Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

(151 reviews)

Inventor® 3D CAD software offers an easy-to-use set of tools for 3D mechanical design, documentation, and product simulation.

Work for Inventor?

Learning about Inventor?

Inventor Reviews

Showing 157 Inventor reviews

"It's Pretty Good"

What do you like best?

What I love about Inventor is its intuitive design and simple layout. The tools help you get the job done and can be used in tandem to complete any task at hand. The menus are very easy to navigate and the tools have very useful tool tips to guide beginners with using the multitude of tools. Additionally, I love that you can create parts in separate files and then bring them into one assembly file. This makes it very easy to manage all of your components and plan ahead. Selecting nodes, lines, etc. has never been easier and the direct selection option is very useful for when you want to modify very specific parts of your design.

What do you dislike?

The think that infuriates me is how annoying it is to move and manipulate sketches. You have to use a tool every time and I wish you could just drag it. Additionally, the settings menu is very difficult to navigate as many options are tucked away in illogical places.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you are using inventor, I would recommend consolidating sketches into singular sketches instead of having a billion sketches clump up your navigation tab.

Evaluate if Inventor is the right software for you before you use it. It is a very pricy product but well worth it if you need a solid CAD application for designing complicated assemblies.

Inventor is the perfect medium for us and it lets us collaborate on projects very well.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Inventor
Inventor review by Jason B.
Jason B.

"Powerful, yet needy"

What do you like best?

Inventor has a lot of added features that streamline the design process. Whether its content center, Tube & pipe, sheet metal, or iLogic these additions can make a difference in hundreds of hours saved, a more complete BOM and allowing a true cost analysis of the project.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about inventor is that for all the above features, a massive amount of customization is required for any of them to work. I would love to see an easier, more involved interface setup to quickly make changes and deploy features quicker with company based part numbers and descriptions.

Integrated sheet metal production. The inventor model/ drawing is now our flat pattern. One place to make corrections rather than four before. Saves time & less possibilities for human error.

Content center has allowed us to place hardware and hoses for a more precise assembly/ BOM. Before we did not include them in our models to save time. This has greatly increased our accuracy.

What Product and Machine Design solution do you use?

Inventor review by Megan H.
Megan H.

"4 years experience with Inventor, 8 years with Autodesk products"

What do you like best?

Inventor is visually and technically user friendly. Adapting to Inventor from being a 3Ds Max user prior was extremely easy. Now I use Inventor for all modeling aspects and have actually gone away from 3Ds Max due to a change in career path.

What do you dislike?

There are some tools that are very limited and come with errors, such as chamfer, however this is very minor and there is generally a work around to get to a solution in the model.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We use it primarily for mechanical designs, however we have also been delving into 3D printing which Inventor is now being included in a number of print friendly software to make it easier to convert a file for print ready ability.

We are able to present truck builds for customers prior to the actual build. Not only does this give the customer a visual on how their final product will turn out, but we can also utilize Inventor to help our technicians and fabricators on where the items on the build will go. This allows for less error when going full custom for a truck build.

Inventor review by Scott H.
Scott H.

"Not quite up to Solidworks as far as smoothness..."

What do you like best?

I like the look of the interface. It seems well polished. Some features seem like the designers of the software really were thinking about it, but from a daily users point of view, what should be an easy 'escape' or 'enter' command just doesn't work.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the iPart, iAssembly, i-anything workflow. To be honest, it is really poorly thought out. TO think that making a part into an iPart causes it to have to be removed from an assembly and have to be re-added with constraints is very limiting. What if the part is a base part. I can imagine the thousands of hours that are being wasted by engineers trying to deal with this limitation. SolidWorks automatically updates the part and allows you to add different configurations from a simple drop-down without exchanging the part. Also, decals on iParts don't come through in the iAssemblies. Seriously? The colors don't look right in a render. If you have several black parts, some come out looking gray and others look as black as Vantablack. Not good for marketing or sales.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not sure - need to check out Solidworks first and see if it will work for your needs.

HSM cam is limited in that you can't machine a v-groove on an axis line. You have to create a slot to get it to do it. Also, you can't fold something that has had material removed like in a v-groove. The renders we produce are adequate, but it is very challenging to get the product to look right. Also, it's not easy to manipulate parts as you have to hold down the shift key to get it to spin in 3D.

Inventor review by Steve G.
Steve G.

"Inventor for Millwork and Tradeshow Exhibit Documents"

What do you like best?

Inventor is very easy to use to create realistic, solid designs for cabinetry and millwork. I have tailored the software to streamline my creation of repetitive tasks, and it allows me to effectively document my designs quickly and easily. The software allows you to design and see where problems are in real time. My absolute favorite thing is that the drawings created, are always 100% exactly what you've modeled. It is impossible to have a view that does not dimensionally match another view. My experience with CAD systems in the past, is when drawings get revised, if not checked carefully, views can get out of sync with each other and when something is manufactured, the fabricator undoubtedly will ALWAYS pick the incorrect view as the one to follow. Inventor completely eliminates this problem. Last but not least, is that after being an Engineer / Drafter / Project Manager for almost 30 years, learning and using inventor has made designing and drafting fun for me again.

What do you dislike?

If there's anything I dislike, is that the software could be more cabinet and millwork friendly without having to purchase an add-on. The drawing sizes and model file sizes can get very large, in some cases I have drawings over 200mb, which can be painfully slow when loading over a network.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Inventor is a great tool and easy to learn and be productive with. It is not a direct solution for any specific trade other than Sheet Metal, but can be tailored to fit.

We utilize Inventor to create tradeshow exhibit manufacturing shop drawings, setup and dismantle drawings.

Inventor review by Greg G.
Greg G.

"Improving program that continues to evolve "

What do you like best?

The continued improvement in the interface and usability of the program. Parts in the models blow up or move with no understanding of what has occurred.

What do you dislike?

I've found over five years that it's very hard to get training on sheet metal or find professionals that handle Inventor Sheet Metal to help grow my team. Even with a very good team from D3 Technologies, that's been the biggest hurdle for us.

