iBooks Author

iBooks Author is an amazing app that allows anyone to create beautiful iBooks Textbooks and just about any other kind of book for iPad and Mac.

Work for iBooks Author?

Learning about iBooks Author?

iBooks Author Reviews

Showing 22 iBooks Author reviews
iBooks Author review by Seth R.
Seth R.

"iBooks Author is Pure Apple in Character "

What do you like best?

I was immediately impressed by its simplicity. I did not find it very hard to learn. I have recently published a Children’s book to the iBooks store and it took less than a day to complete the setup.

What do you dislike?

Now I have said that it is Simple and that can also be a bad thing. It seemed to lack features to make a book design unique. Of course I am thinking of Adobe Indesign so I cannot judge it too hard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is unique tool for a unique market. Before spending the time to upload and sell your book on iBooks, decide if you will get any sales. My Amazon sales by far out number iBook sales.

I see IBooks Author as a tool to get my book into iTunes. I personally created my book in Indesign and then took screenshots. I uploaded the screenshots into IBooks and viola! I don’t think I would recommend using iBooks over Pages or Microsoft Word for writing a book, but it definitely has its niche.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about iBooks Author
iBooks Author review by Robert Z.
Robert Z.

"Create iBooks for the App Store easily"

What do you like best?

iBook Author allows you to create excellent editorial products to be published in the App Store, in a very simple and intuitive way. You can use one of the preset layouts and insert your own texts and images, or start from a blank document and create a layout from scratch.

What do you dislike?

It would be handy if there was more interaction with other industry software such as InDesign or Quark Xpress, or even Photoshop and Illustrator, in order to optimize the workflow. However I find it an excellent tool for those who want to approach the world of digital publishing and want to publish in the App Store.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Indispensable tool to create iBooks files, but also simply to make layouts to be exported in pdf, thanks also to the possibility of exploiting different preset graphic layouts that simplify the work.

I created some layouts that I then exported to pdf, and I also created some iBooks files to be shared with collaborators and customers, all in a very short time because it has really intuitive functions.

What Desktop Publishing solution do you use?

iBooks Author review by Nathalie B.
Nathalie B.

"I use it to make iBooks and I teach my colleagues to use the software. "

What do you like best?

The fact that it is fairly easy to use. You can drag and drop media in and it's a quick software. You can easily preview the book, both on an iPad and on the computer.

What do you dislike?

More different widgets for assessment: put words in the correct order, match, put in the correct category, wordsearch, audio assessments, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I absolutely recommend it to teachers who want to use more digital books. You can use iBooks Author for any subject.

My students use the iBooks a lot both in class and at home. I have made History books on the Romans and the Celts, literacy books and stories. It reduces the weight of the children's school bags as they have all the books on their iPad. The students can highlight text and add notes. The iBooks include interactive pictures and films, something an ordinary book can't offer.

iBooks Author review by Diana C.
Diana C.

"wonderful eBook creator"

What do you like best?

iBooks Author is one of the best ways to make an interactive eBook. It has a very extensive and attractive sets of formats to start, like novel, photo books, travel books, cooking books... You can integrate sound and video, gallery of image, pop up, but the most interesting tool is the Exercise tool, to create quiz for students to practice. It's very easy to use.

If you want to import text from other program, it preserve character and paragraph styles, you have only to substitute them with the inside styles.

Widget gives the possibility to put HTML5 into the eBook and create more or less anything you want.

What do you dislike?

The only issue is the occasional slowness of the program, in the case you upload many videos for example.

The final product is an iBooks format ebook, that is obviously only for Apple.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think iBooks Author is the best way to create school books.

I am a graphic designer for digital eBooks. iBooks Author has enabled me to create some innovative products and allowed the real interaction with books, for example in the field of illustrated books for children or cooking books.

iBooks Author review by User in Higher Education

"The keys to my success"

What do you like best?

iBooks Author is the best digital publishing program I have ever used. What I love most is that is plays videos and has interactive widgets such as photo galleries, pop-up images, interactive images, scrolling textboxes, etc. It is also free, can be installed on any Mac computer, is so intuitive, and is the best thing to come to publishing technology since sliced bread. You can also use Pages to create an .iBook.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that the books are only available on iOS devices and on the iTunes Store. I have published 3 books so far, using iBooks Author, and wish that the books were available on Amazon and compatible with Kindles. This would help independent authors make money. If it were to be available on all platforms (with interactive iBooks that play videos), that would be Ahhhhmazing! The fact that is is currently only available on iPads and Macs makes it hard to reach everyone. Yes, one can export their iBook as a PDF but it will lose all interactivity which is the point.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iBooks Author is amazing! Be sure to attend the Digital Books World conference in Nashville to meet amazing users and independent authors who are changing the very face of publishing.

iBooks Author has helped me realize my dreams of becoming an independent author who creates media-rich books and sells them on the iTunes Store.

iBooks Author review by Christina H.
Christina H.

