iMovie

iMovie for Mac lets you enjoy your videos like never before. Browse your clips easily, instantly share your favorite moments, and create Hollywood‑style trailers and beautiful movies at stunning 4K resolution.

Work for iMovie?

Learning about iMovie?

iMovie Reviews

Showing 186 iMovie reviews
iMovie review by <span>Nicoleta S.</span>
Nicoleta S.

"Straight Forward, Easy, Starter Editing Software"

What do you like best?

iMovie is super simple to learn and most people can master all of the features in a short amount of time. It dabbles in a little bit of every aspect of editing and has great effects and features for such a basic software. One of my favorite things about iMovie is how easy it is to edit audio layers precisely, with little to no previous experience in audio clips.

What do you dislike?

iMovie is pretty easy to outgrow fairly quickly. After using and mastering all of the features in a short amount of time, it can leave you wanting more from it. One of my biggest dislikes is the lack of text fonts and styles that can be layered over the videos.

We use iMovie multiple times a week to create short intros and ads to point people from other social media platforms to our Youtube channel. If you need to create a quick, simple project, it is the perfect go to.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about iMovie
iMovie review by <span>Ryan S.</span>
Ryan S.

"Great introductory video editing software despite shortfalls"

What do you like best?

The fact that iMovie is free to download with a Mac computer makes Apple a desirable option for designers and those looking to have access to a basic video editing software. Even as I have become more experienced in video editing, I continue to use iMovie because of its easy-to-use interface, simplicity, and its free price.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that there was slightly more functionality in certain areas of iMovie or plug-ins that could be downloaded to provide additional functionality. In particular, I wish that I could overlay images like speech bubbles and cartoons similar to the way text can be, but I have been unable to do this or find a plug-in that would allow this. More flexibility with text on the video would give iMovie all of the functionality I would need, and I think most novice filmmakers, to create basic movies.

iMovie has allowed my research lab to produce videos at no cost to us. We have been able to test different styles of videos during a research project easily and effectively, which has been incredibly useful for our research moving forward.

What Video Editing solution do you use?

iMovie review by <span>Greggory D.</span>
Greggory D.

"Great for the Simple Edit"

What do you like best?

We use iMovie to edit short animated walkthroughs of exhibit spaces to use in client presentations. Most of our edits are simple with slight color tweaks, speed, cropping, panning, and simple transitions, but iMove handles this wonderfully.

What do you dislike?

While handling the simple edits well, if I wanted to take the big leap into a more professionally edited video, I would likely have to look elsewhere for a larger palette of editing tools. The Ken Burns effect is nice and all, but can be laggy when using a high DPI image.

We are using iMovie to cut animations of rendered spaces for clients to see. Too often, when we take a client through a digital model with live clicking, we encounter lags, or other unforeseen miscues. This can be distracting and tedious. iMovie allows us to showcase a polished, sexy product that the client can feel excited about.

iMovie review by <span>Micah P.</span>
Micah P.

"Simple!"

What do you like best?

There is a very easy user interface to this program. It has professional quality options, yet grandma could use it to make a slideshow of her favorite pictures from christmas last year. The fact that it can be used on mobile devices, and shared projects between there and the Mac computers is a very nice feature for people working on more difficult or lengthy projects!

What do you dislike?

The simplicity of use means it doesnt offer as many features as the big name programs for video editing. Essentially this is just apple's version of Movie Maker. It is simple, effective, but not really the one I would use for doing major video editing, or trying to even make a very clean bumper promo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are wanting a clean looking video to use for a presentation, IMovie is a good option! It will help you get the job done quickly and effectively. Keep in mind that this is not a product to compare to Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro... This is meant for more simple work on a quick basis. Easy user interface will help this one stick around for a long time!

The caption editing has really helped us to get the word out from our organization!

iMovie review by <span>Nathan L.</span>
Nathan L.

"Simple process for my simple needs"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to cut my videos into the length I need.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, perhaps due to a glitch, it won't allow me to click and draw in order to cut the clip.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to learn the ropes and really get into the details. I don't think I use iMovie as much or as well as I could. I'm not a film guy, so I get by, but I'm sure I could do a lot more and a lot higher quality stuff if I learned more about the capabilities of iMovie.

The main use we have for iMovie is cutting videos of our church's worship service down to just the sermon. We then post the sermon video, with intro and outro, and also grab the audio for our sermon podcast.

iMovie review by <span>Bethany M.</span>
Bethany M.

"iMovie is User Friendly"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to sit down at the computer, open iMovie, and create a completed project in a couple hours' time. The learning curve is very small, as the program is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the click-and-drag function is less than ideal. iMovie does not always allow you to drag your media into the creation space from, for example, a computer desktop. Additionally, as with other apple products, apple does not always provide solutions for common, known issues online. It is often more helpful to search forum posts in order to solve a recurring problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a Macintosh computer, this application should be your first attempt in movie or slideshow creation.

iMovie is a great, free (for macs) option that allows anyone to create a movie production. You can add music from an audio file and pictures from an event to quickly create a slideshow. If you want to add more detail, you may--simply click on a given picture in the slideshow and edit the number of seconds it will be shown, how it enters and exits the screen, and so on.

Learning about iMovie?

* We monitor all iMovie reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.