IBM Domino

IBM® Domino® is a platform for hosting business-focused collaboration applications. With Domino, you reduce IT infrastructure and associated administration costs by increasing automation and decreasing hardware resources. Automation, monitoring, tuning and diagnostic features can improve productivity, boost operational efficiency and enhance administrative decision-making and system availability. You can also tie multiple IBM Domino servers together to create a high-performance application environment.

Work for IBM Domino?

Learning about IBM Domino?

IBM Domino Reviews

Ask IBM Domino a Question
Showing 88 IBM Domino reviews
IBM Domino review by <span>Drew A.</span>
Drew A.

"A Program That Has Outlived Its Time"

What do you like best?

The Sametime IM feature is pretty good, if a little bare-boned. I like that it automatically saves chats so that I can go back to them like I can with email.

Filing emails with folders is easy enough, and the "Send and File" option makes it easy to keep everything together.

It's easy to have multiple inboxes open at once.

The ability to share calendars with other employees so that I can find them when they're not in their office is really useful.

What do you dislike?

The search function doesn't always find email or chat history that I know is there.

The UI is pretty awful. It looks like something straight out of the late 90s. And this is recently upgraded version.

Archiving is...uneven at best.

Bunch of extra tools I have never used.

It's unnecessarily complicated to set up an out-of-office reply.

It's a resource hog. Having it running all day eats up a decent amount of my CPU's memory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No need to go with Notes unless you have a need to build custom databases that tie in intimately with your email system. Even then, there's probably another system that ties in better to Outlook or another email system.

I understand why my organization originally went with IBM Notes. The database abilities allowed for an all-in-one solution. But now, Notes is so bloated and a resource hog compared to Outlook, and so many databases have been transitioned to other areas that it is really irrelevant. We are moving to Outlook later this year.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about IBM Domino
IBM Domino review by <span>Nate H.</span>
Nate H.

"Basic email and calendar app and that's about it"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes gets the job done when it comes to email and calendaring.

What do you dislike?

Notes has fallen way behind even most of the free consumer email platforms not to mention the enterprise platforms it competes with.

From an end user perspective here are some issues that Notes has:

** Notes can't search well. The default search option looks only in a single field (subject, email sender, etc.) instead of across all text in the email like you'd expect it to. Consequently it's more difficult to find something you need to.

** Composition tools are basic. Notes doesn't fully undo some actions when composing email. So often you find yourself having to start from scratch because there was some composition feature used that can't be undone. It's typography is fairly poor (almost nonexistent leading/kerning and list/bullet management) so more lengthy emails look rather unprofessional.

** Fit and finish of the desktop client shows age. Notes just looks and feels old. Icons are often small and outdated. Spellcheck has no way to ignore words that start with capital letters (like names) so it's constantly asking about first names of people I email which is annoying. Dialogues like the "Add new calendar entry" leave a lot of white space and have small difficult to use fields for important information like start/end times.

** Calendar is more difficult than other systems. For some mystifying reason Notes will not allow you to forward a calendar invite you've accepted to a colleague making it more challenging to collaborate with a dynamic team. Notes calendar doesn't play well with other systems so most often a separate verification needs to be sent to ensure the individual received the meeting invite (this is especially true of meeting updates).

** It lacks integration. It's rare these days to see any new app or system integrate with Notes so it stays very siloed where other email platforms are doing deep line of business integration (CRM, video conferencing, etc.) and social integration (facebook, twitter, slack, etc.).

** Mobile and desktop syncing issues. There are some well know issues that involve reading email ,calendar invites especially, on the mobile client (IBM Traveler) that cause them to be removed from the default views of the desktop client. Basically important email can "disappear" when using the mobile client. The mobile client also doesn't allow integration with other mobile apps so calendars, for example, can't be unified on a smart phone; the Notes calendar won't feed into any other mobile calendaring app.

At want point I think IBM Notes was an innovative product. Not anymore. It does email and calendaring.

What Calendar solution do you use?

IBM Domino review by <span>Federico O.</span>
Federico O.

"Great Email Client"

What do you like best?

I've been using the Notes client for over ten years and I'm convinced it's a great client for managing email, calendar and contacts but above all for collaborating in teams. In particular, my favorite feature is the possibility to develop customized applications (databases) that help daily productivity

What do you dislike?

The only feature that could be improved is the graphical interface. In fact, while I find it excellent, the opinion of the majority of users is that it is "ugly". By comparing it to other mail clients, users do not put it as the first choice for that reason.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are no recommendations that I deem particularly necessary. It is an excellent product for the purposes for which it is born. In daily use it allows you to work without interruptions, both online and offline, using its excellent replication mechanism. It has a great integrated chat for instant communications and its client on Android and iOS works very well.

IBM Notes allows me to collaborate better with my colleagues, allows me to collaborate with them especially at a distance with a speed and immediacy that I can not find in any other product.

IBM Domino review by <span>Pritam D.</span>
Pritam D.

"After 1 year of use Review on IBM Note pros and cons"

What do you like best?

The best this is like it is very simple to use no complication in functionality and it will give you notification for meeting and scheduled work. Along with that they are proving chat functionality also you can chat with who all are working with you.from calendar you can check your daily routine and set up meeting with others. Good email sorting option are there you can easily customize your email box according to your usability and sort it by date ,month and more .From pricing prospective it is good in comparison to other application but its required lot of modification to make it user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Its needs to be updated i fell like its very heavy and slow , Interface also not that great so essential need of enhancement.In chat window also in comparison to other application it need improvement so that people can find it more interesting.some functionality password change and all are bit complex its need to be fix.

calendar view is okay other things needs improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommending like if you are using it then okay you can go with it but if you are thinking to switch ti IBM note then i will suggest better to go with outlook that is more better that IBM note and good customer support also.

we use IBM note for official communication like mail ,chatting with employee with in the organisation and set up meeting with the people using calender.

