KACE

KACE

4.0

KACE is a comprehensive systems management solution that streamlines asset management, better secures all network connected devices, imaging and administration of system images and more efficiently services end user systems.

Work for KACE?

Learning about KACE?

KACE Reviews

Ask KACE a Question
Showing 71 KACE reviews
KACE review by Jon D.
Jon D.

"A Very Solid End-Point Management Solution"

What do you like best?

Kace is actually two different products, the Kace System Management Appliance (a.k.a. K1000) and the Kace System Deployment Appliance (a.k.a K2000). Together they form an integrated end-point management solution that gives you a comprehensive view of your environment and can address system deployment, asset management, security, software distribution, and service desk for medium to large companies.

I have deployed Kace at two different companies, both around 400 users. It is relatively easy to deploy and realize value. The value increases as your staff learns to use the tool and further customize it for your business.

We have realized additional value by deploying the service desk module to our HR and Legal departments for them to handle internal requests.

What do you dislike?

We are growing quickly and adding licenses takes too long. I look forward to them adopting an online purchasing program. Logging is cryptic so when jobs fail, it is often unclear why they failed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have a very large environment / help desk, you might want to look at using a different service desk product and integrate it with KACE. The service desk component, while good, is easily the weakest link in the package, although it is improving.

Case offers no incident management capability.

System Deployment

Software deployment

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about KACE
KACE review by Kent W.
Kent W.

"Hard to Learn, Quirky, Misses on some things, but Powerful"

What do you like best?

I like to be able to push scripts out to machines at will.

What do you dislike?

So far (although I understand it's in the next version), no ability to chain scripts together (so that Script One can trigger Script Two, etc).

I've worked with this box for two years now, and still don't really grasp (non-scripted) Distribution or the two Software databases; it seems all terribly convoluted to me, and I'm not a dumb guy. At all.

I don't like that I can't push the agent to a Windows machine without either using a 3rd-party tool (Active Directory) or doing pre-push prep work on each potential Windows client. I want one tool that does it all, remotely. I'm not sure that's possible, with the design of Windows, but still, I dislike the situation.

I dislike some of the layouts - scroll all the way to the bottom to hit Save, but oops, what if this isn't the right script? I better check which script I'm saving; scroll all the way to the top to see the name; yep, it's the right one; scroll all the way to the bottom to hit Save.

All that's on the K1. The K2 has become partially useless to us, as with the changes Mac has made to its systems, "Imaging is dead", and the K2 can't image Macs any more.

Although I really like the scripted installs on the K2, I don't care for the new "Task Groups". They only do about 50% of what they should do, and at that low-level, they are essentially useless to me.

And again, the layout. So. Much. Scrolling.

And both appliances need some sort of Undo, or at least "Save a copy"; it's way too easy to slip on a click and not know what you've done, and lose something important.

And organization! I want to be able to organize my scripts and tasks and deployments, so instead of digging through 200 scripted installs, I can arrange them into collapsible/expandable groups, etc.

And again, task-chaining. Please, oh please, let me chain one task to another, so that I can have a standard scripted install of a standard Windows setup (composed of Windows, Office, antivirus) , and at the end of that, change out one (or better, trigger with a run-time option/environment variable), a chained link to a different set of installation routines (one that has business apps, one that has student-learning apps, one that has CAD apps, etc), so that my main Windows image can be the base for 20 different individual setups with just a tweak of an environmental variable or a checkbox.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think KACE has a lot of promise, but it's got a lot of rough edges.

Because the learning curve is so high and steep, we've gone through four or five different KACE system managers (I'm the most recent one), and none have really gotten full control of the boxes. I've been at it two years now (and went to this last Spring's KACE UserKonf (or whatever it was called), and am just now getting to where I can say I'm fairly comfortable with the boxes.

But now that I'm at that point, I'm able to get a call that Computer X needs Software Y, and in a few short clicks, boom, the software is there. (It would help a lot to have that chaining feature, as many of our computers are frozen with Deep Freeze, which means thawing them first, rebooting, install the software, freeze them, and reboot; since there's no [easy, built-in] way to continue a task over a reboot, I have to manually babysit this process, when it should be much more automagic.)

We image new Dells with the K2, using scripted images. For the most part it works pretty well, but there's not easy way to get diagnostic results, and there's often random failures in the process, so that on this run, Adobe XD gets installed, but on the next one with identical hardware, XD fails to install, and we don't know it until we physically check the after-imaging results. I'm sure we could make our installation tasks more robust with our own debugging routines, but then, that kind of puts the onus back on us instead of on the product that promised to make our lives easier. Still, it works well enough that it beats imaging the computers by hand, one-by-one, the way we used to do it.

And we want to use the K1 for patching our machines, but again, the complexity of the process leaves us making very small maneuvers in that direction, so as not to hose our campus with a bad push.

What Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution do you use?

KACE review by Horacio R.
Horacio R.

"Imaging, Inventory and Helpdesk all-in-on brand"

What do you like best?

Kace has help us integrate all of our IT needs from inventory to imaging. Having these appliances to to everything automatic and pushed software is a plus. Summer task are so much easy imaging across the network with almost zero technicians intervention.

