective client either!

We needed a collaborative basis to communicate with customers, resolve questions, issues, needs, track customer conversations, and an amazing tool that can be easily used and picked up by remote employees all over.

It has seriously helped us advance our support to our own customers and has made our customers raving fans because of it's stability, reliability, and training with how to serve and honor customers.

It's been beneficial to us with tracking, recording, corresponding externally and internally re: different tickets. It's one source, it provides the basic reporting to know where we stand with customers, we can tag and track different types, search for delighted and happy customers to use for marketing efforts, and so much more.

Definitely recommend it.

Help Scout review by McKane D.
McKane D.

"Amazing company with an amazing product and top-notch service"

What do you like best?

The UI is done impeccably and you can tell that they really care about how the software looks and functions. It has changed the way that we do customer service here and it's help us make our customer service reps more effective, more efficient and happier. HelpScount (the company) provides fast, helpful support and they listen to our suggestions and ideas. They are one of our most trusted and favorite partners.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. We love the product and the service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have already recommended Help Scout to dozens of colleagues and friends. Those who have tried it are current customers and love it. I always say the same thing when I recommend it to others: It's easy to use, elegantly designed, impeccably maintained and it will save you time and money.

We've been using HelpScout for quite some time now. They have totally changed the way that we handle and think about customer service. The software is elegant and easy to use and new employees get up to speed in a very short amount of time. There is virtually no learning curve.

We have also asked many questions and had their support team help us use the product better.

Last, but not least, their Blog is full of amazing customer service ideas and lessons. We all follow their blog here internally and read and discuss their blog articles. Not only do they provide a killer product, but they also provide education for our customer service reps so we can service our customers better.

Help Scout review by Gino G.
Gino G.

"Can't imagine life without it. "

What do you like best?

My team has been using help scout for just over 6 months. I am pleased to say we are extremely satisfied and impressed with it. As Apple technology consultants, we are somewhat picky about technology solutions (go figure!). Help Scout was easy to set up, learn and we had no gap in our productivity after the transition. It has just enough of the right features to be useful, without being bogged down in too many options. Our clients have no idea anything changed on the back-end, but we have a much easier time helping them out. The fact that they can use one email to work with everyone on our team seems like magic. Our staff unanimously love it as well, we enjoy having notes conversations about emails before someone responds to our client and I enjoy perusing closed tickets to remind me how awesome my employees are.

What do you dislike?

We have to keep a good eye on the spam filter. Once every few weeks, an inquiry may go there. We check it daily and it hasn't created any problems.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The chief benefit is that it doesn't feel like a ticketing system. Customers just send a plain 'ol email as they alway have and we take care of the rest. The resulting communication feels like a conversation with a person and not overly mediated by a robot.

We use this to manage requests for help from Chicago businesses that use us for consulting and tech support. We have also recently started using it to host our internal knowledgebase for staff training, on boarding, and documenting processes.

Help Scout review by Patrick C.
Patrick C.

"Solid customer support that's invisible to the customer"

What do you like best?

1. Non-existent to customers: No messy support ID numbers or impersonal support links. Everything looks as if it's coming directly from an email.

2. Unified Team Support and History: Design is clean and allows everyone to not only see support requests or questions coming in, but the internal design smoothly allows you to route to the right team member, while still seeing the history of the request and that customer.

3. Help Scout Docs: Add-on to Help Scout support, but interacts and connects seamlessly to help handle support requests and route individuals to learn a bit more. Found it reduces customer interactions and also makes those that do come in and chat with us that much happier.

What do you dislike?

1. Would like to export our analytics: Help Scout has an API so I could use that, but when I'm in our analytics/reports it'd be nice to export the raw data for my own purposes. I feel like this is somewhere in the product though, so I may be just not seeing it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go through their free trial and actually chat with members of their team. They're extremely friendly and helpful and also really listen to customers when making product decisions. During your trial period I'd also be sure to test out the product from the perspective of someone receiving support.

In terms of benefits, I'd say we're solving the problem of having the right tool to offer as world class support as possible. What I like about Help Scout is it makes your support: 1. feel personal, 2. feel super professional, and 3. remain exceptionally easy for our support team. Overall, I'm a very happy customer and don't envision us needing to move on to any other platform even as we grow.

