(112 reviews)

All-in-one Analytics and Feedback.

Work for Hotjar?

Learning about Hotjar?

Hotjar Reviews

Ask Hotjar a Question
Showing 112 Hotjar reviews
Hotjar review by Jason W.
Jason W.

"Incredible insights into the way visitors use your website."

What do you like best?

The recordings and heatmap features, they give an excellent indication of how visitors are using the website, and more importantly how things can be improved. I get regular and informative updates to keep me up to date. The Hotjar site is well laid and and it takes no time at all to get the information you need. Some companies bombard you with irrelevant emails with information that doesn't apply, Hotjar have managed to find a nice happy medium that other could learn from. I also think that the Hotjar tutorial videos are great, very easy to understand and informative.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike at all, everything is really easy to use, it's informative and very user-friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you regularly check the heatmaps and recordings to gauge improvements you may have made to your website. The recordings in particular show you exactly where you're going wrong, and in particular if you need to make things easier for the customer to navigate the site. I found that most customers don't tend to spend a lot of time reading text, so more punchy information has now been used instead.

I've learned how to improve the layout of stock and offers on the website, so that customers can easily navigate and find what they're looking for quickly. It's shown me areas that can improved and what the average customer expects when they browse items and deals on my website.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Hotjar
Hotjar review by Maria S.
Maria S.

"Useful software but you can't fully depend on it"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that it was very visual and that it gives you different options to view your visitors and how they seethe page.

It's quite detailed and I enjoy the fact that based on their input you can adapt the content on your website to make it more consumable

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that you can't know for sure if they arecapturing all the traffic on your website. Maybe it's a problem of our own website, but it seems to capture lots of "fake" users and doesn't capture real users that I know for a fact have visited the page.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend not being discouraged if it's not giving you the information you need. If it's not helping you directly with traffic, I bet at least it can help you with web and content design.

The biggest business problem it's helped us solve is the design of the website. We realised that people didn't scroll to the bottom and, they stopped reading content at certain points but they did click on links.

With information like this we have rearranged the website's design, putting the important content on the top and adding more links so they could move around.

What Session Replay solution do you use?

Hotjar review by Christian E.
Christian E.

"Great Product AND Service"

What do you like best?

I like the combination of video capture and heat maps. I also really LOVE how accessible the team has been to my needs - always quick to respond to a chat or an email. There are other tools I plan to use but have not so far. I started with the free version for a client while consulting. This proved to be a great introduction to the product. When I went in-house at Qvinci, we had higher traffic volumes across our web properties so I began using the paid version. Both are great depending on the needs of the organization.

What do you dislike?

The amount of data gets HUGE after a dozen or so heatmaps and hundreds of videos. Somehow figure out how to trend these. As a consultant, I'm a one-man shop and with Qvinci, we are also pretty thin as most marketing departments tend to operate these days.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the free version first. It's just as good for a small amount of data.

Understanding the User Experience on web properties. Interest in content based on scroll maps has been a huge benefit - no more guessing!

Hotjar review by Brandon W.
Brandon W.

"I love hotjar!"

What do you like best?

This product works and does exactly what it says it will do, a rare feature for saas companies these days. I've been using Hotjar for many years now and it seems like they keep rolling out features. As they have added additional features I've tried them all, and while I can't say I still use all of them I can say that they all do exactly what they say they are going to do, and do it well.

What do you dislike?

Hotjar has a hard time rendering my content for the heat maps. Sometimes the whole page wont show up due to a lazy load. It would be much more useful if I could see the entire webpage while viewing a heat maps and scroll maps.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are considering Hotjar I'd recommend that you just install it and give it a shot. Its so easy to instal, and a lot of value is provided even in the free version. Its definitely worth the time investment if you have access to code injections.

We use Hotjar to see how our UX is working, and for continuous CRO. We install the free version of Hotjar on all the websites we create for our clients. This gives us the ability to prove our ROI, and suggest ongoing work that will benefit our clients, and their bottom line. Internally we use hotjar in combination with Google Optimize to A/B test our landing pages.

Hotjar review by Joel K.
Joel K.

"Solid analytics for conversion copywriting "

What do you like best?

HotJar does a little bit of everything: Heatmaps, recorded user sessions, form records... it's really valuable in determining how people are behaving on site and pinpointing issues I can help my clients fix. While I've used several competitors in the space, HotJar is the tool I keep coming back to on account of their diverse offering and fair price point.

What do you dislike?

CSS configuration can get mucky, and the inability to easily leave notes on videos on lower plan levels is really frustrating. In general, recorded session tagging and commenting could be easier and more robust.

Recommendations to others considering the product

HotJar is a fantastic tool with a diverse range of ways it can help you diagnose onsite issues and identify conversion gaps. While there are other competitors who are slightly cheaper, or who can go deeper on video analytics, HotJar is the perfect solution for the SMB, or even the enterprise team who doesn't want to fork over tens of thousands for a heavier solution.

I use HotJar to help my clients diagnose issues on their website that are hindering conversions. I use it during audits to identify common user behaviors and issues in things like landing pages, onboarding flows, sign up and more.

