IBM Domino

IBM Domino

2.8

IBM® Domino® is a platform for hosting business-focused collaboration applications. With Domino, you reduce IT infrastructure and associated administration costs by increasing automation and decreasing hardware resources. Automation, monitoring, tuning and diagnostic features can improve productivity, boost operational efficiency and enhance administrative decision-making and system availability. You can also tie multiple IBM Domino servers together to create a high-performance application environment.

Work for IBM Domino?

Learning about IBM Domino?

IBM Domino Reviews

Ask IBM Domino a Question
Showing 89 IBM Domino reviews
IBM Domino review by Federico O.
Federico O.

"Great Email Client"

What do you like best?

I've been using the Notes client for over ten years and I'm convinced it's a great client for managing email, calendar and contacts but above all for collaborating in teams. In particular, my favorite feature is the possibility to develop customized applications (databases) that help daily productivity

What do you dislike?

The only feature that could be improved is the graphical interface. In fact, while I find it excellent, the opinion of the majority of users is that it is "ugly". By comparing it to other mail clients, users do not put it as the first choice for that reason.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are no recommendations that I deem particularly necessary. It is an excellent product for the purposes for which it is born. In daily use it allows you to work without interruptions, both online and offline, using its excellent replication mechanism. It has a great integrated chat for instant communications and its client on Android and iOS works very well.

IBM Notes allows me to collaborate better with my colleagues, allows me to collaborate with them especially at a distance with a speed and immediacy that I can not find in any other product.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about IBM Domino
IBM Domino review by Drew A.
Drew A.

"A Program That Has Outlived Its Time"

What do you like best?

The Sametime IM feature is pretty good, if a little bare-boned. I like that it automatically saves chats so that I can go back to them like I can with email.

Filing emails with folders is easy enough, and the "Send and File" option makes it easy to keep everything together.

It's easy to have multiple inboxes open at once.

The ability to share calendars with other employees so that I can find them when they're not in their office is really useful.

What do you dislike?

The search function doesn't always find email or chat history that I know is there.

The UI is pretty awful. It looks like something straight out of the late 90s. And this is recently upgraded version.

Archiving is...uneven at best.

Bunch of extra tools I have never used.

It's unnecessarily complicated to set up an out-of-office reply.

It's a resource hog. Having it running all day eats up a decent amount of my CPU's memory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No need to go with Notes unless you have a need to build custom databases that tie in intimately with your email system. Even then, there's probably another system that ties in better to Outlook or another email system.

I understand why my organization originally went with IBM Notes. The database abilities allowed for an all-in-one solution. But now, Notes is so bloated and a resource hog compared to Outlook, and so many databases have been transitioned to other areas that it is really irrelevant. We are moving to Outlook later this year.

What Low-Code Development Platforms solution do you use?

IBM Domino review by Nate H.
Nate H.

"Basic email and calendar app and that's about it"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes gets the job done when it comes to email and calendaring.

What do you dislike?

Notes has fallen way behind even most of the free consumer email platforms not to mention the enterprise platforms it competes with.

From an end user perspective here are some issues that Notes has:

** Notes can't search well. The default search option looks only in a single field (subject, email sender, etc.) instead of across all text in the email like you'd expect it to. Consequently it's more difficult to find something you need to.

** Composition tools are basic. Notes doesn't fully undo some actions when composing email. So often you find yourself having to start from scratch because there was some composition feature used that can't be undone. It's typography is fairly poor (almost nonexistent leading/kerning and list/bullet management) so more lengthy emails look rather unprofessional.

** Fit and finish of the desktop client shows age. Notes just looks and feels old. Icons are often small and outdated. Spellcheck has no way to ignore words that start with capital letters (like names) so it's constantly asking about first names of people I email which is annoying. Dialogues like the "Add new calendar entry" leave a lot of white space and have small difficult to use fields for important information like start/end times.

** Calendar is more difficult than other systems. For some mystifying reason Notes will not allow you to forward a calendar invite you've accepted to a colleague making it more challenging to collaborate with a dynamic team. Notes calendar doesn't play well with other systems so most often a separate verification needs to be sent to ensure the individual received the meeting invite (this is especially true of meeting updates).