Help Scout review by Andrew W.
Andrew W.

"Makes answering email faster & keeps customers happier"

What do you like best?

Help Scout allows me to zip through email quickly by using shortcut keys, so responding to people is easy.

And when my customers get an email response, it looks good, like something they'd get from a friend. (Unlike most other help desk software that spits out email that looks like a corporation produced it.)

I feel like it's so clean and simple that it's almost as if Apple created their software. After I started using it, I was so excited that I personally emailed the founder and thanked him for making it.

What do you dislike?

I was going to say that I dislike the lack of mobile app, but there's a 3rd party mobile app that does exactly what I need. It's simpler than gmail.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I was hesitant to switch to a new help desk because so much of my data was locked in another app. But someone on my team had our email go into both the old system and Help Scout. Then she logged me into Help Scout and showed me how much better it was.

She said, "Now, you can keep the old system or use Help Scout. Both work. Which do you prefer."

I replied to 3 customer emails and I was instantly convinced. We switched immediately and have been happy ever since.

I want to quickly reply to customers and make the experience feel as natural as emailing my friend. Help Scout allows me to do that.

Administrator in Internet

"Simple but does exactly what it needs to do"

What do you like best?

We can send emails as though we are the recipient without any complication. When we need support from the company, they have been very responsive with fixing issues.

What do you dislike?

It is so simple that it is sometimes inflexible. The interface design is dated and it does not tie in to as many other apps as alternatives.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best way to appreciate it is to try it.

We as a team quickly respond to support requests and track how quickly we respond. It has made our organization much more responsive to customers.

Help Scout review by Ken G.
Ken G.

"Perfect for our small team"

What do you like best?

Help Scout offered just the features our four-person team needed without bells and whistles that we would never use. At the same time, it was flexible enough to accommodate us as our needs changed in the last two years.

What do you dislike?

I'm very much looking forward to a dedicated mobile app for Help Scout!

We previously relied on Outlook and offline meetings to coordinate ticket assignments and resolution. Help Scout afforded us accountability and transparency, while producing reports so we could quantify our performance.

Help Scout review by Brian L.
Brian L.

"Intuitive help desk software"

What do you like best?

Help Scout has a very intuitive interface that allows support people to easily move through the queue, assign cases and most importantly, to merge threads that are connected to the same case.

What do you dislike?

I have no problems with Help Scout. I'm guessing the pricing wasn't as good as some other alternatives (as we have changed services).

Getting answers to customers quickly. Easy to follow on conversations above my level so that I can learn from others.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Love the Docs feature"

What do you like best?

The tool is simple and easy to use, but still meets our needs. The ability to create a help content library through their Docs feature was very simple. Love that you can add your own keywords and related articles.

What do you dislike?

Nothing in particular stands out to me at this time.

We needed one place to manage our customer support & help content for multiple products. There is no question who is handling what ticket, and we can see if people are searching for topics we don't have any help content on. We didn't have those capabilities before.

Help Scout review by Sonciary H.
Sonciary H.

"Scalable, Flexible, World Class (Why Promoboxx Loves Help Scout)"

What do you like best?

After landing our first big client, we needed to (very quickly) identify and launch a world-class, yet invisible help desk that could immediately support thousands of customers.

We looked at several platforms and decided to go with Help Scout after a test drive. The best part? On-boarding the Promoboxx support team and adding multiple mailboxes to assist our growing list of clients was incredibly easy.

Help Scout scales alongside our business and provides the same attentive support to us that we provide our customers. We love them for that.

What do you dislike?

We would love to have more Help Scout Docs customization flexibility (a feature that powers our Support and Academy centers).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give Help Scout a test drive. I think you'll find the product and the team amazing to work with.

We work with Fortune 500 brands and their hundreds of thousands of retail partners. Promoboxx must ensure that any question or comment a retailer has is quickly and easily serviced and resolved.

Help Scout review by Micah B.
Micah B.

"Help Scout is terrific for handling email support"

What do you like best?

