HipChat

4.0

Team chat that's actually built for business. Persistent, searchable, and loaded with goodies: video calling, screen sharing, and the security your IT team craves.

Work for HipChat?

Learning about HipChat?

HipChat Reviews

Showing 730 HipChat reviews
HipChat review by Zach S.
Zach S.

"Could be better - plenty of other options"

What do you like best?

There isn't anything in particular that I "like best" about HipChat. It's just a regular instant messenger without anything special to it. I do like that I can easily add new emoticons on their online portal, but that's about it.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that an admin has control over the emoticon sizes. I understand making a limit within a room, but individual chats with coworkers shouldn't be limited. I also dislike the search function. If I need to find an old conversation, it opens a web-portal to conduct the search because the chat's aren't stored locally. I understand the thought process behind this, but there could easily be a way to make this work within the application itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think HC is getting phased out and is moving into Stride for new customers, so I'm unsure there would be a recommendation to consider here -- I will say that it's completely fine. Any complaints are just quirks of mine where I prefer a difference system that does have the features I want, as trivial as they may be.

Its an instant messaging platform. All offices should have one, especially if your company has multiple offices in different locations (or multiple floors).

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about HipChat
HipChat review by Nacho R.
Nacho R.

"Herramienta de equipo remoto"

What do you like best?

Se puede utilizar dentro de un programa o como una aplicación, a pesar de estar fuera del lugar de trabajo. Toma en consideración las salas de grupo, se pueden compartir gifs, organizar ejercicios, etc, también puedes usar tus propios emoticones y utiliza un karma incluido.

También me gusta la disposición de la pantalla de inicio, estaba menos ocupada y más funcional, especialmente el tamaño de la barra lateral.

What do you dislike?

Es un poco dificil usarla con los clientes porque la mayoría no lo tienen y tendrían que descargar el software aparte de los que ya usan. Debido a que paso el mismo tiempo comunicándome interna y externamente, se hizo más fácil usar software que es más ampliamente conocido.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es una gran herramienta desde la perspectiva del usuario, creo que HipChat ha seguido mejorando en su esfuerzo por mantenerse al ritmo, pero siempre ha estado a la cabeza en términos de llamadas.

La capacidad de comunicarse con los miembros de nuestro equipo, pero la capacidad de seguirlo es aún más importante. Eso es lo que hemos podido hacer con HipChat, podríamos decir mejor el estado de diferentes proyectos en proceso, no solo completos o incompletos.

What Video Conferencing solution do you use?

HipChat review by Candace G.
Candace G.

"HipChat"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use this program. It's great for connecting with everyone in the office and super easy to use. Making groups is easy and convenient.

What do you dislike?

I would love for the emoji system to be less basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is definitely a great way to communicate with and connect with your team. You can use it on your computer or in a mobile capacity on your phone or tablet. The video call feature is also very helpful, though not always the best quality. While it is very easy to use I would love to see more Google Hangout inspired user interfacing and ability to attach larger files easier. But for a way to connect and communicate it gets the job done and is definitely a great resource/tool.

Being able to connect with different groups of people or everyone in the office quickly without having to call or email. The instant nature of it is great. You can share files and links and it's really wonderful and convenient. And the fact that you can download the app and use it anywhere is essential for my work.

HipChat review by Billy H.
Billy H.

"Using Hipchat as IM with Developers"

What do you like best?

1. Hipchat is easy to use and can be used in the browsers that I use (Chrome, Firefox, IE)

2. Hipchat has a mobile app on the Apple App Store (I use an iOS device) and the UI is very friendly

3. I can create groups for a specific project or chat with individuals that's also on my company domain

4. History is automatically loaded when I go back to the room or people

5. Files and Links are stored on the side for each chat

What do you dislike?

1. Shortcuts are not customizable.

2. Status is Available, Away or DND

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricing: Hipchat is a pretty standard but powerful chat program in the Atlassian suite of programs. It does what most other chat/IM tools do (like Skype for Business) but without the phone/video conferencing and screen share.

General communication for project teams or 1:1 chat with other individuals within my organization

HipChat review by Ian C.
Ian C.

"Hipchat is an excellent collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

The interface is very well-done and the integration with Confluence, JIRA, Bitbucket, and Redmine is very slick. We've used a number of chat-based collaboration tools including Openfire, Skype, and others. Hipchat is the best. The availability of Hipchat across platforms is very helpful and it's easy to transition between systems. I have both Windows and Mac desktops. and chat messages appear on both systems without any problems. The Mac client offer a very useful screen capture function, though Windows client does not. The no-cost edition of Hipchat has easily met our needs. The cloud-hosted edition of Hipchat offered us the benefits of very low implementation and maintenance resource requirements.

What do you dislike?

Not a dislike but would like SSO integration for cloud-based HipChat and also integration with other IM services. This would allow for much easier deployment across our organization. This limitation has meant we are only using it within our DevOps group. While its not problem in the context of how we use Hipchat, there is a limit on chat history retention.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider whether it meets your requirements. Cheap for small team but for mid-size might be costly.

Team communication using chat. quickly sharing screenshots, integration with notices from Confluence and JIRA. Hipchat rooms can be linked to specific JIRA projects and that has proven very helpful to our DevOps team.The alert provided by JIRA help us to react more quickly to critical tickets, in comparison to email notifications.

