iMovie

iMovie for Mac lets you enjoy your videos like never before. Browse your clips easily, instantly share your favorite moments, and create Hollywood‑style trailers and beautiful movies at stunning 4K resolution.

Work for iMovie?

Learning about iMovie?

iMovie Reviews

Showing 209 iMovie reviews
iMovie review by Alexandria P.
Alexandria P.

"Novice to Expert in days"

What do you like best?

What I love about iMovie is that it's really simple to use. You don't have to be terribly proficient with editing to use the software. And if you are proficient then you can easily turn something ordinary into the extraordinary. It has a very sleek design, and it's not crowded, clutched or hard to navigate.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to say what I dislike for iMovie because it's so easy to use. However there is always room for improvement,

Recommendations to others considering the product

The number one thing I would suggest is adding more templates. Simply for those that don't have a creative vision in mind, they'll be able to customize a video template to help express themselves or their project. I am always a huge advocate of tutorials that are located on the application. This way the user is able to learn without having to outsource other applications for help.

I use iMovie for making game trailers and simple presentation that need to shine. No one likes death by powerpoint, so why not use a video instead?

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about iMovie
iMovie review by Hannah M.
Hannah M.

"Simple, clean, easy to use!"

What do you like best?

I like how everything is there at my fingertips! I don't have to go searching through several windows to find what I need. Drop down menus and pop-up windows make it to where I don't have to look away from my video editing, even when I'm searching for the perfect sound-effects.

What do you dislike?

One of the recent updates kept causing my software to crash, but when the newest update came out, it solved the issue. In terms of actual editing, I find it mildly irritating that I can't layer multiple overlays over one clip of video... but in the grand scheme of things, it's a small complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely play around with the product! This software can do a lot of fun and interesting things in terms of editing. This is what I used to start my YouTube channel, and I know multiple "big" YouTubers STILL choose to use iMovie, even though they are rich & can afford something "better."

I use iMovie for editing YouTube videos & this is so far the best program I've used.

What Video Editing solution do you use?

iMovie review by Nicoleta S.
Nicoleta S.

"Straight Forward, Easy, Starter Editing Software"

What do you like best?

iMovie is super simple to learn and most people can master all of the features in a short amount of time. It dabbles in a little bit of every aspect of editing and has great effects and features for such a basic software. One of my favorite things about iMovie is how easy it is to edit audio layers precisely, with little to no previous experience in audio clips.

What do you dislike?

iMovie is pretty easy to outgrow fairly quickly. After using and mastering all of the features in a short amount of time, it can leave you wanting more from it. One of my biggest dislikes is the lack of text fonts and styles that can be layered over the videos.

We use iMovie multiple times a week to create short intros and ads to point people from other social media platforms to our Youtube channel. If you need to create a quick, simple project, it is the perfect go to.

iMovie review by Ryan S.
Ryan S.

"Great introductory video editing software despite shortfalls"

What do you like best?

The fact that iMovie is free to download with a Mac computer makes Apple a desirable option for designers and those looking to have access to a basic video editing software. Even as I have become more experienced in video editing, I continue to use iMovie because of its easy-to-use interface, simplicity, and its free price.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that there was slightly more functionality in certain areas of iMovie or plug-ins that could be downloaded to provide additional functionality. In particular, I wish that I could overlay images like speech bubbles and cartoons similar to the way text can be, but I have been unable to do this or find a plug-in that would allow this. More flexibility with text on the video would give iMovie all of the functionality I would need, and I think most novice filmmakers, to create basic movies.

iMovie has allowed my research lab to produce videos at no cost to us. We have been able to test different styles of videos during a research project easily and effectively, which has been incredibly useful for our research moving forward.

iMovie review by Greggory D.
Greggory D.

"Great for the Simple Edit"

What do you like best?

We use iMovie to edit short animated walkthroughs of exhibit spaces to use in client presentations. Most of our edits are simple with slight color tweaks, speed, cropping, panning, and simple transitions, but iMove handles this wonderfully.

What do you dislike?

While handling the simple edits well, if I wanted to take the big leap into a more professionally edited video, I would likely have to look elsewhere for a larger palette of editing tools. The Ken Burns effect is nice and all, but can be laggy when using a high DPI image.

We are using iMovie to cut animations of rendered spaces for clients to see. Too often, when we take a client through a digital model with live clicking, we encounter lags, or other unforeseen miscues. This can be distracting and tedious. iMovie allows us to showcase a polished, sexy product that the client can feel excited about.

iMovie review by Micah P.
Micah P.

"Simple!"

What do you like best?

There is a very easy user interface to this program. It has professional quality options, yet grandma could use it to make a slideshow of her favorite pictures from christmas last year. The fact that it can be used on mobile devices, and shared projects between there and the Mac computers is a very nice feature for people working on more difficult or lengthy projects!

What do you dislike?

The simplicity of use means it doesnt offer as many features as the big name programs for video editing. Essentially this is just apple's version of Movie Maker. It is simple, effective, but not really the one I would use for doing major video editing, or trying to even make a very clean bumper promo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are wanting a clean looking video to use for a presentation, IMovie is a good option! It will help you get the job done quickly and effectively. Keep in mind that this is not a product to compare to Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro... This is meant for more simple work on a quick basis. Easy user interface will help this one stick around for a long time!

