Hover

Get the most out of your domain name with Hover.

Work for Hover?
Lunarpages review  2x

Learning about Hover?

Hover Reviews

Ask Hover a Question
Showing 16 Hover reviews
Hover review by <span>Ian C.</span>
Ian C.

Easily the best customer service of any domain registrar

What do you like best?

The absolute best feature of Hover is that when you call, you immediately get connected with customer service. There is no talking to a machine that tries to understand speech, no pressing numbers to get connected to the correct department - instant human. Additionally, free domain privacy for any domains that support it, major benefit.

What do you dislike?

For as smooth as the admin interface is, it could be a little better. They don't always support all the new TLDs that come out - but they do their best to add the new ones as quickly as they can. Sometimes they have to manually add a domain to your account because the system doesn't support the TLD. But that's very infrequent.

I've made a few apps using domains provided by Hover, and when I buy a domain through Hover I can immediately start to use it for the app(s). I don't have to wait for process, I can just keep moving forward. Also, with the free domain privacy, I don't get spam calls from people claiming to be able to improve my "website SEO". So wonderful.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Hover
Hover review by <span>Kyle M.</span>
Kyle M.

Hover is a fantastic and easy Domain Registrar

What do you like best?

About 2 years ago we moved our domain's, both my personal and business, over to Hover. Hover makes it super easy to purchase new domains and easily configure the most used DNS settings. Domain/WHOIS privacy is extremely easy to set up, as well as transfer locks and auto renewal. Hover makes it really easy to setup subdomains. Though I haven't used the features, the Connect feature, which lets you attach your domain to popular services seems nice. The email features can also be added for an extra fee. I totally recommend the Domain Valet service. We switched 7-10 domains over all at once through this service. The customer service rep, Anet, was SUPER helpful. Anet moved all our domains from the previous provider with ease. Anet even sent me a postcard after our move to wish me Happy Holidays! Talk about customer appreciation!

What do you dislike?

While Hover does support all of the most used DNS record types, they still do not support some of the less used ones. I would also like support for Dynamic DNS, (Changing the A record for a domain automatically) This has been talked about for a while on their message boards, but there has been no movement to implement this feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the Domain Valet service!

Hover definitely makes DNS management easier. We were previously hosting our DNS and domains with our Server host, but they made it super difficult to edit DNS, so we switch and loved Hover.

What Domain Registration solution do you use?

Hover review by <span>Chris P.</span>
Chris P.

Simple Interface, Limited Up-sell Noise

What do you like best?

Very simple domain registrar and DNS host. Their prices are reasonable, and they don't try to throw hundreds of up-sells at you as other registrars often do.

What do you dislike?

The prices tend to be just slightly on the higher side, though they are still within a reasonable range.

The DNS user interface could use some work. The last time I had to use it, there were a few quirks. I've since switched to CloudFlare as my DNS host (my domains are still registered and renewed with Hover) so the interface may have improved since.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do make sure that they offer all the services you need, or that you are comfortable getting services from multiple vendors and have the expertise to put it all together. They are not quite a one-stop shop.

Consider hosting your DNS elsewhere if your DNS needs require more than occasional editing. 99% of cases it should be fine though.

Maintaining domains for various sites, renewal is simple, prices are decent. Saving time v.s. some other registrars where renewal can be a bit more involved or buggy.

Hover review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

Horrible Email Services

What do you like best?

Set up with quick and easy. The support was helpful and instant.

What do you dislike?

email thresholds for new email accounts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use them for emails if you plan on sending more than 30 emails a day. They will put a threshold on your account and gradually increase to a "normal" threshold which they can tell you.

Don't use them for business email. They put a threshold of in my estimat 30 emails every 24 hours. We have been parking our domains with them for over 10 years. We have an established relationship yet they put a cap on emails for "security" purposes. They won't tell you the threshold and gradually increase them daily for security reasons with it taking one to two weeks, according to hover, until "normal" thresholds are achieved.

Rididolous if you are a regular person in a business. Unheard of and they say they can't make any adjustments as it all automated.

Hover review by <span>Jack K.</span>
Jack K.

Easy, simple, robust - domain names done right

What do you like best?

Hover really nailed it on everything. Buying domains on the site is easy and no frills - the minimal upsells are unobtrusive and clearly labelled (you're unlikely to accidentally end up with something you don't want in your cart. Security is great; TFA and login auditing are features that make me feel much more comfortable. The interface is as intuitive as it gets. Clear labelling, smart design, and creative use of space lets the site feel open and uncluttered while putting all the necessary tools at your fingertips. The DNS editor is simple and lightweight - something that's getting harder and harder to find these days.

What do you dislike?

Mailboxes could use a little bit of work to make editing and setting them up a bit clearer, but it's not that bad as is. The renewal alerts could stand to be a bit more frequent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. They're easy, make transferring simple, and although I'm sure you'll love them, you're not locked in. You really can't go wrong.

Domain hosting that's simple and intuitive was a must as we transferred away from a provider that ruthlessly upsold us and cared FAR more about comission than they did about taking care of us as a customer. A genuinely helpful company with OUTSTANDING support made that rollover to Hover easy and a no-brainer.

Hover review by User in Information Technology and Services

Four year Hover member - increasingly satisfied!

What do you like best?

Hover is a no-frills, inexpensive, but solid and secure platform for managing my website registration and personal email

What do you dislike?

Webmail platform is a bit clunky, the integration with iOS isn't the strongest and there are additional costs to connect with Google Apps. Overall, I'm not terribly pleased with my Hover email but expect it to improve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While I have not used GoDaddy or other platforms, Hover is very receptive to feedback and easy to get ahold of given you have questions or need support.

Hosting a personal website and email address where I can always have peace of mind in knowing that the site is up and any issues will be communicated by Hover.

Learning about Hover?

* We monitor all Hover reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.