HipChat review by Megan T.
Megan T.

"HipChat - simple and sleek"

What do you like best?

I like the user interface - super clean and easy to use, only the most necessary functions are present so there's no clutter. The silly emojis allow me to add personality to otherwise "professional" correspondence. And it's easy to share files.

What do you dislike?

The notifications are inconsistent - sometimes I get them on my phone when I'm offline, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I receive an email that one of my rooms was updated, sometimes I don't. I also wish there was a free video conferencing ability. We were able to use it for a couple of weeks for some reason without paying, and then it was removed. It was a great integrated video / call feature; why make me go to a separate tool that will allow me to do it for free?

I work on a fairly remote team - 3 of us are onsite and 2 are off. HipChat allows us to break all our team projects into different rooms, as well as other topics of interest, and keep our team conversation regarding each project in its specific chat room. This makes it easy to get a quick update of where a project is without having to call or email a remote team member. Also it simply reduces email clutter for us, because we'd probably be sending quite a few without it. It's also more compliant for our organization than Slack is, which is why we use it.

HipChat review by Elnaz S.
Elnaz S.

"Great communication tools at a good price"

What do you like best?

I like the user interface. It is simple, clean and very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it does have bugs....where it randomly kicks you out of your account or cannot log back into one's account. But typically it works again after several attempts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product very easy to use. Very affordable and has some of the same features and benefits as some of the similar more expensive solutions out there. There are times where one might run into issues or when the app might require some improvements in terms of bug fixes, but they are generally good in addressing those and fixing those in a timely manner. Again, for what one would pay, this is a very good solution. I would also add that this is most likely tailored to smaller to mid-size organization. So if you work in a smaller team or smaller company, this tool would be ideal.

Communication with peers and with different departments at work.

HipChat review by Junyang X.
Junyang X.

"After cycling through 3-4 chat programs, finally settled on HipChat"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is a simple, easy to ease, peer-to-peer chat program. It does log all the activities, including chats, uploads, images, screenshots. It also allows you to create as many custom rooms for discussion or problem solving, for example, we generally setup a room for each JIRA being worked on so the right people always has access to the latest information. The activity log is crucial to be able to dig through chats and information sent a month or even several months back. Don't forget about the customized emojis (shared across entire company)

What do you dislike?

Default sends email notification to user, clogs up inbox. Also, the PC/mobile synchronization can be off sometimes. Would be nice to have more default themes to match backgrounds. Search function can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free, lightweight, less cumbersome and "HIP" than slack... the irony

Reduces bulk of 1-liner emails. Issues can be discussed and resolved more quickly rather than waiting for a response on email.

HipChat review by Alicia G.
Alicia G.

"Makes me feel like part of a team!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can see who's online, who's on their cell phone, be able to create conversations with groups and one-off individuals, send emojis and send attachments.

What do you dislike?

I like the concept of the video chat, but I feel it's not executed as well as some other video based softwares (such as Zoom). It's great for just video conferencing, but if you need to screen share, it can be a bit laggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a way to get your remote team connected, HipChat is a great software. It's great for quick meetings when you just need to connect face-to-face, but if you need to do more "robust" screen sharing, I would suggest jumping to another software for that level of detail.

We are a remotely based work force, so being able to connect with my team in real-time (instead of back and forth through email) is fantastic.

HipChat review by Sujata G.
Sujata G.

"HipChat - Simple tool, but great at its function."

What do you like best?

The best part about Hipchat is its simplistic GUI. You will find everything on one page. The page is very well divided into Rooms, people, chat content and Members involved.

It is very easy to find any room(group) or people by just scrolling up and down. Once you select any group, you will be able to see the members of it on left side. Even availability status is provided.

It also provide file sharing option and large amount of text which is not supported by many other chat apps.

Another best thing is it keeps history, so no hassle when finding some conversations. Search history tab is great help for that.

Its Web as well as Desktop app, both are awesome!

What do you dislike?

Hipchat is simple and just does everything what an Chat app is supposed to do.

According to me, I don't have any thing to dislike it, but yes more emoji's will definitely make chatting more fun at work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it and you will love the way it works. Simple and best. Best for team interaction and information sharing.

Conveying any message is very simple, just post in the group and its pops up so very less chances of any one missing it.

Every time we just can't go to other desk, so its very handy for small talks and file sharing.

Even at different location conveying messages has become easy. It also save lot of efforts during calls.

HipChat review by Douglas B.
Douglas B.

"Clean interface but sometimes too simple"

What do you like best?

It is definitely simple and the interface is also simple. I have my groups and the people to whom I have already talked in the left panel, easy to find them. The chat screen is also simple to understand and read.

What do you dislike?

For windows, the application does not works perfectly. In some way the borders are not respected by the main content, and the pointer of the mouse is not exactly pointing to the right place, I would say that it is not correctly calibrated, I am always trying to find the right place to click, what makes it weird. Though the interface is simple I fell that it could have more options like right-click in the name and some options, like sending a personal message or email, or maybe see the profile of that person.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, go an try.

As a IT Audit team we give some support to other tech teams when them asked for our help, it makes the communication between teams quicker.

HipChat review by Natarajan R.
Natarajan R.

