iMovie

iMovie for Mac lets you enjoy your videos like never before. Browse your clips easily, instantly share your favorite moments, and create Hollywood‑style trailers and beautiful movies at stunning 4K resolution.

Work for iMovie?

Learning about iMovie?

iMovie Reviews

Showing 203 iMovie reviews
iMovie review by Alexandria P.
Alexandria P.

"Novice to Expert in days"

What do you like best?

What I love about iMovie is that it's really simple to use. You don't have to be terribly proficient with editing to use the software. And if you are proficient then you can easily turn something ordinary into the extraordinary. It has a very sleek design, and it's not crowded, clutched or hard to navigate.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to say what I dislike for iMovie because it's so easy to use. However there is always room for improvement,

Recommendations to others considering the product

The number one thing I would suggest is adding more templates. Simply for those that don't have a creative vision in mind, they'll be able to customize a video template to help express themselves or their project. I am always a huge advocate of tutorials that are located on the application. This way the user is able to learn without having to outsource other applications for help.

I use iMovie for making game trailers and simple presentation that need to shine. No one likes death by powerpoint, so why not use a video instead?

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about iMovie
iMovie review by Hannah M.
Hannah M.

"Simple, clean, easy to use!"

What do you like best?

I like how everything is there at my fingertips! I don't have to go searching through several windows to find what I need. Drop down menus and pop-up windows make it to where I don't have to look away from my video editing, even when I'm searching for the perfect sound-effects.

What do you dislike?

One of the recent updates kept causing my software to crash, but when the newest update came out, it solved the issue. In terms of actual editing, I find it mildly irritating that I can't layer multiple overlays over one clip of video... but in the grand scheme of things, it's a small complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely play around with the product! This software can do a lot of fun and interesting things in terms of editing. This is what I used to start my YouTube channel, and I know multiple "big" YouTubers STILL choose to use iMovie, even though they are rich & can afford something "better."

I use iMovie for editing YouTube videos & this is so far the best program I've used.

What Video Editing solution do you use?

iMovie review by Nicoleta S.
Nicoleta S.

"Straight Forward, Easy, Starter Editing Software"

What do you like best?

iMovie is super simple to learn and most people can master all of the features in a short amount of time. It dabbles in a little bit of every aspect of editing and has great effects and features for such a basic software. One of my favorite things about iMovie is how easy it is to edit audio layers precisely, with little to no previous experience in audio clips.

What do you dislike?

iMovie is pretty easy to outgrow fairly quickly. After using and mastering all of the features in a short amount of time, it can leave you wanting more from it. One of my biggest dislikes is the lack of text fonts and styles that can be layered over the videos.

We use iMovie multiple times a week to create short intros and ads to point people from other social media platforms to our Youtube channel. If you need to create a quick, simple project, it is the perfect go to.

iMovie review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"Great introductory video editing software despite shortfalls"

What do you like best?

The fact that iMovie is free to download with a Mac computer makes Apple a desirable option for designers and those looking to have access to a basic video editing software. Even as I have become more experienced in video editing, I continue to use iMovie because of its easy-to-use interface, simplicity, and its free price.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that there was slightly more functionality in certain areas of iMovie or plug-ins that could be downloaded to provide additional functionality. In particular, I wish that I could overlay images like speech bubbles and cartoons similar to the way text can be, but I have been unable to do this or find a plug-in that would allow this. More flexibility with text on the video would give iMovie all of the functionality I would need, and I think most novice filmmakers, to create basic movies.

iMovie has allowed my research lab to produce videos at no cost to us. We have been able to test different styles of videos during a research project easily and effectively, which has been incredibly useful for our research moving forward.

iMovie review by Greggory D.
Greggory D.

"Great for the Simple Edit"

What do you like best?

We use iMovie to edit short animated walkthroughs of exhibit spaces to use in client presentations. Most of our edits are simple with slight color tweaks, speed, cropping, panning, and simple transitions, but iMove handles this wonderfully.

What do you dislike?

While handling the simple edits well, if I wanted to take the big leap into a more professionally edited video, I would likely have to look elsewhere for a larger palette of editing tools. The Ken Burns effect is nice and all, but can be laggy when using a high DPI image.

We are using iMovie to cut animations of rendered spaces for clients to see. Too often, when we take a client through a digital model with live clicking, we encounter lags, or other unforeseen miscues. This can be distracting and tedious. iMovie allows us to showcase a polished, sexy product that the client can feel excited about.

iMovie review by Micah P.
Micah P.

"Simple!"

What do you like best?

There is a very easy user interface to this program. It has professional quality options, yet grandma could use it to make a slideshow of her favorite pictures from christmas last year. The fact that it can be used on mobile devices, and shared projects between there and the Mac computers is a very nice feature for people working on more difficult or lengthy projects!

What do you dislike?

The simplicity of use means it doesnt offer as many features as the big name programs for video editing. Essentially this is just apple's version of Movie Maker. It is simple, effective, but not really the one I would use for doing major video editing, or trying to even make a very clean bumper promo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are wanting a clean looking video to use for a presentation, IMovie is a good option! It will help you get the job done quickly and effectively. Keep in mind that this is not a product to compare to Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro... This is meant for more simple work on a quick basis. Easy user interface will help this one stick around for a long time!

The caption editing has really helped us to get the word out from our organization!

iMovie review by Nathan L.
Nathan L.

"Simple process for my simple needs"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to cut my videos into the length I need.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, perhaps due to a glitch, it won't allow me to click and draw in order to cut the clip.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the ropes and really get into the details. I don't think I use iMovie as much or as well as I could. I'm not a film guy, so I get by, but I'm sure I could do a lot more and a lot higher quality stuff if I learned more about the capabilities of iMovie.

The main use we have for iMovie is cutting videos of our church's worship service down to just the sermon. We then post the sermon video, with intro and outro, and also grab the audio for our sermon podcast.

iMovie review by Bethany M.
Bethany M.

"iMovie is User Friendly"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to sit down at the computer, open iMovie, and create a completed project in a couple hours' time. The learning curve is very small, as the program is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the click-and-drag function is less than ideal. iMovie does not always allow you to drag your media into the creation space from, for example, a computer desktop. Additionally, as with other apple products, apple does not always provide solutions for common, known issues online. It is often more helpful to search forum posts in order to solve a recurring problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a Macintosh computer, this application should be your first attempt in movie or slideshow creation.

iMovie is a great, free (for macs) option that allows anyone to create a movie production. You can add music from an audio file and pictures from an event to quickly create a slideshow. If you want to add more detail, you may--simply click on a given picture in the slideshow and edit the number of seconds it will be shown, how it enters and exits the screen, and so on.

iMovie review by Karl T.
Karl T.

"A simple video editor with intuitive controls"

What do you like best?

I love the intuitive functionality, which includes being able to drag and drop video assets such as video clips, images and sound files into the project timeline. We can also quickly adjust the end points of video clips by dragging either end left or right. The resized or sliced clips are then able to snap back to adjoining clips, which really helps to speed up the editing process.

What do you dislike?

I don't really like the special effects features that are included in iMovie. They don't have the professional feel that some other software, like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro, have in their built-in effects. There also isn't a very diverse selection of output files for rendered iMovie videos. iMovie steers you towards common file types like MOV and MP4 and don't show you a ton of other options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend iMovie for basic video editing. It is very intuitive and allows you to resize, slice and move clips very quickly. If you can take time to learn the hot keys, then the editing process can be even smoother and faster for you.

iMovie has been great for straightforward footage editing and adding background music to videos. I use many different editors for different effects, but iMovie is one of the easiest for adjusting video clips alone. I can render these clips at full resolution so no image quality is lost when I import the video into a different application.

iMovie review by Victor P.
Victor P.

"Easy and quick video editing"

What do you like best?

iMovie has been around since 1999, before Mac OS X. It's user-friendly, yet it contains some advanced features normally found on far more complex applications. For quickly editing simple videos, it's hard to go wrong with it. The user interface is intuitive and approachable, and yet it gives you access to powerful and precise tools.

What do you dislike?

Former versions supported dual-screen operation, with timeline and tool palettes on one display, and a full screen preview of the video being trimmed in another. The current version only uses a single display, which is a serious productivity hindrance especially for those using iMovie on a laptop. Its ability to remove hiss and hum from less-than-stellar audio could use beefing up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're on a Mac, this will be your first video editor. Don't look down on it just because it's bundled with the operating system, it's really quite capable if you'll learn to use its basic features, and there's room to grow before you'll have to migrate to a more advanced NLE (nonlinear editor). The good news is that if you move to Final Cut Pro, you can import your iMovie projects directly into it.

I often use iMovie to edit short how-to videos of specific software functions, to quickly explain to customers what would otherwise take a lengthy textual description.

iMovie review by Jamie C.
Jamie C.

"Great for simple and straightforward videos"

What do you like best?

The user interface is neat and easy to navigate. I can take a look at the interface and almost instantly know how to use the software. I like that I can drag and drop files directly into the software from my computer's folders. I can then drag those clips right into my video project's timeline for editing. The controls for splitting clips and adjusting clip length are very intuitive and allow me to quickly cut and piece video clips together.

What do you dislike?

iMovie has relatively limited effects options. If you want to do advanced editing, like color correction or video stabilization, the available options make it difficult to render high quality results. The transition and titles effects don't look very professional and are not highly customizable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a Mac computer and are not very familiar with video editing software, iMovie is a great place to start. If you need more advanced editing tools, you should give Final Cut Pro a try. The controls are similar to iMovie's controls and it has many features for customizing and fine tuning your videos.