IBM Domino review by <span>Emma H.</span>
Emma H.

"IBM Notes is great for email"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes is great for email. It allows me to store my contacts and view my schedule in my calendar. There is also a To-DO list icon and a notebook all on the home page so it's easy to access this info. I am able to add my signature to each email which adds both to my own brand and to the brand of my company. I am also able to sort my emails out in files, such as a Promotional file and a Record file. I am also able to save email templates to use when needed.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that emails are automatically deleted after a certain number of days if they are not "tagged" as a Record. If I forget to tag something, I can lose valuable information this way. IBM Notes is pretty simple (white and blue), but it would be nice to be able to customize it by color or look. I am not aware of the ability to do this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall, IBM Notes is easy to use and works great for email. It is not significantly different from others of its kind, but it serves its purpose for email.

Email is a crucial part of my work so relying on email to correspond with different clients, as well as my coworkers, is of importance. I have to be able to access my email throughout the day to answer questions and provide insight and support. There are many different departments in my company, and email is one of the best ways to get in touch with someone, especially if they are unavailable for a call or IM. Additionally, the email templates save time, and the various folders allow me to sort my emails so they are easy to find when I need them. The calendar function allows me to keep track of my schedule.

IBM Domino review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Notes is dinosaur of email"

What do you like best?

Enables tight integration with organization tools and templates e.g., file sharing, messenger. Notes is also generally reliable and a stable software with very few instances of crashes/ bugs.

It also provides good calendar functionality in general (excl. the fact that I cannot forward invites). The calendar views are easy to view and manage.

What do you dislike?

Not designed for modern collaboration. You cant even forward an invite!! To invite additional attendees, when you dont own the invite, you need to create a duplicate calendar invite, and obviously if the original invite moves around, you will need to move the duplicate invite manually. Very painful.

Another problem is that its replication function (i.e. email sync) is very slow and infrequent. I need to manually press Replicate and Sync several times to send an email in my outbox or to receive and email on notes which I already see on my iphone mailbox (both the devices are connected to the same network, so its not an issue with network speed)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont even think about it! You will instantly move back 20 years in time if you switch to Notes. I recommend using other tools such as Outlook, slack etc. for your business.

While the software is stable and reliable, it simply not user friendly enough and its design and features are out of sync with the needs of the modern professional.

IBM notes has been our primary email client for several decades. Benefits are cross-firm familiarity with the platform, and seamless support.

IBM Domino review by <span>Saugandh K.</span>
Saugandh K.

"Good IM"

What do you like best?

The best was it's link with the connection's page (It is kind of a social network for companies). They are both are in sync and helps in messaging or mailing a person immediately found in the connection page. The options are plenty to customize the mail sending and receiving option. Calendar sync also works well.

What do you dislike?

The UI can be improved a bit. It gives a very technical and non friendly look when we open the application for the first time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Will recommend if it needs to be used by a large domain company.

We are connecting with everyone in the bank with the help of IBM notes. Messaging and mailing is the main use in the bank.

IBM Domino review by <span>John W.</span>
John W.

"Okay as a software, but feels outdated this day and age "

What do you like best?

Can drag and drop files into emails

Integrated sametime chat

What do you dislike?

Freezes and/or slows down all the time

Really complicated system for archiving emails

Cumbersome interface

overall feels like it works, but just barely is obsolete in this day and age

Bunch of extra tools I never need or use

Calendar too outdated to be of practical use

Recommendations to others considering the product

I ended up using my own separate email program and other things for file sharing. Was too difficult to keep up with ibm notes

I ended up forwarding my really important emails to a personal email cause too hard to archive. But a lot of emails i can't because has sensitive information. So no choice but to lose them or try to figure out how to save them since my company auto deletes things after 3 months.

Official email service used at work

Also same time communication

IBM Domino review by <span>Emily P.</span>
Emily P.

"If you like email clients that act like they're from 1995, this one's for you."

What do you like best?

It gets the job done, and the web interface as opposed to the native client is better. I do like that I can look at the calendars of other employees to see when they are available for meetings.

What do you dislike?

Searching within Notes is frustrating. The Citrix or native clients are clunky and not user friendly. Finding anything that doesn't pertain to email is near impossible. I've used this product for 13 years and I've still never figured out how to put vacation on my calendar without it being a meeting. The trash function could be a lot better. The spam system could be a lot better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not recommend this. Go with something like Google Apps. I think you'll be happier for it.

Our company uses Notes for email, calendars, and to store some employee information such as the online library and handbooks. If it worked better, it would be great for this, but as it is, it could be better.

IBM Domino review by <span>Juan Ignacio G.</span>
Juan Ignacio G.

"Useful but not very friendly"

What do you like best?

It provides solutions for contact with clients that are effective, the writing of mails is fluid and it loads fast when starting.

What do you dislike?

Some features that are key to the tool are hard to find as the configuration of the personal signature and the out of office. The chat should improve the interface and the access to the options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a tool that is essential once you get used to its use; It is not very intuitive but the main functions for which it is contracted, it fulfills them without problems.

I use it daily in my work and it is my main source of contact both with external clients and with my co-workers; we also give a high use to organize calls and meetings both external and internal.

IBM Domino review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Very Old School"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes is very secure and with our spam filter, not much gets through. The design is very classic, so it's pretty easy to understand what every icon means. If you used Windows 98, this will be nothing new for you.