In program the ability to handle our parts the way we form them is still a struggle. We have built in workarounds for coving sink corners and how some of our parts come together, but it feels like these are things that should be addressed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More improvements in the sheet metal side to make it easier to manipulate parts and models.

Inventor has allowed us to build a better end product. The 3D design gives us tighter tolerances and minimizes the variances that we deal with on our custom product lines. This saves hours on each conveyor we build and makes it easier for the shop team to put together our fabrication on a job to job basis.

Inventor review by Lanny L.
Lanny L.

"Self taught Inventor user."

What do you like best?

I would have to say that the ease of use is the best part for me. I went from not knowing anything about the program to being the go to person on site in just a few months. Between the information given in hover mode and the Autodesk community, learning the program was very easy.

What do you dislike?

With what I am using the program for, there are a few things I wish the program would do (or even do slightly different). But that is just nitpicking. I can do everything I need as of now.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product may not do everything you want it to, but it will do everything necessary to allow your product to be made faster and better.

On my side of the company, Inventor allows me to do full assemblies to make sure all parts align as they are supposed to. When I was using only 2D, there was some issues in the field that are now fixed due to the ability to assemble full products and rotate to see all sides.

Inventor review by Daniel C.
Daniel C.

"Amazing 3D modelling tool"

What do you like best?

I used inventor as a student before and their 3-year free trial made it possible for me to use the platform and learn a lot about 3D modelling. When I went to work, I would always recommend Inventor as the product of choice when it comes to modelling. It also integrates with fusion 360.

What do you dislike?

I found Inventor to be very CPU intensive so it would run fairly slowly sometimes on my Laptop which is a workstation (spec'ed for light CADing)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend people to get the free version of fusion 360 which gives you a glimpse of what Inventor is like before committing to buying the license which is extremely expensive for small businesses. Also youTube has many tutorials on how to do different things with modelling, simulation, and rendering which are very useful.

I am designing my product using Inventor and it has allowed me to create multiple iterations of the prototype.

Inventor review by Chris D.
Chris D.

"Inventor is a very well-rounded design program with many features for a variety of applications."

What do you like best?

Easy to use Interface and button layout. The commands are clearly spelled out and even give you a quick tutorial glimpse of what the command or button does when you hover your mouse arrow over it for a few seconds.

What do you dislike?

Like any software, crashes can occur. You have to be sure that you keep up-to-date on all patches and services packs for your Autodesk Products to ensure you have the best experience while using their software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Every 3D software program has its pro's and cons. While Inventor isn't the most expensive option out there or the program with the most bells and whistles, I feel like it is one of the easiest to use and has a ton of features that will satisfy most needs of a designer, fabricator, machinist and engineering firms. Autodesk has really put a huge emphasis on providing tutorials for their products as each new release comes out. Between their tutorials and Youtube videos, a new user can jump right in and design parts pretty quickly.

My company utilizes Inventor to create all engineering drawings, models and bill of materials. The use of .IDW files (drawing files) which uses the .IAM (Assembly files) and .IPT (Part Files) to create designs is extremely helpful as it can create a lot of automatic information contrary to AutoCAD Mechanical which requires a lot of manual input. Both pieces of software have their uses but Inventor makes design management a lot more simple. We are an engineering firm that also does production and packaging of components, assemblies, weldments and custom parts. We build aerospace quality designs as well using Inventor software.

Inventor review by Kazi H.
Kazi H.

"Can't go wrong with the price"

What do you like best?

Autodesk Inventor software allows the user to design, visualize, and simulate their products. Inventor enables you to create a digital prototype which helps you to reduce on costly physical prototypes. Some improvements on the software are that we are finally able to find the sketch plane finally. The enhanced 3D sketch allows for warping and projection.

What do you dislike?

The price of it is a bit expensive. A single license can cost about 7,000. Regardless of cost, the Inventor doesn't have symmetry check. The symmetry would also the user to find whether the part is symmetric at all or the axis in which it is symmetric about. This would be helpful for users running FEA analysis and want to reduce the run down time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

From a licensed point of view, AutoDesk provides a cloud-based system and the subscription price is hard to beat.

It's easier to create the piping system in Inventor than it is to create it in Solidworks. The rules-based routing tools allow to select the correct fittings and helps ensure that they comply with the industry standards. I can also import it to other files easily if I need it.

Inventor review by Darwin Reynell N.
Darwin Reynell N.

"Inventor is a very powerful 3d design tool. In comparison to Solidworks tool, it is friendlier. "

What do you like best?

1. Have the opportunity to do each of the design of your pieces and then assemble them.

2. It allows you to evaluate every detail in the design process.

3. The 3D design allows you to be focused on what is really important, the design.

4. Every year the tool innovates and introduces you to new functions that make your work a little easier.

5. Once your designs are ready, you can use the 3D printer and manufacture a particular piece. So it allows you a quick "design-fabrication" process.

What do you dislike?

1. The more pieces you add to your assembly, the computer gets a little slow.

2. In that sense, a large capacity team is required.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Mechanical Design is an iterative process with many interactive phases. You can improve the design and making it efficient. I think this software, Inventor, allows me as a mechanical engineer to apply my knowledge and do my work under a specific methodology that leads me to a quality design. It is a powerful mechanical design tool.

Inventor review by Fidel S.
Fidel S.

"autodesk inventor "

What do you like best?

I like that the platform has kept up to date with the new files for 3d printing and hope that programs has new metric and standard files built within. The one sign in for all platforms makes this great for mutile computers

What do you dislike?

I don't like how the files can be to large . Other partners use other CAD and makes some of the details lost when we open up the inventor files on another program

We are solving time and training the way it is setup it makes the expience faster to learn and easier for other to follow a demonstration . This is great for a team that has different CAD software where this platform might now to be willing to works with others but this platform does accept other platforms

Inventor review by Roger E.
Roger E.

"Inventor"

What do you like best?