I'm able to quickly create videos with decent quality for use in social media, presentation and our website. We can deliver our company message in a more robust way with iMovie videos by adding titles and voice overs.

iMovie review by Rares M.
Rares M.

"Ideal Software for Beginners "

What do you like best?

What I like most about iMovie is the ease of use and the friendly interface which makes the software ideal for beginners or quick projects. When a video needs to be done and you have not much time or resource (or experience whatsoever with movie editing software), iMovie comes in handy all the time. The implicit templates are helpful as well if you don't care about the outcome to be original, but if you do, making your own simple edits and effects is not rocket science at all either!

What do you dislike?

While very simple to use, the software has a lot of limitations compared to more professional and more "complicated" software. In means of implicit content and templates, there is not much variety and the content produced, will thus look very repetitive and standard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with every content creating tool or software, it takes a bit of practice to get used to it; but you'll be a pro in no time. Don't just stick to the implicit templates and try to be creative and make your own visuals and use own footage and sound too in order to create an original video project

I use iMovie at work for simple video projects such as content for our social media channels; tutorials and guides on how to use our products and services as well as to create short internal videos such as educational content for our colleagues and volunteers.

iMovie review by Herring M.
Herring M.

"Great video creating and editing solution "

What do you like best?

The ease of use of this software is so great. I have used other software and this one by far is the best. Software is very ease to pick up and catch on. It has good templates and themes. I love the green screen feature and still photo capture.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could do more with the themes be able to change their colors, etc. Have more stock themes, transitions, title frames, etc. I would like to be able to creat my own title frames having words enter and exit how I want them to go not what is set.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! I would make the switch. You will not be disappointed. I had to use another software for a class I was taking I got very frustrated and just wanted to use iMovie the whole time and couldn't. I promise you can't go wrong making the switch to iMovie.

I use to creat commercials, feature events, news stories, and instructional videos. The benefits are huge especially for schools. We are able to create and spotlight our school, students, and teachers. Students are able to create and spotlight themselves for school, class projects, etc.

iMovie review by Richard G.
Richard G.

"Quick and Easy to learn feature packed Video Editing software"

What do you like best?

iMovie is intuitive and the user interface very easy to navigate.. I like the preset templates for create quick promotional videos and the built-in transitions and overlays are very useful.

What do you dislike?

The way in which files and projects are stored and accessed can be a bit confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to create a few test videos and you will see how easy it is to use the software. As you become more comfortable you can incorporate more of the advanced features such as chromakey.

iMovie allows me to create video sequences for both promotional and on stage use. It is easy to use which means that I am more likely to incorporate video projection into performances than before.

iMovie review by Erin S.
Erin S.

"Novice Video Production"

What do you like best?

This software is perfect for an extremely fast project, like a social media post or photo montage. There are some great features for beginners who are trying to get into video production. The drag and drop option makes it easy to add media to your project.

What do you dislike?

I have been editing video for more than a decade, so this software is not for me. I have used it when I am in a bind, but would not turn to it for a serious project. It is extremely limited. It is difficult to manipulate media, add unique graphics, movement, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not recommend this product for professional use.

I do not use this to solve issues in my career.

iMovie review by Ben P.
Ben P.

"iMovie has more features than people realize!"

What do you like best?

This video editor is EASY to use! it is seriously one of the highest quality, yet simple to use products out there. Has enough features to let you do some real work, yet also is easy enough that your grandma can put a slideshow together of her trip to Branson!

What do you dislike?

I wish it had just a few more features! It would be nice for it to integrate some color correction, pic on pic, and a little more freedom to adjust clips and transitions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is not going to be the best movie software you have ever had, but it will help you get the job done fast and easy and allow you to serve the customers you have!

This has helped us create videos for many of our events in a short time, and even on the fly as we use it on an Ipad or phone!

iMovie review by Matthew L.
Matthew L.

"An indispensable tool for the trade"

What do you like best?

The range of functionality, relative ease of use compared to over movie making software, and the quality transitions and effects make this inexpensive software extremely valuable for the small business owner. The videos I create come out looking like Hollywood films, which is attractive to my customers and audience on social media.

What do you dislike?

There is some limited advanced functionality that could be changed. Some functions are counter-intuitive at times, and more effects packages could be made available to the average user that is advancing to an expert user.

Creating professional products is easy with iMovie, and my business thrives on high quality audio visual material. The product provides a platform with which I am able to expose my audience to my own music, the work I do visually, and to talk with my audience on a personal level.

iMovie review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"I love iMovie! I use it all the time!"

What do you like best?

iMovie is perfect for me. I have a Mac and started using iMovie for editing my videos for YouTube. I'm just beginning, so I wasn't looking to buy a professional video editing software. I love that iMovie gives you everything you need to edit the video, add or remove or edit audio, and create a professional looking video without the cost!

What do you dislike?

I really haven't found anything I don't like about iMovie. I think it's a really great system to start learning how to edit videos. I've been able to do everything I could think of with iMovie.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, you're going to learn so much using iMovie if you're not a professional video editor. It gives you everything you need to get what you want done, plus some. I highly recommend starting with iMovie and then branching out once you feel more than comfortable and are wanting more. I've been using iMovie for over a year, and still find that it meets my needs.

My business is all online, and I'm building a YouTube channel. iMovie is allowing me to save money to use in other ways to build my business. It's also allowing me to work on my creativity and advance my skills in media and graphic design/editing.

iMovie review by nicole g.
nicole g.

"Perfect for business"

What do you like best?

I like that I can make a more engaging video of my content to share instead of just photos

What do you dislike?

I would like more theme choices especially some geared toward business and advertising. Most on there now are more family oriented. It would be great for apple to add a business side to the options

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perfect for making a family or business marketing video. It’s short and sweet and to the point you can add any photos you like and change the captions and story line to your liking to meet your business and advertising needs

Marketing. People are more engaged with video

iMovie review by Jimmy C.
Jimmy C.

"iMovie Rocks!"

What do you like best?

Makes it very easy to put together great looking videos with music and/or titles

What do you dislike?

Editing audio is a pain. The crazy thing is that it was actually easier to do this in the earlier version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is great for making quick videos. Also, if you want to have lots of fun, try creating a Trailer. They are amazing! It will make you look like a real pro. Amaze your friends and clients. For the price, you can not beat this video editor. The only downside is that it only works on Mac.

Making quick great looking videos for little or no money.

iMovie review by User in Higher Education

"iMovie-a Great Teaching Tool"

What do you like best?

iMovie is a great tool for showcasing the basics of movie editing in software. The layout of the software makes it easy to walk students through in introducing them to how to make a video (particularly a music video in my case). Students love being able to go through and edit clips and add special effects and wording.

What do you dislike?

As much as I love the software, I dislike the fact that it frequently crashing in the middle of my using it. Often, it will freeze when I am in the middle of a project which makes it rather difficult to complete the projects myself and students are working on. In addition, I find it difficult to operate the various clips that I am trying to compile together and do not enjoy the layout of that particular function in the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is a great tool for editing software for personal and business use and it is most definitely a great tool for beginners, as it was specifically designed with amateurs in mind. You must have an Apple Product to use this software, and I suggest using it with a higher grade Mac in order to get the most out of the experience.

Apple designed iMovie to be a software that amateurs can use. Because of this, the software is extremely easy to use, especially for students/beginners. It is easy to explain to my new users and easier when users have previously experienced the software.

iMovie review by User

"iMovie helps me show the beauty of community"

What do you like best?

iMovie is easy to use and can be used for a myriad of projects including video advertisements, slideshows, and commercials. I love the simplicity of exporting video to different formats and that you can publish straight from the application.

What do you dislike?

The limited number of templates and pre-sets for making videos that are provided. I want something that is easy to use and helps me save time with lots of options. I also would like more modern effects, not the same fade in and fade out as all of the other video editors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at some tutorials online and dive in. Have a Graphic Designer or someone with graphics experience set up “slides” or animation for your videos to make them shine. This is a great program for beginners who have time to dive in and play around with the tools and features to see what works best.

Creating eye-catching videos with iMovie helps draw visitors to social media and websites. People on social media love watching videos and having this tool to create high-quality video helps our business get attention.

iMovie review by Carly L.
Carly L.

"Great & Easy To Use"

What do you like best?

It's simple, easy to use & easy to teach to others. You can almost teach yourself anything you want to do. You can easily add music, photos, video clips, and create movies with them. You can also edit clips, change sound, add sound clips over your files, and merge them together. It's a simple solution for making high grade movies for all sorts of promos, marketing, events, and social platforms. We can also speed up the videos to make tutorials shorter for Instagram etc.

What do you dislike?

You have to save a new project every time you create a video. If you shorten a video clip, it automatically saves all the edits instead of creating 2 separate videos with no "save as" option. If you need to shorten a video or make changes to another that you want to keep, you have to start over. It takes a lot of work to figure out more advanced settings for editing & the visual tools are somewhat limited. You might need to use extra software for advanced graphics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product. Easy to use for basic video creating, sound clips, editing other videos, or making videos of multiple media types.

We don't have to hire a videographer or editor to create content for social media. It's so simple to use that we can do it in house & save the cost of a pro. It's a tool that we can use for all types of events, marketing, retail partners, and more. We can also use it to clip videos from other people who promote our brands, youtube videos, etc. and shorten videos to make them accessible on our website or retail websites.

iMovie review by Laura P.
Laura P.

"Apple friendly program to great movies and videos"

What do you like best?

