Intervals

Intervals is online project management software that marries time tracking & task management in a collaborative space with powerful reporting. Ideal for small businesses including designers, web developers, consultants, creative agencies, IT services firms, and communications companies that bill on an hourly or per project basis.

Work for Intervals?

Learning about Intervals?

Intervals Reviews

Showing 126 Intervals reviews
Intervals review by <span>Christine W.</span>
Christine W.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Cannot function without Intervals!

What do you like best?

The ability to capture tasks in a reliable and intuitive system so none of my team's work can fall through the cracks. Intervals makes it easy to finish large projects by breaking down action items into tasks that can easily be assigned back and forth to team mates. I love the document attachment feature, the check boxes, and the ability to run dozens of reports.

What do you dislike?

The cap on 10 projects for the subscription level we purchased (49/mo)

Recommendations to others considering the product

By simply using Intervals, the tool enable and teach you and your team:

-how to tackle large projects

-how to prioritize

-how to communicate within a team

-how to follow through on a task

-how to record time for valuable metrics

We use Intervals in our finance office. We are solving payroll, finance, accounting, and administrative problems. The benefit of Intervals is that you can quickly input a task that needs to be completed later, and forget about it in the present. For a finance department in a growing company, we don't feel like the volume of requests slows down our productivity. We can stay focused on high priority work, and easily shift around tasks of different priorities.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Intervals
Intervals review by <span>Joe G.</span>
Joe G.

Not for everybody

What do you like best?

This program is easy to use and the learning curve is relatively mild.

What do you dislike?

As with many others, the inability to easily create recurring tasks is a nuisance. You have to create a project template and copy it afresh every month. Some enterprises that like to track time but do recurring work on a retainer need this kind of feature. Also tasks are costed according to a cost per task. Whereas this is ok for small projects, it lacks sophistication. Some professionals (like us) cost work on the basis of the person carrying out the task. This is because a task often requires a "kit" of different inputs. These include the person doing the basic work, their supervisor and the quality reviewer. These people cost differently and jobs could vary in cost depending on the level of input which then enables us to identify which resource was used more. If the quality reviewer/ manager spent more time, it would make it easier for us to identify this fact and try to find solutions for the next time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a low cost solution if you need to track time. However it is not able to provide mandatory accounting for time i.e. to compel users to account for a whole work day. It is project based rather than time based. However it can do the job with a few administrative workarounds. A pain to use if you have recurring tasks. You can't attach costs to individuals - only to tasks. This is only ok for some work.

I needed a checklist to ensure that all the tasks required to deliver a complex deliverable - monthly accounts - have been done and that there was approval of such tasks. It's important to be able to show clients that the work was done. It's early days still but I feel that it has helped to systematise adherence to required procedure and provide confidence in our processes. Plus It helps us track how much time it is taking and negotiate fee adjustments where necessary.

What Project Management solution do you use?

Intervals review by <span>Santiago Z.</span>
Santiago Z.

SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT USING INTERVALS

What do you like best?

Their organization in clients, projects and tasks allow us to work in a coordinated manner with our customers, also the billing feature allow us carry an effective control on costs. Additionaly the timers is an excelent way to keep track of time invested in working in our customers support

What do you dislike?

The notifications to my e-mail account is not really comprehensive to take a quick review of the tasks, I would need to easily click from the e-mail notification to the respective task in order to take action. Also I would like a mobile app to keep track of my on premise supports. k

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excelent tool to manage projects

We are software development company where control of costs and milestones of our projects is the main purpose of the use of intervals software in our business. Keep control of time invested in support in order to deliver a correct statement to our customers is key to generate confidence with our clients

Intervals review by <span>Seth R.</span>
Seth R.

Intervals online is an effective workload management tool

What do you like best?

Task scheduling and resource allocation in terms of the estimated hours. Being able to follow tasks or jobs is also very useful and the general level of communication that it generates is great.

What do you dislike?

The biggest let down is that you can't mark hours as billed which makes the invoicing function pretty redundant to our company. The way we our company (and a lot of others) work is that we invoice at significant project milestones rather than every month so it is not easy to track what hours have or have not been invoiced.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking to keep track of your workload, continuously comparing quoted hours with actual hours and to improve client satisfaction through better understanding and allocation of resources then you need intervals! The database works seamlessly and provides you with many tools to ensure everyone is kept well informed about the status of company projects.

Workload management is actually possible when everyone puts jobs into the intervals system, this means that we can actually get a handle on how many hours of work each employee has to do and give clients lead times.

Intervals review by <span>Paul S.</span>
Paul S.
Invitation from G2 Crowd on behalf of the vendor

Excellent, could not do it without Intervals

What do you like best?