It has a large library of objects and materials that facilitates the presentation of my projects. It's dynamic when making view changes. It's easy to make connections of objects, application of bolts and springs. I like to be able to make animations of the pieces once finished, I can also perform a structural resistance analysis.

What do you dislike?

It takes a long time to load, it requires a lot of RAM, so you must have a computer with the latest technology

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Inventor due to its features and advantages, it's easy to use and develop exports for printing. It has many applications in engineering projects.

When designing a machine or device with Inventor, I can create it directly in 3D and then it gives me the plans that allow me to determine any structural problems, complicated machining and welding and a set of mechanical requirements that is very difficult to see at a glance. I have used it with my students as a thesis advisor, in engineering projects

Inventor review by Alagappan N.
Alagappan N.

""Incredible 3D modelling tool""

What do you like best?

Inventor is user friendly and best graphic user interface .Autodesk Inventor allows the user to designing, visualization, and simulation of products. I used inventor 2-year free trial version when i was student and it made possible to understand the platform and learn a lot about 3D modelling. After I start work, In design office is the product of choice for modelling. It has allowed me to quickly design metal structures in 3D from your library, which has saved me time, and too have very good finish. Inventor to create all engineering drawings, models and bill of materials.

What do you dislike?

The price of it is a bit expensive for the small scale industry . The multiple pieces you add to your assembly, the computer gets a slow. It is really hard to import things into inventor by stl file .Inventor doesn't have great import compatibility with 3D meshes .Like any software, crashes can occur. It has happened many times but it my file is saved with previous version . It could have been a program error on my part.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a simple and user friendly 3D modeling tool with added advantage of sheet metal modeling and structure mechanics.

My company works for heating and cooling system , Integrated sheet metal production is added advantage .Inventor is a great tool and be productive with Sheet Metal, but can be tailored to fit.It's easier to create the piping system with duct , elbow Tjoint . It save our time on our fabrication which is ease to day to day job basis. It is very easy to model our product and send the file to our customer.

Inventor review by Jeff M.
Jeff M.

"Inventor 2019 Pro: A Positive Engineering Tool in 3D World"

What do you like best?

Parametricity, and FE analysis tools inCAD

What do you dislike?

The loft tool can be a bear to get to work well. The feedback on "why it isn't lofting" is pretty spotty & not very informative.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get into the software as soon as possible and use it every chance you get. Your skill level will be QUICKLY increased if you take an Autodesk instructional course or two, but daily use is imperative. The ability to parametrically alter a design after completion makes Inventor an incredibly powerful tool.

Parametric: change a model dimension/size/angle/material and it updates across all native Inventor files in which the model is embedded/used.

The price is relatively inexpensive NOW...now that Autodesk has made it an annual subscription, very affordable.

Form, fit and function issues are readily addressed using Inventor. One of the really time-saving issues is the Copy Design function in Vault 2019 Pro. Again, however, it's difficult to find good "how-to" tutorial for Copy Design.

Inventor review by Aaron P.
Aaron P.

"Inventor Functionality"

What do you like best?

The ability to import from Solidworks without issue & correspond manufacturing needs or adjustments back in the same model to Solidworks.

What do you dislike?

The cam option needs more machine post support. Providing tools that require VB & other language coding knowledge in way insufficient especially from Autodesk. When there's multiple users posting & searching for machine post-processors for machinery from the same manufacturer it's time for Autodesk to step up. The "wood industry" has been left in the lurch the CAM feature in Autocad would be greatly beneficial for nesting. Inventor should cross-integrate with Autocad much better as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate Inventor can & will easily convert models especially from Solidworks better than even Solidworks. Simply open select conversion options & save, that easy.

Mostly described in the "what I like best" section. The "Any-Cad" features are fantastic. I have a customer that makes pinball machines & we provide all the cabinet parts & the ability to open & import native Solidworks parts & assemblies for fine details has saved a lot of time. Would be great if I could get a post-processor to apply machining to it.....

Inventor review by Vincent M.
Vincent M.

"Inventor is easy to use and efficient"

What do you like best?

Inventor makes 3D modeling very easy and intuitive. It is very easy to learn the basic commands and create a model from scratch. A lot of things are done using the ribbon at the top, which makes it very user friendly. A user can easily pick up the program and start creating 3D models. Another thing is the program does have a lot of other functionality built in, such as calculating a FEA.

What do you dislike?

Larger models become very slow on the PC if you dont have top of the line hardware. But most people are not going to have 1000's of parts. Inventor is also a memory hog, larger models can take 15-20 GB of memory. This can slow down your entire system if you do not have the correct hardware.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend Inventor if you are currently using Autocad to create 3D models. The time required will decrease and the models will look better overall. Also the learning curve for someone who used Autocad will be small.

We are able to model our product and send the file to our customer. They are then able to put the product into a 3D model of their factory to check for interference and to see how much space there would be. It makes the early design phase very easy, and commuication with the customer a breeze.

Inventor review by User in Computer Software

"Very useful and powerful, but misses on key workflow features"

What do you like best?

I like Inventor's diverse set of tools which allow for the modeling of just about anything in an industrial focus with ease.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the deselect feature. I think you could learn a lot from SolidWork's approach. For each feature set, in the Edit Feature menu, there is a list of all selected edges, faces, points, etc. When mousing over this list of selected items it highlights the corresponding feature on the part. Clicking one of the item on the lists toggles selection/deselection making for a much easier reworking process. The implementation in Inventor is terrible. Only a count of features is available so it isn't even possible to know all of what is selected and the cntl+lmb deselection process in annoying and requires 2-4 clicks to deselect the feature.

I also dislike the available method for selecting a closed loop among other closed loops. It is glitchy and sometimes impossible to select the loop of interest because the program thinks I want a larger outer loop. I then have to fiddle with my sketch and the hovering mouse to select my face. What should take 2 seconds can end up taking 2 minutes.

We are not solving any business problems with inventor other than making CAD models when we need them.