We have been using KACE SMA since 2008 and SMD since 2010 our Inventory became more accurate and computer were rolled out in a faster pace. Our techs adapted quickly to the new service desk and user could check their tickets status by login to the user portal.

KACE support Windows and Apple platforms, this way we can manage everything from one solution, we just love it.

Support , when ever we needed they fix our problems so we don't have to keep our system down for too long. Over All, KACE It is a great solution.

What do you dislike?

there is always room for improvement, however... at this point KACE does what we need.

Recommendations to others considering the product

KEEP it coming, great software upgrades and improvements were just released with 9.0v and 6.0v

Inventory control, deploy images across networks and most important we can manage PC and Apple.

Service desk allows users to know their status of tickets as well submit submit their own request.

KACE review by Jason A.
Jason A.

"Kace Review"

What do you like best?

The service desk module is the best. It allows our teachers to create work orders and us to keep track of their service. It lets us tie in our inventory to the work orders and scripting.

What do you dislike?

Kace has many bugs. Inventory doesn't report back the stock to all the filters that Kace has to offer and running scripts has certain problems that prevent it from running correctly.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Wait till the major version comes before buying. Support is a hit and miss. I dread having to call them. I get someone who doesn't know how to talk to customers or someone who doesn't know their own product.

We use Kace 2000 to deploy images on a bulk scale allowing us to efficiently get them out on time. Before we had outsourced this which cost the district extra money and delay.

KACE review by Travis Keith O.
Travis Keith O.

"Windows Good, Apple Bad"

What do you like best?

Kace does a great job of imaging Windows machines. The scripted images are very nice, and the automatic driver installs are excellent.

What do you dislike?

Kace does not support Apple computers. It takes 6 months for Kace to adjust to the newest Apple OS, which means I'm half a year without being able to use the K2 on Apple machines. That seems a waste. And this says nothing about how the K2 isn't compatible with Apple's latest OS, High Sierra. That's just not good in my book.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Mac imaging has to be addressed and updated in a more timely manner. If that's not possible, there has to be a more clear suggestion for customers to follow.

We're able to image Windows machines, and push installs to computer effectively. We are also able to patch computers in a timely manner.

KACE review by Michelle D.
Michelle D.

"Not intuitive"

What do you like best?

At the end of the day, this product does get the job done. There is plenty of detail that can be collected, and users can securely send attachments through the system. A few weeks ago, they upgraded the look. I do like the new color, font, and size scheme, but I think their efforts would have been better spent on more substantive structural changes to the product.

What do you dislike?

Kace is not an intuitive product, and it seems like it is an interface that may have been great in the early 2000s. It feels like I have to click a million times to isolate that tickets I am trying to look at. The emails that send through the system are bulky and don't seem very inviting. It can be hard to track down where the meat of the information is. My organization switched from Kace to another product for about two years, then back to Kace for cost reasons, and the difference in quality between the two frustrates me every single time I use it. I am pretty sure that in the 2 year break, there were no improvements or structural changes to the product. I don't think that setting up a new ticket is intuitive at all. Overall, it is a very clunky product.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If cost is your main concern, go for it, but if you have a little extra to put into a better ticketing system, I would reccommend it.

We use Kase as a ticket system for both IT and data oriented offices. Having a ticket system is a necessity in my field, but Kase is pretty frustrating.

KACE review by Brandon P.
Brandon P.

"Expensive but viable option for MSPs"

What do you like best?

As an MSP, supporting over 1000 machines scattered around the nation, KACE has been a vital tool to our company in our support of our customers. It's agent/server model allows the agent to communicate outbound through some very complex networks, allowing us to easily obtain computer software/hardware details, along with being able to push files and manage installation to those same computers remotely.

What do you dislike?

Originally purchased through Dell when they were supporting the platform, the platform has recently been aquired by Quest Software. While some minor hiccups in the transition, the product remains viable to us. We're hoping with new hands on the product, some of the minor bugs (agents occasionally don't connect, minor glitches in updates recently provided by Quest) should be ironed out and improved in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Setup a trial and ensure the machines you have can communicate outbound via HTTPS. Be aware for sticker shock - this product was in the tens of thousands range (granted we have 1000+ machines it works with)

Before, all updates for customer machines were provided via physical media, or posted to an FTP server. With the amount of machines in the field increasing, we needed a solution that allows us to be proactive with our customers to ensure hardware and software issues were worked out ahead of time. We also needed a more efficient way of pushing necessary updates to our customers and automating the install of those updates. The KACE platform has greatly improved our efficiency as giving us a single pane of glass to our customers' machines and ensuring we can find and resolve problems well before our customers even realize there is an issue.

KACE review by Chris D.
Chris D.

"Computer Systems Manager"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and ability to manage disconnected road warrior computers. Patch support for non Microsoft products. Deep integration with Dell hardware (BIOS, warranty info, etc).

What do you dislike?