Hotjar review by Thomas H.
Thomas H.

"Test Faster"

What do you like best?

The ease of use. Heatmaps and Recordings can be set up in seconds, and then shared with the team using a link. With Hot Jar we can see where people are looking and engaging on our website, helping us get closer to our customers.

What do you dislike?

All of there Feedback tools are not as customizable as I would like. I'm hoping that they improve or open them up over time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You can sign up for a free trial and use Google Tag Manager to install the code on your site to test it out without involving engineering if you need proof of concept.

When running experiments in Optimizely we could see how a variation was performing based on click tracking and other metrics, but we had limited insight into how or why people were engaging with one variation over another. Now, we get a fuller picture of our customers and their motivations for engaging with our site. Helping us to fine tune our experiments and speeding up the review process so we can get more experiments out.

Hotjar review by Esther W.
Esther W.

"Great tool to help understand user behaviour"

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface and very affordable for the features you get. Visitor recordings and heatmaps are great tools to monitor user behaviour and interactions. The feedback and data gathered can provide great insights that will help you optimise your website.

What do you dislike?

Would like to be able to better customise survey targeting.

Hotjar only records a sample of users and therefore doesn’t capture all the data we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try – it’s a very useful tool and you can try the free version first to check it works for you.

Hotjar provides valuable insight into user behaviour. It allows us to identify issues and anywhere that users have trouble on our clients websites. We use the data to help fix bugs, optimise design and improve user experience.

Hotjar review by Omkar R.
Omkar R.

"One of the easiest app monitoring tool "

What do you like best?

Hotjar is one of the easiest app monitoring tool. It has everything - video recording, in-depth data about users, create polls and events. The pricing is also very competitive than other competitors. We love it.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as such. Would like to see chat functionality. So that we can also talk to live visitors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it's definitely worth a try. And it's definitely going to captivate with its rich features and the ease of use. Go for it.

Oh lots of it;

1. We are able to get an real-time view of what's working for users and what they dislike.

2. We get recording of app sessions to understand how are users reacting to the product.

3. We can create polls and events to gather customer, visitor or user views.

4. User Analysis has become easier.

Hotjar review by Ana-Marija Z.
Ana-Marija Z.

"Hotjar review"

What do you like best?

Hotjar is easy to use and the metrics are easy to understand. Also, the data it provides is useful if you know what you are looking for.

What do you dislike?

I didn't find anything, in particular, to dislike yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is really useful to make decisions about your web design and marketing efforts regarding the website if you receive a lot of website visits. Many functionalities make sense in that case. If you don't have a lot of visits the conclusions you get from Hotjar data might not be unbiased.

I wanted to know what are people looking at on the website of my company before I make some choices with a redesign, existing pages, and the CTA positions. It really helped with identifying people's points of interest. Also, I tried the poll option and received some useful feedback.

Hotjar review by Matthew T.
Matthew T.

"A must need for on page analytics"

What do you like best?

Hotjar has completely revolutionized our website analytics reports. It bring to life the data so we can visualize the experience they are having with out website. Since implementation, it has directly impacted our decision making.

What do you dislike?

The customization of the user engagement tools (polls, surveys) have very little flexibility regarding the look. The plain color selection makes it difficult to optimize to increase user engagement.

Understanding how users engage with our website is important, and other tools like Google Analytics only helped so much. We were skeptical to use Hotjar, but it has become one of our top recommended tools to websites we worth with. It is something you can activate to gather data for a period of time, and then deactivate when you get what you need.

Hotjar review by Steve F.
Steve F.

"Understand a LOT more than just history! "

What do you like best?

I love that I can see actual behavior of a web visitor -- their click through action, scroll patters, page-by-page content consumption, etc. So much richer than normal analytics, HotJar actually shows you precisely how your site is used!

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I want faster results from the recordings.... and sometimes it's difficult to track visitors on third-party sites where you cannot install the proper code.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the trial product! You'll soon understand the tremendous value of Hotjar and see what you've been missing!

History is great, but real behavior is always better. Hotjar gives me insights as to what truly happens on a page and not just 'when' or 'how' a page is consumed.

Hotjar review by Greg D.
Greg D.

"Great click mapping and consumer response tool"

What do you like best?

Hotjar is very easy to use, we had it up and running on our site in one day. The click mapping and session recording has been incredibly valuable for us to resolve technical issues and improve conversion. We didn't even know about the survey functionality when we started using it, and now we use it constantly for customer feedback.

What do you dislike?

The survey questions are a little limited, only 5 styles of questions available, and don't allow for much customization for conditional responses. e.g. Only show question 6 if the customer answered "No" to question 5

Understanding what our customers are doing on our websites, huge wins in resolving technical issues and improving our funnel

Hotjar review by Devon M.
Devon M.

"Great Tool for Evaluating What's Working on Your Website "

What do you like best?

HotJar is affordable (at least for business with relatively low traffic), easy to use and setup, and offers high quality functionality. When we redesigned our site, it allowed us to see where users were having trouble and what content interested them most, so we could give those items prime real estate.

What do you dislike?

