Jaspersoft

Jaspersoft provides a flexible set of tools to enable better decisions through highly interactive, web-based reports and dashboards. The platform can run in the cloud or on-premises to meet the architectural and economic demands for large scale deployments.

Work for Jaspersoft?

Learning about Jaspersoft?

Jaspersoft Reviews

Ask Jaspersoft a Question
Showing 33 Jaspersoft reviews
Jaspersoft review by Inge Rune T.
Inge Rune T.

"Extremely versatile product, ranging from invoice printing to Self service BI"

What do you like best?

This product has the best integration platform I have seen.

Include the jar files in your project and make the most sophisticated document with HTML5 og PDF output.

Use the javascript API library called visualize.js to embed your reports from the Jasperserver on your webpages in minutes.

Let your users make their own report in minutes with little or no training, via the self service BI portal.

What do you dislike?

The package is missing any prediction or forecast functionality, Also the dashboard need more animated widgets with conditional formatting, like stoplights.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are look for a product to embed in an web/cloud type application. This Jaspersoft is for you.

If you are looking for prediction type of analyze, you need to look elsewhere, or combine with for example R.

Make beatifyl vizualiation of logistic performance directly on the webpage.

Swap old fashion paper output, with modern style colorful graphical printout on any device or platform.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Jaspersoft
Jaspersoft review by Guido G.
Guido G.

"Need a report? just do it"

What do you like best?

Jaspersoft studio allow you to do reports for java applications, These reports can be showed on web or desktop, on multiple formats xml, pdf, doc, etc. The reports can request information from a data base with an embedded query or information may be passed form application. In addition, wildfly/jboss datasource can be passed as conection resource. It is able to use data coming from any kind of data source and produce pixel-perfect documents that can be viewed, printed or exported in a variety of document formats including HTML, PDF, Excel, OpenOffice and Word.

What do you dislike?

There are not many dislikes things for me. May be it look like eclipse and view some windows or perspectives are hard to find. I don't use its report server, but if i want to use i need to pay, for my freelance commercial aplications, so no good. No more.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Jasper reports is recommended if you can support java applications, if you can´t don´t waste your time.

When i need web reports, i dislike to use other solution for its complex and hard learning curve, but Jaspersoft is just drang and drop and go. I decide if i need embed the query or just pass the information to report variables. It is so easy.

What Embedded Business Intelligence solution do you use?

Jaspersoft review by Cameron F.
Cameron F.

"Jaspersoft meets, but doesn't exceed, any expectations"

What do you like best?

Jaspersoft is useful in creating custom reports, as it is integrated into our Transportation Management System

What do you dislike?

Jaspersoft can be extremely taxing to our system and network, causing painful slowdowns and laboriously long reports to generate and populate

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure that your network and servers are capable of the bandwidth that Jaspersoft requires

If we need to pull existing data in new or different ways, Jaspersoft is the way to go. It allows user to create reports and schedules, fully customizable

"Jaspersoft's iReport User"

What do you like best?

For the most part, and for what I usually use it for- formatting, adding static text, etc.- the 'dashboard' is fairly easy and straightforward.

What do you dislike?

I lack in xml and coding and so I know I'm missing out because of this. I feel like there are endless possibilities with this program! The platform can be overwhelming but once you use it a few times, you get the hang of it.

Needing to change and create reports that our SIS database spits out. It has saved my butt numerous times so I don't have to call our SIS database's technical support.

Jaspersoft review by User

"Good and solid reporting software"

What do you like best?

I think the Jaspersoft Studio product does a lot. I'm very impressed with the ability to create a wide variety of different types of reports/graphs/charts. Once you get the hang of it, really the sky is the limit. It has enabled me to produce some really polished and effective reports.

What do you dislike?

