IBM Domino

IBM Domino is the email client software of the IBM Notes and Domino® client/server platform. It provides email, calendar and contact management capabilities, but because it works with the Domino server, it can also integrate IBM collaboration tools and business applications. You can track projects, collaborate on tasks, assemble teams, share files and more—directly from your inbox. Transform every-day email into an operational center that helps you work more productively and achieve better business results.

Work for IBM Domino?

Learning about IBM Domino?

IBM Domino Reviews

Ask IBM Domino a Question
Showing 88 IBM Domino reviews
IBM Domino review by <span>Drew A.</span>
Drew A.

"A Program That Has Outlived Its Time"

What do you like best?

The Sametime IM feature is pretty good, if a little bare-boned. I like that it automatically saves chats so that I can go back to them like I can with email.

Filing emails with folders is easy enough, and the "Send and File" option makes it easy to keep everything together.

It's easy to have multiple inboxes open at once.

The ability to share calendars with other employees so that I can find them when they're not in their office is really useful.

What do you dislike?

The search function doesn't always find email or chat history that I know is there.

The UI is pretty awful. It looks like something straight out of the late 90s. And this is recently upgraded version.

Archiving is...uneven at best.

Bunch of extra tools I have never used.

It's unnecessarily complicated to set up an out-of-office reply.

It's a resource hog. Having it running all day eats up a decent amount of my CPU's memory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

No need to go with Notes unless you have a need to build custom databases that tie in intimately with your email system. Even then, there's probably another system that ties in better to Outlook or another email system.

I understand why my organization originally went with IBM Notes. The database abilities allowed for an all-in-one solution. But now, Notes is so bloated and a resource hog compared to Outlook, and so many databases have been transitioned to other areas that it is really irrelevant. We are moving to Outlook later this year.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about IBM Domino
IBM Domino review by <span>Nate H.</span>
Nate H.

"Basic email and calendar app and that's about it"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes gets the job done when it comes to email and calendaring.

What do you dislike?

Notes has fallen way behind even most of the free consumer email platforms not to mention the enterprise platforms it competes with.

From an end user perspective here are some issues that Notes has:

** Notes can't search well. The default search option looks only in a single field (subject, email sender, etc.) instead of across all text in the email like you'd expect it to. Consequently it's more difficult to find something you need to.

** Composition tools are basic. Notes doesn't fully undo some actions when composing email. So often you find yourself having to start from scratch because there was some composition feature used that can't be undone. It's typography is fairly poor (almost nonexistent leading/kerning and list/bullet management) so more lengthy emails look rather unprofessional.

** Fit and finish of the desktop client shows age. Notes just looks and feels old. Icons are often small and outdated. Spellcheck has no way to ignore words that start with capital letters (like names) so it's constantly asking about first names of people I email which is annoying. Dialogues like the "Add new calendar entry" leave a lot of white space and have small difficult to use fields for important information like start/end times.

** Calendar is more difficult than other systems. For some mystifying reason Notes will not allow you to forward a calendar invite you've accepted to a colleague making it more challenging to collaborate with a dynamic team. Notes calendar doesn't play well with other systems so most often a separate verification needs to be sent to ensure the individual received the meeting invite (this is especially true of meeting updates).

** It lacks integration. It's rare these days to see any new app or system integrate with Notes so it stays very siloed where other email platforms are doing deep line of business integration (CRM, video conferencing, etc.) and social integration (facebook, twitter, slack, etc.).

** Mobile and desktop syncing issues. There are some well know issues that involve reading email ,calendar invites especially, on the mobile client (IBM Traveler) that cause them to be removed from the default views of the desktop client. Basically important email can "disappear" when using the mobile client. The mobile client also doesn't allow integration with other mobile apps so calendars, for example, can't be unified on a smart phone; the Notes calendar won't feed into any other mobile calendaring app.

At want point I think IBM Notes was an innovative product. Not anymore. It does email and calendaring.

What Calendar solution do you use?

IBM Domino review by <span>Federico O.</span>
Federico O.

"Great Email Client"

What do you like best?

I've been using the Notes client for over ten years and I'm convinced it's a great client for managing email, calendar and contacts but above all for collaborating in teams. In particular, my favorite feature is the possibility to develop customized applications (databases) that help daily productivity

What do you dislike?

