Joomla

Joomla is a content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications.

Work for Joomla?
Solodev 2x

Learning about Joomla?

Joomla Reviews

Joomla review by <span>Erin H.</span>
Erin H.

An ok CMS for free/cheap

What do you like best?

I suppose the best thing that can be said about Joomla is that it's easy for non-technical users. The content management system is likely better understood by the average person who hasn't dealt with a CMS before, and for the price (normally free + however much they spend to get a template for their site), it's a decent choice.

What do you dislike?

If I compare joomla to another free CMS such as umbraco, I feel like it has a lot of shortcomings. And as someone who easily understood sitecore, kentico, and umbraco, joomla was very confusing until I did some reading and research. It isn't organized in a logical way but rather in a way that makes it friendly to a non-tech user, as mentioned before.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you read up on Joomla and either get some training, or just give yourself time to fiddle around with Joomla before you're on a tight deadline for content completion.

We needed a CMS that was cheap/free for a side project I was working on, and the project lead selected Joomla. I was put in charge of the initial setup and management of the site in Joomla, so in that regard, it solved the problem of a need to manage and display content that would respond well to mobile devices.

Showing 165 Joomla reviews
Joomla review by <span>Angelica D.</span>
Angelica D.

Joomla the CMS that would make your life easier!

What do you like best?

Joomla is a very flexible tool for not technica users and experts web designers. Once you get the hang of how the different features, modules, compponents, plugins, and content are structured, it becomes very easy to maintain an active website with lots of updates. Also it is possible to find a lot of components, and modules for free, you can integrate another applications, create your own code, it is easy to setup, and very fast to generate a change in a website, just in seconds, but the best is that is free.

What do you dislike?

Maybe updates because always I have to make my backup just in case that my upgrade can generate some errors, if I want to create a ecommerce store, I cannot integrate the code from the banks, It only allows paypal and this kind of payments methods, but If I want to integrate the banks code it is not possible, also I hate the problems with permissions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Joomla is a good tool if you want to have a website fast, to a low cost, and with a professional look.

I have been able to create a webpage in 15 days which was very fast for my client and he was surprise with the results. Also it is very fast to make changes in my websites which is great because everyday i can change the look of my website and publish blog articles in matter of seconds.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Joomla
Joomla review by <span>Christian C.</span>
Christian C.

Website Management Made Easy

What do you like best?

-As a person that is not incredibly tech saavy, this platform makes it easy to implement quick changes to our website content.

-The sorting of pages and articles makes it easy to search for the correct pages to edit as well as keep a running history of what we've created before.

-The integration with other systems we use is seamless

What do you dislike?

-I would like the ability to at least see the back end code so when bugs occur we can identify the problem without hiring outside IT

-The document and file sorting is a bit of a mess and hard to navigate

-In line text editing could be a little more in-depth

Joomla is a quick and easy way for even the least technical people to be able to manage their website content. It has made it easy for me to be able to create new pages as well as edit content on the pages.

What Web Content Management solution do you use?

Joomla review by <span>Lucas R.</span>
Lucas R.

Joomla! is the multitalented CMS

What do you like best?

I really like the flexibility of Joomla! with all the extensions and templates. Thanks to overrides and custom fields you can do nearly everything with this CMS. In case you need support you can mostly find the solution directly from the great community behind it. Join a JoomlaDay or a Joomla User Group and always stay up to date with the latest trends

What do you dislike?

Nothing in special. Joomla! delivers everything you need from a responsive default template to an ever enhancing extension directory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Can't wait for Joomla 4 with even more functionalities.

if you consider using Joomla! don't miss out the chance to meet the community. Wether on a JoomlaDay, the JandBeyond Conference or a local meetup of you nearest Joomla User Group.

Easy content management for multiple users. We have multiple people creating content and thanks to the advanced ACL nothing can go wrong.

To display our google calendar directly on the website we simply added a new module to the front-page and added the given code by google without any bigger issues. As already said: You can solve everything within Joomla!

Joomla review by <span>Sarah C.</span>
Sarah C.

Effective, but not user-friendly

What do you like best?

Joomla can really do anything you want. If you have someone who can code and customize a website from soup to nuts, Joomla can host it with almost infinite possibilities. Its also an open-source CMS which means you can switch coders or hosts at any time - as long as they know their way around Joomla, they can get around your site.

What do you dislike?

Even once customized to your particular website, the backend of Joomla is not at all intuitive or user-friendly. You absolutely have to be specifically trained to navigate it in order to update or add content. If you do not have a web team on staff, you can quickly get in over your head. I'm a PR manager and so my background is not in the tech side of websites - just the content management. I can use most of the basic features of Joomla and I can keep our website more or less up-to-date, but I cannot make any design changes or extensive updates without outsourcing to a web developer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would only choose Joomla if you have an in-house development team and need a very customized, high-end website. If you have more basic needs or do not have web developers on staff, go with something like WordPress or SquareSpace.

Joomla was an excellent fix for our organization because it got our website off of a proprietary CMS system and onto an open source one, meaning that it was much easier for us to hire outside contractors to work on it and maintain the site. It also has limitless features - we needed a responsive calendar integrated as well as some other custom coding and our developer was able to put in everything that we needed.

Joomla review by <span>Katrina B.</span>
Katrina B.

Joomla is a great website CMS

What do you like best?

I love that Joomla is free, full of extensions and that it contains the ability to add so many necessary extensions for free. It is easy to use, once you know how.

What do you dislike?

Not much in Joomla that I dislike, except that there are not a lot of free templates to choose from that work well on mobile phones.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Joomla is free, but it offers a plethora of extensions and plugins that help to improve the viability of your business website. Since it is so rich in basic services, there is a learning curve in figuring out how to make your website work. If you stick to it, watch the videos on youtube that show you how to create your website, and then add extensions, plugins and content, you should be up and running in no time!

Joomla CMS offers a lot of free extensions, which help me to create professional-looking business websites that are interactive and have the ability to compete with other, more expensively-created websites.

Joomla review by <span>Steven J.</span>
Steven J.

Feature rich open source CMS at the top of the list

What do you like best?

Highly adaptable framework and very intuitive back-end; with many thousands of well developed Extensions available to boost site features, tending to work out-of-the-box with a highly finished look and feel.

What do you dislike?

Having used other content management systems, the back-end feels in need of a little more development. Clients tend to take longer to pick up management than on Drupal for example. Most Extensions carry additional costs but is relatively minimal compared with Drupal's free Modules which then require further development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look at required site features, comparing Joomla! Extensions available with Drupal's Modules and the level of support and bug releases on each. Joomla! has much more well designed Extensions at a cost, which may be more difficult to further extend; Drupal Modules have more extendibility from the ground-up, carry no cost, but require much more time to develop.

Better ecommerce manageability. That compared to some other CMS ecommerce solutions, there is a much wider range of configurations available when integrating VirtueMart, making this one of the top choices.

Learning about Joomla?

* We monitor all Joomla reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.