HotJar recently began suppressing all data entered into form fields from its video recordings, which has taken away from the conclusions we are able to draw from the videos. For example, we can no longer tell whether users misunderstand what a form question is asking because we can't see what they're typing into the field. We have tried whitelisting the fields, but has not worked for us.

We use HotJar to ensure users are finding what they need on our site and finding it quickly. When we redesigned our site, we were able to identify features that we needed to change due to user confusion. We can also see what users search for on our site from the search page -- If we identify reoccurring content searches that aren't available, we can add it to the site.

Hotjar review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Hotjar is a top notch heat mapping and cursor tracking tool"

What do you like best?

Hotjar has massively helped our team improve our platform and landing pages by understanding how individuals are using and interacting with our online environments. The easy to use user interface makes connecting pages a breeze, and the overall user experience when playing with reporting is top-notch. While the product is pricier than some, the in-suite features and functions are definitely worth the added cost.

What do you dislike?

My biggest gripe with Hotjar is the monthly cost. If you can justify the increase in cost for the benefits gained through optimizing your online environments then it's a no-brainer. The other factor here is that if you aren't technically savvy, and don't have a basic understanding of web development, you'll probably require some additional assistance through support getting the tracking codes set up correctly on your website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hotjar is a premium heat mapping and cursor tracking tool. If you can justify the cost and have the technical ability to set it up, it will likely be a winning proposition for your team.

Hotjar helps our team improve the user interface and user experience of our owned online environments which includes our tech platform and marketing landing pages.

Hotjar review by Lee P.
Lee P.

"A must-have all-in-one tool but needs some tweaks"

What do you like best?

Overall there are a lot of different tools to generate excellent insights for a website

Session recordings & integration with Convert.com - very useful for A/B testing

Heatmaps

Form tracking - although very basic

The price

What do you dislike?

Form tracking doesn't work on a lot of checkouts, unlikemore specialist tools like Formissimo

Integrating session recordings with GA

Needs more advanced targeting for surveys & polls e.g. show after 5 minutes on the site / after x amount of pages

Surveys could be made to be more editable & some analytics on impressions vs form completions would be beneficial

HotJar gives us extra visibility into user behaviour on the site, it helps to answer the 'why'

Hotjar review by Jennifer G.
Jennifer G.

"Not as useful as I thought it would be"

What do you like best?

I like it best for its heatmaps and its polls. I use the polls often on new sites and new pages.

What do you dislike?

I don't find it as intuitive as other applications. I also find the data obtained can be hard to understand.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It could be a user issue, but I struggle when trying to find data or ensure I've got pages set up properly. I've attended a few help sessions and webinars.

We like to test out new landing pages to see if and where we're losing people. We use this in conjunction with Google Analytics.

Hotjar review by Amelie C.
Amelie C.

"Instant UX CX Power Toolset "

What do you like best?

With just a snippet of HptJar code an entire tool set of UX and conversion optimization tools are enabled.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to download all the recording data into a spreadsheet to get a better sense of how users behaved by various segments (PPC, social campaigns).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out - it's very easy to implement

HotJar allowed our team to quickly optimize and improve our offering. It was also invaluable for QA, not only to identify issues but to capture images and video of the issues resulting in quicker resolutions.

Hotjar review by Brandon Z.
Brandon Z.

"Amazingly insightful"

What do you like best?

Hotjar provides amazing insight into how your visitors are using your website. There are companies providing the same type of website "recording", but Hotjar has taken their offering a step further by seamlessly adding surveys, funnel tracking, forms, etc.

Hotjar is simple to use and has a robust offering, and they're continuing to improve and add new features!

What do you dislike?

The only negative thing I can think of is that they push their referral program a bit. There's an amazing prize for each month's top referrer... but honestly, you have to refer a LOT of people to hit the top. It's simply not practical.

Right now I see they're offering a t-shirt for just referring 5 people. That's an attainable goal, but that's also the first goal like that I've seen. Still, good for them for making a referral reward most people could actually get.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get the code installed on your site and start playing around with everything Hotjar is offering. You'll probably be surprised by how easy it is to get things rolling. I've certainly been impressed.

Don't forgot: Once the code is on your site, you still have to initiate the recording. It won't automatically start recording visitors.

I use website analytics to understand my users. Part of this is identifying pain points and then improving the UI. Google and Heap Analytics are great, but they're still very limited. When I want to validate a theory, I turn to Hotjar to see exactly what my users are doing.

Hotjar eliminates the guessing game.

Hotjar review by Juuso L.
Juuso L.

"Great tool to gain insights about customer behaviour"

What do you like best?

Hotjar has increased my understanding about user behavior and given me valuable insights on how to make our site better. The best thing with Hotjar is that it is super easy to use and you can get started with it in minutes. Seeing actual recordings of user sessions and easily being able to identify problem areas are in my opinion the biggest pros of Hotjar.

What do you dislike?

There's actually nothing I dislike with Hotjar. One thing that would make Hotjar even better would be having the possibility to make multiple route alternatives in their funnel feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Having a website and not using Hotjar indicates that you don't care about your users. A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups". So no matter the size or industry of your company, stop making assumptions based on gut feeling and start gathering data of your users with Hotjar.

