Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Help Scout

(124 reviews)

A help desk for teams that insist on a delightful customer experience

Work for Help Scout?

Learning about Help Scout?

Help Scout Reviews

Ask Help Scout a Question
Showing 127 Help Scout reviews
Help Scout review by Jeremy G.
Jeremy G.
View Original

"Clean powerful software that gets out of the way."

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Help Scout
Help Scout review by Abbie  R.
Abbie R.

"No customer need slips through the cracks with Help Scout"

What do you like best?

I’m not wading through a messy inbox anymore. My emails now feel more like a neat to-do list and I love the feeling of clearing all of them out. Help Scout has seriously made me into a more organized person and I feel like taking care of my clients is easy in a way it wasn't before.

My company explored other options last year and the resounding opinion of my entire team is that we did NOT want to lose Help Scout. I don't think this was an aversion to change, but rather an appreciation for the system Help Scout had let us create with each other. It's very easy to work together as a a team by using it and I would imagine it provides excellent oversight for our manager.

It's pretty motivating that anyone in my company can see my responses to my customer over Help Scout. If your'e great at customer service, you love this feature. If you want to fly under the radar and do a mediocre job, Help Scout would find you out pretty fast.

What do you dislike?

You’re not able to email multiple contacts from help scout and that's kind of frustrating. A lot of my clients have multiple points of contact and to reach all of them I have to address one person and then put the rest on CC. I understand it's not a system to be used for mass messaging but I think a lot of my contacts probably wonder why they're on CC and not one of the recipients.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As far as desktop and mobile design, you're not going to find something more user friendly than this. It's very intuitive and I've seen my newer team members pick up on it really quickly. I wasn't a decision maker in the selection process, so I can't really speak to the value for the cost (I don't know what it is) but I know if my company ever tried to take it away from us, we'd put up a fight! It's a terrific product.

Before Help Scout I really couldn’t take a vacation in peace. Seriously. But the visibility it offers on all of my customer emails makes taking care of clients a team effort now in my office. And that’s been a real game changer. When I return from being away I can see exactly how my clients were taken care of. And my manager can too.

What Help Desk solution do you use?

Help Scout review by Gabriella S.
Gabriella S.

"HelpScout Review"

What do you like best?

I like the help center feature of HelpScout. My computer uses this for our Support Help Center, and many of our customers visit this page for assistance. I love the ability to format the support page to our liking (our branding engineer did the whole design, and we were able to apply it to HelpScout's content). We use HelpScout so much for adding new articles, having other employees edit articles by logging into the system, and receiving feedback on the articles.

What do you dislike?

One of the elements of HelpScout that I think could be improved, is when you are sending a message, the custom fields appear below the message that you are typing. We use a lot of fields to categorize our tickets, so with all of the fields below a reply, we cannot see the user's original message to us. I wish that the fields were moveable so that we could see the user's original response, and reply directly to that. Instead, we have to scroll down to read their message, scroll up to type our response, and repeat as necessary, which really interrupts the workflow of ticket response.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are thinking about Help Scout for your company, definitely keep in mind that they are continually working to improve their product, which is great. Even if it does not do everything you need it to right now, they continually work with customers to get the features they need.

We use HelpScout for ticketing and for our Help Center. We have realized that HelpScout can help well with both, and for a fairly reasonable price in comparison to other systems.

Help Scout review by Skye E.
Skye E.

"HelpScout for Start-Ups"

What do you like best?

I like the documentation feature. We are able to host our help documentation within our application using some key integrations. It's very self service and convenient for SaaS customers.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about HelpScout is ticket grouping tickets is a bit inflexible. I would like to create more specific groupings to drill down more minutely. There could also be some improvements in analytics all around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product has worked really well for our small business. I am not sure what scale looks like, so please review enterprise company reviews to make additional purchasing/evaluation decisions.

HelpScout allows us to communicate to our customer base across multiple touch points. The integrations are great, we're able to alert our Google inboxes when new cases come in and are able to engage across the full customer lifecycle.

Help Scout review by Lauren H.
Lauren H.

"Help Scout is Trustworthy, Helpful, Friendly..."

What do you like best?

I love being able to separate inboxes as well as assign emails to different employees. It really helps clean up the inbox and helps keep emails from stacking up. The auto responses are incredibly helpful and make responding to emails so much simpler and go by much faster. Being able to connect emails to Shopify and MailChimp is another super important and extremely helpful feature that I'm so, so happy with!

What do you dislike?

I can't think of really anything that I dislike. I think it doesn't always catch spam emails but that really hasn't been an issue and there haven't been too many.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It takes a little bit of getting used to as far as opening emails and having them not be marked as read- it's super helpful, just something to get used to. It really is very easy to use, it's easy to train people on, and it's great for connecting to other software/websites for your business.

Being able to sync with our other systems (Shopify and MailChimp) has made it so much easier to pull up customers info and to reply to emails much faster. Seeing how many emails need to be assigned to specific employees helps us see who's covering how many emails, which employees typically cover what kinds of questions, and other patterns like that. I need to look more into the reports tab, I'm sure there's even more I can do, but I'm already really impressed with everything I have been using.