Safe for companies.

What do you dislike?

It is too old school. Using IBM Notes is like a nostalgic email service that you would use for something retro. Saving an image or file from an email is so painful. The load time is really bad. Hard to reply to messages without getting all these error codes popping up. The search tool is not that great. So many weird unused features available.

The worst part of all is trying to set up the email, so you can receive emails on your phone. Also have to have IBM Notes loaded on computer to view. Not convenient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider other options before committing to this dinosaur.

Communication is just always key in business. There is not a huge benefit to IBM Notes, besides being our email provider. We end up using Slack or Skype for most communication and file transfering.

IBM Domino review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Mature product with good life still left"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and setup, especially as a developer. Can quickly put together databases with minimal effort. Because Lotus Notes was first a mail system, can include document routing and approvals with minimal effort. Development code, Lotus Script is very much like Visual Basic making it easy for developers to pick up and run with.

What do you dislike?

Database size limitations. When databases grow large the performance goes down dramatically. This is why they introduced the db backend, but that adds a level of complexity and most developers did not adopt the technology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a good product, quick and easy to work with. A bit of a learning curve because it's not Microsoft.

Quick and easy app development. Reusable templates is fantastic. Develop your set of templates and reuse them for other apps. Templates then cascade updates to all your applications, no matter how many they are. Distributed servers and database replication also give awesome performance to sites no matter where they are or what the internet connection quality. Something Microsoft and others have never been able to figure out.

IBM Domino review by <span>Lauren R.</span>
Lauren R.

"Great Program"

What do you like best?

What I like best about IBM notes is that it is easy to learn how to use the program and all of its features. You have access to multiple inboxes at once instead of having to log in to them all, they are all easily located on the home screen. The calendar is easy to use and schedule meetings. The address book feature has been very easy to use and locate who in our company that I am trying to locate. The IM feature has been extremely helpful and has streamlined getting in touch with coworkers that may be currently on the phone.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I dislike is that is does freeze from time to time. However, I haven't seen a program that doesn't freeze.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend IBM notes to other people and companies in need of upgrading their email programs for work. It has streamlined the process for being able to get in touch with coworkers for problem solution.

I have been able to get in touch faster with other departments and people within our company to resolve issues faster with the IM feature. We are able to send out meeting notification and the calendar settings allows me to set an alarm for a reminder.

IBM Domino review by User in Research
User in Research

"Databases with a bad email client on the top"

What do you like best?

It sends email (just about) - seriously there is not much i 'like' about it. But it does the job i suppose in terms of sending email, managing it in to folders and being able to work. The whole experience just sucks though.

What do you dislike?

The entire user experience is just shocking. Everything is needlessly hard or unintuitive and when you compare it other email solutions it's clearly substandard. It has just enough functionality in it to meet IT groups basic requirements and it's cheap. Unfortunately that means you inflict it on a workforce that literally wastes hundreds of hours working around the crappy interface.

Specific things that really suck:

Viewing threads as conversations - just about every other product does this effectively

Mail rules - So bloody rigid that you have to re work them constantly and even then they only work half the time

Searching - for anything is a bloody nightmare

Calendar - just everything in general is pants but repeating meetings and large meetings are particularly hard to manage

Any links to the Connections package are just clunky and hateful from a user perspective

Recommendations to others considering the product

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Go and get a proper solution - it's cheap for a reason

I guess i'm solving the need to get email but that's about it. Sametime is the chat option - equally crap compared to Messenger or Slack.

Benefits realized are all negative - it's a drain on my time and a source of constant frustration

IBM Domino review by <span>Ariel C.</span>
Ariel C.

""Slow"tus Notes"

What do you like best?

I get my emails, generally, so that's a bonus. The calendar invite integration is decent.

What do you dislike?

It's sooo slow to start up and to close out. Also, the search functionality is absurdly poor. Every time I look for something, it takes ten minutes to find it. The folder structure can be difficult to arrange and rearrange. The ability to flag items isn't helpful since you cannot change the flag color. I've tried changing colors to help me see what's unread or needs to be worked on, but it hasn't helped all that much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't. Run away.

Lotus Notes is our way of internal communication, as well as with customers. Lotus Notes is reliable, to an extent, and with the global address book, it simplifies business processes.

IBM Domino review by <span>Jerry H.</span>
Jerry H.

"Works well only if you know how"

What do you like best?

Calendar feature is well designed. Delegation works well. Even though the replication is very confusing, it does serve a good backup purpose. Good for user management, database management and server management. Compare to other platforms, it is more secure.

What do you dislike?

Very confusing replication. Not easy to set up a database application to be used. Break easily with corrupted local files and the Email application wont work properly. Sametime connection is so bad. The build-in internet browser barely work for the more advanced web pages, and there is no way to install extensions and plugins.

This is company-wide used platform

IBM Domino review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"Respectable email client"

What do you like best?

Sametime instant messaging was a great way to informally reach out to colleagues. It was great that it had searchable chat history. Notes also allowed access to other workgroup mail boxes as well which was very convenient.

What do you dislike?

Compatibility issues with meeting invites sent from Outlook as all sorts of weird issues were experienced e.g. meetings not showing up in calendar or showing up multiple times.

The ability to stay connected is vital in today's fast paced environment. E-mail is one way to communicate, but having instant message adds another form of more timely communications that can provide chat history, which would not have been available through a phone call.

IBM Domino review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Supposed to be more of a collaboration environment than a mail client but fails to deliver"

What do you like best?