The caption editing has really helped us to get the word out from our organization!

iMovie review by Nathan L.
Nathan L.

"Simple process for my simple needs"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to cut my videos into the length I need.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, perhaps due to a glitch, it won't allow me to click and draw in order to cut the clip.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the ropes and really get into the details. I don't think I use iMovie as much or as well as I could. I'm not a film guy, so I get by, but I'm sure I could do a lot more and a lot higher quality stuff if I learned more about the capabilities of iMovie.

The main use we have for iMovie is cutting videos of our church's worship service down to just the sermon. We then post the sermon video, with intro and outro, and also grab the audio for our sermon podcast.

iMovie review by Daniel K.
Daniel K.

"A user-friendly editing tool for simple videos and presentations"

What do you like best?

The interface and controls in iMovie are extremely simple and easy to navigate and use. I think beginner and advanced video editors can use iMovie to create professional quality videos. The cursor and timeline controls and very intuitive. There are several hot keys we can use to make the process more smooth and streamlined. I like that we can see a preview image of a clip on the timeline for reference. Resizing and moving clips is done in a natural way with draggable endpoints and clips that can pop into position with automatic snapping.

What do you dislike?

There are definitely limited effects when it comes to iMovie editing. Most of the effects that stand out are basic effects like clip transitions and text titles. There aren't huge libraries of effects plugins we can add like in other more professional video editing software. Exporting the final video file is not a very smooth or customizable process. We're presented with just a few options that aren't always suitable for my video project specifications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is probably best for simple video editing where you need to add a few video clips, images, sound files (like voice-overs or background music) and text. If you need further processing, I'd recommend using a separate effects editor, like Adobe After Effects, and importing the processed video into iMovie for basic timeline editing.

I have been able to use iMovie to create simple and straightforward business presentations with still images and text. I also use it to piece short video clips together where something is being demonstrated visually. When I need to generate a video quickly, iMovie has been a great solution due to its intuitive controls and relatively fast processing times.

iMovie review by User

"Great Tool for Everyone!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is that you don't need to be a professional videographer or have prior video editing experience in order to create videos using iMovie. I needed it for a video project where I had to compile different videos together and add a voice over and I was able to do so very easily using this.

What do you dislike?

iMovie does not let you choose which format you would like to export your videos in, which can be frustrating and may require to convert the file of the video later in order to be able to post it on social media.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Since iMovie is free and it comes with apple products by default, it makes complete sense to use it as its free. Id highly reccomend, especially over the pricier alternatives.

A problem that we solved using iMovie is that we were finally able to add voiceover and compile videos that were to be posted on our social media pages. This made it a lot easier to make videos, rather than relying on a professional videographer.

iMovie review by User

"Great for New Video Editors!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is how easy it is to use iMovie. All I need to do is import the photos and videos I want to include as well as the music. Then, I can easily use snippets and make video transitions and make short video clips for free!

What do you dislike?

One of the issue is how limited iMovie is. There's not much you can do besides basic video editing such as trimming videos or combining videos. If you want to do real post-production edits, then iMovie is not the best application for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great for short videos and if it's for simple tasks such as creating videos for social media. However, for more professional quality videos, I'd recommend looking into alternative applications that can allow you to do more than just basic video editing.

We needed to post videos on our social media platforms and this allowed me to make short videos that we were able to post without having a professional videographer do it for us.

iMovie review by Bethany M.
Bethany M.

"iMovie is User Friendly"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to sit down at the computer, open iMovie, and create a completed project in a couple hours' time. The learning curve is very small, as the program is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the click-and-drag function is less than ideal. iMovie does not always allow you to drag your media into the creation space from, for example, a computer desktop. Additionally, as with other apple products, apple does not always provide solutions for common, known issues online. It is often more helpful to search forum posts in order to solve a recurring problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a Macintosh computer, this application should be your first attempt in movie or slideshow creation.

iMovie is a great, free (for macs) option that allows anyone to create a movie production. You can add music from an audio file and pictures from an event to quickly create a slideshow. If you want to add more detail, you may--simply click on a given picture in the slideshow and edit the number of seconds it will be shown, how it enters and exits the screen, and so on.

iMovie review by Karl T.
Karl T.

"A simple video editor with intuitive controls"

What do you like best?

I love the intuitive functionality, which includes being able to drag and drop video assets such as video clips, images and sound files into the project timeline. We can also quickly adjust the end points of video clips by dragging either end left or right. The resized or sliced clips are then able to snap back to adjoining clips, which really helps to speed up the editing process.

What do you dislike?

I don't really like the special effects features that are included in iMovie. They don't have the professional feel that some other software, like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro, have in their built-in effects. There also isn't a very diverse selection of output files for rendered iMovie videos. iMovie steers you towards common file types like MOV and MP4 and don't show you a ton of other options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend iMovie for basic video editing. It is very intuitive and allows you to resize, slice and move clips very quickly. If you can take time to learn the hot keys, then the editing process can be even smoother and faster for you.

iMovie has been great for straightforward footage editing and adding background music to videos. I use many different editors for different effects, but iMovie is one of the easiest for adjusting video clips alone. I can render these clips at full resolution so no image quality is lost when I import the video into a different application.

iMovie review by Victor P.
Victor P.

