IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud

IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud

3.6

IBM® Cognos® Analytics offers smarter, self-service capabilities so you can quickly gain insight and act on it. The solution empowers business users to create and personalize dashboards and reports on their own - while providing IT with a scalable solution that is available on premises or on the cloud.

Work for IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud?

Learning about IBM Cognos?

IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud Reviews

Ask IBM Cognos a Question
Showing 134 IBM Cognos reviews
IBM Cognos review by Gos Y.
Gos Y.

"Powerful BI tool for business insight and reporting"

What do you like best?

The Cognos is very powerful to leverage the big data - you can have all the ways to design the report and get what you wanted. It provides all the ways to design the report - Query Studio/Report Studio/Active Report/Event Studio ... I like to use the report studio to design the reports and set in the schedule so I will be able to receive it as planned. Query studio give you a quick way to look into the data. Active report provides you the more flexibility to be more interactive with the data.

What do you dislike?

It's always tricky to use the reporting. Not easy to take on the active report quickly and user friendliness is in question. If you are ready to invest a big resource in the platform, this would be a great one to go for. The tool is a little heavy not a very light one and sometimes you got stuck in a unknown error code which caused a big trouble.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a powerful tool but not as easy to ramp up quickly as other tools. So if you are ready to invest in the tool and people, you will be benefiting so much from it by getting more insight from data.

We use the tool to design the reports which provide the insight how the network performs. This data and how it presents are very important for network technicians and engineers to understand the network performance.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud
IBM Cognos review by Jack H.
Jack H.

"Easy implementation, and customizable- A complete pack for Cloud Architect"

What do you like best?

The product is really very advanced with loads of options, very intuitive and very customizable. The frontend portal is very well secured.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it becomes slow in issuing the large data. Except that it is perfect. I believe developers would fix this issue in upcoming update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare vendors thoroughly and make sure that which software meets your requirement.And I believe that this might fulfill your requirements because it has all features which a Cloud Architect requires and also it is cost effective for long term.

Well I was not able to focus on another task just because I have to take care of my data and its analysis which is now been done very often even without wasting my time to gather data and analyse it. Because now its been done just one click.

What Self-Service Business Intelligence solution do you use?

IBM Cognos review by User in Higher Education

"Cognos in Higher Education"

What do you like best?

Cognos is a powerful BI tool. It has been set up to be integrated with several of our existing databases to allow us one interface to pull data on demand, or send scheduled reports to university stakeholders. It has just enough needed to make the menus and layout easy to use, without overwhelming the users. I like the features that allow it to save reports on my own dashboard or to make available to other users on different campuses. This ensures we are using the same parameters when looking at data and cuts out repeat work from multiple departments. This has truly helped us run our programs and make decisions on real-time data instead of using manual data tracking as in the past.

What do you dislike?

Cognos is very selective with which browsers work best. For example, some browsers will not even let me log into the system, while other browsers let me log in, but do not allow me to write reports. I have only found one browser which will support Cognos all around, but unfortunately, it can be buggy at times. The filters freeze and I often get server timeout errors. This could all be related to our individual campus and where our data is housed, but it does inhibit my productivity at times. Other times it works just great. Really can be hit or miss.

We use Cognos to pull enrollment, demographics, grades, registration habits, academic standing, basically everything we need to know about our University. It allows us to collaborate, and remain consistent with our data over time. We are also able to work anywhere and have access to Cognos cloud.

IBM Cognos review by Rosario F.
Rosario F.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

I love that it is on the latest version of Cognos and I have all the new features available to me. I have used the new features for exploration and data modules. Since IBM keeps adding capabilities, I keep being able to do more.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the fact that sometimes it errors out. I'm not sure whether it is an issue with connecting to its data repositories or what it could be. I run the visualization again, and I get the visualization. That ensures the issue isn't on my side.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep discovering the new features

I am able to upload data and show my customers what issues the business may have.

IBM Cognos review by User in Higher Education

"Good analytics for BIG data"

What do you like best?

Cognos is a really useful, powerful platform that can handle a LOT of data and gives you the freedom to organize and compare data in many different ways. I can look at trends in data over different years, quarters, months, etc, and I can also compare across departments at my company depending on how I query the data.

What do you dislike?