I've gained a lot of valuable insights about how our users are perceiving and using our site. This has allowed me to quickly identify flaws in our web design and work iteratively on a much faster pace than before we started using Hotjar.

Hotjar review by Rob C.
Rob C.

"Unique Website and Blog Insights"

What do you like best?

You can easily get the reader's or visitor's perspective as they view your site. With Hotjar, you are put in the shoes of your visitors and you can easily see how they behave and interact with your content. There are also other interesting functionalities such as Funnels which allow you to see which stage in the conversion funnel are your visitors lost. Now, you can also analyze forms to see which parts of the form do they give up.

What do you dislike?

There are some interruptions in recording or tracking sometimes and installing codes is sometimes not as straightforward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're taking a basic version, you should think about which pages will be vital to you as there are limitations on the number of pages you can track and record. As I've said previously, recordings are pretty interesting with regards to the insights even just one recording of a page can provide. There are some words and pictures that visitors would want to click to know more, but aren't linked meaning you've lost an opportunity for clicks and conversions there.

We needed a way to see how our visitors interact with our website. While we do have analytics tools, Hotjar gave us fresh insights into how our visitors act. Just viewing recordings of a visitor go through a page can give you an idea of what they want to click allowing you to increase clicks and conversion rates .

Hotjar review by Stephanie C.
Stephanie C.

"Robust, Simple, and Easily Integrates with HubSpot!"

What do you like best?

HubSpot integration is one of the top things I look for when looking for a software/solution. I love being able to see survey responses right in the contact timeline!

What do you dislike?

I wish you could create heatmaps and polls directly in HubSpot but that's not a dislike just a wishlist item.. I guess I dislike

Recommendations to others considering the product

For anyone who has a laundry list of "best practices" they want to implement - this is a great way to prioritize and make data-driven choices about what to do. Also, I went into this just looking for some simple heatmaps but ended up implementing more of the available tools once I got in there and played around. I added recordings, polls, and more and kept getting even more valuable information than I expected! I would however say start out with the free version and move on from there - you don't need to jump right into the paid version!

We've been able to free up a lot of time for our CS team by optimizing our FAQ page and the questions we answer on pages by seeing which ones people were most interested in. We also use on page polls to capture new FAQs and see if people are finding the answers they're looking for.

We've also optimized our recruitment/jobs page by adding things like filter options and finding out that people are primarily interested in certain filters, like location. We added more specific location information and made it more obvious which improved conversions.

Hotjar review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Provides useful insights on website usage and engagement"

What do you like best?

Great heatmapping, website usage recording, funnels to track conversions, and forms.

What do you dislike?

Documentation is not the easiest to use, and there is no clear line of customer support for assistance.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework and compare with other products to make sure that Hotjar is the best fit for your needs. When doing my research, many sources mentioned Crazy Egg as one of Hotjar's biggest competitors. It is a very similar product, but the price point and functionality of Hotjar was best suited for us.

By using Hotjar, we are now able to track which links are getting the most clicks and see how visitors are browsing and interacting with our site. These insights help us to improve the usability and relevance of our site to our target audience.

Hotjar review by Christine A.
Christine A.

"Hotjar is a nessesity when it comes to understanding your users behavior"

What do you like best?

-Recording data tracking thought the heat maps and movement maps allows us to better understand whether or not our hypothesis are proven true. The fact that they also allow you to break it down into individual devices helps in making the comparison across devices so much easier - a tool other software will lack.

-User sessions allow us to better understand on a individual level what visitors are doing on each page. Targeting specific events that occurred is also possible with the API so you can understand how many users are following these events and whether or not they are behaving as you want.

-Support is fantastic. Every time I've had any questions concerning customization of other events, their response has always been quick and filled with a robust answer. Never has someone responded back seeming to lack knowledge of the software (which will sometimes happen when contacting other software support).

What do you dislike?

- It would be really interesting to see Hotjar interact with other analytic software so they have the ability to gather further data the software currently lacks. For example, having Hotjar integrate with HubSpot so pages you're editing have the heat maps generated within the page performance.

- It would be nice if there was an easy way to see heat maps or mouse movement behaviors of popups. As the only real way you can view dynamic events like this is through the session feedback.

-Would really love to see Hotjar incorporate A/B testing and some analytics along with it, I think that would really help give people the ability to get a more robust understanding of what works best on their websites for users in combination with the tools Hotjar already has.

Hotjar plays an important role within our organization to strategically understand users' patterns on our website (through heat maps and scroll maps), individual user experiences (through the video playback tool), and insight into unknown errors anywhere on the site. We are planning on making a push to use surveys to gather more qualitative data from our users in the hopes of making further improvements to the site overall as well as content we put out.

Hotjar review by Federico P.
Federico P.

"Hotjar, and ideal tool to understand your customers"

What do you like best?

Hotjar is capable of collecting incredible information.

You can view how your users interact with your website, app and from which device. In this way you are able to identify their pain points with your product, and help your customer support a lot.

You can run interviews through polls or surveys and monitoring the funnels you like and the problem with forms.

What do you dislike?

