Jama Software

Jama Software

Jama is designed for defining the set of requirements for what is being built, why and how. The Jama solution helps balance business-driven priorities with the complexities of product development to deliver the right products, faster.

Work for Jama Software?

Learning about Jama Software?

Jama Software Reviews

Showing 39 Jama Software reviews
Jama Software review by <span>Rohit K.</span>
Rohit K.

Super awesome Tool

What do you like best?

I have been using Jama for a while but this was for mainly creating test cases , test case run and capture test case result. But my recent experience has been great after exploring its new capabilities. I am using this tool to manage all my requirements. I am managing all my technical documentation in this tool. This helps me from getting away from word or any other document formats and keeps in one centralized location. Now , I am easily able to match my requirements with the Technical documentation and match both of them with the test cases and their execution results.

What do you dislike?

More reporting features will be helpful, I really like this product and is a blessing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a must product for you if you are handling day to day activity in a big project. This is really helpful, especially in projects which is diverse and located in multiple places. Not only this helps in managing your test cases but also execution, results. The most beautiful part of this tool is managing requirements. I can upload my requirement document and this will extract and make the requirements look exactly as if I was reading from a word document. Also, it helps maintaining the RTM or trace-ability, nothing is better than this tool . I must have for every project.

Test Case, Results execution, defect creation. managing requirement, technical documentation and mapping of Requirements and Test cases.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Jama Software
Jama Software review by <span>Michelle S.</span>
Michelle S.

Business Analyst using Jama for requirements in small IT company

What do you like best?

After years of producing requirements in Word documents using track changes and versioning, there are several features of Jama that I really appreciate. My favorite feature, however, would have to be the review center. It is a nice, efficient way to share requirements, receive feedback, and compare versions of requirements. Everyone can participate in the review process and communicate with each other in an effort to finalize requirements.

What do you dislike?

I had to search for something I felt strongly enough about to say I disliked it.... But I would say the rich text functionality seems a little limited and the use of tables within a rich text field is somewhat awkward.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If interested in an extremely configurable product to suit your process and development needs, regardless of the industry, I would highly recommend Jama because of the benefits it has provided our team. It has helped to increase our productivity and communication, and it has been embraced by our entire team.

We are capturing our business requirements for a new product, and we are very pleased with the improved efficiency and the ease of communication Jama provides us. Keeping everyone on the same page with requirements content and status plus having everything in one, easy to navigate repository has been very helpful.

What ALM Suites solution do you use?

Jama Software review by <span>Dana F.</span>
Dana F.

Great Potential Despite Issues with Usability

What do you like best?

Document Management and Search:

The ability to organize many different types of documents, relate them together, search, reuse, and cross reference is very powerful. JAMA is attempting to give you the ability to manage all records (change requests, design docs, bugs, and even test plans) within a single tool. Search is very fast and you have the ability to save and favorite numerous filters.

Communication:

JAMA fully supports good communication in the form of streams, comments, change requests, and even upstream change notification. If you need to be informed and keep up to date with project changes, JAMA can make this largely hassle free.

System Administration:

We have had very little issue with managing hundreds of users on a single system with a pretty average VM host. With the new docker mode (introduced in 2016) upgrades and management are even easier. You also have the option of a cloud based/hosted solution if you prefer.

What do you dislike?

Usability:

Though many improvements have been made, there are still a number of general usability issues with reviews (more on that below), filters, and editing. The complete lack of a project wide refactor (search/replace) is just one example of a missing feature that would greatly improve usability. Another example would be per-project pick lists. Large pick lists (over 100) are also not very usable which is why having pick lists per project would improve things a great deal. Another usability issue is dealing with empty values is not consistent in search tools or batch update.

Multi-Project vs Single Project:

It seems as if a misstep was made early on in JAMA development in terms of how things would/should work cross-project. For the most part, you will have the most intuitive experience if you place all related items within one project (sharing a set of versions) but if the project gets too big, JAMA pushing you toward breaking it up because large projects are slow. The problem is, cross project search, navigation, and reporting are limited in some ways and can be confusing for most users.

