Horizon 7

Horizon 7 is a virtual desktop software suite that securely delivers applications to end-users on the device of their choice, increasing user's flexibility while reducing costs, and maintaining data security.

Work for Horizon 7?
Teamviewer 2x

Learning about Horizon 7?

Horizon 7 Reviews

Showing 40 Horizon 7 reviews
Horizon 7 review by <span>Dhaval S.</span>
Dhaval S.

Portable, Secure, great choice for businesses already using VMware for server virtualization!!!!

What do you like best?

1. The convenient. I can install the clients and use it on all my devices.

2. I especially love using it on my Ipad. the fact that I do not have to take my laptop home with me everyday is great. I can work from home with my ipad as if i was in the office.

3. Provides a secure, yet rich desktop environment to work with.

4. I am able to utilize RSA hard/soft token authentication, which provides a confidence that I appreciate when working with sensitive data.

5. It's a great transition for the users from regular desktop PCs since each user is basically getting their own complete (virtual) computer system. For the same reason, the transition for the IT Desktop Support team from supporting full desktop machines to virtual machines is much easy for them to understand.

6. It is a good choice for businesses that are already using VMware for server virtualization.

7. It is very Simple, secure, and robust.

What do you dislike?

1. The requirements of the back-end systems such as storage IO and RAM requirements needed to make the system work to its full potential can be very expensive. VMware license cost are also a little high.

2. I would like the ability to extend the virtual desktop across multiple monitors on the fly. Right now I have to set that on login, and log back out to change it.

3. VMware Horizon is a great VDI solution but you must have a good backend to support it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

1. I will recommend that every company uses this product. It will bring great productivity to your working environment.

2. Take advantage of the RSA generated token for an extra layer of security.

3. Make sure to design a solid backend infrastructure. Get a SAN with a few Solid State drives that provide enough storage to run the shared images from. The more storage IOPS that your storage system can provide the smoother the user experience for the end users.

2. Take advantage of the RSA generated token for an extra layer of security.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Horizon 7
Horizon 7 review by <span>Mike G.</span>
Mike G.

Great way to run windows on my Mac!

What do you like best?

I use VMware Horizon at work to log into a Windows virtual desktop. I am running it on a Mac Pro, so as a Mac user I'm not a huge fan of Windows, but when I do have to use Windows, VMWare Horizon allows for me to have Windows running in its own window on my Mac. I am able to do all that I need through the Horizon app using a windows login. Most things are are pretty basic that I'm doing with it, so it seems to run really well. I do some screen recordings using Camtasia (another nice product) and I really haven't had any speed issues at all with the virtual desktop.

What do you dislike?

The only things that I've noticed that is a little clunky is trying to get a usb flash drive or hard drive to connect to the virtual desktop. Sometimes it works great, other days it takes a few times to finally work. Its not a big deal because I can actually map a drive from my Mac to the virtual desktop and usually transfer files that way.

Using a virtual client for my Windows needs all while using a Mac as my main computer has the cost of another laptop down for my area and makes it easy when I can use one keyboard and mouse to control two different operating systems.

What Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution do you use?

Horizon 7 review by <span>Steven C.</span>
Steven C.

Handy software for managing our VDI environments

What do you like best?

Web application allows for quick and easy connection for any device.

Logically organized interface makes it easy to manage our catalogue of pools and devices.

The knowledge management articles available when you have questions are wonderful. Tons of questions answered by the user base, and various official articles published from VMware.

What do you dislike?

Not much I don't like.

VERY small peeve, but when you change the status of a device in the catalogue list (lets say to have a device enter maintenance mode), it refreshes the list and you lose your place (if you were 350 rows down of a 500 row table for example - annoying to have to scroll down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I mentioned in one of my other reviews, but make sure you spend time with VMWare, having them consult for you and the setup that you need and want.

Also make sure you purchase enough resources to be able to scale up quickly. We found the requests that came in to use our VDI setup were fast. We had procured enough hardware to cope with the influx of requests though.

One location to manage our catalogue of various VDI devices and pools.

Horizon 7 review by User in Information Technology and Services

A lightweight virtualization tool

What do you like best?

I love the fact that Horizon allows you to connect to a virtual machine for business that allows you to share hardware, doesn't take up a lot of space on the computer and uses resources efficiently. The program is lightweight and for the most part, the connection is stable.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is there are Windows 10 apps that you can get for Horizon but they don't offer a lot of settings like multiple monitors, etc. Sometimes, the VM connection will be lost and will take a while to reconnect but that may not even be an issue with Horizon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a lightweight solution for connecting to a virtual desktop infrastructure, then Horizon is a great choice.

Virtualization with Horizon has helped us get away from using a VPN server and allows agents to login to a desktop that has all of their tools that they need without having to install everything on their own machines.

Horizon 7 review by <span>Evan S.</span>
Evan S.

Allows access to a virtual machine located on a separate server

What do you like best?

VMWare Horizon allows me to connect to a virtual machine on my company's main server. This allows our IT department to install certain programs on a single virtual machine that may be too bulky to install on many individual laptops.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to dislike. The program does what it is intended to do quite well. I have two small complaints about the program. First, there is no way (of which I am aware) to copy and paste material from the virtual machine on to the computer your using to access the virtual machine. Second, I run multiple monitors. In fullscreen mode, the virtual machine shows up only on one monitor. Windows will not extend on to other monitors as though you are using the native operating system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have programs that require a large degree of processing power that is better suited to server, or if you want access to different operating systems without having to set up a dual-boot system on your personal computer (or buy two computers!), then this program is highly recommended. I haven't experienced any troubles using it so far.

Reducing space on personal work computers by installing a single copy of large or lesser-used programs on a single virtual machine located on the company server.

Horizon 7 review by <span>Chuck M.</span>
Chuck M.

This is a excellent solution when considering Virtual Dekstops

What do you like best?

VMware Horizon gives me the freedom to work on the device I prefer as it is accessible from my zero client, tablet, smartphone and laptop. I get mobility with access to MY desktop from anywhere. As an administrator of Horizon I know I can scale up to quickly to meet seasonal or surge needs, expand to a new location, yet I’m still providing secure access for contract or temporary workers.

What do you dislike?

It’s not a dislike, but make sure to set the expectations of using a desktop with a touch device. The Horizon solution does provide tools to make the transition easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you take the time to understanding your current environment to know how this is going to be used. Define use cases during the testing phase in order to show that the solution will meet your expectations. You must use the right infrastructure in order to scale this VDI solution. Using systems not designed for VDI will work for a limited number of users, but have performance problems as you scale it out.. Make sure you are using a VDI solution for the appropriate needs.

This keeps desktops and the information they generate safe which addresses my security and compliance concerns. I can give the appropriate access level for each employee or employee groups. The data created and/or accessed by contractors and temporary workers never leaves my data center, it stays safe with the hosted desktop.

I really like that the Horizon solution allows the workforce to continue working during disruptions like illness, weather or any other situations that keep user out of the office. This solution keeps employees connected by providing access to their same desktop securely from home or other remote locations.

Learning about Horizon 7?

* We monitor all Horizon 7 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.