"eBook Publishing made simple"

What do you like best?

The program was easy to use and upload the file to see what the eBook would look like. They even made it easy to simulate someone reading it on various devices. I also found that the tutorial provided was useful. I think the general interface was easy to use.

What do you dislike?

The tutorial could definitely be buffed up a little more. There were certain aspects of creating the file/ebook that were not entirely clear. I had to do some trial and error when looking for solutions to some of the issues I faced but overall it ended up fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think it definitely does exactly what you need it to do. I haven't really found a better software out there that is as useful and also works very well on Mac's.

Creating an ebook for the company that promoted our brand and stories. Simple electronic way to compile this type of information and distribute it to our customers.

iBooks Author review by Luke B.
Luke B.

"iBooks Author - Helpful!"

What do you like best?

I like the amount of resources that are provided with iBooks. It's an easy interface to harness.

What do you dislike?

I do not have anything I dislike about this product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a well produced product and you will be pleased. It is also free so there are no regrets in trying it out.

I have realized the benefits of a clean and organized space for writing and editing

iBooks Author review by User in Media Production
User in Media Production

"Easy to use out of the box"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use and that there are templates ready to go out of the box. I was able to make an online version of an academic text article in such little time and not only was it easy but mobile friendly.

What do you dislike?

There are lots of options for customization but it lacks a ton of features. It would be nice to have something a little more like Adobe Illustrator to help with placement.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an easy-to-use interface for some quick e-books, iBooks meets those requirements. If you have a lot of customization for text and pictures this may not be the best solution for you but it is adequate enough.

We were trying to make online, searchable versions of e-books and iBooks was an easy fix for us. Students enjoy being able to pull them up on their devices and we like that it's easy to create books on the fly and in a timely matter without having a ton of programming experience.

iBooks Author review by Stephanie L.
Stephanie L.

"Great for even beginners!"

What do you like best?

iBooks Author makes creating an eBook on my own really easy to make. There are so many different layouts to choose from as well as widgets to add to the book. You can add sounds, videos, pop ups, and even interactive media. There is even an HTML widget, so if you can't find the exact layout you want, you can create your own HTML for everything you want.

What do you dislike?

I have not had any major issues using iBook Author yet. The only thing I wish it had, was multiple publishing formats that would be kindle or nook compatible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would definitely recommend iBooks Author to anyone looking to create any sort of iBook on their own.

Compiling my own cookbooks of recipes handed down and ebooks on how-tos for crafts and DIY projects.

iBooks Author review by Erin D.
Erin D.

"Professional publishing "

What do you like best?

A thorough platform for publishing ebooks, either as epubs or iBooks to be listed on the iBooks store. I used this with students to create a digital arts magazine and the results were professional.

What do you dislike?

It takes some time to learn and changing chapters, pages and sections requires some know how so you don't ruin your formatting. However, we figured it out by trial and error.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is not a simple easy publication platform, BUT it does an excellent job of creating polished, professional work.

Publishing student work for free. Treat your students like real authors.

iBooks Author review by Luke L.
Luke L.

"The easiest way to create digital books"

What do you like best?

iBooks Author is an awesome tool for generating incredibly appealing ebooks. I love to write, but struggle with the design aspect of the final product.

This software makes it incredibly easy to add dynamic content to an ebook and wraps it all up in a beautiful package. Within minutes, I was able to generate a simple and beautiful sample ebook (with text I had for another project) that looked incredibly professional.

The price tag (free!) makes this awesome tool available to anyone!

If you're looking in to digital authoring, this is a great place to start!

What do you dislike?

As with most things Apple, this is only available on the Apple platform. If you're intended audience isn't a purely iOS/Mac OS X group, this may not be the best choice.

Sometimes text can be a little bit difficult to line up correctly, and the layout starts to look a little bit wonky.

You're only able to charge users for a book you've created if you submit it to the apple ibooks store and go through the approval process. I understand why they did this, but wish I had the ability to charge users for my content through other means.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your audience is using Apple products primarily, or they will be unable to view use the ebooks that you generate. This may be best for delivering supplementary content instead of required reading materials.