Inventor review by Administrator

"Great product to teach students 3D modeling"

What do you like best?

As an educator, I like the fact that it is free. I also like the fact that it is close enough to other products that students can easily transition their skills from one product to another.

What do you dislike?

I know that there is free-form products, however, this may be a little weak on that side. I don't mind it, but some students don't like it. Also, the stress analysis is hit and miss depending on the edition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

For education, you can't beat it. Be ready for some time to install, based on connection speed. Don't do a network deploy(my experience), just dump it on the network and do individual installs. Ghosting doesn't work great on the install. As far as function though, it is great.

As mentioned, in education, the price is the big selling point. I realize the ability for students to build in 3D since they already think in 3D.

Inventor review by Alberto G.
Alberto G.

"Programa de diseño 3D con grandes capacidades"

What do you like best?

Lo que hace especial a este programa es que puedes editar las veces que quieras una operación que has hecho con anterioridad, puedes cambiar medidas y cotas, cuando otros programas de modelado 3D no permiten esto.

Es un programa grande y capaz que es ideal para el diseño de maquinaria y el diseño de ensamblaje grande, ya que parece manejar ensamblajes grandes de forma rápida y sin problemas.

What do you dislike?

El diseño de superficie y de forma libre no es realmente bueno en este programa. Esta compañia usa un software complementario que sugieren que use para tales productos. Esto no es un problema para mí ya que hago el diseño de la máquina y no los productos de consumo.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Si trabaja con mucho intercambio de datos (proveedores, clientes, socios), considere usar el mismo sistema que ellos. Nos gusta Inventor porque la mayoría de nuestros socios europeos lo usan. También evalúe su soporte de revendedor local y si puede o no confiar en ellos para capacitación y otros asuntos.

Programas de este tipo son cruciales para las empresas de ingeniería modernas. La integración de diseños mecánicos y eléctricos es fácil y la planificación de la integración con los proyectos de integración no supone ningún riesgo debido al software. En particular, la administración del motor y los comandos de Inventor lo convierte en una herramienta excelente para un entorno de fabricación, ya que tiene tanta capacidad de metadatos. Conectamos los datos críticos de la lista de materiales a nuestro sistema de planificación de necesidades (MRP) y se envía a la sala. Esto permite que el ingeniero que ejecuta Inventor entregue todos los detalles de un diseño al piso de fabricación de manera efectiva.

Inventor review by Francisco C.
Francisco C.

"Gran herramienta de diseño 3D"

What do you like best?

Lo que más me gusta de este programa es su sencilla interfaz de usuario y sus comandos tan intuitivos. Inventor te permite crear prototipos para validar tus conceptos de diseño sin necesidad de invertir en su fabricación. El hecho de que sea una herramienta de dibujo paramétrica hace que el realizar correcciones sobre tus diseños se muy sencillo. Cuenta con módulos de pieza simple y ensamblaje, conde puedes crear complejos sistemas a partir de tus piezas

What do you dislike?

La verdad es que es difícil que pueda encontrar algo que no me gusta de este programa. Quizás la única pega sería su precio, que es elevado para una empresa pequeña.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toma un curso de formación apropiado antes de utilizar este software para asegurarte de que conoces todas sus funcionesy puedes exprimirlo al completo.

Diseño de prototipos en 3D para su posterior impresión FDM y envío al cliente final para su validación.

Inventor review by nathanael m.
nathanael m.

"Useful and Well balanced 3D Modeling Software"

What do you like best?

Any operation you perform, is displayed on the left. Whether it be a simple extrude or a more advance plane created by the user , every action you make is shown to you. This is very helpful if you are working on a very complex model (or simple model) and you need to make quick adjustments to the part without having to redo everything.

What do you dislike?

Speaking for personal experiences, sometimes when performing a operation such as "Thread" can be a little complicated to use and may require some assistance to use. I personally wish, this operation some other ones can be more easier to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you like Inventor, I would recommend Solidworks. It's slightly easier to use and just as effectively as Inventor.

The primarily use of Inventor in my workspace is to convert 2D drawings that are creating use other software's such as AutoCAD and making them 3-Dimensional.

Inventor review by Colleen O.
Colleen O.

"Long time user"

What do you like best?

I find that Inventor is a very intuitive product for machine and mechanical design. Inventor is always adding new features each year. You can easily make 2D drawings and perform analysis on welded frames. The mate positioning ability works very well when it comes to ensuring mechanisms function correctly. I like being able to add in user macros and toolbars for implementing constraints. The ability to project geometry quickly on a sketch and then extrude it is very nice.

What do you dislike?

The explosion tool is awful and it's very difficult to get exact lighting for rendering. It crashes on occasion. The animation tool is so hard to understand as well. If you are inserting a lot of fasteners the system can get bogged down and it takes a while to constraint them. While the constraint tool is better than it was there are still some issues. I was previously using 2017 so there was no support for 3d pdf. I think that has been added in 2019.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Everyone has their own opinion, I feel like there are fewer steps to do certain thing that take longer in Solidworks but also some things that are easier. Inventor is software that's easy to use and is great for designing large a small assemblies.

Being able to show the customer exactly what we are delivering and make changes quickly is phenomenal. I am able to quantify the design on vibration fixtures and determine their natural frequencies.

Inventor review by Tony W.
Tony W.

"Go to CAD software"

What do you like best?

I've been using this software for about 9 years and it's the one I'm most comfortable with. I like using keyboard shortcuts and not having to move my mouse over to a side menu all the time like Solidworks. The workflow seems faster and smoother. When first learning the software it had excellent tutorials and does a great job of telling you what you need to do next when I was fumbling through new commands that I hadn't used before.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if you had CAM integration like you do with Fusion360. I spend more time programming machines in CAM (ESPRIT/Mastercam) than I do in Inventor these days. I'm going to learn Fusion360 as a comparison, but it would be nice if I didn't have to learn a whole new modeling environment to do so.

Product design, fixture design, automation.