"Easy and quick video editing"

What do you like best?

iMovie has been around since 1999, before Mac OS X. It's user-friendly, yet it contains some advanced features normally found on far more complex applications. For quickly editing simple videos, it's hard to go wrong with it. The user interface is intuitive and approachable, and yet it gives you access to powerful and precise tools.

What do you dislike?

Former versions supported dual-screen operation, with timeline and tool palettes on one display, and a full screen preview of the video being trimmed in another. The current version only uses a single display, which is a serious productivity hindrance especially for those using iMovie on a laptop. Its ability to remove hiss and hum from less-than-stellar audio could use beefing up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're on a Mac, this will be your first video editor. Don't look down on it just because it's bundled with the operating system, it's really quite capable if you'll learn to use its basic features, and there's room to grow before you'll have to migrate to a more advanced NLE (nonlinear editor). The good news is that if you move to Final Cut Pro, you can import your iMovie projects directly into it.

I often use iMovie to edit short how-to videos of specific software functions, to quickly explain to customers what would otherwise take a lengthy textual description.

iMovie review by User

"iMovie is very user-friendly and reliable."

What do you like best?

The best part about iMovie is how user-friendly it is and how much of a reliable video editing tool it is. It is a great intro level video editing tool that can even be accessed from an iPhone. Also, you can upload content straight to YouTube from the iMovie software.

What do you dislike?

Overall, I am satisfied with this software but I don't like how much space iMovie projects take on your computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is very simple to use and can do anything a video-editing software should. You can use it on any iOS devices. Also, it allows for direct uploads to YouTube.

iMovie has the capacities of a very professional software for video editing, and the interface is easy to get used too. It is not overwhelming and can do a lot for its price point. iMovie comes with beautiful titles and special effects.

iMovie review by Jamie C.
Jamie C.

"Great for simple and straightforward videos"

What do you like best?

The user interface is neat and easy to navigate. I can take a look at the interface and almost instantly know how to use the software. I like that I can drag and drop files directly into the software from my computer's folders. I can then drag those clips right into my video project's timeline for editing. The controls for splitting clips and adjusting clip length are very intuitive and allow me to quickly cut and piece video clips together.

What do you dislike?

iMovie has relatively limited effects options. If you want to do advanced editing, like color correction or video stabilization, the available options make it difficult to render high quality results. The transition and titles effects don't look very professional and are not highly customizable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a Mac computer and are not very familiar with video editing software, iMovie is a great place to start. If you need more advanced editing tools, you should give Final Cut Pro a try. The controls are similar to iMovie's controls and it has many features for customizing and fine tuning your videos.

I'm able to quickly create videos with decent quality for use in social media, presentation and our website. We can deliver our company message in a more robust way with iMovie videos by adding titles and voice overs.

iMovie review by Rares M.
Rares M.

"Ideal Software for Beginners "

What do you like best?

What I like most about iMovie is the ease of use and the friendly interface which makes the software ideal for beginners or quick projects. When a video needs to be done and you have not much time or resource (or experience whatsoever with movie editing software), iMovie comes in handy all the time. The implicit templates are helpful as well if you don't care about the outcome to be original, but if you do, making your own simple edits and effects is not rocket science at all either!

What do you dislike?

While very simple to use, the software has a lot of limitations compared to more professional and more "complicated" software. In means of implicit content and templates, there is not much variety and the content produced, will thus look very repetitive and standard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As with every content creating tool or software, it takes a bit of practice to get used to it; but you'll be a pro in no time. Don't just stick to the implicit templates and try to be creative and make your own visuals and use own footage and sound too in order to create an original video project

I use iMovie at work for simple video projects such as content for our social media channels; tutorials and guides on how to use our products and services as well as to create short internal videos such as educational content for our colleagues and volunteers.

iMovie review by Herring M.
Herring M.

"Great video creating and editing solution "

What do you like best?

The ease of use of this software is so great. I have used other software and this one by far is the best. Software is very ease to pick up and catch on. It has good templates and themes. I love the green screen feature and still photo capture.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could do more with the themes be able to change their colors, etc. Have more stock themes, transitions, title frames, etc. I would like to be able to creat my own title frames having words enter and exit how I want them to go not what is set.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it! I would make the switch. You will not be disappointed. I had to use another software for a class I was taking I got very frustrated and just wanted to use iMovie the whole time and couldn't. I promise you can't go wrong making the switch to iMovie.

I use to creat commercials, feature events, news stories, and instructional videos. The benefits are huge especially for schools. We are able to create and spotlight our school, students, and teachers. Students are able to create and spotlight themselves for school, class projects, etc.

iMovie review by Richard G.
Richard G.

"Quick and Easy to learn feature packed Video Editing software"

What do you like best?

iMovie is intuitive and the user interface very easy to navigate.. I like the preset templates for create quick promotional videos and the built-in transitions and overlays are very useful.

What do you dislike?

The way in which files and projects are stored and accessed can be a bit confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take some time to create a few test videos and you will see how easy it is to use the software. As you become more comfortable you can incorporate more of the advanced features such as chromakey.

iMovie allows me to create video sequences for both promotional and on stage use. It is easy to use which means that I am more likely to incorporate video projection into performances than before.

iMovie review by Erin S.
Erin S.

