Ingres

Ingres Database 10 provides easy migration from MySQL and proprietary databases such as Oracle, SQL Server and Sybase.

Work for Ingres?

Learning about Ingres?

Ingres Reviews

Showing 11 Ingres reviews
Ingres review by Armando E.
Armando E.

"Actian Vector review"

What do you like best?

Impressive speed when resolving queries. The performance is astonishing and the ability to set the number of cores assigned to each request is awesome so that you can define the standard number of cores for standard requesst as well as overrride and set a higher number of cores for a complex query. In memory tables is an awesome feature.

What do you dislike?

The stability is not good at all, in my experience we were suffering from instability every day and I had to bounce the database every single day in order to avoid downtime and freezes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It might be interesting how the latest version which supports hadoop file system can do, with an array of boxes and MPP to the maximum level.

Populating a data lake with real time data integration as well as modeling of analytical models for consumers to feed tableau reports.

We were able to reduce ETL runtimes from 10:1, it opened the door for the new wave of data wharehouse with in-memory tables.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Ingres
Ingres review by Mike W.
Mike W.

"Solid Company with a *HUGE* amount of expertise"

What do you like best?

The backwards compatibility for all versions of Ingres. I happen to be fortunate/unfortunate enough to support Ingres versions from 6.4 up to 10. The newer versions certainly have many improvements, but it's nice to know that a lot of the commands that were pounded into my head still work. The stability of the product is also a huge plus!

What do you dislike?

There are still locking issues in Ingres. Perhaps it's due to poor front end code design causing the locking. All I know is I perform explicit commits during my daily management of the database. (I understand that's not a bad practice, but implicit commits are nice!)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work with the support team. They love to help and almost all of them are extremely knowledgable. They will help you as much as they can. That being said, there are not a lot of books on Ingres. You have to scour the web and look for resources to assist you.

Ingres and OpenRoad (their 4 GL application platform) allowed my company to customize an application for our business model. It would have been much more difficult to replicate this with much larger and more expensive software platforms.

What Cloud Migration solution do you use?

Ingres review by Christopher S.
Christopher S.

"I worked as an Ingres DBA for 3 years"

What do you like best?

Ingres is a database product that is not feature rich in my opinion, but what it does, it does well. It seems to scale well. The product has good support.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the table locking mechanisms and the sql interface was not very good. We always needed some downtime to maintain it to the current release. High Availability is not really there with Ingres the way it can be with other Enterprise offerings. Ingres's market share has shrunk the user community from what it once was, so the amount of internet troubleshooting you can do is also not as easy as more widely used databases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think there are many database offerings that may be better for most uses. Ingres is still solid, but does not really shine brightly in any area

Ingres served as the back end for an enterprise telecommunications software and it held up to a pretty intense volume of transactions. I saw it as a very solid database server. I prefer to use open source software and this one is well supported

Ingres review by Quintessence A.
Quintessence A.

"Ingres DBA 2013/2014"

What do you like best?

The product is extremely stable and the few times we did have to reach out to the support team they were courteous and prompt. Wonderful experience overall!

What do you dislike?

The release we were using didn't have the most streamlined security/identity management, so that led to us making some creative arounds. As a current postgreSQL user, I also which that Ingres (postgres' predecessor, technologically speaking) had a schema feature available. Another feature that I really enjoy with postgres is the ability to use procedural languages, e.g. (for postgres) PL/Perl. Even though the latter is still a new feature for me, I've found that scripting this way actually improves performance significantly. A new feature that is being released in postgres made me recall some of the security footwork we had to do when I was using Ingres - especially for our application.

The company I was working for when I used Ingres was storing data for clinical data trials - so the data was highly sensitive and we had very strict security.

Ingres review by Marc C.
Marc C.

"Great DBMS with very little requirment for maintenance - Life expectancy is however limited"

What do you like best?

Easy to understand and use tools (db management, 4GL, ABF...)

Works well with text terminal environment

Very stable on HPUX

Great community

Embedded C available out of the box

Lack of long term plans (change of owner a couple of years ago)

SQL not as powerfull as other DBMS (ORacle, MS SQL...)

Not supported by major ERP

What do you dislike?

Lack of long term plans (change of owner a couple of years ago)

SQL not as powerfull as other DBMS (ORacle, MS SQL...)

Not supported by major ERP

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the Open Source version and support

Not recommended to build business critical applications

Stable DBMS and framework (client/server) supporting manufacturing processes

Connection with SAP Business Object

Live connection with SAP ECC 6

Ingres review by Mike H.
Mike H.

"Ingres retro review from the 90's"

What do you like best?

When I used it, Ingres was ahead of it's time for relational databases on a UNIX platform. Oracle was delivering vaporware, and Ingres delivered the goods with a tecnically superior product. It had a nice transaction manager and a gateway to the mainframe that no other products were offering. Their 4GL was an awesome development tool as well.

What do you dislike?

The release I was using at the time had poor performance when timestamps were used in indexes. It also had sever lock escalation when doing mass deletes, however I think the SQL that was used was not very good either, trying to do mass deletes with a WHERE clause on several rows instead of using a cursor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not having used it recently, I would only ensure that the future support and enhancements align with your business needs.

The business problems were small - we were just moving an outdated mainframe system to UNIX. The subsequent systems that went in fulfilled the new business needs at a lower cost

Ingres review by Consultant in Political Organization
Consultant in Political Organization

"Works well"

What do you like best?

This is a product that works with PostgresSQL and helps with the coding in the tech department.

What do you dislike?

It isn't as intuitive as it could be and doesn't have an easy transition period.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not too many recommendations, other than to try the demo.

We are tracking coding changes and working to improve our bug tracking and software development.

Ingres review by David P.
David P.

"Lightweight and gets the job done"

What do you like best?

Ingres is a very simple and easy to use database. It's lightweight and in turn performs well enough to support high volumes of data.

What do you dislike?

I'd like the ability for it to save more queries, and have more tools (comparing to MSSQLServer which has many).

Functions were easy to set up in Ingres, and help with the every day sql query.

Ingres review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Great product"

What do you like best?

Easy of use and simple to configure, can be recommended to anyone

What do you dislike?

Newer versions sometimes have capability issues

data storage

Ingres review by Executive Sponsor in Internet
Executive Sponsor in Internet

"Review"

What do you like best?

interface is very clean and clear. easy to follow

What do you dislike?

too many questions upfront for verification

surveying and review

Ingres review by Administrator

"Good Exp"

What do you like best?

Architect for the startup firm

What do you dislike?

Nothing

database review

Learning about Ingres?

* We monitor all Ingres reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.