There are some problems when you try to record events and tracing forms funnels going through public to post login/registration area.

You can't record your forms if they are behind a login.

I was able to clearly identify how people interact with the apps and see where they stuck in the funnel.

I was also able to follow step by step each of them and see the checkout problems they encounter.

This help us improve the conversions and retentions without the needs to costly user research labs.

Hotjar review by John M.
John M.

"Powerful Insights"

What do you like best?

Hotjar entails four main abilities to get amazing insights on how visitors are using your site. Click heat maps show where people are clicking, so you know where to put your links and which calls to action (CTAs) are performing (or not). Scroll maps show you how far down a page users are getting, so you know if you need to move that CTA or special offer higher on the page to get more views. User recordings show you anonymous recordings of user visits so you can see how real people interact with your site, flow through pages, and whether or not they're getting where you want them to go or filling out that contact form. Lastly, you can set up user polls that give you direct insight into not only the how and where, but also the why people are using your site the way they are, finding/not finding what they need, etc.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if Hotjar could crawl your site and automatically populate your heat maps using page titles and URLs. As it stands, you have to set each heat map individually for each page by manually entering the URL and title. It's not too bad for smaller sites, but is tedious and somewhat frustrating on larger sites where you might have hundreds of pages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely set up the free trial on high traffic pages. You'll want to collect as much user data, as quickly as possible to get the best insights. You'll be amazed at the difference between how you envisioned your site working and how people go about using it.

This is the best way to solve website usability issues. We've been able to reposition links and offers to increase performance and click throughs, determined what pages might be missing or too hard to find, and make intelligent, data-backed decisions when it comes to designing websites and implementing features. It's saved us and our clients time and money, and increased site performance and conversions.

Hotjar review by Duc N.
Duc N.

"Great heatmapping tool that also provides additional insights"

What do you like best?

Hotjar is very simple to use. Once the script is placed on the site, setting up a heatmap recording is easy. Hotjar also records user sessions so you can watch a recording based on different filters (Visited Page, Landing Page, Exit Page, # of pages viewed, visit duration, and several more)

What do you dislike?

For heatmap recordings, it would be nice to set one up that only records mobile, desktop, or tablet. The ability to record a specific device would help a lot even though you can toggle between these devices in the reporting dashboard.

We use Hotjar to help us determine areas on our site that need higher engagements. It lets us know which parts of our pages need optimization based on engagement levels. We look at snapshots before and after a test to figure out if we're moving in the right direction.

There have been several times where we were surprised that users were more engaged with certain area of the page that we didn't think would convert well. We used the heatmaps to optimize these areas further.

Hotjar review by Chris L.
Chris L.

"An absolute must have "

What do you like best?

This is an absolutely amazing tool to help you gain all sorts of insights about your users. It integrates easily with Google tag manager as well, and the two can be paired together to help you find the answers to pretty much any question you mat have about how people use your site and what they are thinking at any given time. The free version of the account is robust enough to get you started with polls, surveys, heatmaps, and recordings, and it is fairly cheap as you scale up. In addition, you can ask a question directly to their support staff at any time, and they respond fairly quickly. They also send out regular but not annoying emails to help you get familiar with what you can do with the product.

What do you dislike?

I'd love to see more tutorials/case studies on how and when to pair hotjar with other tools such as tag manager. There are so many potential ways to use it that I think there could be a lot of material.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out, it's free. Even if you don't buy a subscription, the service is still really useful.

This is a really great tool for answering questions about how people are using your site. You can see exactly where they abandon forms, see how far down your home page they scroll and what they click on, and ask them what they are thinking when they are performing a certain action.

Hotjar review by Deb C.
Deb C.

"Good features for a fair price, but recordings need improvement"

What do you like best?

Easy to set up, easy to use. We use recordings, heatmaps and some polls. We do not use all of the features it offers. Hotjar is a lot less expensive than other similar tools we've explored. The ability to search the recordings and find ones that fit certain criteria (like operating system, device, etc.) is very handy.

What do you dislike?

The recordings for single page applications are terrible. We also have seen pretty bad recordings on mobile. It can be very hard to tell what the person was actually clicking and doing on them unless you look at the step by step tracking info on the right hand side of the recording. Still - they are useful and better than not having any recordings!

I also wish Hotjar would give us the IP address of the user. It can be very hard (or impossible) to find a specific recording if you have a complaint from a customer and want to try to see how their site visit flowed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a trial account or sign up for one month to see if the recordings feature will be adequate for your needs.

Trying to better understand the site visitor experience, beyond what we can see with Google Analytics.

Hotjar review by Joshua L.
Joshua L.

"Everything a small-to-midsize business would need for user tracking"

What do you like best?

The visitor recording feature works great and reviewing the sessions is great with the speed and gap control tools. Leaving notes in each session is handy, too, when sharing with team members.

What do you dislike?

That the session recordings don't automatically continue once the quote for the tracking is met. This requires us to have to login regularly to make sure it's recording since only one notification email is sent when the quota is met.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Set it up immediately and start recording visitor data. You never know how you might use it in the future, but without it tracking and recording, you'll never be able to use the data.