I use iMovie very often for both work and pleasure purposes. It has some really nice features including titles and effects that can be used to improve the quality of any video. There are many nifty ways to loop together and layer clips to create a more interesting movie.

What do you dislike?

There have been many glitches in the iMovie program. For instance, the date and time stamps are often incorrect and I have also run into many importing problems after installing the new editions of imovie. I contacted the apple support and they were not able to help me with my issues using iMovie.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have had many problems using iMovie after doing software updates on my MacBook. The imovie program was working perfectly before I updated to MacOS Sierra. Now iMovie freezes during importing and has errors in the date/time stamps.

We create many videos for clients using imovie. It is our primary video editing program we use. I have created both long and short videos with ease using imovie. I have only ever had problems with importing and time stamps.

iMovie review by User in Motion Pictures and Film
User in Motion Pictures and Film

"Great for teaching and for basic editing!"

What do you like best?

I use iMovie to teach beginning film students to edit. Its a great program for the basics, and helps me teach intro editing concepts! Its great for short, simple projects, too!

What do you dislike?

There are not a ton of options in iMovie like you get with more advanced professional editing tools. I wish it had more options for fine-tuning projects, like being able to cut clips with more precision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an inexpensive and easy way to jump in and learn to edit. I like that you can also use it on your phone! I have used it on my phone many times to put a quick video together to upload or share with someone. I don't use it on my phone generally for professional purposes, but its quick, easy and looks good and gets the job done, which I really appreciate. I love being able to use it for teaching, because the learning curve is short and simple, and allows me to get to the important things faster!

I teach a film class to teenagers. I love using iMovie for the beginners. Its a great program for an intro to editing. Because its easy to use, students can learn how to use it quickly, and that allows me to spend more time on concepts of editing (storytelling, impact, etc...) and get them focused on thinking about the project they want to put together, more then being focused on how to use the software. It also is a great tool for jumping off to more professional software later, since they learn all the basics, and then can find and use those tools when they move to more advanced/professional software as they become more proficient.

iMovie review by Aaron B.
Aaron B.

"Easy, Best way to create short films"

What do you like best?

It allows easy creation of videos by importing photos or videos to use, or using the templates. Rendering takes only minutes and your video is easy to complete and share to Social media. You are able to create real production with overlays and all the tools are there for professional videos.

What do you dislike?

There is a lack of instruction and how to for the first time of use. It takes playing around with to get used to everything and sometimes you need to do your research on certain features to know how to use them, but after a few times, it is very easy. Some of the templates are very cheap and would never be used also...

Recommendations to others considering the product

The first time you use, be sure to do some research on what are you are trying to accomplish. If you are looking to do an overlay, that is the most tricky part but easy guides can be find online.

We create commercials for our products and promo videos. It makes it very easy to upload to Youtube or other Social outlets that we wish to share our videos on.

iMovie review by Angel M.
Angel M.

"iMovie"

What do you like best?

This app is easy to use; the fact that I can export all my media files into the app makes it worth it. By being able to have all my video files (and even some photos) it makes creating, and editing a video painless, since I can see all my files and pick the ones I need and put them in the order that I need them in.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, however, it takes a while for the files to export or that it won't accept a particular file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I said before it is nice to be able to look at all my media files that I have uploaded. It is also nice that I can go back and edit old videos, I have put together, to make them fit the needs of the company now

This is a great way to showcase my job and what it is that my company does.

iMovie review by Debi P.
Debi P.

"Pretty much does everything you need - quickly"

What do you like best?

There is a lot of functionality built into iMovie at a fraction of the cost of many other editing programs. It's simple enough to edit slick looking pieces very quickly. You can adjust the picture, use titles, edit audio and video separately, use green screen and several other effects. I have friends in the television industry who find that iMovie is all they really need to get straight-forward productions completed quickly. I've had the same experience as a freelancer using video shot on DSLRs, handycams, phones, sports cameras and professional video cameras. iMovie will handle many video and audio file types for pretty much any need. It's been my go-to for years, after confronting the learning curve of the much more expensive editing software systems.

What do you dislike?

You are limited in the graphics you can use and iMovie doesn't always play nice with automated uploads to services such as YouTube or Facebook. If you need more specialized graphics or animated type effect, you won't get that with iMovie. There are several automated graphics options in iMovie, but I find them limiting, and don't use them much. Unless I'm missing something (and I've searched) the latest version of iMovie (purple) also appears to have eliminated the ability to export clips in multiple video formats in favor of .mov only. This is becoming a problem, so I switched back to the previous iMovie version (yellow) The naming protocols are confusing, so I'm not using them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great bang for the buck, but be aware of the limitations. As for upgrading to the latest versions, so far that's not been optimal. I've reverted back to the yellow version because the latest (purple) takes me longer, is less intuitive and is missing features, most notably, the ability to export in different formats. It's been simplified to meet a broader audience, so if you're new to iMovie, you won't notice the difference. But if you've been using it since the early days, you'll know that it's becoming less versatile all the time. Once this version is no longer supported on my iOS/OSX systems, I may have to spend more $$ on Final Cut or finally learn how to use Adobe Premier Pro - both of which has much steeper learning curves, which do not have the time for right now.

I can edit videos quickly on mobile and desktop and upload them immediately. That has reduced production time, backlog and delays, thereby boosting my efficiency enormously. I do a lot of social media work, and being able to use iMovie on any of my devices has significantly enhanced my productivity without having to give up the effects, audio or other features.

iMovie review by Harry S.
Harry S.

"Great for Beginners"

What do you like best?

Easy to learn for users just starting out, Has a nice interface and plays well with other Apple preinstalled software many publishing options available great templates for quick projects and many many title templates and photo display options among the best Chromakeying I've seen in ANY PRODUCT

What do you dislike?

With the ease of use comes a lack of more professional features also no cross platform use for windows Professional level users will be left asking for more Sometimes you have to export a file in the middle of a project to get what you want like you can't combine a chromakey and a cutaway without doing the key first then importing the exported file back into imovie and continuing with your project

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for Beginners or people who are new to editing and can put out awesome content easily but anyone who has used any other editing product with be left wanting more

Easy to teach someone out of the gate someone can be creating a project within hours of first using the software We start students on iMovie then move them on to more professional editing applications but it is a great starting step to gain the basics and fundamentals

iMovie review by Shirin E.
Shirin E.

"Quite amazing for software that's included with MacOS - Maybe not Hollywood quality but really close"

What do you like best?

iMovie is the most intuitive software for something that can easily be made complex. Without a ton of training you can come in, get started and have a really decent video without a ton of aggravation. Additionally, it's rock solid stable and has never crashed on me which is something I experienced with other movie editing software.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes doing titles in iMovie is a little glitchy and doesn't flow well. It's not a major deal but something they can probably refine. I'd also love to see some native captioning ability but titles can cover that feature as a workaround.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before upgrading to Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premier, try to push iMovie to its limits. You'll find support for multiple tracks and it handles b-roll footage nicely. You maybe surprised how long you can stave off purchasing something more expensive. Also, if you have a magic bar on your MacBook Pro, the functionality there is pretty sweet.

We use iMovie for marketing videos and presentations. We record our videos using an iPhone and can quickly get it into iMovie for editing. We aren't doing the level of movies that requires something like Final cut pro or Premier.

iMovie review by Vanda A.
Vanda A.

"iRecommend"

What do you like best?

As a user following the updates of every single software, inside and outside the Apple system (example: Adobe Master Collection), I have come to terms on how useful iMovie tends to be as a beginner's tool for adjusting on the video editing scene. Though there are other alternatives, such as Premiere and Final Cut Pro, those tend to be perceived as more complex in comparison to iMovie; therefore, I think this software's strongest point is its simplicity in interface, and how user-friendly it has become over the years.

What do you dislike?

It could incorporate a lot more features in terms of editing; this aside, it is a perfect, ideal tool for users wanting to start up on the video editing route.

When dealing with strict deadlines at first, iMovie would be the first tool recommended to me; it was the first one I started using when starting up my learning process in the video editing area, and though currently feeling more than comfortable with deadlines versus software, in which I can use both Premiere and Final Cut Pro well enough to match that time strictness, I still go to iMovie when all seems impossible to deal with.

iMovie review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Perfect for a beginner, but other programs probably best for advanced video editing."

What do you like best?

iMovie is incredibly simple to use, despite some hidden functions that are buried in menus. That being said, it doesn't have as many features as other video editing software does. The best thing about iMovie though are the slideshow and movie themes. Therefore, this is my go-to for quick video editing.

What do you dislike?

Apple applications do have a very intuitive design, but every once in a while, things can be hard to find. I've spent considerable time Googling various things that should have been simple do, but after an update, things changed a bit too much with some features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have an Apple computer, this software is free and does a lot. Definitely try as your first option if you have simple video editing to do and are a beginner.

Quick video editing with themes saves tons of time!

iMovie review by Erin D.
Erin D.

"iMovie - Easy video editing"

What do you like best?

The platform is easy to use and suitable for students from grades 4 and up. The trailer feature is easy and a great way to introduce students to basic film techniques.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the app would update more themes and provide the ability to change the font colour of titles. It has been around for so long that people recognize the formatting and fonts and it doesn't seem very original or eye catching.

Fantastic for creating short video clips featuring highlights of the school year, a tour of new facilities or an introduction of new staff.

iMovie review by Jimmy L.
Jimmy L.

"Easy way to make movies"

What do you like best?

I like that it's easy to insert content and create movies that can be exported to basically any platform. I't's intuitive and simple.

What do you dislike?

I wish it would go a little deeper into transitioning between clips, and splicing audio. But, for stock software, I can't complain too much.

