Intermapper

Intermapper

Intermapper is a user-friendly tool that helps IT professionals map and monitor their networks in real time. Find and fix performance issues before users are impacted with auto-discovery, Layer 2 mapping, custom alerts, and more.

Work for Intermapper?

Learning about Intermapper?

Intermapper Reviews

Ask Intermapper a Question
Intermapper review by <span>Raymond K.</span>
Raymond K.

Review of Intermapper Monitoring software

What do you like best?

Intermapper is a great easy to use monitoring tool that allows us the user to effectively monitor any size network. Great notification feature with various options for delaying or modifying how outages and critical devices get reported.

Inetermapper also has very good charting options that allow you to chart single and multiple interfaces on a chart. Again ample options for customization.

What do you dislike?

A challenge when using Intermapper is it a bit cumbersome creating customized charts. For some reason when moving/combining multiple interfaces onto one chart it refuses to move. Sometimes finding the proper probe for some devices is also challenging.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For monitoring network devices and wireless bridges this product works.

We find it beneficial that multiple users can access, modify, manage and receive customized notifications based admin level

Showing 52 Intermapper reviews
Intermapper review by <span>Ned F.</span>
Ned F.

Venerable product is still the best in class

What do you like best?

The ease of constructing maps was and is Intermapper's best feature. I've been using Intermapper since the original Dartware release, and this has always been the reason I've stuck with it.

The new release I just upgraded retains a high degree of compatibility with older versions, but adds important new capabilities like probe groups the original didn't have.

What do you dislike?

First, I'm content with the functionality Intermapper provides in regards to defining networks, arranging maps, and so on. I haven't gotten deep enough into defining custom probes or creating elaborate charts to comment on that yet.

That said, it would be cool if the map arrangement facilities were extended to provide some automatic alignment facilities in the style of Omnigraffle or Visio.

There are a couple of glitches I'd like to see addressed. One is that sometimes the Insert menu is grayed out when it should not be. (Yes, I know about the read/write toggle and no, that's not it.)

Another, more serious issue is that sometimes editing probe settings either crashes my VNC sessions or the whole Mac OS X server (in the kernel_task). Now, I realize that this is not Intermapper's fault - there's no way an application should be able to crash the windowing system - but realistically, Apple is unlikely to fix this so it would sure be helpful if Intermapper could avoid doing whatever causes this.

I use it for basic network management, capacity planning, and server availability checks.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Intermapper
Intermapper review by <span>Bill G.</span>
Bill G.

Intermapper provides great insight

What do you like best?

Intermapper is very easy to set up with a clean user interface, It allows you to set up probe groups so you can monitor the same device for multiple things: WMI disk size, SNMP response, http traffic, etc.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes setting up the same settings for multiple devices can be tedious. Once you're finished, it's easy to maintain, but that initial setup is a lot of work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think bulk operations would make Intermapper a lot better. For example, if I want to set up the same type of probe with the same credentials on ten different devices, that can be a lot of work. Having the ability to roll that out with a bulk operation would make life a lot easier. The way we back up the database is also a little clunky. I think a backup utility that would allow us to back up everything we need into one zip file would be great.

We were tired of finding out that a site was down or that we were running low on disk space after an issue was reported from an end-user. Now we can be proactive with issues and we know about them before they turn into something significant. It has decreased our downtime because we catch the potential issue before it becomes one.

What Network Monitoring solution do you use?

Intermapper review by <span>Jim C.</span>
Jim C.

Long time user

What do you like best?

Very quick and easy to setup a map of your network. The first time you let InterMapper automatically discover your network, it is quite breathtaking. There is no other software package that can do this a well as InterMapper. The historical data on your network is stored very efficiently, you can quickly reference uptime on devices as well as bandwidth usage and other specifics on your server/router/switch use.

What do you dislike?

If you don't want to use the map view, the list view is kind of clunky. But why use the list view?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get demo first, do a scan of your network, then remove all but the relevant monitoring points to determine your license requirements. You really don't need to monitor every little thing to get a useful and accurate map. For example I will map a router, then a device or 2 on the other side of the router to show it's working.

Provide a visual reference of my network topology, checking network assets for uptime and other issues. I have this map on a monitor on the wall of my office and anyone can walk by and see how systems are doing. I also let anybody access the map web page Intermapper automatically sets up so they can see network status. The ability of the users to know

Intermapper review by <span>Seth B.</span>
Seth B.

Intermapper for Network Monitoring

What do you like best?

We use InterMapper to monitor our internal network. I love that it sends me alerts when there is a switch or network down. The Network "Flows" licence is awesome as well to see traffic flow when trying to troubleshoot a network issue. I also like that you can have a bunch f different maps I have 5-8 different maps that I monitor.

What do you dislike?

I know this seems silly but the graphics kind of look like they are from the 80's which does not make it super visually appealing. also, it is kind of cumbersome to deal with licencing as sometimes you have to deal with customer support to get some licences switched to different users

I needed a way to monitor my network will little effort and lots of info and this product delivers! I also really enjoy the alert and audio notifications that it gives you!

Intermapper review by <span>Geoff B.</span>
Geoff B.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Intermapper is the main tool I use for looking at the network and managing my routers and switches.

What do you like best?

I like the ability to set up a double click action on devices. That way I can log right in to routers and switches with Putty or open a webpage for a UPS or RDP to a server. I also like the charts. I use them to look at bandwidth utilization on WAN links over time.

What do you dislike?

I'm not crazy about flows as they just show you top N. I also can't always find a probe to monitor SNMP on certain devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tool for managing your network. Just get it. It's reasonably priced too!

I get a quick and dirty view of problem devices on the network. I can spot these devices and fix them many times before the users even notice. I can also use the charts to prove that I might need more bandwidth at certain locations.

Intermapper review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Made for networking not help desk

What do you like best?

I like the status windows and how it can be configured for almost anything. Monitoring PC's and printers on it. There are lots of windows packages with lots of useful data. Also like how the maps can make it clear where things are for new help desk staff. like how I can integrate it with other software. The online help is very responsive, however not always the most useful. Some are great and will work with you until the issue is fully solved. Where as others will just send a generic reply and leave you never to be heard from again.

What do you dislike?

Dislike how much we need to configure ourselves. Feel like there should be a little more control built in so that the monitoring us more useful .I.e wake over LAN. If it can't read while asleep whats the point. I do wish the standard status window was a little more appealing. As if this was to be left open in at the front of a help desk it would be a little nicer to show more than a grey box.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared to invest some time to make it work for your use, its a great program will just take time and integration to get to a point where it can be used on a daily basis.

a Lot of monitoring, such as paper levels in printers and status of PC's and software installed.

Its good for this, but not great, am having to do a lot of work ot make it useful for monitoring from a help desk.

Learn more about Intermapper

Intermapper Videos

Learning about Intermapper?

* We monitor all Intermapper reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.