Periodic problems with KACE agents that stop communicating. Some confusion over overlap between SMA managed installs and SDA post-installation tasks. Can't select post-install tasks to sync to SDA RSA. Some limitations in options for Help Desk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Prepare users for install by developing a communication plan on the expectations for their interaction with the patch process (not putting laptop to sleep without installing, why multiple reboots may be necessary at first.

Patch management & remote computer management. Patch compliance and reporting have improved dramatically. I now have almost the same ability to manage disconnected road warrior computers as those that are on my LAN.

KACE review by Steve M.
Steve M.

"Kace management at school"

What do you like best?

Ease of Imaging with the SDA and then managing the devices with the SMA. We can image over one hundred machine at a time and I can manage every desktop for my office with ease.

What do you dislike?

Problems with managing Apple devices like we do with windows devices

Recommendations to others considering the product

Join ITNinja they are a great community to help Kace newbies. Attended KACE User Kons or roadshows for good education on the product

Ability to image all the classrooms in the short summer and year round management of all desktops. It has helped us manage systems with a small staff. I am currently the number one rated ITNinja in the world and I have also taught classes at Kace userkon .

KACE review by Administrator in Insurance
Administrator in Insurance

"Great product for automated software patching across the network and inventory of SW & HW"

What do you like best?

Windows OS & OS X support

Inventory tracking

licensing tracking

patching for our non-MS software

can run as a virtual instance (with a ready to run VMWare image)

ability to see who has not checked in with the network and how long it has been

Regular updates to appliance and agents even after the sale from Dell

Pricing is very cost competitive compared with other solutions

What do you dislike?

We probably use less than 1/4 of what KACE offers us

Minimum license count is 100 (we have a staff under <50)

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you require a patching solution for non-MS software or a better visibility of hardware and software on your network and require a solution that does not bust the bank to do all of this.

We needed a solution that would give us the ability to update non-Microsoft software we are running in place here.

The ability to also have more visibility to our hardware and software inventory is certainly a bonus to have when

KACE review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"KACE Customer Through the Growth"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility of KACE. We first purchased it because it could manage Mac, PC, and asset management. Over the years it has changed alot, but what hasn't changed is the flexibility of the tool.

What do you dislike?

I have disliked all the changes. Being a customer for years, KACE has changed hands multiple times and with those changes has come a change in direction. For example, when Dell owned KACE, the idea was that KACE would work better for Dell computers. However, my experience has not been that. Dell does as much if not more with SCCM then KACE, so it did not really have a competetive advantage in a Dell shop that I thought it would.

I very much dislike the self-service. At this point, we use multiple tools and the self-service module of KACE is the worst of all the tools. As we are trying to shift left and solve more at tier 0, this weakness has become more and more evident.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It has gone through alot of changes, but seems to be in the right home with Quest. There are other products out there that are better, but nothing is as flexible. So if you have a diverse environment and can't afford a number of different tools, KACE is one tool that can get it done to a satisfactory level.

Asset management is a major one, which ties to security and compliance. We keep static records in KACE and dynamic records (agent based information). The issue with that is the agent sometimes disconnects from the static record and can make things confusing.

KACE review by Zach G.
Zach G.

"KACE SMA and SDA"

What do you like best?

Everything about KACE is awesome. The best part is probably the system inventory and application deployment though. The system inventory tells me everything that I need to know. I have another tool that I use, but it doesn't work as well as KACE does. As for deployment, our company has deployed Office 365 world wide in a matter of 2 weeks. For any company, that is pretty impressive. About all of that was done through KACE. We still use it every day.

What do you dislike?

I would say the lack of granularity of the security, which causes a need for new Orgs. I have a lot of users that would need Admin access to only certain things. However, that does not work with what the privileges are now. It's fine, but I think there should be an option to make that possible. I also dislike level 1 support. It seems as time has gone by, support has gotten a little bit worse. I just put in a level 2 call, and it took 3-4 business days to actually get on a call with support. I think that needs to change.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a serious shot. I would have to say that it works really well. We were going to try Landesk, but they didn't give us a shot at the product. Dell let us use it unconditionally as a trial. It worked out very well in the end.

Service desk, which was on an old Lotus Domino system. Also asset management. The benefits are that everything is all in one, and makes mine and my co-workers lives easier

KACE review by Administrator

"Long Time user I have seen the product make great strides."

What do you like best?

Kace is a robust platform for systems management, it allows us to maintain over 500 assets with a small team of people. We have used kace since 2013 and it has definitely improved. The options allow us to be more flexible with our users than a simple WSUS rollout.

What do you dislike?

The agent can become non responsive on clients for "no reason". Maintaining the agents has to be a regular task. Support is challenging to work with, their response time is significantly longer than desirable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The product has met our requirements, It certainly has room for improvement. I feel like the engineering group must have focused on function over form (which i respect) but it is not a modern UI, and we get complaints regarding the help desk from some users. I would implement this again at a different shop, I haven't encountered anything as feature rich that works better, certainly for the price.

Systems management. We deploy Microsoft and all third party patches with this solutions. We also manage our systems inventory and deploy a number of software packages and scripts levearging Kace.

KACE review by Kevin B.
Kevin B.