"Best Interconnecting tool"

What do you like best?

This tool helps us to connect with our colleagues and creating groups for resolving the complaints from the employees and sharing the pics and files can be done in simple way. The app in our smart phone makes us to reply instantly for the queries and doubts from the employees. Video calling facility help us with clear integration makes us happy and more effective with on sight workers.

What do you dislike?

Nothing could be dis-liked about this tool honestly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best tool to mingle with your co-workers, Try the best and will continue with the best.

Sharing knowledge to our co-workers and passing the updates from our organisation and can get some feedback's personally from our employees and group communications from different departments is very helpful. This helps us in giving quick resolution from all the globe.

HipChat review by Andrew S.
Andrew S.

"HipChat is Where it's at"

What do you like best?

I like that Hipchat provides an immediate avenue for inter- and intra-departmental communication. Much like Skype or Slack, it makes it remarkably easy to send a quick request to a colleague or simply blow off some steam when the pressure's on. Additionally, we've configured it with SurveyMonkey via Zapier, so we created a chat room that shows us real-time responses to customer satisfaction surveys.

What do you dislike?

The file-sharing component could use some work. It's not bad, but it'd be nice to get a live view of things like Excel files, InDesign files and the like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

From my personal experience, I recommend it, especially if you work in a marketing environment where details can change on the fly and you need to immediately communicate to your team or a certain colleague. Plus, it's fun. The Atlassian team created a great batch of animated emojis and even give you the capability to create your own.

Like I mentioned above, we've solved the problem of having to log into SurveyMonkey to view customer feedback since it's all right there in HipChat right now. I've also realized that sometimes it's easier to convey ideas and bounce them back and forth with colleagues via chat as opposed to right there in person. It's also great that HipChat keeps a running log of your conversations so you can go back and search for a particular piece of information if you've forgotten something or need to recover a certain file.

HipChat review by Jacob C.
Jacob C.

"Hipchat Review"

What do you like best?

I really like the idea of it to chat with people across different orgs at once. It was my first time using a chat system like this. I like that I was able to create groups and have instant conversations with local and non-local teams at once. It was easy to learn.

What do you dislike?

The UI was not that great. It was not customizable at all. IT was hard to had documents from Google Drive. They were able to get a connection with Google later on but it didn't work at times. That made it hard to share docks with people quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say really compare this product with Slack. I believe those two are the best but Hipchat is cheaper right now. I feel HipChat can get the job done but lacks some key fun features that work great with making teams more cohesive.

The business problems we're trying to solve was communication. Communication is key in a company to make it work. It was to help us move fast and really connect with people. The benefits were great at first but wish they had more document sharing. I believe now it does but when I used it, they did not.

"Quick Communication"

What do you like best?

It is easy to see who is online, start a chat and share files back and forth. I also like the ability to create new groups on the fly, without having to have an administrator involved. The ability to tag or mention different groups of users within a group depending on the purpose of a comment is helpful.

What do you dislike?

The image uploading tool can be a little cumbersome to use, and sometimes the file is added without an opportunity to preview it or know what it is going to look like. Depending on the organization's setup, the sign in process can be a bit tedious for users that are frequently moving between different networks

Recommendations to others considering the product

Create groups for specific items, leave others more open ended for general conversation. Don't lock down the privacy of groups too much, never know when someone else may need to ask another group a question.

HipChat allows different teams to communicate and share information easily without having to track down a single person just to find out it was actually someone else that was needed. We use it very collaboratively to ask questions and get the best response quickly.

HipChat review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"HipChat & Coffee (A Chat solution that is Great for businesses, anysize)"

What do you like best?

List of files and links used in conversation makes work easier. Also, it allows you to communicate effectively and quickly. UI is very intuition and anyone who has used any chat app in the past such as IRC, AIM or even competitor products will know exactly what to do and how to do it upon opening the app for the first time. I have used JIRA extensively in both my current and past jobs and I believe one of the biggest advantages to HipChat is its integration with other Atlassian tools like JIRA and Confluence. HipChat helps the team communicate with each other outside of emails and the above integration helps with building an entirely comprehensive ecosystem around it.

What do you dislike?

The two most obvious things Hipchat is lacking is emoji reactions to messages and threaded conversations. There are rare circumstances that your messages fails to be sent. Maybe easier to grant permissions to certain users. It has many updates, and sometimes the software will freeze up when using it or chats will stay in a state of limbo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always do due diligence as there a number of options and vendors. Ask questions and make sure the solution meets the use case. Just because a solution is right for one organization, doesn't mean it will fit others needs.

Group chatting, easier communication and team collaboration, higher level of productivity and reduce miscommunications. It's less of a challenge to be not on the same page as your teammates.

Create internal/operational efficiencies

Improve business process outcomes

HipChat review by Leith M.
Leith M.

"Simple, no frills chat software."

What do you like best?

What I like best about HipChat is that it works. Other software applications I've used for work either don't provide a desktop app, or their desktop app is full of bugs and crashes constantly. HipChat is a seamless, simple chat software that allows you to communicate easily with coworkers in an unlimited variety of rooms or one-on-one. There are also some fun features like personalized nicknames and customizable emojis, but really the primary goal of this software is the chat feature. HipChat knows what it is, and it does it well.