** It lacks integration. It's rare these days to see any new app or system integrate with Notes so it stays very siloed where other email platforms are doing deep line of business integration (CRM, video conferencing, etc.) and social integration (facebook, twitter, slack, etc.).

** Mobile and desktop syncing issues. There are some well know issues that involve reading email ,calendar invites especially, on the mobile client (IBM Traveler) that cause them to be removed from the default views of the desktop client. Basically important email can "disappear" when using the mobile client. The mobile client also doesn't allow integration with other mobile apps so calendars, for example, can't be unified on a smart phone; the Notes calendar won't feed into any other mobile calendaring app.

At want point I think IBM Notes was an innovative product. Not anymore. It does email and calendaring.

IBM Domino review by User in Food & Beverages
User in Food & Beverages

"The worst piece of software I have ever come across"

What do you like best?

Absolutely nothing... actually let me be fair... it's quite useful being able to put attachments at relevant points in an email and the room booking system via calendar is good. Apart from that it's shocking.

What do you dislike?

Where to start? User interface would have been out of date in 1995. Absolutely incomprehensible error messages. Terrible archiving. Awful search. Hopeless at handling attachments. Meeting invite system very poor and doesn't integrate well with other programmes. Nightmare to add people to your address book. IBM Verse (the phone app) is not good at all. Takes up a massive space to run. It's slow, bloated, and massively reduces productivity. It has no redeeming features at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't!

None. IBM Notes has caused many more problems that it has solved and fortunately a new IT director has seen the light and is in the process of binning it. My recommendation to anyone thinking of using it is to sack whoever had the idea, and revert to typewriters and sending letters as that will be much more effective than Notes.

IBM Domino review by Pritam D.
Pritam D.

"After 1 year of use Review on IBM Note pros and cons"

What do you like best?

The best this is like it is very simple to use no complication in functionality and it will give you notification for meeting and scheduled work. Along with that they are proving chat functionality also you can chat with who all are working with you.from calendar you can check your daily routine and set up meeting with others. Good email sorting option are there you can easily customize your email box according to your usability and sort it by date ,month and more .From pricing prospective it is good in comparison to other application but its required lot of modification to make it user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Its needs to be updated i fell like its very heavy and slow , Interface also not that great so essential need of enhancement.In chat window also in comparison to other application it need improvement so that people can find it more interesting.some functionality password change and all are bit complex its need to be fix.

calendar view is okay other things needs improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommending like if you are using it then okay you can go with it but if you are thinking to switch ti IBM note then i will suggest better to go with outlook that is more better that IBM note and good customer support also.

we use IBM note for official communication like mail ,chatting with employee with in the organisation and set up meeting with the people using calender.

IBM Domino review by Emma H.
Emma H.

"IBM Notes is great for email"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes is great for email. It allows me to store my contacts and view my schedule in my calendar. There is also a To-DO list icon and a notebook all on the home page so it's easy to access this info. I am able to add my signature to each email which adds both to my own brand and to the brand of my company. I am also able to sort my emails out in files, such as a Promotional file and a Record file. I am also able to save email templates to use when needed.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that emails are automatically deleted after a certain number of days if they are not "tagged" as a Record. If I forget to tag something, I can lose valuable information this way. IBM Notes is pretty simple (white and blue), but it would be nice to be able to customize it by color or look. I am not aware of the ability to do this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall, IBM Notes is easy to use and works great for email. It is not significantly different from others of its kind, but it serves its purpose for email.

Email is a crucial part of my work so relying on email to correspond with different clients, as well as my coworkers, is of importance. I have to be able to access my email throughout the day to answer questions and provide insight and support. There are many different departments in my company, and email is one of the best ways to get in touch with someone, especially if they are unavailable for a call or IM. Additionally, the email templates save time, and the various folders allow me to sort my emails so they are easy to find when I need them. The calendar function allows me to keep track of my schedule.

IBM Domino review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Notes is dinosaur of email"

What do you like best?

Enables tight integration with organization tools and templates e.g., file sharing, messenger. Notes is also generally reliable and a stable software with very few instances of crashes/ bugs.

It also provides good calendar functionality in general (excl. the fact that I cannot forward invites). The calendar views are easy to view and manage.

