IBM Bluemix Infrastructure

Provides Dedicated, Cloud or seamlessly integrated environments with 24/7 management of core services including database, security, monitoring and backup

Work for IBM Bluemix Infrastructure?

Learning about IBM Bluemix?

IBM Bluemix Infrastructure Reviews

Ask IBM Bluemix a Question
Showing 23 IBM Bluemix reviews
IBM Bluemix review by <span>Dylan V.</span>
Dylan V.

"I liked the speed and control"

What do you like best?

I develop services that utilize user driven content. I like having complete control of the environment for customized toolchains. The people at Softlayer are able to offer some good advice about what a service actually needs to be dynamic and scalable. And they can provide it. It was a pleasant experience overall, to be able to spin up a new clone, develop, decide wether or not to deploy, and move on.

What do you dislike?

Softlayer uses a custom panel to manage servers and services. It takes some getting used to. It's more or less a dumbed down version of what's available in the API. But, the access to hardware sort of compensates for this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a consult. Get a free year to develop your app. Understand how convenient it is to have someone else iron out any kinks for you.

Currently using Softlayer to accept user video, process it into web-viewable format, and make sure it's available for viewing as soon as possible. We've been able to publish more content more often. And the system reacts when there are event spikes. So when more users are online, more resources are available. Being able to provide a faster service has enabled us to increase ad revenue.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about IBM Bluemix Infrastructure
IBM Bluemix review by <span>Kyle R.</span>
Kyle R.

"Very reliable, Very fast, Somewhat expensive"

What do you like best?

SoftLayer has, by far, the most reliable and consistent network I have ever seen. I have tried many dedicated server providers and no one else even comes close. In my 3 years of using this product, none of my monitoring services had reported any downtime.

What do you dislike?

The only downside is the somewhat high price, although it is very hard to complain when the service is so good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend SoftLayer Managed hosting if you need fast, high-availability dedicated servers and you have a large budget.

High uptime dedicated servers and network. I never lost any sales due to network downtime and never had to waste my own time contacting support due to errors that were out of my control.

What Managed Hosting solution do you use?

IBM Bluemix review by <span>Nagarjuna Y.</span>
Nagarjuna Y.

"SoftLayer gives complete access compared to AWS"

What do you like best?

1. SoftLayer has data centers interconnected on a global private network. We can select the specific SoftLayer data center location we want so they can provision servers in the exact location users desire

2. In AWS when we move data between AWS servers, we have seen “Inter-Region Data Transfer Out” and “Intra-Region Data Transfer” on our bills. But in SoftLayer when we try to move data from one SoftLayer facility to another SoftLayer facility (anywhere in the world), that transfer is free and unmetered though this is not mentioned we found this is good thing.

3. Though AWS and Softlayers are termed as IAAS Softlayer is a clear win since it provisions bare metal for customers which gives more power and advantages in terms of performance and other things..

What do you dislike?

Need a very good scalable framework, designed by a very skilled engineer. Becuase beyond a certain number of users, the resources get chewed up quickly and if the framework is badly done, the system lags.Softlayer works better in the US because since because skilled engineers available in US as we are based in Asia we have encountered many issues with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used SoftLayer for period of 3 months this is some what expensive and most of the people who wants just to host a website or mobile back-end this is not for you because the process of provisioning is quite overwhelming compare to MIcrosoft Azure and AWS.

I suggest this only to enterprise users who wants top notch access to underlying bare machines & and need very high compute engines.

Application Hosting - It gives more power compared to amazon we have more power to customze our stacks

but soon we have realized we are not users who should be using the softlayer

IBM Bluemix review by <span>Sunando B.</span>
Sunando B.

"Bit clunky but works"

What do you like best?

Softlayer has a very high level of automation and lot of stuff gets provisioned without any human involvement.

This leads to super fast provisioning and management of of managed hosting services.... and then they back it up with Great support.

What do you dislike?

Softlayer has a poor service provisioning interface with lots of fine-print. Some charges are not clearly displayed because of which we had to pay a hefty additional charge in our first month of services.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While Sotlayer is a great stable managed hosting platform, you need to be a bit careful while provisioning new services... be very sure to read every word before you click ahead... we had to pay $600 coz we missed a fine print.

IBM Bluemix review by Consultant in Internet
Consultant in Internet

"I used SoftLayer for a short period while working for a small company in Sydney."

What do you like best?

The website at the time was undergoing some changes and it hadn't quite "settled".

The API proved to be sufficient for most tasks that I needed at the time - and of course this was the most obvious requirement for automation. While I didn't do anything too complicated, I can say that they accounted for all the features that I had hoped to find which was good.

I believe I had to contact support on two occasions (API related) - and on both occasions the problem was resolved satisfactorily and in a timely manner. The support people were friendly and knowledgeable, and I didn't have to go through a ridiculous maze, or have to constantly ask for the call to be escalated.

I should again point out that I was only there for under 3 months.

What do you dislike?

The website was a bit clunky and unintuitive, but I'm talking about early 2014. There wasn't anything else that stuck out that I disliked with respect to SoftLayer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Amazon is a tough competitor in this market, so I'd suggest that the requirements are weight up against costs and services offered before making a big investment.

The company had opted to use SoftLayer as they required physical machines (or at least they thought they did).

The company was an on-line retailer, basically copying what Shopify was doing but in Australia. SoftLayer hosted all their web and mail services - at least all that I was aware of during my employment time there.

IBM Bluemix review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Good, but expensive"

What do you like best?

I like the stability of the servers and the phone support. That being said, their phone support is not as good as some other companies.

What do you dislike?

They are expensive for everything. I have had to negotiate with them to bring the cost of new RAM for my server down. My server was unique and new servers have different pricing, but they originally quoted me $140/month for 8gb of ram.

I recently cancelled one of they Cloud Compute platforms, but still have a dedicated server with them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are always cheaper alternatives. Softlayer's is good for enterprise level customers.

We offer hosting for our customers & run a MSSQL database server.

Learn more about IBM Bluemix Infrastructure

IBM Bluemix Infrastructure Downloads

Learning about IBM Bluemix Infrastructure?

* We monitor all IBM Bluemix Infrastructure reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.