HipChat

Team chat that's actually built for business. Persistent, searchable, and loaded with goodies: video calling, screen sharing, and the security your IT team craves.

Work for HipChat?

Learning about HipChat?

HipChat Reviews

Showing 639 HipChat reviews
HipChat review by <span>Candace G.</span>
Candace G.

"HipChat"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use this program. It's great for connecting with everyone in the office and super easy to use. Making groups is easy and convenient.

What do you dislike?

I would love for the emoji system to be less basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is definitely a great way to communicate with and connect with your team. You can use it on your computer or in a mobile capacity on your phone or tablet. The video call feature is also very helpful, though not always the best quality. While it is very easy to use I would love to see more Google Hangout inspired user interfacing and ability to attach larger files easier. But for a way to connect and communicate it gets the job done and is definitely a great resource/tool.

Being able to connect with different groups of people or everyone in the office quickly without having to call or email. The instant nature of it is great. You can share files and links and it's really wonderful and convenient. And the fact that you can download the app and use it anywhere is essential for my work.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about HipChat
HipChat review by <span>Billy H.</span>
Billy H.

"Using Hipchat as IM with Developers"

What do you like best?

1. Hipchat is easy to use and can be used in the browsers that I use (Chrome, Firefox, IE)

2. Hipchat has a mobile app on the Apple App Store (I use an iOS device) and the UI is very friendly

3. I can create groups for a specific project or chat with individuals that's also on my company domain

4. History is automatically loaded when I go back to the room or people

5. Files and Links are stored on the side for each chat

What do you dislike?

1. Shortcuts are not customizable.

2. Status is Available, Away or DND

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricing: Hipchat is a pretty standard but powerful chat program in the Atlassian suite of programs. It does what most other chat/IM tools do (like Skype for Business) but without the phone/video conferencing and screen share.

General communication for project teams or 1:1 chat with other individuals within my organization

What Video Conferencing solution do you use?

HipChat review by <span>Ian C.</span>
Ian C.

"Hipchat is an excellent collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

The interface is very well-done and the integration with Confluence, JIRA, Bitbucket, and Redmine is very slick. We've used a number of chat-based collaboration tools including Openfire, Skype, and others. Hipchat is the best. The availability of Hipchat across platforms is very helpful and it's easy to transition between systems. I have both Windows and Mac desktops. and chat messages appear on both systems without any problems. The Mac client offer a very useful screen capture function, though Windows client does not. The no-cost edition of Hipchat has easily met our needs. The cloud-hosted edition of Hipchat offered us the benefits of very low implementation and maintenance resource requirements.

What do you dislike?

Not a dislike but would like SSO integration for cloud-based HipChat and also integration with other IM services. This would allow for much easier deployment across our organization. This limitation has meant we are only using it within our DevOps group. While its not problem in the context of how we use Hipchat, there is a limit on chat history retention.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider whether it meets your requirements. Cheap for small team but for mid-size might be costly.

Team communication using chat. quickly sharing screenshots, integration with notices from Confluence and JIRA. Hipchat rooms can be linked to specific JIRA projects and that has proven very helpful to our DevOps team.The alert provided by JIRA help us to react more quickly to critical tickets, in comparison to email notifications.

HipChat review by <span>Megan T.</span>
Megan T.

"HipChat - simple and sleek"

What do you like best?

I like the user interface - super clean and easy to use, only the most necessary functions are present so there's no clutter. The silly emojis allow me to add personality to otherwise "professional" correspondence. And it's easy to share files.

What do you dislike?

The notifications are inconsistent - sometimes I get them on my phone when I'm offline, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I receive an email that one of my rooms was updated, sometimes I don't. I also wish there was a free video conferencing ability. We were able to use it for a couple of weeks for some reason without paying, and then it was removed. It was a great integrated video / call feature; why make me go to a separate tool that will allow me to do it for free?

I work on a fairly remote team - 3 of us are onsite and 2 are off. HipChat allows us to break all our team projects into different rooms, as well as other topics of interest, and keep our team conversation regarding each project in its specific chat room. This makes it easy to get a quick update of where a project is without having to call or email a remote team member. Also it simply reduces email clutter for us, because we'd probably be sending quite a few without it. It's also more compliant for our organization than Slack is, which is why we use it.

HipChat review by <span>Elnaz S.</span>
Elnaz S.

"Great communication tools at a good price"

What do you like best?

I like the user interface. It is simple, clean and very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it does have bugs....where it randomly kicks you out of your account or cannot log back into one's account. But typically it works again after several attempts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product very easy to use. Very affordable and has some of the same features and benefits as some of the similar more expensive solutions out there. There are times where one might run into issues or when the app might require some improvements in terms of bug fixes, but they are generally good in addressing those and fixing those in a timely manner. Again, for what one would pay, this is a very good solution. I would also add that this is most likely tailored to smaller to mid-size organization. So if you work in a smaller team or smaller company, this tool would be ideal.

Communication with peers and with different departments at work.

HipChat review by <span>Junyang X.</span>
Junyang X.

"After cycling through 3-4 chat programs, finally settled on HipChat"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is a simple, easy to ease, peer-to-peer chat program. It does log all the activities, including chats, uploads, images, screenshots. It also allows you to create as many custom rooms for discussion or problem solving, for example, we generally setup a room for each JIRA being worked on so the right people always has access to the latest information. The activity log is crucial to be able to dig through chats and information sent a month or even several months back. Don't forget about the customized emojis (shared across entire company)

What do you dislike?

Default sends email notification to user, clogs up inbox. Also, the PC/mobile synchronization can be off sometimes. Would be nice to have more default themes to match backgrounds. Search function can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free, lightweight, less cumbersome and "HIP" than slack... the irony

Reduces bulk of 1-liner emails. Issues can be discussed and resolved more quickly rather than waiting for a response on email.

HipChat review by <span>Alicia G.</span>
Alicia G.

"Makes me feel like part of a team!"

What do you like best?

I like that I can see who's online, who's on their cell phone, be able to create conversations with groups and one-off individuals, send emojis and send attachments.

What do you dislike?

I like the concept of the video chat, but I feel it's not executed as well as some other video based softwares (such as Zoom). It's great for just video conferencing, but if you need to screen share, it can be a bit laggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a way to get your remote team connected, HipChat is a great software. It's great for quick meetings when you just need to connect face-to-face, but if you need to do more "robust" screen sharing, I would suggest jumping to another software for that level of detail.

We are a remotely based work force, so being able to connect with my team in real-time (instead of back and forth through email) is fantastic.

HipChat review by <span>Sujata G.</span>
Sujata G.

"HipChat - Simple tool, but great at its function."

What do you like best?

The best part about Hipchat is its simplistic GUI. You will find everything on one page. The page is very well divided into Rooms, people, chat content and Members involved.

It is very easy to find any room(group) or people by just scrolling up and down. Once you select any group, you will be able to see the members of it on left side. Even availability status is provided.

It also provide file sharing option and large amount of text which is not supported by many other chat apps.

Another best thing is it keeps history, so no hassle when finding some conversations. Search history tab is great help for that.

Its Web as well as Desktop app, both are awesome!

What do you dislike?

Hipchat is simple and just does everything what an Chat app is supposed to do.

According to me, I don't have any thing to dislike it, but yes more emoji's will definitely make chatting more fun at work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it and you will love the way it works. Simple and best. Best for team interaction and information sharing.

Conveying any message is very simple, just post in the group and its pops up so very less chances of any one missing it.

Every time we just can't go to other desk, so its very handy for small talks and file sharing.

Even at different location conveying messages has become easy. It also save lot of efforts during calls.

HipChat review by <span>Douglas B.</span>
Douglas B.

"Clean interface but sometimes too simple"

What do you like best?

It is definitely simple and the interface is also simple. I have my groups and the people to whom I have already talked in the left panel, easy to find them. The chat screen is also simple to understand and read.

What do you dislike?

For windows, the application does not works perfectly. In some way the borders are not respected by the main content, and the pointer of the mouse is not exactly pointing to the right place, I would say that it is not correctly calibrated, I am always trying to find the right place to click, what makes it weird. Though the interface is simple I fell that it could have more options like right-click in the name and some options, like sending a personal message or email, or maybe see the profile of that person.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use, go an try.

As a IT Audit team we give some support to other tech teams when them asked for our help, it makes the communication between teams quicker.

HipChat review by <span>Natarajan R.</span>
Natarajan R.

"Best Interconnecting tool"

What do you like best?

This tool helps us to connect with our colleagues and creating groups for resolving the complaints from the employees and sharing the pics and files can be done in simple way. The app in our smart phone makes us to reply instantly for the queries and doubts from the employees. Video calling facility help us with clear integration makes us happy and more effective with on sight workers.

What do you dislike?

Nothing could be dis-liked about this tool honestly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best tool to mingle with your co-workers, Try the best and will continue with the best.

Sharing knowledge to our co-workers and passing the updates from our organisation and can get some feedback's personally from our employees and group communications from different departments is very helpful. This helps us in giving quick resolution from all the globe.

HipChat review by <span>Andrew S.</span>
Andrew S.

"HipChat is Where it's at"

What do you like best?

I like that Hipchat provides an immediate avenue for inter- and intra-departmental communication. Much like Skype or Slack, it makes it remarkably easy to send a quick request to a colleague or simply blow off some steam when the pressure's on. Additionally, we've configured it with SurveyMonkey via Zapier, so we created a chat room that shows us real-time responses to customer satisfaction surveys.

What do you dislike?

The file-sharing component could use some work. It's not bad, but it'd be nice to get a live view of things like Excel files, InDesign files and the like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

From my personal experience, I recommend it, especially if you work in a marketing environment where details can change on the fly and you need to immediately communicate to your team or a certain colleague. Plus, it's fun. The Atlassian team created a great batch of animated emojis and even give you the capability to create your own.