Honestly, there is absolutely no feature that I like and that I will miss if I move to another similar software.

The only decent feature is the calendar

What do you dislike?

Extremely slow search inside mailbox. After a year of keeping e-mails in your mailbox the search becomes practically unusable.

Bad search on contacts. Sometimes you have to search with the correct order of first/last name etc.

Very unintuitive menu. Even for the simplest settings you don't really know where to navigate to find them. Google is your friend.

Ununtuitive UI, there are times that actual objects (such as contacts) appear as plain text items but when you right click on them there is more functionality).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try before you buy. It can be really challenging for people used to Microsoft products.

e-mail, Calendar, simple business applications

IBM Domino review by <span>Rachel  M.</span>
Rachel M.

"Web based IBM Notes"

What do you like best?

I love that we can access our County email from any web portal that’s secured including our personal devices

What do you dislike?

I don’t dislike anything so far. It’s very user friendly and offers lots of features

I love the fact that we can check our County email from any web portal and device.

IBM Domino review by <span>Vittorio O.</span>
Vittorio O.

"From Lotus Notes to Domino 2025"

What do you like best?

It is a very good and durable technology we have 25 years of experience and looking forward.

Some important success stories in this period!!

What do you dislike?

Ibm marketing under estimate the product for some long years. This was a very big problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm very happy with Ibm Notes and Domino and my customers too!

It is a very complete platform to do business so I al collaboration. It allow to solve a wide range of business issues. Obviously it have Also the email.

"Notes for IBM "

What do you like best?

I like all the options for tools and widgets you can use to personalize your system for mail and beyond. I like it’s func.

What do you dislike?

name changes of users can be difficult within the system itself for distribution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It does not work with Microsoft and other systems to integrate but its professional enough to stand alone. Works great for large organizations to fit the needs of many.

Professionals love notes because it has tons of functionality and personalization. Rule building is one of the big time savers to help staff Prioritize and stay organized. Love that it comes with Urgent options and flags to note importance of messages. Also in calendar the reminders are often a life saver when you have busy meeting schedules.

IBM Domino review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"IBM Notes Review"

What do you like best?

I like how easily I can store information with regard to my daily calendar and meetings.Notes client upgrades are easily managed with a built-in SmartUpgrade feature. While not flawless, it automates updates even for users operating over very low bandwidth connections. That you can use this product offline is even better.

What do you dislike?

The client update process should be automated more. It sucks to have to constantly approve and maintain updated on my own. I would like to see the Notes client update quietly and quickly more like an Adobe software update (even those are not the best; perhaps if the updates happened automatically like Apple updates on an iPhone, say between 2am and 5am without the need for approval). If an update fails it should automatically try again without prompting the user over and over (much like android, this becomes quite obnoxious).

Use is primarily for calendar. Helps maintain and organize a schedule. I don't really use it for mail, but I am aware of a lot of people in the office that do.

IBM Domino review by <span>Samuel F.</span>
Samuel F.

"Lotus Notes Review"

What do you like best?

I use lotus notes which houses our old email information and also some data which isn't shared with other systems.

What do you dislike?

Lotus Notes isn't used as much since we use Office 365 now. I would consider this software an older sofware. Been using if for over 8 years

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend looking at other software before committing to Lotus Notes. A lot of companies are looking at cloud based software or software that is more portable.

Using software for storage and data purposes only.

IBM Domino review by <span>Jennifer S.</span>
Jennifer S.

"Notes needs a real upgrade!"

What do you like best?

The spam filter is great. True spam emails end up in the Spam folder. It is very rare that a "real" email filters into spam.

What do you dislike?

Notes is SO SLOW and crashes often. Notes needs more flag color options. They also need an overall facelift and feature upgrade. I really feel Outlook has surpassed Notes.

Notes has a decent SameTime interface. It's so simple, it needs no explanation.

IBM Domino review by User in Financial Services

"Love it!"

What do you like best?

It is very organized, the window pane has everything you need and has the ability to be modified based on your own preference of what you would like to see (date/calendar/mail/buddylist, calendar/tasks, etc). The chat feature on there is the best!

What do you dislike?

It lags and freezes often, sometimes things are quirky (reply/fwd buttons don't work as should)

E-mail communication, internal instant message communication.

IBM Domino review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"IBM Notes formally IBM Notes Experience"

What do you like best?

Recall message ability...I love that its easy to recall a message once I realized it was sent to the wrong person and it give you a recall report to tell if the recall was successful. Of course the recall is only useful internally or for other using Notes. Not sure how well it does for users outside of Notes.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot of businesses seem to use it. Signature line limited

Have an easy to use, secure email, calendaring, and collaborative enterprise system for our employees

IBM Domino review by G2 Crowd User in Staffing and Recruiting
G2 Crowd User in Staffing and Recruiting

"staying organized"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and it does keep you organized. Finding notes later is great and transforming them in to the project is fantastic

What do you dislike?

It's a very clumsy software. the learning curve was somewhat strange and you had to watch a lot of help videos on You Tube to get up and running

Recommendations to others considering the product

make time to learn to set the software up properly before diving in. It will save you time in the long run

Big meetings where there are a lot of little details that could be overlooked in the note taking process.

IBM Domino review by <span>Travis D.</span>
Travis D.

"The Gold Standard...10 Years ago"

What do you like best?

Lotus Notes brought secure, encrypted email and communication to corporations and managed all of the users tasks and communication very well. Now, the user base has fallen as people have transferred to use the Microsoft Outlook and Lync clients. Lotus notes is still very functional and performs well, it just needs a face lift to be able to compete.

What do you dislike?

