Hudson

Hudson monitors the execution of repeated jobs, such as building a software project or jobs run by cron. Among those things, currently Hudson focuses on the following two jobs: Building/testing software projects continuously and Monitoring executions of externally-run jobs

Work for Hudson?
Teamcity vs 3  2x

Learning about Hudson?

Compare Hudson to Similar Solutions

Hudson Reviews

Showing 10 Hudson reviews
Hudson review by <span>Álvaro L.</span>
Álvaro L.

my experience working with hudson

What do you like best?

I like it because is open source and free, but what i like the most is the huge number of plugins available to install in a easy way. This allows me to have my CI server integrated with a lot tools and run several processes in a automated manner

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the core tools of hudson are insufficient and it's very common that you need to install plugins to set up the hudson jobs according with your needs. This could be problematic in a scenarios where you are limitated by administrator permissions, because you will need to ask for plugin installations several times if you are not hudson administrator.

Also the GUI is improvable in my opinion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before deciding if hudson is your option, my advice is to do an analysis in this direction, to conclude if the existing plugin ecosystem is going to cover your needs and if the tools and processes that you are going to integrate are supportable by the server or by the existing plugins.

Hudson allows me to centralize a lot of different processes used by my company and also have them automated to run independently, according to specific schedules or triggers such as a commit or user action.

Deployment of software in instances integrating with bitbucket, static analysis of code integrating with sonarqube or execution of functional and unit tests using selenium or phpunit are some of the processes that I can automate and execute with hudson and then achieve the goal of continuous integration.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Hudson
Hudson review by <span>Derek R.</span>
Derek R.

My first exposure to build automation and CI was with Hudson

What do you like best?

The basic features you'd expect from an job management tool: automated software builds, emails to committers and culprits, etc.

What do you dislike?

Don't have all that much to complain about. I configured various jobs and it worked well. The company I am now working for uses the forked Jenkins tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, I haven't used Hudson in several years. The company I work for now uses Jenkins. It's likely Hudson has advanced significantly since I last had experience with it. It would be fair to give Hudson a good look in comparison to Jenkins.

We used Hudson early on to schedule builds of our C++ software. We configured 'Nightly' and 'Smoke' builds with SVN change triggers that would notify us whenever a build broke. The culprit of the broken build wore a metaphorical 'cone of shame'

What Continuous Integration solution do you use?

Hudson review by <span>Timothy S.</span>
Timothy S.

Hudson CI

What do you like best?

Hudson has been a solid continuous integration, continuous delivery, continuous build and automation tool for years. It's hard to fault. It works, it's free, easy to install and works amazing with Java.

If you there was no Jenkins, Hudson would be a no brainer to use.

What do you dislike?

It's not Jenkins. After the fork and the split with the open source community, Hudson has not gotten the tools, support or community it once had. At this point, it's probably compatible with Jenkins for the most part, but I am not sure if it's fully compatible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't use Hudson, Oracle's license made it fork into Jenkins. All new support, tools and users are using Jenkins.

Hudson really lost it's steam.

To easily run builds, tests, deploys and everything else you can think to run. Runs it via schedule, github, SVN, web api and a ton of other things. Great for building maven, sbt, gradle and a ton of other things. Runs your tests and publishes the results. It can be monitored from a number of little watcher tools

Hudson review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

Hudson review

What do you like best?

Hudson is a great continuous integration platform that takes of build and has options to run tests

What do you dislike?

There is nothing specific that I dislike about Hudson tool

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great platform for continuous build and integration which one must try

Allows us to have continuous integration platform for code build, to run test suites and to deploy to target systems easily and effectively.

Hudson review by <span>Ashish M.</span>
Ashish M.

One of Best and easy to use CI tools

What do you like best?

I love the number of plugins available. For anything you can think of, you get a plugin for that.

Also its very easy to use Jenkins with other industry standard tools like: Gerrit, github etc

What do you dislike?

Hard to think of what i dislike. I can say it should have some run time print support when not using SHELL. Like when i do in python, I shows prints after all done

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of best you can get

Daily and nighly builds. Also performing other utility jobs to manage branches and routine CM tasks. And I have designed full automation framework for our hardware product around Hudson only.

Normally whatever I try to automate in CM, i try to involve Hudson in that. It give good UI and we can use output in quite many ways like to draw Dashboard or to inform others by mail etc.

Hudson review by G2 Crowd User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
G2 Crowd User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

Hudson is a great build automation tool

What do you like best?

It is multi-platform, feature rich, easy to configure and reliable.

What do you dislike?

It's written in Java. Also, it doesn't clean the workspace after each build, but this may just be a configuration setting we need to apply.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool, almost every month we find new uses for it in our organization. Everybody loves it, even non-technical people can use it thanks to the user-friendly interface.

We use Hudson for build automation, deployments and even backups. It is very extensible and easy to setup.

Learning about Hudson?

* We monitor all Hudson reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Hudson to Similar Solutions