The Jaspersoft Studio application isn't my favorite. I preferred using their iReport Designer product a few years ago. It seemed simpler and more straightforward. Functionality-wise, they are similar but I was really used to iReport and how it worked. Setting up workspaces and whatnot wasn't really useful for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm not really familiar with other reporting software so if it were up to me to find a reporting solution for a company, I would certainly do my research and compare to other products out there. I can tell you it serves our business needs though.

Data is really important to customers, so Jaspersoft allows us to take that data, analyze it, and put it into a presentable format that really helps customers understand what they have. It's pretty powerful.

Jaspersoft review by Philip M.
Philip M.

"Great BI and Reporting solution, especially for embedded BI"

What do you like best?

Jaspersoft is great at being embedded. We have done this numerous times in various contexts. Visualize.js is a great step forward here. The license model has neither a user nor a report "tax". You can have as many users as required, which is great for embedded BI in the public space.

The domain designer makes it easy to provide access to even non-standard-SQL datasources such as Salesforce.

The Jaspersoft Studio report designer gives us the flexibility to create pixel-perfect reports (or as good as) when the Ad-hoc reporting isn't enough.

What do you dislike?

Ad-hoc Reports still lack visualize embedding functionality and the domain security files could do with an editor.

We create all sorts of reporting, dashboarding and self-service solutions for our customers. These range from standard document templates for invoices to automatically generated product sheets and complex domains in the automotive accessory industry. Having the ETL component, we can also create specific reporting databases when the operational data is unsuitable for direct reporting.

Jaspersoft review by User in Computer Software

"Good but Complex"

What do you like best?

There's a lot of functionality! I like the fact that there are a lot of resources available online and I'm often able to learn more and answer my questions without having to contact their Support team.

What do you dislike?

The Jaspersoft Online reporting software is very complex. Sometimes it's hard to figure out what to do in order to get started.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm still getting to know the Jaspersoft Online product but I think there could be improvements or simplifications made in the first-time user experience and how to get users started.

We are reporting on customers' data and using Jaspersoft to create easy to understand visualizations (charts, graphs, tables).

Jaspersoft review by Efrain S.
Efrain S.

"Jaspersoft: Excellent BI Tool"

What do you like best?

We implemented Jaspersoft as an "add-on" to our BMC Remedy implementation. Our project consisted of providing invoicing and printout support in Remedy Mid-Tier and also developing operational reporting and metrics for IT Management across our institution.

Some of my favorite things about Jaspersoft include: Java function support, ease of use while setting up the ETL processes, Highcharts features and ease of integration with other tools.

What do you dislike?

One of my biggest gripes with Jaspersoft was the lack of a built in "Top N" feature. This is a standard feature in most, if not all other Reporting solutions so it baffled me that this wasn't available out of the box. Writing complex reports with multiple datasources was easy in the Dashboard tool but not in Jaspersoft Studio. A fair amount of trial and error and time spent on trying to get multiple datasources to work in a report. But Jaspersoft Support was there with us and helped us figure it out.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your organization is in need of an easy to setup reporting solution, then Jaspersoft will be worth a try. If you are interested in data science and predictive analysis, then I would recommend you go elsewhere.

The main 2 benefits were the initial goals of this implementation. Providing invoicing to customers via a seamless integration with our Remedy Applications, and also offer an enterprise metrics solution for up to the minute IT support data.

Jaspersoft review by Steve O.
Steve O.

"We've been using Jasper for several years and are quite happy with the results."

What do you like best?

JasperStudio. Actually I like iReport better, but it's being replaced by Studio, so I use that. With Studio I can create complex reports with the latest graphs and charts. Simply click a button and the report is imported to the Jasper server where my users have access and can run the report.

We use a multi-tenant environment. We have 35 companies/customers with hundreds of individual users using Jasper.

What do you dislike?

Ad Hoc reports. This is not a problem with Ad Hoc itself though. The problem is my management wants us to get out of the report writing business. To that end we push our users to create their own Ad Hoc reports. Ad Hoc is not as powerful and flexible as report creation using Studio.

