IBM Bare Metal Servers

3.9

Provides Dedicated, Cloud or seamlessly integrated environments with 24/7 management of core services including database, security, monitoring and backup

Work for IBM Bare Metal Servers?

Learning about IBM Bare Metal Servers?

IBM Bare Metal Servers Reviews

Ask IBM Bare Metal Servers a Question
Showing 23 IBM Bare Metal Servers reviews
IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Dylan V.
Dylan V.

"I liked the speed and control"

What do you like best?

I develop services that utilize user driven content. I like having complete control of the environment for customized toolchains. The people at Softlayer are able to offer some good advice about what a service actually needs to be dynamic and scalable. And they can provide it. It was a pleasant experience overall, to be able to spin up a new clone, develop, decide wether or not to deploy, and move on.

What do you dislike?

Softlayer uses a custom panel to manage servers and services. It takes some getting used to. It's more or less a dumbed down version of what's available in the API. But, the access to hardware sort of compensates for this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a consult. Get a free year to develop your app. Understand how convenient it is to have someone else iron out any kinks for you.

Currently using Softlayer to accept user video, process it into web-viewable format, and make sure it's available for viewing as soon as possible. We've been able to publish more content more often. And the system reacts when there are event spikes. So when more users are online, more resources are available. Being able to provide a faster service has enabled us to increase ad revenue.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about IBM Bare Metal Servers
IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Kyle R.
Kyle R.

"Very reliable, Very fast, Somewhat expensive"

What do you like best?

SoftLayer has, by far, the most reliable and consistent network I have ever seen. I have tried many dedicated server providers and no one else even comes close. In my 3 years of using this product, none of my monitoring services had reported any downtime.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is the somewhat high price, although it is very hard to complain when the service is so good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend SoftLayer Managed hosting if you need fast, high-availability dedicated servers and you have a large budget.

High uptime dedicated servers and network. I never lost any sales due to network downtime and never had to waste my own time contacting support due to errors that were out of my control.

What Other IT Infrastructure solution do you use?

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Nagarjuna Y.
Nagarjuna Y.

"SoftLayer gives complete access compared to AWS"

What do you like best?

1. SoftLayer has data centers interconnected on a global private network. We can select the specific SoftLayer data center location we want so they can provision servers in the exact location users desire

2. In AWS when we move data between AWS servers, we have seen “Inter-Region Data Transfer Out” and “Intra-Region Data Transfer” on our bills. But in SoftLayer when we try to move data from one SoftLayer facility to another SoftLayer facility (anywhere in the world), that transfer is free and unmetered though this is not mentioned we found this is good thing.

3. Though AWS and Softlayers are termed as IAAS Softlayer is a clear win since it provisions bare metal for customers which gives more power and advantages in terms of performance and other things..

What do you dislike?

Need a very good scalable framework, designed by a very skilled engineer. Becuase beyond a certain number of users, the resources get chewed up quickly and if the framework is badly done, the system lags.Softlayer works better in the US because since because skilled engineers available in US as we are based in Asia we have encountered many issues with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used SoftLayer for period of 3 months this is some what expensive and most of the people who wants just to host a website or mobile back-end this is not for you because the process of provisioning is quite overwhelming compare to MIcrosoft Azure and AWS.

I suggest this only to enterprise users who wants top notch access to underlying bare machines & and need very high compute engines.

Application Hosting - It gives more power compared to amazon we have more power to customze our stacks

but soon we have realized we are not users who should be using the softlayer

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Sunando B.
Sunando B.

"Bit clunky but works"

What do you like best?

Softlayer has a very high level of automation and lot of stuff gets provisioned without any human involvement.

This leads to super fast provisioning and management of of managed hosting services.... and then they back it up with Great support.

What do you dislike?

Softlayer has a poor service provisioning interface with lots of fine-print. Some charges are not clearly displayed because of which we had to pay a hefty additional charge in our first month of services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While Sotlayer is a great stable managed hosting platform, you need to be a bit careful while provisioning new services... be very sure to read every word before you click ahead... we had to pay $600 coz we missed a fine print.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Consultant in Internet
Consultant in Internet

"I used SoftLayer for a short period while working for a small company in Sydney."

What do you like best?

The website at the time was undergoing some changes and it hadn't quite "settled".

The API proved to be sufficient for most tasks that I needed at the time - and of course this was the most obvious requirement for automation. While I didn't do anything too complicated, I can say that they accounted for all the features that I had hoped to find which was good.

I believe I had to contact support on two occasions (API related) - and on both occasions the problem was resolved satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The support people were friendly and knowledgeable, and I didn't have to go through a ridiculous maze, or have to constantly ask for the call to be escalated.

