JabRef

JabRef is an open source bibliography reference manager. The native file format used by JabRef is BibTeX, the standard LaTeX bibliography format.

Work for JabRef?

Learning about JabRef?

JabRef Reviews

Showing 11 JabRef reviews
JabRef review by <span>Maike H.</span>
Maike H.

"The best free citation software package!"

What do you like best?

JabRef is very intuitive to use. I never read the instruction manual or used the help and got started using it right away. You can insert citations by copying and pasting BibteX references (for example, from Google Scholar) right into your citation JabRef library. Then you can include the *.bib file with other LateX files. Also, installation was fast and painless. I especially like JabRef because it is open source and works well with version - sharing systems such as GitHub. I have used JabRef to manage my citations for almost all of my school papers, and I love it! Like EndNote, you can attach the papers to their citations in JabRef, making it easy to look up information from references.

What do you dislike?

I do not have much to complain about, although it would be really awesome if JabRef had a MS Word version that worked like EndNote. Also, it would be great if there was a JabRef version that worked for Macs. Currently, it only works on PCs, so if I'm on my other computer, which is a Mac, I have to use another software package.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend JabRef to anyone looking for an alternative to software managers like EndNote. It is free, easy to use, and works especially well for collaborative projects. JabRef generates files that are compatible with version control systems like github. However, if you are an Apple user, then this is probably not the product for you, since JabRef is not supported on Mac OS.

JabRef has certainly increased my productivity and organization. References can become disorganized very quickly, but JabRef makes it easy to keep them in one place. I am able to produce reports faster thanks to JabRef.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about JabRef
JabRef review by <span>Rosemary J.</span>
Rosemary J.

"Easy to use and lightweight"

What do you like best?

It is an open-source tool that works in MacOS, Windows and Linux. The installation doesn't take up a large amount of space. It's the best reference management tool if you are using Latex to write papers.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to list in this area.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is your perfect companion if you are using Latex to write your papers.

It makes it easy to manage references without using a paid tool.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

JabRef review by <span>Christophe L.</span>
Christophe L.

"JabRef is a great tool to interface your BibTeX reference database"

What do you like best?

I really like the simplicity and easy access to the BibTeX database with easy integration. I really love this software.

What do you dislike?

Sadly, it is not very collaborative friendly. Also the GUI could be slightly more user friendly, but it does work as it is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work with BibTeX format for your LaTeX documents, this is a must have! Give it a try and you won't want to use anything else.

I use it to interface my library of papers to integrate in my manuscript written in LaTeX. It is a really useful tool to vizualize and manage your BibTeX library with a rather simplistic GUI.

JabRef review by <span>Subhradeep R.</span>
Subhradeep R.

"JabRef is best for managing bibliography in scientific writing"

What do you like best?

Its simple, drag and drop. Then it automatically generates the bibliography. This is the only product I have used, and I like it so much.

What do you dislike?

It is not free!! It would be much better if there is subscription for students. I use it in my lab which is paid by my advisor. If there is a free option I can use it for my personal use as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is simple and easy. Perfect for scientific writing.

As a researcher I have to write a lot of journal and conference articles, This has made my life so easy. In our group, we all use the same software.

JabRef review by User

"Great for generating a bibliography"

What do you like best?

Jabref is very easy to use and works well with LateX. It's a great way to store articles for references without having to worry about formatting them properly.

What do you dislike?

If you're using Jabref with LateX you might come into issues with it clashing with other packages which might stop it from generating your bibliography. Need to make sure that you're running it alone without other similar packages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

be familiar with latex as well

generating bibliographies for academic papers

JabRef review by <span>Luciana M.</span>
Luciana M.

"JabRef - Making Bibliography great again"

What do you like best?

It's amazing how easy is to use references with this app. You just complete the information you want to show, choose a key, and then voila! just add the ref file to your tex folder.

What do you dislike?

The UI could be a little better, but that's just what you get while using latex.

The time we used to handwrite the references code is now half of what it used to be! So glad we found this.

Learning about JabRef?

* We monitor all JabRef reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.