The only feature that could be improved is the graphical interface. In fact, while I find it excellent, the opinion of the majority of users is that it is "ugly". By comparing it to other mail clients, users do not put it as the first choice for that reason.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are no recommendations that I deem particularly necessary. It is an excellent product for the purposes for which it is born. In daily use it allows you to work without interruptions, both online and offline, using its excellent replication mechanism. It has a great integrated chat for instant communications and its client on Android and iOS works very well.

IBM Notes allows me to collaborate better with my colleagues, allows me to collaborate with them especially at a distance with a speed and immediacy that I can not find in any other product.

IBM Domino review by <span>Pritam D.</span>
Pritam D.

"After 1 year of use Review on IBM Note pros and cons"

What do you like best?

The best this is like it is very simple to use no complication in functionality and it will give you notification for meeting and scheduled work. Along with that they are proving chat functionality also you can chat with who all are working with you.from calendar you can check your daily routine and set up meeting with others. Good email sorting option are there you can easily customize your email box according to your usability and sort it by date ,month and more .From pricing prospective it is good in comparison to other application but its required lot of modification to make it user friendly.

What do you dislike?

Its needs to be updated i fell like its very heavy and slow , Interface also not that great so essential need of enhancement.In chat window also in comparison to other application it need improvement so that people can find it more interesting.some functionality password change and all are bit complex its need to be fix.

calendar view is okay other things needs improvement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommending like if you are using it then okay you can go with it but if you are thinking to switch ti IBM note then i will suggest better to go with outlook that is more better that IBM note and good customer support also.

we use IBM note for official communication like mail ,chatting with employee with in the organisation and set up meeting with the people using calender.

IBM Domino review by <span>Emma H.</span>
Emma H.

"IBM Notes is great for email"

What do you like best?

IBM Notes is great for email. It allows me to store my contacts and view my schedule in my calendar. There is also a To-DO list icon and a notebook all on the home page so it's easy to access this info. I am able to add my signature to each email which adds both to my own brand and to the brand of my company. I am also able to sort my emails out in files, such as a Promotional file and a Record file. I am also able to save email templates to use when needed.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that emails are automatically deleted after a certain number of days if they are not "tagged" as a Record. If I forget to tag something, I can lose valuable information this way. IBM Notes is pretty simple (white and blue), but it would be nice to be able to customize it by color or look. I am not aware of the ability to do this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Overall, IBM Notes is easy to use and works great for email. It is not significantly different from others of its kind, but it serves its purpose for email.

Email is a crucial part of my work so relying on email to correspond with different clients, as well as my coworkers, is of importance. I have to be able to access my email throughout the day to answer questions and provide insight and support. There are many different departments in my company, and email is one of the best ways to get in touch with someone, especially if they are unavailable for a call or IM. Additionally, the email templates save time, and the various folders allow me to sort my emails so they are easy to find when I need them. The calendar function allows me to keep track of my schedule.

IBM Domino review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Notes is dinosaur of email"

What do you like best?

Enables tight integration with organization tools and templates e.g., file sharing, messenger. Notes is also generally reliable and a stable software with very few instances of crashes/ bugs.

It also provides good calendar functionality in general (excl. the fact that I cannot forward invites). The calendar views are easy to view and manage.

What do you dislike?

Not designed for modern collaboration. You cant even forward an invite!! To invite additional attendees, when you dont own the invite, you need to create a duplicate calendar invite, and obviously if the original invite moves around, you will need to move the duplicate invite manually. Very painful.

Another problem is that its replication function (i.e. email sync) is very slow and infrequent. I need to manually press Replicate and Sync several times to send an email in my outbox or to receive and email on notes which I already see on my iphone mailbox (both the devices are connected to the same network, so its not an issue with network speed)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dont even think about it! You will instantly move back 20 years in time if you switch to Notes. I recommend using other tools such as Outlook, slack etc. for your business.

While the software is stable and reliable, it simply not user friendly enough and its design and features are out of sync with the needs of the modern professional.

IBM notes has been our primary email client for several decades. Benefits are cross-firm familiarity with the platform, and seamless support.

Learn more about IBM Domino

IBM Domino Videos

IBM Domino Downloads

Learning about IBM Domino?

* We monitor all IBM Domino reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.