Ionic Pro

Ionic Pro

Ionic Pro is a companion Mobile DevOps platform to be used alongside the open source Ionic Framework, for building cross-platform mobile, web, and desktop apps alike.

Work for Ionic Pro?

Learning about Ionic Pro?

Compare Ionic Pro to Similar Solutions

Ionic Pro Reviews

Ask Ionic Pro a Question
Showing 27 Ionic Pro reviews
Ionic Pro review by <span>Daniel S.</span>
Daniel S.

"Ionic Pro Makes The Dev Process Easier"

What do you like best?

The ability to develop with teams and offload the build process onto the Ionic servers is extremely valuable. We've also found that channels and builds are a terrific feature which would be impossible for us to implement successfully on our own.

The support staff at Ionic has also been wonderful. They've taken the time to show us how to use the tools, answered our questions promptly, and introduced us to other vendors when we needed the extra help.

Lastly, we really love the combination of being able to use things like Creator to create our GUIs then import those into our projects - it's a time saver that is well worth it. We're also looking forward to the new version of Creator is coming out that will also operate on the desktop rather than only through the browser.

What do you dislike?

Documentation is a bit hit or miss. Ionic has evolved rapidly over the past few years so the documentation is sometimes referencing old processes rather than the latest way that an app should be built with Ionic. To be fair, the documentation specifically for Ionic Pro seems to be up to date.

We have created a mobile application to connect with our supporter base easier and provide the tools for them to easily share our important work on human rights. As a nonprofit, our resources are limited - so a hybrid framework like Ionic combined with the deployment, testing, and build features of Ionic Pro have given us an advantage from the get go.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Ionic Pro
Ionic Pro review by <span>Brett W.</span>
Brett W.

"Ionic Pro is a Great Solution to Manage Hybrid Mobile Applications"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Ionic Pro is the ability to complete cloud builds of mobile applications and them package them for release. Everyone on the team is then able to download and work with that release with little to no issues. Ionic Creator is great when mocking up screens really fast for prototyping. I was able to create a working prototype for a potential client in just days!

What do you dislike?

The cloud builds in the past have taken a long time, as much as 15 minutes. Building on your local device still tends to be much faster. The cloud build have gotten better but there is still room for improvement. Things linke Ionic View seem great ideas at first but many of the plugins that you want to use won't work with it. This limits its usefulness in most of the situations I wanted to use it for.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to increase your teams productivity, definitely go for paying for the extended features. They are constantly updating and adding new ones. I excited to start trying Live Code deploy which should make making changes easy without going through Apple's validation process.

In the past our teams had issues sharing builds and collaborating on projects. Ionic Pro has made this super easy with their Team licensing. If a client needs a new build ASAP, anyone on the team can go to the dashboard and create a new build and share it with ease.

What Mobile Development Frameworks solution do you use?

Ionic Pro review by <span>Ilya V.</span>
Ilya V.

"Lots of potential to be a stelar hybrid platform, and is getting there"

What do you like best?

New git workflow is very intuitive - pushing the code to Ionic Pro is not different than than pushing it to another Github repo. That really helps for people who are already familiar with git to get up to speed.

Build and package services came really close to eliminating the need for packing binaries and deploying via a third party CI. I see a lot of CI cost savings when Ionic Pro platform matures.

Ionic Deploy allows us to update the app for hundreds of users within a minute! This is lighting speed comparing to MDM pushed binary updates.

What do you dislike?

Not yet suitable for continuous delivery/automation: No API to trigger Package service, to be notified when binaries are ready, not the link to download them. You have to log into Ionic Pro to do all that, and it's a pretty manual process.

More configurability: Can't pass flags to Build/Package for building Dev vs. Staging vs. Production binaries.

Can't clear out a deploy channel or remove min/max/equivalent version once set (probably a bug).

We're actively using Ionic Deploy service for out live updates. We are using Ionic Package for binary builds, which is pretty fast and included with paid subscriptions (no need to have macOS CI build binaries, which costs money). We are looking into implementing error monitoring in the near future.

Ionic Pro review by <span>Tony F.</span>
Tony F.

"Excelent Workflow"

What do you like best?

Ionic Pro provides a very intuitive design flow from start to finish. DevApp and the View app make testing during development quick and easy. Cloud packaging is awesome and the git-based publishing flow makes distribution extremely easy. They have clearly put a lot of thought into the user experience with simple and useful components found throughout.

What do you dislike?