What do you dislike?

HipChat got rid of the surprise Giphy feature, where you just type in a word and a random gif pops up. That was a really fun feature that our team loved to use to lighten the mood. I don't know why they got rid of it :(

Easy communication with people within the company on a secure software platform that is easy to implement and intuitive to use.

HipChat review by Jesse S.
Jesse S.

"Easy to Use and Gets the Job Done"

What do you like best?

Simplicity. It's a simple communications tool for my company that never crashes or has any issues. It does exactly what we need it to do - chat with the right person at the right time without problems.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a better list of emojis. Often I just want to use the iPhone emojis or Twitter emojis, but this list is completely different and most are quite odd. I'd also prefer simplicity in inserting GIFs, like the iPhone keyboard does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a no thrills simple chat feature for your company to use, HipChat is the way to go!

We're having instantaneous communication, whether one-to-one or in groups, and solving problems. For a business that excels in email, we still find tremendous value in quick instant messaging applications. On occasion, Google Hangouts has died, and we've used the HipChat video call to fulfill our tasks.

HipChat review by Chantal W.
Chantal W.

"AIMS on overload."

What do you like best?

This chat platform is the easiest to use, this is going back to the days of using AIMS. The ability to quickly create groups, build different rooms, add, tag and create your own emojis.

What do you dislike?

i'm a big fan of the website version of the chat, I noticed on my I7 Windows 10 computer, with 8GB of ram there was a bit of a lag receiving the messages or the scroll bar doesn't refresh to the current text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it some time, it's a bit of a learning curve depending on what you switch from, but it is well worth taking the time to get it learn it.

We post case work for technicians to pick up on incoming or schedule appointments. This helps us communicate conveniently.

HipChat review by User

"Great Way to Communicate Among Offices"

What do you like best?

I love being able to talk in real-time with my coworkers. I don't have to worry about "did they see that email? When will they respond to that email?" Also, I like that I can use it on my phone but don't have to get notifications if I don't want to, and I can always log on to the online module at a meeting or tradeshow to quietly keep in touch with my staff.

What do you dislike?

When using rooms as opposed to individual chats, I don't get a flashing notification if someone has sent something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Atlassian is changing the product or discontinuing the product, but I could be wrong. I don't know if people can download what I have, just HipChat. But I really like how easy HipChat is to use. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a chat program like the old AIM or MSN Messenger.

Our office is located in two different office suites, so we can now chat quickly without getting up and interrupting them with patients, and we can ask questions to them quickly when patients are standing in front of us or on the phone asking. It also sets a good impression for our patients when we sound like we know what we're talking about.

HipChat review by Elena T.
Elena T.

"Buena comunicación "

What do you like best?

Hipchat permite una comunicación directa y entretenida con tus compañeros. Me agrada que tenga un registro de la comunicación y los archivos enviados. Lo que más me gusta es que permite trabajar eficazmente aunque este en contacto con un compañero que no tenga el mismo horario. La plataforma crea un entorno para tener largas discusiones con respuestas rápidas y encima con gifs :)

What do you dislike?

El punto negativo más importante es que falla la plataforma al menos una vez al mes, y es díficil volver a ponerlo en marcha, cuando pasa eso tenemos que usar otras plataformas. También hay demasiadas actualizaciones, casi todas las semanas hay que actualizarlo y llega a ser muy molesto estar todo el rato con la notificación...

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recomendaría HipChat como una gran herramienta para mantener a los equipos de comunicación en general si trabajan en diferentes usos horarios. Puede ver los comentarios y actualizaciones de todos los demás. Pero aún queda un poco que mejorar (las caídas).

Permite la comunicación grupal y la colaboración en un lugar simple y fácil de leer que es el objetivo (y si necesidad de tener el mismo horario).

HipChat review by Ana S.
Ana S.

"Hipchat is the most fun and quick way to communicate in the office"

What do you like best?

What I like best about it is that it saves up time. I don't have to go around the office asking things to different people which makes you waste time that you actually need for something you're doing in that exact moment. (I do exercise, don't worry)

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that it doesn't have all the emojis. (I know this sounds childish, I'm sorry I'm a millennial with an office job for the first time in my life and I need to make it fun)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend to encourage have ALL employees to use it. This way for instance, if I'm used to using this method, I know everyone else does and I don't have to switch between email, call, hipchat.

Like I said, it's solving the amount of time you take between sending an email to a person and allowing that person to write back AND/OR walking up to that person's desk. I've realized it gives that touch of informality to a formal work space where people express themselves while still getting things done faster.

HipChat review by Ryan R.
Ryan R.

"Hipchat is good & reliable"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is very easy to use both online and desktop. It make it easy to share images & data and its friendly for people with all different kinds of tech background.

What do you dislike?

I dont love hipchat because of how difficult it is to get in touch with certain people on the team. Sometimes I try to speak to operations but cant without advising the whole entire company. I wish there was some sort of hashtag that I could do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should totally use it it is amazing and I would highly recommend it definitely reach out to me with any questions thanks!

It looks easy and quick communication with my team and with the company and the CEO. Its also easy to chat with people in different time zones and

HipChat review by Rajmohan M.
Rajmohan M.

"HipChat - Best communication tool with colleagues"

What do you like best?