Help Scout review by Philippe H.
Philippe H.

"Useful in dealing with a constant flow of support tickets"

What do you like best?

We enjoy having a mailbox for each of our account managers and the ability to move messages from mailbox to mailbox in just 2 clicks. Plus, it is a simple and intuitive tool to use and all the built-in features appear pertinent for any average user.

What do you dislike?

The built-in search engine is sometimes tricky to use if you want to make sure to get all the concerned results. Moreover, I'd like to have a little bit more flexibility from the analytics even though it is pretty decent as it is right now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, your team will benefit from easy collaboration and improved productivity with regard to support.

We are using it as our support ticket tool and feel that we are getting great value because it allows our support team to work more effectively and reply to our customer quicker.

Help Scout review by Don C.
Don C.

"Great UX reduces agent frustration and increases productivity"

What do you like best?

The agent UI / UX - Easy for agents to see what they have open, which encourages them to deal with the tickets faster. The Unassigned page is perfectly designed for triaging as it updates live and quickly. The interface is very snappy and we rarely encounter bugs.

I also love the Zapier endpoints, Webhooks, and the versatility of the API so I can create many useful integrations and business processes.

Customers rave about the Docs site and find the Beacon very user-friendly and convenient.

What do you dislike?

- You can only make one webhook

- Can't upsert tags via the API

- While HS is always raving about how friendly and great their support team is, they rarely dig deep into issues, and leave you on your own to figure out any issues that begin to become complex. They don't "go the extra mile".

1. Improve the self help experience for customers

2. Improve the efficiency / happiness of agents

Help Scout review by Brian K.
Brian K.

"It has changed how we do Help Desk"

What do you like best?

The web interface for the users is well put together and easy to use. We use it for our internal IT Help Desk even though it is really designed more for external customer help. But that doesn't matter it works great for us. Our internal customers can easily just submit a ticket via email or a form we created on our Intranet. I really love all the workflow options that can control which members of the HD team get notified and when. It is always fast and it is easy for my team to search our 5 years of history in the system to see if the problem has already been solved by a peer.

What do you dislike?

I don't really dislike anything but, like any product, I wish there were a few features added. For example, you can place a ticket (conversation) into a Pending state but I wish there was a date field to have it automatically become active again on that date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is pretty easy to use once we you get your email addresses linked. Learn how to use the Work Flow features!

Helping my IT department keep on top of user requests and not loose track of them. I have the ability to easily monitor what's going on both just poking around but also by running various built-in reports.

Help Scout review by Alex B.
Alex B.

"Help Desk Meets Shared Inbox & Email Decluttering Tool"

What do you like best?

The UI/UX of Help Scout is beautiful. You can tell that they put a lot of thought into the design of the tool. The functionality is incredible as well. With "Workflows" to identify inbound emails and direct them/assign them where you need them to go based on many different triggers, very powerful.

I have actually decluttered my inbox significantly by creating a "mailbox" within Help Scout which is called "newsletters" and I have all of the great articles that I am subscribed to go to Help Scout instead of directly to my inbox. Now when I go to my G Suite inbox, I know that the emails showing there are time sensitive and important.

It is also a gem for the help desk side of things. Managing inbound support inquiries from clients is a joy within Help Scout. So much in-fact that we have been pushing Help Scout to our own clients because it has worked so well for us!

What do you dislike?

I really wish there was some type of timer that could begin when you start working on a support ticket. It does not even natively integrate with Harvest which would be great. We really need to be able to know how much time we spend solving individual support tickets (sometimes to bill clients based on the time spent).

It would be great if there was some type of "live chat" functionality baked into the Beacon which you can host on your site. Having competitors similar to Intercom, it would be great to kill two birds with one stone versus getting our clients set up on a help desk + live chat service. Would be awesome if they could integrate this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you do not currently have a Help Desk, are sharing an inbox between employees, or have an out of control inbox, a Help Desk is a must-have. Especially one like Help Scout which is built very well for these use-cases and is very easy to use. Yet powerful.

Customer support, info requests, sales requests, email decluttering, alert system (for the IT side of our business, alerts get pushed into Help Scout and we can monitor them nicely from there depending on whether or not we have to take action).

Help Scout review by Marie C.
Marie C.

"Great Tool!"

What do you like best?

I like the newly added ability to tag people into your convo threads! It makes things easier when you're looking to get the feedback from multiple users instead of assigning to individual parties.

What do you dislike?

I miss that search would auto-populate suggested items, now you have to type the full name/item in search and scroll through your options. A small step but it takes away from productivity times in the long run if you're doing multiple searches in a day.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bringing back the "smart-generation" for the search menu, I preferred when search didn't send you to a new page prior to the update that occurred with it earlier this year.

Connecting with members to find solutions asap for various questions, and being able to get the info needed from different teams (billing, leadership, events, etc) to follow up. Also being able to tag emails with various key words to make sorting easier and efficient.