Nothing major. It would be nice if the build view would show whether or not a specific commit was packaged.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The build channels are your friends as is the live update functionality. DevApp and Live app make it very easy to quickly distribute test and production builds. Check out the native plugins, very easy to use.

We required a quick to market development platform with as little infrastructure impact as possible. Ionic Pro has provided this. The live update functionality allows us to quickly adapt to changes in our market as well as with the hardware device that our app supports. Even having never made an app before, we were able to go from white-board to published on both major app stores in less than four months.

Ionic Pro review by <span>Paulina C.</span>
Paulina C.

"Good for Quick Prototyping"

What do you like best?

We only use the Creator tool for quick prototypes. They are easily shared and can be navigated by our clients in every platform (Web, Android, iOS), we recevie feedback on very specific screens and actions.

It's great for showcasing a prototype to important stakeholders.

What do you dislike?

Many of the components are limited and hard to customize through the Creatot site, they require additional CSS to format to certain design frameworks (Material Design, minimalistic, etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It might be good for a full solution implementation, however we only use it for prototyping so our review of the product is very limited.

Communication accross different business areas, stakeholders were rarely included in the design process and when a final product was delivered it didn't meet their expectations.

We can now involve them since the early stages of design and they enrich our prototypes, as well as making the whole process more efficient and transparent to everyone involved.

Ionic Pro review by <span>Brandon P.</span>
Brandon P.

"Great Initial Offering But Hope They Keep Adding to It"

What do you like best?

Ionic Pro does some things really well. Its pretty straight forward to set up. The interface is clean and easily navigable. The price point is reasonable. The support I have received has been responsive and helpful and goes the extra mile - even on things that aren't directly related to their product (ie issues with Cordova plugins). I feel like the offering is polished and what it does - it does well.

What do you dislike?

As a Windows developer coming from using a competing product (Telerik App Builder) for 5 plus years - my primary goal was to use Ionic Pro for cloud based builds (as iOS building isn't an option on my preferred OS and honestly I'd prefer not to have to manage and store all the SDKS related with builds if I can avoid them). I've had 2 main issues with Package so far:

- Once a build is complete - there is no way to install it on a phone except downloading the iOS/Android package and install manually. On other cloud build solutions I've used (App Builder, Unity's cloud), I've been able to install apps by scanning a QR code on the phone and having it installed directly. For iOS this is done using an ITMS link and Android a direct download of the APK. This should be a fairly straightforward feature to implement within Ionic Pro and would add a ton of improvement to the usability (I can provide a spec on how to implement if the need :)).

- I have yet to be able to get an Android build to fully work in cloud when I've had the full set of plugins enabled for my apps (for note - I am migrating existing apps). This is not an issue of Package per se - there has been a lot of Google updates, Cordova updates and Plugin updates that have created a perfect storm of issues - so this is more a gripe about the Cordova Ecosystem (something hopefully Capicator improves upon) - but the available logging coming from the console has made it a challenge to identify problems at times. I've had an issue with a custom plugin that simply wouldn't install when run through Package - though it worked locally on both my pc and mac. It seems related to the Linux environment they were running the Package process on - but there was nothing I could have done to better understand the problem with the logs I was receiving. Fortunately the support team is awesome and helped me find the eventual culprit - but I would have been lost without them.

A third request (though this would take more technical lift) - is to be able to submit to iTunes via Ionic Package. This is technically possible (as I was previously able to do it with App Builder) and would make the build, deploy, release cycle very streamlined - though I admit I am uncertain what would be entailed by this effort.

Also would be useful is an improved simulation environment for development. Ionic View and Ionic Dev app are good for initial prototyping the UX of an app - but once you get out of the initial development phase and need to introduce custom plugins - they quickly become insufficient. However, using Ionic Lab really leaves a lot to be desired too and without support for simulating basic plugins - creates a pretty wide gap. An intermediate solution - a simulator with some standard

plugin support and potentially mock plugin support for custom plugins would really be useful for keeping development work on the desktop and proceeding rapidly (to note this is something that App Builder offered and really allowed a lot of productivity gains).

My primary goal is to use the Ionic Pro for cloud-based builds - though ideally the offering could be expanded to cover the entire Ionic development cycle (improve development setup experience, code writing, testing, deployments, monitoring, etc). Early indications are they are going this direction - I just hope they keep doing that.

Learn more about Ionic Pro

Ionic Pro Videos

Learning about Ionic Pro?

* We monitor all Ionic Pro reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Ionic Pro to Similar Solutions