JSHint

JSHint is a community-driven tool to detect errors and potential problems in JavaScript code.

Work for JSHint?

Learning about JSHint?

JSHint Reviews

Showing 10 JSHint reviews
JSHint review by <span>Nicholas W.</span>
Nicholas W.

Sanity Checks (Like Other Languages) But for JScript!

What do you like best?

JSHint helps me to code faster in my IDEs. It helps to ensure quality code and code that is lacking silly errors that otherwise is only found through testing.

What do you dislike?

It lacks some of the edge-case configuration that I wanted and could potentially use a bit easier path to configure, for other users less used to manual config files, as well as I've found getting my fellow developers to adopt JSHint takes some work for those with less command-line experience. Additionally, it is a bit slow when dealing with large code-bases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Help users get it all configured and set-up and then just get used to checking JSHint before committing code and as often as possible. Saves time!

JSHint helps to ensure everyone follows good coding practices, sticks to a common standard, and, ahead of time, avoids as many bugs and mistakes as possible.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about JSHint
JSHint review by <span>Jim Ryan Z.</span>
Jim Ryan Z.

What you Javascript developers need

What do you like best?

I like that plugins for the software are available for the current editor I use, Vim. Not only that, it also supports other editors too. It could also function without one and go directly to the terminal.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about JSHint is it's speed and configurability. I've used other linters to especially ESLint and I could really see the difference in the speed the two has. With our hude codebase comprising of mostly javascript stuff, I found eslint better when it comes to customisability and speed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

JSHint is a good linter that will fulfill your needs for a standard for javascript coding practices.It may not be the best of the bunch but it is a good starting point to be in for a linter for our javascript codebases.

We used JSHint to enhance our coding practices, to make it more of a standard here in our company so that all js code would have some sort of guide. Now, when a new developer comes in, he would already be familiar with the code structure since it will all be the same all throughout the company.

What Static Code Analysis solution do you use?

JSHint review by <span>Vivek d.</span>
Vivek d.

JsHint - a great code analysis.

What do you like best?

The best in JSHint - it complies your javascript code and analyze with the defined coding rules.

It is greatly being distribute to the node.js community, so it will become an ease for any developer to just called it from the node.js.

The linting Process is quite amazing and easily being integrated to the website or webapp development flow.

It become a necessity to write the 'use strict' so that the strict context prevents certain actions from being taken and throws more exceptions.

It shows the error trace and exceptions trace which make it easy for the developer to find the where the actual error is occurring.

We have also ES6 support in this.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike in JSHint but some few things are there to get it disliking to raise a bit.

1. We can't determine which rule is causing an error if your configuration is too large.

2.Configuration is slightly confusing for new beginners.

3.Nothing to do with custom rules as such there is no support for the custom rules in the JsHint,

Business problems

When we are writing code in any framework like angularjs, backbonejs etc, it was tough to find the error trace

where we are getting the errors, so it become very difficult for us to find errors and after that we choose JSHint and here is the result, it overcome our error trace problem. Now we have an easy going on with the project.

Benefits:

1. Code error tracing become easy for us.

2. Node.js has given us this module to just use in the project.

3. With gulp, it will become easy to configure task related to JShint

4.Most of the settings are pre-configured so no need to work on that part.

5.Showing error trace makes it easier to be used in larger project.

6.Got a support for many libraries jquery,nodejs etc

JSHint review by <span>Khaliq G.</span>
Khaliq G.

JSHint - don't Javascript without it

What do you like best?

Makes writing javascript a lot easier and also helps ensure best practices. Not only is syntax checked for but also if there is some code smell it will alert you. The configuration options are awesome to adjust settings per project and ensure standards on whatever project you are working on.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the rules it adheres to are debatable and could be argued for a different implementation or standard. It's a bit opinionated in how it thinks you should write javascript and that can be a bit constricting sometimes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

• Easy to set up

• Lots of configuration options

• One of the best linters for javascript out there

• Definitely recommend to use some linter, and JSHint is one of the better options

• Highly recommend to tweak the configuration settings so that they are to your liking

• Documentation is super useful and extensive

Writing good clean javascript. Ensuring standards are maintained. Portable across machines and also easy for all on the project to use the same standards.

JSHint review by <span>Anna W.</span>
Anna W.

Excelente herramienta para la constante prueba de codigo

What do you like best?

Sencillo de usar y manipular, ofrece su funcionabilidad en una aplicacion web, descubre y avisa lo mas errores comunes, puedes configurarlo por defecto en tus proyectos y para garantizar la calidad de codigo entre desarrolladores de un equipo, asegura las mejores practicas y mejor codigo mantenible.

What do you dislike?

Tiene poco soporte para ES6, a veces puede tardar en el analisis de codigo en grandes proyectos, pocas opciones.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Existen bastantes herramientas para la depuracion y captacion de errores aunque en terminos generales la mas sencilla y facil de usar es JSHint.

Pruebas y depuracion de codigo, es una gran herramiena la cual puedes usar para que tu y tu equipo de desarrolladores puedan establecer un estandar de calidad y mejores practicas en los distintos proyectos.

JSHint review by <span>Jake E.</span>
Jake E.

A must have for students

What do you like best?

The clean layout of the JSHint app is great. I can easily see the problems the app points out in my code.

What do you dislike?

I've run into a few instances where I will write perfectly valid, workable code and it will show that I have an error. This doesn't happen overmuch and it seems to usually be because JSHint is following a more strict convention that I believe necessary.

I use this for school and I find that it is excellent for testing small snippets of code that I would like to check before I have an entire app running. I imagine it will continue to be useful throughout my career.

Learning about JSHint?

* We monitor all JSHint reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.