Help Scout review by Ricardo W.
Ricardo W.

"Like to use Help Scout ."

What do you like best?

Definitely I will say that i like that software a lot! It's great enough. so easy to understand and pick up for every one. Everything is clear and easy. Perfect support service.

What do you dislike?

Actually i have just positive thoughts about that product. Will be not so nice to start talk about it bad as i know that work with it can do much better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If till now you don't have this solution than it's better to get it. For sure no doubt If somebody will ask me which one is better i will tell just go with Help Scout. Just use it.

As for my office It helped us being so much better at assistance our customers .We can realize where we should to develop our app. So great to work with that one with no stress.

Help Scout review by Marybeth A.
Marybeth A.

"I wish I could manage my personal email in Help Scout"

What do you like best?

Help Scout makes it easier for me to do my job. It's simple, personal, and powerful. The keyboard shortcuts have become second nature to me, and I often find myself wanting to use HS commands in Gmail. I really love that way it looks and feels like personal emails for our customers while allowing our team to share a support inbox. Love the fun rewards when you clear the queue.

What do you dislike?

I sometimes miss the more powerful triggers and automations from Zendesk, but I've come to embrace some of the simpler functionality of HS. I really wish you could pin notes to the top of tickets and turn off the email notifications for @mentions. The Android app also seems pretty buggy whenever I try to use it, but it's way better than trying to use HS on a mobile browser. And there was this one time HS deleted our API key because of a credit card payment issue, which really wasn't cool as they didn't inform us they did that so we could rectify it immediately.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Help Scout is awesome for doing support on a small team. It's personal for your customers, and delightful for your team to use. This would be my first recommendation for any team looking for help desk software.

We use Help Scout for all of our customers and vendor communication. We wanted a simple shared inbox and ticketing solution that didn't feel like ticketing.

Help Scout review by User

"Less expensive option for customer ticketing system"

What do you like best?

I like that the price is affordable - I really don't think you'll find a better bang for your buck. Also, the support team is very friendly and accommodating.

What do you dislike?

The live chat feature isn't live yet. The workflows/actions aren't built into the saved responses. You can't initiate a manual workflow on a new ticket (I have no idea why that's even a thing.) No way to simply bulk upload your existing client database. No triggers to pop up your chat based on your customer's onpage actions. Many features are "in the pipeline" but not necessarily road-mapped as of yet. Doesn't have the feature that Zendesk chat does where it shows you all your clients who are online, where they are from and other useful data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider which features are most important to you before deciding on a ticketing system.

Organizing all client interactions into one place.

Help Scout review by Jake S.
Jake S.

"Good program but confusing interface"

What do you like best?

I love that it's easy to edit and maintain articles. I can quickly and easily make changes when necessary and creating new articles is also an easy process.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that we only have one admin login for all members of the support team. I'm not sure if this is just the way we have it set up or if that is something that is built into Help Scout but it makes auditing changes to articles very difficult. I also don't like that when logging in it automatically drops you into the edit view as opposed to the regular view. This results in accidental changes being made to documents without users even knowing that they have done it.

We are creating and maintaining an internal and external knowledge base for our product RentLinx.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Great answering service, and easy to use! "

What do you like best?

They have a lot of shortcuts, and mechanisms that allow you and your team to answer emails fast and efficiently. It''s also HIPAA compliant (why we switche to HelpScout!) The super funny Easter eggs that pop-up when you clear an inbox are genius! They're very creative!

What do you dislike?

When it goes down, it really affects our day- it's gone down about 5 times now within the past year, the longest was maybe 15 minutes, but we get over 1,000 emails a day, so time is of the essence.

On a random note, I made the gingerbread cookie recipe that HelpScout provided during the holiday season, and the recipe was not good at all! I'm guessing they weren't able to make the cookies themselves..random, sorry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get to know all of the features and shortcuts! It's super fun once you know what keys do what! It's magical!

Helping our members and providers with general troubleshooting and billing issues.

We're able to communicate easily as a team, and work effectively to answer all emails sent to us.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Entertainment
Administrator in Entertainment

"Great Help Portal for Small Business"

What do you like best?

The email is very fast, my clients information gets in so I always know who is contacting me and sometimes even a picture appears so it feels more personal when I'm replying to an ticket. Being able to reply quickly and report spam as needed. I'm able to paste in articles from my Docs very easily to my tickets so I don't need to repeat myself to my clients.

What do you dislike?

The Docs section is very limited on the free version and I wish it could be opened up more. I understand having only 30 articles allowed, but multiple categories should be something allowed. Also wish better spam targeting was on the ticket system. I find myself having to manually report items as spam and this gets very time consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Help Scout to everyone, it is easy to use and not expensive. The features are amazing. The Docs site creates a FAQ page for your business and the ticketing system has everything you need to answer your customers questions.