Like I mentioned above, we've solved the problem of having to log into SurveyMonkey to view customer feedback since it's all right there in HipChat right now. I've also realized that sometimes it's easier to convey ideas and bounce them back and forth with colleagues via chat as opposed to right there in person. It's also great that HipChat keeps a running log of your conversations so you can go back and search for a particular piece of information if you've forgotten something or need to recover a certain file.

HipChat review by <span>Leith M.</span>
Leith M.

"Simple, no frills chat software."

What do you like best?

What I like best about HipChat is that it works. Other software applications I've used for work either don't provide a desktop app, or their desktop app is full of bugs and crashes constantly. HipChat is a seamless, simple chat software that allows you to communicate easily with coworkers in an unlimited variety of rooms or one-on-one. There are also some fun features like personalized nicknames and customizable emojis, but really the primary goal of this software is the chat feature. HipChat knows what it is, and it does it well.

What do you dislike?

HipChat got rid of the surprise Giphy feature, where you just type in a word and a random gif pops up. That was a really fun feature that our team loved to use to lighten the mood. I don't know why they got rid of it :(

Easy communication with people within the company on a secure software platform that is easy to implement and intuitive to use.

HipChat review by <span>Jesse S.</span>
Jesse S.

"Easy to Use and Gets the Job Done"

What do you like best?

Simplicity. It's a simple communications tool for my company that never crashes or has any issues. It does exactly what we need it to do - chat with the right person at the right time without problems.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a better list of emojis. Often I just want to use the iPhone emojis or Twitter emojis, but this list is completely different and most are quite odd. I'd also prefer simplicity in inserting GIFs, like the iPhone keyboard does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a no thrills simple chat feature for your company to use, HipChat is the way to go!

We're having instantaneous communication, whether one-to-one or in groups, and solving problems. For a business that excels in email, we still find tremendous value in quick instant messaging applications. On occasion, Google Hangouts has died, and we've used the HipChat video call to fulfill our tasks.

HipChat review by <span>Ana S.</span>
Ana S.

"Hipchat is the most fun and quick way to communicate in the office"

What do you like best?

What I like best about it is that it saves up time. I don't have to go around the office asking things to different people which makes you waste time that you actually need for something you're doing in that exact moment. (I do exercise, don't worry)

What do you dislike?

I don't like the fact that it doesn't have all the emojis. (I know this sounds childish, I'm sorry I'm a millennial with an office job for the first time in my life and I need to make it fun)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend to encourage have ALL employees to use it. This way for instance, if I'm used to using this method, I know everyone else does and I don't have to switch between email, call, hipchat.

Like I said, it's solving the amount of time you take between sending an email to a person and allowing that person to write back AND/OR walking up to that person's desk. I've realized it gives that touch of informality to a formal work space where people express themselves while still getting things done faster.

HipChat review by <span>Ryan R.</span>
Ryan R.

"Hipchat is good & reliable"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is very easy to use both online and desktop. It make it easy to share images & data and its friendly for people with all different kinds of tech background.

What do you dislike?

I dont love hipchat because of how difficult it is to get in touch with certain people on the team. Sometimes I try to speak to operations but cant without advising the whole entire company. I wish there was some sort of hashtag that I could do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You should totally use it it is amazing and I would highly recommend it definitely reach out to me with any questions thanks!

It looks easy and quick communication with my team and with the company and the CEO. Its also easy to chat with people in different time zones and

HipChat review by User

"Great Way to Communicate Among Offices"

What do you like best?

I love being able to talk in real-time with my coworkers. I don't have to worry about "did they see that email? When will they respond to that email?" Also, I like that I can use it on my phone but don't have to get notifications if I don't want to, and I can always log on to the online module at a meeting or tradeshow to quietly keep in touch with my staff.

What do you dislike?

When using rooms as opposed to individual chats, I don't get a flashing notification if someone has sent something.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think Atlassian is changing the product or discontinuing the product, but I could be wrong. I don't know if people can download what I have, just HipChat. But I really like how easy HipChat is to use. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a chat program like the old AIM or MSN Messenger.

Our office is located in two different office suites, so we can now chat quickly without getting up and interrupting them with patients, and we can ask questions to them quickly when patients are standing in front of us or on the phone asking. It also sets a good impression for our patients when we sound like we know what we're talking about.

HipChat review by <span>Rajmohan M.</span>
Rajmohan M.

"HipChat - Best communication tool with colleagues"

What do you like best?

This tool helps us to collaborate with our co-workers. It is very easy to use in our smartphones with great interface. The chats by creating groups and multiple chatting, Sharing the screenshots and notifications options helps us to give quick resolution.

What do you dislike?

It takes time to load in mobile and app crashing issue let's it down at new updates and it is good only after some bug fixes..

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is very easy to communicate with your colleagues. Try it once and experience the best way of communication.

No need to run and elaborate the complaints to tech teams. It can be done from the place at your fingertips. Sharing reports to the concern teams in HipChat reduces human efforts and saves time.

HipChat review by <span>Dustin H.</span>
Dustin H.

"Easy to Use, Simple Interface"

What do you like best?

HipChat has a simple to use interface that seems to always work (it's never crashed), the desktop app is also complemented by a solid mobile app with the same strengths. It's easy to setup and jump in and out of team-specific rooms. I also like how you can ping/call out specific users within a chatroom.

What do you dislike?

The app doesn't feel as streamlined or polished as something like Skype. It would be nice if HipChat enabled users to changed themes within the interface to make it personalized and more fun.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free version and see if it meets your needs and if it will fit within your company's workflow.

We use HipChat to communicate 1:1 and across multiple teams within our company. HipChat serves as our company-wide instant communication platform.

HipChat review by <span>Guzyal G.</span>
Guzyal G.

"HipChat - tool for effective communication"

What do you like best?

It's a very quick, intuitive tool for instant communication between individuals and within a group. I work in a company of about 200 people and HipChat makes it extremely easy to shoot a quick message to anyone instantly.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. It did require a few mins to install on a computer- but that's how all programs are.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product, both for bigger organisations and for smaller startups with just a few people. Very easy to install on various platforms, intuitive and fast. It is possible to create different groups for different teams - makes collaboration even more effective and quick.

Quick and instant communication between the employees without interrupting workflow. Can be installed on any computer, laptop of phone - so anyone who is away from their desk or works from home can still use HipChat for work purposes.

HipChat review by <span>teresa p.</span>
teresa p.

"collaboration between my office colleagues"

What do you like best?

is an excellent tool with a very easy management you can create different rooms, each to communicate something different if you give it, you can also make file transfers with the people who are at that moment, besides being able to send emails, besides all these potentials options that the application has allows you to make video conferences with great quality.

What do you dislike?

There are really very few things, the ones that I dislike, among them is that sometimes notifications do not reach me, maybe because of the volume of rooms where I am, sometimes there is an error when I try to start a session but after several attempts wonderfully

Recommendations to others considering the product

excellent product very easy and costs much less than its competitors and is at the height of applications of its kind.

within the company we communicate, for the different projects where we apply, whether from databases, software engineering, etc., we use different rooms for each specialty.

HipChat review by <span>Jasmine Y.</span>
Jasmine Y.

"Great collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and has a lot of flexibility for customization.

It's great for group chat as well as individual chats.

The search chat history functionality is very nice to have.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes using hipchat on the computer and on mobile device at the same time causes issues with messages displaying on mobile but not displaying on computer.

There's a lag for one of the devices to catch up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Establish clear and solid administration policies for how your company wants to use HipChat. It's a powerful tool and works great when administered correctly.

We also use Cisco Jabber at work but the chat room functionality in Jabber is not as effective. We needed an easy way for multiple people to communicate in real time.

We also use bots to alert certain chat rooms when there are errors or issues with a system.

HipChat review by <span>Annie P.</span>
Annie P.

"Hipchat"

What do you like best?

There are never any cliches or times when it runs slow, I am always immediately able to contact the person that I want to. I also love that the conversations stays forever so that I am able to go back and refer something in a previous conversation.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the audio on the video chat is a little difficult to get set up, but that could also just be a personal computer error.

I am able to contact people in my office immediately that are on the opposite end from me to be able to more efficiently solve problems that include other departments help. Along with that I am easily able to create groups with multiple people that help solve group projects.

HipChat review by <span>Dave T.</span>
Dave T.

"HipChat works well for weaning your company off internal email"

What do you like best?

There's plenty to like: you can give as much or as little control to users as you like (to create rooms, add custom icons, etc); easy to administrer; integrates into Jira so we can notify a room on a new issue; good clients for Web, Windows, Mac, and even Linux.

What do you dislike?

Atlassian has been slow to add new features (such as threading or adding emoji to respond to someone else's message); occasionally I get asked why we don't use Slack

Recommendations to others considering the product

HipChat has just introduced a "next-gen" product they will be migrating all HipChat users to, called Stride. So if you setup HipChat today, you should be able to migrate to Stride easily down the road.

Internal email has essentially been eliminated. Remote staff are more involved and in the loop.

HipChat review by Administrator

"Great Program and getting better!"

What do you like best?

I have been using hip chat for almost 10 years now, I like that it is easy to use and deploy. Also the various ways to access it. You can be on computer or portable device, and you wont miss anything.

What do you dislike?

The app does not work well with Apple devices. Not matter what I did I could not get notifications. I tried different way of changing the settings, but it seem the app had to be on at all times for it to work. That was a battery hog.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has worked well for me, in multiple implementations, from Pharmaceutical Manufacturing to a Non-Profit.

At the Pharmaceutical company it was part of our incident management center. Simple and quick to use during emergency management.

Quick Chat solution. Need to get a hold of someone do it quick on hip chat. Also for a War Room, for FDA visits. Such a great way of communicating quickly and effectively.

HipChat review by <span>Jaime B.</span>
Jaime B.