What do you dislike?

Not designed for modern collaboration. You cant even forward an invite!! To invite additional attendees, when you dont own the invite, you need to create a duplicate calendar invite, and obviously if the original invite moves around, you will need to move the duplicate invite manually. Very painful.

Another problem is that its replication function (i.e. email sync) is very slow and infrequent. I need to manually press Replicate and Sync several times to send an email in my outbox or to receive and email on notes which I already see on my iphone mailbox (both the devices are connected to the same network, so its not an issue with network speed)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont even think about it! You will instantly move back 20 years in time if you switch to Notes. I recommend using other tools such as Outlook, slack etc. for your business.

While the software is stable and reliable, it simply not user friendly enough and its design and features are out of sync with the needs of the modern professional.

IBM notes has been our primary email client for several decades. Benefits are cross-firm familiarity with the platform, and seamless support.

IBM Domino review by Saugandh K.
Saugandh K.

"Good IM"

What do you like best?

The best was it's link with the connection's page (It is kind of a social network for companies). They are both are in sync and helps in messaging or mailing a person immediately found in the connection page. The options are plenty to customize the mail sending and receiving option. Calendar sync also works well.

What do you dislike?

The UI can be improved a bit. It gives a very technical and non friendly look when we open the application for the first time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Will recommend if it needs to be used by a large domain company.

We are connecting with everyone in the bank with the help of IBM notes. Messaging and mailing is the main use in the bank.

IBM Domino review by John W.
John W.

"Okay as a software, but feels outdated this day and age "

What do you like best?

Can drag and drop files into emails

Integrated sametime chat

What do you dislike?

Freezes and/or slows down all the time

Really complicated system for archiving emails

Cumbersome interface

overall feels like it works, but just barely is obsolete in this day and age

Bunch of extra tools I never need or use

Calendar too outdated to be of practical use

Recommendations to others considering the product

I ended up using my own separate email program and other things for file sharing. Was too difficult to keep up with ibm notes

I ended up forwarding my really important emails to a personal email cause too hard to archive. But a lot of emails i can't because has sensitive information. So no choice but to lose them or try to figure out how to save them since my company auto deletes things after 3 months.

Official email service used at work

Also same time communication

IBM Domino review by Emily P.
Emily P.

"If you like email clients that act like they're from 1995, this one's for you."

What do you like best?

It gets the job done, and the web interface as opposed to the native client is better. I do like that I can look at the calendars of other employees to see when they are available for meetings.

What do you dislike?

Searching within Notes is frustrating. The Citrix or native clients are clunky and not user friendly. Finding anything that doesn't pertain to email is near impossible. I've used this product for 13 years and I've still never figured out how to put vacation on my calendar without it being a meeting. The trash function could be a lot better. The spam system could be a lot better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not recommend this. Go with something like Google Apps. I think you'll be happier for it.

Our company uses Notes for email, calendars, and to store some employee information such as the online library and handbooks. If it worked better, it would be great for this, but as it is, it could be better.

IBM Domino review by Juan Ignacio G.
Juan Ignacio G.

"Useful but not very friendly"

What do you like best?

It provides solutions for contact with clients that are effective, the writing of mails is fluid and it loads fast when starting.

What do you dislike?

Some features that are key to the tool are hard to find as the configuration of the personal signature and the out of office. The chat should improve the interface and the access to the options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a tool that is essential once you get used to its use; It is not very intuitive but the main functions for which it is contracted, it fulfills them without problems.

I use it daily in my work and it is my main source of contact both with external clients and with my co-workers; we also give a high use to organize calls and meetings both external and internal.

IBM Domino review by User in Apparel & Fashion
User in Apparel & Fashion

"Very Old School"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes is very secure and with our spam filter, not much gets through. The design is very classic, so it's pretty easy to understand what every icon means. If you used Windows 98, this will be nothing new for you.

Safe for companies.

What do you dislike?

It is too old school. Using IBM Notes is like a nostalgic email service that you would use for something retro. Saving an image or file from an email is so painful. The load time is really bad. Hard to reply to messages without getting all these error codes popping up. The search tool is not that great. So many weird unused features available.