I've realized that at this point I don't really need to invest in professional software. Yes, maybe I will later on, but for now, I can make shot videos that looks great and professional with software that comes standard with my computer.

iMovie review by Gabe S.
Gabe S.

"iMovie is a User Friendly & Easy Way to Edit Video"

What do you like best?

The best part about iMovie is how easy it is to figure out. It is VERY user friendly. We have several employees at our company that use the software for products, and everyone has been able to pick it up fairly quickly and without trouble.

What do you dislike?

It is limited in video and audio editing capabilities compared to other, more advanced, editing softwares. When trying to create a more polished video look, it is more difficult. Videos tend to look like templates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is a great option if you are looking to quickly edit simple videos. If you are wanting to edit and create more advanced videos, you should look into a more advanced software. However, higher end video editing softwares require a lot more training and experience. iMovie is very easy to learn and get started with.

We are quickly editing simple videos for out clients. Videos are a great way to market your company and yourself.

iMovie review by Aaron T.
Aaron T.

"Easiest video editing software in existence!"

What do you like best?

This software comes included all Mac computers for free, but it is a software that many people would actually pay for separately. While it may not have the big price tag, it can compete in most areas with higher end web design software. It may not have all of the features some some of its counterparts, but it certainly can be a lot easier to use.

What do you dislike?

I often ran into issues organizing files in the timeline. It can be a bit difficult to line things up as I would like, but it just takes time and effort to get things perfect. This software has a lot less specific controls compared to it's more expensive counterparts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is definitely worth considering, as it is a free software included on all Mac computers. with the robust amount of features and templates already included, it is well worth giving it a shot to see if it meets your needs.

iMovie is great for quick movie productions that don't need all the bells and whistles. It is a lot quicker to go through the workflow than with other softwares. Being able to export the final product to a file or upload directly to share not only makes the process easier, but also more fun and convenient which in turn makes you want to produce more movies.

iMovie review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Easy to use for Mac Users: think YouTube!"

What do you like best?

It is fairly intuitive to use in creating attractive movies for friends or Youtube.

What do you dislike?

It is limited on the file formats that it accepts which can be an issue for some camera. It does accept .mp4 AVCHD, and .mov (apple format) among others. I have heard is is lossy and exports lower quality resolution, but I use it for the ease of use and it seems to get the job done for me, and especially for the way most of my vids are viewed on Youtube.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. You will learn it very quickly, and be exporting movies on your very first use!

Google loves Youtube and I get comments and questions for uploaded movies that are years old. This means that (for free), I'm connecting with my customers or potential customers, and keeping the conversations going for years.

iMovie review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"Great simple movie editor with powerful tools for the casual user"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it integrates with my photos and videos as well as the professional transition and titling tools it has

What do you dislike?

I like the themes but with it included more themes. This is something that Apple hasn’t added in a looooong time. Also would be great to include more music options for background

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great simple tool but you will need other options if you need to utalize multiple layers of video or audio

I used it a lot for creating event promos and a memory video after an event with the organization I worked for

iMovie review by Marketa S.
Marketa S.

"Pretty cool program for mac users"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use. The learning curve with this program goes very fast, so even though I don't use it very often I am still able to use its potential. I also appreciate the music library.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to drag and drop text anywhere I want. At this moment I either haven't figured that part out or it's not there. Like I said I am an occasional user, but there is not much that I don't like.

I am able to edit videos easily without having to learn difficult programs.

iMovie review by Andrés S.
Andrés S.

"Video editing for Community Managers with zero time"

What do you like best?

It is very useful and easy-to-use, once you understand how it works. Importing, clipping and adding sound are friendly features, and if you are used to working with Macs or iOS, you will master it in no time.

What do you dislike?

Its limitations. You cannot add more than 2 layers of objects (pictures or other movies) in one single frame, and the trailer option is very much like a black box.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think of it as learning how to use layers to edit a picture on Paint, but keep your eyes on moving forward to Photoshop.

In Social Media, you have to be able to produce and edit videos with ease, and without spending too much time in it. With iMovie, you are capable of doing that and more, even uploading directly to your YouTube channel.

iMovie review by Enrico C.
Enrico C.

"Simple, intuitive"

What do you like best?

It is a very simple program, in the Apple style. Allows you to trim clips, slow down and speed up, and there are a dozen filters that allow you to customize the video. Moreover, there are ready-made presets that allow, inserting clips and text in the appropriate spaces, to create a subspecies of the trailer with mid-level digital effects, excellent for telling a trip with cats or family, or small presentations unpretentious. The connection was with iTunes and other Apple applications makes it even handier.

What do you dislike?

The quality is in no way comparable from professional editing software. Moreover, the various divisional folders of the projects and the page dedicated to finished projects let it down. It is completely absent from the color correction (except for those few filters), and the transition effects are simple and quite obsolete. Often in export issues with large files, which force you to repeat repeatedly export. It managed to use it to create photo video, which eventually were shown the preview of the visa program that exports did not go successfully 4 times: angers a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the level of quality of your product is not professional, or if your product will remain within the company (or other video presentation) this product is for you. It is also great software to bring children to the world of video editing.

For small projects or for persons with little experience reveals a good software, very simple and fast. Great comfort integration in apple body.

iMovie review by Dave B.
Dave B.

"Easy to use video editing software"

What do you like best?

iMovie is very easy to use. I have used both iMovie and Adobe Premier, both without any prior knowledge of video editing or background on the software. iMovie was by far easier to figure out and use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes finding some features can take some searching for. It also takes a little while to export the finished video from the library to your files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is an easy to use program and delivers great results. It offers a good amount of features and effects and is very user friendly.

I have used this software to create some promotional videos for our company and to create short commercials. It's easy to stitch multiple videos together, add audio, separate the audio from the video recording, and add effects. iMovie delivers great results that I had no problem using to represent our company and brand.

iMovie review by Jessica M.
Jessica M.

"Easy to use - great starter program"

What do you like best?

It's a nice starter program. It's good for beginners. Apple really simplified the editing process to make it easier for new users. It's also nice that it comes with the mac computer. You probably won't produce a major motion picture with it, but it will get the job done. It's perfect for a simple montage and quick and easy edits!

What do you dislike?

You can only do so much with the program. Eventually when your skills improve, you realize you need more control over certain items.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new and just getting started, this program is a great place to start! It will get your feet wet without spending a lot of money on a video program. If you have a mac, give it a try!

Achieves basic editing on a budget

"IMovie"

What do you like best?

The ease of making videos and so many options for technical advancements. The fact that I can easily upload media and edit it is pretty beginner friendly and whoever uses it can grow as they learn more. I compares better than other editing software and coming free with your mac is a great way to promote their software usage while selling products and making revenues.

What do you dislike?

Th slowness of macs and how it affects the application. The lack of support from apple. There isn't much creative effects you can add through the application you have to use external sources and import in order to create captivating content. There ae not many add in options for creative designs, no templates, it's not extremely beginner friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Update features, add more design elements. I would create a more beginner friendly tutorial especially when it comes to exporting content. Also to create more templates and scratch designs for people to add into could attract more users.

Creating content at eat that came free with my mac. You can create beautiful content at the ease of one device. The benefits include free application use with the purchase of a mac which is very expensive. You can create great short clips as well as long ones and also edit from your iphone which is really convenient.

iMovie review by Mariana I.
Mariana I.

"Easy-to-use video software with all the basics features"

What do you like best?

iMovie is a software that anyone can use.. students for a project or fancy presentation, pros who want something quickly and simple or a person that does not know how to make videos but need to.

As all the Apple software, iMove is user friendly. You insert a thing by dragging it, you delete when you press delete.. pretty simple and fast.

You can also add credits and text really easy.

What do you dislike?

If you want to make some cool and elaborated audio mix, you should be forgetting about iMovie.

You can't also put two videos in the same frame, like you can in Final Cut Pro. Same thing with photos.

Exportation is really, really slow. Even though you have a lot of options, all of them take a long time.

More effects could be added.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You cannot expect iMovie to be a pro video editing software because it is not. I would recommend it for students or small businesses that do not need a lot of effort in their videos. You can make a good video but not a professional one because its lack of features.

Sometimes we make videos about the events we make: conferences, courses, certifications, symposiums.. and since it is really easy and fast to ouse, it helps us.

Quality of exportation is good or you can upload it directly to YouTube.

Exportation is really slow even if the video is not that long.

iMovie review by Phoebe C.
Phoebe C.

"My go-to program for editing amateur movies "

What do you like best?

I like that it's intuitive for amateurs, easy to use, and free with Apple products (meaning I don't have to purchase or download another program for someone who likes to edit a few videos here and there, but is not too invested in it). I have used both the app on mobile (iPad and iPhone) and the program on the laptop (MacBook Air) and both are easy to use, with the laptop being more detailed and the mobile app being more quick and dirty.

What do you dislike?

I'm afraid that it takes up a lot of storage, especially on my phone.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Most everyone has some sort of Apple product these days, so it's non-committal to take a look see and play around with it. You will probably find that it's fairly intuitive to use. I personally delete the movie from iMovie after I finish editing it though, out of fear that I am taking up storage space on my mobile device.

I have helped create and edit videos for the principal at my school to show to parents, and it's gotten great feedback and reception. All content were created using iMovie and mostly edited on an iPad.

iMovie review by Reggie B.
Reggie B.

"Excellent Product"

What do you like best?

I'm just now learning to use iMovie but it is amazingly. It is so "feature-packed". I use it to edit church sermon audio and recently do green screen background testimonials for businesses and it is excellent!