I was looking for a better service to allow clients to ask us questions and get ahold of us with information for our business. Help Scout solved that the best and now we are able to reply fast to our email requests and answer questions quickly with Docs. Now the information that we receive can get to our staff faster.

Help Scout review by Cassandra S.
Cassandra S.

"If you haven't used this yet, you are missing out!!"

What do you like best?

This was one of the nest decisions my company has ever made! We run over 13 communities with all different email addresses, HelpScout keeps all communication in one place. Easy tagging, searching, task management and more. Plus, everything gets forwarded into HS from Google Apps. What more could you ask for.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I can think of is that the phone app doesn't have all the same capabilities as the desktop app. But, that is ok, better than nothing and you can constantly see improvements coming from their development teams.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great ease of use, highly customizable, support is quick and responsive and answers in less than 24 hours.

We need to make sure that communications come from the correct email aliases - this makes it so easy. Also, internal communication and "notes" feature helped us keep timely information out of Slack and in one place so we always had a reference.

Help Scout review by Santiago V.
Santiago V.

"Lightweight, smart and easy to use"

What do you like best?

- User experience is awesome. Seems like everything is easy to do.

- Support is great. Quick and helpful (most of the times)

- Usage is easy, intuitive and fast

- Reports are basic but at least that's all that we need

- Shortcuts are useful and well thought.

What do you dislike?

- Filters could be improved. They are used mainly as "folders" (which is OK)

- Docs are nice but customization of the design and page is not that easy.

- A bit expensive (IMHO) for more users

- Rigid in some ways, but if you don't want something very specific, it should work

- Mobile apps are OK but not that useful.

- No chat app

- Reports filters for dates suck

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! If you are a small company and wants to fuel your customer support and help desk, go for it.

It's very easy to use, cheap (for what you get), support is nice, you can get stats easily...they have thought about everything. Workflows are easy to configure + tags.

Self support (docs) are a good choice to go with.

We are using it for ticket management, customer support.

It makes it easy to prioritize our tickets, tag them, and see reports.

The interface is well thought, quick, intuitive and easy to configure. In a week we were using it at 100% capacity. Definitely it changed our customer support.

We also use Docs for customer self service (new to us). Easy to manage.

Help Scout review by Hannah W.
Hannah W.

"Nice way to manage product help docs"

What do you like best?

We are happy with Help Scout. Before using Help Scout, we were self-hosting our own help documentation which got tedious. Now, it is much easier for all staff members to add and edit help articles. The support ticket function is also easy to use and our users are able to easily search for topics on any device. The automatic recommendation widget is also handy and we believe it helps reduce help tickets.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if there were more themes to choose from in terms of layout and style. We customized the CSS in a way that worked for us, but it would be nice to be able to choose a layout with a different look and feel. Maybe some sort of theme directory.

We're able to receive and respond to support tickets very easily, as well as manage help documentation.

Help Scout review by Emily I.
Emily I.

"Intuitive helpdesk tool that helps us help users faster"

What do you like best?

The organization. From top-level organization like multiple mailboxes and folders, to tags and labels, to merging conversations and intuitive assigning tools, Help Scout makes it easy to navigate our support queue and get work done efficiently. Help Scout also allows us to create and integrate custom tools and workflows, such as our internal knowledge base and company-specific functions.

What do you dislike?

I'd personally like to see better analytics available in reporting, or more customizable reports, so we could dig deeper into our data to analyze our performance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want the process of helping your customers to be almost as easy as answering emails in your own inbox, you should definitely give Help Scout a try.

Help Scout is our HQ for all customer interactions and issue tracking, which helps us to manage, organize, and respond to tickets across the company. Help Scout's particular layout and team-oriented features help us to collaborate more effectively on giving our customers great customer service.

Help Scout review by Corey L.
Corey L.

"Excellent Way to Consolidate Platforms and Offer Tutorials"

What do you like best?

I love the flexibility and the blog like creation of new knowledgebase docs. The ability to add articles quickly when a new problem comes up has decreased the amount of future calls for that same issue significantly. In addition, the consolidation of our email accounts has been a huge help. Having one centralized inbox has reduced our response times 10 fold. The Hapiness report and the survey in the email signature has aided us in increase our overall NPS score and has allowed us to know who our top performing reps are.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the lack of customization for the article pages and knowledgebase layout. Also, the beacon functionality could be more customizable. It would be great to be able to control more aspects of how the beacon is displayed on each page and what information / articles are made available. There is also a bit of a lack in support when it comes to problems with email. We experience times when emails are attributed to the wrong customer. Lastly, improvements to the woo commerce connection would be appreciated. After several attempts we are still unable to see woo commerce account details on the conversation side bar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get started with transferring your existing terms and conditions into individual articles within the knowledgebase and link to the new knowledgebase from your existing help center or customer service page.

We are reducing the amount of simple customer service calls by drawing attention to the articles that can answer customer questions.

Help Scout review by Celestine O.
Celestine O.

"Great Team Inbox"

What do you like best?

Easy to assign messages to different team member, business hour reporting, ability to see history, and easy to set up different "rules"

What do you dislike?