Inventor review by Fredrik H.
Fredrik H.

"Easy to use and flexible CAD software"

What do you like best?

First thing I like a lot is the fact that it is a modern software developed for Windows and DirectX. It is not an old UNIX conversion with buggy OpenGL graphics and inconsistent menus like many of the big players in the industry. It is the most easy to use and logical CAD software I have used, the features make sense and the layout is very productive.

It is also a very powerful and flexible CAD software that with 3 modes of modeling: free form (T-spline), parametric and Direct modeling. This gives the designer extreme freedom of creating advanced designed products. The performance is also very good and utilitizes modern graphic cards better than many other softwares based on ie NX Parasolid kernel. Working with very large assemblies is no problem in Inventor.

It also suites a powerful program language and "smart parts" called iLogic and iParts. This makes it a very powerful software you can customize to your needs. The support from Autodesk is also good and it is very easy to find information and help online.

The huge portfolio of software available from Autodesk also means that Inventor has great interoperability with other industry leading softwares like 3D studio, Revit and AutoCAD. It can import and export in almost any file format available, even in native formats, with AnyCAD feature.

What do you dislike?

It can be a bit buggy and crashes sometimes, not as much as Solidworks but still it is not without problems. Some features are not developed as much as older and more mature software but Autodesk have a quite high development speed so for every year Inventor catches up and in some cases passes the big players in terms of functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't listen to sellers of a product, do your own testing and investigation.

We use it as a second tool next to Siemens NX for converting Revit models and importing and exporting models. Also the free form tools and content center is far better in Inventor. Almost every feature is better and a lot faster in Inventor compared to Siemens NX,

"Powerful Tool"

What do you like best?

I consider this the most 'user friendly' 3D CAD platform. It has a working balance of clarity and expedience, providing solid information for a new user and many QOL features for power users to save time and effort in everyday design and engineering. Product lifecycle is seamless and painless. Works right out of the box, but has the depth of tweakability and customization to satisfy the pickiest of the hand-drafting old guard.

What do you dislike?

Error handling is not the best. Project files can sometimes be a pain.

Some FEA report items are only available by exporting a 'Report' document and not visible in the interface like everything else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is no reason in my mind other than preference or industry to recommend SolidWorks or Catia over Inventor, especially considering price.

Eliminating large amounts of trial and error in real steel.

FEA allows for in-depth analysis before prints even hit the shop floor.

Improving documentation and product lifecycle

Inventor review by Sebastian K.
Sebastian K.

"Easy to use, flexible and fast M-Cad for all non free form heavy modeling situations and drawing."

What do you like best?

First of all - if you have Inventor, you can do everything to get a shop running - 3D-Models, 2D-Drawings, 3D-&2D-Exports for the shop or the customer documentation, even basic animation, cooperation within a workgroup

1. Intuitive interface - i can get all the basic functions to good use, just clicking through them (context sensitive right mous button menues), or reading the help-files or just going on youtube.

Only the more complex functions are sometimes demanding - but it's still easy, compared to others (creo, i'm looking at you...)

2. Easy acces and handling in large assemblies, with easy selection tools (frame), visiblility settings (isolation) and memory management tools (suppressing elements / express mode).

3. I like the customizability via the API an the openly available documentation. There is a SDK within the basic Inventor package, with templates and everything to get startet in customizing Inventor. This goes hand in hand with other Autodeks-Products, like Vault (PDM). If you can code in vb.net or C#, you can customize Inventor.

4. Sheet metal modeling is nicely done and very quick - what you see is what you get, make an unfolding to check it - export any selectable surface geometry to dxf do fabricate it. Some Systems have some more specialised functions, but i can still do much more in inventor, than my shop can fabricate with laser-cutting, punching, bending and welding - i do not need more.

5. The content center, which is the out of the box standard-parts-catalog, is very powerful when using standard parts. (Creo has nothing to compare - at my workplace we have additional software, that is a pain to use, compared to Inventor Content Center.)

6. You do not need specialised drawing personel, to make drawings - any engineer will be capable of doing that. (Sidenote - Drawing personell is needed though, because engineering is not doing the drawings in the first place - it is designing, modeling and calculating and then checking drawings ot ensure fabrication quality. At my workplace we primarily use creo - making drawings needs specialised personel, because of the really bad useability of creo drawing tools.)

What do you dislike?

1. I hate the later licensing models. I want to own the tools i use, not rent them. Inventor is a very good product, but this licensing calls for punishment...

Was supscription not enough?

2. The Content Center Configuration needs work on its stability. Especially the Excel-Based table editing tends to freeze on larger tables. And the updating of table-generated parts causes some really non-discriptive error messages.

3. Cabeling and wiring is not useable with the Item system in Vault Professional (Inventor 2014/ Vault Professional 2014). Properties of single wires of a harness are not translatable into Item Properties in Vault.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do not trust any salesperson - get a test-version and try the online tutorials with valid personell.

Compare other products by this method.

If you decide for Inventor: don't ever take anything as impossible - there is a powerfull API and a very helpful documentation and community!

I am a former User and Administrator for Inventor and Vault of more than 10 years. I still have access to a workstation with Inventor 2016 on it. My first employer had Inventor in the first place. My second employer had Pro/E Wildfire3 & ProIntranet 3.4 in 2012 and was planing on the upgrade to Creo 2 with Windchill. I challenged this plan with the alternative of Inventor 2014 & Vault Professional, wich was taken after several reviews and benchmarks.

Within that project I implemented a configuration to fit the regulations of the german rail industry (FSF-Documentation). The company still uses Inventor and Vault and I never heard any complains...

At the moment I am forced to use Creo 2 - and try to implement Windchill. I see now, what could have happened at my old employer and I would not change a thing.

"Clunky but Powerful"

What do you like best?

It's powerful software that you can generally rely on. Most things are well organized, and the Autodesk team takes the time to hear your complaints and suggestions. It's a great Solidworks alternative inside the Autodesk ecosystem.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't call it buggy, but it certainly doesn't feel stable. It does crash occasionally. It has gotten better, however, but it crashed about once a week (based on 8hrs/day usage).