"No-frills, but useful"

What do you like best?

The best part of hipchat are the "rooms", it's nice to be able to jump into conversations with colleagues without the dreaded email chains. It's also quite useful for seeing who is online, or available at a certain time.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an ability to delete or edit chats. It is occasionally unreliable and has to be opened via a web browser. The initial settings have on-screen pop-ups and sound notifications, which is potentially problematic if you are sharing your screen with a client. I have changed all of my settings to avoid these scenarios.

Cross-team communication is definitely aided by HipChat. It makes communicating quicker and more casual. It's really nice when you need to follow up with a colleague about something that you've previously emailed about, or to take conversations about clients "off-line"

HipChat review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Great for web-based chat, not much else"

What do you like best?

HipChat integrates so cleanly with the rest of the Atlassian suite and is fairly straightforward to setup and configure with Active Directory. The web-based administration is pretty good and the web-based chat client is fine for most use cases. I really like the simplicity of the Android mobile application and it's fairly easy to mute all alerts/notifications so you are constantly not getting pinged.

What do you dislike?

The desktop fat client is one of the worst performing applications I still am forced to use on a regular basis. The application is constantly lagging, crashing, and useless for almost all daily effort. The integration to various 3rd party or non-Atlassian plugins are lacking in functionality and it is much more difficult to integrate to things like Jenkins than other popular chat applications. The 1 to 1 and group video chats are pretty much unusable. The performance of the video makes it worse than almost every other video tool out there.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless there is a valid business case or licensing reason to not use Slack, use Slack. HipChat is probably the next best shared/team/persistent chat solution to Slack, with all others coming in far behind.

Cross collaborative agile projects and teams who already use Atlassian tools will find benefit with being able to work together with tight integration in the Atlassian ecosystem. Ops teams tracking for production support issues and for cross timezone work is pretty helpful.

HipChat review by <span>Carlos G.</span>
Carlos G.

"Hipchat is a great tool for communication and collaboration"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is very easy to use and integrates well with other Atlassian tools such as JIRA. You can create Hipchat rooms to organize your conversations and invite the people that you need. You have the option to start a Hipchat room from a JIRA ticket as well which is very convenient to discuss issues. The search capability works very well. The quality of video and audio (for video conferencing) is great.

What do you dislike?

If you have many rooms, sometimes it can be hard to keep track of all of them. Some messages may be missed. It can be distracting if people abuse the use of Hipchat.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check with your teams if they think Hipchat helps them with the communication flow. I've heard from some people that it can be distracting, so make sure that this is not the case and that it's use to make teams more efficient. Also, check out the integration with Jira, it's very good.

Communication can be challenging, especially if they are distributed. Hipchat helps keep people in the loop. Since our teams are using other Atlassian tools, Hipchat is a good fit for us since we're using other Atlassian tools and the integration among them works well.

HipChat review by User

"Acceptable chat client, would prefer better integration"

What do you like best?

File sharing and link sharing functions are nice. Sending message to your email when not logged in is also helpful. The most used function at the company I work for is the chat rooms for each department.

What do you dislike?

I vastly prefer Google Hangouts for a couple reasons and they both have to do with integration. 1. Seamless integration into the GSuite email system. I hate bouncing back and forth between Gmail and HipChat. 2. The file sharing doesn't compare to the Google capabilities. It's a perfectly fine chat client, but I feel that if you're a GSuite user it's kind of superfluous.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're already in GSuite, don't bother. If you're not, however, this can be an extremely useful communication tool for your company.

Before the company I work for made the jump to GSuite, HipChat was a valuable tool for communicating quickly. The group chat function is especially helpful for coordinating daily tasks between departments.

HipChat review by <span>Vernon F.</span>
Vernon F.

"Bare bones and basic "

What do you like best?

As a cross platform team chat client, it’s easy to get started with HipChat very very quickly. A great way to share photos of work with the team, or yourself.

What do you dislike?

Default set of emoji are pretty ugly and too easily triggered in the natural course of typing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Atlassian Stride May be worth evaluating first. I’m not sure whether HipChat will continue to be supported. That being said, we haven’t needed support.

It allows our team to communicate regardless of who’s in the office or working from home today. It’s chat, so unlike email, no need to delete or organise messages.

HipChat review by User in Higher Education

"A very clean and efficient way to communicate with co-workers"

What do you like best?

I like that we can create many different rooms to split people up based on the groups they are working with. I also like the clear timestamp so you know what is new and what is old. I like how it shows a person's name, but you actually use their username in order to differentiate between people, especially those with similar or same names.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing glaring that I would say I dislike. I would note that I only use this during and for work, and I never use it for personal use. Though it doesn't seem like it is solely focused for those in a workplace setting, it doesn't provide enough convenience to use it instead of iMessaging or even something like Facebook Messanger.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set up "Rooms" based on your needs, and use short names to easily tell the difference between them. Also, keep your tabs in the left column opened up for you to easily access previous conversations you've had. I've found no need to delete or remove chat from that sidebar, as it's more than likely I will want to contact that room or person again at some point.

Faster and more efficient communication! Prior, we would rely on email, which some people don't check all the time, or have trouble tracking the thread. With HipChat, we have a thread that replicates a much more casual style than traditional email format.

HipChat review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Fun Inter company-Communication Tool "

What do you like best?

This app is easy to use and understand. I like the availability feature - you can mark yourself as "available," "away," or "do not disturb." There are a lot of fun features to use while in the app like using emoticons. There is a great feature you can use to select which people you want to be in a chat room or you can just chat one-on-one. It is easy to copy and paste links and share content with your coworkers. It is nice to use this for an easy answer when on the phone or don't want to fill up your email inbox with something quick. My team likes to use it for asking questions to the group or getting advice. It's nice that we can help each other through such an easy method.

What do you dislike?

I wish they had a GIF bar or memes in addition to the emoticons. Sometimes it lags when there are internet issues. It can be distracting at work sometimes. As with any communication method, things can get lost in translation when not meeting person to person. Its use is not required in our company so that means that not all departments or people are using it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At least consider it!

Easier than email to quickly chat with Co-workers. See when coworkers are online, trade files or screenshots and easily solve issues while over the phone. It is a very quick way to get a hold of co-workers.

HipChat review by <span>Brittany G.</span>
Brittany G.

"A Simple Office Communication Tool"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is easy to learn (especially with prior knowledge of Google Hangouts or Skype) and allows coworkers to effectively communicate with each other across offices.

What do you dislike?

Getting added to the appropriate rooms was a bit of a pain (figuring out who had permission to add me) and sometimes the system randomly logs me out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a pretty easy transition from most other office communication tools, just be sure to take advantage of the rooms feature which is pretty unique!

Inter-office communication. Our company doesn't have a ton of face to face meetings so being able to ask quick questions and share proofs for critique is very important. Hipchat has been a great solution for this.

HipChat review by <span>Ashton N.</span>
Ashton N.

"Easy to use, handy, and fun"

What do you like best?

I like how it allows you to create your own emojis to use within your work place. This allows for a little bit of fun between coworkers. They allow gifs to be used as well which can lend to a more light hearted atmosphere at work. I like the notifications you can turn on and off with this program. I like the ease of opening once you've installed the application on your computer. Overall it's easy to use and pretty straight forward.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there always seemed to be an update. It stalled getting started with work in the morning.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool to keep departments organized and in instant communication with each other. It's faster than email and gets questions answered and tasks delegated faster when everyone is involved.

This system helped keep all of our department together at our fingertips. It allowed one agent to post a question for all the see and then the supervisors would respond to it and then anyone else who may run across this message can review the answer at a later time by scrolling back up to it from the earlier conversation.

HipChat review by <span>Eduardo M.</span>
Eduardo M.

"HipChat: the smart communication platform"

What do you like best?

The variety of unique features that HipChat offers create a work-friendly experience that makes a big difference when communicating with other co-workers. HipChat enables the user to easily screen share with other team members, a feature that is essential for any business or organization team. Also, the straightforward drag and drop file sharing feauture simplifies the whole experience.

What do you dislike?

One of the few things I disliked about HipChat is the frequent connection issues and bugs that can hinder the comunication of the team. Also, sometimes the notifications and even some messages will take a while to be sent and recieved due to slow servers. This can cause HipChat to be a little inconsistent from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend using HipChat to develop team projects and colaborations. The groups feature offered by hipchat is useful to seperate the different topics and conversations.

I am working on colthing design and manufacturing. HipChat make it easier to comunicate and share files with my fellow team members.

HipChat review by <span>Delia P.</span>
Delia P.

"HipChat is the best for me."

What do you like best?

It is a fast and simple tool to do chat with my colleagues I work in an organization of around 500 individuals and HipChat makes it simple to send a message to anybody quickly.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, I can say that I like all about this tool. It required a couple of time to add it on your PC, but all the programs are the same.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Awesome item, both for big and small companies it can help you a lot do send instant messages to your colleagues. Easy to introduce on different operating systems and devices, instinctive and quick. It makes cooperation considerably more successful and fast.

Real time correspondence between the team without stopping the work process. They can put questions about our projects and tasks. Can be added on any PC or telephone - so any guy who is far from their work area can use HipChat for work purposes.

HipChat review by User

"Hipchat is like facebook chat and allows you to communicate with other people on your team."

What do you like best?

The best things are simplicity and the ability to make rooms with multiple people.

I never miss a message because it is synced with my Gmail and notifies me when I am tagged.

Furthermore, google hangouts can be garbage sometimes, and hipchat's video calls are actually clear and reliable.

What do you dislike?

It is maybe too simple. There could be more advanced abilities to track more important points and have people comment on them. Because it is very linear, and you can't easily go back to check out od convos or pin things, we find that if we are busy talking, that we lose stuff time to time.

For this reason, it can be a little problematic when we want to communicate urgent or important ideas or issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend the ability to tag or pin conversations or messages.