The interface is very dated. Aside from this, those going from Microsoft branded products will miss the integration that Outlook provides with the Office Suite. Lotus Notes needs to rebrand itself to be able to compete, because corporations are rapidly leaving it behind.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot but also try out the Microsoft Outlook and Lync programs before deciding on the option that most coincides with your business/user needs.

Calendar and Task Management

Instant Messaging

Lotus Notes does all of the communication tasks one would expect well and provides pass word protection for email accounts and the program itself as added security.

IBM Domino review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Missed the workflow functionality"

What do you like best?

Work flow functionality. This original development concept of Lotus Notes was as a Work Flow solution with an integrated e-mail and calendaring function.

We used Lotus Notes for Work flow, e-mail, Calendar and ISO documentation base for processes and procedures in relation to ISO9001.

What do you dislike?

Can be a resource hug - needs a robust infrastructure to server its requirements.

Our setup was multiple servers linked together to achieve a system that is fast a reliable for worldwide operations. The company had more than a 100,000 people worldwide and relies on the robustness of Lotus Notes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the workflow functionality it was originally designed for - you will love it.

ISO documentation, process controls. Had quick turnaround times.

IBM Domino review by User in Information Technology and Services

"It does not compare to microsoft outlook"

What do you like best?

There is nothing on here that Outlook doesn't already have

What do you dislike?

I for one would never go for IBM Notes. I find issues/ errors happening all the time, system crashes or things don't update as they should. It is embarrassing when you are trying to project manage and meeting invites and cancellations sometimes do not go through

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not recommend

None to speak of.

IBM Domino review by User in Higher Education

"IBM Notes is a really well designed email and collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes is very well designed and very stable as an email tool. I have been using the software for quite a while for to-do lists, emails and other applications such as calendars and maintaining notes. Its a great tool for collaboration and for group activity scheduling. Also works really well with difference OS

What do you dislike?

Nothing much really. The integration with other softwares could be better and the email functions could be updated a lot at par with Google email functions

Collaborations and group activities schedules. Emails. Maintaining tasks lists and other to-do lists.

IBM Domino review by <span>Sowmitra S.</span>
Sowmitra S.

"It is good and user friendly."

What do you like best?

receiving content and system is good. very smooth and kind of very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

It did not upgrade the system frequently. So need to upgrade daily basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Microsoft outlook.

Mail system is being used for business problems.

IBM Domino review by User

"Good software but not the best"

What do you like best?

It's a tool with enough applications and functions for a good work in the office, all in one only tool.

What do you dislike?

It's in "Stone Age" in comparation with MS Outlook for manage e-mails. Not even you can search the e-mails very well through body.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Add it this: do it simple and do it friendly.

Using e-mail, we have communication to work, and we know the Human Resources and other departments information with the other applications.

"User Friendly program"

What do you like best?

Ability to schedule meetings & send notifications to other users, and reminders come up in emails.

What do you dislike?

I really wish that I could schedule emails to be sent at a future date. No one I've asked has said this is possible.

Primarily just use the program for calendar and email. Not sure how that translates for solving problems. But there are benefits to having a program that syncs calendar and email like this.

IBM Domino review by <span>Sophie L.</span>
Sophie L.

"Good communication tool"

What do you like best?

The software can replicate emails so it can be accessed offline. The sametime chat allows easy and secure communication internally. The calendar function allows for room booking system so it is easy to set-up meetings.

What do you dislike?

When there are issues sending emails, it takes time before customer support is able to fix the issue.

The chat function provide an easier way to communicate with colleagues who are not in the same location.

IBM Domino review by <span>Vitali R.</span>
Vitali R.

"love IBM notes "

What do you like best?

it has everything you need to run business start from notes to emails

What do you dislike?

can be a bit complicated to use for new users

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's not very easy to use, but if you get to know it well it has big potential for business

enterprise email client integrates social collaboration, messaging and so on

IBM Domino review by User in Computer Software

"IBM notes has a nice workflow but seems a bit out dated"

What do you like best?

I like that seems to have good flow, after using it for awhile it made sense

What do you dislike?

The email feature is awful, I switched from gmail and have had the hardest time making it work. It doesn't integrate well and the replication is a dumb feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gmail seems so much easier

It keeps track of what I need, and once you learn it it makes sense.

IBM Domino review by <span>Abu Huda, SAP, ITIL l.</span>
Abu Huda, SAP, ITIL l.

"A bundle of features"

What do you like best?

Attachment printing controlling feature is the best feature of Lotus Notes.

What do you dislike?

Calendar view of meeting room booking status sometimes seems to be cumbersome. It takes little longer time to find out who booked any particular room on a particular day.

Version upgradation is going on (from 8.5 to 9.0) to have some extra features like social media integration, email archiving, etc. New features will fulfill some of the EDRMS requirement.

User in Accounting

"Effective but very outdated"

What do you like best?

For such an outdated email platform, Lotus Notes has a very effective messaging service. Sametime allows you to easily show colleagues things you are referencing during conversation and the ability to organize mulitple conversations is very convenient.

What do you dislike?

As stated, Lotus Notes is extremely outdated. The layout severely lacks the intuitiveness of platforms like Gmail. A simple facelift could really help correct this flaw. The platform also lags when starting up using a VPN service. It has taken me up to 20 minutes to connect at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not terrible, but there are better platforms out there. Google has a much better user interface along with many more options. Lotus notes is way too outdated to purchase at this point, but if a company is already using I don't think it is necessary to change.