What do you dislike?

It has a bit of a learning curve to it, being that it is so comprehensive. There is a lot to this program, but there is also a lot of free training out there on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a subscription to Lynda.com or get some training and it won't be that intimidating. There is a lot to this program so it has a learning curve, especially for someone like me that has no experience in video editing. But if I can pick it up, anyone can. There is a lot you can do with iMovie and I'm getting excited about the possibilities. Had someone do a video on green screen and with no experience it took me less than 30 minutes to learn how to import my own background into the video. For a free program, you just can't beat the features. Exporting to Facebook takes a while but that may just be related to settings I don't yet know about. Overall, very good product.

Before I would have to hire someone to do video editing but with iMovie and a little bit of training, I find I can do most of what I need to do myself and save a ton of money.

iMovie review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"A seamless and easy user experience that makes video editing simple"

What do you like best?

iMovie makes it incredibly simple to import video and edit it. Like all Apple products, it doesn't take long to get the hang of the product and makes something daunting like video editing very digestible.

What do you dislike?

The Media, Projects and Theaters tabs are a little confusing. I think it would be more beneficial to have one location where you import your media and save out projects. Having to create a new project every time you want to make changes but keep old projects can become frustrating when you want to access an old file but realize it's been written over.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ease of use when considering this product and the fact it's inexpensive makes it a no-brainer if you're using it for simple video and sound editing.

We work in the digital space, so iMovie is great for trimming and putting together videos for different presentations or editing a bunch of different clips to form video overlays for sections on different web applications.

iMovie review by Seth P.
Seth P.

"Poplaski iMovie Review"

What do you like best?

iMovie is very easy to use, and is designed for the every day consumer. It's comparable to more sophisticated programs such as Final Cut Pro, and it's included in many of Apple laptops that are purchased today. It's free of charge for Apple users, where a video editing software such as Final Cut Pro would cost somewhere around $300.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that it's a basic video editing program. As someone who went to school for broadcast journalism, and created video blogs on a weekly basis for my place of employment a few years back, I found that taking clips from my B Roll was difficult, and not as easy to maneuver as Final Cut Pro.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to save money, this is the product for you. I highly recommend iMovie to all beginning video editors. It's a great way to get started, and it's probably included with the Apple computer that you purchased. As long as you understand that this is a basic video editing product, you won't be disappointed.

I'm able to create TV ads for our organization at a fraction of the cost of what a video production crew would charge. The benefit of this program is that it was included on the computer when we bought it. It's made our lives much easier, and saved us money as we didn't have to purchase another video editing software for the time being. For what we do, it works well.

iMovie review by User

"Amazing for upcoming content creators"

What do you like best?

I love how simple it is to operate, un like all of the other programs, they give a lot of tools to use, at no charge, it is the best program out their for upcoming content creators.

What do you dislike?

I wish they allowed you to install custom themes, but over all it is good.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is the perfect beginner tool! I suggest using this if you are thinking of creating videos and posting them on youtube, because It is free and is very simple to use.

The cost. With apple offering this for free, it is a game changer for a lot of people who cant afford the higher end software like Final Cut.

iMovie review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"iMovie rocks!"

What do you like best?

This is Mac only, FinalCut Pro lite. iMovie comes bundled with all new Macs and updates remain free of charge. This is easy to use and efficient software for making home and professional movies. iMovie is aimed at novice users, but contains many pro-level features such as colour balance, colour correction, sound balance, cropping and video stabilization. it is all most people need for video editing.

What do you dislike?

iMovie has seen some revisions that have dropped features from previous version, but have then been brought back in subsequent versions. A complete re-write of iMovie was released a few versions ago that replaced iMovie HD. I would like to see optical disk authoring of some form brought back for DVD and Blu-ray projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have lots of drive space available for raw video footage. Macs with a solid state hard drive will be much faster at using iMovie for video creation and export.

iMovie lets me create professional quality product and service videos, as well showcasing accomplishments of some of our team and customers.

iMovie review by User in Music
User in Music

"iMovie - Simple, Basic, Free (with Mac purchase)"

What do you like best?

I like that there are templates that can help organize multiple videos and give them a common theme. There are many other features that are helpful, such as being able to cut, copy, and paste various clips of a larger movie with relative ease.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the "project" system. What I mean is that when a movie that is in-process is saved, it is saved as a new "project". The word doesn't bother me, but once I save the project I have a hard time finding it again. Sometimes, there are media items that need to be re-imported to be used again.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a friend that has a Mac and try it out. Usually, it is included with a new Mac computer purchase, so why not try before you buy? If it has the features you want, great! If not, buy something a bit more serious, like Final Cut Pro.

This product allows me to make a video of myself and send it in when I am either not feeling well or not available. The alternative to this would be finding and paying a substitute for my position, which is neither easy or cost effective.

iMovie review by Antonio S.
Antonio S.

"Edición de vídeo sencilla"

What do you like best?

iMovie es una herramienta de edición de vídeo muy fácil de manejar, es sencillo de aprender por cuenta propia y muy intuitiva para la mayoría de personas que conozco que lo maneja.

What do you dislike?

Para mi gusto, que los fundidos de música del comienzo y el final se perfeccionase un poco más, a veces queda muy rudo y un poco más de variedad en tipos de letra.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Es muy sencillo de usar y se puede aplicar en cualquier ámbito. Lo recomiendo para una iniciación a la edición de vídeos.

Facilidad para el montaje de pequeños vídeos que mostramos a los clientes de una manera sencilla y rápida.

iMovie review by Lauren J.
Lauren J.

"Great Tool for Photo Slideshows!"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of use and the ability to easily sync music and images. I also love the ability to upload easily to Vimeo and YouTube with keywords and titles.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the way I have to double-click each image to drag it down to the timeline area. Many times, I've only clicked once and it tries to select all the images instead.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool for photographers and beginning film makers. Very user-friendly and creates beautiful, professional-looking videos and slideshows. Adding music is simple and you can easily sync your music with your images. Creating transitions for your entire slideshow at once is easy, which is such a time save for me! Importing and exporting is extremely easy and intuitive - it even includes adding keywords to uploads to Vimeo and YouTube which can help your video be found in a search. I highly recommend this software to anyone in need of a product like this.

I'm able to create beautiful, professional-looking slideshows for my photography clients. They love them and it's been a great marketing tool when they share them online.

iMovie review by David D.
David D.

"Quick, Easy and Professional"

What do you like best?

iMovie is extremely easy to get started with and use. It has a decent set of templates, backgrounds and transitions for good, professional quality video editing. I can share or export not only to file, but also directly to my YouTube account and many others. It is extremely affordable.

What do you dislike?

iMovie, when pushed to it's limits, likes to corrupt movie libraries. That is a real bummer. I have found and even made videos about the work-arounds, but it eats time and for some, may mean lost content. I also wish they would allow more layers on a timeline. Come on Apple, just a few more!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a great, quick and easy way to make simple, professional videos. It is entry level, highly affordable and will get the job done, on a basic level. Certainly fine for a blogger, small business or non-profit organisation. There are many advanced hacks, if you will, possible as well.

It allows me to quickly make video content so that I can get back to work on other projects. The benefits of iMovie are huge for me. Once the video is ready, I can export right to YouTube, saving me time there too.

iMovie review by User

"Solid and easy to use video editor for basic editing"

What do you like best?

This is a great tool for basic editing and like cutting clips, adding music and simple transitions and text titles. It works really smoothly with Mac. The general controls are similar to other video editing software like Final Cut, so you can maybe get started learning on iMovie then move up to Final Cut. There are a bunch of templates designs to get you going quickly.

What do you dislike?

The options and effects are very limited compared to other video editors. There isn't as much precise control over the timeline as I'd like, but it's fine overall. Saving to certain file types can be a bit tricky and isn't as straightforward as some other video editors I've used.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a easy to use tool for those wanting to do basic editing. You can get even more out of it if you're creative, but the themes and premade elements tend to be somewhat generic. So if you're looking for something with lots of features and effects options, then this is probably not the right choice. It's a good place to start though to get used to video editing in general.

I can create videos for online media, presentation or DVDs very quickly with this software. There wasn't a lot of time needed to learn this, so that was a big time saver for myself and others using this software.

iMovie review by User

"Basic but solid and easy to use video editor"

What do you like best?

Video editing can sometimes be very complicated, but iMovie is a great tool for keeping things simple. It has a layout that is straightforward and doesn't have too many editing options, which can get overwhelming. There are lots of templates, titles and transitions you can choose from to help get your video done quickly and with style. The drag and drop features make it easy to add and remove video clips.

What do you dislike?

Customizing certain effects can be limited. Since iMovie is used by many, some of the styles might be familiar to lots of people out there. So they can maybe recognize certain titles and effects and think that the video is not professional. Saving to different file types can be confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If iMovie comes bundled with your Mac, then it's a good program to use for basic editing. Even advanced video editing staff might use this when quick and simple video editing is needed. Some of the controls are similar to other higher end video editors, so this can get you used to those controls should you decide to upgrade.

Being able to quickly put together videos. When we need basic editing, like piecing video clips together and adding voice overs and music, this software is just as good as anything else out there. The end result is usually the same.

iMovie review by User in Internet

"Great way to create your own personal or professional videos "

What do you like best?

There is a bit of a learning curve, but once you understand how those features and functionalities are used , there is a lot to play around with to make a high quality music video.

What do you dislike?

It takes bit of a ramping time as its not super intuitive of which combination of features are be used together and which cannot combine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It will be great , if it allows adding multiple videos in one frame, and multiple sound tracks can be played at once. It will be great, if we could add more overlays in one frame. Also, adding more text styles and animations in the library.