"Novice Video Production"

What do you like best?

This software is perfect for an extremely fast project, like a social media post or photo montage. There are some great features for beginners who are trying to get into video production. The drag and drop option makes it easy to add media to your project.

What do you dislike?

I have been editing video for more than a decade, so this software is not for me. I have used it when I am in a bind, but would not turn to it for a serious project. It is extremely limited. It is difficult to manipulate media, add unique graphics, movement, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would not recommend this product for professional use.

I do not use this to solve issues in my career.

iMovie review by Ben P.
Ben P.

"iMovie has more features than people realize!"

What do you like best?

This video editor is EASY to use! it is seriously one of the highest quality, yet simple to use products out there. Has enough features to let you do some real work, yet also is easy enough that your grandma can put a slideshow together of her trip to Branson!

What do you dislike?

I wish it had just a few more features! It would be nice for it to integrate some color correction, pic on pic, and a little more freedom to adjust clips and transitions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is not going to be the best movie software you have ever had, but it will help you get the job done fast and easy and allow you to serve the customers you have!

This has helped us create videos for many of our events in a short time, and even on the fly as we use it on an Ipad or phone!

iMovie review by Matthew L.
Matthew L.

"An indispensable tool for the trade"

What do you like best?

The range of functionality, relative ease of use compared to over movie making software, and the quality transitions and effects make this inexpensive software extremely valuable for the small business owner. The videos I create come out looking like Hollywood films, which is attractive to my customers and audience on social media.

What do you dislike?

There is some limited advanced functionality that could be changed. Some functions are counter-intuitive at times, and more effects packages could be made available to the average user that is advancing to an expert user.

Creating professional products is easy with iMovie, and my business thrives on high quality audio visual material. The product provides a platform with which I am able to expose my audience to my own music, the work I do visually, and to talk with my audience on a personal level.

iMovie review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"I love iMovie! I use it all the time!"

What do you like best?

iMovie is perfect for me. I have a Mac and started using iMovie for editing my videos for YouTube. I'm just beginning, so I wasn't looking to buy a professional video editing software. I love that iMovie gives you everything you need to edit the video, add or remove or edit audio, and create a professional looking video without the cost!

What do you dislike?

I really haven't found anything I don't like about iMovie. I think it's a really great system to start learning how to edit videos. I've been able to do everything I could think of with iMovie.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Honestly, you're going to learn so much using iMovie if you're not a professional video editor. It gives you everything you need to get what you want done, plus some. I highly recommend starting with iMovie and then branching out once you feel more than comfortable and are wanting more. I've been using iMovie for over a year, and still find that it meets my needs.

My business is all online, and I'm building a YouTube channel. iMovie is allowing me to save money to use in other ways to build my business. It's also allowing me to work on my creativity and advance my skills in media and graphic design/editing.

iMovie review by nicole g.
nicole g.

"Perfect for business"

What do you like best?

I like that I can make a more engaging video of my content to share instead of just photos

What do you dislike?

I would like more theme choices especially some geared toward business and advertising. Most on there now are more family oriented. It would be great for apple to add a business side to the options

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perfect for making a family or business marketing video. It’s short and sweet and to the point you can add any photos you like and change the captions and story line to your liking to meet your business and advertising needs

Marketing. People are more engaged with video

iMovie review by Jimmy C.
Jimmy C.

"iMovie Rocks!"

What do you like best?

Makes it very easy to put together great looking videos with music and/or titles

What do you dislike?

Editing audio is a pain. The crazy thing is that it was actually easier to do this in the earlier version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is great for making quick videos. Also, if you want to have lots of fun, try creating a Trailer. They are amazing! It will make you look like a real pro. Amaze your friends and clients. For the price, you can not beat this video editor. The only downside is that it only works on Mac.

Making quick great looking videos for little or no money.

iMovie review by User in Higher Education

"iMovie-a Great Teaching Tool"

What do you like best?

iMovie is a great tool for showcasing the basics of movie editing in software. The layout of the software makes it easy to walk students through in introducing them to how to make a video (particularly a music video in my case). Students love being able to go through and edit clips and add special effects and wording.

What do you dislike?

As much as I love the software, I dislike the fact that it frequently crashing in the middle of my using it. Often, it will freeze when I am in the middle of a project which makes it rather difficult to complete the projects myself and students are working on. In addition, I find it difficult to operate the various clips that I am trying to compile together and do not enjoy the layout of that particular function in the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is a great tool for editing software for personal and business use and it is most definitely a great tool for beginners, as it was specifically designed with amateurs in mind. You must have an Apple Product to use this software, and I suggest using it with a higher grade Mac in order to get the most out of the experience.

Apple designed iMovie to be a software that amateurs can use. Because of this, the software is extremely easy to use, especially for students/beginners. It is easy to explain to my new users and easier when users have previously experienced the software.

iMovie review by User

"iMovie helps me show the beauty of community"

What do you like best?

iMovie is easy to use and can be used for a myriad of projects including video advertisements, slideshows, and commercials. I love the simplicity of exporting video to different formats and that you can publish straight from the application.

What do you dislike?