"Keeping it together with Kace"

What do you like best?

We have been a Kace shop since Dell purchased them years ago. Maybe we like Kace a little too much. The service desk portion which is mostly design for IT can be highly customized. We have ours broken down into 16 different queues now allowing many different departments the flexibility and power of an IT grade helpdesk for their needs. And since they all reside in the same location, workflow is a piece of cake.

What do you dislike?

I can honestly say, there is nothing I dislike about Kace.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dell has recently sold off Kace along with other products. At first, there was a concern. Word around the net was that Kace wasn't going anywhere but it also wasn't really going anywhere. We have recently heard from some of the engineers that there has been a fire so to speak lit under Kace and we can expect to see the same great things down the road with Quest that we had with Dell. Time will tell. If it stays the same, it will work fine for us for years to come.

It is our one-stop-shop for software installs, images, helpdesk tickets, inventory. From an IT standpoint, we have gone from an 80/20 running around campus, putting out fires to the opposite. Now we spend more time in our office using Bomgar to remote IT problems. We get more done with less people. And we have extended our support to students and off-campus as well.

KACE review by Brian S.
Brian S.

"As powerful as you let it be"

What do you like best?

There are a lot of ways to schedule automated tasks. Between scripts, image jobs, software installations, and inventory data, most of our old manual processes have been automated.

What do you dislike?

Key functionality such as agent communication and patch schedules require some tweaking to get working on all platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

KACE takes what about 2-3 different SDA platforms can do and rolls it all into one.

KACE saves us a LOT of time on tasks we used to do manually. It also helps us identify problems with its easy to use reporting module.

KACE review by Administrator

"Very basic but good quality ticket management system"

What do you like best?

I like having the ability to cc others on tickets, to create tickets and manually update the submitter, etc, and attach related tickets.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to allow the attachment of more than one file at a time to a comment/response. Additionally, the links and formatting get a bit wonky since HTML is removed. Lastly, I can't create sorting rules in the ticket lists: I can only sort A-Z or Z-A on one column at a time, rather than establishing an order/hierarchy (e.g. by status and then by modified date).

I am able to filter all requests from sales staff into one location to ensure that I don't miss anything. Additionally, it makes all requests trackable and allows me to report on common trends or issues (in terms of users or common errors/requests).

KACE review by Administrator

"Great product, great support"

What do you like best?

Kace has enabled us to manage updates for all of our users that happen to be spread across the country. Along with this, we can manage all of our inventory without having to see each machine every day.

What do you dislike?

Some features have changed that we do really miss. Other items have been on our "wish list" for quite some time and have not been implemented yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Follow the guides that are available. Look on IT Ninja for others with the same questions and their solutions.

Security was a huge issue for us prior to Kace. It now allows us to manage every computer and server without having to connect to each device to run these updates.

KACE review by Administrator in Libraries
Administrator in Libraries

"Kace is a solid product"

What do you like best?

My favorite part about Kace is how easy it was to deploy and maintain. Before Kace we would have to keep an eye on what machines do and do not have patching software. It was a pain to check if the old product broke randomly, but with Kace coming into our environment that was no longer an issue. We deployed and have over 100 machines running within a day, which was excellent.

What do you dislike?

Creating custom scripts and actions can be troublesome, but the training and how to videos we were able to get everything we needed and more. Once you learn how it is done it is a piece of cake from there.

Our main goal was to make sure windows updates were taken care of in a easy and structured manner. Once we got the product we realized you can update and deploy much more programs with custom scripts. Custom software we use can he pushed out with ease.

KACE review by Charlie S.
Charlie S.

"Kace is powerful but not a breeze to use "

What do you like best?

Kace is very powerful allowing you to manage IT assets, Help Desk, update management, security settings, software deployment, and many other tasks.

What do you dislike?

Some items are difficult to customize and or setup. Training makes this easier, but training is not inexpensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure to sign up for training and implementation if you haven't used Kace before.

Kace is very useful for our ITAM and integrated Help Desk. A single portal for handling multiple tasks is great for our small IT staff.

KACE review by Brayton R.
Brayton R.

"Great product"

What do you like best?

The ticketing system is awesome. very easy to setup and use.

What do you dislike?

can not manage feature updates. this is a must before we can patch with KACE

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this product to anyone. With a bit more development this product will be amazing.

inventory and software distribution. We are able to keep track of where our devices are and how long they haven't checked in .

KACE review by Pierre L.
Pierre L.

"Kace is a powerful tool that we are just starting to harness. "

What do you like best?

Kace has been amazing thus far. We use it to inventory all of our corporate laptops, deploy images to these machines, and verify the state of any given machine at any time.

We are just beginning to leverage this tool and understand how it works.

There is amazing potential for this to make our lives in IT much easier, but the interface and the processes are pretty obscure.

What do you dislike?

The UI needs a lot of work.

It is a complicated piece of hardware/software that required advanced skills and consultation to deploy and operate.

We are signing up for training packages now for the entire team since many of the tools and features are difficult to figure out or configure.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the cost of training, implementation, and maintenance.