There is a fairly steep learning curve when using Cognos. It isn't always very intuitive, but lots of that has to do with how your company sorts and organizes their data. Also, there isn't a great way to visualize the data other than by using numbers. It isn't great at helping outsiders understand the information quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're expecting Cognos to be like Tableau or other data visualization software, this isn't for you. It's good at handling BIG data and keeping track of thousands of lines of information, but it doesn't do much to visualize it. It can present it in numeric forms and

We are able to find trends, answer specific questions that department heads have, and track expenses, budgets, basically any data that we want to. As long as the people who need the answers understand the basic information at our company, Cognos does a great job of helping everyone move forward with better information.

IBM Cognos review by J Reese K.
J Reese K.

"Once you Get it, You Get it"

What do you like best?

It cube-like interface is very useful when you need pivot table like analytics for line managers or executives. It can slice and dice data in more ways than you need and pretty quickly too.

What do you dislike?

If your turnover is high or if there is not enough specialists on hand to REALLY train it well, its a lost value. The learning curve is steep and it really depends on your base level item level data and input. Can you trust what it is telling you?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really evaluate your current data integrity. Congnos is a heavy hitter and can move mountains but is your mountain easy to find?

We used it to tell trends within the overall business all the way down to the rep level per product sub-segment. Once we agreed to 4-5 dashboard reports and strictly limited "custom" reporting in discussion, we started seeing value.

IBM Cognos review by User

"Analytics Suite for All Roles"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that there is one Reporting Tool for all user roles, the improved Search capabilities, and the context sensitive functions. We are using 11.0.12.

What do you dislike?

The Dashboard Tool capabilities require improvement so that it is not necessary to use the Advanced Reporting Tool for formatting fonts, and complex user requirements like showing detail list reports along with Visualizations in a dashboard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Cognos 11.1.1 introduces AI features and many improvements over the 11.0.x release. The IBM Cloud Operations Support post Go-Live is not proactive in identifying issues in the environment. There is a lot of room for improvement in the monitoring services of the health of the environment to proactively manage the environment.

We are providing managed reporting and ad-hoc reporting for our functional teams along with KPI Reporting to help Business Areas manage their business performance and operational needs.

IBM Cognos review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"A dissapointing upgrade"

What do you like best?

easy to use, drag and drop, report studio. Report scheduler. easy to navigate

What do you dislike?

charts have very little customization, reports run slow. weak self service BI

Recommendations to others considering the product

I was disappointed from the upgrade from Cognos 10 to Cognos Analytics. Perhaps I was just used to the old layout, but I find the new layout hard to use and has a lot of bugs. Everything takes longer to do in the new GUI and I find myself preferring the old Cognos pages that the admin left up. We were really hoping the dashboards would help with self service BI, but it was a little disappointing. Honestly my company is tranisitioning away from Cognos since the upgrade to Analytics. Cognos has a lot of great features but it's not in the direction that we are going.

I like the versatility of data sources. We use everything from Live API calls to informix, sql server and oracle databases. We use cognos to deliver operational reports to the warehouse and brick and mortar store, productivity reports to upper managers, and burst individual reports to several hundreds of users per day. Primarily we use Cognos to schedule reports, but have built some dashboards and some users have ad-hoc reports.

IBM Cognos review by John N.
John N.

"Still exploring "

What do you like best?

The user interface is fairly easy to use. I been using the product for about 1 week. However, I have used other products as ArcGis and Tableu. I feel that they are all related. But I feel I need more experience with Cognos.

What do you dislike?

Recommended graphs and charts. Some of the recommended graphs and charts were not what I wanted.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch Tutorial online and do the tutorial problems.

IBM Cognos Analytics works fast. I like how you can get answers almost instantly.

IBM Cognos review by Rinku S.
Rinku S.

"IBM can improve the user experience "

What do you like best?

The various types of analysis gives us the user a lot of options. Also the metrics and data manipulation available is quite diverse. The integration to other dataset seems limited.

What do you dislike?

The user experience/UI is very 90s. I have been using Einstein Analytics for my client and they love the UI and how easy it is to manipulate the data. In additon, it offers the avability to integrate with other datasets.

We do not use IBM Cognos Analytics for our client.

IBM Cognos review by Sri Divya N.
Sri Divya N.

"quite useful"

What do you like best?

Dashboards and reports can be created very easily and also offers good flexibility in how the reports are made. I didn't need to install the application on my laptop. I can easily create reports and generate charts on the browser.

What do you dislike?

I had some problems when using it on Mac book or on some browsers.

The documentation provided by IBM is not very good and understanding Cognos initially might be a little confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

good for normal data visualizations but you will get better products for the same price these days.

It is better to select a product based on your specific needs in the long term as the dashboards provided by a lot of applications offer similar options.

