With the introduction of Innotas, we moved away from a custom, legacy PPM solution to an industry leader. We have moved away from manual reporting to poor visibility of our portfolio to a solution which captures all this information. With Innotas, we now have a better view on the following:
- Portfolio Management
- Resource Management
- Request Management
- Dashboard and Reporting
Make sure you understand your requirements for a PPM solution. Innotas is a very good product but there are differences if you are moving from MS Project to Innotas. Make sure you understand what those differences are. Lastly, make sure you get support from our leadership team. Our implementation was successful because our CIO is a firm believer of needing a world class PPM solution.
Our legacy PPM solution was customized and required extensive administrative overhead to maintain. Ongoing maintenance and support of the system became difficult over time and was not able to scale as me matured in our processes. Additional challenges included
• Project Managers use different tools to manage projects, including MS Project, Excel, and other solutions
• There was no way of having a consolidated view of resource allocation across all projects, viewing resource capacity or forecasting resources availability. This is done manually using spreadsheets.
• The legacy system lacked functionality of a true PPM solution
The benefits realized have been:
- Better visibility of our project portfolio
- Better status reporting which has resulted in reduced work for our PMs
- The ability to capture all requests in one solution vs. in different repositories
- Elimination of manual processes such as capacity planning, forecasting and reporting