The worst part of all is trying to set up the email, so you can receive emails on your phone. Also have to have IBM Notes loaded on computer to view. Not convenient.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider other options before committing to this dinosaur.

Communication is just always key in business. There is not a huge benefit to IBM Notes, besides being our email provider. We end up using Slack or Skype for most communication and file transfering.

IBM Domino review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Mature product with good life still left"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and setup, especially as a developer. Can quickly put together databases with minimal effort. Because Lotus Notes was first a mail system, can include document routing and approvals with minimal effort. Development code, Lotus Script is very much like Visual Basic making it easy for developers to pick up and run with.

What do you dislike?

Database size limitations. When databases grow large the performance goes down dramatically. This is why they introduced the db backend, but that adds a level of complexity and most developers did not adopt the technology.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely a good product, quick and easy to work with. A bit of a learning curve because it's not Microsoft.

Quick and easy app development. Reusable templates is fantastic. Develop your set of templates and reuse them for other apps. Templates then cascade updates to all your applications, no matter how many they are. Distributed servers and database replication also give awesome performance to sites no matter where they are or what the internet connection quality. Something Microsoft and others have never been able to figure out.

IBM Domino review by Lauren R.
Lauren R.

"Great Program"

What do you like best?

What I like best about IBM notes is that it is easy to learn how to use the program and all of its features. You have access to multiple inboxes at once instead of having to log in to them all, they are all easily located on the home screen. The calendar is easy to use and schedule meetings. The address book feature has been very easy to use and locate who in our company that I am trying to locate. The IM feature has been extremely helpful and has streamlined getting in touch with coworkers that may be currently on the phone.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I dislike is that is does freeze from time to time. However, I haven't seen a program that doesn't freeze.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend IBM notes to other people and companies in need of upgrading their email programs for work. It has streamlined the process for being able to get in touch with coworkers for problem solution.

I have been able to get in touch faster with other departments and people within our company to resolve issues faster with the IM feature. We are able to send out meeting notification and the calendar settings allows me to set an alarm for a reminder.

IBM Domino review by User in Research
User in Research

"Databases with a bad email client on the top"

What do you like best?

It sends email (just about) - seriously there is not much i 'like' about it. But it does the job i suppose in terms of sending email, managing it in to folders and being able to work. The whole experience just sucks though.

What do you dislike?

The entire user experience is just shocking. Everything is needlessly hard or unintuitive and when you compare it other email solutions it's clearly substandard. It has just enough functionality in it to meet IT groups basic requirements and it's cheap. Unfortunately that means you inflict it on a workforce that literally wastes hundreds of hours working around the crappy interface.

Specific things that really suck:

Viewing threads as conversations - just about every other product does this effectively

Mail rules - So bloody rigid that you have to re work them constantly and even then they only work half the time

Searching - for anything is a bloody nightmare

Calendar - just everything in general is pants but repeating meetings and large meetings are particularly hard to manage

Any links to the Connections package are just clunky and hateful from a user perspective

Recommendations to others considering the product

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Go and get a proper solution - it's cheap for a reason

I guess i'm solving the need to get email but that's about it. Sametime is the chat option - equally crap compared to Messenger or Slack.

Benefits realized are all negative - it's a drain on my time and a source of constant frustration

IBM Domino review by Ariel C.
Ariel C.

""Slow"tus Notes"

What do you like best?

I get my emails, generally, so that's a bonus. The calendar invite integration is decent.

What do you dislike?

It's sooo slow to start up and to close out. Also, the search functionality is absurdly poor. Every time I look for something, it takes ten minutes to find it. The folder structure can be difficult to arrange and rearrange. The ability to flag items isn't helpful since you cannot change the flag color. I've tried changing colors to help me see what's unread or needs to be worked on, but it hasn't helped all that much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't. Run away.

Lotus Notes is our way of internal communication, as well as with customers. Lotus Notes is reliable, to an extent, and with the global address book, it simplifies business processes.

IBM Domino review by Jerry H.
Jerry H.

"Works well only if you know how"

What do you like best?

Calendar feature is well designed. Delegation works well. Even though the replication is very confusing, it does serve a good backup purpose. Good for user management, database management and server management. Compare to other platforms, it is more secure.