The limited number of templates and pre-sets for making videos that are provided. I want something that is easy to use and helps me save time with lots of options. I also would like more modern effects, not the same fade in and fade out as all of the other video editors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take a look at some tutorials online and dive in. Have a Graphic Designer or someone with graphics experience set up “slides” or animation for your videos to make them shine. This is a great program for beginners who have time to dive in and play around with the tools and features to see what works best.

Creating eye-catching videos with iMovie helps draw visitors to social media and websites. People on social media love watching videos and having this tool to create high-quality video helps our business get attention.

iMovie review by Carly L.
Carly L.

"Great & Easy To Use"

What do you like best?

It's simple, easy to use & easy to teach to others. You can almost teach yourself anything you want to do. You can easily add music, photos, video clips, and create movies with them. You can also edit clips, change sound, add sound clips over your files, and merge them together. It's a simple solution for making high grade movies for all sorts of promos, marketing, events, and social platforms. We can also speed up the videos to make tutorials shorter for Instagram etc.

What do you dislike?

You have to save a new project every time you create a video. If you shorten a video clip, it automatically saves all the edits instead of creating 2 separate videos with no "save as" option. If you need to shorten a video or make changes to another that you want to keep, you have to start over. It takes a lot of work to figure out more advanced settings for editing & the visual tools are somewhat limited. You might need to use extra software for advanced graphics.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product. Easy to use for basic video creating, sound clips, editing other videos, or making videos of multiple media types.

We don't have to hire a videographer or editor to create content for social media. It's so simple to use that we can do it in house & save the cost of a pro. It's a tool that we can use for all types of events, marketing, retail partners, and more. We can also use it to clip videos from other people who promote our brands, youtube videos, etc. and shorten videos to make them accessible on our website or retail websites.

iMovie review by Laura P.
Laura P.

"Apple friendly program to great movies and videos"

What do you like best?

I use iMovie very often for both work and pleasure purposes. It has some really nice features including titles and effects that can be used to improve the quality of any video. There are many nifty ways to loop together and layer clips to create a more interesting movie.

What do you dislike?

There have been many glitches in the iMovie program. For instance, the date and time stamps are often incorrect and I have also run into many importing problems after installing the new editions of imovie. I contacted the apple support and they were not able to help me with my issues using iMovie.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have had many problems using iMovie after doing software updates on my MacBook. The imovie program was working perfectly before I updated to MacOS Sierra. Now iMovie freezes during importing and has errors in the date/time stamps.

We create many videos for clients using imovie. It is our primary video editing program we use. I have created both long and short videos with ease using imovie. I have only ever had problems with importing and time stamps.

iMovie review by User in Motion Pictures and Film
User in Motion Pictures and Film

"Great for teaching and for basic editing!"

What do you like best?

I use iMovie to teach beginning film students to edit. Its a great program for the basics, and helps me teach intro editing concepts! Its great for short, simple projects, too!

What do you dislike?

There are not a ton of options in iMovie like you get with more advanced professional editing tools. I wish it had more options for fine-tuning projects, like being able to cut clips with more precision.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an inexpensive and easy way to jump in and learn to edit. I like that you can also use it on your phone! I have used it on my phone many times to put a quick video together to upload or share with someone. I don't use it on my phone generally for professional purposes, but its quick, easy and looks good and gets the job done, which I really appreciate. I love being able to use it for teaching, because the learning curve is short and simple, and allows me to get to the important things faster!

I teach a film class to teenagers. I love using iMovie for the beginners. Its a great program for an intro to editing. Because its easy to use, students can learn how to use it quickly, and that allows me to spend more time on concepts of editing (storytelling, impact, etc...) and get them focused on thinking about the project they want to put together, more then being focused on how to use the software. It also is a great tool for jumping off to more professional software later, since they learn all the basics, and then can find and use those tools when they move to more advanced/professional software as they become more proficient.

iMovie review by Aaron B.
Aaron B.

"Easy, Best way to create short films"

What do you like best?

It allows easy creation of videos by importing photos or videos to use, or using the templates. Rendering takes only minutes and your video is easy to complete and share to Social media. You are able to create real production with overlays and all the tools are there for professional videos.

What do you dislike?

There is a lack of instruction and how to for the first time of use. It takes playing around with to get used to everything and sometimes you need to do your research on certain features to know how to use them, but after a few times, it is very easy. Some of the templates are very cheap and would never be used also...

Recommendations to others considering the product

The first time you use, be sure to do some research on what are you are trying to accomplish. If you are looking to do an overlay, that is the most tricky part but easy guides can be find online.

We create commercials for our products and promo videos. It makes it very easy to upload to Youtube or other Social outlets that we wish to share our videos on.

iMovie review by Angel M.
Angel M.

"iMovie"

What do you like best?

This app is easy to use; the fact that I can export all my media files into the app makes it worth it. By being able to have all my video files (and even some photos) it makes creating, and editing a video painless, since I can see all my files and pick the ones I need and put them in the order that I need them in.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, however, it takes a while for the files to export or that it won't accept a particular file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

As I said before it is nice to be able to look at all my media files that I have uploaded. It is also nice that I can go back and edit old videos, I have put together, to make them fit the needs of the company now

This is a great way to showcase my job and what it is that my company does.

iMovie review by Debi P.
Debi P.

