JabRef

4.7

JabRef is an open source bibliography reference manager. The native file format used by JabRef is BibTeX, the standard LaTeX bibliography format.

Work for JabRef?

Learning about JabRef?

JabRef Reviews

Showing 11 JabRef reviews
JabRef review by Maike H.
Maike H.

"The best free citation software package!"

What do you like best?

JabRef is very intuitive to use. I never read the instruction manual or used the help and got started using it right away. You can insert citations by copying and pasting BibteX references (for example, from Google Scholar) right into your citation JabRef library. Then you can include the *.bib file with other LateX files. Also, installation was fast and painless. I especially like JabRef because it is open source and works well with version - sharing systems such as GitHub. I have used JabRef to manage my citations for almost all of my school papers, and I love it! Like EndNote, you can attach the papers to their citations in JabRef, making it easy to look up information from references.

What do you dislike?

I do not have much to complain about, although it would be really awesome if JabRef had a MS Word version that worked like EndNote. Also, it would be great if there was a JabRef version that worked for Macs. Currently, it only works on PCs, so if I'm on my other computer, which is a Mac, I have to use another software package.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend JabRef to anyone looking for an alternative to software managers like EndNote. It is free, easy to use, and works especially well for collaborative projects. JabRef generates files that are compatible with version control systems like github. However, if you are an Apple user, then this is probably not the product for you, since JabRef is not supported on Mac OS.

JabRef has certainly increased my productivity and organization. References can become disorganized very quickly, but JabRef makes it easy to keep them in one place. I am able to produce reports faster thanks to JabRef.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about JabRef
JabRef review by Rosemary J.
Rosemary J.

"Easy to use and lightweight"

What do you like best?

It is an open-source tool that works in MacOS, Windows and Linux. The installation doesn't take up a large amount of space. It's the best reference management tool if you are using Latex to write papers.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing to list in this area.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is your perfect companion if you are using Latex to write your papers.

It makes it easy to manage references without using a paid tool.

What Reference Management solution do you use?

JabRef review by Christophe L.
Christophe L.

"JabRef is a great tool to interface your BibTeX reference database"

What do you like best?

I really like the simplicity and easy access to the BibTeX database with easy integration. I really love this software.

What do you dislike?

Sadly, it is not very collaborative friendly. Also the GUI could be slightly more user friendly, but it does work as it is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you work with BibTeX format for your LaTeX documents, this is a must have! Give it a try and you won't want to use anything else.

I use it to interface my library of papers to integrate in my manuscript written in LaTeX. It is a really useful tool to vizualize and manage your BibTeX library with a rather simplistic GUI.

JabRef review by Subhradeep R.
Subhradeep R.

"JabRef is best for managing bibliography in scientific writing"

What do you like best?

Its simple, drag and drop. Then it automatically generates the bibliography. This is the only product I have used, and I like it so much.

What do you dislike?

It is not free!! It would be much better if there is subscription for students. I use it in my lab which is paid by my advisor. If there is a free option I can use it for my personal use as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is simple and easy. Perfect for scientific writing.

As a researcher I have to write a lot of journal and conference articles, This has made my life so easy. In our group, we all use the same software.

JabRef review by User

"Great for generating a bibliography"

What do you like best?

Jabref is very easy to use and works well with LateX. It's a great way to store articles for references without having to worry about formatting them properly.

What do you dislike?

If you're using Jabref with LateX you might come into issues with it clashing with other packages which might stop it from generating your bibliography. Need to make sure that you're running it alone without other similar packages.

Recommendations to others considering the product

be familiar with latex as well

generating bibliographies for academic papers

JabRef review by Luciana M.
Luciana M.

"JabRef - Making Bibliography great again"

What do you like best?

It's amazing how easy is to use references with this app. You just complete the information you want to show, choose a key, and then voila! just add the ref file to your tex folder.

What do you dislike?

The UI could be a little better, but that's just what you get while using latex.

The time we used to handwrite the references code is now half of what it used to be! So glad we found this.

JabRef review by User in Education Management
User in Education Management

"Best desktopn bib manager"

What do you like best?

* Reliable

* Keeps my library organized and ready to use on any text editor

* Enables linking PDF flies

* Enables structuring/classifying papers in a tree of keywords/concepts

What do you dislike?

The main concern is that it is not a collaborative tool. it would be interesting to build shared libraries using the tool

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use and really a good way to kip your Bib organized

Organizing literature for scientific studies, keeping all in the same place

JabRef review by User in Higher Education

"Great for bibliographies"

What do you like best?

JabRef is perfect for creating bibliographies in almost any format without going through the trouble of doing it manually. Straightforward to use and does not require much experience to get results

What do you dislike?

Difficult to find answers to certain problems if they may arise, bibliographies may not appear if certain packages are loaded at the same time on LateX

Creating bibliographies for use in LateX documents.

JabRef review by Grinal C.
Grinal C.

"Referencing made easy!"

What do you like best?

This tool works great for writing documents in Latex environment. Very useful for managing .bib files. And it free!

What do you dislike?

Its a great tool and I have no issues except that the search function could be a bit more user friendly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its good, try it.

I mostly use this to manage my library of over 3000 papers. I am into an oncology screening service company.

JabRef review by User in Internet

"Perfect for my thesis"

What do you like best?

The tool does what it is expected to do - take care of bibliography for latex.

What do you dislike?

It could automatically fill in the gaps like Mendeley software does.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very simple and does what you need. Also available for different platforms. I was personally switching between Linux and Windows painlessly.

Tracking academic literature whilst working on a research project.

JabRef review by User in Higher Education

"Good for references"

What do you like best?

I have used this tool throughout my masters thesis writing and it helped me organize and upload my reference list.

What do you dislike?

nothing that I can think off at the moment.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a useful tool!

I use it to store and sort my literature references.

Learning about JabRef?

* We monitor all JabRef reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.