This allows us to verify if any given machine has encryption, anti-virus, out of date software, etc.

This allows us to deploy standard images to our machines.

This allows us to manage PCs, Macs, and Linux boxes all in one centralized location.

This allows for inventory tracking

This allows for pushing updates remotely

KACE review by John H.
John H.

"Great solution with tons of options"

What do you like best?

Helpdesk is awesome, great customization options.

What do you dislike?

Software deployment isn't as easy as it could possibly be.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your research, and request a longer than normal trial. Be prepared to spend a lot of time configuring it especially if you plan to use the software deployment.

Easy helpdesk solution for our users and techs, windows updates on schedules for each location that vary in times.

KACE review by Administrator

"KACE has served us well in multiple roles. We use it for inventory Management and Service Desk"

What do you like best?

KACE is pretty robust in the information it provides on workstations if you are able to use the KACE client. Our desktop support staff uses it extensively. KACE may not be the best each function it provides but it is a nice package that performs many functions adequately enough.

What do you dislike?

Lack of support for the mobile client. Techs would like to have a more robust mobile client than is available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not the best of breed in every area but overall is an affordable solution to perform multiple functions.

Inventory management that integrates with our Help desk (which uses Service Desk Product)

KACE review by Administrator

"Excellent Device but Getting Training for It is a Wise Investment"

What do you like best?

Very configurable, high versatility, dependable

What do you dislike?

Steep learning curve - getting the training for setting up and using the device will pay big dividends

Recommendations to others considering the product

You need to keep the Maintenance Contract current, since it interfaces with the company servers to download driver updates. The support has greatly improved over the past several years and is IMHO excellent. Do take the time to purchase a training package - it will greatly aid the user in setting up the device, understanding the various modes for deploying images, and will give you excellent examples of routines, scripts, etc. which the KACE uses.

We use the Kace 2000 to deploy identical images of all machines.

Standardized configurations and installations

Once set up, it can deploy machines with a minimum of intervention

Labor time and money is saved right out of the gate

KACE review by Jacob L.
Jacob L.

"Functional software deployment and SOE imaging solution"

What do you like best?

We use both the K1000 and K2000 appliances within our environment. We use the K2000 for SOE deployment and the K1000 for software deployment and software inventory. Although the K1000 also includes a helpdesk ticketing system, we use one from a different vendor. Both appliances work well and are very efficient with bandwidth as a client is deployed on every machine.

What do you dislike?

Building the image for deployment through the K2000 can be a little tricky and not as easy as deploying through SCCM however the cost of the K2000 appliance is a bit lower.

We replaced our Altiris environment with KAC eand couldn't be happier. Not only did we save money but we also saved time with deployment by automating more than we did before. The K1000 appliance can also work with "Extender" shares in other sites to use as additional distribution points which helps with bandwidth usage.

KACE review by Matthew S.
Matthew S.

"KACE makes our job easier"

What do you like best?

System imaging and automated application installation is substantially easier than other products.

We use both the K1000 and the K2000.

What do you dislike?

The mobile application doesn't include all of the features that I would like as a helpdesk manager.

Multicast imaging of classroom computers reduces hands-on time for my staff. We also use the KACE ticketing systems as our organization's primary helpdesk software.

KACE review by Administrator

"Need to track everything on your network and possibly off? GET IT! "

What do you like best?

For me personally I can run reports on metering software to show proof of use or no use of software along with asset tracking.

What do you dislike?

How you can't run full reports to show actual usage time on software. The information is there when you look at the logs, but no way to make a report unless you want to spend hours entering it manually.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just, give it a try! It's constantly growing.

How often software is used or not used, what items have been installed, and asset tracking.

"KACE"

What do you like best?

We use the K1000 and K2000. I like the Asset management appliance and the Deployment appliance.

What do you dislike?

A handful of items:

The service desk could be a bit beefier

It would be helpful to bring back the original idea from the original KACE team of having multiple vendor hardware drivers available in the deployment device, and not just limit it to the Dell drivers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is perfect for small companies with more than 75 employees and under 5000.

Asset tracking, Servicedesk ticketing system, deployment and imaging.

KACE review by Administrator in Medical Devices
Administrator in Medical Devices

"Kace makes connecting to our network PCs a breeze"

What do you like best?

It is so simple to connect to PCs on the network. The software upgrades are done automatically and the software installs are a breeze. I really like using the Kace appliance. It's made my job a whole lot easier.

What do you dislike?

Sorry, nothing, it works great! I can't say anything bad about the product. It functions just as I need it to and the support has always been very helpful.

Kace makes servicing our client PCs a breeze. it saves everyone time and it's very convenient.

KACE review by Administrator

"Great Service Desk Tools For Anyone"

What do you like best?

The SDA is a great way to deploy windows and required software in a bunch of different ways depending on your needs. The ability for users to download and install software from the SMA provides less stress on our team and allows users more flexibility.The customization of communication emails based on the ticket status or other things allows the users to know exactly what is going thru the whole process.

What do you dislike?

The user interface can be a little deceiving and setting up some features like user downloads in the SMA can be tricky.