What do you dislike?

Very confusing replication. Not easy to set up a database application to be used. Break easily with corrupted local files and the Email application wont work properly. Sametime connection is so bad. The build-in internet browser barely work for the more advanced web pages, and there is no way to install extensions and plugins.

This is company-wide used platform

IBM Domino review by User in Environmental Services
User in Environmental Services

"Respectable email client"

What do you like best?

Sametime instant messaging was a great way to informally reach out to colleagues. It was great that it had searchable chat history. Notes also allowed access to other workgroup mail boxes as well which was very convenient.

What do you dislike?

Compatibility issues with meeting invites sent from Outlook as all sorts of weird issues were experienced e.g. meetings not showing up in calendar or showing up multiple times.

The ability to stay connected is vital in today's fast paced environment. E-mail is one way to communicate, but having instant message adds another form of more timely communications that can provide chat history, which would not have been available through a phone call.

IBM Domino review by User in Government Administration
User in Government Administration

"Supposed to be more of a collaboration environment than a mail client but fails to deliver"

What do you like best?

Honestly, there is absolutely no feature that I like and that I will miss if I move to another similar software.

The only decent feature is the calendar

What do you dislike?

Extremely slow search inside mailbox. After a year of keeping e-mails in your mailbox the search becomes practically unusable.

Bad search on contacts. Sometimes you have to search with the correct order of first/last name etc.

Very unintuitive menu. Even for the simplest settings you don't really know where to navigate to find them. Google is your friend.

Ununtuitive UI, there are times that actual objects (such as contacts) appear as plain text items but when you right click on them there is more functionality).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try before you buy. It can be really challenging for people used to Microsoft products.

e-mail, Calendar, simple business applications

IBM Domino review by Rachel  M.
Rachel M.

"Web based IBM Notes"

What do you like best?

I love that we can access our County email from any web portal that’s secured including our personal devices

What do you dislike?

I don’t dislike anything so far. It’s very user friendly and offers lots of features

I love the fact that we can check our County email from any web portal and device.

IBM Domino review by Vittorio O.
Vittorio O.

"From Lotus Notes to Domino 2025"

What do you like best?

It is a very good and durable technology we have 25 years of experience and looking forward.

Some important success stories in this period!!

What do you dislike?

Ibm marketing under estimate the product for some long years. This was a very big problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm very happy with Ibm Notes and Domino and my customers too!

It is a very complete platform to do business so I al collaboration. It allow to solve a wide range of business issues. Obviously it have Also the email.

"Notes for IBM "

What do you like best?

I like all the options for tools and widgets you can use to personalize your system for mail and beyond. I like it’s func.

What do you dislike?

name changes of users can be difficult within the system itself for distribution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It does not work with Microsoft and other systems to integrate but its professional enough to stand alone. Works great for large organizations to fit the needs of many.

Professionals love notes because it has tons of functionality and personalization. Rule building is one of the big time savers to help staff Prioritize and stay organized. Love that it comes with Urgent options and flags to note importance of messages. Also in calendar the reminders are often a life saver when you have busy meeting schedules.

IBM Domino review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"IBM Notes Review"

What do you like best?

I like how easily I can store information with regard to my daily calendar and meetings.Notes client upgrades are easily managed with a built-in SmartUpgrade feature. While not flawless, it automates updates even for users operating over very low bandwidth connections. That you can use this product offline is even better.

What do you dislike?

The client update process should be automated more. It sucks to have to constantly approve and maintain updated on my own. I would like to see the Notes client update quietly and quickly more like an Adobe software update (even those are not the best; perhaps if the updates happened automatically like Apple updates on an iPhone, say between 2am and 5am without the need for approval). If an update fails it should automatically try again without prompting the user over and over (much like android, this becomes quite obnoxious).

Use is primarily for calendar. Helps maintain and organize a schedule. I don't really use it for mail, but I am aware of a lot of people in the office that do.

IBM Domino review by Samuel F.
Samuel F.

"Lotus Notes Review"

What do you like best?

I use lotus notes which houses our old email information and also some data which isn't shared with other systems.

What do you dislike?

