HipChat

Team chat that's actually built for business. Persistent, searchable, and loaded with goodies: video calling, screen sharing, and the security your IT team craves.

Work for HipChat?
Callbridge 2x

Learning about HipChat?

HipChat Reviews

Showing 600 HipChat reviews
HipChat review by <span>Candace G.</span>
Candace G.

HipChat

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use this program. It's great for connecting with everyone in the office and super easy to use. Making groups is easy and convenient.

What do you dislike?

I would love for the emoji system to be less basic.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is definitely a great way to communicate with and connect with your team. You can use it on your computer or in a mobile capacity on your phone or tablet. The video call feature is also very helpful, though not always the best quality. While it is very easy to use I would love to see more Google Hangout inspired user interfacing and ability to attach larger files easier. But for a way to connect and communicate it gets the job done and is definitely a great resource/tool.

Being able to connect with different groups of people or everyone in the office quickly without having to call or email. The instant nature of it is great. You can share files and links and it's really wonderful and convenient. And the fact that you can download the app and use it anywhere is essential for my work.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about HipChat
HipChat review by <span>Billy H.</span>
Billy H.

Using Hipchat as IM with Developers

What do you like best?

1. Hipchat is easy to use and can be used in the browsers that I use (Chrome, Firefox, IE)

2. Hipchat has a mobile app on the Apple App Store (I use an iOS device) and the UI is very friendly

3. I can create groups for a specific project or chat with individuals that's also on my company domain

4. History is automatically loaded when I go back to the room or people

5. Files and Links are stored on the side for each chat

What do you dislike?

1. Shortcuts are not customizable.

2. Status is Available, Away or DND

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pricing: Hipchat is a pretty standard but powerful chat program in the Atlassian suite of programs. It does what most other chat/IM tools do (like Skype for Business) but without the phone/video conferencing and screen share.

General communication for project teams or 1:1 chat with other individuals within my organization

What Web Conferencing solution do you use?

HipChat review by <span>Ian C.</span>
Ian C.

Hipchat is an excellent collaboration tool

What do you like best?

The interface is very well-done and the integration with Confluence, JIRA, Bitbucket, and Redmine is very slick. We've used a number of chat-based collaboration tools including Openfire, Skype, and others. Hipchat is the best. The availability of Hipchat across platforms is very helpful and it's easy to transition between systems. I have both Windows and Mac desktops. and chat messages appear on both systems without any problems. The Mac client offer a very useful screen capture function, though Windows client does not. The no-cost edition of Hipchat has easily met our needs. The cloud-hosted edition of Hipchat offered us the benefits of very low implementation and maintenance resource requirements.

What do you dislike?

Not a dislike but would like SSO integration for cloud-based HipChat and also integration with other IM services. This would allow for much easier deployment across our organization. This limitation has meant we are only using it within our DevOps group. While its not problem in the context of how we use Hipchat, there is a limit on chat history retention.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider whether it meets your requirements. Cheap for small team but for mid-size might be costly.

Team communication using chat. quickly sharing screenshots, integration with notices from Confluence and JIRA. Hipchat rooms can be linked to specific JIRA projects and that has proven very helpful to our DevOps team.The alert provided by JIRA help us to react more quickly to critical tickets, in comparison to email notifications.

HipChat review by <span>Megan T.</span>
Megan T.

HipChat - simple and sleek

What do you like best?

I like the user interface - super clean and easy to use, only the most necessary functions are present so there's no clutter. The silly emojis allow me to add personality to otherwise "professional" correspondence. And it's easy to share files.

What do you dislike?

The notifications are inconsistent - sometimes I get them on my phone when I'm offline, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I receive an email that one of my rooms was updated, sometimes I don't. I also wish there was a free video conferencing ability. We were able to use it for a couple of weeks for some reason without paying, and then it was removed. It was a great integrated video / call feature; why make me go to a separate tool that will allow me to do it for free?

I work on a fairly remote team - 3 of us are onsite and 2 are off. HipChat allows us to break all our team projects into different rooms, as well as other topics of interest, and keep our team conversation regarding each project in its specific chat room. This makes it easy to get a quick update of where a project is without having to call or email a remote team member. Also it simply reduces email clutter for us, because we'd probably be sending quite a few without it. It's also more compliant for our organization than Slack is, which is why we use it.

HipChat review by <span>Elnaz S.</span>
Elnaz S.

Great communication tools at a good price

What do you like best?

I like the user interface. It is simple, clean and very easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it does have bugs....where it randomly kicks you out of your account or cannot log back into one's account. But typically it works again after several attempts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product very easy to use. Very affordable and has some of the same features and benefits as some of the similar more expensive solutions out there. There are times where one might run into issues or when the app might require some improvements in terms of bug fixes, but they are generally good in addressing those and fixing those in a timely manner. Again, for what one would pay, this is a very good solution. I would also add that this is most likely tailored to smaller to mid-size organization. So if you work in a smaller team or smaller company, this tool would be ideal.

Communication with peers and with different departments at work.

HipChat review by <span>Junyang X.</span>
Junyang X.
G2 Gives Campaign

After cycling through 3-4 chat programs, finally settled on HipChat

What do you like best?

Hipchat is a simple, easy to ease, peer-to-peer chat program. It does log all the activities, including chats, uploads, images, screenshots. It also allows you to create as many custom rooms for discussion or problem solving, for example, we generally setup a room for each JIRA being worked on so the right people always has access to the latest information. The activity log is crucial to be able to dig through chats and information sent a month or even several months back. Don't forget about the customized emojis (shared across entire company)

What do you dislike?

Default sends email notification to user, clogs up inbox. Also, the PC/mobile synchronization can be off sometimes. Would be nice to have more default themes to match backgrounds. Search function can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free, lightweight, less cumbersome and "HIP" than slack... the irony

Reduces bulk of 1-liner emails. Issues can be discussed and resolved more quickly rather than waiting for a response on email.

Learning about HipChat?

* We monitor all HipChat reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.