I was in the process of trying different tools for data visualization purpose and Cognos analytics was one of them.

IBM offers another product, IBM Watson analytics which was much easier to use in certain ways than IBM Cognos. There is not much differentiation among a lot of the tools available in the market for basic dashboard generation.

IBM Cognos review by Donna N.
Donna N.

"Upgrading to IBM Cognos Analytics"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and new look of Cognos Analytics. We've used Cognos 10 now for quite some time.

What do you dislike?

I like the look but since it is so different, it's also difficult to find the features and functionality I'm used to using.

We combine data from many sources for project performance and we also have our Peoplesoft accounting data in a data warehouse. This offers a quick way for us to create reports for our Financial users.

IBM Cognos review by Han L.
Han L.

"Frameworks manager is great"

What do you like best?

Flexibility of development by creating many data sources using Frameworks manager.

Personally, I am a big fan of Frameworks manager. In comparison to something like SAP Universe (UNX), it provides flexibility and ease of adding/removing data sources without impacting existing data sources & metadata.

For report development, having vast amount data sources through Frameworks Manager allows them to do less custom/one-time objects for individual reporting objects.

What do you dislike?

Like most web browser based application, random browser issues from even windows update.

Reports for sales, purchasing, accounting/financial, inventory and rebates.

Working on many reports, the toughest challenge is the ever changing requirements. This is where Frameworks Manager has been great. We were able to make changes to data sources or add them quickly without impacting existing data source objects.

IBM Cognos review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Great Product, needs some customization"

What do you like best?

Simplicity. The product works great and wonderful product integration with Data. The search is powerful and visualizations are great..

What do you dislike?

Not exactly dislike. Too many powerful features and not organized as story books. If they were guidewires or guide by examples, that would have been wonderful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plan pretty well and know the features, power and tricks before you take other products' comparison stories. Those products cannot meet the meta data management or, automated queries of IBM Product. They are no where near.

We are moving our data into cloud and need to do plenty of data standardization. IBM Cognos quickly helps us, without writing queries, figure out our data, anomalies in the dimensions and the data distribution.

IBM Cognos review by Gary L.
Gary L.

"Flexible reporting tool"

What do you like best?

Cognos is incredibly flexible and powerful. It allows me to create highly customized reports that users can run independently. In addition, users can select their own filters on the reports, which reduces the amount of time I spend generating one off reports

What do you dislike?

There is a steep learning curve. Features can sometimes be counterintuitive or difficult to understand. In addition, the interface and output has a utilitarian feel that can appear clunky and outdated. I have experienced issues exporting reports to Excel, although workarounds were found.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want a powerful BI tool that can do a lot but aren't particularly concerned with producing flashy reports, Cognos is a great choice.

I use a Cognos-based system to generate custom reports from the eClinicalworks electronic medical record.

IBM Cognos review by User in Utilities
User in Utilities

"Easy to use, fast, reliable"

What do you like best?

Coming from SAP BO, I was almost stunned by the ease of use of IBM Cognos.

Before I started using Cognos I had to wait days, or weeks, to access updated reports now is only a matter of seconds, sometimes minutes.

What do you dislike?

The remapping of all the dimensions in the different environments.

Due to this, I had to redisign all my queries.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are no specific contraindications. If you intend to switch all your reports and data easily, consider a tiling between your current BO solution and Cognos.

We had a big problem of NRT data availability. Now, with the new infrastructure in scalable cloud, all this has been made possible.

Even the maintenance speed of queries has been increased significantly.

IBM Cognos review by Agency
Agency

"Cognos review"

What do you like best?

I feel that the cognos suite of analytics is a phenomenal too for clients to develop key insights in order to develop KPI's and to continue to serve organizations.

What do you dislike?

The initial set up can be cumbersome in some client environments. If the client has a smaller environment and not enough resources to analyze data or set up adequately, finding resources to properly make use of the data can be a challenge as well.

Gain better insights into the clients business, being able to develop KPI's surrounding not only growth initiatives but also a better ability on evaluating current business practices and the value they bring to the business

IBM Cognos review by Stephen P.
Stephen P.

"Difficult to use & expensive data visualization tool"

What do you like best?

It is possible to make decent looking dashboards for data visualization. The software has a fair amount of power to post-process data, for example, a reasonably efficient join. Despite being a bolt-on acquisition, it integrates nicely into the IBM tool ecosystem.

What do you dislike?