On the plus side, with each new release of Jasper Server the built-in functionality improves.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's tough to give a reason for a blanket recommendation without knowing what someone needs. I think it's a great tool, has multi-tenancy, and great customer support. There is an open source version to try at no cost. There's no reason not to at least play with it.

Moving our customers to creating their own reports. Ease of report creation. Where we do create reports the process is easier and faster than our in-house legacy system.

"Great Report Writer"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use for how powerful it is and the resulting reports can be.

What do you dislike?

The user's guide / help / documentation could be a little more thorough.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I am not familiar with Crystal Reports, so I cannot offer a comparison there. But Jaspersoft has fulfilled all of our reporting needs beautifully over the past year.

Our business relies on being able to provide our clients with reports showing meaningful data, and Jaspersoft's software allows us to provide those reports in a user friendly and professional manner.

Jaspersoft review by Robb H.
Robb H.

"A great platform for our users to access our data."

What do you like best?

This product has made a big impact in helping out customer base to access data and manage it. What has really made the biggest impact with our use of the product is the ease of training customers to branch out and create their own custom reports. We generate custom queries on a frequent basis, and for those applications that we have integrated Jaspersoft, our workload has decreased. What this ultimately boils down to are customers feeling like they can access our dataset with much more freedom.

What do you dislike?

We have been happy with the response from the Jasper team in fixing bugs, but it can take some time to address them at times. We have encountered some difficult interface issues, and while esoteric and not affecting the bulk of our user-base, they have caused frustration with a few of our "power users".

Recommendations to others considering the product

Plan your domains carefully! We have found Jaspersoft to be very robust assuming you take the time to plan out your implementation with your database.

We don't have to run as many custom queries to provide data to our customer base. About half of our applications with Jaspersoft integration use direct links to canned queries, the remaining provide an ad-hoc environment for user-based custom queries. Surprisingly, we have seen more traffic via the ad-hoc queries, which we initially believed would account for 10 to 20% usage. This has helped us move away from static query links and provide users with a more open query environment. Trying to sustain static queries was a bit more time consuming so we have noticed less effort maintaining our domains necessary for our ad-hoc reports.

Jaspersoft review by Gero P.
Gero P.

"Great solution for reporting, dashboards and Embedding"

What do you like best?

* embedding capabilities (based on visualize.js)

* pixel-perfect reporting, reporting engine

* customizability

* architecture

* stability

* licence model (no fee per user)

* great ETL tool (Talend, in fact)

What do you dislike?

* somehow strange perception in the market, reducing Jaspersoft to the reporting engine (probably, because it is particularly well-know for that feature)

* OLAP (however, no longer of particual interest, at least for us). It's existing and working - but not really key strength of Jaspersoft

* stand-alone reporting and dashboarding based on operational databases and/or data warehouses (data vault etc.)

* report integration into applications

* embedded business intelligence: integration of reports, dashboards and ad-hoc into existing applications

* product development based on Jaspersoft (our product Reports for Intrexx)

Jaspersoft review by Atif R.
Atif R.

"Integration of repors with Visualize.js"

What do you like best?

The integration is very simple in terms of development cost and technology complexity and learning curve. If your development team has skills with javascript then its a piece of cake to integrate jaspersoft report in your application

What do you dislike?

The maturity of the API needs improvement. Documentation is not 100% accurate and up to date

Recommendations to others considering the product

They are continuously developing and improving their products so you can expect it be more richer in terms of features

we have integrated jasper reports and dashboard inside web application. In case of Dashboards we have provided access to our customers so they can design as per their need and it get reflected immediately in web application

Jaspersoft review by Gary S.
Gary S.

"Easy to use, easy to configure, we use Jaspersoft as our dedicated reporting module."

What do you like best?

The ease of integration that Jasper offers our application, amplifies our customers experience!

What do you dislike?