I create travel videos for personal use and DIY youtube videos as a hobby.

iMovie review by Marlon S.
Marlon S.

"Easy to Create Professional Looking Videos on iOS"

What do you like best?

Intuitive controls, Easy to use templates, very easy to share.

What do you dislike?

There are some limitations, like fonts and templates. I would like to have more control over music as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For certain effects and fonts, I will use other apps first and then import those videos into iMovie for finishing touches. As with all iOS apps, importing audio is a chore. Using mp3's and songs bought on iTunes makes things easier.

I use iMovie to create videos for social media.

iMovie review by Jenny H.
Jenny H.

"Simple and easy to use, great software for beginners"

What do you like best?

iMovie makes making videos super easy and streamlined. As someone who has used Adobe After Effects in the past to create videos, although iMovie doesn't compare to the sheer muscle of After Effect's capabilities, what iMovie does is just make it nice and simple to stitch together a video. It's great for a beginner who isn't looking to create the next blockbuster movie but wants to create a professional quality video.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything I dislike yet, it is so simple and intuitive to use and although more advanced video editors might find it limiting in its capabilities, I think for the general public it works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As mentioned in earlier parts of my review, iMovie doesn't promise to be the be all and end all of video editing and if you're looking for professional grade then head on over to Adobe's After Effects. But if you're looking to put together a simple YouTube video tutorial for example then iMovie should stand you in good stead. It's very user friendly and intuitive making layering of video elements very straight forward. I honestly didn't take any tutorials on learning iMovie and just picked it up as I went along. So very straight forward.

I was looking for a simple video editing software that would allow me to create professional quality tutorial style videos for my Skillshare classes. iMovie has allowed me to do just that and made the process very straightforward. Naturally it's time consuming clicking a video together and editing etc but the user friendly and intuitive control of iMovie have really kept it simple.

iMovie review by User in Entertainment
User in Entertainment

"iMovie: Video Editing for Beginners"

What do you like best?

iMovie is free for Apple users and is easy to use for beginners at video editing. When exporting a video, you can easily upload it to YouTube at the same time if you wish to do so. It is easy to connect your iPhotos and iTunes to iMovie, to assist in your video editing. There are also presets for movies if you want to create a family vacation montage or something for personal use in general.

What do you dislike?

If you have too many clips and projects stored, iMovie tends to run slow. You should make sure everything is backed up on an external HD before deleting to free up your storage. In addition, resources are limited because the program is free. Other advanced and expensive video editing software come with more features. But if you just want to edit videos in a simple way, iMovie provides that capability.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely consider iMovie before purchasing any additional video editing software. Test out iMovie and make sure it has the features you seek. If you want more features and to get more out of your videos, then consider another program. However, iMovie is a great free starter for beginners.

I am able to edit videos for promotional purposes in a quick and efficient manner. With my skills and the resources provided, I can create a high quality project as a result.

iMovie review by Elizabeth H.
Elizabeth H.

"Let's make a Video!"

What do you like best?

I love having the ability to present slide show videos of my photography. It is so beautiful being able to tie the photos together with music. iMovie does gets props for ease of use once you figure out how it works that is! LOL. I love how it is so much easier to use than other programs that I have attempted in the past.

What do you dislike?

Learning iMovie can be challenging. The layout is not "beginning user-friendly." I don't like the fact that the color correction for video clips isn't the easiest to use. In addition, I feel like they need to have more options when it comes overlapping pictures and a wider range of background choices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn how to use it before attempting a slide show.

Watch different "how-to" videos

Make slideshow long enough to enjoy pictures

Don't make your video too long- you want people to want to watch it until the end

Always include some music

I have been able to quickly edit my video footage.

it is a benefit that iMovie connects easily with GarageBand, Itunes & iphoto.

iMovie review by Kevin I.
Kevin I.

"Intro level editing for your basic video projects"

What do you like best?

It's free, it's easy to use, and it works across devices - I can easily switch back and forth between my iMac, my Macbook, and my iPad for a project (or even use my iPhone on the go) and while not all versions are exactly identical, it's not at all challenging to transition.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps partly a victim of its own success, the built-in templates, fonts, etc. are now readily recognizable and scream "I used free software" to those who are watching your finished project. As such, I might not recommend it for anything designed to look professional for the public.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plays well with others - this can be a good way to do a first compilation, but then you can use other apps for color correction, effects, etc.

I've found the learning curve to be tons easier with iMovie than Final Cut, and if you only dabble in this stuff and you're on the Mac platform, there's no reason not to use it.

I use this regularly for class projects (I teach in the theatre department), pre-viz for film sequences, and other such simple projects where expediency and ability to do the job are more important than professionalism. Finished projects still look fine, and I can layer video and audio and titles, use transitions, do some basic filters, and since it's on the same tablet as some other video editing apps, I often start with iMovie then open that file in another app for color-correction, special effects, etc.

iMovie review by Tim M.
Tim M.

"It's simple to use, even for someone without video editing experience!"

What do you like best?

The simplicity is great. It offers just enough functions to make a nice video but not so much that you feel overwhelmed with the user interface.

What do you dislike?

It could use a better selection of audio tracks, but royalty-free tracks aren't too hard to find online.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Considering it's free with the purchase of a Mac, you really can't beat what it offers.

I'm using iMovie a lot to run boosted posts on Facebook. They're also great for grabbing attention in email.

iMovie review by Darlanne D.
Darlanne D.

"This is great for basic video editing."

What do you like best?

I like the drag and drop features and that it's a very intuitive program for the most part. I like being able to split files up and extract them for shorter videos. I also enjoy several of the intros.

What do you dislike?

Some tasks like fading audio are not easy to figure out. I've had to Google several features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend taking a few tutorials for anything beyond the basics, but for what most users will need it for, iMovie is streamlined and simple to figure out. This is especially really good software for adding audio to photo slideshows or video clips. However, for advanced features, I'd recommend a short course on the subject.

I manage a few Facebook pages that focus on very short videos of pre-existing clips. This has helped me make it fairly streamlined and easy to go.

iMovie review by User in Music
User in Music

"Definitely the Best Free Video Editing Software"

What do you like best?

I used iMovie for years, and it is the easiest film editing software I know of. With integrated voice over recording facilities, and extensive editing options; iMovie has all the essentials for any aspiring film editor. It is a great software to build confidence in video editing.

What do you dislike?

Once you move past the stage of only requiring a software to cut up pieces of video, you start to find iMovie could fall short. When working in film professionally, it becomes essential to film in multiple frame rates and sizes, which iMovie isn't as well equipped for as other software may be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unlike other software, iMovie saves instantly, which can confuse first time users. It is also less equipped to cope with varying raw film type.

I was able to teach myself a great deal of video editing through using iMovie. Its ease of use and its beautiful simplicity makes it a fantastic beginners platform.

iMovie review by Erick S.
Erick S.

"Good for fast, marketing videos with little to no imagination"

What do you like best?

Templates make it easy to create quick movies for a variety of purposes - both personal and professional. An included library of transitions, music, sound effects and backgrounds makes it a useful tool for quick editing, especially if you don't know your way around more professional tools like Premiere or Final Cut.

What do you dislike?

Like many Apple products, iMovie is built for the lowest common denominator. There are advanced features that allow you to take a bit more control of video and audio, but it's still largely limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many tools out there for video editing - for mac users, iMovie is arguably the easiest. If you are a prosumer looking for greater control of video and audio editing - multiple video and audio and the ability to fine tune control, look at Premiere or Final Cut. There are also an increasing array of web apps available for video creation, including animation videos for how-to's and explainers that can make life even easier.

Marketing videos that need to be produced quickly and with little to no budget are easy to create with video from nearly any source - mobile phones, laptop cameras or handheld camcorders.

iMovie review by User

"Simple and Easy to use - perfect for small tasks"

What do you like best?

iMovie is created for the home-user, therefore, it is an excellent tool for creating simple videos. The user interface is so friendly and natural that requires very little to no experience in video editing. A simple trial and error will allow you to conquer the task of video creation and add some of the elements from the special effects library.

What do you dislike?

iMovie doesn't offer much beyond basic editing and transition effects, that when using in a professional setting seem cheap. It is not a right softwate for any enterprise that wants to create a pro-video. It has limited support for video stypes, limited features and can be very difficult to achieve the desired level of precision with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand the strengths and weakness of iMovie. It can be a great software for very specific uses, mostly simple, but if you try to do a professional edit with iMovie you might be setting yourself to failure.

Simple video edits. iMovie can help create many videos for internal use (not client facing). For example, elevated slideshows, instructional videos, videos to raise office morale.

iMovie review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Great for beginners"

What do you like best?

The interface and being able to get started on a project is very easy. Especially for a beginner like myself. Everything is clearly laid out. The controls are not complicated at all. Editing is also a breeze.

What do you dislike?

It's sometimes a bit gimmicky to import some media. Not to say it's bad or doesn't work, but just a slight learning curve at times involved. Also I sometimes don't understand how the libraries part of things work. And editing at times could get confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want something quick, intuitive, and easy to use to edit some simple video content. This is the right tool. Especially if you are beginner to video editing.

What I'm solving with this is being able to curate, edit, and publish video content for our website and social media channels. It's an easy to use platform and getting projects worked on is a breeze.

iMovie review by Ron R.
Ron R.

"This is the place for newbies"

What do you like best?