When you assign an email or message to yourself it automatically opens and take you to the next unassigned message in the inbox instead of keeping you in the message you assigned to yourself. Wish that would change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really great program, It can do a heck of a lot more than we use it for so definitely take a look!

We have our overflow messages come in to a main inbox and it helps us to make sure we are not doubling up and that customers are being responded to in a timely manor.

Help Scout review by Dominick V.
Dominick V.

"Filled with bugs and arrogant support only answering with pre-defined emails."

What do you like best?

The way their features are easy to use and they keep their design minimal.

What do you dislike?

- Filled with bugs so often emails are sent to the wrong email/customer.

- Support hardly reads your question but only respond with pre-defined reply.

- They keep changing pricing often

- They shift responsibility a lot. (ios app bugs: its apple's fault. Problem with notification: its Safari's responsibility. Problems with receiving email: Gmails to blame).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont, Stay away from this company!

Customer communication

Help Scout review by User

"Excellent Tool to Share the Load"

What do you like best?

There are many features I like but I think being able to see when someone is already reading an email or replying to an email helps us from doubling efforts.

What do you dislike?

Our company works out of several Help Scout boxes, for a very long time we were unable to CC multiple Helpscout boxes you could only send an email to one box at time. This was recently fixed, which was awesome!

We handle all of our communication through Help Scout. It's an excellent collaborative tool. We have up to 10+ working out of a box at a time. We can jump in and out of various email boxes in order to assist other departments when the workload becomes lopsided.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Publishing
Administrator in Publishing

"Efficient platform for seamless customer service management"

What do you like best?

Before using Help Scout, our company utilized a shared Outlook folder to manage customer service emails. This was naturally a little unorganized and led to duplicate responses and forgotten messages. Help Scout allows our team to easily assign tasks to coworkers, track whether or not replies have been sent, and add notes. We have never been more organized with customer service!

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike about Help Scout. If I had to choose something, it would be that it is possible to accidentally send a response to a customer if you reply to an email. To be fair, they do warn about this, but some coworkers who use the service less often than others have still done this accidentally in less than ideal situations. I wish there was a way to turn off this functionality altogether (unless I am unaware of how to do so)!

We are solving lost time because we can save common replies and assign tasks to the correct individual. We are making our customer service more efficient and timely because we can check tasks and close tasks in a timely and organized fashion.

Help Scout review by Akesh J.
Akesh J.

"It's good and handy"

What do you like best?

It is helpful for us and handy to use even if we are working on our phones.

Like the simplicity and the features that they have.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing as such for now, all the things are useful for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can use this if you wish to handle the client requests in a proper manner.

This helps us to resolve the cases and keep an update of them in an easy manner and also helping in the help documentation of our service.

Help Scout review by Daniel M.
Daniel M.

"HelpScout helps out!"

What do you like best?

Shared inbox for client support that allows for both individual assignment and group approaches.Cute messages for a clean inbox and helpful tools for annotation and marking issue status.

What do you dislike?

System doesn't retrieve forwarded content. Have to go into outlook for this information. Also, there is no personal stat readout.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep a personal outlook account and move your team to helpscout.

Client support and general inbox. Its streamlined our communuications and automated responses have spend up our reply time.

Help Scout review by Steven G.
Steven G.

"Solid option for small Support Teams"

What do you like best?

Help Scout really makes it simple to set up and run a small support team supporting a small to medium business. Their interface is clean and easy to use, and the integrations are very appreciated, and can add a lot of power to a few agents. Their pricing is also very attractive.

Their support and company culture are also awesome.

What do you dislike?

Not so much dislike, as we simply reached our functional limit and needed something that scaled to a larger business with more integrations and more powerful analytics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider it for smaller teams, with very basic support needs. There's options there for integrations, but the data and analytics are lacking for super meaningful product insights. It's good for day-to-day agent performance though.

Solving the problem of organizing support and getting a unified channel for our customers.

Help Scout review by Erin M.
Erin M.

"HelpScout for Knowledge Base "

What do you like best?

One of the best things about HelpScout is how easily it makes it to create content and manage content. It also provides users with ample integration options. We were able to use a third party to embed our HelpScout knowledge base (articles) directly within our application for ease of access.

What do you dislike?

HelpScout's formatting tools in their articles are unreliable. There are times when formatting does not save correctly and items that have been bolded or italicized do not save as such.

We use HelpScout for 2 things: Case Management and Help Articles. HelpScout is very useful on the Articles front, but we haven't utilized the Case Management tools to the best of our abilities.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"A lightweight tool to support customers"

What do you like best?

I've used help scout to completely overhaul a customer support traffic. It increased our educational video usage and decreased support tickets. The interface is easy to navigate and is intuitive. As someone customer-facing, having all of my customer details in front of me is very important, and I value how well Help Scout does with pulling in contact info, pictures, and info about the person I'm helping.

What do you dislike?