As of now, you see something and it's gone. it would be great to tag it so that I could go back and find it in a memory or even just have a better ability to search for it.

We are solving the inability to talk in person. We are a remote company so we use hepcat to speak with each other and get conversations started.

One of ur rooms is called the water cooler so it also helps build relationships and small talk that is good for a company and it's employees

HipChat review by <span>Joe T.</span>
Joe T.

"HipChat is the glue that keeps my organization together"

What do you like best?

Hip Chat is more than just instant messaging. It's idea sharing, and corroboration on steroids. As an engineer I appreciate that I'm able to send code snips which are copy and paste-able. I also appreciate that I'm able to send photos and files to my teammates by simply dragging and dropping them into the chat window.

What do you dislike?

If I had to complain about any one aspect of HipChat it is that I don't feel that the history of chats is long enough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you can get everyone in your organization to use HipChat then it's instant messaging communications could conceivably replace email as your companies primary internal communication platform.

We needed a platform for company wide communication and one which had an IDE which would allow us to be notified when one of our software services went down or to give us status updates when our clients moved through our product life cycle. HipChat's ability to make specialized rooms for a particular subset of our engineering team has been a great advantage in keeping our communications organized and instantaneous.

HipChat review by <span>Renata R.</span>
Renata R.

"Simple, easy to use and really good looking: Hipchat is a great messaging tool"

What do you like best?

First of all, Hipchat's layout and design is outstanding. I really enjoy it's simpleness and clarity because it makes it easier to navigate through different chat rooms and private chats. Furthermore, Hipchat's pricing system is absolutely fair and honest in my opinion, it is really worth it.

What do you dislike?

I dislike Hipchat's search bar, sometimes I can't find what I'm looking for using it. The mobile version of Hpchat could be better, it still feels a little bit clunky and slow. The last thing about Hipchat that I dislike is the fact that every now and then there is a update and this is sort of annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make good use of Hipchat's endless customizations to create a better work environment for you and your fellow team members.

This platfrom has assisted me in planning my events with clients and my employees. The ability to chat, send files and images created a more efficient work atmosphere for me.

HipChat review by <span>Ricardo M.</span>
Ricardo M.

"My Hipchat Experience"

What do you like best?

Using Hipchat has really made my life easier and simplified my work enviorment for many reasons. One of the things I like best about this software is that it has everything you need in one place, video sharing, file sharing, group chats, custom emojis and it is also integrated with other platforms. It really is a complete team collaboration software.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the online status feature because it sometimes does not work properly and can be unreliable. Also the video conference offered by Hipchat can get slow and laggy from time to time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use hipchat with small to medium sized teams to explore it to its full potential. Large teams on hipchat can be diffuclt to manage and communicate.

Hipchat made my work environment much better because it facilitated the communication and collaboration between me and my employees. It's file sharing feature helped our team solve issues and create new projects more eficiently.

HipChat review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Hipchat is a great way to communicate internally"

What do you like best?

The amount of chat rooms you can set up and the privacy levels you can set. It is a great platform to use to quickly get key individuals all on the same page to set up sale promos, inventory management, special cases, etc.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were subcategories you can tag your room with - i.e. color coding/tags(i.e. #sales, #ecommerce, etc) to better organize and filter different chat rooms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and take full advantage of the quick chatrooms you can set up and delete at will. We set up chatrooms for all promos we run, special cases we have, and once it is resolved we can either keep them for history OR just delete them.

We are eliminating the need for long, hard to follow chain emails that need to have tons of people CCed on. Quick ideas going back and forth for problems that probably don't warrant an email. Saving time and fleshing out any miscommunication that can occur via email.

HipChat review by <span>Matthew H.</span>
Matthew H.

"HipChat is the only chat you need (If you use Atlassian Products)"

What do you like best?

Hipchat works similar to other chat platforms, it allows for private and public groups, and one-on-one conversations. There are also advanced history and video features in the paid version. The real selling point of HipChat for our organization is the integration with JIRA. It is a huge time saver to have these two systems speaking to each other. Being able to reference a task by number in HipChat to have it then automatically generate a link and short description has helped increase our speed and accuracy in resolving issues.

What do you dislike?

There is little to dislike, though they do have the occasional down time (sometimes planned, sometimes not). I've seen this occur in the middle of the work day and cause a bit of havoc. There tend to be ways around this though. For instance, there is an app for HipChat, but you can also log in through a browser. If one is not working, the other usually is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try using the free version and see if it meets your needs. It is a big commitment, but moving toward JIRA/Confluence/HipChat was a great step forward for us.

As I mentioned before, the #1 Benefit of HipChat is the integration with JIRA. That said, we rely heavily on Atlassian's tools (JIRA, HipChat, Confluence). It's great to have one cohesive, collaborative environment. HipChat is the glue that helps stick Confluence to JIRA. It has helped immensely in dealing with Offsite developers and even clients.

HipChat review by <span>Jim C.</span>
Jim C.

"Great Collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

simple interface makes it easy to connect with my colleagues. I can have a one on one conversation or hop into a room and easily invite people to join me. The open api allows us to customize the hipchat experience by building chat bots or integrating other products. For example, we've connected github to a few rooms so that when Pull Requests are created, they display in a room.

What do you dislike?

Early on, hipchat had stability issues. There were many days where it was either down or running very slowly. While issues still arise from time to time, its been far more reliable of late.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would compare it with Slack, as Slack is the big player in this space. I haven't done a feature level comparison, but it would be a prudent thing for a new buyer to do.

Team communication and collaboration.

HipChat review by <span>James S.</span>
James S.

"A live chat software which made our Customer engagement so easy"

What do you like best?

HipChat has increased our Customer engagement significantly . An intuitive tool for instant communication between individuals and within a group. I also love that the conversations stays forever so that I am able to go back and refer something in a previous conversation.

What do you dislike?

So many experience with HipChat. I wish there was an ability to delete or edit chats. Getting added to the appropriate rooms was a bit of a pain and sometimes the system randomly logs me out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have shifted ourself from HipChat to Zoho SalesIq , for better integration features. Try it out and take full advantage of the quick chat rooms you can set up and delete at will.

HipChatś ability to chat, send files and images created a more efficient work atmosphere for me. It's file sharing feature helped our team solve issues and create new projects more eficiently.

HipChat review by User in E-Learning
User in E-Learning

"Great Communication Tool for Teams Using Jira"

What do you like best?

Jira integration is my favorite feature of Hipchat. Being able to see sprint activity in a team room is so useful to me.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the apps/plugins available for Hipchat. We use Sassy and Giphy on my team, along with more...practical plugins, such as Jira and Zoom.

What do you dislike?

The contacts list takes some getting used to, if you've been using other chat apps. I'd like to be able to instantly search my contacts and rooms (it's hidden under a click in the current version).

Recommendations to others considering the product

While maybe not as whimsical as similar chat apps, HipChat is useful right out of the box, and can be customized to fit specialized needs. If your team uses other Atlassian products, HipChat is a no-brainer as your default chat application due to the ease of integration with other parts of the Atlassian suite. With the soon-to-land upgrade to Stride, I can only imagine more improvement in its future.

My team is able to communicate with one another via desktop and mobile. We can share files, notify each other of changes, and customize sub groups.

HipChat review by User in Events Services
User in Events Services

"Fun Communication Tool"

What do you like best?

I use hipchat every day to communicate with my department, as well as other teams I work with directly. I like that you can set up different rooms. I have several rooms for different projects and different teams, so I can hop in one and know what we are talking about.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an easier way to do a small group. Rather than creating another room - which everyone can see from the listing, be able to send a message to a couple people. Similar to a group text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool if you have a lot of different teams that you work with.

Communication for our dept was an issue, as most of us were located in Chicago and one individual was in New York. When we started using HipChat, it helped us communicate better. Updates were given from both sides so we knew what was going on at each office.

HipChat review by User in Computer Software

"Great Communication Tool "

What do you like best?

Half of our company is remote and I love that we can keep up to date and communicate with them via Hip Chat. We have some rooms setup by departments so department issues can be private but also have a main room where the whole company can be involved and respond.

What do you dislike?

The emojis. I wish it would have more options like Skype does or even mobile phones. Their emojies are sort of corny and old. Maybe even offer meme look up or gifs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend it especially if you have remote employees. It is a quicker response than email and you wont be left wondering if they are available or not because it will indicate if they are available, away or on DND(Do Not Disturb).

Communicating with our remote employees is the biggest problem we had until now. We used to have to wait for them to email back and forth etc. Now we know if they are away or available and can expect an answer quickly.

HipChat review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"HipChat — Efficient team chatting for fearless PR pros"

What do you like best?

The best part of HipChat is quite simply that it does what it's expected to do, with very little frustration. HipChat may not offer the same amount of snazzy features of other team chat platforms, but it's a very reliable way of communicating with other team members and work groups.

What do you dislike?

HipChat is not always intuitive — sending images/.gifs, etc. can sometimes be a pain. If you plan on using the mobile app, note that the notifications do not always work, which can cause you to miss important messages from time to time. (I've found that sticking to using the desktop version of HipChat works best.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely do your research, but it is worth trying out HipChat either way — I don't think that you will be disappointed.

We use HipChat to easily communicate with other team members and to solve the problem of overly long and involved email chains. The biggest benefits that we have realized using the platform is saving time for our internal team communications.

HipChat review by <span>Eric D.</span>
Eric D.

"HipChat is the chat for emoji lovers :D"

What do you like best?

This is the only messenger that allows users to create custom emojis! Also, integration with Jira is helpful when juggling multiple projects. Rooms can have a custom icon, name, and tagline. Web links auto generate a thumbnail view. Attached images are opened in-app via a preview that allows the user to zoom in / out, or even play as a slideshow.

What do you dislike?