This tool helps us to collaborate with our co-workers. It is very easy to use in our smartphones with great interface. The chats by creating groups and multiple chatting, Sharing the screenshots and notifications options helps us to give quick resolution.

What do you dislike?

It takes time to load in mobile and app crashing issue let's it down at new updates and it is good only after some bug fixes..

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very easy to communicate with your colleagues. Try it once and experience the best way of communication.

No need to run and elaborate the complaints to tech teams. It can be done from the place at your fingertips. Sharing reports to the concern teams in HipChat reduces human efforts and saves time.

HipChat review by Dustin H.
Dustin H.

"Easy to Use, Simple Interface"

What do you like best?

HipChat has a simple to use interface that seems to always work (it's never crashed), the desktop app is also complemented by a solid mobile app with the same strengths. It's easy to setup and jump in and out of team-specific rooms. I also like how you can ping/call out specific users within a chatroom.

What do you dislike?

The app doesn't feel as streamlined or polished as something like Skype. It would be nice if HipChat enabled users to changed themes within the interface to make it personalized and more fun.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free version and see if it meets your needs and if it will fit within your company's workflow.

We use HipChat to communicate 1:1 and across multiple teams within our company. HipChat serves as our company-wide instant communication platform.

HipChat review by Guzyal G.
Guzyal G.

"HipChat - tool for effective communication"

What do you like best?

It's a very quick, intuitive tool for instant communication between individuals and within a group. I work in a company of about 200 people and HipChat makes it extremely easy to shoot a quick message to anyone instantly.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. It did require a few mins to install on a computer- but that's how all programs are.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product, both for bigger organisations and for smaller startups with just a few people. Very easy to install on various platforms, intuitive and fast. It is possible to create different groups for different teams - makes collaboration even more effective and quick.

Quick and instant communication between the employees without interrupting workflow. Can be installed on any computer, laptop of phone - so anyone who is away from their desk or works from home can still use HipChat for work purposes.

HipChat review by teresa p.
teresa p.

"collaboration between my office colleagues"

What do you like best?

is an excellent tool with a very easy management you can create different rooms, each to communicate something different if you give it, you can also make file transfers with the people who are at that moment, besides being able to send emails, besides all these potentials options that the application has allows you to make video conferences with great quality.

What do you dislike?

There are really very few things, the ones that I dislike, among them is that sometimes notifications do not reach me, maybe because of the volume of rooms where I am, sometimes there is an error when I try to start a session but after several attempts wonderfully

Recommendations to others considering the product

excellent product very easy and costs much less than its competitors and is at the height of applications of its kind.

within the company we communicate, for the different projects where we apply, whether from databases, software engineering, etc., we use different rooms for each specialty.

HipChat review by Jasmine Y.
Jasmine Y.

"Great collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and has a lot of flexibility for customization.

It's great for group chat as well as individual chats.

The search chat history functionality is very nice to have.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes using hipchat on the computer and on mobile device at the same time causes issues with messages displaying on mobile but not displaying on computer.

There's a lag for one of the devices to catch up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Establish clear and solid administration policies for how your company wants to use HipChat. It's a powerful tool and works great when administered correctly.

We also use Cisco Jabber at work but the chat room functionality in Jabber is not as effective. We needed an easy way for multiple people to communicate in real time.

We also use bots to alert certain chat rooms when there are errors or issues with a system.

HipChat review by Annie P.
Annie P.

"Hipchat"

What do you like best?

There are never any cliches or times when it runs slow, I am always immediately able to contact the person that I want to. I also love that the conversations stays forever so that I am able to go back and refer something in a previous conversation.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the audio on the video chat is a little difficult to get set up, but that could also just be a personal computer error.

I am able to contact people in my office immediately that are on the opposite end from me to be able to more efficiently solve problems that include other departments help. Along with that I am easily able to create groups with multiple people that help solve group projects.

HipChat review by Dave T.
Dave T.

"HipChat works well for weaning your company off internal email"

What do you like best?

There's plenty to like: you can give as much or as little control to users as you like (to create rooms, add custom icons, etc); easy to administrer; integrates into Jira so we can notify a room on a new issue; good clients for Web, Windows, Mac, and even Linux.

What do you dislike?

Atlassian has been slow to add new features (such as threading or adding emoji to respond to someone else's message); occasionally I get asked why we don't use Slack

Recommendations to others considering the product

HipChat has just introduced a "next-gen" product they will be migrating all HipChat users to, called Stride. So if you setup HipChat today, you should be able to migrate to Stride easily down the road.

Internal email has essentially been eliminated. Remote staff are more involved and in the loop.

"Hipchat Review"

What do you like best?

It is so convenient. I can have a conference room to chat with multiple people at the same time. Also, I like that if I am offline when someone sends me a message, that message will go to my inbox so that I know someone sent me a message and I can log in to respond.

What do you dislike?

I just wish that I can save my password and I can auto log in whenever I open the website. I know it is more secure but it is like an extra step for me to log in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an affordable tool to keep everyone in your company connected

It solves the problem of locating my colleagues in order to have a conversation with them. Now even my colleagues are in meeting, they can still give me a quick response if the issue is urgent

HipChat review by Administrator

"Great Program and getting better!"

What do you like best?