"Pretty much does everything you need - quickly"

What do you like best?

There is a lot of functionality built into iMovie at a fraction of the cost of many other editing programs. It's simple enough to edit slick looking pieces very quickly. You can adjust the picture, use titles, edit audio and video separately, use green screen and several other effects. I have friends in the television industry who find that iMovie is all they really need to get straight-forward productions completed quickly. I've had the same experience as a freelancer using video shot on DSLRs, handycams, phones, sports cameras and professional video cameras. iMovie will handle many video and audio file types for pretty much any need. It's been my go-to for years, after confronting the learning curve of the much more expensive editing software systems.

What do you dislike?

You are limited in the graphics you can use and iMovie doesn't always play nice with automated uploads to services such as YouTube or Facebook. If you need more specialized graphics or animated type effect, you won't get that with iMovie. There are several automated graphics options in iMovie, but I find them limiting, and don't use them much. Unless I'm missing something (and I've searched) the latest version of iMovie (purple) also appears to have eliminated the ability to export clips in multiple video formats in favor of .mov only. This is becoming a problem, so I switched back to the previous iMovie version (yellow) The naming protocols are confusing, so I'm not using them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great bang for the buck, but be aware of the limitations. As for upgrading to the latest versions, so far that's not been optimal. I've reverted back to the yellow version because the latest (purple) takes me longer, is less intuitive and is missing features, most notably, the ability to export in different formats. It's been simplified to meet a broader audience, so if you're new to iMovie, you won't notice the difference. But if you've been using it since the early days, you'll know that it's becoming less versatile all the time. Once this version is no longer supported on my iOS/OSX systems, I may have to spend more $$ on Final Cut or finally learn how to use Adobe Premier Pro - both of which has much steeper learning curves, which do not have the time for right now.

I can edit videos quickly on mobile and desktop and upload them immediately. That has reduced production time, backlog and delays, thereby boosting my efficiency enormously. I do a lot of social media work, and being able to use iMovie on any of my devices has significantly enhanced my productivity without having to give up the effects, audio or other features.

iMovie review by Harry S.
Harry S.

"Great for Beginners"

What do you like best?

Easy to learn for users just starting out, Has a nice interface and plays well with other Apple preinstalled software many publishing options available great templates for quick projects and many many title templates and photo display options among the best Chromakeying I've seen in ANY PRODUCT

What do you dislike?

With the ease of use comes a lack of more professional features also no cross platform use for windows Professional level users will be left asking for more Sometimes you have to export a file in the middle of a project to get what you want like you can't combine a chromakey and a cutaway without doing the key first then importing the exported file back into imovie and continuing with your project

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for Beginners or people who are new to editing and can put out awesome content easily but anyone who has used any other editing product with be left wanting more

Easy to teach someone out of the gate someone can be creating a project within hours of first using the software We start students on iMovie then move them on to more professional editing applications but it is a great starting step to gain the basics and fundamentals

iMovie review by Shirin E.
Shirin E.

"Quite amazing for software that's included with MacOS - Maybe not Hollywood quality but really close"

What do you like best?

iMovie is the most intuitive software for something that can easily be made complex. Without a ton of training you can come in, get started and have a really decent video without a ton of aggravation. Additionally, it's rock solid stable and has never crashed on me which is something I experienced with other movie editing software.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes doing titles in iMovie is a little glitchy and doesn't flow well. It's not a major deal but something they can probably refine. I'd also love to see some native captioning ability but titles can cover that feature as a workaround.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before upgrading to Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premier, try to push iMovie to its limits. You'll find support for multiple tracks and it handles b-roll footage nicely. You maybe surprised how long you can stave off purchasing something more expensive. Also, if you have a magic bar on your MacBook Pro, the functionality there is pretty sweet.

We use iMovie for marketing videos and presentations. We record our videos using an iPhone and can quickly get it into iMovie for editing. We aren't doing the level of movies that requires something like Final cut pro or Premier.

iMovie review by Vanda A.
Vanda A.

"iRecommend"

What do you like best?

As a user following the updates of every single software, inside and outside the Apple system (example: Adobe Master Collection), I have come to terms on how useful iMovie tends to be as a beginner's tool for adjusting on the video editing scene. Though there are other alternatives, such as Premiere and Final Cut Pro, those tend to be perceived as more complex in comparison to iMovie; therefore, I think this software's strongest point is its simplicity in interface, and how user-friendly it has become over the years.

What do you dislike?

It could incorporate a lot more features in terms of editing; this aside, it is a perfect, ideal tool for users wanting to start up on the video editing route.

When dealing with strict deadlines at first, iMovie would be the first tool recommended to me; it was the first one I started using when starting up my learning process in the video editing area, and though currently feeling more than comfortable with deadlines versus software, in which I can use both Premiere and Final Cut Pro well enough to match that time strictness, I still go to iMovie when all seems impossible to deal with.

iMovie review by User in Graphic Design
User in Graphic Design

"Perfect for a beginner, but other programs probably best for advanced video editing."

What do you like best?

iMovie is incredibly simple to use, despite some hidden functions that are buried in menus. That being said, it doesn't have as many features as other video editing software does. The best thing about iMovie though are the slideshow and movie themes. Therefore, this is my go-to for quick video editing.

What do you dislike?