Review Model:

I feel the review model is simply non-functional. If you are looking for JAMA to implement and enforce good reviews, I would suggest to look elsewhere. Reviews are too complex and review moderators cannot control which changes require re-review so every single change (adding a comma or fixing a spelling mistake) always require 100% re-review from all participants. This is just not workable in my opinion.

Having all the design and test definitions easily searchable and stored in a single application is a huge improvement over a document repository (i.e. file share or SharePoint). Two areas that have shown improvement are better communication and greatly improved document reuse.

Jama Software review by <span>Robert F.</span>
Robert F.

Jama Product Feature Management

What do you like best?

I like the ability of Jama to manage all related projects with robust synchronization tools. In addition the custom feature matrix report we had Jama create has been working very well for managing all EFI Fiery programs.

What do you dislike?

It took several iterations to get the custom feature matrix report working. In addition, I have been hearing feedback from EFI users of Jama that there should be improved synchronization of one item to many projects. I have also heard search and replace tools can also be improved.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have very specific requirements on what is needed.

Jama is the primary Fiery feature management tool. It is used to create master templates for our codebases and making customized projects based off these templates. In addition, Jama feature management is also tied to our automation tools to ensure each product as the correct feature set.

Jama Software review by <span>Daniel D.</span>
Daniel D.

MRD/PRD User

What do you like best?

The most useful feature is the ability to link the different categories together - MRD to PRD, PRD to test cases, etc. Another fantastic feature is the review system and the ability for multiple folks to review items on their own time, and for the entire group to have visibility to the feedback.

What do you dislike?

INFLEXIBILITY. Our test cases are not always pass/fail. Some require input data (charts/graphs/etc.) and it is not convenient to input this information into Jama. Also the difficulty to import/export test cases has caused some in this organization to resist adopting Jama.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth consideration, although I do not have experience with competitors' products so I would recommend comparing before purchasing.

Our business had a gap in the ability of the organization to see the connections between the PRD and test cases. This software closes that gap.

Jama Software review by <span>Matthew C.</span>
Matthew C.

Fully featured... but still as complicated as the process typically requires

What do you like best?

The JAMA feature I use the most and find the most convenient is the document review. With a distributed team of opinionated individuals, the need for a thorough review process is key. Our team finds the JAMA review capability to fit well into our requirements management processes.

What do you dislike?

Though I find JAMA a good place to review and archive requirements, I rarely develop the requirements within the application itself. There is so much structure and button clicking to create and reorganize items, that I simply just use excel, word, or google docs for the first few rounds of requirements development. The freedom i get in those mediums, including the ability to share and get initial rounds of feedback, just isn't matched by JAMA.

Another issue that we typically run into is difficulty tracking review comments and resolutions between review versions. Often we want users to be able to see the changes that were made based on their suggestions, but the review process makes that difficult to accomplish.

Finally, it would be helpful if the outline numbering that appears during reviews was carried into other places within the tool so that those IDs could be used as references.

Recommendations to others considering the product

In the realm of requirements management tools, I'm not sure that the silver bullet we're all looking for exists. The solution to that is probably more human than software. However, as one must often use a formal tool, I would recommend JAMA as an option. The ability to track requirement states, perform reviews, and track test cycle executions are specific features I find useful within JAMA.

The primary problem we are solving with JAMA is requirement and test case baselining. Typically we will do our requirements development outside of the tool, but then we can import into JAMA as baseline from which to work. Similarly, for test cases we develop an initial draft outside and then bring it into JAMA. Having these baselined versions of our systems engineering process make traceability simpler.

Once we have our test cases baselined, we have also benefited from the ability to execute and document test runs/cycles that serve as reviewable artifacts. These artifacts can be simply reviewed to assess test coverage and release readiness.

Learn more about Jama Software

Jama Software Videos

Learning about Jama Software?

* We monitor all Jama Software reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.