Insanely steep learning curve. This is not a software package you can hand to a business analyst without a ton of training. There are so many ways to shoot yourself in the foot, yielding a report that completely fails but without a clue what to do next. Also, a lot of the data modeling must be done upfront by the report creator, not a lot of dynamic discovery is possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really look at who your likely user base is and their likely adoption level. If you just need a couple people who are pros, this package might be fine. But if you want people to be able to just pick it up and dabble occasionally, look elsewhere.

I used this software to crunch & report on a variety of structured healthcare data related to workflow steps and clinical information. The report was distributed to customers in PDF form for maximum portability, losing a lot of the power along the way because there was no other simple way to distribute it in compiled form outside our corporate walls.

"Analytics"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of this report writer is the Cognos Agent. I love the fact that I can build a search criteria and I only get a report if the conditions change. Do to this feature we have substantially lowered the number of reports that we get daily. This has lead to a decluttering of the inbox which has lead myself and other users in the department to move much quicker on the issue. Before the reports were pretty much ignored - just too many to look at.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike the most is under the same feature (Cognos agent) - the ability to copy statements (using a web browser) is a challenge.

Recommendations to others considering the product

. Build a data warehouse first or in conjunction - Extremely powerful tool!

This product has been a game changer for my organization. We went from manually having to run reports almost exclusively on an ad-hoc basis to being able to get simple rosters daily and being provided data audit reports. Next, we look forward to being able to create more analytical reports that will allow us to make better business decisions.

IBM Cognos review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Gone but not forgotten"

What do you like best?

Support is generally good, the OLAP product (analysis studio) was once best in class and still very good. OLAP SDK automation support, though now unsupported, used to be great.

What do you dislike?

IBM has effectively stopped working on new Cognos products, and it shows. Newer web browsers have major compatibility issues with the various Cognos "studios" that are difficult if not impossible to work around. SDK support used to be excellent, but have since been discontinued with no real replacement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The very many competitors in this space have now made IBM Cognos nearly obsolete, and IBM seems to know it. Tableu, Qlik, etc are probably better solutions at this point.

About 10 years ago we deployed a analysis solution for our customers that was very well received. It leveraged several IBM Cognos studio, allowing them to explore their data in a variety of ways.

IBM Cognos review by Julia A.
Julia A.

"Excellent reporting tool"

What do you like best?

There is a lot of functionality and the basics are easy enough to figure out.

What do you dislike?

You have to be very knowledgeable to use it in depth. It isn't very user-friendly like other tools. It takes a lot of practice and probably some outside training.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to have a knowledgeable person to trai others.

We use it for HRIS and payroll reporting. It helps drive many of our dashboard and metric reports, as well as day-to-day management of data.

IBM Cognos review by Administrator in Information Services
Administrator in Information Services

"Dynamic tool useful for more advanced reporting needs"

What do you like best?

I like how its a very flexible platform that can be adopted to most any data set. We integrated it with our orion servers. As our application has a completely dynamic structure with almost no standard field sets. Due to the customizable nature of our product we needed something that could work with it.

What do you dislike?

Its a long learning curve. We invested a decent amount of time and budget into training staff on this tool IN addition to getting long consulting engagements to aid with support and implementation. I do not see this engagement ending anytime soon. Maintaining this tool entirely in house would be a large undertaking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would as the tool however complex. DOes have good help documentation. Its common enough you can find resources online. ALso it looks alot like outlook or excel. Products people may be familar with. The product we give to our end users. Is a much more simplistic version of the tool and its completely customizable. YOu can allow them to have little or lots of functions. Really depends on what your user needs are and how high their comfort level is with using a advanced reporting tool. You can aldo build reports with the standard tools or add Java on top to make it look much more pleasing. We find that this added function allows us to have a reason to make some reporting billable and is an extra line of revenue.

We needed a tool that could populate our custom fields data on a on demand basis. Letting us report across multiple tables without the need for any techincal skills involved on the customer end. Additionally having two versions of the tool Report Studio and Workspaced advanced. One for our internal teams to build custom reports and the other for standard end users to work with.

IBM Cognos review by Jayasimha reddy M.
Jayasimha reddy M.

"Accessibility and user friendly."

What do you like best?

IBM Cognos Business Intelligence presents information in a personalized format; users can analyze, share and collaborate on content in one dashboard. Language and location are no longer barriers to access and interaction with dashboards.

The IBM Cognos Business Intelligence mobile app allows users to access information via iPhone, iPad, Android tablet or smartphone.