Apple applications do have a very intuitive design, but every once in a while, things can be hard to find. I've spent considerable time Googling various things that should have been simple do, but after an update, things changed a bit too much with some features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have an Apple computer, this software is free and does a lot. Definitely try as your first option if you have simple video editing to do and are a beginner.

Quick video editing with themes saves tons of time!

iMovie review by Erin D.
Erin D.

"iMovie - Easy video editing"

What do you like best?

The platform is easy to use and suitable for students from grades 4 and up. The trailer feature is easy and a great way to introduce students to basic film techniques.

What do you dislike?

I wish that the app would update more themes and provide the ability to change the font colour of titles. It has been around for so long that people recognize the formatting and fonts and it doesn't seem very original or eye catching.

Fantastic for creating short video clips featuring highlights of the school year, a tour of new facilities or an introduction of new staff.

iMovie review by Jimmy L.
Jimmy L.

"Easy way to make movies"

What do you like best?

I like that it's easy to insert content and create movies that can be exported to basically any platform. I't's intuitive and simple.

What do you dislike?

I wish it would go a little deeper into transitioning between clips, and splicing audio. But, for stock software, I can't complain too much.

I've realized that at this point I don't really need to invest in professional software. Yes, maybe I will later on, but for now, I can make shot videos that looks great and professional with software that comes standard with my computer.

iMovie review by Gabe S.
Gabe S.

"iMovie is a User Friendly & Easy Way to Edit Video"

What do you like best?

The best part about iMovie is how easy it is to figure out. It is VERY user friendly. We have several employees at our company that use the software for products, and everyone has been able to pick it up fairly quickly and without trouble.

What do you dislike?

It is limited in video and audio editing capabilities compared to other, more advanced, editing softwares. When trying to create a more polished video look, it is more difficult. Videos tend to look like templates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is a great option if you are looking to quickly edit simple videos. If you are wanting to edit and create more advanced videos, you should look into a more advanced software. However, higher end video editing softwares require a lot more training and experience. iMovie is very easy to learn and get started with.

We are quickly editing simple videos for out clients. Videos are a great way to market your company and yourself.

iMovie review by Aaron T.
Aaron T.

"Easiest video editing software in existence!"

What do you like best?

This software comes included all Mac computers for free, but it is a software that many people would actually pay for separately. While it may not have the big price tag, it can compete in most areas with higher end web design software. It may not have all of the features some some of its counterparts, but it certainly can be a lot easier to use.

What do you dislike?

I often ran into issues organizing files in the timeline. It can be a bit difficult to line things up as I would like, but it just takes time and effort to get things perfect. This software has a lot less specific controls compared to it's more expensive counterparts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is definitely worth considering, as it is a free software included on all Mac computers. with the robust amount of features and templates already included, it is well worth giving it a shot to see if it meets your needs.

iMovie is great for quick movie productions that don't need all the bells and whistles. It is a lot quicker to go through the workflow than with other softwares. Being able to export the final product to a file or upload directly to share not only makes the process easier, but also more fun and convenient which in turn makes you want to produce more movies.

iMovie review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Easy to use for Mac Users: think YouTube!"

What do you like best?

It is fairly intuitive to use in creating attractive movies for friends or Youtube.

What do you dislike?

It is limited on the file formats that it accepts which can be an issue for some camera. It does accept .mp4 AVCHD, and .mov (apple format) among others. I have heard is is lossy and exports lower quality resolution, but I use it for the ease of use and it seems to get the job done for me, and especially for the way most of my vids are viewed on Youtube.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. You will learn it very quickly, and be exporting movies on your very first use!

Google loves Youtube and I get comments and questions for uploaded movies that are years old. This means that (for free), I'm connecting with my customers or potential customers, and keeping the conversations going for years.

iMovie review by Chris M.
Chris M.

"Great simple movie editor with powerful tools for the casual user"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it integrates with my photos and videos as well as the professional transition and titling tools it has

What do you dislike?

I like the themes but with it included more themes. This is something that Apple hasn’t added in a looooong time. Also would be great to include more music options for background

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great simple tool but you will need other options if you need to utalize multiple layers of video or audio

I used it a lot for creating event promos and a memory video after an event with the organization I worked for

iMovie review by Marketa S.
Marketa S.

"Pretty cool program for mac users"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use. The learning curve with this program goes very fast, so even though I don't use it very often I am still able to use its potential. I also appreciate the music library.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to drag and drop text anywhere I want. At this moment I either haven't figured that part out or it's not there. Like I said I am an occasional user, but there is not much that I don't like.

I am able to edit videos easily without having to learn difficult programs.

iMovie review by User in Health, Wellness and Fitness
User in Health, Wellness and Fitness

"Easy to Edit/Produce Videos"

What do you like best?

This program makes a beginner look like a pro when it comes to producing and editing videos. I started using this program to produce small videos for my organization. Once a video is cropped, I just drop it into the software and do some minor edits and then I'm ready to share my video! I also love that this program is free with my new Mac! This makes the program even more desirable!

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure if it is just me but sometimes it takes a longer time to convert to the needed format to share. I also wish it had better tutorials to learn from as I would like to encompass the whole software and utilize it for more projects at work!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Super easy and fun! I feel like a pro!

iMovie makes integrating webcast videos into easy "promo videos" that we can post on our website and app.

iMovie review by Andrés S.
Andrés S.

