HipChat

Team chat that's actually built for business. Persistent, searchable, and loaded with goodies: video calling, screen sharing, and the security your IT team craves.

Work for HipChat?
Callbridge 2x

Learning about HipChat?

HipChat Reviews

Showing 581 HipChat reviews
HipChat review by <span>Ian C.</span>
Ian C.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The interface is very well-done and the integration with Confluence, JIRA, Bitbucket, and Redmine is very slick. We've used a number of chat-based collaboration tools including Openfire, Skype, and others. Hipchat is the best. The availability of Hipchat across platforms is very helpful and it's easy to transition between systems. I have both Windows and Mac desktops. and chat messages appear on both systems without any problems. The Mac client offer a very useful screen capture function, though Windows client does not. The no-cost edition of Hipchat has easily met our needs. The cloud-hosted edition of Hipchat offered us the benefits of very low implementation and maintenance resource requirements.

What do you dislike?

Not a dislike but would like SSO integration for cloud-based HipChat and also integration with other IM services. This would allow for much easier deployment across our organization. This limitation has meant we are only using it within our DevOps group. While its not problem in the context of how we use Hipchat, there is a limit on chat history retention.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider whether it meets your requirements. Cheap for small team but for mid-size might be costly.

Team communication using chat. quickly sharing screenshots, integration with notices from Confluence and JIRA. Hipchat rooms can be linked to specific JIRA projects and that has proven very helpful to our DevOps team.The alert provided by JIRA help us to react more quickly to critical tickets, in comparison to email notifications.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about HipChat
HipChat review by <span>Megan T.</span>
Megan T.

HipChat - simple and sleek

Updated On
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like the user interface - super clean and easy to use, only the most necessary functions are present so there's no clutter. The silly emojis allow me to add personality to otherwise "professional" correspondence. And it's easy to share files.

What do you dislike?

The notifications are inconsistent - sometimes I get them on my phone when I'm offline, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I receive an email that one of my rooms was updated, sometimes I don't. I also wish there was a free video conferencing ability. We were able to use it for a couple of weeks for some reason without paying, and then it was removed. It was a great integrated video / call feature; why make me go to a separate tool that will allow me to do it for free?

I work on a fairly remote team - 3 of us are onsite and 2 are off. HipChat allows us to break all our team projects into different rooms, as well as other topics of interest, and keep our team conversation regarding each project in its specific chat room. This makes it easy to get a quick update of where a project is without having to call or email a remote team member. Also it simply reduces email clutter for us, because we'd probably be sending quite a few without it. It's also more compliant for our organization than Slack is, which is why we use it.

0 of 0 found this helpful.

What Web Conferencing solution do you use?

HipChat review by <span>Elnaz S.</span>
Elnaz S.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like the user interface. It is simple, clean and very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it does have bugs....where it randomly kicks you out of your account or cannot log back into one's account. But typically it works again after several attempts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product very easy to use. Very affordable and has some of the same features and benefits as some of the similar more expensive solutions out there. There are times where one might run into issues or when the app might require some improvements in terms of bug fixes, but they are generally good in addressing those and fixing those in a timely manner. Again, for what one would pay, this is a very good solution. I would also add that this is most likely tailored to smaller to mid-size organization. So if you work in a smaller team or smaller company, this tool would be ideal.

Communication with peers and with different departments at work.

HipChat review by <span>Junyang X.</span>
Junyang X.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

Hipchat is a simple, easy to ease, peer-to-peer chat program. It does log all the activities, including chats, uploads, images, screenshots. It also allows you to create as many custom rooms for discussion or problem solving, for example, we generally setup a room for each JIRA being worked on so the right people always has access to the latest information. The activity log is crucial to be able to dig through chats and information sent a month or even several months back. Don't forget about the customized emojis (shared across entire company)

What do you dislike?

Default sends email notification to user, clogs up inbox. Also, the PC/mobile synchronization can be off sometimes. Would be nice to have more default themes to match backgrounds. Search function can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free, lightweight, less cumbersome and "HIP" than slack... the irony

Reduces bulk of 1-liner emails. Issues can be discussed and resolved more quickly rather than waiting for a response on email.

HipChat review by <span>Alicia G.</span>
Alicia G.
Validated Review

Makes me feel like part of a team!

Validated Review
What do you like best?

I like that I can see who's online, who's on their cell phone, be able to create conversations with groups and one-off individuals, send emojis and send attachments.

What do you dislike?

I like the concept of the video chat, but I feel it's not executed as well as some other video based softwares (such as Zoom). It's great for just video conferencing, but if you need to screen share, it can be a bit laggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for a way to get your remote team connected, HipChat is a great software. It's great for quick meetings when you just need to connect face-to-face, but if you need to do more "robust" screen sharing, I would suggest jumping to another software for that level of detail.

We are a remotely based work force, so being able to connect with my team in real-time (instead of back and forth through email) is fantastic.

HipChat review by <span>Sujata G.</span>
Sujata G.
Validated Review
What do you like best?

The best part about Hipchat is its simplistic GUI. You will find everything on one page. The page is very well divided into Rooms, people, chat content and Members involved.

It is very easy to find any room(group) or people by just scrolling up and down. Once you select any group, you will be able to see the members of it on left side. Even availability status is provided.

It also provide file sharing option and large amount of text which is not supported by many other chat apps.

Another best thing is it keeps history, so no hassle when finding some conversations. Search history tab is great help for that.

Its Web as well as Desktop app, both are awesome!

What do you dislike?

Hipchat is simple and just does everything what an Chat app is supposed to do.

According to me, I don't have any thing to dislike it, but yes more emoji's will definitely make chatting more fun at work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it and you will love the way it works. Simple and best. Best for team interaction and information sharing.

Conveying any message is very simple, just post in the group and its pops up so very less chances of any one missing it.

Every time we just can't go to other desk, so its very handy for small talks and file sharing.

Even at different location conveying messages has become easy. It also save lot of efforts during calls.

Learning about HipChat?

* We monitor all HipChat reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.