These business intelligence capabilities can be deployed on-premise, Web or on mobile. While buyers can choose to implement any of the applications standalone, we recommend evaluating the fully integrated platform for maximum visibility and insight.

What do you dislike?

It is very expensive and few issues were found in mobile reports

Recommendations to others considering the product

IBM Cognos is currently serving approximately 2000 unique logins per month across 18,000 interactive report executions.

Access to structured data is more widely available to our audiences

Ad-hoc query capability is extended through the use of Cognos Query Studio

Ad-hoc report generation is supported through the use of Cognos Report Studio

Access to structured data is more widely available to our audiences

Ad-hoc query capability is extended through the use of Cognos Query Studio

Ad-hoc report generation is supported through the use of Cognos Report Studio

IBM Cognos review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Incredibly useful with its link up play via IBM Enterprise Viewer"

What do you like best?

Incredibly detailed tool. I've used this tool working on mitigating identities for patient profiles. This tool explains best what we need to look for regarding patient demographics and how we can resolve merging potential duplicate identities with the correct information provided as well as separating and creating separate EIDs if an account has merged with conflicting information.

What do you dislike?

There is not much i dislike about the program.

The business problems we are solving are regarding potential PHI Breaches and resolved automated functions with the MyQuest tool that the company I work for supports. The benefits this tool easily provides us when we need to escalate a ticket to the appropriate group for resolution. Using this tool is extremely helpful in the area I work for.

IBM Cognos review by Alfonso M.
Alfonso M.

"Cognos for Customers"

What do you like best?

We are working wit a customer in Mexico for deployment of Cognos soluction to establish a BI solution for their Sales Department and it looks and feels very well, nothing to do with the older version of Cognos

What do you dislike?

The lack of sales training for us Business Partners

The customer needs to have a better understanding of tehir businness and their customers needs

IBM Cognos review by Kevin P. M.
Kevin P. M.

"IBM Cognos in an education institution"

What do you like best?

IBM Cognos BI is a highly flexible suite of report-writing and display tools to support reporting a variety of data in a variety of formats. Users can usually find at least one or two ways to do almost anything in Cognos, and for those features for which Cognos does not have any pre-set properties or solutions, users can bring in custom HTML items to add functionality to their reports. Many of the blog posts out there that look at ways to accomplish very specific, advanced things in Cognos will revert to modifying a custom HTML item in the report.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve for Cognos BI can be steep, and this is do in part to its flexibility. Because there are thousands of settings, properties, tools, and combinations of these things, there is not one set way to accomplish a task in Cognos. There are best practices, but these will vary based on the user's data.

Moreover, the documentation that IBM provides is considerably technical and is lacking in proper examples (though there are books out there that do a better job of providing real-world examples). The challenge with relying on community support forums to troubleshoot the report is that how you write a report is highly dependent on the structure of your data. Oftentimes, we have found that the best way to solve something in Cognos BI is to structure the data differently either in Framework Manager or (when working with dimensional cubes) in Transformer.

Whenever you deviate from very simple report requests, you almost become an explorer of yore, forging into unmapped territory (at least when it comes to your data structure). This, unfortunately, means that you often have to find your own way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find other users in your industry that have similar data marts and use Cognos for the same purposes that you are considering. Set up a call with those other users to ask them about implementation, organizational support necessary, ease of distributing reports to other users, and overall experience with the product. Also, invest in some of the Cognos books that are out there; they are, in many ways, superior to the documentation from IBM.

We rely on Cognos as our reporting system of record for all student data: admissions application, financial aid, registration and enrollment, grades, billing, and more. For the past 4 years, we have been been using the system for all of our detail list reports. More recently, we began using Cognos also for summary level reporting and will soon be using it to roll out dashboards to our campus colleagues.

IBM Cognos review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Report Builder"

What do you like best?

I like that it's a complete report builder and scheduler. From start to finish, you can work in Cognos to build the report and have it automatically schedule to pull data into a formatted report and have it directly send email to clients.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how it's so difficult to customize a report from a generic table to one presentable to the client. Changing color, aligning text, group and page layout require a lot of effort to make into a full fledged report.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good tool to have if there is an experience Cognos user that has developed in it.

Capturing data can be done with other tools and data can be manipulated in other tools but Cognos can give you 1 stop shop if you know how to do it.

This solves reporting problems by giving an environment to create reports and deliver them or just scheduling the data to send to required users.

IBM Cognos review by Hema M.
Hema M.

"Best BI tool for best business outcomes"

What do you like best?