As an auditor, it is my job to ensure the fairness of financial statements. Having a platform to openly communicate with clients and colleagues alike is of the utmost importance. While Lotus Notes has its flaws, it gets the job done and I have been able to create an immense network using the email platform.

IBM Domino review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"IBM Notes"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes had featured capabilities of their own drives like folder inside their programs which I found convenient.

What do you dislike?

I've used Notes for a long period of time and was used to how notes worked so the change to Outlook/Skype was something to get used to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IBM Notes may be considered a legacy email/meeting versus Outlook but it works just as great.

Notes was our main email/meeting go to but the company made the decision to go with Outlook to be more connected.

"Good software"

What do you like best?

E-mail program. It´s easy to use and have a good design.

What do you dislike?

The e-mail program is kind of heavy to load in the operational system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

That´s a good program.

I read my e-mail and appointments every day in my job.

IBM Domino review by <span>Nithin R.</span>
Nithin R.

"Notes"

What do you like best?

The ease of editing emails is the best available feature

What do you dislike?

Difficulty in search. Archival and retrieval options. Rules. all of these can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IBM notes is a convenient product at administrator level. It is safe and secure and inexpensive.

Mail communication in a secured way at less cost per license.

IBM Domino review by User in Chemicals
User in Chemicals

"Stable program"

What do you like best?

The fact that this is a pretty simple program to use.

What do you dislike?

The happens to be a chance of the login failing for no reason and crashing at some moments

Having multiple email boxes all in one place

User in Accounting

"Confusing dashboard but effective"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about Lotus Notes is its Sametime feature which enables you to instantly communicate with anyone in the network. Although confusing at first, I also enjoy Lotus Notes' calendar feature that automatically populates events onto your page and phone once invited.

What do you dislike?

The programs interface takes some serious time to get used to. It is unlike any program that I have ever used, and I am sure that I still have yet to figure out all of its features. I have also had many connection issues if the computer is idle for the few hours and when accessing VPN.

Communication is the number one feature with Lotus Notes. It is a great way to corroborate with team members, especially when working at client sites. It makes communication effective and efficient.

IBM Domino review by Internal Consultant in Aviation & Aerospace
Internal Consultant in Aviation & Aerospace

"Great secured email application "

What do you like best?

Databases

Global address book

Same time chat

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly features with Tables and Microsoft works applications. I hope IBM may develop some more features similar to Outlook in near future

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes. If any one looking for secure email services, IBM Notes is the one

We use document sign off process to release some of internal propariotory contents. We could create custom reports using database and user request forms. We create lot of user access request forms to validate internal approval and tracing too

IBM Domino review by G2 Crowd User in Consumer Goods
G2 Crowd User in Consumer Goods

"Aging software.. "

What do you like best?

Collaborative approach, sharing features

What do you dislike?

Perhaps this has been improved in the later builds but the interface lacks intuitive function and feels dated.. functions are hard to find or dont exist.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Focus on intuitive functions used in Microsoft products, the market is already familiar with

Cross team collaboration, information sharing and retrieval

IBM Domino review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Good enterprise mail application"

What do you like best?

Nice and easy GUI. Need more mobile friendly and enhance the features. Expected to be more user friendly

What do you dislike?

Laggy and slow. Sometimes it gives annoying problem about connections and database.

Mailing services and access over mobile

IBM Domino review by Administrator in Construction
Administrator in Construction

"Does the Job"

What do you like best?

Managed replication, consistent ACL access throughout data and application environment.

What do you dislike?

Antiquated UI, inflexible, chunky and system resource intensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep your options open and don't get stuck in a single vendor's proprietary way of conducting business.

In-house app dev and data retention conerns.

IBM Domino review by <span>William N.</span>
William N.

"Lotus Notes: From Google Apps to Lotus Notes"

What do you like best?

Not that much. See what I dislike below. Ease of use of the program is subpar.

What do you dislike?

I went to an employer who used Google Apps to one who uses Lotus Notes. The transition has been difficult.

Lotus Notes uses an user id number. It is difficult to remember a contact's user id number; whereas in Google Apps/Gmail, you can search for the users email address by their name. Lotus Notes is difficult to get used to. The calendar feature is not that simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Migrate to a different solution

IBM Domino review by User in Textiles
User in Textiles

"Dissatisfied "

What do you like best?

Not sure can outline positives for this application.

What do you dislike?

Given the opportunity to use both IBM Notes & Outlook, Notes is not the most user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Needs to be user friendly with seamless integrations.

Use it for daily email & Calendar. Not resolving any.

IBM Domino review by <span>Katie N.</span>
Katie N.

"Stuck in 2003"

What do you like best?

Sending and receiving email is straightforward and simple to navigate.

What do you dislike?

The calendar function and meeting invite portion is not streamlined and always ends up malfunctioning in some way.

The user interface is very basic and not visually appealing, it could definitely use a redesign to bring it into this decade.

There is no easy way to search your mail - makes emptying and organizing a pain.

Program runs extremely slow even when your inbox is left than half full.

It makes communication easy. For some with less experience with email clients, this might be an easy program for them to understand.

IBM Domino review by <span>Dave S.</span>
Dave S.

"Lotus Notes is easy and friendly"

What do you like best?

Simple interface where everything is organized in one app

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I get too much spam with little tools to control what I see

Business communications with staff and customers

IBM Domino review by <span>Andrew V.</span>
Andrew V.

"IBM Technology review "

What do you like best?

I like sap and visual analytics. Amy yes.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack of pictures. I did do

How to reduce paper redundancy.

IBM Domino review by G2 Crowd User in Insurance
G2 Crowd User in Insurance

"Bad user experience"

What do you like best?