We were not utilizing everything Help Scout has to offer, so I'm sure my qualms are addressed, but I wish there were more flexibility with dashboard configurability. I like the reports, but I'd like more dashboard to easily glance at. One thing that is a bit frustrating sometimes is when you're writing a reply to someone and they send you another email, it isn't clear. It would be helpful to get a notification that says a customer responded in again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really spend time on setting it up. I feel we rushed to get it up and running and may have missed vital settings and configuration options. We got everything integrated and set up for our customers (support site, chat, email aliases) eventually but I wish we payed more attention in the beginning.

As stated above, Help Scout was incredibly helpful to a growing support team. Training new employees on Help Scout took less than a couple hours and we continued to decrease our customer support ticker volume.

Help Scout review by Administrator

"Help Scout has may great features"

What do you like best?

I love the saved replies as well as the workflows. These two options make responding to tickets/emails very easy and consistent. I do like the ability to assign someone else a task or ticket as well. However, these options are also include in most if not all other similar programs.

What do you dislike?

I think the design is something I had to get used to. It may have just been something I was not used to as we were testing multiple options for a help desk system. Another thing that has been a headache is using the workflows and making sure that specific tickets/emails are closed. I have noticed that without closing these, the workflow may automate a task that doesn't need to be automated. It is definitely something the user has to do, but makes it tedious to work with.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend making workflows a little bit easier to work with. Like stated before, I feel that this should make things easier and more automated. However, some tasks have had us paying more attention to details we weren't expecting to watch.

We have solved all ticketing issues. Before we were using only Outlook and chat options to take care of most tasks. We really needed a complete system. We have realized that there are far more things we can do with this type of product. It has increased our productivity in the short time we have used it.

Help Scout review by Jenna G.
Jenna G.

"Great for Organization"

What do you like best?

I like that Help Scout kept our team organized and acted as a universal email inbox that offered a comprehensive layout.

What do you dislike?

I wish the chat feature was more reliable, and the mobile app could have been more stable. Sometimes I would try to log in from my phone but had issues loading pages, which was annoying and frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend Help Scout to others! It is user-friendly and is good if you are working on a team because everyone can work collaboratively. The customer service administrators are knowledgeable and helpful and get you back on track if you run into any issues which is always important! Definitely a 10/10.

Help Scout kept us organized and was convenient if someone was out of work for the day.

Help Scout review by User in Computer Software

"Best Customer Service Software around for high volume business"

What do you like best?

Helpscout is great for many reasons:

+You can see how many customers need help at a glance.

With the inboxes on the side bar you can see how many customers have not received a response, how many need to have an additional response, closed tickets, and your personal inbox of customers you have served.

+if you are going to be out of the office you can send your incoming tickets to the queue.

This will send any tickets you have responded to back to the main inbox while you are away.

+notes and sending to other people.

Being able to add notes and assign the ticket to other people in your organization makes life easy and customers happy for quick responses.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I have found to be an inconvenience with HelpScout is when you have written a note to another party, assigned it, and the customer writes back. When they write back it takes the note out of the assigned inbox and back to the person who sent it over. It would be better if there was a note in the corner placing it in both inboxes and if one of the 2 people respond it leaves both inboxes.

Response times are a huge thing in this day and age. The ability to quickly see what needs to be done so that your team can knock it out quickly is the reason we use HelpScout.

Help Scout review by Kristin B.
Kristin B.

"Really helpful tool!"

What do you like best?

There is a lot of functionality here--you can triage really easily, track all notes, all history on the emails and see all history with that same client at a glance. You can also see how each staff member is faring each day or month to track progress during the day.

What do you dislike?

It's very easy to lose drafts if you type too quickly and the auto-save doesn't always jump in in time.

We use Helpscout to triage all incoming CS emails and communicate with all of our clients.

Help Scout review by Mariano D.
Mariano D.

"Helpscout: A great ticketing and collaboration tool to handle customer requests."

What do you like best?

* WORFLOWS! By far, this is my favorite feature.

* Excellent, logical ticketing system.

* Generous mailbox allotment.

* The ability to set up one mailbox for customers that could be managed by multiple people.

* Well thought out collaborative tools for managing customer needs and expectations.

What do you dislike?

* It can get a little on the expensive side

* Occasional outages during the period we've been using them

We were looking for a system for managing customer requests and needs, and being able to collaborate effectively on requests that required interactions with more than one team member. Helpscout helps us do that, and with workflows it allows us to identify ways to automate processes so that it requires less interaction from us in cases where it isn't necessary. We all love this tool and definitely feel it helps us to support our customers more effectively.

"Help Scout Review"

What do you like best?

I love that you can make internal notes on an email and make an actual ticket instead of an email. That is helpful when we work in Team boxes. Getting to communicate internally through notes and "mentions" makes it easier and more efficient to eliminate sending a separate email from another Dept. I also love their little pictures and messages of encouragement after you've "emptied" a box!

What do you dislike?