It's slow. Even on a powerful machine, it can be painfully slow, especially with large assemblies. This has also gotten better, and I see that continuing in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Save often, learn to do things the right way so when you go back it is setup correctly.

There is a lot of automation to be had. However, the learning curve for the automation is STEEP.

Inventor review by Madeline K.
Madeline K.

"Inventor for 3D Printing"

What do you like best?

I've used Inventor in design projects and work, primarily for creating and 3D printing model prototypes out of ABS plastic. It's absolutely the easiest CAD software I've used and is very manageable to pick up.

What do you dislike?

Inventor's ease of use comes with the lack of some higher-level design and test features. It doesn't have all the functionality of Siemens NX in terms of doing stress simulations. However, I haven't really needed to use that, since I'm only using it for model prototypes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many online resources for using it, unlike with NX.

The main benefit I've realized is being able to export in .stl files for use in 3D printers. It accomplishes what I needed it to do without being over-complicated otherwise. It's very easy to incorporate into short-term design projects for work when you're pressed for time and need to be efficient.

Inventor review by Shannon R.
Shannon R.

"Could be more user friendly"

What do you like best?

I have been using this software for around five years. It gets the job done for 3-D modeling. Once the model is complete, the drawings are easy to finish.

What do you dislike?

The program could be more user friendly. Certain areas are hard to access, and I have had lots of crashes, and lost work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a product to create 3-D models, consider this one. However, stay up to date on fixes to avoid crashes.

The 3-D model takes awhile to create, but once that is done, you can create and finish the drawings rather quickly.

Inventor review by Kenny C.
Kenny C.

"Great Parametric Solid Modeler"

What do you like best?

Inventor is a rock-solid platform with a great history to it. The solid modeling engine is exceptionally stable and well suited to about any engineering project. The addition of T-Splines to Inventor means nearly any geometry can be created - from simple solids to complex surface models for industrial design projects. All of that capability and stability means that Inventor handles any job we throw at it.

What do you dislike?

I wish Inventor offered a reverse-compatibility with regards to file saves. It would be nice to be able to save out as a previous version. Currently, only the same version of higher of Inventor can read files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Inventor has been around for years and is from the company behind AutoCAD. With the future moving towards cloud-based tech, Autodesk is primed to take the lead there. Inventor and Fusion 360 (their cloud offering) already play pretty nicely together - so stay ahead of your business competition by getting on-board now!

Inventor has allowed us to streamline and automate much of our design and documentation functions. By leveraging the integrated coding tools with iLogic and the external spreadsheet linking we have been able to drive design from external stakeholders without a complicated process of design meetings or losing information through FRPs.

Inventor review by Brandon B.
Brandon B.

"Autodesk Inventor"

What do you like best?

I have used this software for several years and have always felt that it was better than Solid Works. I like how intuitive a lot of controls are and, if they're not, they are easy to find and learn. The little help menus that drop down when hovering over an icon are excellent.

What do you dislike?

File types can be somewhat confusing and less intuitive than actually using the software. This could be an error/oversight on my part.

Drafting for my thesis. The biggest benefit is using the drawing space to create high quality drawings for machine shops to use.

Inventor review by Serhiy D.
Serhiy D.

"Great Uses for Inventor "

What do you like best?

Its a CAD software with similar interfaces to most 3D modeling software. It is easy to use and transition from other software in the same industry. It was a great interface and layout. It has support for other software and great analysis tools. I like the help functions and tutorial links when I need to make something happen.

What do you dislike?

Its not compatible with some 3D printer software and I usually have to export files manually. It is not open source friendly. I ended up to switching to SolidWorks

Recommendations to others considering the product

Decide what you need, I struggled between Inventor and Solidworks. Inventor was good, but was troubling to use with open-source software.

Creating models for projects im working on. Using more 3d modeling to create models to 3D print my designs.

Inventor review by Tyler M.
Tyler M.

"Powerful Modeling Software"

What do you like best?

Inventor is very powerful and enables you to place hundreds - if not thousands - of different parts and assemblies into larger assemblies. The controls it gives over editing these pieces and their relationships is also very powerful, and the software is popular enough you can easily discover new tips and solutions online.

What do you dislike?

Although Inventor is compatible with other software, like AutoCAD, it can be very challenging to determine how these relationships work and what does and does not work.

Inventor is helping us create parts and assemblies for large machinery. It's expediated a lot of the processes and enabled us to see potential issues before money and time are invested in fabrication.

Inventor review by Patrick M.
Patrick M.

"Utilizado dentro y fuera de la industria aeroespacial"

What do you like best?

He probado una gran cantidad de softwares 3D durante estos años, pero ninguno como este. Realmente fácil de usar. Siempre he estado feliz de usarlo durante muchos años diseñando utillajes y partes de aviones increibles.

What do you dislike?

Como he usado otros tipos de programa, puedo decir rotundamente que no le encuentro ningún fallo. Comencé a usar Inventor LT hace muchos años y avancé a la versión completa

Recommendations to others considering the product

La compañía Autodesk es sólida y estoy feliz con Inventor y AutoCAD.

Diseño artilugios y artilugios que podrían ser inseguros. El programa me permite concentrar mi atención en los detalles más pequeños a medida que construyo el dispositivo y lo ensamblo. En el camino, verifico si hay problemas de interferencia y movimiento.

"Inventor"

What do you like best?

The layout and functionality of the tools are great. The interface is also really nice. I particularly enjoy the menus for feature definition. These are much easier to view and navigate than SolidWorks.

What do you dislike?

The file structure and setup (project files, design data, etc.) can be cumbersome. We are a unique use case in that we have multiple implementations of Inventor based on our customer's needs. This results in having to manage large volumes of data to simply assist our customer in detailing parts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Prepare for the setup. This is a one-time issue, but can take significant time to truly implement a clean environment. That said, there are countless options to tailor Inventor to your company's needs.