Intervals makes task management, scheduling and basic project management easy for smaller companies that need to charge for their work per hour, like graphic designers, architects and other professionals.

What do you dislike?

Once the first invoice is generated on each project, only then the system starts adding VAT. So when you are using project budgets, you need to revise the budget up as soon as one invoice has been generated. This makes budgeting unnecessarily complicated where the system could simply always show the budget excl VAT instead of us having to keep tabs on when the budget is not applicable anymore. Also this is dangerous cause if one of our team forgets to up the budget as soon as an invoice is generated by admin, the project profile gives an inaccurate account of where actual cost vs budget is at, seeing that the budget is still excl VAT but meantime the system added VAT to the project costs, only, and not also to the budget amount.

We can get more projects out in faster turnaround times while being more organised and being able to accurately time and invocie for work.

Intervals review by <span>Mark G.</span>
Mark G.

It Just Works

What do you like best?

I like a lot about Intervals. Most important to me:

• Ease of use. I work with contractors, as well as employees, and I don't have a lot of time to train everyone how to use our project management system. I've been using Intervals for more than a year now, and everyone who has tried Intervals has been able to start using it almost immediately, because it is simple to navigate (and has very brief, webinar-style introductory videos, as well as straightforward text help, if anyone is confused or wants to learn more).

• Price. I pay about $50 a month, which is very reasonable given all of the features of the software. Most of the comparable software that I explored either lacked features I wanted at that price point, or did not give me enough room to track all of my (25 or so) complex projects that I simultaneously need to follow.

• Flexibility. There are plenty of options that allow me to customize Intervals to meet my needs (adding project status options, categorizing projects to meet our current internal systems, etc.).

• Features. There is a wealth of reporting and queueing options to choose from. I use most Intervals features regularly, but I still haven't found the time to use them all. You can right-click on many pages to access numerous shortcuts that make it easier to update projects and tasks (e.g., to change project status or deadlines without needing to visit a different page). It is good to know that I can grow into the unused features as needed. It is even possible to allow clients to access the system. They also have a plan each quarter for phased-in improvements that they share with clients.

• Customer service. Intervals staff have responded to me immediately when I've needed help — every. time. They've also responded in a helpful, thoughtful, thorough way to my questions and even to some of my feature suggestions, which they really do read.

• Time tracking. A lot of other systems I looked at charged extra for this feature and/or did not offer a robust enough solution to meet all of our time tracking needs. Very easy and convenient to use.

What do you dislike?

• The mobile interface is accessed via browser (rather than an app) and is not as user-friendly as the desktop version. Intervals reports that mobile enhancements are in the works this quarter, so that might improve. I've been able to get what I need from the mobile interface (on my iPhone) while I'm on the road, but I don't enjoy using it on anything smaller than my laptop, and it could be a deal-breaker if you often want to use the system on your cell phone.

• Its graphic design doesn't make me 'ooh' and 'aaah' the way that some other time management sites do. It is well-organized, it just doesn't look as cool as some other project management tools do. This doesn't seem to be a high priority for the company. Since it isn't a top priority for me, I don't mind this much—I get lots of bang for my buck in other areas.

• It doesn't integrate with as many other services as some other top competitors. This might be an issue for some folks, but it isn't huge for me, because Intervals already does most of what I want it do.

• The file management system isn't quite as convenient as I'd like. Intervals did add drag-and-drop last year, which I am thankful for and is an improvement that was at the top of my wish list, but it isn't as seamless as other drag-and-drops that I use. I also would like to be able to organize documents a little more thoroughly. For instance, while documents can be assigned to each project and task, it would be nice to be able to organize those documents into 'folders' rather than having them in one long list. Again, though, this isn't a major issue, and you can add tags and notes to files to make them easier to find and identify.

All of the above is just to say that there are features I'd like to see added or improved, as with just about any software I've used, but I've weighed these issues against other systems, and the pros far outweigh any cons I can think of, in my case.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Note that while some systems, such as Basecamp, offer a comparable number of projects to be active all at the same time, Intervals allows tasks to be assigned within its projects, so that you are getting more bang for your buck in this area.

I purchased Intervals for my small business to make it easier to track and assign tasks. We previously had a system that no one (including me) used because it was not at all intuitive and was a poor fit with what we needed. I looked at a lot of other systems, including BaseCamp, Asana and a few others that are commonly recommended. Intervals was the best fit for what we were seeking. If Intervals has the features that you are looking for, I'd very highly recommend it.

Full disclosure—I may get a small perk for being among the first Intervals customers to submit a review. That isn't contingent on writing a positive review and I would have written all of the above regardless. After using the service for more than a year, it is hard to imagine going back to life without Intervals.

Learn more about Intervals

Intervals Videos

Learning about Intervals?

* We monitor all Intervals reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.