Lotus Notes isn't used as much since we use Office 365 now. I would consider this software an older sofware. Been using if for over 8 years

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend looking at other software before committing to Lotus Notes. A lot of companies are looking at cloud based software or software that is more portable.

Using software for storage and data purposes only.

IBM Domino review by Jennifer S.
Jennifer S.

"Notes needs a real upgrade!"

What do you like best?

The spam filter is great. True spam emails end up in the Spam folder. It is very rare that a "real" email filters into spam.

What do you dislike?

Notes is SO SLOW and crashes often. Notes needs more flag color options. They also need an overall facelift and feature upgrade. I really feel Outlook has surpassed Notes.

Notes has a decent SameTime interface. It's so simple, it needs no explanation.

IBM Domino review by User in Financial Services

"Love it!"

What do you like best?

It is very organized, the window pane has everything you need and has the ability to be modified based on your own preference of what you would like to see (date/calendar/mail/buddylist, calendar/tasks, etc). The chat feature on there is the best!

What do you dislike?

It lags and freezes often, sometimes things are quirky (reply/fwd buttons don't work as should)

E-mail communication, internal instant message communication.

IBM Domino review by User in Human Resources
User in Human Resources

"IBM Notes formally IBM Notes Experience"

What do you like best?

Recall message ability...I love that its easy to recall a message once I realized it was sent to the wrong person and it give you a recall report to tell if the recall was successful. Of course the recall is only useful internally or for other using Notes. Not sure how well it does for users outside of Notes.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot of businesses seem to use it. Signature line limited

Have an easy to use, secure email, calendaring, and collaborative enterprise system for our employees

IBM Domino review by G2 Crowd User in Staffing and Recruiting
G2 Crowd User in Staffing and Recruiting

"staying organized"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use and it does keep you organized. Finding notes later is great and transforming them in to the project is fantastic

What do you dislike?

It's a very clumsy software. the learning curve was somewhat strange and you had to watch a lot of help videos on You Tube to get up and running

Recommendations to others considering the product

make time to learn to set the software up properly before diving in. It will save you time in the long run

Big meetings where there are a lot of little details that could be overlooked in the note taking process.

IBM Domino review by Travis D.
Travis D.

"The Gold Standard...10 Years ago"

What do you like best?

Lotus Notes brought secure, encrypted email and communication to corporations and managed all of the users tasks and communication very well. Now, the user base has fallen as people have transferred to use the Microsoft Outlook and Lync clients. Lotus notes is still very functional and performs well, it just needs a face lift to be able to compete.

What do you dislike?

The interface is very dated. Aside from this, those going from Microsoft branded products will miss the integration that Outlook provides with the Office Suite. Lotus Notes needs to rebrand itself to be able to compete, because corporations are rapidly leaving it behind.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot but also try out the Microsoft Outlook and Lync programs before deciding on the option that most coincides with your business/user needs.

Calendar and Task Management

Instant Messaging

Lotus Notes does all of the communication tasks one would expect well and provides pass word protection for email accounts and the program itself as added security.

IBM Domino review by Administrator in Hospital & Health Care
Administrator in Hospital & Health Care

"Missed the workflow functionality"

What do you like best?

Work flow functionality. This original development concept of Lotus Notes was as a Work Flow solution with an integrated e-mail and calendaring function.

We used Lotus Notes for Work flow, e-mail, Calendar and ISO documentation base for processes and procedures in relation to ISO9001.

What do you dislike?

Can be a resource hug - needs a robust infrastructure to server its requirements.

Our setup was multiple servers linked together to achieve a system that is fast a reliable for worldwide operations. The company had more than a 100,000 people worldwide and relies on the robustness of Lotus Notes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the workflow functionality it was originally designed for - you will love it.

ISO documentation, process controls. Had quick turnaround times.

IBM Domino review by User in Information Technology and Services

"It does not compare to microsoft outlook"

What do you like best?

There is nothing on here that Outlook doesn't already have

What do you dislike?

I for one would never go for IBM Notes. I find issues/ errors happening all the time, system crashes or things don't update as they should. It is embarrassing when you are trying to project manage and meeting invites and cancellations sometimes do not go through

Recommendations to others considering the product

I do not recommend

None to speak of.