The ability for our users to email or visit the web interface to submit service desk requests allows our team to provide a better service to the end user.

KACE review by Jennifer B.
Jennifer B.

"First KACE user from back in the Dell days"

What do you like best?

I like the recent updates that have been added to the systems. Have been able to image fairly well on a regular basis.

What do you dislike?

Getting support on the product is very hard. Reporting function is terrible and so is the label features.

Better imaging time.

Administrator in Higher Education

"The k1000 and k2000 are useful for our organization, with some stumbling steps along the way"

What do you like best?

The k1000 inventory, scripting, and managed installs are a great asset to have for managing systems. Being able to flexibly schedule times, and install software on systems overnight or while users are logged off is great.

Inventory lets us generate reports on systems that have low disk space, or have illicit software installed.

K2000

Driver installs after deployment is a cinch, just download the drivers for the model in question(in the k2000 web console), and it will automatically install the drivers after Windows is installed. Very slick

Scripted installations in the k2000 are useful, and better than imaging in my opinion. Allows you to custom tailor a machine on the fly if need be, by placing packages that need to be on the machine.

What do you dislike?

For the k2000

Not being able to PXE boot on UEFI enabled machines without a boot stick is a pain point. Its a feature that is sorely lacking, even to this day

The k2 team apparently doesn't communicate with dell, because some system models do not get reported the same way as they do from Dell. This messes up driver feeds sometimes, making the k2 think a system model is not the same as what they have on file. It's a relatively easy fix, but one that I shouldn't even have to do.

K1000

They recently dropped jquery support for the UI. This was helpful in making our ticketing system more user friendly for our customers.

No built in remote viewer. There are instructions for using UltraVNC, but we did not like that product, as it can be spotty at best with how well it works

Recommendations to others considering the product

You'll need a decent remoting software, as UltraVNC was not a good product. Test the ticketing system heavily, it is a little bit of a beast to get it up and running. However, if you have someone on your team that knows SQL, you can use the ticketing system for much more. We use it for purchase orders as well, with approvers and multiple tiers of escalation.

I run a school of about 600 devices and about 800 users. I have used almost every facet of the K1000 and k2000 and find it a good all in one solution. Coupled with group policy, and Bomgar for remoting there isn't much else I need to run and maintain the systems in a day to day function.

KACE review by Zach S.
Zach S.

"Kace 1000 and 2000"

What do you like best?

ease of use....easy to setup out of the box. easy to maintain on a daily/weekly basis

What do you dislike?

It just took some getting used to. Some of the imaging was hard to get going, but overall it is effective.

ease of use.

KACE review by User

"Got Efficiency?"

What do you like best?

Crazy amount of automation for MANY devices - smart automation w/ targets via labeling

What do you dislike?

User Downloads "Restrict By Device Label" is highly desired - version 9 can't come soon enough !

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm a systems administrator that has been using the Quest SMA since 2010 and the Quest SDA since 2014. There are many tools available in the marketplace, but these two complement each other and have kept me looking like a superstar for many years now. Seriously, there's no way I would ever do this job again without them. I am looking forward to attending the Kace Konference next year.

Our IT dept is ready for any type of hardware, software, asset audit with KACE.

KACE review by Mike B.
Mike B.

"Kace "

What do you like best?

I like the inventory part of it. Helpdesk seems solid for the most part.

What do you dislike?

Steep learning curve. Their jumpstart training helps, but misses a lot. Upgrading agents sometimes blows out the kace target name. Helpdesk email doesn't support HTML.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vet this product well. Question the sales rep about everything.

Inventory, helpdesk, patching

KACE review by Nick W.
Nick W.

"Long Time Kace Customer"

What do you like best?

The product enhancements relating to what customers are requesting themselves

What do you dislike?

Troubles editing some fields for Ticket Queue, and the new prompt that appears when VNC'ing & RDP'ing to other PC's

Ticket System, Asset Management, Reporting, Patching

KACE review by Lauren D.
Lauren D.

"Automation = Win"

What do you like best?

Kace makes my job easier - patch management.

What do you dislike?

Multicast doesn't work in my envrionment

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go Virtual!

SMA - Software deployments on the fly, asset management and patch management.

SDA - Central virtualized systems deployment w/customizations.

KACE review by Israel P.
Israel P.

"KACE Management"

What do you like best?

Client is dependable. They show on the console just fine once the client is running. The latest version allows to troubleshoot client a lot faster.

What do you dislike?

Console is slow to refresh. Need faster refresh and better printout layout. Characters are too small when printing tickets.

Patching and helpdesk. We use it to patch our Dell computers. It seems to be possible to patch Macs but we have not attempted yet.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Great Change from our old system "

What do you like best?

This tool is working well on our campus. It is nice to take a record of all comments and work that has been done on a service ticket.

What do you dislike?

The color schemes and not being able to use HTML to create the colors we need to match our campus colors.

It is a great accountability tool, imaging tool, deploying updates easier and saving us time.

KACE review by Administrator in Defense & Space
Administrator in Defense & Space

"Time Saver for security patches"

What do you like best?