Hmm, I think the biggest issue I see are the questions about Jasper that go unanswered, things that aren't important enough to open a ticket, so you just want to hop online and see it that same question has been asked. Most of the time the question has been asked, but not answered, so I guess lack of a better community is the big downside.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely worth a trial, Its good to have your expectations right in the open, right up front.

We use Jasper as a nicely formatted reporting tool for our Cyber Security Application. Our Customer success team can do some amazing things with the output, and our Customers are happy with the results.

Jaspersoft review by Consultant in Professional Training & Coaching
Consultant in Professional Training & Coaching

"Jaspersoft Community Edition"

What do you like best?

We use Community Edition. It's open source and full-featured. Best of all, it allows our small application development/consulting company to provide production-level reports and real-time analytics using data contained in our clients' databases. We rely heavily on the Jasper Studio as a report designer and use it to create everything from tabular reports and business forms to dashboards.

What do you dislike?

We wish the Community Edition provided some of the features in the commercial edition, specifically the advanced BI widgets.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take it for a test spin. Consider the hosted edition if you don't want to dive into the technical details of implementing on your server.

We build web specialized web applications for SMBs. Jasper Reports is a handy, zero-cost reporting plug-in for our apps.

Jaspersoft review by Brian C.
Brian C.

"Jaspersoft Review"

What do you like best?

Jaspersoft has a very nice visual GUI interface. Fairly easy to setup ODBC connections. Responsive interface.

What do you dislike?

It is not the easiest upgrade out there. We have several users that are using the software and have to upgrade per workstation and not as a network.

Reporting needs of users are being met by the product

Jaspersoft review by Xing C.
Xing C.

"Great BI tool with easy implementation "

What do you like best?

We like that JasperSoft offers a variety of implementation methods for different needs. We used Jasper reports in many different ways. Our internal users can view dashboard and reports directly through Japser Server. We can set up regular report delivery through their scheduler. We also have the JRXML files embedded directly in our other applications.

What do you dislike?

One issue I have is the limitation of columns in table elements. I sometimes have a report with 20+ columns that I have no way to set up in the template. Other than that, I am pretty satisfied with the tool overall.

Also, I really dislike their support portal which requires a total different login credential.

We used Jaspersoft to create a much more sophisticated template for one of our reports, our clients and we are both very happy with the results.

We were also able to create a tracking dashboard for the Exec team to view workload stats. Very helpful.

Jaspersoft review by Rudy Z.
Rudy Z.

"Excellent software but aging and not innovating compared to more recent products"

What do you like best?

Open source, enterprise grade software that has a long history and is very well documented. Has large amount of user following.

What do you dislike?

Software technology is aging, even though efforts have been made to modernize stack and software, there are better options currently out there.

customized reporting solutions and advanced visualizations

Jaspersoft review by Islam M.
Islam M.

"a productive yet little annoying experience !"

What do you like best?

- simple design and strait forward UI/UX

- lot of tools and controls to use in the report

What do you dislike?

-testing the report in the productive or development environment specially will with costume expressions

-memory consumption and performance some times are very unpleasant

-designing complex reports for management.

-reports based on different data sources

Jaspersoft review by Krunal R.
Krunal R.

"Good reporting product with enhanced features"

What do you like best?

Jaspersoft's architecture is very easy to blend in with your organization's structure.

1. It is Economical - Being an open source product, its pricing is unbeatable.

2. Ease of installation. Jaspersoft provides clear details on how to install the commercial, trial and open source versions of the product

3.Great functionality and efficiency. Forrester Research chief analyst has singled out Jaspersoft enterprise as being able to compete with some of the leading commercial market leaders when it comes to features and functionality.

What do you dislike?

Jaspersoft does not own or control these key BI components, or their roadmap or integration.

Once an organization extends the suite’s functionality to suit their needs, they will no longer be able to fully rely on Jaspersoft customer support since that would be a different product altogether.