Encountered this tool when I was in search for a best tool. Ample of options are available for personalization and providing visual infographic output and very much user friendly.

With this tool Business users can effectively present data and track performance very interactively, while changes are being updated dynamically.

There is also provision for collaborative working where users can share, discuss and edit on a single platform. Some helpful features like realtime notifications, public or private comments, maps and location based services are also made available.

Mobile BI app takes this tool to the next level.

What do you dislike?

Its purely web based, hence there is no possibility to work offline by installing the software on the local system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very light, easy to learn

Reporting, Dashboard presentation, Story telling and Business intelligence.

IBM Cognos review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Complete analytics tools in one place at your disposal in a very easy to use and stable UI."

What do you like best?

It provides a complete set of web based tools that allow user to look at data visual, analytics, intuitive scorecards and key performance indicators measurements that is catered to my organization. It takes large big data and organized into an easy to understand graphs and reports.

What do you dislike?

It works great with windows based computers at work but when access with Mac at home, there are some slow down when used with Safari browser.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend Cognos for organization who deal with large volume of data on a daily basis and wanted to create meaningful data visuals, dashboard and executive summary for upper management to comprehend and use for decision making.

Trying to make use of our large customer data and interpret the results of our promotional activities. It allows to know what we did wrong and tweak it for the next promotion events and campaign.

IBM Cognos review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Small project"

What do you like best?

The cloud option. It is that most vendors are going through and with IBM is not different, however, it is my worst experience comparing with other competitors.

What do you dislike?

The tool is very square. It is not very intuitive and the interface is not good. The sample reports that accompany the tool are quite inviting, but a common user can not create them. It is very difficult to create an attractive and interesting product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I believe it is gonna get better, but is not a great tool right now.

Foi realizado um projeto simples de Business intelligence para responder questões de ocorrências de polícia.

IBM Cognos review by User in Medical Devices
User in Medical Devices

"Cognos has every function we need!"

What do you like best?

I like the versatility of Cognos. Although it can seem a bit foreign at first, the user ability is actually quite easy. After no time I was figuring out how to do the most complex of tasks.

What do you dislike?

On the same token, I wish the interface was more modern. It looks a bit archaic and the graphics could definitely use an update.

We needed a software that would connect multiple departments with sales data figures. Cognos allows us to run numerous ad-hoc reports that each department utilizes in a different way.

IBM Cognos review by Victoria M. C.
Victoria M. C.

"It works, but not the most user friendly software."

What do you like best?

It is a commonly used software among the corporate world. It standardize the data sources before you query out the database, so definitely save you time on data cleaning or data preparation.

What do you dislike?

The interface looks like it is never updated since the 90s, it really is not user friendly.

To elaborate on how it is not user friendly, besides the interface appearance, it would be helpful if they have a search function for the data item within the package and it would also be helpful if they can show the item content directly after included in the query or report item.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The trend of data really gear toward user friendly, visualize, self-service goals, which are the area Cognos are not strong at.

To obtain data decision reports from multiple data sources that do not link together directly otherwise.

We are able to manage large amount of data through this visualize query that does not required direct coding.

IBM Cognos review by Tammy S.
Tammy S.

"Cognos helped me to stay abreast of the financial performance of my business."

What do you like best?

The ease of all the financial numbers from my business in one place in order to see how we performed against other locations in our company.

What do you dislike?

I felt that the user interface was not always easy or intuitive to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to be able to have your financial numbers all in one place be able to analyze better, I recommend this software.

I was able to deep dive into the various departments of my businesses and coach my team accordingly.

IBM Cognos review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Cognos leaps back into the BI Competition"

What do you like best?

Enterprise BI at its best drawing on 40+ years of Enterprise BI experience.

What do you dislike?

Perceived as old school and ownded by IT, but now available in the Cloud using advanced AI technologies.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you've not taken a look at Cognos in a few years - make sure you do now!!! It's come a long way from the days of Series 7, now incorporating the benefits of Watson Analytics (RIP).

Solid BI from operational reporting to adhoc query. Easy self-service and guided analytics.

IBM Cognos review by Christopher F.
Christopher F.

"IBM Cognos Analytics works for us"

What do you like best?

IBM Cognos Analytics is a great tool to streamline our data out to our customers. Great reports and chart making with ease.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to speak of right now. Things are going smoothly.

Putting the data in to teh hands of our business usres.

IBM Cognos review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"Taking BI to a whole new level with pre-built or port in dashbaord interactivity "

What do you like best?