I have been using hip chat for almost 10 years now, I like that it is easy to use and deploy. Also the various ways to access it. You can be on computer or portable device, and you wont miss anything.

What do you dislike?

The app does not work well with Apple devices. Not matter what I did I could not get notifications. I tried different way of changing the settings, but it seem the app had to be on at all times for it to work. That was a battery hog.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has worked well for me, in multiple implementations, from Pharmaceutical Manufacturing to a Non-Profit.

At the Pharmaceutical company it was part of our incident management center. Simple and quick to use during emergency management.

Quick Chat solution. Need to get a hold of someone do it quick on hip chat. Also for a War Room, for FDA visits. Such a great way of communicating quickly and effectively.

HipChat review by User

"Hip Chat, keeps you connected"

What do you like best?

Hip Chat allows me to stay connected with every member I work with. Whether it is my manager, customers, store managers, etc. It keeps every single person in touch in an easy and effective way.

What do you dislike?

They only downside of hipchat is that some people might not respond right away to your message. That's not necessarily on Hipchat but sometimes a message goes unnoticed for am extended amount of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I really see no downside to hipchat. It's private so the messages are within the company and it also allows for companies to maintain solid communication constantly.

We are solving communication issues. Hipchat allows us to stay connected constantly. No matter where you are. Whether you're in the office, working from home, etc. You will stay connected with Hip Chat. It's a great tool to keep communication afloat.

HipChat review by Jaime B.
Jaime B.

"No-frills, but useful"

What do you like best?

The best part of hipchat are the "rooms", it's nice to be able to jump into conversations with colleagues without the dreaded email chains. It's also quite useful for seeing who is online, or available at a certain time.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an ability to delete or edit chats. It is occasionally unreliable and has to be opened via a web browser. The initial settings have on-screen pop-ups and sound notifications, which is potentially problematic if you are sharing your screen with a client. I have changed all of my settings to avoid these scenarios.

Cross-team communication is definitely aided by HipChat. It makes communicating quicker and more casual. It's really nice when you need to follow up with a colleague about something that you've previously emailed about, or to take conversations about clients "off-line"

HipChat review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Great for web-based chat, not much else"

What do you like best?

HipChat integrates so cleanly with the rest of the Atlassian suite and is fairly straightforward to setup and configure with Active Directory. The web-based administration is pretty good and the web-based chat client is fine for most use cases. I really like the simplicity of the Android mobile application and it's fairly easy to mute all alerts/notifications so you are constantly not getting pinged.

What do you dislike?

The desktop fat client is one of the worst performing applications I still am forced to use on a regular basis. The application is constantly lagging, crashing, and useless for almost all daily effort. The integration to various 3rd party or non-Atlassian plugins are lacking in functionality and it is much more difficult to integrate to things like Jenkins than other popular chat applications. The 1 to 1 and group video chats are pretty much unusable. The performance of the video makes it worse than almost every other video tool out there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless there is a valid business case or licensing reason to not use Slack, use Slack. HipChat is probably the next best shared/team/persistent chat solution to Slack, with all others coming in far behind.

Cross collaborative agile projects and teams who already use Atlassian tools will find benefit with being able to work together with tight integration in the Atlassian ecosystem. Ops teams tracking for production support issues and for cross timezone work is pretty helpful.

HipChat review by Carlos G.
Carlos G.

"Hipchat is a great tool for communication and collaboration"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is very easy to use and integrates well with other Atlassian tools such as JIRA. You can create Hipchat rooms to organize your conversations and invite the people that you need. You have the option to start a Hipchat room from a JIRA ticket as well which is very convenient to discuss issues. The search capability works very well. The quality of video and audio (for video conferencing) is great.

What do you dislike?

If you have many rooms, sometimes it can be hard to keep track of all of them. Some messages may be missed. It can be distracting if people abuse the use of Hipchat.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check with your teams if they think Hipchat helps them with the communication flow. I've heard from some people that it can be distracting, so make sure that this is not the case and that it's use to make teams more efficient. Also, check out the integration with Jira, it's very good.

Communication can be challenging, especially if they are distributed. Hipchat helps keep people in the loop. Since our teams are using other Atlassian tools, Hipchat is a good fit for us since we're using other Atlassian tools and the integration among them works well.

HipChat review by User

"Acceptable chat client, would prefer better integration"

What do you like best?

File sharing and link sharing functions are nice. Sending message to your email when not logged in is also helpful. The most used function at the company I work for is the chat rooms for each department.

What do you dislike?

I vastly prefer Google Hangouts for a couple reasons and they both have to do with integration. 1. Seamless integration into the GSuite email system. I hate bouncing back and forth between Gmail and HipChat. 2. The file sharing doesn't compare to the Google capabilities. It's a perfectly fine chat client, but I feel that if you're a GSuite user it's kind of superfluous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're already in GSuite, don't bother. If you're not, however, this can be an extremely useful communication tool for your company.

Before the company I work for made the jump to GSuite, HipChat was a valuable tool for communicating quickly. The group chat function is especially helpful for coordinating daily tasks between departments.

HipChat review by Vernon F.
Vernon F.

"Bare bones and basic "

What do you like best?

As a cross platform team chat client, it’s easy to get started with HipChat very very quickly. A great way to share photos of work with the team, or yourself.

What do you dislike?