Finding people and rooms are under a "New Chat" button which makes no sense. Wish emoticons were larger. Would like the ability to quickly start a convo with 3+ users without having to create a room. The mobile app needs improvement, convos take a long time to update. Wish there was a way to sort people alphabetically on the sidebar. The dark theme needs some TLC as well. Scrollbars remain light themed creating a weird unpolished contrast. Should have the ability to remove default emoticons. Would be nice to have the ability to give users aliases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A must have if use Jira. My company set up a general work chat for employees to post news, funny memes, interesting finds, etc and has helped coworkers bond on another level.

This is my primary work messenger, was chosen primarily because of Jira integration. @all, @name, and @here functions are great for targeting users and well as the ability to setup public and private rooms.

HipChat review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Hipchat is great!"

What do you like best?

I like the easy to use app and desktop client. I like the ability to customize notifications to match your preferences, and forward missed chats to email. I like the ability to easily send attachments in chats, this is massive. I also like the custom rooms, private room option, and alerts that you can trigger by @mentioning someone.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more emojis to use and easy to access custom emojis. I wish the client was more updated looking, it looks old school to m (maybe the ability to customize the theme and fonts would help).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Haven't found anything better except I do like Slack.

Minimization of emails sent thanks to hipchat rooms and easy file sharing. I also use it to do video calls when Google Hangouts fails (which is a LOT). The video option is really underused at my company since we also have WebEx.

HipChat review by <span>Vignesh B.</span>
Vignesh B.

"One of the Best tool for enterprise team communication"

What do you like best?

Easier to create or join to any existing chat room, Single sign-on capabilities to sign-in without any hassles, easy to integrate with development tools to post the notifications

What do you dislike?

It needs to sort people list based on the recent communication or notification shared with you but currently it is not sorting, so it leads to hard time to filter who pinged you recently like google hangouts

Recommendations to others considering the product

Flexible to integrate with external systems, So it will auto post the notifications once the job is completed, easy to manage the rooms and team members, and works with all the atlassian products, So helpful in case if you JIRA once we typed the issue id. it will direct us the ticket details.

It helps me to connect with different groups of operations in the organization, instead of raising the ticket or bugging someone to resolve the issue it helps to search the group based on the key terms and reach them easily. And another feature i love it most is, easy to share the files and it will also help me to get the files shared with the contact earlier from the history.

HipChat review by <span>Marilyn M.</span>
Marilyn M.

"Great Tool for Streamlined Communication & Collaboration"

What do you like best?

I love that HipChat makes it easy for me to stay connected with my team whether I'm down the hall or across the country.

I am constantly on HipChat, it's the first program I pull up in the morning alongside my email - to check in with my boss, my team, discuss marketing projects and progress on the fly, share documents, images, decks, etc. then I can drop in on different department or group rooms to get the latest in their conversation. And HipChat really makes it a conversation. Although our company has people in different places, we're constantly connected thanks to HipChat.

Great software, there's tons of integrations (honestly, I haven't explored them too in depth by I know many people use them).

What do you dislike?

This may be a function of the version we have, so I would ask to be sure it's not just a general product limitation, but it does not store your whole history - there's a cut off. There are times when I know I shared a presentation deck with a colleague, but when I go to the conversation it was shared in to retrieve it, it says "History no longer available." And its a fairly short period of time. Very frustrating.

At one point, I downloaded a software update that caused the desktop version of the app to stop working, which is fine, I just use the browser based one now - I tried the first couple of things that their support team suggested but when they didn't work I kinda gave up and found the browser was easier than troubleshooting

I am based in New York, while my group and most of the company are in Atlanta, but no matter where I am, HipChat makes it seamless and easy to stay connected with individuals, groups, departments, even the entire company. As everyone knows, email is not the place for quick conversations these days, and while other chat programs I've used have basic functionality, HipChat provides a broader feature set that helps us work more dynamically and in real time.

In addition to it being super functional for work, there are many nice-to-haves that make HipChat unique - from the GIFS to the DIY emojis you can create and make shortcuts too - HipChat makes it easy and fun to communicate.

HipChat review by <span>Jessica L.</span>
Jessica L.

"HipChat is great if you have a small team "

What do you like best?

HipChat allows me to connect with team members quickly and effortlessly. It simply gets the job done. We can integrate HipChat with our Twitter account so that team members get visibility into what is posted on Twitter.

What do you dislike?

There is no way to chat with more than one person at a time, unless you create a room. Bots are limited. The UI is very outdated.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a small team, HipChat is great to use. However, if you have a larger team, you may want to consider alternatives. HipChat can make it difficult to have conversations with multiple people at once. Also, if you'd like to integrate a lot of bots, then this may not be for you.

It lets us connect with co-workers quickly and remotely.

HipChat review by <span>Anish B.</span>
Anish B.

"HipChat Review"

What do you like best?

It aims to be an all in one. It handles chat, video, and voice. It has a variety of integrations allowing you to have other services tied to it such as a Heroku bot or Github. It's organization of groups is also nice. You don't have to be a part of everything and can be notified when necessary.

What do you dislike?

The mobile app is not as strong as it should be. There are also many key missing features such as reminders, smart actions, and custom emojis. The notification system could be smarter. Also, there need to be tighter integrations with commonly used services like Spotify and YouTube. When comparing HipChat and Slack, it becomes apparent the development cycle on HipChat is just not as fast and the feature disparity is compounding. For example, color coded messages could be helpful when skimming through a group.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it is important to consider company size and goals when picking a communication tool. There is a lot of competition out there, but HipChat does well with larger companies. However, there are features it lacks so explore what you need and then decide.

We were using HipChat for company communication and notifications. When traveling, HipChat's video conferencing to get everyone together. We also use Github (code repository) extensively so having that integration with HipChat made it easy to see all the changes that were being made and when code deployments were occurring. HipChat just made it much easier for us to operate smoothly. From connectivity to uptime, it was reliable and a solid product.

HipChat review by <span>Jhonatan A.</span>
Jhonatan A.

"Great chat platform for teams"

What do you like best?

We have a team that is all over the US, with Hipchat we all communicate seamlessly and the custom emojis are a total blast to use. The Karma addon makes disagreements or agreements much easier to resolve. Overall it is a great chat platform.

What do you dislike?

There is no video chat support and the hangouts implementation is not very good. Also some of the addons are hard to use specially some of the bots. If you need it for team chat and nothing else, then this is good enough.

Communication to multiple team members in a single chat room that is always available.

HipChat review by <span>La Kesha W.</span>
La Kesha W.

"HipChat Review"

What do you like best?

What I like best about using hipchat is the ability to have multiple chats going on at once, chat groups, and the fact that I can collaborate with many different people. I enjoy working with my team on many projects and getting multiple peoples opinions.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is not being able to have a small chat box type of pop up. The chat box is rather large and it takes up a lot of my computer screen I would love to be able to just remove one conversation and have it be in a small box rather than all chats being in one large pop up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend that others try hipchat and see if it works with all of the business needs.

The biggest business problem that I am trying to solve is how to increase the revenue with in the company and help our customers get the most out of the software.

HipChat review by <span>Gor V.</span>
Gor V.

"Good collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

One of the worlds best tool for collaboration within a team that work with people around the world. If your company has freelancers and you want them to be involved in the process then this is the tool you are looking for. HipChat helps teams to be synced. You can create rooms for every department and even have some for global/general discussions. What makes HipChat better is the integrations. We were able to customize it and get more productive. Our developers can commit and push updated from just chat rooms by writing comments with commands. You can get notifications from 3th party apps into your rooms.

What do you dislike?

Getting too frequent updates and sometimes they are being buggy. Sometimes after logging in I don't see the rooms that I joined previously. This is annoying, as I have 4-5 teams, and again manually i'm searching for these rooms to join.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think every company need to understand and pursue its needs. I would suggest to check out HipChat as well. There are competitors, but for me this is the more professional tool and more customizable than the others.

. Integrations, having unified place and for collaboration and for notification. Including

. One by one chats, plus one by one video calls. The quality of the video is very good.

. Video talks

. Rooms for every departments within company and ability to invite users.

. Task control and more efficient development process.

HipChat review by <span>Charles A.</span>
Charles A.

"A great chat service at a great price"

What do you like best?

Hipchat has been convenient coordinating with my team. The saved history feature which is built in has saved me multiple times.

What do you dislike?

The interface could be a bit quicker. I do like the apps but some of the newer chat services run quicker and don't slow my computer down. Although none seem to have as good of history saving.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend giving it a try as it has been greatly beneficial to my team. It has allowed projects to be completed quicker and customer service questions to get resolved.

The biggest problem hipchat has solved has been the lack of good chat services built into CRM systems. My team uses hipchat to function in customer service and project coordination. We are also able to quickly send files and get code reviews in place. We have eliminated having a lot of meetings simply by being able to coordinate in the rooms that hipchat offers.

HipChat review by <span>Nicole N.</span>
Nicole N.

"Everyday user of HipChat"

What do you like best?

I love that I can change the background color in preferences of the hipchat. I LOVE that it helps me keep in touch with all of my co-located co-workers and I can share plenty of things through the chat. It also allows me to search through all chats to find a discussion that I may have had earlier in the year which is SUPER HELPFUL.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could save all of the files in one place and know who they were from. Or that the system would do it for me.

Co-location issues, it's easier to communicate via hipchat than have a spontaneous meeting that may be unproductive.

HipChat review by <span>Alyn C.</span>
Alyn C.

"We could not live without HipChat in this office!"

What do you like best?

In my job we have to be able to communicate very quickly with each other, this gives us so many ways to have constant communication with each other whenever we need to.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, there isn't really anything I can think that I would change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a place to communicate with different groups in your company, instantly, this is the best option!

We are always on phone calls here and it's hard to talk to everyone and ask questions where everyone can answer, this makes it so we can all talk at the same time, etc.