I like how the KACE product is a very user friendly platform.

What do you dislike?

I do not have any major complaints, the color change in the previous release was bad but will be fixed soon when we upgrade to the latest release.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just do it, it is worth the cost in time savings.

Easy to use to push scripts for security vulnerabilities.

KACE review by Administrator

"More Powerful Then I Thought"

What do you like best?

The ability to distribute software, service desk options, inventory management

What do you dislike?

I found the integration with Active Directory to be cumbersome and managing the imports tools to be less than intuitive. We have found that the box has vulnerabilities that our scans find. The only way to fix has been to disable some features.

Software distribution, inventory management and service desk

KACE review by Administrator in E-Learning
Administrator in E-Learning

"KACE is an all-in-one solution. "

What do you like best?

We use it for our ticketing system, advertising software to our users, knowledge base, pushing Windows patches. It’s great.

What do you dislike?

Some of the built-in fields for assets are not set up in a way we’d like to use, but we can’t hide them.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It’s nice to have all these functions within the same place. No ticketing system or software is 100% perfect for everyone but it’s one of the better ones I’ve used.

A lot of our users don’t have admin access so we use the ability to package software in Kace to provide updated software from there.

KACE review by Ritchie S.
Ritchie S.

"Dell KACE K1000"

What do you like best?

With the latest updates the system is easier to use to maintain patch management and asset management. The service desk is very useful also.

What do you dislike?

The one issue I have is finding the time to learn how to deploy software using the system. It doesn't seem very intuitive at times.

Patch management has become much better with the K1000 and the servicedesk feature is great for us.

KACE review by Administrator

"Works like two digital humans..."

What do you like best?

The ability to manage thousands of machines and have a detailed report to provide our clients on the status of their equipment.

What do you dislike?

Multiple times we have had to repair the database. Each after an upgrade to the KACE server.

Touch multiple machines in little time with fewer human resources tied up.

KACE review by Eric M.
Eric M.

"Decent Product Plagued by Lack of Innovation"

What do you like best?

KACE is a feature rich and reliable product

What do you dislike?

The lake of innovation and security has made KACE less appealing over the last several years.

Asset inventory, patching, software deployment, reporting. The major benefit of the product has been it's ability to keep all of our systems patched and under compliance.

KACE review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"Simplified management for smart people"

What do you like best?

The ease of use and flexibility of the platform.

What do you dislike?

While not difficult, the learning process with a trainer is really needed. The KACE units are so powerful you don't realize all that they can do until you start. Then your mind is blown :)

Imaging, Inventory (Software and Hardware), health.

"Kace Review"

What do you like best?

Users can request applications to be installed through the software that will be downloaded automatically... IE: Office 2016.

Easy for the end user to use.

What do you dislike?

Not easy to filter tickets to find a specific one not assigned to yourself or if you don't know who it is assigned to. Used other work order systems that are easier for the tech, however not for the end user.

As a computer tech, this software helps organize the tickets that come in.

"kace"

What do you like best?

kace works really well with regards to helping us do our hardware inventory. it allows us to see at a touch of a button what kind of machines we have, how many we have of them, and how they are being used. it allows us to properly plan our years budget as well

What do you dislike?

the main thing that i dislike about dell lace is that sometimes to get some basic information out of the box a lot of steps are actually required. also when we want tpush out software to all the machines the process can take quite a while to finish and it doesnt allow us to move on to the next task.

the business problem that we are solving by using dell kace hardware is it allows us to manipulate all the machines that we have in inventory without having to visit every single machine. this makes it a lot easier to push out new versions of software budles that we use or to install windows updates and keep all the machines up to date

KACE review by Administrator

"A nice appliance that fulfills all our needs"

What do you like best?

Patching, software deployment, inventory all in one. Since we are a Dell shop, I like that warranty information and service tags are all available for quick reference.

What do you dislike?

There are some security features that are not explained how to use them or what they are for. It is not user friendly in that respect.

Before KACE, we were using WSUS, Altiris, and a few other products that are all combined in the K1000. We can assign different user security types to accomplish different work tasks.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

KACE is the central hub for all things IT in our organization, whether it be inventory, software deployment or help desk.

What do you dislike?

I hope they keep up with the latest in Windows patching, including feature updates.

Software Deployment, Image Deployment, Licensing Management, Help Desk Functions, Asset inventory

KACE review by Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education
Administrator in Primary/Secondary Education

"Kace is a game changer"

What do you like best?

Great all in one IT product allowing awesome back end tools and simple end user views.

What do you dislike?

Lack of true customization on both the site but specifically on the mobile app.

We are able to monitor systems and deploy necessary updates as needed while also providing a user friendly ticketing system.

"Kace Review"

What do you like best?

The ability for end users to submit tickets to the help desk has made our jobs as IT professionals much more efficient.

What do you dislike?

Alot of user end up creating new tickets when responding to help desk correspondence

Individual users have daily issues and KACE helps us to resolve their issues quickly so they can get back to working efficiently and effectively. One of the benefits we have realized is using the user state capture making computer upgrades much more convenient.