It helps us see where visitors get stuck or what they focus on regarding conversion elements on a page.

Hotjar review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Sexy reports, but in most cases - not revealing big insights"

What do you like best?

Heatmaps are nice looking, great for communicating visual click behavior issues, and Hotjar's UI is very intuitive and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

In reality, heat map reports are rarely useful. They usually tell a story you already know. If the correlation between eye-gaze and cursor movements were academically established, heat map reports would have been a great tool for discovering online behavioral opportunities and gaps. But in reality, the correlation is weak, which makes solutions like Hotjar questionable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many heatmap solutions out there. Hotjar is surely one of the leaders, but I encourage you to think about whether you actually need this type of solution for your business. I mean, how valuable is it for you, really?

Great for doing simple click analysis on web pages.

Hotjar review by Executive Sponsor in Internet
Executive Sponsor in Internet

"Insights on your product usage"

What do you like best?

The session recording ability and the different playback features.

Session recording is a great way to watch users interact with your product or site. The playback features that HotJar offers lets you see where interactions are made with your product. The features to skip or speed-up the viewing are also very nice.

What do you dislike?

When working with pages that have embedded tabs, the heatmap functionality is not usable. Depending on your layout, you can loose valuable insight here.

The funnel feature is very lightweight.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look to capitalize on tag managements systems like Google Tag Manager to easily get HotJar working on your site or product.

Trying to get insight into usage of our written reports. By viewing the videos we have been able to watch users interacting with the content and seeing exit points that have allowed us to rework our reports.

Hotjar review by Jussi P.
Jussi P.

"Free-to-cheap solution for visitor behaviour analytics"

What do you like best?

Free/very inexpensive solution to see what visitors are doing on your website. You have full visibility on where they click, how far down they scroll, where they move their mouse, and you can also record visits. A very simple tool with potentially huge benefits if you use it correctly to optimize your site, CTA locations, etc.

What do you dislike?

I've had issues with a site that had some animations and moving boxes with clickable links, because Hotjar wasn't able to track everything correctly. I know there is now a solution for that, but I'm not technically proficient enough to implement it (not do I have the need anymore, but just know that you might run into issues with some types of designs).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just use it. With the free version there's no reason not to take advantage of a great product that offers valuable insights for improving conversion and finding problem areas on your site.

Optimizing CTA locations and seeing "dead zones" on websites.

Hotjar review by Polly H.
Polly H.

"Exciting suite of features for beginners"

What do you like best?

Hotjar has many different features within one suite which is great. There's nothing worse than trying to triangulate data from ten different tracking sources. Integration is really easy and funnels are easy to set up.

This is a great tool for anyone new to analytics looking for high level insights. They have a great support team to help with set up and questions.

What do you dislike?

Though it has many different abilities, Hotjar is still young and lacking some basic elements of a good analytics SaaS platform. Up until recently, they were only capturing about 30% of our data which was a huge problem for any of our sites with lower traffic (almost making the tool pointless).

Hotjar also lacks integrations. (Lacking an Optimizely integration has been my biggest frustration, I currently have to watch every playback and manually label which experiment and variation a user sees which can take hours.) After using this for a while the novelty has worn off and issues persist, we're planning a transition over to Mouseflow since they have an easy integration with Optimizely, heatmaps are set up automatically, user recordings are tagged by source, and it will store more data.

We're looking to identify issues on our websites as well as identify trends in our user behavior to plan out new site developments.

Hotjar review by User in Computer Software

"Great insights to web traffic"

What do you like best?

The live recordings, funnels and heat maps are awesome for monitoring web traffic and user experience. It gives you a lot of insights to be able to make more informed decisions when designing websites.

What do you dislike?

While I love the funnels, it can sometimes be hard to find areas to apply them. I see people bouncing around websites more often than going down a specific path. It would be great to have something that shows the most common paths.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They do have a free trial version, which really helped us get a feel for the product.

Insights into what our web visitors are doing when they come to our site and how they are behaving. This allows us to more effectively design our site for the best experience.

Hotjar review by Olga A.
Olga A.

"Awesome tools for website analytics"

What do you like best?

For me, Hotjar is a great additional tool to Google Analytics. Most of all I like its Heatmaps - it's the main reason I started using Hotjar in the first place. It's been giving us valuable insights into what pages people most click on. This actually helped us "save" a page that was thought to be redundant:) It also helps us build pages more effectively based on scroll range: We check how far people scroll down the page and based on that, we've moved elements around so that most people get to see them.

What do you dislike?

After over a year of using it, first the free version than upgrading to a paid one, I tend to believe that Hotjar fails to capture all visits. Also, one major disadvantage we've found out recently - it doesn't support vh unit in CSS. After we changed to that one, Hotjar's Heatmaps cannot deliver us the relevant insights anymore. We still haven't figured out the solution, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In addition to Heatmaps, Funnal and Recordings, I also used Hotjar for surveys on our page and am still using it for a poll. Although I believe that the poll form can be elaborated a bit more, it delivers us really valuable insights as regards how people find out about us. It in fact help us understand earlier than via GA that our content, when shared through other sources, is indeed one of the major drivers, even though we haven't got much engagement with on the website.