HipChat review by <span>Aaron T.</span>
Aaron T.

"Hipchat Review"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the ease of use and the sleek design. Setting up rooms is simple and finding users to chat with can be done quickly. The emojis are fun to use and allow for a great user experience. Tagging people is simple, and tagging an entire room is a great feature to quickly alert all in the room. The PHI compliancy is an extremely useful feature. The ability to integrate with other apps like emails and Jira is really helpful as well.

What do you dislike?

At this time, their are no features that I dislike in Hipchat.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great platform for interoffice communications. It allows for rooms to be created for team collaboration and one on one chats as well.

Bringing together a company and allowing interoffice communications, team collaboration, and video chatting.

HipChat review by <span>Christopher C.</span>
Christopher C.

"Hipchat Team Collaberation"

What do you like best?

Team Collaboration as well as being able to upload pictures to share with the team, regardless of what they are. Being able to keep constant communication internally via the website, application for Widows, or mobile app, is vital for our team.

What do you dislike?

Not having an integration with out Business Suite (ConnectWise) hinders us a bit as other competitors (Slack) do have this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are just starting out, take a look at Slack as well. They are very similar and see what suits your needs. We found, at the time, that HipChat was easier to use and more friendly to our staff.

We have went through a number of different chat programs and we find that HipChat allowed for the easiest way to talk with all of our staff members, create polls, and have fun while chatting with each other.

HipChat review by User in Computer Software

"Chat, training and software bugs all on one"

What do you like best?

HipChat functionalities as we can have private chats or create chat rooms. I like how the emoji functions and the ease of use.

What do you dislike?

I also use Slack and personally I prefer HipChat. There are issues however where HipChat gets buggy where iOS not get notified when I get a personal message when I should have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good alternative to Slack. I also use Slack and personally prefer HipChat. However many of my colleagues outside of the customer success team prefer Slack. I believe it depends on the functions that you are seeking.

We use Confluence for HipChat (its chat function), Atlassian for documentation of processes, and Jira, its issue tracking platform. I like it all being linked in one platform as it is easier to refer to issues and link them to chat rooms.

HipChat review by <span>Caleb A.</span>
Caleb A.

"An acceptable communication platform for business purposes"

What do you like best?

Separate chat rooms that can easily be created. Easy to chat with people one-on-one. Email notifications that allow you to see messages you may have missed, and great ping options for if I don't check it. Using HipChat has made connecting with various people in the company much simpler, has cut down on my emails received, and streamlines communication away from messages I don't need to see.

What do you dislike?

The platform is very slow on my machine, running Windows 7. The specs of the machine are great, but the software takes a long time to load and sometimes freezes up. Several other co-workers have mentioned the same issue running on other platforms as well, so it's not an isolated issue. Waking up from the software sleeping is also a pain, and sometimes I find myself using Google Hangouts instead to communicate to my peers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While HipChat is a great platform, in my experience I've enjoyed using Slack much more.

Before HipChat we used Google Chat, which works, but doesn't allow as much customization in chatting in various rooms. An example of a benefit is that some of us recently went to a conference, so I created a chat room, invited the people who were going, and we discussed travel plans, who was bringing what, and coordinated easily.

HipChat review by User in Design
User in Design

"HipChat is great!"

What do you like best?

I work part time from home, so HipChat really helps to make communication simple and quick with my office coworkers. We can chat live, versus email where you have a long thread of back and forths, which is perfect for quick and time sensitive questions. The HipChat app is also great for when I am not able to be at my computer, but need to be available to my team.

What do you dislike?

There are no major dislikes at this time! Maybe an expanded emoji palette would be a nice addition for our water cooler-esque silly conversations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for a team environment. Can set up different chat rooms with specified people to discuss specific projects individually, the group as a whole or chat one on one with users as needed. Very easy to use and learn.

You can attach files in the chat rooms, so I can review work and have virtual meetings with anyone easily without files having to be downloaded by the other party. With many coworkers being in and out of the office on client meetings, it is nice to be able to chat quickly with them on the go as well.

HipChat review by <span>Derek C.</span>
Derek C.

"Great dev tool for communications"

What do you like best?

This is a great tool that ties in with JIRA for communication between team members of developers or non-developers

What do you dislike?

I actually can't think of anything that I dislike

Recommendations to others considering the product

I love how you can customize the HipChat feeds to receive information from many different environments. The tool is very customizable. We ping all of the DEVs through hipchat when a build is complete or when a build has been deployed, and we even have a Giphy plugin to automatically add gifs to a thread.

Quick way to communicate with other team members that may be distributed around the country

HipChat review by <span>Jackie L.</span>
Jackie L.

"Very helpful to communicate with team"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that we can make this company wide. It's very helpful to have easily accessible from your phone or computer. You can create groups with certain people or just save one on one conversations. Also, keeps me from using google chat which I don't always get notified I have a message. If I'm away it also notifies me via email so I can jump on quickly.

What do you dislike?

Doesn't save conversations after a month or so.

I am able to communicate quickly with everyone in my company. Especially my development team I can ask a quick question rather than getting up and bothering them.

HipChat review by <span>Curtis M.</span>
Curtis M.

"HipChat helps me stay in contact with my team no matter where we are."

What do you like best?

HipChat has amazing integration with other products such as; Jenkins, Bamboo, Confluence, BitBucket, and GitHub just to name a few.

What do you dislike?

The Video conferencing is ok but I wouldn't recommend it as a selling feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool really helps get your team integrated together. The more ways to get your employees talking the better, right? The fact that you can have it on more devices really helps push the team in a positive direction.

Whenever I would work remote we always struggled with getting everyone to use a chat system. HipChat has made employees who thought they would never like a chat system LOVE a chat system. We are always connected whether remote or just in the aisle next to each other. Conversations can be had quietly without the need of a conference room.

HipChat review by <span>Vitaliy T.</span>
Vitaliy T.

"Used to assist 20+ people in opened chats at the same time during this day"

What do you like best?

Good messenger to manage chats with a lot of people at the same time. You can send images, custom smiles etc. Easy to open 10-15 chats and switch between them. Also it is easy to use chat rooms with a lot of people and create new rooms.

Also audio and video calls are available, so that you can keep all comunications in one place without any third party apps.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when a lot of chats opened, it's hard to find the corresponding person or room in the list. Need more functionality to sort them in the interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy in adoptation for big teams

Chating with huge team of people and in several rooms.

Sending documents

Assisting colleagues with any issues and question in a fast and efficient way during our work

HipChat review by <span>Chantal W.</span>
Chantal W.

"AIMS on overload."

What do you like best?

This chat platform is the easiest to use, this is going back to the days of using AIMS. The ability to quickly create groups, build different rooms, add, tag and create your own emojis.

What do you dislike?

i'm a big fan of the website version of the chat, I noticed on my I7 Windows 10 computer, with 8GB of ram there was a bit of a lag receiving the messages or the scroll bar doesn't refresh to the current text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it some time, it's a bit of a learning curve depending on what you switch from, but it is well worth taking the time to get it learn it.

We post case work for technicians to pick up on incoming or schedule appointments. This helps us communicate conveniently.

HipChat review by <span>Scott G.</span>
Scott G.

"A great tool for remote businesses"

What do you like best?

It is really easy to use and it a great tool to stay in touch with your team

What do you dislike?

Wish it could have hashtag searches or search by subject

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a better way to communicate HipChat gets that done. It has several great functions built in to help you share files and data. You can create several rooms specific to topics, you can connect GDrive to share files and Google Hangouts is built in so you can easily create a video call with your team members.

I work in a virtual environment. Hipchat brings us together. It allows us to have different chat rooms and Google Hangouts is built in.

HipChat review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Great, but worth paying for?"

What do you like best?

Love the way I can share images and content, instant viewing. Love the custom emojis.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that I can't send more than one file at once. I don't like how I have to click twice to download, then it just displays in a browser so I have to click again to download. I'd like an instant way to tell it whether I want to zoom or download. I'm not sure why I would pay to have HipChat when I could have the same for free. Considering switching to Slack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would try out Slack in addition to HipChat and think hard about if you really need to use the pay version.

We just need a way to write to each other quickly in the office. And outside the office. I've always had one form of chat or another, so it wasn't special when we switched to HipChat.

HipChat review by <span>Craig B.</span>
Craig B.

"It's a fine chat client"

What do you like best?

Here's the thing about HipChat: It gets the job done.

What I want is a place where I can type words in a screen and have other people see them. What I get is just that. It also has all the other things you would expect: Rooms, private chats, etc.

On top of that, as an engineer, it's nice to be able to use sed-style s/old/new/ statements to be able to correct history.

What do you dislike?

In the current version of the UI I find it really hard to track people down, I always have to hit the "New chat" button and type their name. I'd probably like for the user-list on the left to sort by recency of chat. I get invited to a lot of rooms, maybe have inactive rooms fade to the background after a few months. I'd like for my chat solution to look after itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For a new team I'd recommend Slack. That said, if you're in the Atlassian ecosystem, it'll serve you well.

Communication. HipChat does a good job. It is the default platform by which our engineering team chats. Also, by being a service outside of our main infrastructure, it'll be there in a disaster.

HipChat review by <span>Aubrie A.</span>
Aubrie A.

"Engaging, easy to use, great customer support"

What do you like best?

ipchat is easy to use and has just the right amount of fun built-in. I manage a team of student-employees and they love being able to create their own emoticons by uploading images- not that there's a need as the available emoticons seem to be updated with the internet's finest memes regularly.

Hipchat also offers integrations. At the moment we have our help ticketing software sending notifications to a specific 'room' whenever a new ticket comes in. This is very helpful as not only lets our team know there's a new ticket, but gives them a place to call dibs and discuss possible answers together. We also had an integration set up with twitter for a staff development game we played.