Terrific for handling email support, has quite a few customization options to fit my workflow. We also like how we're able to pull in social mentions(via Zapier) and phone voicemail(through native integration) to make it a single point of contact for our support team.

What do you dislike?

Would like to see more granular reporting options. Improvements are a nice step but some better controls around stats for tags and more controls for different timeframes would be great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In addition to providing a great in-app experience, the Help Scout team is terrific and responsive in helping to troubleshoot problems should you need to ask.

As someone who lives in Help Scout 40+ hours a week, it does a tremendous job of helping us support our users. We use it to help understand where our support problems come from, to communicate with users, even funnel social mentions to our inbox so it can be treated like a Support To-Do list.

Help Scout review by Malin S.
Malin S.

"They practice what they preach!"

What do you like best?

1. The product and its simplicity

2. Continuous integration of new features

3. They know what they are doing. Help Scout's customer support really demonstrates this. They not only know how to create a great platform but to also interact/support their own users.

5. The ability to customise (CSS/HTML) in Docs

6. Their understanding of what their users want/need.

7. It caters to a large variety of purposes but never feels impersonal or corporate.

What do you dislike?

1. Not much, really ...

2. Further custom Javascript and CSS/HTML features would be great for Docs, especially within editing articles rather than having one section to implement this. It certainly works with the current system but in terms of functionality, it could be improved.

We're able to interact better with our users. We've improved the overall pedagogic aspect of how to use our website and have been able to provide answers in a very simple way.

Help Scout review by Ben C.
Ben C.

"Lightweight, Transparent, & Flexible"

What do you like best?

We like that Help Scout emails are transparent to our users. Messages we send aren't cluttered with branding and noise generated by the helpdesk software. It's a very natural email experience.

What do you dislike?

We have some ideas about how Help Scout could improve their reporting and add a few extra helpdesk features. On the bright side, they've been very responsive to our ideas in the past, and we notice new product improvements every month.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pick Help Scout if you are interested in operating a lightweight, easy-to-use, and customer-friendly helpdesk. We're a relatively small technology startup. If you are a very large enterprise, there are likely technically better but less user- and customer-friendly options.

We are trying to make a difference in the ticketing industry, which is notorious for fraud, bad user experiences, and poor customer support. Help Scout provides us with the toolkit to surprise and delight customers with prompt and friendly service.

Help Scout review by Forest L.
Forest L.

"Help Scout is THE BOMB"

What do you like best?

I love how simple and minimal the user interface is in Help Scout. There aren't loads and loads of features we don't need, which I've had to deal with in other support ticket system software, almost always.

Help Scout is a simple, but powerful shared space for our team to collaborate as we take care of our customers.

The best part? Our customers experience of getting help from us is a plain, personal email from us. They don't have to login and interact with a support ticket website to get help from us. So freaking cool.

Also, their support is over the top awesome. They know how to treat their customers well. They're all super helpful and warm. Human to human support that feels like my friends are helping me out with issues. Perfect support.

Lastly, they are content marketing pros. I watch their blog posts not just for the useful content they publish, but also to learn from how they do their content marketing. Great stuff all around.

What do you dislike?

The one downside of Help Scout currently is that we can't include multiple team members on internal notes/discussions we have about a ticket. Only one person can see an internal note on your team...the person you assign the ticket to after you leave an internal note. It would be better for us if internal notes functioned like discussion threads in Basecamp, where you can select multiple team members to be looped in on a discussion thread.

Taking care of our customers questions and issues in the fastest, simplest way possible. What's important to us is that people feel well taken care of. If that happens, they talk about our business to their friends and we get free word of mouth marketing.

Help Scout makes it super easy for us to deliver great customer experiences. Simple and fast for our team and our customers. This is the way support software should be.

"Avoid "

What do you like best?

The way emails were stored as conversations, the searching of mails was fairly easy.

What do you dislike?

Purchased a lifeteime deal from app sumo $75 per quarter, this was changed recently to $60 per month. So price was $300 a year now is $720 a year. Do not sell that which you are not prepared to honor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Avoid unless you want to get comfortable, to only see the price shoot up.