I don't like that the statuses automatically default to CLOSED. Because if you're not paying attention, you may forget to change the status. I also didn't like that you couldn't email a HelpScout box from a HelpScout box, but they have recently remedied that issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a little different from a standard email platform (i.e. gmail) but it is very easy to learn and once you know it's features, you can really do a lot with ease. I don't run them a lot, but I do like the features of the data and analysis parts too. I use it in a team/group setting with multiple depts having their own Helpscout boxes, and it's very interesting to see how many emails/tickets are sent/generated, received, average response time, etc. It's just nice to be able to have that data to also decide if more people are needed for a specific task or less people needed to focus efforts in other places.

We use HelpScout as a ticketing system for providing customer service in many facets. It saves time when able to add notes and share things from Dept to Dept without having to create a whole new email thread/chain. Everything is all linked in one chain too. Also the ability to "merge" email threads together if they're about the same topic is very beneficial as well. Being able to change/edit "customers" is nice feature too.

Help Scout review by Isidoro "Roy" J.
Isidoro "Roy" J.

"It works... I guess"

What do you like best?

The GUI is very simple to use and SSO is nice. This isn't a bad tool for very small IT departments and it's a great way for someone new to IT to learn how to ticket. I will have to applaud them on a decent mobile app.

What do you dislike?

There is a noticeable lack of power. Out of all the ticketing services I've used, I liked this the least. Reassigning tickets seemed to be much more cumbersome than needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd probably look into Zendesk first

If you need a ticketing system to track work, this will be fine. If you need something more, I'd look into Zendesk

Help Scout review by Taylor H.
Taylor H.

"Our Go To"

What do you like best?

I love being able to support our users emails with ease. This product is great for managing the incoming emails and tracking the volume that our team is receiving. The multi-folder option is great for diving up the emails between teams.

The game changers for us are the saved reply option and knowledge-base configuration. This has been huge for our team.

There support team kicks butt.

What do you dislike?

The frustrating this is most certainly the amount of down time. Since using Helpscout, our team has experienced a lot of down time. Helpscout is always great at communicating issues and taking ownership of them. It's hard to support our users if the software we use to support them goes down. Hopfully we'll see less down time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know that Helpscout is great for tackling email support. On the downside, there is occasional downtime and as your team expands you may need additional software to make sure response times and workflow stays quick and consistent.

This product has helped us support the many users that we have. Without it we'd be at a loss.

Help Scout review by Sarah C.
Sarah C.

"Helpscout review"

What do you like best?

It's easy to manage help tickets if your main source of inflow is an email address.

What do you dislike?

There's no live chat integration to provide other avenues of contact for your clients. It didn't scale well with our business once we started to grow beyond using an email address.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Help Scout was useful to us in the beginning. It allowed us the email integration and team collaboration on tickets we needed. Their tagging system is very good as well. Our needs just grew beyond only having a support email address for tickets. We needed the ability for clients to contact us in other ways. A live chat integration allows us to observe certain information about the client while they are still on the site, like what feature they were currently using when they experienced an error, or what browser might be causing trouble with our platform. We can get issues resolved faster when we have multiple avenues with which clients can contact us, and we can collaborate and provide better service when the clients are happier and more responsive. Not everyone checks their emails every 2 minutes, but if a push notification for a live chat response goes out, they respond right away.

We help people manage private equity via a SaaS platform, and we need more intuitive information from our help tickets like, "What screen were they on when the experienced the error?" or "What browser are they using?" We needed a tool that helped us to glean that information without having to ask every time.

Help Scout review by Jordan D.
Jordan D.

"Great experience, simple to use, constantly improving"

What do you like best?

How frequently new features are added. Just in the last 12 months there have been 2 or 3 features added that were major wish list items for us.

What do you dislike?

If I had to pick something, I'd say more depth and sortability to the metrics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product, recommend it highly.

We used the multiple mailboxes to sort our clients from their customers, which has really helped us prioritize. Also getting instant feedback on our support quality.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Computer Software

"I Love and Miss Helpscout"

What do you like best?

I love that they are always releasing new features to help make the software better. They recently released a new feature where you click on "Edit this article" directly on a help doc instead of having to search for it in a different tab when you want to edit. I recently had to re-do all of the screenshots in our help docs, and that feature saved me some SERIOUS time! The people are always very responsive to what you have to say. I've gotten in touch a couple of times to make a suggestion and to rave about some other things, and they always seem happy to talk to me. It fits that a producer of CRM has top-notch customer service themselves. :)

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I can't think of anything. No product is perfect, and there are a couple features I'm excited for (they're on your to-do list already, so no point in hashing over them again), but I have no complaints.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid to give them a try. The folks are there to help you out with anything you need, and the product is well worth it.

We do receive a high volume of support requests each day, and we also had a need for help docs to help lessen the load of emails we were getting. HelpScout has pretty seamlessly solved both of these issues for us with an excellent product that I'm more than happy to use and recommend.

Help Scout review by User in Internet

"Helpful product facilitates crucial communications"

What do you like best?

I can assign the appropriate conversations to myself to make sure I never miss communications from clients and can answer their questions right away.