We use Inventor on a daily basis. Our specific benefits are limited based on our use-case, but we have assisted numerous customers in the development of iParts/iAssemblies and using complex implementations of iLogic. There is untold value in these features. As an aside, some additional training material or better tutorials for these features would be greatly appreciated.

Inventor review by Josh F.
Josh F.

"A great software for manufacturing and assembly drafting"

What do you like best?

Inventor can be used for modeling almost any design you can think of, either single parts or full assemblies, even large, complex ones. It's ability to export to 2D can also be incredibly useful for complicated details that would be difficult to make in just 2D.

What do you dislike?

It's not an intuitive system, it will take a lot of instruction and hands-on practice to become proficient at. Creating assemblies can sometimes be more difficult than it seems it should with the tools for aligning parts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for manufacturing, but wouldn't recommend paying for if not planning to use extensively.

I've used Inventor to create a detail of threaded pipe coping. This provided a detail far more accurate than anything I could draw in AutoCAD.

Inventor review by User

"Rewarding. It has made my work so much easier and faster."

What do you like best?

Parameters and iLogic! Loading up the parameters on the front end saves so much time when I have to edit a model and a drawing.

What do you dislike?

The default view rotation when starting a new sketch. It defaults to 90 degrees from upright so that vertical is shown as horizontal. Why? It doesn't make sense and it adds clicks, which cost time. It's a small problem, but you asked.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are willing to put in the work to build custom templates and iLogic assemblies, then it can save so much time.

Stress analysis has allowed us to reduce the amount of over engineering we have to apply to certain products we make.

Inventor review by User

"El mas sencillo y potente"

What do you like best?

La interfaz es muy amigable para el usuario. Fácil de aprender y adaptarse al gusto personal. La inteligencia que está incorporada en el programa es increíblemente poderosa. Hace que sea muy fácil construir piezas y piezas una vez, manipularlas a través de parámetros e instantáneamente tener una serie de partes que varían en tamaño y que se pueden guardar y catalogar para su uso posterior. La integración perfecta en hojas y dibujos no tiene parangón en mi opinión, y la opción de coordinar proyectos a través del programa Auto-desk's Vault hace que sea muy simple deconstruir un proyecto para que un gran equipo trabaje en varias piezas y el programa volverá a asociar el partes en el modelo completo.

What do you dislike?

No hay mucho que no me guste, como todo el software de CAD en 3D, es un poco de memoria. Si acaba de mudarse de 2D, le recomiendo encarecidamente que busque un entrenamiento profesional decente en lugar de tratar de aprenderlo sobre la marcha. Es posible aprender que es suyo pero le ahorraría mucha frustración tomar al menos un par de cursos básicos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

si sabes utilizar autocad , este es el mas cencillo

Este programa tiene una interfaz de usuario muy fácil de aprender para los usuarios principiantes. Desafortunadamente, solo tengo el 2012LT y no he usado el programa de forma regular desde 2010. Por lo tanto, algunas cosas probablemente han cambiado desde entonces.

Inventor review by Jared K.
Jared K.

"Used for rendering 3D models for marketing activations "

What do you like best?

I use this to create elements for 3D models of marketing activations activations. This is a simple and user friendly 3D modeling tool. to add, once you learn this tool it the interface carries throughout other autodesk programs.

What do you dislike?

it was a slow learning process for me but once i learned it the interface was compatible throughout the autodesk program umbrella.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would take some time to better learn the program before using it professionally as there is a bit of a learning curve

I use this to create elements for 3D models of marketing activations activations. This is a simple and user friendly 3D modeling tool. So clients present ideas of what they want created and i create visuals to better sell their ideas so when presented, investors are more willing to buy in.

Inventor review by Dale Y.
Dale Y.

"Autodesk Inventor review"

What do you like best?

The best feature is the Autodesk community. It always amazes me how quickly my questions are answered when I post them.

What do you dislike?

There is no way to monitor how much the software is used. I would like to see Autodesk develop some server based utilities that will help us monitor software load. This will help us justify when additional licenses are needed.

Product design, simulation and documentation.

Inventor review by User

"The most intuitive 3D design software"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Inventor is that the software is very intuitive. The commands are similar to Autocad and you don't need to learn new commands if you are a usual user of the 2D design software

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Inventor is the restrictions that the software impose you to be able to extrude a 2D drawing. Sometime it is difficult to find the level that you have forgiven to add. Probably the software should inform you about the level that is not present in the drawing, to avoid to waste time finding by yourself it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are user of Autocad, Inventor is the easier software for 3D designing, because the commands are very similar and you won't need to learn new commands

3D design for manufacturing tooling and pieces to be printed using 3D printer

Inventor review by Fran B.
Fran B.

"Use of Inventor"

What do you like best?

Like the ability to create very small complex 3d components. Also use the flat pattern tool to give us the ability to cut sheet metal parts prior to bending.

What do you dislike?

A little difficult to learn and would recommend training to new users.

Designing parts for our fab shop fabrication. Most are sheet metal that will be cut on the laser and then bent into shapes.

Inventor review by User

"Effienct 3D modeling software"

What do you like best?

You can build anything in Inventor. Create 3D models, import models, create assemblies and drawings for manufacture.

What do you dislike?

The software often crashes when creating large assembly files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like using Inventor and it seamlessly works with AutoCAD, 3D printing software as well as Rendering software. We can create drawings for manufacture as well as create drawings and renderings for marketing materials. Using Inventor with Vault help keep track of all our designs and each iteration.

We have designed many products in this software as well as imported components from other manufactures to test the fit virtually. It saves time creating designs and drawings.

Inventor review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Excellent 3D CAD package that is very easy to use."

What do you like best?

I love Inventor. It's one of the more easy to use 3D CAD packages and it works very well for its intended purposes.

What do you dislike?