It's easy and intuitive to use. Post editing can be confusing, but iMovie makes it simple. I found adding voice overs, posters, still frames and blank screens was quick and easy. One of the most challenging things to handle in all movie editing software is the sound. Here you control it graphically.

What do you dislike?

Getting rid of background sound and enhancing/special effects is too limited.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Practice makes you a star

The product is built for creativity and speed.

"Fun and easy!"

What do you like best?

I usually use iMovie when I want to create a fun video introducing vocabulary for my Spanish classes. I love that there are different themes to choose from and that with very little experience with the program I can compile clips, photos, and music to create a very good video.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about the iMovie program is that some times it takes a long time to figure out different ways to improve the movies I am working on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is a great tool for any person who works in education. So far I have received very good feedback from my students, especially when I introduce new Spanish vocabulary in a fun short video. Using videos allows for students to hear, see, and then put into practice.

I use iMovie to teach different Spanish language concepts. I like to have engaging and fun representations for learning.

iMovie review by Victoria G.
Victoria G.

"Not my favourite for movie making"

What do you like best?

It comes installed on Apple products for free.

It is easy to make something quickly.

It accepts most popular camera format files and image sizes.

It is easy to upload the finished product.

What do you dislike?

File management Is really difficult.

The pan and zoom (Ken Burns) effect is on all still images by default so you have to go in and change it for each one if you don't want it. It would be better if you could choose the option (on or off ) when importing the images. A real time wasting feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If it comes with your Apple Hardware you might want to try using it.

If you need to create anything remotely professional than you need to get other software.

I count is as expensive because the software that comes with the Apple products is part of the expensive price and they are not optional.

It is a quick image or film processor but I need a better tool.

I do not use it much because editing is so difficult.

iMovie review by User in Non-Profit Organization Management
User in Non-Profit Organization Management

"Imovie Review"

What do you like best?

I like Imovie because it is a basic and easy video editing software. It allows you to make a great slideshow or movie in a short amount of time. I like the transitions, templates, and filters it provides to make your video unique and stand out. Saving the video is also helpful because you are able to save it In different formats and sizes

What do you dislike?

It is very basic so you can not add many effects besides the preloaded effects, transitions, edits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s easy to use and fast to pick up. Give it a try and see how it works for you. It will not solve all of your video editing problems but it will provide you with a basic start to editing.

We are creating short videos that are easy to put together in a short amount of time. This is beneficial since we do not have a full time video editor or producer. Instead anyone can put a short video together.

iMovie review by Elaine F.
Elaine F.

"It's easy to use, convenient and makes a pretty good movie for certain types of projects"

What do you like best?

It allows you to load any movies you have in iPhoto automatically. It makes and saves the movie file and it's easy to put clips together and arrange music behind them. I also like that I can go back and edit movies I already made. It's easy to grab a clip of a movie and add it to a longer movie. It's easy to trim the ends of a movie. The tools that let you zoom into a clip make it possible to review and select small parts of larger clips. Best of all, it's easy to learn; it has simplified the sometimes complex interface elements of more robust movie software.

What do you dislike?

For sure, this is not the same kind of professional tool used for making feature films, though if you want to put together some kinds of work, it is just fine. I sometimes need to wait a long time for my movie archive to load. Maybe there is a way to choose to only load a few clips into the library but I don't know what it is. Ever time I open iMovie, I wait for a long time for my many hours of clips in iPhoto to load.

This program is not designed with meticulous detail in mind. It's probably unfair to say that is a dislike. The ease of use is a result of the more general interface.

Every time I go to make anything in iMovie I find I need to re-learn the interface. I find adding anything takes me some trial and error to get right. The transitions between clips, adding text and text transitions is clunky and I find it hard to repeat the same text transitions several times without getting variations. Making transitions between clips is also hard to set to repeat the transition I want. I might be doing it wrong, but it seems to default to its favorite transition rather than repeating mine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For quick idea development, anything that you want to try out this is a good choice. It's easy to learn and to create something and the final quality will be as good as your original footage. It seems to be less perfect for long films or for anything where you really want to control timing, sound and the way clips fit together as that kind of precision isn't the focus of this interface. If you think making a fun movie is beyond your capability and you don't want to buy or learn complex software iMovie is a good option to consider.

I merged a large quantity of very short videos into groups of related types of things for a Masters thesis. I was easily able to review long clips for the short sections I wanted, select the seconds to use and add them to my different categories of types, add transitions and short text descriptions to the videos while eliminating the sound, which I did not need. I did not need much in the way of accuracy of start and stop or transition and iMovie worked really well for this task. I also like that I have all the source files so I can go in and edit them more if I want.

iMovie review by User in Religious Institutions
User in Religious Institutions

"User Friendly iMovie"

What do you like best?

iMovie is very user friendly. It can be easily figured out by people with little knowledge of the program. iMovie has a great variety of templates for "trailers." I have used the templates for memorial picture shows. It appears you have spent much more time on your videos than you have.

What do you dislike?

While this is great product for beginner to intermediate users it is till limited in the video effect options. More advance users may want to try a different video editing software if they would like more options. Investigate option available vs. the one you are looking to utilize.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend iMovie to others. This is the video editing soft on which I learned and I was able to learn on my own. It is an inexpensive program to try out.

iMovie has been a great aid to us in preparing memorial video, highlight videos from retreats or special events, and for grabbing the congregation's attention as we advertise upcoming events.

iMovie review by User

"Easy, drag-and-drop movie making with intuitive interface "

What do you like best?

Quick learning curve, ability to edit with relative precision in a simple interface, ability to use multiple audio tracks separate from video, can create relatively pro-level videos in-house

What do you dislike?

Ideally screen titles/graphics would be more flexible/have more options. The drag and drop editing can be a little touchy and is not as precise as ideal but gets the job done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get in and start playing around - it's possible to create really solid promo videos with a little time and practice.

Outreach, marketing, letting parents and donors know the value of our work without having to spend a fortune

iMovie review by Shae K.
Shae K.

"easy to use "

What do you like best?

Love how easy it is to use, very intuitive and user-friendly interface.

What do you dislike?

Not a ton of "free" background music (or a variety) - everything tends to sound the same after a while so you eventually have to search for something new.

we are doing short videos to use on social media and internally. We have a videographer on staff who does our long-form films, but our design team uses iMovie for short videos for specific audiences and those with a quicker turnaround.

iMovie review by Cho Yin Y.
Cho Yin Y.

"Fast and easy"

What do you like best?

As a free software that comes with a mac, iMovie has amazing features available. Its features are more complete compared to Windows Live Movie Maker and provides more flexibility in terms of editing. Its UI, being more appealing makes it seem professional grade software. Its crossfade and overlay templates are also pretty well made compared to other free software. Furthermore, iMovie offers video in video which means video merging can be done, with its built in colour fixes.

What do you dislike?

When using iMovie templates these videos often appear to be unprofessional and repetitive, much like using the default version of Bootstrap. Also, being free means that many features are missing such as the flexibility of combining more than two videos together in one shot.

In several occasions, iMovie crashes unpredictably for unknown reason and sometimes does not autosave or have the ability to recover.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider alternatives first. Also consider what the purpose for edited video is for. If it is for presentation or a simple family travel video, iMovie will save you more time. If it is for a professional grade video, consider other professional alternatives which will give you much more flexibility and features in terms of editing.

Using this piece of software has allowed me to quickly create videos for showcase of my work. Compared to Final Cut Pro or Sony Vegas, making a video in iMovie is much quicker, as it only comes with the basic tools required. This allowed me to spend more time with the filming part of the video, which sometimes is much more important than editing.

iMovie review by Megan T.
Megan T.

"User-friendly"

What do you like best?

ease of use

simple design

like ability to simply export to final cut, if needed

events and projects are easily found within the program

i like the itunes integration for soundtracks and music

importing media is easy

What do you dislike?

sometimes imovie freezes or crashes when you are working on a project - if project wasn't saved, will need to start over or pick up where last left off

it's sometimes confusing how to best save a project

Recommendations to others considering the product

playing around with imovie is the best way to learn how to use it

look into youtube videos to find out shortcuts and tricks

cutting clips, creating video montages

i've realized how easy it is to edit video and create video montages on imovie - transitions are easily accessible, adding and editing audio is easy too

iMovie review by Johnny  R.
Johnny R.

"excellent results"

What do you like best?

His pre-designed templates are easy to edit. The very fast and high resolution rendering and provides file very lightweight. Its effects and stunning transitions in their texts. An intuitive interface for creating projects from scratch with completion of sufficient quality. The program has a 100% fluent from any device used. In all the time I've used rarely it gave me errors. It requires a high degree of experience to work in its interface, any beginner can use it. 100% recommended..

What do you dislike?

Few tools to create new designs in the videos. It is limited to the default layouts, although they are very good. This limitation causes projects created in this program are somewhat monotonous compared to other users. I used this program on my iPhone with excellent results.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program is special, use the pre-designed templates will give you great satisfaction for its high quality and innovation.

Clips introduction for project presentations or events. Create professional video advertising market in many areas: Music, News, Sports. I have also used the short intros for television to announce the schedule. Example: movies, sports, news, documentaries. Also to project short videos in events such as: weddings, business meetings, religious gatherings, birthdays ...

iMovie review by Brandon B.
Brandon B.

"iMovie is easily accessible and perfect for beginners"

What do you like best?

I like that it is in an easy interface for any user. It doesn't take a lot of research or guidance to figure out how to use the program successfully. I am a beginner (and believe I always will be) so I can not speak to more advanced features of this program.

