IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud

IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud

IBM® Cognos® Analytics offers smarter, self-service capabilities so you can quickly gain insight and act on it. The solution empowers business users to create and personalize dashboards and reports on their own - while providing IT with a scalable solution that is available on premises or on the cloud.

Work for IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud?

Learning about IBM Cognos?

IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud Reviews

Ask IBM Cognos a Question
Showing 88 IBM Cognos reviews
IBM Cognos review by <span>Gos Y.</span>
Gos Y.

Powerful BI tool for business insight and reporting

What do you like best?

The Cognos is very powerful to leverage the big data - you can have all the ways to design the report and get what you wanted. It provides all the ways to design the report - Query Studio/Report Studio/Active Report/Event Studio ... I like to use the report studio to design the reports and set in the schedule so I will be able to receive it as planned. Query studio give you a quick way to look into the data. Active report provides you the more flexibility to be more interactive with the data.

What do you dislike?

It's always tricky to use the reporting. Not easy to take on the active report quickly and user friendliness is in question. If you are ready to invest a big resource in the platform, this would be a great one to go for. The tool is a little heavy not a very light one and sometimes you got stuck in a unknown error code which caused a big trouble.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a powerful tool but not as easy to ramp up quickly as other tools. So if you are ready to invest in the tool and people, you will be benefiting so much from it by getting more insight from data.

We use the tool to design the reports which provide the insight how the network performs. This data and how it presents are very important for network technicians and engineers to understand the network performance.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud
IBM Cognos review by User in Higher Education

Cognos in Higher Education

What do you like best?

Cognos is a powerful BI tool. It has been set up to be integrated with several of our existing databases to allow us one interface to pull data on demand, or send scheduled reports to university stakeholders. It has just enough needed to make the menus and layout easy to use, without overwhelming the users. I like the features that allow it to save reports on my own dashboard or to make available to other users on different campuses. This ensures we are using the same parameters when looking at data and cuts out repeat work from multiple departments. This has truly helped us run our programs and make decisions on real-time data instead of using manual data tracking as in the past.

What do you dislike?

Cognos is very selective with which browsers work best. For example, some browsers will not even let me log into the system, while other browsers let me log in, but do not allow me to write reports. I have only found one browser which will support Cognos all around, but unfortunately, it can be buggy at times. The filters freeze and I often get server timeout errors. This could all be related to our individual campus and where our data is housed, but it does inhibit my productivity at times. Other times it works just great. Really can be hit or miss.

We use Cognos to pull enrollment, demographics, grades, registration habits, academic standing, basically everything we need to know about our University. It allows us to collaborate, and remain consistent with our data over time. We are also able to work anywhere and have access to Cognos cloud.

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

IBM Cognos review by <span>J Reese K.</span>
J Reese K.

Once you Get it, You Get it

What do you like best?

It cube-like interface is very useful when you need pivot table like analytics for line managers or executives. It can slice and dice data in more ways than you need and pretty quickly too.

What do you dislike?

If your turnover is high or if there is not enough specialists on hand to REALLY train it well, its a lost value. The learning curve is steep and it really depends on your base level item level data and input. Can you trust what it is telling you?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really evaluate your current data integrity. Congnos is a heavy hitter and can move mountains but is your mountain easy to find?

We used it to tell trends within the overall business all the way down to the rep level per product sub-segment. Once we agreed to 4-5 dashboard reports and strictly limited "custom" reporting in discussion, we started seeing value.

IBM Cognos review by User in Retail
User in Retail

A dissapointing upgrade

What do you like best?

easy to use, drag and drop, report studio. Report scheduler. easy to navigate

What do you dislike?

charts have very little customization, reports run slow. weak self service BI

Recommendations to others considering the product

I was disappointed from the upgrade from Cognos 10 to Cognos Analytics. Perhaps I was just used to the old layout, but I find the new layout hard to use and has a lot of bugs. Everything takes longer to do in the new GUI and I find myself preferring the old Cognos pages that the admin left up. We were really hoping the dashboards would help with self service BI, but it was a little disappointing. Honestly my company is tranisitioning away from Cognos since the upgrade to Analytics. Cognos has a lot of great features but it's not in the direction that we are going.

I like the versatility of data sources. We use everything from Live API calls to informix, sql server and oracle databases. We use cognos to deliver operational reports to the warehouse and brick and mortar store, productivity reports to upper managers, and burst individual reports to several hundreds of users per day. Primarily we use Cognos to schedule reports, but have built some dashboards and some users have ad-hoc reports.

IBM Cognos review by <span>Sri Divya N.</span>
Sri Divya N.

quite useful

What do you like best?

Dashboards and reports can be created very easily and also offers good flexibility in how the reports are made. I didn't need to install the application on my laptop. I can easily create reports and generate charts on the browser.

What do you dislike?

I had some problems when using it on Mac book or on some browsers.

The documentation provided by IBM is not very good and understanding Cognos initially might be a little confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

good for normal data visualizations but you will get better products for the same price these days.

It is better to select a product based on your specific needs in the long term as the dashboards provided by a lot of applications offer similar options.

I was in the process of trying different tools for data visualization purpose and Cognos analytics was one of them.

IBM offers another product, IBM Watson analytics which was much easier to use in certain ways than IBM Cognos. There is not much differentiation among a lot of the tools available in the market for basic dashboard generation.

IBM Cognos review by <span>Donna N.</span>
Donna N.

Upgrading to IBM Cognos Analytics

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and new look of Cognos Analytics. We've used Cognos 10 now for quite some time.

What do you dislike?

I like the look but since it is so different, it's also difficult to find the features and functionality I'm used to using.

We combine data from many sources for project performance and we also have our Peoplesoft accounting data in a data warehouse. This offers a quick way for us to create reports for our Financial users.

Learn more about IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud

IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud Videos

Learning about IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud?

* We monitor all IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.