I should again point out that I was only there for under 3 months.

What do you dislike?

The website was a bit clunky and unintuitive, but I'm talking about early 2014. There wasn't anything else that stuck out that I disliked with respect to SoftLayer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazon is a tough competitor in this market, so I'd suggest that the requirements are weight up against costs and services offered before making a big investment.

The company had opted to use SoftLayer as they required physical machines (or at least they thought they did).

The company was an on-line retailer, basically copying what Shopify was doing but in Australia. SoftLayer hosted all their web and mail services - at least all that I was aware of during my employment time there.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Good, but expensive"

What do you like best?

I like the stability of the servers and the phone support. That being said, their phone support is not as good as some other companies.

What do you dislike?

They are expensive for everything. I have had to negotiate with them to bring the cost of new RAM for my server down. My server was unique and new servers have different pricing, but they originally quoted me $140/month for 8gb of ram.

I recently cancelled one of they Cloud Compute platforms, but still have a dedicated server with them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are always cheaper alternatives. Softlayer's is good for enterprise level customers.

We offer hosting for our customers & run a MSSQL database server.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Javier R.
Javier R.

"Excellent hardware, good network and bad support"

What do you like best?

The hardware. It's probably the best hardware I have found after trying a lot of managed services. Also you have a lot of options to configure your network, which is a good point to evaluate when working with multiple servers.

What do you dislike?

The quality of the support is not the best, and maybe the worst support I have been working with. The provisioning interface is really complicated too. The billing interface is ambiguous and is difficult to know what are you paying for. It is a really expensive service for individuals and little companies too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look for your needs. This is supposed to be a managed service, and the first thing that comes to my mind when talking about managed services is a good support. We are using Softlayer services just because the hardware and the network are amazing.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Fan D.
Fan D.

"Professional VPS provider, IBM Cloud"

What do you like best?

VPS can be configurable, such as CPU, memory size, storage type, OS, networking and location of server.

It also provide security access via standard VPN protocol.

It provides a easy-use portal to manage VPS.

What do you dislike?

Since we has used VPS from SoftLayer, all services are good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Another best choice of VPS provided by IBM cloud, compared with Amazon Web Service and Microsoft Azure.

SoftLayer provides us a reliable and fast virtual servers for hosting our O2O website.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Suresh. D.
Suresh. D.

"IBM WebShere"

What do you like best?

Its a robust,universal app server to run a enterprise.

What do you dislike?

Its the best application server server I have used so far, only price matters on decision to purchase.

Deploying application in a more secure, scalability and availability. Development stand point no need to worry on server level, concentrated more on business solution implementation.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Asd F.
Asd F.

"had great experience, high speed and performance and excellent support"

What do you like best?

I have used both monthly and hourly VSI and had great experience. Operating speed is very good and provides quick support facility in case of you messed up with your servers.

What do you dislike?

They should provide latest version of python and ruby in rhel image. I've worked with rhel 6.4 but still default python version was 2.6.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pleaee go ahead and try this. I hope u'll be gonna love this experience

I have installed openstack cloud on SL's VSI and also used it as my development server. Their repositories are always updated with latest rpm/ debian packeges.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Mark S.
Mark S.

"Power when you need it"

What do you like best?

Softlayer offers powerful servers. We took advantage of the nvidia k2 grid servers they offer, but they have many options when it comes to the hardware configuration that fits your needs. The support team is proactive and very responsive and they work hard ensure you have a smooth onboarding with their service.

What do you dislike?

Management console is difficult to navigate and not very intuitive.

cloud computing, elastic servers.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Solid hardware, OK pricing, OK interface, but horrendous support"

What do you like best?

- The hardware provided is decent and customizable. They have lots of different options for everything

- 10Gig ubiquitous and available

- Control panel interface is easy to use and effective most of the time

- The price is OK for what you get

What do you dislike?

Their support is some of the worst support I've dealt with. They have no triage system, its all first come first serve, no matter how serious the problem is. They will give people who are unknowledgeable about the problem at-hand first crack at the ticket.

If you need support on a product they sell, and they don't know the answer, it is a pain in the ass to get them to contact the manufacturer for support. They will keep trying stuff from knowledge bases until they are blue in the face.

You have no control over any networking besides picking how fast you want it. You can get a Vyatta virtual router, but any changes needed to be done on a switch (such as a VLAN change) need to go through a support ticket. if you need to change an IP address on a server, you need to submit a ticket.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you absolutely need to be in the cloud, consider another service unless you need slightly more control than AWS or similar offering.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Anderson G.
Anderson G.

"One of the best Host I have used"

What do you like best?