What do you dislike?

sometimes the export files can be massive and are not easy to send, or the quality is too low

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its a great software for the basics, its advanced features may be more helpful, but I haven't had to get as involved with those features so can not speak to them.

we use them to edit videos for clients, often having to sew together files of different sizes and bit rates but iMovie handles it all very well.

iMovie review by Andrew G.
Andrew G.

"Easy Editor and Great Quality"

What do you like best?

I've used many different video editors and iMovie had me pleasantly surprised with the quality I got in such a short time. I like that you have the option to create your own projects with your own transitions, text etc... you can really make a movie project your own but if you're in a rush and just want something to look nice but not take too much time iMovie has some great templates that you just upload your video to and iMovie does all the rest... a few minutes later you have a great video ready to publish.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I have to say that I dislike is the way you have to upload the video clips before you can use them in the project. There are times where I want to use a clip for one project and don't want that clip stored on my computer hard drive. Having the ability to use clips without having to upload them even just to see them would be a great feature.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a Mac and you like to make short movies I think it is very much worth getting.

We needed a last minute video for a product, we usually use more professional level programs for editing BUT iMovie has saved us time more than once. It is great to have this program available to use when we're dealing with a time crunch or just want to throw together a quick video.

iMovie review by Sophocles G.
Sophocles G.

"When you want to make a movie and need ease of editing and processing."

What do you like best?

Ease of use. iMovie is such a breeze when importing files and editing that you can easily go from footage to final movie. The export features even allow for ease of upload to social media so I have more time to film and share rather then sit and edit. It surprisingly can accept a lot of formats and with the ability to edit audio separately you can really get a custom feel to your work by even just adding a music track to your video. Another really cool feature is having preset templates, it really helps to have a quick and simple go to template when sharing videos with friends to make it better then just showing a loose video clip.

What do you dislike?

Some of the menu functions could have some more options. It would be nice if some of the presets had some options rather then be set in stone. Also if they had a royalty free audio library, nothing big but a small sampling of background audio would really help with a lot of videos that have too much silence.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a simple video editor or even a way to modify an existing video to trim or add titles then this is the easiest way to go.

Needed something simple that could organize multiple sources of footage but not as complex as a professional software so I could just get a simple edit and share.

iMovie review by Jason L.
Jason L.

"A neat software for creating your own movies"

What do you like best?

I like how I can cram as much material in to my movie as possible, whether it be a montage of pictures and music, or my own series of movies. There are lots of options of themes for templates.

What do you dislike?

You will have to relearn how to use it every time you open the application, and some options do not seem intuitive. But after using it enough and getting used to the controls then it is a simple editing software, which will get the job done for amateur editors and professional editors alike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try using it with another person the first few times you edit a movie. Then you discover together on how to edit, and it becomes much more fun. You also get to collaborate and get others' input before you create the final product.

It is great software for a multimedia presentation when I do not need to make a powerpoint. I can also upload my footage to youtube, which is always a lot of fun to share and is rewarding to see others' inputs.

iMovie review by Brian S.
Brian S.

"iMovie is perfect for the average Mac user to make stunning home movies"

What do you like best?

The price is right (FREE) with any new Mac and the user interface is pretty straightforward and easy to get started in a flash. The ability to create a professional looking movie trailer in just a few clicks is very impressive.

What do you dislike?

With each update of iMovie, they (Apple) seem to change how things work/look and it can be very frustrating. Currently, not being able to resize the sidebar to read my entire text of where I stored movie clips is very cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you own a Mac, head over to the Mac App Store and download it for free. Try it out and see if it suits your needs. There are many tutorials on the internet to help get you started if you feel stuck.

Being able to produce/edit movie clips into quality movies which family and friends enjoy watching is the main goal, and iMovie is pretty decent at doing just that.

iMovie review by Amy B.
Amy B.

"Great editing"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to edit videos. I can add and delete videos very easily, even though I'm awful with technology.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is very slow to upload new clips. I try to upload them more than once because I'm not sure if its actually in the process of uploading them.

I am finding ways to be more creative.

iMovie review by Floriane G.
Floriane G.

"Useful for simple videos"

What do you like best?

It's pretty easy to get started, even for a beginner like me!

What do you dislike?

I working on simple projects. Not sure I'd be able to produce more specific content.

I'm not a video makers and we don't have such a specialist in our team. iMovie gives me the ability to create content easily. No need to spent hours on tutorials, you'll find the functionalities you need pretty quickly.

iMovie review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"iMovie - the poor man's Final Cut Pro"

What do you like best?

iMovie is easy to use and comes with your mac. No extra money required. Exporting movies is also a breeze with it's share button. Lots of filter and title card options. Can make projects quickly that look like they took effort.

What do you dislike?

Editing audio is a major pain in iMovie. For the most part I will carry audio into protools, edit it there then bounce an edited wav into imovie for even the simplest of cuts. iMovie is best for basic editing, nothing complex.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're working on something that requires limited editing, this is the program for you. If you want to add complex audio and visual cuts, invest in something else.

I use iMovie for side projects at work, usually things to boost morale and use as an outlet for my creativity when work projects can be dull.

iMovie review by Alexandra M.
Alexandra M.

"iMovie- edit like a pro"

What do you like best?

Very robust. You can do pretty much anything you would ever need to a video. Love that you can also edit the audio of a video right in the same spot.

What do you dislike?

Because it's sos robust, it can definitely take some time to learn. I'm not a video expert just have to do video sometimes for work so I wasn't familiar with a lot of the functions, but once you get the hang of it it's great!

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great but not just anyone can pick it up. You need someone who is pretty good with technology and is comfortable with video editing at least somewhat or is willing to take the time to learn it.

Use iMovie for marketing in terms of sharing success stories mostly (I work for a nonprofit).

iMovie review by User in Information Technology and Services

"No experience needed. An understanding of software is all you need."

What do you like best?

This program has really helped me in a bind many times. I didn't watch any tutorials, I went in and kind of explored on my own and learned while I use it. (That's my style with a lot of programs, but I'm sure there a million youtube videos to get started). I love the ease of use, especially for not knowing any other video programs. I'm at my core an Adobe Creative Suite user, and this works seamlessly with that.

What do you dislike?

I think there are lack of effects (filter, transitions, text effects). I always start with a blank canvas (not a pre-installed video template) It's easier. I import from either Photoshop or Illustrator for elements beyond the videos you can easily add to your media gallery.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it! If you're a designer in advertising that wants to get into making short commercials/ ads/homepage videos... this is a great and FREE way (if you have a mac and it is pre-installed. This is perfect)

I've used iMovie to create YouTube pre-roll videos for clients. Around 1min max. They came out exceptionally beautiful and powerful. With these, especially, I was surprised by the ease of incorporating a lot of different short clips, transitions, and an audio track.

iMovie review by Nick S.
Nick S.

"This tool is practical for ammeter film makers"

What do you like best?

This free tool is perfect for quick cuts and easy workflow.

What do you dislike?

There are many limitations to this product which makes premiere pro and final cut pro a much better option for professional use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie can't do everything, but what it can do is create simple movies and give entry level editors a free solution to create movies.

iMovie has practical benefits because it is free and easy to use. If someone needs to put together a video quick with few cuts then iMovie is perfect for you.

iMovie review by Administrator in Music
Administrator in Music

"iMovie is a great tool for videos and multimedia projects."

What do you like best?

iMovie has an abundance of features for making professional, high-quality presentations. I love that you can take a "simple" project and make it look of the utmost quality.

What do you dislike?

iMovie's strength is in its amount of features. However, one can easily get "bogged down" with too many items that can complicate the process. I wish there was a little more streamlining with some of the many, but great, features.

I am using iMovie to make presentations for my team, including "performance" and "practice" videos. I also use it to make a presentation to cast vision for upcoming trips.

iMovie review by Sarah S.
Sarah S.

"Basic Video Editting"

What do you like best?

I am not experienced with video at all. I can somehow get by using iMovie. I like that you can add clips together somewhat easily. I usually use this when I want to add a logo to the video or music overlay.

What do you dislike?

There's not much I know about iMovie other than the basics. Based on the way I use it, there isn't much I dislike. I suppose I would make it a little easier to use and change the settings of the music curve - sometimes the fade out is too long or too short and you are limited to how it fits.

We are solving our marketing efforts, and this is a pretty cheap program. I purchased it for $20! It gets us by and the ROI can't be matched LOL Great for beginners and those looking for way to create video content.

iMovie review by Janna G.
Janna G.

"Doesn't always work as well as I would like on my ipad."

What do you like best?

This is a great tool for quick and easy editing. Great tutorials available!

What do you dislike?

I run across quite a few hiccups when using - which of course is very frustrating. Mostly this is in regard to dragging, placing or cutting. It sometimes takes a few "swipes" to get things in the right places.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool for getting something completed quickly and being able to use the media on your device. The tutorials are helpful and there are great themes to choose from. Incredibly easy to export to youtube, Vimeo, etc.

We use this mostly for quick video testimonials for our clients, I have done a few personal projects myself for friends/ family.

iMovie review by Sheryl C.
Sheryl C.

"Easy Video Creation for Everyone"

What do you like best?

iMovie has a very simple interface that can get you up and running very quickly.

What do you dislike?

You are limited with what you can do with titles by the pre-sets that it comes with. If you want to do anything more sophisticated, you need to use Final Cut or Adobe Premier. You are also limited with some of the other effects as well, but the quick learning curve makes it worth while.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch a few video tutorials on YouTube or Lynda.com because the online help is not that good. But play around with it and you will get the hang of it quickly.

I can easily create video montages for friends as well as for clients that look professional.