It's a great tools for analytics and reporting and its fairly easy to use. IT provides highly interactive and flashy reports that are portable on mot platforms that are available today along with mobile platforms like iPad that are increasing being used by business for on the go purposes. In addition, reports can be imported from other tools such as widgets into dashboards or one can use pre-built dashboards as well.

What do you dislike?

Initial setup is not easy. It requires actual databases and this can be achieved using an ODBC or JDBC driver. Hard to work with CSV file formats.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The reports are transportable, work in iPads which is a huge benefit since everyone wants to be mobile these days. However, the fields can be very large and can be hard to secure so having additional capabilities to address these two main issues will make it a much better Business Intelligence tool for use in everyday life.

It helps build dashboards easily as one can build reports from other tools like widgets or use a pre-defined dashboard. It is absolutely not necessary to start from scratch for basic to intermediate users.

IBM Cognos review by Consultant in Research
Consultant in Research

"IBM Cognos is an outstanding Analytics Platform"

What do you like best?

What i like best about IBM Cognos is that it is an all in one suite driven through a browser.

What do you dislike?

What is dislike about IBM Cognos is that it is not compatible with all browser. Mac user tends to have problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IBM Cognos is a very powerful analytics platform. Titan release will give a nice GUI interface and become more user friendly for front end user. IBM cognos is greatly liked around our university because all users can use it through the browser without install additional software. IBM customer support is very good as well as their user group meeting. There is a lot of support and users willing to share knowledge on how to get setup and work through IBM Cognos. Overall I would definitely recommend IBM Cognos as your all in one analytics solution for your organization.

I am currently using IBM Cognos to develop reports for our University financial department and also human resource. We are trying to analyze our expense to cut cost.

IBM Cognos review by User

"Feedback on IBM Cognos on Cloud as part of the IBM OMS CoC Offering"

What do you like best?

Good analytical platform and works well based on the data/access.

What do you dislike?

Currently, there are several issues with the Cognos reporting for IBM CoC-OMS solution. We struggled using the Cognos platform for holiday support. Currently there are gaps in keeping the system in sync or run reports on a timely basis. Need to improve on this offering as operational reporting is key part for running the business.

Sourcing decisions and adjusting inventory postions as requried. Analyzing stuck orders within the OMS systems,.

"Gets the job done :)"

What do you like best?

I like that I can save reports in different formats. It gets the job done - I can run reports on what I need to.

What do you dislike?

Not a very pretty/up-to-date interface - kind of clunky to navigate. I wish that I had more control over what fields to add in reports, but that's probably more of a site-specific choice.

I use Cognos to run reports on expenses, as well as on the results of our graduating senior survey. It allows us to see how our graduates are doing and where they're going. The reports are clear and easy to understand.

IBM Cognos review by daryl b.
daryl b.

"Cognos admin user"

What do you like best?

The modeling of the data and the fact that the data needs to be structured before it gets ran in reports FM modeling

What do you dislike?

the complex mature of mass changes. some times the admin is tough

solving issues with mass updates and security

IBM Cognos review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Lag in output, but useful"

What do you like best?

That we can extract claims data from our warehouse and make specific criteria requests to be included to specialize a report.

What do you dislike?

The time it takes to received reports could be immediate, 5-10 minutes or even a full night to receive depending on size. Therefore, I don't like that the turnaround time isn't consistent.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be mindful of the size of your data warehouse or repository and be sure to ask if there are other system requirements or aids that can assist with speedy or clear expectations of turnaround time.

We are able to accurate pull claim data history specific to our non-par and par network of providers, which is helpful for trending and strategizing.

IBM Cognos review by User in Hospitality
User in Hospitality

"IBM Cognos Analytics Review"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to create custom reports without having to necessarily type in cumbersome coding

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, it can be hard to find exactly the field that you are looking for.

We currently use Cognos as the BI engine for our HRIS program. It does exactly what we need it to do. you can create custom reports using your own data with ease. The different formatting options give you the opportunity to build professional looking documents without having to import into MS Office.

IBM Cognos review by Komal A.
Komal A.

"Great product"

What do you like best?

Cognos Analytics is a great analytics product and it has been improved a lot in the coming years

What do you dislike?

Search on the new Cognos is horrible. The new search capability in Cognos 11 is not exactly one of the greatest

None

IBM Cognos review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"IBM is failing with Cognos Analytics"

What do you like best?

Cognos Analytics has a lot of features they are trying to expand their functionality

What do you dislike?