Some of the Jaspersoft’s support documents have been reported to contain errors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Excellent tool that covers Business Warehouse/Intelligence suite for reporting, analytical data processing - online and offline, great integration tool, easily graspable, custom and interactive web based reports for your organization, dashboard with drill down capability.

It is a strong competitor in the open source BI market, with its main rivals being Actuate BIRT, SpagoBI, and Pentaho Enterprise.

Jaspersoft suite's open source codebase also enables it to support third-party commercial and open source BI tools, which gives it its broad range of capabilities.

Benefits -

Great functionality and efficiency

Easy to installation

Leads the pack because of richness because of its reporting functionality

Jaspersoft review by Robert M.
Robert M.

"Offers an excellent visible layer into our data"

What do you like best?

Our implementation of Jasper is rather complex, being embedded into our platform software. We require SSO, multi-tenancy and a complete set of roles and permissions for our users. Jaspersoft fits the bill perfectly. Everything in our requirements for a business intelligence platform was filled by Jaspersoft without the need to look elsewhere for additional functionality.

What do you dislike?

We had a pretty high learning curve. We previously used Microsoft Reporting Services. Our business analysts were well versed in .NET. Getting everyone moved to a Java-based solution was a bit of a hurdle.

In addition, our pricing has gone up substantially over the last few years. Jaspersoft was recently purchased by Tibco, and that may be playing a part in the increased costs of operation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Jaspersoft is a great tool. Pricing can be a bit variable, based on needs. In our experiences, the license prices have gone up substantially over the last few years.

Jaspersoft has empowered us to create more dynamic and interactive reports. Prior, our reports were pretty static and one-dimensional.

"Fast reliable reporting"

What do you like best?

I love that I can search for a report and the software has a fast response rate.

What do you dislike?

There are limitations for reporting and what Jaspersoft can provide when it comes to drilling down to analytics from other sources like email marketing.

Reearching markeitng trends from email marketing.

Jaspersoft review by Heather R.
Heather R.

"Jaspersoft Review"

What do you like best?

Prior to Jaspersoft we utilized a tool that was very in house driven, I love the fact that Jasper is an easy to use tool that allows our customers to run and save there own reports. The flexibility with Roles and Jaspersoft itself is the reason I would recommend this product to others.

What do you dislike?

We originally used iReport as our in house customized reports tool and have since switched over to Studio, ideally Studio would be easier to use as we have a turn over of developers there is a higher training ramp up then other tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it! Overall I am extremely impressed by Jasper's tool but more importantly with the support and staff that we have come in contact with.

We have less of adhoc requests directly from our customers which allows for better user experience since then end product is so easy to use. The benefits of Jaspersoft I feel are endless, we have just starched the surface of what we intend to use it for and its exciting to see where we will head.

Jaspersoft review by Mike O.
Mike O.

"Japsersoft an excellent BI tool and great value"

What do you like best?

High end BI tool features at a very reasonable price. The software was easy to install, learn and use. My engineer was able to be productive in a couple hours.

What do you dislike?

The multi-tenancy solution was a effective but a bit clunky

Recommendations to others considering the product

Understand the problem your trying to solve and have well defined business & tool requirements. This will allow you to evaluate the software and set reasonable goals to your first project.

Provide real time graphical performance analytics to internal team members and external customers. This has dramatically reduced the amount of ad hoc report my data services team had to do.

Jaspersoft review by Josh K.
Josh K.

"jaspersoft review"

What do you like best?

It does the same basic report-building/aggregations that any number of competitors/alternatives do.

What do you dislike?

Its clunky to use and requires a lot of overhead for simple reports. Too inflexible and too much maintenance required.

reporting

Jaspersoft review by Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services
Executive Sponsor in Information Technology and Services

"User report-easy"

What do you like best?

The creation of report to user from a data base in a easy way

Easy to create or modify a report

What do you dislike?