Checking how our pages perform, observing visitors behaviour, mainly. Hotjar is very visual, so it is much easier to use than Google Analytics.

Hotjar review by Administrator

"Valuable, well functioning tool set"

What do you like best?

Aside from the great toolset and the valuable insights I can derive through its use, its ease of deployment and high rate of function stand out when compared to other data collection tools, particularly when your backend deployment has some complexity to it

What do you dislike?

I would like to have more control over the length of time for which data collection spans.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The cost is relatively low for the quality of product you are getting

I use this as one of the primary data collection tools for our conversion optimization program. The biggest benefits thus far have come from user recordings. Connected to this, it is very easy to segment groups of videos based on certain criteria (step in funnel reached, device, etc)

Hotjar review by Pat C.
Pat C.

"Hotjar"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. Gives you information on how users experience your website without having to work hard to find it.

What do you dislike?

There isn't anything that I particularly dislike about Hotjar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can't go wrong for the price. The free version provides lots of features at this level. Insights from users give the kind of guidance that can't easily be gotten any other way.

After reviewing heat map, I realized that users clicked on buttons that were not live links. If I made them live links there was an opportunity to further engage the user.

Hotjar review by Katharine P.
Katharine P.

"Visual Designer"

What do you like best?

I love the easy to use interface & design. The information it collects for us is great for our UX audits we do for clients. It is an amazing tool.

What do you dislike?

I wish that they recordings and heatmaps were higher amounts. We have clients who fill theirs up so quickly that it is almost impossible to stay on top of them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have enough members to help facilitate the needs of your clients.

We are solving UX problems for our clients and helping them to achieve easier to use and more successful website solutions. This includes design, UX and programmed sites. It allows us to help our clients see what isn't working on their site and how we can help them.

Hotjar review by Blazej S.
Blazej S.

"Couldn't handle online marketing without HotJar"

What do you like best?

HotJar is our way of interpreting analytical data. Whenever we don't know what certain peaks or drops mean, we run HotJar user recordings, read polls and usually find bottlenecks or surprising behaviour patterns that cause this data to appear.

I couldn't live without user recordings filtered by UTM parameters (which means by specific ads). I can see what a user, who clicked on a specific ad, does on our site and in our app. This is invaluable.

What do you dislike?

Hard to tell. HotJar has more features than I really need. For instance they have a cool polling/case study type of tool which I never found time to use. This will change in the near future hopefully.

In general everything's cool with HotJar. Wish I could tie unique user recordings to intercom.io data though. That would be awesome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to see what people do on your site - go for it. It's irresponsible not to use HotJar especially in its early stage now when they still don't charge as much as they should be :)

Usability testing, conversion rate optimization and spying on users to learn what they want and what they understand. Our own app is complicated and we're still not sure about how to name it or what the value proposition is for that matter. HotJar helps us find what users make of it.

Hotjar review by Kristen B.
Kristen B.

"Very helpful to see what customers are looking at"

What do you like best?

I love being able to see what my customers are looking at on our website. The recordings have helped us know where our customers are having a difficult time and allows us to adjust those areas for a smoother user experience. I also love the free features!

What do you dislike?

If you use the paid version, it can get quite expensive.

Our new webstore is not producing the way we think it should. Hotjar is giving us the ability to see why.

Hotjar review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Best tool for user insights and tracking data"

What do you like best?

Ease of implementation is best for folks who do not have a developer on hand. Additionally, it takes little time to setup recordings, heatmaps, and any other features within the tool.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see improvements when it comes to analyzing recordings. It's a bit cumbersome at the moment. The filtering is good, but can be tweaked from a UI standpoint -- it's functional, though

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend more time in the tool, understand how it can improve your understanding of your users and overall marketing strategy. Use it more often.

Identifying where landing pages are causing friction for users; improving user experience site wide; polling and survey users for better understanding of their wants and needs.

Hotjar review by Quentin A.
Quentin A.

"The Complete Solution"

What do you like best?

First and foremost it's allowed me to save money by cutting my subscriptions down. By providing heatmaps, visitor recordings, survey widgets, it gives me in one platform what I was getting from 3 previously.

Not to mention it is so easy to use. An absolute delight!

What do you dislike?

Having to pay at all? Seriously, there is nothing I dislike from Hotjar.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Stop considering and sign up. Start a trial if you like. Once you get in there, make sure you use it to its fullest....Start recording heatmaps and recordings. Create conversion funnels so you can start measuring them. Go nuts!

It is providing us with a complete website analytics and user feedback platform. We can implement HotJar onto a site in minutes and start recording heatmaps and visitor recordings to get a better indication of how users are navigating a website so we can aim to improve user experience.

Hotjar review by João A.
João A.

"Hotjar is a very good product for a very low price"

What do you like best?

The price is one of the best in the market, probably no one can give so many features in one product only. Session recording feature works very well and with the cost of the platform is the best to see the performance and behavior of the clients in the website.

What do you dislike?

We dislike the support and the heatmaps features, is a weak feature working with screen shots of the pages we select. The support, because we have a very cheap account, is not the best, but works.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hotjar have a very good price money feature software, especially the session recording feature is very helpful.