It has alot of problems, the legacy authoring tool is broken since the new UI roll out, the new dashboard feature does not have alot of options

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would stay away from this software it is not as good as Tableau, Qlik Sense, or Power BI from microsoft

IBM cognos is a staple at allot of business intelligence depts in many large enterprises, unfortunately it has not aged well and is a laggard in business analytics software.

IBM Cognos review by Roland C.
Roland C.

"Exploring IBM Products"

What do you like best?

How powerful Cognos Analytics is and the many ways Cognos could be used.

What do you dislike?

My lack of product knowledge on the various products IBM offers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the training classes offered.

Reporting and visualizations used to make decisions.

IBM Cognos review by Minh L.
Minh L.

"I built out a CPM solution using this product"

What do you like best?

The ease of building out the data models and reports/templates. I also like the fact that you can easily create cubes of whichever dimensions you wanted and view snapshots of the data almost instantaneously. There is a BI component which I'd like to explore.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the (what I found to be) non-intuitive TI language to feed cubes from one to the other. I'm not sure if I could pick it up or where to even get the resources to do so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Certain CPM softwares are right for certain companies.

Be sure to explore:

1) VENA

2) Tagetik

3) Prophix

4) IBM Cognos TM1

5) LongView

(In no particular Order)

Moving from one CPM solution to another. The benefits I've realized were that TM1 is well-equipped with tools that can be leveraged for BI/CPM and other forms of analytics.

IBM Cognos review by Internal Consultant in Consumer Services
Internal Consultant in Consumer Services

"IBM Cognos BI"

What do you like best?

IBM Cognos is a suite of BI functionality that encompasses dashboards, ad-hoc reports, standardized reports and mobile reports so there is usually more than one way to accomplish a goal. IBM Cognos has spent significant effort improving the underlying query engines in v10 while also updating the overall visuals to a more modern look and feel.

What do you dislike?

IBM Cognos (like most of the seasoned BI vendors) is extremely proud of their software. Licensing is expensive and the learning curve can be steep without guidance from someone well-versed in the technology. Business users seem to find the breadth of functionality overwhelming so they tend to back away from the self-empowerment that we've made available to them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate as many solutions as possible. Invite each vendor to participate in a Proof-of-Concept with your data. All demos have been perfected to work with an extremely small set of data. Most vendors claim to excel with large data sets so make them prove it.

We are using IBM Cognos BI mostly for standardized reporting. We are starting to push out dashboards, Active and mobile Reports.

IBM Cognos review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Review of Cognos by a 10 year report developer"

What do you like best?

That there are multiple ways to come to the same result. Developers have a great variety of methods to use in order to perform certain functions. It also allows me to be creative and unique in how I design and develop reports.

What do you dislike?

When I run into a roadblock while developing a report, I have to google my issue instead being able to find my answer on IBM's website. IBM's support site is difficult to navigate and often does not contain the answer I'm seeking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

While it is a complex report development tool aimed at experienced developers. You can't deny the flexibility in what can be produced.

I'm mainly using cognos as a tool to devleop reports that will improve my company's financial status. Mainly by creating reports that point out inflated costs in different operational areas of the company. The results of these reports can then be used to adjust certain procedures or strategies that will help in reducing these costs.

IBM Cognos review by Joshua M.
Joshua M.

"IBM Cognos a solid suite of business intelligence and financial performance tools."

What do you like best?

IBM Cognos has a wide range of products involve in the suite that allow the business to get the reporting they need in the way they want it. IBM also does an increasingly good job of integrating the products together.

What do you dislike?

Certain aspects of the tool are overly difficult or not developed enough. The dashboarding aspect of Cognos BI definitely needs some improvement to be effective and there is still some development on the visual aspect needed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think about what you need and how much you want things to work together. Other products may hit specific needs better, but using all IBM products can also provide a benefit over splitting your suite across 2 or 3 different software companies. Evaluate your needs and then look at demos or ask the companies for demos if you are big enough to warrant one. This will allow you to make the best decision possible.

Cognos can solve a variety of business problems and has been used to put in forecasting for sales and finance and reporting for sales to actively update progress of actuals versus goals.

IBM Cognos review by Raveendra Babu G.
Raveendra Babu G.

"Work on Cloud"

What do you like best?

Less Maintains on servers to easy to communicate and also reduceing the man power

What do you dislike?

Always with some server side fix to work our application

we can knowing where we are in our business

Learn more about IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud

IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud Videos

Learning about IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud?

* We monitor all IBM Cognos Analytics on Cloud reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.