"K2000"

What do you like best?

The ability to deploy to multiple systems and manufactures. Including the ability to customize the deployments and include drivers.

What do you dislike?

Some of the network setup can be complicated.

We are solving the problems of manually installing and setting up our devices.

KACE review by User

"the K1000 is moderately useful, the K2000 has yet to be used because of problems"

What do you like best?

there is a active development team improving and supporting the product

What do you dislike?

for our limited application using the K1000 is alot of work and we haven't been able to really get the K2000 to work for us yet; we are still using a Fog Project server for our imaging needs because it is easier to use

Recommendations to others considering the product

none

our K1000 manages a fleet of remotely deployed netbooks which allow our programmers ot virtually deploy to projects across the country

KACE review by Esther C.
Esther C.

"KACE"

What do you like best?

I really like how I can manage all my assets and deploy scripts from one database.

What do you dislike?

They changed the way it's laid out and operates when Dell sold KACE 1000.

I realized that alot of my deployments will no longer work with KACE.

"KACE"

What do you like best?

easy to use, and then is easy to teach about this product

What do you dislike?

not active directory friendly, it will be good if the product can talk to MS-active directory

Recommendations to others considering the product

easy to use

patching and deploying

"Patch Management"

What do you like best?

That we can schedule when to detect and deploy Microsoft patches.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes updates run at times other than their scheduled times.

Solving security issues with making sure patches are installed weekly.

KACE review by Administrator

"Great product that helps control the network environment."

What do you like best?

Ability to push software installs across the network and the ability to inventory computers.

What do you dislike?

Things I dislike are the inability to sort or filter certain keywords in a simple way to find past solutions using the help desk.

We can fix many issues using less man power and time. We have benefited by having a working system that controls so much without having to staff so many people.

KACE review by Joseph B.
Joseph B.

"Support 80%"

What do you like best?

Software distribution and imaging. We use k1 and k2.

What do you dislike?

Wol tech. Barely works and needs AMT integration.

We do mostly software distribution and quick fixes.

KACE review by Administrator in Law Practice
Administrator in Law Practice

"Great tool for managing systems"

What do you like best?

Device inventory, patch management and scripting

What do you dislike?

Instructions are not always clear or easily accessible

Application deployments and asset management

KACE review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"K2000"

What do you like best?

I love being able to manage and automate right from my virtual machine to hundreds of locations.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the lack of knowledge and/or solutions.

N/A.

"KACE review"

What do you like best?

being able to push images to new computers and have it ready to deploy once completed

What do you dislike?

having newer hardware not quite compatible since there might be a delay when drivers have been updated to KACE.

deploying out PCs quickly to staff. Having the PCs ready for the new users right away.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Good overall device management"

What do you like best?

The flexibility provided by the service desk rules and custom inventory options combined with scripting abilities.

What do you dislike?

The support for macOS isn't great and could use a lot more support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Having someone with MySQL experience is a huge plus to get the most out of KACE.

Patching, Windows Updates, software deployment, Helpdesk.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Good product for certain things"

What do you like best?

The service desk feature and inventory feature.

What do you dislike?

The patching side can be difficult and isn't always easy to know why it failed.

3rd party patching, inventory, and service desk.

KACE review by Steven D.
Steven D.

"Solid Service Desk Software"

What do you like best?

User Interface

Help Desk Ticketing

Asset Managment

What do you dislike?

There is nothing about this product that I dislike.

Software & Hardware Inventory

Disk Imaging

Software Distribution

Patch Management & Deployment

Service Desk

Enterprise Mobility Management

KACE review by Administrator

"Kace SMA and SDA Makes my Job easier."

What do you like best?

I am able to do my job easier without having to touch and every single machine.

What do you dislike?

There is not much to dislike. This product does our help desk tickets, asset inventory. and Software deployments. This is any awesome product.

pushing Software with ease.

KACE review by Administrator

"Positive impact on our environment "

What do you like best?

Kace Has allowed our tier 1 support to close out calls in place of opening support tickets. This has allowed for more timely support

What do you dislike?

There is nothing negative we have experienced.

Time it would take to solve tier 1 issues

KACE review by Consultant

"Outstanding solution"

What do you like best?

KACE is outstanding solution, useful, simple and quick to learn about. KACE covers all the requirements you would need to manage your systems.

What do you dislike?

entry level servicedesk and Linux support few distribution

software inventory, distribuition, remote site management.

KACE review by User in Primary/Secondary Education
User in Primary/Secondary Education

"I love using kace for ticketing needs"

What do you like best?

It’s a very simple program to user for an end user.

What do you dislike?

I currently do not have any complaints about kace.

We are able to submit and keep track of our work orders

"Ease of use"

What do you like best?

Eliminates the need for micro managing updates.

What do you dislike?

Not enough customization on the look and feel/branding.

Secure way to push software without going to each machine.

KACE review by User in Computer Software

"gets the job done"

What do you like best?

automatic updates to clients, managed software distribution

What do you dislike?

annoying popups, automatic reboots on clients

managed updates and automation

Learning about KACE?

* We monitor all KACE reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.