Nothing. It's not user friendly. it's not easy to log in. Not easy to use

What do you dislike?

Very unfriendly User interface. Hard to log in. Unclear navigation

I have to find business requirements which are usually stored somewhere in lotus notes.

IBM Domino review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"IBM Notes"

What do you like best?

Accessibility and organization. It's as good as the outlook clients I've used in the past.

What do you dislike?

There is a disconnect between more modern features and the client. I don't feel like the software has been updated in 20 years.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gmail or a google server, outlook is cleaner/faster and will do the job.

There needs to be a connection between clients and professionals - Notes solves that for me.

IBM Domino review by User in Oil & Energy
User in Oil & Energy

"Notes Review"

What do you like best?

I like the easy to use folder organization to help keep track of emails pertaining to a certain topic or project.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that you can't drop and drag attachments from the email to the desktop or other location.

Notes is my company's only email application. It allows us to communicate securely with clients.

IBM Domino review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"IBM NOTES"

What do you like best?

Easy of use, nice layout, integration with other applications

What do you dislike?

Not alot of others companies use makes calendar integration not as good as it could be

communication with company across the globe

"IBM NOTES"

What do you like best?

I like that it works smooth and fast and sends email fast and receive them fast to. I like how it has many tools to work with and to organize my emails and work related stuff.

What do you dislike?

there is nothing I dislike about this product it works very good for me.

Planning meetings and other things throughout the year I need to get done.

IBM Domino review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Business Software "

What do you like best?

I am just starting out with this product and haven't really used a similar product to compare it to but I am very comfortable using it. It is straightforward and helps a lot.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet,

i am still getting used to the software so My dislikes are not ironed out yet.

Grammatical errors in memos, invoices and other written documents avoided.

"Slow but Good"

What do you like best?

Being able to use sametime, putting emails in folders.

What do you dislike?

It is often very slow to start and run. Crashes often.

Solving communication issues.

"Lotus Notes"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of being able to use the calendar and clicking on multiple databases.

What do you dislike?

The inability to search for email address in the search bars. In most mail applications the name of the person you are looking for starts to pop up when you start to type their name. This does not happen in certain instances. Somtimes when sending emails, you are limited to the size off the file. I wish an easier sharing application was available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for large companies.

Communication issues are solved through lotus notes

IBM Domino review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"It's so 1990..."

What do you like best?

Deinstallation of all Notes software, the sooner the better

What do you dislike?

Usability in general, non-standard behaviour, awkward user interface

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep off.

To be honest, I hated it from the first moment I saw it until the end. I used it in two different companies. It created more problems than it solved. Even worse than Outlook (and I hate Outlook, too).

"Notes review"

What do you like best?

Functions how it's supposed to for email and meetings.

What do you dislike?

Hard to get email on my phone or offline

Recommendations to others considering the product

None

E-mail, events

IBM Domino review by <span>Anushka C.</span>
Anushka C.

"works for intended purpose"

What do you like best?

The ability to prioritize emails and sort by groups

What do you dislike?

cannot see schedules of others without scheduling a meeting

Communication

"IBM Notes Review"

What do you like best?

Access to databases within Notes desktop

What do you dislike?

Replication process, caps on message sizes

Not sure what you're asking here.

IBM Domino review by <span>Carrie M.</span>
Carrie M.

"Used in a prior company for e-mail management"

What do you like best?

Good e-mail and document repository. Easy to use calendar and connect with others.

What do you dislike?

difficulty in searching. Was hard when we went to archive data off.

none

IBM Domino review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"Easy and Colaborated in one"

What do you like best?

The Email Function, I like the way they display the chat and the email function side by side

What do you dislike?

Nothing much to disklike, except that the setting option is bit confusing

The ease of access is the most important thing to me

IBM Domino review by <span>Dustin W.</span>
Dustin W.

"Worst program ever"

What do you like best?

Nothing. It is the worst program ever. There is nothing I like about this program.

What do you dislike?

Everything. It is bloated, buggy and ugly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

DON'T DO IT!

Quite possibly the worst email/calendar/enterprise application that has ever been created.

User in Accounting

"Challenging transition to company using Lotus Notes"

What do you like best?

Integration of sametime messenger is helpful for connectivity in the workplace.

What do you dislike?

Outdated GUI. Search function is lacking, and often provides false negatives when searching for words and phrases in users' inboxes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look elsewhere.

Lotus Notes functions as a passable email and productivity suite in the workplace, but ultimately has been lapped by other products with more reliable functions and intuitive interfaces.

User in Accounting

"Used for work for 5+ years"

What do you like best?

I love the database abilities. We leveraged a lot of custom database things to store best practices, etc.

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly at all. Very clunky to load and not compatible with other product's calendars.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not sure. They need to

I work with a team that uses calendars and emails everyday between ourselves and fortune 100 clients to help in tax processes.

"IBM Notes for emails"

What do you like best?

Its a good tool for secure emailing, notes, contacts, Calender, etc

What do you dislike?

Its very slow at times and there is no search option available.

Using IBM lotus notes for communication purpose within an organization.

IBM Domino review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Try only if you have no option"

What do you like best?

Only I thing I like is its archiving speed

What do you dislike?

User experience is really bad and doesn't qualify for an enterprise product

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider only if you don't have outlook and options like that

Mail box and calendars

IBM Domino review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"Great programs"

What do you like best?

Calendar and email merged are the things that i have to get done daily.

What do you dislike?

Email and calendar dont sync in ways that would bennefit me more as a user of them.

Greater communication.

"IBM notes"

What do you like best?

Multiple tabs and multiple uses, not simply email.