What do you dislike?

The overall organization system takes a little time to get used to. If your not entering the site via a link to a particular conversation, it can be tough to find what you need quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to get acquainted with the platform and all its features before you start communicating with clients.

I am communicating with clients who have questions about article they are hoping or attempting to submit for publication. Help Scout keeps each conversation organized so I can see who had previously responded and make sure we are giving clients the best possible answers across the board.

Help Scout review by Jesse E.
Jesse E.

"Easy to use and wonderful support team"

What do you like best?

We chose Help Scout after researching a few other products: GrooveHQ and Zendesk. The ease of use, reporting options, price, and customer support provided during the trial period won us over.

What do you dislike?

While their workflows are easy to use and provide a lot of functionality, there are a few functions that I feel are missing. Nothing that was a deal breaker, only nice to haves to reduce some manual work and improve notifications.

Providing email support to our large user base, tracking metrics for support volume and quality, external and internal knowledge bases.

Help Scout review by Lucas M.
Lucas M.

"Great Product, even for the free usage"

What do you like best?

The HelpScout ticket platform is easy to use and always improving, with a beautiful interface and interaction with the user they make the support work less painfully. Also, they have a great support team and (in an unrelated note) one of the best newsletter. The saved replies save a lot of time, with variables for customer, mailbox, and user data.

What do you dislike?

The prices for a small company is great, but the conversion to my country currency make it hard to pay. It would be awesome to have custom fields for customers. There is no customization option for the panel style.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, you may not like it or not like some o the aspects, but with a free account you can try and use it as an auxiliary software.

We have a digital product that demands a lot of support, so we decide to move out of the e-mail and start using the Help Scout. The main feature was the multiple user mailbox and the easy of organizing and tag the emails.

Help Scout review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Super simple helpdesk software"

What do you like best?

Its simple.

The emails look like they come from a real person, not a computer.

It works much more like an inbox than some other helpdesk systems.

What do you dislike?

Its not as feature packed as the competition meaning once you've been using it for a while and want to improve your process you can't always do so because they lack the features.

Reporting is also fairly basic at the moment (e.g. doesn't show difference between the tickets waiting on customers or waiting on your team so you can report on SLAs)

Support our customers, easily, as a remote team while also making it super easy for the customers. Its been great. Once the mobile app is improved a little and built for iPad it will be even easier.

Help Scout review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Simple tool for small to medium sized companies"

What do you like best?

The simplicity of HelpScout keeps the learning curve low, which means that most team members can get to work quickly after onboarding.

What do you dislike?

There's not a great range of features or integrations, so we often have to use multiples tools when it would be nicer to have a single support platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's not an all-inclusive tool (not a ton of useful integrations and no ability to create tickets), so HelpScout seems best for small to medium size teams with mild to moderate customer support volume.

Great at resolving high volumes of email and chat requests. We also use their Docs tool which works as a nice, low-level knowledge base.

Help Scout review by Anderson G.
Anderson G.

"Great for general support "

What do you like best?

It has a nice API, which allows integrating data from other systems inside, in the sidebar

What do you dislike?

The API is nice but lacks customizations in the interface. Maybe for security matter, or standardizing, but it would be great to have more freedom on the output of each app.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can try it free with one inbox. Worths a try. And give the API a try. The option to display data from your ecommerce or account system with customer's data right in the ticket is great to improve the context.

Communication with our clients by email (the most common, for now). Good for many team members have access to one email inbox

Help Scout review by Brian R.
Brian R.

"Automatons make things easier"

What do you like best?

This app is very good for team collaboration for help desk support. It is easy to sort incoming tickets from different departments and the automatic actions help filter tickets where they need to go. Aside from that the automatic and canned replies make it easy to get information out fast to the user so that they experience minimal downtime.

What do you dislike?

Some of the statistics are confusing and don't provide the information I would like to see at a moments notice

Getting Tickets resolved quickly with team collaboration.

Help Scout review by Scott L.
Scott L.

"Very solid platform!"

What do you like best?

Great for small-ish teams needing shared inboxes. Tagging, notes, customizable notifications, the feature set is rich and practical. One small feature that really helped was the ability to response to incoming tickets from an email inbox. It allowed us to respond to requests without logging in (which was convenient when out of the office).

What do you dislike?

Would love to be able to automatically push reminders to teammates with old unanswered tickets. Perhaps this functionality exists and our admin wasn't using it, but it would have been appreciated.

Customer service/success across a wide variety of users and situations. Kept us organized and accountable as a team.

"Help Scout, New CRM "

What do you like best?

I like that it is Consumer "centric", feedback ability is awesome after every response, we can identify issues if we get a bad review

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it auto-opens a case once you are done with a previous, allow me to choose which case I want to work on next rather than opening another from the queue

customer support related issues for a tech co, benefits are getting good or bad feedback from email response, we can better identify the customer's needs

Learning about Help Scout?

* We monitor all Help Scout reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
Help Scout