Sometime take a lot of resources if you are not careful with the report

The interface is not as friendly of other solution as spot fire

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nice product. Maybe not the best but good

Reporting from a data base

Jaspersoft review by User in Retail
User in Retail

"Very comprehensive and easy to use tool"

What do you like best?

It is an easy to use and versatile product. The interface is very intuitive for users with different background and enables business teams to create their own reporting without having to always involve IT. Fast in crunching big amounts of data.

What do you dislike?

Training and support section is sometimes too generic and requires a lot of digging to find the solution. Customizing specific aspects of reports layout can sometimes be troublesome, but there usually is a workaround.

We use this for campaign reporting, linking all promotional history to customer data and transactions. The main benefit to the business side of the organization is that in addition to having a pre-defined dashboard we can easily customize and build our own reports since every promotion may have different specifics.

Jaspersoft review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Insurance
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Insurance

"Jasper Review"

What do you like best?

Pagination in the reports. Highly readable layout. Plenty of configuration and tuning options from the Jasper Server GUI. Ability to log debug information useful for troubleshooting. Highly presentable and useful dashboards buildable from the front end.

What do you dislike?

Only one SQL query per report.

Nothing seems automatic with Jasper iReport Designer: settings in the main report do not flow into table datasets. I have not tried the iReport replacement, Jasper Studio.

Workspace handling of temporary files in iReport, using long numeric names, makes is easy to overwrite the wrong report, and tricky recovering an overwritten report.

Debug logs are accessible only via the backend, using WinSCP or similar software. It would be nice having a front-end solution to view such information.

Only 2 execution threads in the base Jasper Server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Jasper Server and its report designer software have proven to be a useful tool for providing reports and dashboards helping clients analyze and make decisions on their enterprise operations and finances. If Jasper can surmount the shortcomings cited in this review, the future is bright for them and their clients! Features cited currently not used on the BI tab of this review are slated to be deployed in the future.

Building reports for tolling operations/finances. Clients are pleased with the layout of reports. They also are using those reports to make key decisions.

Jaspersoft review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Dummied down version of Cognos "

What do you like best?

Nothing - it is very cumbersome to use and a big waste of money and time

What do you dislike?

domains have to be built from scratch - so much room for errors

Recommendations to others considering the product

Hope the new company taking over this is ready to lose a lot of money

nothing now - I left the company using this product

cannot validate this review because I don't use Jaspersoft anymore - moved on to a much better company that uses a real BI tool

Jaspersoft review by User

"I work with it"

What do you like best?

Its a good tool for report design for software developments. Some versions have utilities for BI

What do you dislike?

The best version isnt free. This versions havent utilities as analytics tools

The complex report design is more easy with it than BIRT

Jaspersoft review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Great BI Product with Self Service"

What do you like best?

Ease of setup. Especially with Jaspersoft's new AWS Marketplace offering. Very affordable to POC the product.

What do you dislike?

NO IMPALA CONNECTIVITY!!! Really wanted to see Impala connectivity to bypass the map reduce phase of Hive. This would have really increased the speed of report/dashboard generation.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate all other reporting possibilities, but if integrating with big data this is your tool.

Dashboards for high level executives, self-service reporting and canned reports. Coming from an SSRS background with some crystal report experience, we were able to get reports and dashboards up and running very quickly.

Jaspersoft review by User in Computer Software

"Great tool. Gives ability to download report in multiple formats. "

What do you like best?

Gives the ability to hook up to multiple data sources.

What do you dislike?

Great tool. Gives ability to download report in multiple formats. Minimal tech support found.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We have paid version for our company. But number of questions we ask jasper soft is very limited.

Use to reporting on daily basis.

Jaspersoft review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Used this product for reporting feature for various projects"

What do you like best?

Attach various data store at a time.

It has good GUI.

What do you dislike?

Timezone conversions are sometimes complicated

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give good customer support atleast to paid versions.

Reporting on dad to day basis. Easy to export csv data and email it to clients

Learning about Jaspersoft?

* We monitor all Jaspersoft reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.