IBM Domino review by User in Higher Education

"IBM Notes is a really well designed email and collaboration tool"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes is very well designed and very stable as an email tool. I have been using the software for quite a while for to-do lists, emails and other applications such as calendars and maintaining notes. Its a great tool for collaboration and for group activity scheduling. Also works really well with difference OS

What do you dislike?

Nothing much really. The integration with other softwares could be better and the email functions could be updated a lot at par with Google email functions

Collaborations and group activities schedules. Emails. Maintaining tasks lists and other to-do lists.

IBM Domino review by Sowmitra S.
Sowmitra S.

"It is good and user friendly."

What do you like best?

receiving content and system is good. very smooth and kind of very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

It did not upgrade the system frequently. So need to upgrade daily basis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Microsoft outlook.

Mail system is being used for business problems.

IBM Domino review by User

"Good software but not the best"

What do you like best?

It's a tool with enough applications and functions for a good work in the office, all in one only tool.

What do you dislike?

It's in "Stone Age" in comparation with MS Outlook for manage e-mails. Not even you can search the e-mails very well through body.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Add it this: do it simple and do it friendly.

Using e-mail, we have communication to work, and we know the Human Resources and other departments information with the other applications.

IBM Domino review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"User Friendly program"

What do you like best?

Ability to schedule meetings & send notifications to other users, and reminders come up in emails.

What do you dislike?

I really wish that I could schedule emails to be sent at a future date. No one I've asked has said this is possible.

Primarily just use the program for calendar and email. Not sure how that translates for solving problems. But there are benefits to having a program that syncs calendar and email like this.

IBM Domino review by Sophie L.
Sophie L.

"Good communication tool"

What do you like best?

The software can replicate emails so it can be accessed offline. The sametime chat allows easy and secure communication internally. The calendar function allows for room booking system so it is easy to set-up meetings.

What do you dislike?

When there are issues sending emails, it takes time before customer support is able to fix the issue.

The chat function provide an easier way to communicate with colleagues who are not in the same location.

IBM Domino review by Vitali R.
Vitali R.

"love IBM notes "

What do you like best?

it has everything you need to run business start from notes to emails

What do you dislike?

can be a bit complicated to use for new users

Recommendations to others considering the product

it's not very easy to use, but if you get to know it well it has big potential for business

enterprise email client integrates social collaboration, messaging and so on

IBM Domino review by User in Computer Software

"IBM notes has a nice workflow but seems a bit out dated"

What do you like best?

I like that seems to have good flow, after using it for awhile it made sense

What do you dislike?

The email feature is awful, I switched from gmail and have had the hardest time making it work. It doesn't integrate well and the replication is a dumb feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gmail seems so much easier

It keeps track of what I need, and once you learn it it makes sense.

IBM Domino review by Abu Huda, SAP, ITIL l.
Abu Huda, SAP, ITIL l.

"A bundle of features"

What do you like best?

Attachment printing controlling feature is the best feature of Lotus Notes.

What do you dislike?

Calendar view of meeting room booking status sometimes seems to be cumbersome. It takes little longer time to find out who booked any particular room on a particular day.

Version upgradation is going on (from 8.5 to 9.0) to have some extra features like social media integration, email archiving, etc. New features will fulfill some of the EDRMS requirement.

IBM Domino review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Effective but very outdated"

What do you like best?

For such an outdated email platform, Lotus Notes has a very effective messaging service. Sametime allows you to easily show colleagues things you are referencing during conversation and the ability to organize mulitple conversations is very convenient.

What do you dislike?

As stated, Lotus Notes is extremely outdated. The layout severely lacks the intuitiveness of platforms like Gmail. A simple facelift could really help correct this flaw. The platform also lags when starting up using a VPN service. It has taken me up to 20 minutes to connect at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not terrible, but there are better platforms out there. Google has a much better user interface along with many more options. Lotus notes is way too outdated to purchase at this point, but if a company is already using I don't think it is necessary to change.

As an auditor, it is my job to ensure the fairness of financial statements. Having a platform to openly communicate with clients and colleagues alike is of the utmost importance. While Lotus Notes has its flaws, it gets the job done and I have been able to create an immense network using the email platform.