One of the most critical thing in host is support. SoftLayer's support is just great. It has good plan options with good scalability and the network speed is amazing. I have being used a private server and cloud server for about 5 years and it was a great experience.

What do you dislike?

The price sometimes is too high for small projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do recommend the Managed Hosting plans. Their support is great and very responsive. They can do everything you need in your host.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Velimir M.
Velimir M.

"Easy to use and configure cloud resource."

What do you like best?

Ability to control system resources through the Python API.

What do you dislike?

Frequent service outage emails, although hasn't impacted my project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at using the Python API for managing the servers, it is a powerful resource.

Web site development, hosting large datasets.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Sharanyan S.
Sharanyan S.

"One of the Best Dedicated Server Provider in The Hosting Industry"

What do you like best?

I used softlayer since 2009 - 2014 April, Their service quality, server up time, Hardware performance simply amazing! They deliver what they advertised on their site product page, I used their hardware to deliver business hosting services to my clients. If i receive any complaint form my clients simply forward this via my client portal and they fix all above issue with NO time. Their support speed and resolution time frame is one of the most accurate SLA in to this web hosting industry.

What do you dislike?

They should check out side market price and new trending features to cater their clients needs instead of deploying 2009 style Xeon2 processors for $399. Their competitors like Hivelocity,Peer1,LSN,Singlehop delivering Xeon7,32GB DDR,2x600GB SSD,1GBps port for $249, but softlayer still selling above configuration for 3x,4x price saying their hardware and service us premium quality.

Of course, their hardware and service always amazing, However as a buyer we always compare high quality with less price, If you can conduct depth research and change your product features and price then you will be the undisputed leader in to this dedicated hosting industry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk with account managers to get best price for your new server, instead of placing your orders through their site front end.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Joe M.
Joe M.

"SoftLayer is Highly Recommended!"

What do you like best?

SoftLayer communicates frequently with clients, especially when they are doing maintenance on their systems. During all the years my company has worked with SoftLayer, we have never had a problem. Their uptime and management services are excellent. Their staff is knowledgeable and responsive. I highly recommend SoftLayer.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike. They are an exceptional value for the cost. Their services are excellent.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Very reliable and great features"

What do you like best?

Reliability is at par for the websphere. The set of features available for webshere enterprise is very good.

What do you dislike?

Software is getting a bit heavy. Works great but feels slow when compared to its cousin Websphere liberty profile.

Run as production server.

Run Websphere commerce on premises.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by G2 Crowd User in Insurance
G2 Crowd User in Insurance

"good"

What do you like best?

best editing tool.

Integrated ide with all services to develop new applications .

What do you dislike?

crashes multiple time when no memory to run or multiple clicks on ide makes ide to exit .

to make new applications .

for analyzing the multiple files in the folder.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by User in Printing
User in Printing

"The best development tool when using WebSphere Application Server"

What do you like best?

The best integration with WebSphere Application server during development and helps profiling and review the code.

What do you dislike?

Limited plugin and restricted support for Open source tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Expensive tools but commercially the best tool where WebSphere application servers is used.

Web Development using Struts, Hibernate and WebSphere application server and the team is benefited by the seamless integration.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Waheed M.
Waheed M.

"Limited exposure."

What do you like best?

Wide ranges of offerings, IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS. DR, Big Data, etc.

What do you dislike?

Some of the interfaces are bit challenging.

Disaster Recover, we are looking to Cloud for DR solutions in order to reduce cost and gain efficiencies.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Administrator in Computer Software

"Services and management seamless"

What do you like best?

The ease of transitioning for locally hosted to manage hosting was easy for moving our VMs to the cloud.

What do you dislike?

Money talks, it is difficult to say that there were any issues with the product, it is just a very expensive service for small businesses.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great solution, just not cost effective.

hardware maintenance locally.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Internal Consultant in Hospital & Health Care
Internal Consultant in Hospital & Health Care

"RAD is a great tool to developer applications running on WebSphere"

What do you like best?

It works seamlessly with WebSphere runtime. You can guarantee that your code will run successfully on WebSphere environment.

What do you dislike?

The product is very resource intensive. Has big footprint. You need a powerful laptop to use it.

Developer various web applications for internal use.

Quick development and runs without issue on WAS environment.

IBM Bare Metal Servers review by Administrator in Computer Software

"After ten years we are forced to find another IaaS solution..."

What do you like best?

SL was so customer oriented before it become IBM...

What do you dislike?

We were forced to pay something we did not neither order neither use...

Recommendations to others considering the product

do not use!

Audio and video retransmission.

Learn more about IBM Bare Metal Servers

IBM Bare Metal Servers Downloads

Learning about IBM Bare Metal Servers?

* We monitor all IBM Bare Metal Servers reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.