When you join Hipchat, you join a certain 'team'. Within the team, people are free to create their own 'rooms' as they see fit and make them private or public. I like that I only have to log in once and have all of my conversations in one place.

The @mentions and ability to copy and paste images, gifs, and links easily is also a plus. These may seem like obvious traits these days, but not all chatting platforms have them!

I contacted customer support and they definitely exceeded my expectations, explaining everything happening on their end and following up when I least expected it.

What do you dislike?

I am personally not a fan of the desktop client interface, but that's okay because I just use the browser version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As always, make a list of the features you absolutely cannot do without, then evaluate it.

Here's a feature we thought was indispensable: having a customizable status (not just the default 'away'/'available'). We used this to denote location of our ever-shifting employees. Though Hipchat still has this feature, it is not as prominent as it once was. However, this feature did not end up being critical as we found a workaround: adding location codes to people's names. I relay this story to illustrate how some of our 'critical' features were able to be adjusted to fit the tool. So, determine what's critical for you, and whether Hipchat can address those things.

It was very important for us to have the ability to have public and private rooms, for different groups. This way, we can hold group conversations with whatever groups we need, and determine who would need access to them.

Secondly, we wanted something separate from other accounts. We had tried Hangouts in the past and it got much too confusing with people using the account for other reasons and appearing to be 'online/available'.

Hint: There are many integrations to explore if it doesn't seem to be available right away.

HipChat review by <span>Sabrina L.</span>
Sabrina L.

"Easy choice for collaboration"

What do you like best?

The following are made easy: starting a new room (w/ specified people) or a new chat w/ someone, knowing their status (on a phone, available), tagging a specific person in a chat room, searching through shared media (e.g. links), doing a general search for text

What do you dislike?

Tagging 'all' doesn't actually notify everyone that's part of the chat room

We create rooms that are for specific projects/clients so that the conversations have context and only the people involved need to be part of the discussion.

HipChat review by <span>Mike B.</span>
Mike B.

"Simple, less-noisy team chat for dev teams"

What do you like best?

HipChat is simpler and quieter than its main competitor, Slack. For JIRA, Bitbucket, Atlassian-suite users it's also far easier to integrate notifications for deploy and code review requests into.

It seems like a mix of automated notices and p2p messages keeps teams engaged with team activities and lowers some engineer's tendency for "are they really working on work" judgements. As a result, it seems like HipChat has helped some team members I've worked with to be a little less-critical of others. This is a huge boost for team dynamics and keeping everyone working in a positive direction.

Nonetheless, it's a low-friction way for teams to answer each other's questions with less interruption than a scheduled meeting might warrant.

What do you dislike?

Team chat is increasingly used by open source projects, conferences, and local meetup groups. Which also means many developers and engineers are pulled away from work topics to marginally- or non-work-related rooms they're already members of. Not that phones & social media aren't there already, but team chat does require some active management time to make sure everyone is using good judgement on how much time they spend there.

Also, beware adding non-technical employees to every chat channel. Some product managers and analysts can become distracting. HipChat can end up looking like an excuse for these roles to interrupt devs away from in-context code questions to out-of-context feasibility and spec questions.

HipChat also has some technical-speed issues on Atlassian's end:

(1) It tends to lag on client updates. Mobile client don't always seem to be updated on the same cycle as the desktop app. And the desktop app doesn't always match the web client's functionality. Chat still works, but if you're a HipChat power-team with labeling conventions and busy notice channels, this can make those hard to use well across devices.

(2) One of the biggest reasons to upgrade to the paid version of HipChat is the infinite search history. Ideally, this would replace team wikis and docs, because every standard & decision could just be looked-up when needed. Unfortunately the search system Atlassian has built has poor matching algorithms, and indexing seems to lag so badly at times that you can't look up recent chats at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with the team to set some team standards around what HipChat is acceptable for & discuss its goals. Aim to keep things work-related without crushing individuality & all fun (like gif-sharing). It won't stay 100% work-related all the time, but it's better than having team members off on Reddit or feeling like they want to leave for lunch early just to email something funny around. Plan to have the team's engineering manager do a few reminders about this a year, especially after new-hires.

Don't let "it's on HipChat" be the sole reason for going a full week without meetings. Don't expect the whole team to have read every HipChat message. HipChat isn't an effective summarization tool. Individuals need to do that when they prep for & run a meeting. The *whole* team or squad should be at a meeting.

Beware of adding non-technical users to every HipChat channel, especially ones where dev squads get technical. Be VERY WARY of adding the whole company to HipChat. It's not a replacement for all meetings.

HipChat helps team engagement with devops events, code reviews, and each other's progress. It's a low-friction way for teams to answer each other's questions and reduce total meeting time.

With off-site or on-travel team members the video chat system is a boon to productivity. HipChat makes it easy for devs to chat about specific topics as-needed, instead of scheduling conference calls and putting things off until someone is back in the office.

HipChat review by <span>Peter B.</span>
Peter B.

"Mostly great, but some persistent nagging issues"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is a great instant message platform. Features like @mentions, custom emojis, support of IRC syntax (/me is being sarcastic) are all excellent. It also supports video and audio calls which is good for remote work/teams.

What do you dislike?

Frequent problems with audio not working on video calls have made me stop even attempting to use hipchat for ad-hoc video or audio conferences, I have to swap over to open gotomeeting. This is unfortunate because it disrupts the ease-of-use and no need for a context switch when I'm text messaging with someone and need to switch to audio or video. The fact that this major feature of hipchat is regularly broken (85% of the time I go to use it from the OSX native client) is a big dislike. They've also had some intermittent downtime lately which is a pain - when hipchat goes down for a good part of the day once a quarter, and it is our primary communication tool, that's a big issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

A solid product with some issues - still worth using, Atlassian is a decent company that can fix the problems they're having.

We use hipchat more than email at my company. It is the primary way to contact others, and having persistent chat rooms for a topic (or a team, or an incident) is a great benefit. Searchable history is good as well (though the search could be improved).

HipChat review by <span>Lidia K.</span>
Lidia K.

"Hipchat Lacking in Some Elements"

What do you like best?

HipChat was a good way to stay connected to my remote company employees. It was fairly easy to set up and add people to rooms.

What do you dislike?

Overall, the interface didn't work as well as we wanted it to be. The interface wasn't hugely intuitive and didn't allow for a lot of customization. It also glitched sometimes and didn't always send us messages. We have since moved to Slack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a highly customizable, easy to use interface, HipChat may not be the best chat application. However, if you already use other Atlassian Suite products, it is easier to get used to the format.

We used HipChat to stay in communication with each other, as we have many employees working in multiple cities.

HipChat review by <span>Loreli S.</span>
Loreli S.

"HipChat gets the job done "

What do you like best?

Multiple rooms, ability to tag other people in the room (which sends them an instant notification via email) and the emoticons, and the HipChat app.

What do you dislike?

When someone sends you an individual message it doesn't give you a notification, so you must be actively engaged in HipChat to noticed someone is trying to talk to you privately. When you send images or videos, they stay put in the chat log, there isn't a way to minimize them so you don't have to see them when reviewing the chat. The desktop version of HipChat has a lot of technical issues and doesn't allow me to use the product, in order to have success with the product I have to use the Web version. We've had numerous issues in the past year with HipChat being slow or not working at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the mobile and web version but stay away from the desktop version of HipChat.

Bringing colleagues from different offices together to be able to communicate in real-time across the world. It is an easy way to solve your problems by asking everyone in the room a question.

HipChat review by <span>Carly C.</span>
Carly C.

"Works great"

What do you like best?

It is simple and gets the job done. Rarely do I have issues with it. It also has fun integrations, like gif and meme generators.

What do you dislike?

It suffers downtime that can last for hours, which inhibits communications between people at my company. It also doesn't make it easy to actually download screenshots and such to your computer, you have to click open the image, then open it in a browser, then right-click and save.

It is a way to quickly send things to people, like links or images or design files. We use it to communicate with others across the office as well as use it to receive and provide tech help via chatrooms.

HipChat review by User in Events Services
User in Events Services

"Doesn't seem very useful"

What do you like best?

That I can see when coworkers are online/available to chat

What do you dislike?

Maybe my office just doesn't use it effectively, but it seems like a waste. Coworkers still call or email or drop by my desk instead of using it. So it just seems like a way for HR to check up on me and make sure I'm logged in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For those implementing to the rest of the org -- do more than send an email saying "Download this. We can see who hasn't downloaded, so be sure to do it this week." We received no explanation nor examples of how to make it useful in our organization.

If used effectively it could help cut down on office hopping -- we have two separate office locations across the street from each other. Coworkers could use it to see if I'm at my desk before heading over, or getting their questions answered online instead of trekking over to see me.

HipChat review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Everything works except mobile"

What do you like best?

I really like that you can create your own emojis to use! I also love how easy it is to insert an emoji into your message. I also like that it is easy to create a new group.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the notifications. Sometimes it will fail to notify me that I received a message. This happens most often when I receive a message while I was offline. I will come back and not realize I have a message waiting for me. I also don't like that the mobile app doesn't work for our company.

We are solving the problem of collaborating in a fast-paced development environment. Also, we are solving the problem of collaborating across geographically separate work places.

HipChat review by <span>G. Jonathan G.</span>
G. Jonathan G.

"Excellent Service"

What do you like best?

Hipchat (once everyone in the organization is on board) is an excellent piece of software. Easy to use, lots of great features that are added all the time, and has the ability to even have more "private" rooms for one on one or small group discussion. Excellent mobile apps are also incredibly helpful.

What do you dislike?

Hipchat has a limited team selection, and for some the interface will be a little different and thus create some problems for people who are used to other chat systems (Hangouts for example).

Hipchat allows everyone at my company to stay up to date on what everyone else is doing around you. It allows ease of conversation, and is just as quick, if not quicker, than sending a text.