IBM Domino review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"IBM Notes"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes had featured capabilities of their own drives like folder inside their programs which I found convenient.

What do you dislike?

I've used Notes for a long period of time and was used to how notes worked so the change to Outlook/Skype was something to get used to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IBM Notes may be considered a legacy email/meeting versus Outlook but it works just as great.

Notes was our main email/meeting go to but the company made the decision to go with Outlook to be more connected.

"Good software"

What do you like best?

E-mail program. It´s easy to use and have a good design.

What do you dislike?

The e-mail program is kind of heavy to load in the operational system.

Recommendations to others considering the product

That´s a good program.

I read my e-mail and appointments every day in my job.

IBM Domino review by Nithin R.
Nithin R.

"Notes"

What do you like best?

The ease of editing emails is the best available feature

What do you dislike?

Difficulty in search. Archival and retrieval options. Rules. all of these can be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IBM notes is a convenient product at administrator level. It is safe and secure and inexpensive.

Mail communication in a secured way at less cost per license.

IBM Domino review by User in Chemicals
User in Chemicals

"Stable program"

What do you like best?

The fact that this is a pretty simple program to use.

What do you dislike?

The happens to be a chance of the login failing for no reason and crashing at some moments

Having multiple email boxes all in one place

IBM Domino review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Confusing dashboard but effective"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about Lotus Notes is its Sametime feature which enables you to instantly communicate with anyone in the network. Although confusing at first, I also enjoy Lotus Notes' calendar feature that automatically populates events onto your page and phone once invited.

What do you dislike?

The programs interface takes some serious time to get used to. It is unlike any program that I have ever used, and I am sure that I still have yet to figure out all of its features. I have also had many connection issues if the computer is idle for the few hours and when accessing VPN.

Communication is the number one feature with Lotus Notes. It is a great way to corroborate with team members, especially when working at client sites. It makes communication effective and efficient.

IBM Domino review by Internal Consultant in Aviation & Aerospace
Internal Consultant in Aviation & Aerospace

"Great secured email application "

What do you like best?

Databases

Global address book

Same time chat

What do you dislike?

Not user friendly features with Tables and Microsoft works applications. I hope IBM may develop some more features similar to Outlook in near future

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yes. If any one looking for secure email services, IBM Notes is the one

We use document sign off process to release some of internal propariotory contents. We could create custom reports using database and user request forms. We create lot of user access request forms to validate internal approval and tracing too

IBM Domino review by G2 Crowd User in Consumer Goods
G2 Crowd User in Consumer Goods

"Aging software.. "

What do you like best?

Collaborative approach, sharing features

What do you dislike?

Perhaps this has been improved in the later builds but the interface lacks intuitive function and feels dated.. functions are hard to find or dont exist.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Focus on intuitive functions used in Microsoft products, the market is already familiar with

Cross team collaboration, information sharing and retrieval

IBM Domino review by User in Information Technology and Services

"Good enterprise mail application"

What do you like best?

Nice and easy GUI. Need more mobile friendly and enhance the features. Expected to be more user friendly

What do you dislike?

Laggy and slow. Sometimes it gives annoying problem about connections and database.

Mailing services and access over mobile

IBM Domino review by Administrator in Construction
Administrator in Construction

"Does the Job"

What do you like best?

Managed replication, consistent ACL access throughout data and application environment.

What do you dislike?

Antiquated UI, inflexible, chunky and system resource intensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep your options open and don't get stuck in a single vendor's proprietary way of conducting business.

In-house app dev and data retention conerns.

IBM Domino review by William N.
William N.

"Lotus Notes: From Google Apps to Lotus Notes"

What do you like best?

Not that much. See what I dislike below. Ease of use of the program is subpar.

What do you dislike?

I went to an employer who used Google Apps to one who uses Lotus Notes. The transition has been difficult.

Lotus Notes uses an user id number. It is difficult to remember a contact's user id number; whereas in Google Apps/Gmail, you can search for the users email address by their name. Lotus Notes is difficult to get used to. The calendar feature is not that simple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Migrate to a different solution

None

Learn more about IBM Domino

IBM Domino Videos

Learning about IBM Domino?

* We monitor all IBM Domino reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.