"Video editing for Community Managers with zero time"

What do you like best?

It is very useful and easy-to-use, once you understand how it works. Importing, clipping and adding sound are friendly features, and if you are used to working with Macs or iOS, you will master it in no time.

What do you dislike?

Its limitations. You cannot add more than 2 layers of objects (pictures or other movies) in one single frame, and the trailer option is very much like a black box.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Think of it as learning how to use layers to edit a picture on Paint, but keep your eyes on moving forward to Photoshop.

In Social Media, you have to be able to produce and edit videos with ease, and without spending too much time in it. With iMovie, you are capable of doing that and more, even uploading directly to your YouTube channel.

iMovie review by Enrico C.
Enrico C.

"Simple, intuitive"

What do you like best?

It is a very simple program, in the Apple style. Allows you to trim clips, slow down and speed up, and there are a dozen filters that allow you to customize the video. Moreover, there are ready-made presets that allow, inserting clips and text in the appropriate spaces, to create a subspecies of the trailer with mid-level digital effects, excellent for telling a trip with cats or family, or small presentations unpretentious. The connection was with iTunes and other Apple applications makes it even handier.

What do you dislike?

The quality is in no way comparable from professional editing software. Moreover, the various divisional folders of the projects and the page dedicated to finished projects let it down. It is completely absent from the color correction (except for those few filters), and the transition effects are simple and quite obsolete. Often in export issues with large files, which force you to repeat repeatedly export. It managed to use it to create photo video, which eventually were shown the preview of the visa program that exports did not go successfully 4 times: angers a lot.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the level of quality of your product is not professional, or if your product will remain within the company (or other video presentation) this product is for you. It is also great software to bring children to the world of video editing.

For small projects or for persons with little experience reveals a good software, very simple and fast. Great comfort integration in apple body.

iMovie review by Dave B.
Dave B.

"Easy to use video editing software"

What do you like best?

iMovie is very easy to use. I have used both iMovie and Adobe Premier, both without any prior knowledge of video editing or background on the software. iMovie was by far easier to figure out and use.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes finding some features can take some searching for. It also takes a little while to export the finished video from the library to your files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

iMovie is an easy to use program and delivers great results. It offers a good amount of features and effects and is very user friendly.

I have used this software to create some promotional videos for our company and to create short commercials. It's easy to stitch multiple videos together, add audio, separate the audio from the video recording, and add effects. iMovie delivers great results that I had no problem using to represent our company and brand.

iMovie review by Jessica M.
Jessica M.

"Easy to use - great starter program"

What do you like best?

It's a nice starter program. It's good for beginners. Apple really simplified the editing process to make it easier for new users. It's also nice that it comes with the mac computer. You probably won't produce a major motion picture with it, but it will get the job done. It's perfect for a simple montage and quick and easy edits!

What do you dislike?

You can only do so much with the program. Eventually when your skills improve, you realize you need more control over certain items.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are new and just getting started, this program is a great place to start! It will get your feet wet without spending a lot of money on a video program. If you have a mac, give it a try!

Achieves basic editing on a budget

"IMovie"

What do you like best?

The ease of making videos and so many options for technical advancements. The fact that I can easily upload media and edit it is pretty beginner friendly and whoever uses it can grow as they learn more. I compares better than other editing software and coming free with your mac is a great way to promote their software usage while selling products and making revenues.

What do you dislike?

Th slowness of macs and how it affects the application. The lack of support from apple. There isn't much creative effects you can add through the application you have to use external sources and import in order to create captivating content. There ae not many add in options for creative designs, no templates, it's not extremely beginner friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Update features, add more design elements. I would create a more beginner friendly tutorial especially when it comes to exporting content. Also to create more templates and scratch designs for people to add into could attract more users.

Creating content at eat that came free with my mac. You can create beautiful content at the ease of one device. The benefits include free application use with the purchase of a mac which is very expensive. You can create great short clips as well as long ones and also edit from your iphone which is really convenient.

iMovie review by Mariana I.
Mariana I.

"Easy-to-use video software with all the basics features"

What do you like best?

iMovie is a software that anyone can use.. students for a project or fancy presentation, pros who want something quickly and simple or a person that does not know how to make videos but need to.

As all the Apple software, iMove is user friendly. You insert a thing by dragging it, you delete when you press delete.. pretty simple and fast.

You can also add credits and text really easy.

What do you dislike?

If you want to make some cool and elaborated audio mix, you should be forgetting about iMovie.

You can't also put two videos in the same frame, like you can in Final Cut Pro. Same thing with photos.

Exportation is really, really slow. Even though you have a lot of options, all of them take a long time.

More effects could be added.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You cannot expect iMovie to be a pro video editing software because it is not. I would recommend it for students or small businesses that do not need a lot of effort in their videos. You can make a good video but not a professional one because its lack of features.

Sometimes we make videos about the events we make: conferences, courses, certifications, symposiums.. and since it is really easy and fast to ouse, it helps us.

Quality of exportation is good or you can upload it directly to YouTube.

Exportation is really slow even if the video is not that long.

Learning about iMovie?

* We monitor all iMovie reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.