I dislike some of the rendering aspects of this software. They could be better. Some of the materials/textures appear clunky at times and don't fit onto the object as they should.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software package can handle all of your 3D CAD needs. You can create parts, assemblies, and 2D drawings from these 3D parts for various different uses.

Using Inventor to create product drawings to send to customers, and also using the software to create production drawings to get parts made.

Inventor review by Grant F.
Grant F.

"Fantastic modeling software."

What do you like best?

As the first 3D modeling software I ever touched, Autodesk inventor has a special place in my heart. The software is fast and easy to use. While it is no longer the fastest way to model (that record now goes to Shapr3D), it has major benefits in tensile and compression stress testing as well as different testing applications. As with all autodesk softwares, this software can connect with Fusion360, which is an excellent 3D modeling software that merges all cad and all artistic 3D model softwares together in a cloud based system. As an entrepreneur, I take advantage of the fact that all autodesk software is free to startups that make less than 100,000 a year, which is quite possibly the most generous thing since Microsoft gave away windows 10 for free. Every feature on the software is built to make the modeling experience easier, down to the shading behind the model you wre working on. Unlike most softwares, when you hover over a button, not only does it tell you what it does, it also shows you a little video, which is great for learning new software.

What do you dislike?

the boot up sequence is a little slow. I have a quad core i7 processor and it still takes like 15 seconds to get past the loading screen on a good day. I would suggest autodesk go along the same lines as recent games with procedural generation, meaning not all objects (or features in this case) are generated or running at once, meaning things will boot up as they are needed rather than everything booting up at once in the beginning. Other than that, it may be time to give the interface a new update/style just because it's been a couple years since a new change has gone through. Everything else is great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Fusion360 with it, it's simply put the best cloud software for 3D modeling and has more benefits than I can count. If you have an iPad Pro, I suggest modeling with shapr3d and exporting into inventor for drawings and for testing your model, just because you can make almost all the part models you need in shapr3d much faster than on a desktop.

As a developer for the HoloLens, inventor has been great at modeling and exporting FBX files, which HoloLens uses.

Inventor review by Tim W.
Tim W.

"Design made simple."

What do you like best?

Ease of use, ribbon layout streamlines my workflow allowing for quick modeling.

What do you dislike?

Wish that the software was compatible with the CADCAM software I use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take it for a test drive and try some of the tutorials to see how it compares to other software.

Optimizing manufacturing processes and send information to the floor in real time.

Inventor review by Santiago Augusto P.
Santiago Augusto P.

"More mechanical into product design"

What do you like best?

Inventor is one application that helps you diminish most of the production issues. Moreover, this software is great to define industrial specifications. It has a clean interface, and it lets you focus on what matters.

What do you dislike?

When you start using this software, sometimes, controlling the camera it's not as intuitive as it can be. Moreover, the assembling process in complex systems can be confusing if you are not organized.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Include "Inventor" into your process of product design when the design shape is close to production and the definitive shape is done. It can be easier to experiment in other Softwares in which the shape definition is easier to tweak.

Working with Inventor has provided me and my peers enough confidence when making an industrial prototype. It is also very useful when issues of precision appear on a product. Thus, Inventor has shown me great efficiency on my workflow.

Inventor review by Paul D.
Paul D.

"I use inventor to modelise mecanical pieces"

What do you like best?

Inventor allows you to do parametric modelisation. It benefit to the good integration with other autodesk software.

What do you dislike?

Surfacique tools exist, but doesn't work very good. tangencies and curvature are quite never continuous. It is a very heavy software, i generally don't use it on my laptop.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Inventor is a good alternative to solidworks. You can manage big projects, if you are organized and have a powerful computer inventor will be pleasent to use. Documentation is well done however there is not a big community to help you on the internet.

I used this software for a little time for mechanical modelisation. i switched to lighter tool, but i comeback smetime to this tool as the workflow you have is very pleasent. If you have a powerfull computer, the automation that inventor offers is a real gain of time

Inventor review by Matthew G.
Matthew G.

"Easy to use CAD tool and a go-to in robotics"

What do you like best?

I've tried three different CAD programs in my brief time (2 years) within manufacturing/robotics/automotive eng, and Inventor may be my favorite. Between Inventor, Siemens NX, and Solid Works It has the best balance between ease of user and power, sitting between the two. No matter how complex the part or assembly I could always take what was on paper (sketch or even just in my head) and turn it physical with Inventor. It may take more time than in NX with it's powerful tools for duplication, etc. but it's way easier to get up to speed and working with.

The interface is modern and tools are easy to find and understand. I've used it to model everything from 3D printed prototypes to production parts to my condo when planning furniture locations. You can bang out designs very quickly and have them ready to print same-day without any further prep before sending the file to your Makerbot, 3Dhubs, etc. You can definitely accomplish floor-ready designs (with schematics, BOM, etc.) as well.

I mentor a FIRST robotics team and even the high school students designing those robots can pick up Inventor and get going relatively fast, the interface is very intuitive and it's a great starting point for learning CAD.

What do you dislike?

It is great for designs based on standard geometric shapes but Siemans NX has the edge with anything more free-form and sketch-like. I've just never had a great time getting anything with many abstract curves to work in Inventor, it takes very long time, especially if they're duplicated. It's definitely less powerful in that regard, even though it wins 10x for usability. If you've been trained for years on something like NX, Inventor will likely disappoint.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, the Autodesk sales reps are top notch and it has the most modern CAD interface I've seen outside of web-based tools (which aren't powerful enough for manufacturing use). If you're a student you can get the free student version for home use, which is great to complete your school labs, etc. with or even just to tinker with CAD and 3D printing. It's expensive for a reason, this is an enterprise-grade CAD tool with a ton of power behind a great front end.

I used Inventor back when I was in manufacturing where the benefits are endless: Needing to quickly prototype parts for manufacturing facilities, having usable replacement parts designed and printed for same-day use on the factory floor, and planning and designing of our actual products to be created on the line.

Learn more about Inventor

Inventor Videos

Learning about Inventor?

* We monitor all Inventor reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
(151 reviews)