IntelliJ IDEA

IntelliJ IDEA

IntelliJ IDEA includes an amazing set of tools which work out-of-the-box: support for Maven, Gradle and STS; integration with Git, SVN, Mercurial; built-in Database Tools; and many more.

Work for IntelliJ IDEA?

Learning about IntelliJ IDEA?

IntelliJ IDEA Reviews

Ask IntelliJ IDEA a Question
Showing 590 IntelliJ IDEA reviews
IntelliJ IDEA review by <span>Peter A.</span>
Peter A.

Intellij IDEA is the best Java development environment around

What do you like best?

Intellij IDEA is very easy to use, and has great developer aids. The autocomplete for methods/variables is very useful. If you have the full version rather than the community edition then there are great things to help with server side development too.

It works well with GIT (and other source control systems), which makes team work simpler.

The code completion bits are very handy, for example just typing iter will give you the relevant "for loop" and even suggest what you want to iterate around.

The integration with Maven and Gradle is also good, and I use maven for my server based projects, and have used Gradle for Android projects, though I now use Android Studio, which is based on Intellij.

There are lots of features that I haven't had a chance to use, but the ones that I do use are excellent.

What do you dislike?

The change of the pricing mechanism from one where you purchased it outright, and then could upgrade to a license system where you pay an annual amount is not good, and has stopped me upgrading. I also personally find the introduction of various Java extras, e.g. Scala, Groovy, Kotlin has taken the aim away from the core Java development, though I realise that it may be useful for others.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a go with the community edition, and then if you need to switch to the full version

Java client and server side development

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about IntelliJ IDEA
IntelliJ IDEA review by <span>Nicholas Y.</span>
Nicholas Y.

The Gold Standard for IDE's, and My Team's Java IDE of Choice!

What do you like best?

JetBrains continues to create the best, most easy-to-use while being the most robust and feature-laden IDE's on the market, and IntelliJ is no exception. IntelliJ and some of the other JetBrains applications share similar features and hotkeys, so it's easy to be able to switch between the different applications and not have to memorize shortcuts and functionality over and over again.

What do you dislike?

IntelliJ can take a while to load up depending on the size of the project that you are trying to open, but that could be more of a hardware issue rather than an issue of IntelliJ, so your mileage may vary!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check out any of the other products from JetBrains! RubyMine and PyCharm are top notch! Also consider that if you do decide to switch to IntelliJ, if you are starting out and are trying to select a product, in general it's good to try to get everyone to use the same tools, since while IDE's are purely a matter of personal choice, the more people that use a particular tool, the more resources you have should anyone have a question arise regarding it.

With (most) of the team using IntelliJ, we are able to help each other with tips and functionality questions for both old and new members of the team thanks to the fact that we all use the same application, and each have a varying level of knowledge on the tool itself.

What Integrated Development Environment (IDE) solution do you use?

IntelliJ IDEA review by <span>Jon V.</span>
Jon V.

A great IDE, if sometimes a little hard to configure

What do you like best?

I love all the options you have with this IDE. You can do just about anything, and most simple tasks are incredibly intuitive. Debugging is wonderful and the console and windows are second-to-none.

What do you dislike?

Some settings and tasks are a little difficult to figure out the first go-round, such as deploying an app via local server. Depending on which server you're using, the configuration can take some time (I've still yet to figure out JBoss deployment). For beginners, this IDE might be a little much.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. Even if you can't do some of the more complicated tasks IDEA offers, you'll surely realize some of the more basic benefits of using the IDE.

This IDE has helped me locate a lot of very complex bugs that I don't know I could have discovered in another IDE. Debugging is great and has helped me complete several projects.

IntelliJ IDEA review by <span>Austin M.</span>
Austin M.

Best debugger + clean interface

What do you like best?

The debugger displays any variable alterations in the lines that are making them. So if you set a variable to a value, or are doing some complex math, it will kind of watermark that line of code with the variables being used. Super helpful when debugging school projects, and I am sure it is even more helpful for advanced users!

What do you dislike?

The price, though it may be worth it if you are coding a lot (or if you're a student like I am and get it for free). Likely if you are using this your company would likely be writing off the costs, but idk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Eclipse is also a good IDE, but IntelliJ is just cleaner overall

Well, debugging takes a lot of time, and having an active debugger helps greatly with this process. It allows you to easily track what changes are made by what lines of code, which is obviously awesome.

IntelliJ IDEA review by <span>Surajit C.</span>
Surajit C.

The most ideal IDE for Java .

What do you like best?

It has the Best User Interface in its segment .

Its auto code completion feature is a bliss .

Awesome Skins are available .

Its loading time is better than Netbeans or Eclipse .

It has almost every feature which any other IDE's .

Code browsing is effective .

Plugins are available in a good amount .

Workspace feature is good .

What do you dislike?

There are few things that I don't like about IDEA -

Memory consumption is too high .

Not suitable for too low end devices . Please take care of this .

Its paid version is too expensive. The sole reason I am not buying the paid version and sticking to the community version , so that it doesn't burn a hole in my pocket.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One should definitely go for it as it is one of the best modern IDE's available. Though , it is a little bit expensive but it is worth every penny. If you don't want to purchase the full version , go for the community version .

I am a freelance JAVA developer who develops backend code for various clients and IntelliJ IDEA has tremendously helped me to write faster code and develop applications in a comparatively lesser time .

Also, I practice code for myself in the same IDE .

IntelliJ IDEA review by <span>Michael S.</span>
Michael S.

One of if not the best IDEA for java

What do you like best?

I'm a java programmer specialised mostly on android programming although when I'm not working on that scope I definitely prefer using IntelliJ IDEA over other IDEs such as Eclipse or Netbeans. It's mostly personal preference but I really like the layout and the way it looks, can easily get the required imports and code suggestions by pressing ALT+ENTER and pressing SHIFT two times allows for searching about anything on the project: search for code content from all the project files, plugins, etc... The concept between IDEs are all the same and I used to use Eclipse before but since I've come across IntelliJ IDEA it definitely increased my productivity.

What do you dislike?

The only thing to dislike about would be the price. In my case my company supplies the license so I'm free to use IntelliJ without any extra costs on my end, although if that wasn't the case I'd go for a free IDE. It's quite a limiting factor but if you're a student then you'll be fine as the license is free for them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's one of the best IDEs for Java, just could be a bit costly if you're an individual user not working for a company or a student. Regardless, if you can afford it then it's definitely the best IDE available currently for Java.

I'm providing solutions to improve the company's efficiency in delivering the products that the customers require, by developing tools which aid my co-workers with their tasks. Benefit would definitely be it make the the development of these tools more pleasurable and much more enjoying for me, as it provides a lot of java related tools required to smoothen out the experience.

Learn more about IntelliJ IDEA

IntelliJ IDEA Videos

Learning about IntelliJ IDEA?

* We monitor all IntelliJ IDEA reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.