The ability to quickly generate ebooks that have a professional appearance. iBooks Author allows us to take otherwise boring content and supplement it with videos and images and deliver it quickly to a large audience.

iBooks Author review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Authoring Freedom"

What do you like best?

One of the things that strikes you right away is the simplicity to layout ideas with great layout. The interactive guides to help composition is phenomenal and helps you balance text with visual content in a natural strait forward way. The fact that I can link a great amount of interactive content in an iBook is crucial to my day to day authoring. I can easily preview my files in the cloud with my iPad and check if everything is working.

What do you dislike?

I would say that it is compression. The file sizes are still big depending on the content added to the book. Perhaps a new compression would need to be implemented to handle all video and images all together securing a smaller file size on rich media files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend taking care of your images and videos before adding to iBook. Try to compress as much as you can to secure small file sizes at the end or even better, try to link them to an online source to avoid adding too much data to your final file.

Interactive presentation of documents and project proposals.

iBooks Author review by Sarah E.
Sarah E.

"Fantastic software to create a range of documents "

What do you like best?

I used this software to create pamphlets for my business launch. It is VERY easy to use and quick to figure out.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more free templates to choose from.

It’s helped me streamline my marketing presence for my social entrepreneurship venture.

iBooks Author review by Todd P.
Todd P.

"Great way to create a book or manual. "

What do you like best?

This program make it really easy to create an electronic book. It inaugurates with Mac os and it is easy to bring in photos and videos. You can incorporate even more advanced modules. It was easy to use and organize the book.

What do you dislike?

My only negative was my final book was over 2 gigabytes. I used lots of pictures and videos for a book on knots I wanted to write. There needs to be a way to globally reduce the photo and video size for the books.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to create a book or manual this is a great product.

Its a great way to create a book or manual for any business.

iBooks Author review by Marco C.
Marco C.

"Builds great content!"

What do you like best?

It's a very powerfull tool to build astonishing and great dynamic books

What do you dislike?

It's not the most easy software to be used

Create cost effective dynamic books

iBooks Author review by User in Music
User in Music

"Great for Creating Content "

What do you like best?

This tool offers simple book creation tools such as text but also provides for multimedia such as video, movies and images.

What do you dislike?

This is an Apple product only which limits many people.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Any teacher with Macbooks and 1:1 iPads should be using this product! iTunes is available for PCs and thus I wish iBooks Author were available to a PC user. There are several apps though such as Book Creator that would allow you to do the same task.

Developing teacher created content for students.

iBooks Author review by User in Higher Education

"Still Learning this Software!"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy the ease of which Apple makes it's interfaces. I like being able to use the interface and editing abilities. I'm still not doing great, but if I had more time to spend with the software (and Apple's amazing knowledge base and customer support), I think I would find success with ease.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet. I have not had the opportunity to fully learn the software.

I can author free texts for not only my students, but make available for all students interested in learning my speciality in photographic education.

iBooks Author review by Alejandro M.
Alejandro M.

"I love it!"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use! There are a lot of templates

What do you dislike?

In fact... there is anything I don't like about it.

Helps me in my job, the Hospital Protocols are being made digital.

Less waste of paper

iBooks Author review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Does the job"

What do you like best?

The software is very intuitive. The templates make a quick set up easy for anyone to create a great layout.

What do you dislike?

I have not personally run into any issues, but I was warned that trying to look at the finished product on anything other than a mac product will be difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iBooks Author performs as expected. Great for putting together text and images. Very useful.

Good for simple presentations.

iBooks Author review by User

"Short, Simple and effective"

What do you like best?

I love how simple this program is to use. It isn't demanding on the machine to run, but still works really well despite its simplicity.

What do you dislike?

The only issues that we have, is that it doesn't run on windows - which is pretty well expected given it's developed by Apple

Creating easy to read books for customers to read. It's a cheap and effective way to distribute materials

iBooks Author review by Agency in Graphic Design
Agency in Graphic Design

"iBooks Author - DPS Made Easy"

What do you like best?

iBook author is much easier than other digital publishing software.

What do you dislike?

iBook author lacks the flexibility and precision of InDesign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fast and easy to learn, the easiest way to publish to iPad.

I use iBooks author for publishing to iPad.

iBooks Author review by User in Fund-Raising
User in Fund-Raising

"Easy ebook"

What do you like best?

Design layout flexibility. It can be used to create cool intro video and animation to wow any audience.

What do you dislike?

Only for Mac and iOS comparability. Ease of publishing would be nice.

Creating cool animated and interactive presentation.

Learning about iBooks Author?

* We monitor all iBooks Author reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.