Default set of emoji are pretty ugly and too easily triggered in the natural course of typing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atlassian Stride May be worth evaluating first. I’m not sure whether HipChat will continue to be supported. That being said, we haven’t needed support.

It allows our team to communicate regardless of who’s in the office or working from home today. It’s chat, so unlike email, no need to delete or organise messages.

HipChat review by User in Higher Education

"A very clean and efficient way to communicate with co-workers"

What do you like best?

I like that we can create many different rooms to split people up based on the groups they are working with. I also like the clear timestamp so you know what is new and what is old. I like how it shows a person's name, but you actually use their username in order to differentiate between people, especially those with similar or same names.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing glaring that I would say I dislike. I would note that I only use this during and for work, and I never use it for personal use. Though it doesn't seem like it is solely focused for those in a workplace setting, it doesn't provide enough convenience to use it instead of iMessaging or even something like Facebook Messanger.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up "Rooms" based on your needs, and use short names to easily tell the difference between them. Also, keep your tabs in the left column opened up for you to easily access previous conversations you've had. I've found no need to delete or remove chat from that sidebar, as it's more than likely I will want to contact that room or person again at some point.

Faster and more efficient communication! Prior, we would rely on email, which some people don't check all the time, or have trouble tracking the thread. With HipChat, we have a thread that replicates a much more casual style than traditional email format.

HipChat review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Fun Inter company-Communication Tool "

What do you like best?

This app is easy to use and understand. I like the availability feature - you can mark yourself as "available," "away," or "do not disturb." There are a lot of fun features to use while in the app like using emoticons. There is a great feature you can use to select which people you want to be in a chat room or you can just chat one-on-one. It is easy to copy and paste links and share content with your coworkers. It is nice to use this for an easy answer when on the phone or don't want to fill up your email inbox with something quick. My team likes to use it for asking questions to the group or getting advice. It's nice that we can help each other through such an easy method.

What do you dislike?

I wish they had a GIF bar or memes in addition to the emoticons. Sometimes it lags when there are internet issues. It can be distracting at work sometimes. As with any communication method, things can get lost in translation when not meeting person to person. Its use is not required in our company so that means that not all departments or people are using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At least consider it!

Easier than email to quickly chat with Co-workers. See when coworkers are online, trade files or screenshots and easily solve issues while over the phone. It is a very quick way to get a hold of co-workers.

HipChat review by Brittany G.
Brittany G.

"A Simple Office Communication Tool"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is easy to learn (especially with prior knowledge of Google Hangouts or Skype) and allows coworkers to effectively communicate with each other across offices.

What do you dislike?

Getting added to the appropriate rooms was a bit of a pain (figuring out who had permission to add me) and sometimes the system randomly logs me out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a pretty easy transition from most other office communication tools, just be sure to take advantage of the rooms feature which is pretty unique!

Inter-office communication. Our company doesn't have a ton of face to face meetings so being able to ask quick questions and share proofs for critique is very important. Hipchat has been a great solution for this.

HipChat review by Ashton N.
Ashton N.

"Easy to use, handy, and fun"

What do you like best?

I like how it allows you to create your own emojis to use within your work place. This allows for a little bit of fun between coworkers. They allow gifs to be used as well which can lend to a more light hearted atmosphere at work. I like the notifications you can turn on and off with this program. I like the ease of opening once you've installed the application on your computer. Overall it's easy to use and pretty straight forward.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there always seemed to be an update. It stalled getting started with work in the morning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool to keep departments organized and in instant communication with each other. It's faster than email and gets questions answered and tasks delegated faster when everyone is involved.

This system helped keep all of our department together at our fingertips. It allowed one agent to post a question for all the see and then the supervisors would respond to it and then anyone else who may run across this message can review the answer at a later time by scrolling back up to it from the earlier conversation.

HipChat review by Eduardo M.
Eduardo M.

"HipChat: the smart communication platform"

What do you like best?

The variety of unique features that HipChat offers create a work-friendly experience that makes a big difference when communicating with other co-workers. HipChat enables the user to easily screen share with other team members, a feature that is essential for any business or organization team. Also, the straightforward drag and drop file sharing feauture simplifies the whole experience.

What do you dislike?

One of the few things I disliked about HipChat is the frequent connection issues and bugs that can hinder the comunication of the team. Also, sometimes the notifications and even some messages will take a while to be sent and recieved due to slow servers. This can cause HipChat to be a little inconsistent from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using HipChat to develop team projects and colaborations. The groups feature offered by hipchat is useful to seperate the different topics and conversations.

I am working on colthing design and manufacturing. HipChat make it easier to comunicate and share files with my fellow team members.

HipChat review by Delia P.
Delia P.

"HipChat is the best for me."

What do you like best?

It is a fast and simple tool to do chat with my colleagues I work in an organization of around 500 individuals and HipChat makes it simple to send a message to anybody quickly.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, I can say that I like all about this tool. It required a couple of time to add it on your PC, but all the programs are the same.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome item, both for big and small companies it can help you a lot do send instant messages to your colleagues. Easy to introduce on different operating systems and devices, instinctive and quick. It makes cooperation considerably more successful and fast.

Real time correspondence between the team without stopping the work process. They can put questions about our projects and tasks. Can be added on any PC or telephone - so any guy who is far from their work area can use HipChat for work purposes.