None closed down and moved to "lifetime free" account with another provider and also get more features

Help Scout review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Director of Sales and Support"

What do you like best?

It's integration with Slack. It's very easy to use, and we can separate channels by function. Also, love the canned responses and ability to provide attachments to emails.

What do you dislike?

Not much. Very good platform. Love the integrations with other APIs. I wish they had a live chat feature though.

Email Support for company. Benefits are the ease of use in managing support emails.

Help Scout review by Sara S.
Sara S.

"Simple support software that gets out of your way so you can help your customers"

What do you like best?

Their integrations with the other SaaS products we use, like Slack, and robust reports allow us to share our progress and needs with the rest of the company. At a glance, I can see who needs help. This allows me to quickly answer customers or assign an issue to another support team member who can take care of them better than I can.

What do you dislike?

Some things need to be done manually while the product is built-out. This is never a problem as it allows for customization and the HelpScout team is so responsive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out! There is no obligation as it's a monthly subscription. Your customers will see benefits right away and then you'll never want to stop using it.

HelpScout is a large part of our customer success program. It helps us stay connected and "wow" our customers with exceptional service.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Great Starter Customer Support Portal"

What do you like best?

HelpScout has a great UI. The ticket viewing and their Dashboard is self-navigating. Ticket statuses are common across different platforms but the Escalation process is very transparent in HelpScout

What do you dislike?

Reporting. I tried to generate a few reports in the past and failed utterly. Unsure if the reporting has improved now with HelpScout

HelpScout was the only Customer facing portal we had at Plivo Inc. We addressed all incoming customer queries which were a combination of Technical and Product knowledge.

Help Scout review by User in Computer Software

"Easy consolidated place to reply to campaign emails"

What do you like best?

A Very quick place to identify all campaign messages and efficiently reply.

What do you dislike?

The notification settings can be vague and it is hard to stay on top of when they are coming live.

We are able to gather actionable feedback from clients who rate our responses and product through the site.

Help Scout review by Matthew S.
Matthew S.

"Help Scout is seriously the best."

What do you like best?

It prevents me from never losing track of a conversation that I may forget about over the course of a day, because unlike a normal inbox, an email that hasn't been responded to still appears as if it hasn't been read. This is an invaluable feature!

What do you dislike?

It's pretty minimal, really. The only thing I wish were different is being able exclude any forwarded emails to a fellow employee from being sent in a reply to a customer. Otherwise, there's literally nothing I dislike!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will make your support and customer service life SUBSTANTIALLY easier. Not only do they provide a great product, but often the highlight of my work week is reading their outstanding advice blog. It constantly helps me improve my style and thought process at work.

We're able to track the satisfaction of our customers, and even better than that we're able to ensure that any customer who sends us an email gets a reply, thanks to the way they have their inbox set up.

"Great, thoughtful features"

What do you like best?

Ability to divide my department up by duty, and have tasks automatically assigned based on the inbox they come into while giving all employees access to multiple inboxes.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could change the recipient of a conversation response, such as when another department has forwarded an email that was sent to the wrong inbox.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider how necessary live chat really is.

We don't lose track of customer/partner issues anymore. Easier reporting of ticket resolutions.

Help Scout review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"Help Scout Review"

What do you like best?

Easy to find content based on tags, and sorts results based on people or conversations. Easy to share client information between multiple agents.

What do you dislike?

Having a conversation assigned to one agent can make it difficult to find for other agents.

Recommendations to others considering the product

N/a

Clean layout for client replies. Less buggy.

Help Scout review by Jamie M.
Jamie M.

"Why Zendesk Lost"

What do you like best?

The simplicity for myself and my team, and the awesome support they've given, any time I've needed anything.

What do you dislike?

The only thing i can think of is no native mobile apps, but it works on mobile browsers, and i prefer to let my team take care of the inbox anyway, so dont really need it mobile for me... :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a try, if you're looking for something that'll support clients, in an invisible way, this would be what I'd recommend for you...

Making life simple to support our clients

Traceability and accountability for tasks

SLA's too in the reporting so we can see that we're getting better each week and month in terms of responsiveness