What do you dislike?

The inbox can easily get overloaded and sometimes my emails get lost.

Easily connects employees with company information.

IBM Domino review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Ibm"

What do you like best?

Really like everything about this. Very integrated with everything that I use. Works well with iPhone.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I don't dislike anything about this product

Recommendations to others considering the product

None

Everything is faster

IBM Domino review by <span>Tom L.</span>
Tom L.

"Cumbersome and Outdated"

What do you like best?

There's a lot more to Lotus Notes than just an email client, but most companies don't make use of the additional functionality and a lot of it has been replaced by more modern tools anyway, so there's really not very much to like about it anymore.

What do you dislike?

It just doesn't compare to Outlook and some of the other email clients that are available. It's very cumbersome to use and has the look and feel of an application that was written 10 years ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This used to be a great tool but there really haven't been many improvements to it since IBM bought it and there are simply a lot of newer / better email clients out there that you should consider first.

IBM Domino review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Good enterprise email"

What do you like best?

Easy to use, calendar syncing when accepts invitation

What do you dislike?

Quite simple looking interface. hard to integrate with personal email.

Used for company email

IBM Domino review by Administrator in Mining & Metals
Administrator in Mining & Metals

"High encryption "

What do you like best?

Encryption and Security

Ability to build custom databases

Ability to run agents

What do you dislike?

Difficult to administer

Limitations to id vaults on cloud

Business applications databases

IBM Domino review by G2 Crowd User in Computer Software
G2 Crowd User in Computer Software

"Antiquated product"

What do you like best?

Local backup was the most convenient otherwise not the best mail client.

What do you dislike?

Clunky interface with poor search capability. Slow loading email.

Mail client and database.

"Lotus Notes "

What do you like best?

I enjoyed the calander feature where I was able to codon are with other people's schedule.

What do you dislike?

The whole email process! And the structure of the calendar.

Audits and I haven't really notice any benefits.

IBM Domino review by <span>Ishwar Lal D.</span>
Ishwar Lal D.

"Best "

What do you like best?

Lotus Notes is best mailing solution.

What do you dislike?

price

end users

IBM Domino review by <span>Charysse S.</span>
Charysse S.

"Must be related to Internet Explorer (ancient)"

What do you like best?

Nothing really. A company I consult for uses it for their email.

What do you dislike?

It's Internet Explorer's annoying and just as old cousin. Slow, cumbersome and outdated. It marks read email as unread if you change computers making it impossible to keep track of your correspondence. Very annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please use something else.

IBM Domino review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Professional Use - Lotus Notes"

What do you like best?

Lotus Notes is an easy-to use, desktop client for business that brings you the people, business applications, and information you need to help you get your work done fast.

What do you dislike?

Time to adapt is long

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it!

IBM Domino review by <span>Lazar T.</span>
Lazar T.

"Can Lotus notes compares to MS"

What do you like best?

It offers extremely effective filters for spam and also blocks all the phishing attempts.

It helps to organize mail in a better manner with its flexible search options and features, such as virtual folders, and mail and conversation grouping.

It also helps in integrating to-do lists, e-mails, social network updates, and scheduling.

What do you dislike?

Owing to a large plethora of options made available to the users, it becomes a little confusing to set up MS Office Outlook.

With Outlook, it is not possible to create flags, rules, and smart folders, which learn by examples.

It lacks flexibility in its RSS feed reader and also does not offer user-friendly message templates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would prefer MS

IBM Domino review by <span>Eugene C.</span>
Eugene C.

"Worked well years ago due to customization, but most enterprises are upgrading beyond"

What do you like best?

I used this for many years while I was with a leading management consulting firm, and my wife's mid-sized biotech also used it when she first started. It was a good legacy platform due to the high degree of customization that it provided but many companies are now upgrading beyond.

What do you dislike?

Although the UI has improved over the years, the user experience still isn't as good as the alternatives -- Microsoft, Google, Apple.. Typically requires a Lotus Notes admin

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is really a package for large enterprises with dedicated Lotus Notes experience looking to customize their application. Even then, there are likely a number of other, better options unless there is a legacy issue.

IBM Domino review by <span>Rusty P.</span>
Rusty P.

"Needs to be overhauled"

What do you like best?

I used Lotus Notes for several years at a previous employer--I really did enjoy a lot of the functionality that it had. It also had a very good integration with several of our business applications.

What do you dislike?

It is becoming old technology very quickly. Most applications are written with Outlook/Exchange in mind these days. Although this works really well with certain applications, we constantly found issues with compatibility.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are already on it, then make sure you are running the latest version--if not, you should probably consider the Microsoft line or a hosted solution.

IBM Domino review by <span>Grigori E.</span>
Grigori E.

"Guys either improve it or leave it"

What do you like best?

It was great 7-8 years ago, but that period we didn't have any email giants, so.. but some of my partners are still using it for security reasons, and it has good integration with AD

What do you dislike?

poor features, not very trendy...

Recommendations to others considering the product

make it a bit modern and with better UI/UX

IBM Domino review by <span>Samir Adams G.</span>
Samir Adams G.

"Powerful collaboration application platform"

What do you like best?

Rapid application development for varied apps.

Broad capabilities including database, workflow, messaging, offline access, community, et. al.

What do you dislike?

User interface and experience is always lagged behind.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand that it's a platform. While email is included as an out-of-the-box application, it's strength really is in easy, rapid app dev by IT or business units.

Learn more about IBM Domino

IBM Domino Videos

IBM Domino Downloads

Learning about IBM Domino?

* We monitor all IBM Domino reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.