HipChat review by Nikola G.
Nikola G.

"Fácil de usar"

What do you like best?

Usaba HipChat sobretodo para mensajes privados y para el chat, en el trabajo y desde casa. Me gusta mucho el diseño y la personalización que ofrece. Es un software muy útil y me he sentido muy segura con él y su privacidad. De vez en cuando he usado la función de video chat y me ha parecido buena.

Puedes buscar en tus chats alguna conversación en concreto (que es de gran ayuda) y enviar emojis que siempre está bien tenerlos para conversaciones menos profesionales.

What do you dislike?

No encontré nada que me llamase la atención negativamente.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es muy buena herramienta de comunicación y llega a ser muy práctica.

La comunicación es fácil, se agradece entre los compañeros de trabajo tanto dentro como fuera del horario laboral. Nos mantenía conectados y se agradece la privacidad.

HipChat review by User

"Hipchat is like facebook chat and allows you to communicate with other people on your team."

What do you like best?

The best things are simplicity and the ability to make rooms with multiple people.

I never miss a message because it is synced with my Gmail and notifies me when I am tagged.

Furthermore, google hangouts can be garbage sometimes, and hipchat's video calls are actually clear and reliable.

What do you dislike?

It is maybe too simple. There could be more advanced abilities to track more important points and have people comment on them. Because it is very linear, and you can't easily go back to check out od convos or pin things, we find that if we are busy talking, that we lose stuff time to time.

For this reason, it can be a little problematic when we want to communicate urgent or important ideas or issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend the ability to tag or pin conversations or messages.

As of now, you see something and it's gone. it would be great to tag it so that I could go back and find it in a memory or even just have a better ability to search for it.

We are solving the inability to talk in person. We are a remote company so we use hepcat to speak with each other and get conversations started.

One of ur rooms is called the water cooler so it also helps build relationships and small talk that is good for a company and it's employees

HipChat review by Joe T.
Joe T.

"HipChat is the glue that keeps my organization together"

What do you like best?

Hip Chat is more than just instant messaging. It's idea sharing, and corroboration on steroids. As an engineer I appreciate that I'm able to send code snips which are copy and paste-able. I also appreciate that I'm able to send photos and files to my teammates by simply dragging and dropping them into the chat window.

What do you dislike?

If I had to complain about any one aspect of HipChat it is that I don't feel that the history of chats is long enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can get everyone in your organization to use HipChat then it's instant messaging communications could conceivably replace email as your companies primary internal communication platform.

We needed a platform for company wide communication and one which had an IDE which would allow us to be notified when one of our software services went down or to give us status updates when our clients moved through our product life cycle. HipChat's ability to make specialized rooms for a particular subset of our engineering team has been a great advantage in keeping our communications organized and instantaneous.

HipChat review by Renata R.
Renata R.

"Simple, easy to use and really good looking: Hipchat is a great messaging tool"

What do you like best?

First of all, Hipchat's layout and design is outstanding. I really enjoy it's simpleness and clarity because it makes it easier to navigate through different chat rooms and private chats. Furthermore, Hipchat's pricing system is absolutely fair and honest in my opinion, it is really worth it.

What do you dislike?

I dislike Hipchat's search bar, sometimes I can't find what I'm looking for using it. The mobile version of Hpchat could be better, it still feels a little bit clunky and slow. The last thing about Hipchat that I dislike is the fact that every now and then there is a update and this is sort of annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make good use of Hipchat's endless customizations to create a better work environment for you and your fellow team members.

This platfrom has assisted me in planning my events with clients and my employees. The ability to chat, send files and images created a more efficient work atmosphere for me.

HipChat review by Ricardo M.
Ricardo M.

"My Hipchat Experience"

What do you like best?

Using Hipchat has really made my life easier and simplified my work enviorment for many reasons. One of the things I like best about this software is that it has everything you need in one place, video sharing, file sharing, group chats, custom emojis and it is also integrated with other platforms. It really is a complete team collaboration software.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the online status feature because it sometimes does not work properly and can be unreliable. Also the video conference offered by Hipchat can get slow and laggy from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use hipchat with small to medium sized teams to explore it to its full potential. Large teams on hipchat can be diffuclt to manage and communicate.

Hipchat made my work environment much better because it facilitated the communication and collaboration between me and my employees. It's file sharing feature helped our team solve issues and create new projects more eficiently.

HipChat review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Hipchat is a great way to communicate internally"

What do you like best?

The amount of chat rooms you can set up and the privacy levels you can set. It is a great platform to use to quickly get key individuals all on the same page to set up sale promos, inventory management, special cases, etc.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were subcategories you can tag your room with - i.e. color coding/tags(i.e. #sales, #ecommerce, etc) to better organize and filter different chat rooms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and take full advantage of the quick chatrooms you can set up and delete at will. We set up chatrooms for all promos we run, special cases we have, and once it is resolved we can either keep them for history OR just delete them.

We are eliminating the need for long, hard to follow chain emails that need to have tons of people CCed on. Quick ideas going back and forth for problems that probably don't warrant an email. Saving time and fleshing out any miscommunication that can occur via email.

Learning about HipChat?

* We monitor all HipChat reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.