HipChat review by <span>Kayla L.</span>
Kayla L.

"Hipchat"

What do you like best?

I love hipchat. It is SUCH a vital part of my day to day. We depend on hipchat for team communications. We have a lot of remote team leaders, and hipchat helps us stay connected at all times.

What do you dislike?

Hipchat seems to have a lot of updates constantly or will just randomly go down. That's software in general for you though, but that is always something that can be improved. I also wish the option to leave a room without having to have an admin remove you was available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a simple and easy to use platform for communications, then this is the tool!

We are able to eliminate phone calls for quick questions, and it's easier for us to have group conversations. I really love hipchat. We can keep rooms private and it's easy to add/remove rooms as needed. It's definitely a time saver.

HipChat review by <span>Alison G.</span>
Alison G.

"Overall Positive Experience"

What do you like best?

I love how everything can be separated into different chat rooms for different functionalities. We use this throughout the entirety of our business processes for administration, development and support.

What do you dislike?

I disliked how Hipchat was experiencing connectivity issues back in Summer of 2016. That was frustrating to both myself and my staff. We did push through it though and now everything seems stable and back up and running again smooth.

We are solving the ability for our office staff to communicate with each other in groups and individually without constant interruption around the office. We have the ability to monitor conversations in a group chat setting and keep record of things that have been said for accounability.

HipChat review by User in Computer Games
User in Computer Games

"Perfect for companies, no matter big or small. "

What do you like best?

A good User Interface laced with seamless performance makes hipchat a great instant messenger for any company. Out of all the features, I am a big fan of the group feature as it is not just helpful but very effective and takes communication within organization simpler than ever! The emojis is something that everyone across the organization like. Also, the way we can notify updates made in either confluence or Jira is something that should be attributed to.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike. But I think the android app still needs to be improved and brought up to the level of the web application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider it for good stable software. Quick installation and a good user interface is something that everyone in the organization would love. The groups feature is something that is a plus. It comes with a bunch of other features like integration with Jira, confluence that makes things easier to collaborate.

It has an app too which is stable and useful. Easier to connect and easier to handle. Overall, I'll give it a 5 out of 5 star.

Communication was always the main issue within any organization. Hipchat was a great addition as an instant messenger for my organization. It helped the communication between employees easy and manageable. Sending emojis and gifs is something that everyone loves. We connect to people easily and have effective communication.

HipChat review by <span>Denise Maria F.</span>
Denise Maria F.

"Adequate"

What do you like best?

It does what it's supposed to - allows our distributed company to contact each other and chat in realtime.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to save the messages that can be entered in "Set your status" so that they can be re-used (for instance, "At lunch; be back at 1")

As I indicated in the first question, it does what it's supposed to do. It allows our distributed company to contact each other in real time. It takes much less time to click on HipChat to see if someone's green indicator is on than to try to text or call - especially easier than texting because I'm using a full-sized keyboard instead of my thumbs.

"Review of Hipchat"

What do you like best?

The feature I like most about HipChat is how easy it is to communicate with my coworkers. It's almost like a social media platform, regarding the messaging aspect, but I can use it without having to keep a social media messaging platform up in a browser. All my coworkers are on HipChat and their names are logged in. It makes it so easy to find out a quick detail about something I need or a question I have.

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of anything I don't like about HipChat. I can send files, photos, etc. The only thing I don't like is it is challenging to send multiple photos at once. If there is a way, I haven't been able o figure it out and have to send each image individually. This makes things complicated when I need to send images for a graphic designer to quickly put together for an ad.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Know the names of your coworkers.

There are so many things my coworkers and I need to communicate about immediately to help us complete our work efficiently. Hip chat makes this so easy, so we're not clogging our e-mails or running around the office.

HipChat review by <span>Annie M.</span>
Annie M.

"Easy, Light, Fun"

What do you like best?

The clean design and ease of use are the things I like best about HipChat. The inline URL previews and image display make it convenient to quickly share with my colleagues.

What do you dislike?

There honestly isn't a lot I would change. I guess some different color themes would be nice, though they do have both light and dark available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

HipChat offers many, very helpful integrations that your team can be encouraged to explore to improve productivity.

We are a five-personal virtual office. Until I came along and convinced my co-workers to give HipChat a try, they were using email only. Gasp! Not only does it keep us in close, easy contact, we have fun with it throughout the day.

HipChat review by User in Internet

"Great communication tool"

What do you like best?

Hipchat is an easy to use communication tool, with a clean UI, Its ability to communicate individually or to a room of people makes it a great tool for an office with multiple teams or projects. We have integrated Hipchat with our Stash repository notifications. I am also able to use it on my iphone and read messages on Apple Watch.

What do you dislike?

It seems to have gone down the route of emoticons, with pointless animated ones which seem to serve no purpose, on top of that they are not easy to add to your conversation, by clicking on the emoji icon it gives you about 8 of the usual ones, but you have to click on more, which then opens a web page, that ruins the User experience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hip chat is a great tool, and has been taken up by 95% of the team, with many useful features in an easy to use interface.

We needed an easy to use internal communication tool for our support and developers to use. Previous messenger apps all had something missing which meant we didn't have a big enough take up on the product, the features of Hipchat have meant a big uptake on users making it a successful implementation

HipChat review by <span>Josiah L.</span>
Josiah L.

"HipChat Product Review"

What do you like best?

HipChat provides a comprehensive suite of messaging tools for use in an office environment. In particular, the option to create separate chat rooms helps to further collaboration across departments. In addition, the option to search your history offers a great way to reference past chats when looking for a reference point.

What do you dislike?

As part of the Atlassian product suite, I would have expected a tighter integration with smarter shortcuts. For instance, as a JIRA user, it would help if HipChat automatically linked to tickets based on a recognized format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great fit with the rest of the Atlassian product line.

Of all the messaging tools we've used, this has become the standard across departments.

HipChat review by Administrator in Photography
Administrator in Photography

"HipChat Review"

What do you like best?

I like the customization that it offers such as being able to create multiple rooms and invite specific people to each room. I also appreciate the notifications. We have also utilized the video chat features occasionally. I also appreciate the search functions and being able to search text and filed that have been sent since out HipChat client was established.

What do you dislike?

They need a phone app for Windows based phones and there should be a way to belong to multiple HipChat clients without having to change emails.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IT's great software but they don't have mobile capabilities for those with a Windows phone.

Most of the team I belong to is located in New Mexico, I am in Ohio, we are able to work more closely together since we have been using HipChat

HipChat review by <span>Kammy O.</span>
Kammy O.

"The BEST tool for team communication"

What do you like best?

For our team it is out go to for everything. We share with the group, a sub group or just one other. Share office info, update time away, and ask for help or just a quick joke. The built-in emoticons and keywords, along with the ability to add your own has made for a few fun moments. The ability to search history is a huge help.

What do you dislike?

Updates and installs sometimes hear complaints that it is too often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not hesitate.

Without HipChat we would be using IM's and email. HipChat keeps all our communication in one place. If we are working from home and/or office we have all the communication tools we need.

HipChat review by <span>Mario J. P.</span>
Mario J. P.

"The best chat tool to use if you have Atlassian products"

What do you like best?

There a few things: 1) it keeps your conversation history, so when someone sends you a link or data, you can always reference it at a later time, 2) you can easily do screenshares and video chat and 3) it links to JIRA tickets so you can easily have a conversation about a ticket

What do you dislike?

Not much to be honest. It'd be nice if you could customize the display a little more.

We use it to communicate with other business teams and stakeholders

HipChat review by <span>Amanda S.</span>
Amanda S.

"Functional, easy to use, but buggy at times"

What do you like best?

I like how hipchat makes it easy to have group conversations with multiple teams at one time, and that they offer an app, a web app, and you can even use outside apps to access the chat services. Their usage of custom icons and gifs is a fun add-on, and they also have some built-in configurations and integrations with some other popular software.

What do you dislike?

My company uses this as their default chat tool but the application can be buggy with connection errors sometimes, that you won't encounter using the web app. The ios phone app has some really annoying features such as showing you notification badges that there are unread messages but not indicating which of many chat windows the new messages appear in. The app also doesn't shut down properly and alerts you of new messages when you thought you'd closed it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at which software it offers integration with to see if you are satisfied with that. They are mobile friendly but not the best UI or thought went into the mobile version.

It makes collaboration easier when you are working remotely with teams and need to check in frequently in real time, also makes virtual scrums easy.

HipChat review by User in Consumer Electronics
User in Consumer Electronics

"Great but missing a few features"

What do you like best?

I love that screen sharing is so easy and chat is great. It is easy to start new chats and it is a clean and simple interface with plenty of plugins.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there is no option for an audio-only chat, as some people are not comfortable starting a video chat and having their camera come on by default. I also dislike the lack of audio controls. I cannot change my microphone sensitivity and can't change the push-to-talk hotkey, so people often have to hear my keyboard or me breathing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have the person who will be admin test plugins out and be open to feedback and changing things as individual users cannot.

We are trying to find a way to chat and share links to our salesforce easily, which hip chat is great for! I wish individual users could install plugins, since some people would like to use them and some people don't. Benefits are the ease of screen sharing--skype is so finicky and hard to screen share with, but hipchat is so easy and never gives us any issues.

HipChat review by User

"Not the best for collaboration"

What do you like best?

I like being able to integrate with a lot of our systems.

What do you dislike?

My biggest issue with HipChat is the fact that it doesn't save any more time than emailing people. In order to message multiple people at once you HAVE to create a room - which is absurd. The UI is pretty clunky and buggy fairly often. The mobile app is very buggy and doesn't update immediately. Search is next to useless, really hard to find historical conversations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend using Stride or Slack - better UI makes for less email.

Real-time collaboration - but haven't seen a benefit. It's better to just email since it's easier to search.

HipChat review by <span>Mark M.</span>