We solving problems in the funnels and understanding some behaviors of the clients with the sessions recording features.

Hotjar review by Allen B.
Allen B.

"Now we know what our visitors *actually* do on our sites!"

What do you like best?

Hotjar is fantastic. Their heat maps are great, but the user records are the meat and potatoes of this thing, in my opinion. Within the first day of implementing Hotjar on our main website we were able to identify and fix several UX problems. Now we make sure to watch them weekly, spotting how our landing pages are performing and what we need to tweak. It's become an invaluable tool!

What do you dislike?

At the moment Hotjar doesn't integrate with Optimizely, which we use for A/B testing. However, it seems that it's on their roadmap to release in the near future so we're excited about that! Also, at the moment you can see a basic summary of what a visitor is using (OS, Device, Browser) but you can't see the details (OS/Browser version number, etc) until opening up the individual recording. Minor nitpick, but would be nice to see that in the summary list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't forget you can also now tracking subdomains and cross-domain! This has helped us to see the user's complete flow through our website, including when they visit our knowledgebase or the account dashboard.

We've been able to optimize our conversion funnel more efficiently and effectively now that we can actually see the actions our users are taking. Combining this with the heatmaps and our Google Analytics stats we've been able to really beef up our conversion tracking and analysis. Seriously, I can't recommend this tool enough!

Hotjar review by Edyta B.
Edyta B.

"Great tool to gain insight into your customer's behaviour"

What do you like best?

Hotjar is easy to implement (directly or via GTM), set up and use. Definite pros: heatmap, visual presentation of data, and recording function. It's a very versatile tool that have use for multiple departments withing the company.

What do you dislike?

No support for native apps. No other drawbacks really.

Hotjar proven to be invaluable tool not just for customer behavior insight, but running pools and getting invaluable info directly from user

Hotjar review by Administrator in Retail
Administrator in Retail

"Track User Visits & Replay Visually"

What do you like best?

The best part of Hotjar is that it isn't only a tool that captures and allows you to replay your customer's visit, but it also offers you with Polls and Surveys which really adds additional value that you can incorporate on your site.

What do you dislike?

I strongly dislike that you have to constantly login and refresh the visitor recordings otherwise you will stop recording at whatever recording package you chose. If you chose 2K recordings then you will have to refresh it manually every 2k session visits to your website for example.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Automate the recordings so I don't have to login every single day to refresh the recordings. Requiring the user to do this isa big setback in the solution overall unless you pay a lot more for the next plan.

Hotjar has solved the issue of analyzing the customer's journey and interactions with our website's UI. Identifying why customers are leaving at certain junctions of the website was invaluable to prevent cart abandonment and decreasing bounce rates.

Hotjar review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Amazing insights for a low price. "

What do you like best?

My previous organization used Hotjar for multiple insights on websites across multiple brands. One of the things that is a huge draw for this tool is the ability to do user recordings and file them- makes for great insights on what people are doing on your website throughout their session and why they really left! For example, we were able to see that someone was searching for a product in a specific way so that they gave up and left the site when they couldn't find it.

What do you dislike?

To be completely honest, I had no dislikes.

We've realized how the customer thinks when they are on the site and we have more customer insights as to what they are searching for. I also can't say enough great things about the heat mapping feature and how much more it provides compared to other tools.

The pricing on this is great too. Great on the client site or on the agency side for implementation.

Hotjar review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Track every detail of UX"

What do you like best?

I love that you can see a video recording of people's mouse movements on your website. Since the eyes follow the mouse you can ascertain how the UX is on your page -- what people are seeing and what they're missing.

What do you dislike?

The platform is a little confusing and it's sometimes hard to understand what recording I'm reviewing. I would like things to be laid out in a clearer and more organized manner. Things seem a little jumbled.

I'm solving the potential for bad UX on my site. I've realized I can control what people see, and how they see my site overall -- including how they interact with the features.

Hotjar review by Steve A.
Steve A.

"Hotjar gives us amazing insights on how users actually use our site"

What do you like best?

Gathering data from the user recordings is incredible. We can very quickly see any place users get sticky, when do they go to the FAQs, and what info are they looking for. This is so valuable as it lets us provide info to users at the exact places they are looking for it.

What do you dislike?

If there was a tool to run some pre analysis on the recordings to help point us to sticking points it would help make using the tool more efficient.

We are improving our sales funnel with Hot jar. We get rid of distractions and are able to provide customers with the info they need, when they need it. Hot jar helps us sell more.

Hotjar review by Toby M.
Toby M.

"Hotjar is simple to use; provides insights"

What do you like best?

Hotjar is really easy to set up and start tracking your web activities like heat map, click map, visitor recording...plus the survey tool is helpful.

What do you dislike?

no complaints so far... wish the survey tool can be more customizable

Recommendations to others considering the product

you can always start with the free version to try it out and see if it fits your business and marketing needs.

Get more insights of how visitors are doing on our website.

Learn more about Hotjar

Hotjar Videos

Learning about Hotjar?

* We monitor all Hotjar reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
(112 reviews)