3.9

Kalo is a freelancer management platform that empowers the world’s most creative companies to manage and scale their freelance workforce.

Work for Kalo?

Learning about Kalo?

Compare Kalo to Similar Solutions

Kalo Reviews

Ask Kalo a Question
Showing 37 Kalo reviews
Kalo review by Stacy T.
Stacy T.

"Kalo is the Perfect Tool for Managing Freelancers and Payments"

What do you like best?

It's so easy to navigate. It's not overly complicated, and freelancers tell us all the time how easy it is. I really don't have a lot of negative things to say about Kalo. Everyone has really good things to say about Kalo.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes things change with the layout in Kalo, like they're doing updates or changes. And we don't get notifications of that. But it's still easy to figure out. It's also very intuitive for our freelancers and contractors to use. They tell us how easy it is to set up, and this really matters. We haven't had any issues with people who can't figure it out. It's been a solution to save our company time and money, and I would recommend it to anyone who needs to make payments and have a better process for managing their workflow. I've used many other systems in this job and other jobs, and it's definitely the best one.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. It's low risk and low cost.

We now save money because Kalo has low overhead. And it helps keep us organized and on track. Things take seconds in Kalo, so I love the simplicity.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Kalo
Kalo review by Monchette G.
Monchette G.

"Saves hours of tedious weekly work"

What do you like best?

The ability to assign tasks, track progress, generate invoices, and pay freelancers seamlessly in Kalo has saved me hours of work every week. I appreciate how much easier it is to onboard new freelancers with their onboarding templates, especially with the Adobe Sign integration. Overall very happy with the product; it's well worth the cost for the time and hassle it saves.

What do you dislike?

I would appreciate the ability to create a project designed to accept pitches from writers to streamline our editorial process even further. I also wish it were easier to mark a default task rate for freelancers, but these are small concerns in the grand scheme of how much of a time-saver Kalo is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take advantage of the Docusign/Adobe Sign integration to "level up" your Kalo experience. Really streamlines the onboarding process even more for new freelancers.

I manage a team of over 20 freelance writers and an editor to produce 300+ articles for my company's blog each year. Kalo has replaced the very manual process of assigning articles via email and tracking them via spreadsheet.

What Freelance Management Platforms solution do you use?

Kalo review by Scott S.
Scott S.

"Kalo conveniently centralizes my assignment and invoicing process."

What do you like best?

I like the user-intuitive interface, as well as how Kalo serves as a central hub for task management. A huge plus is the accessible support staff. I've always been impressed with how courteous and helpful people can be when I have a question or a difficult issue regarding a payment or a technical bug.

What do you dislike?

The different design iterations, though subtle, can introduce quirks and throw off an established routine, but not such that adjustment is difficult or protracted. Platform organization can sometimes be difficult to track as well. I like consistency, personally.

It has helped me ensure that my writers and producers are paid promptly after completing a project, which keeps them happy and productive. It has also enabled me to easily track production budgets against executed projects in a given span of time.

Kalo review by Nicole L.
Nicole L.

"Kalo Has Made Freelance Management A Breeze"

What do you like best?

I like that I can assign tasks, view progress, and pay freelancers all in one place. It saves a lot of time that would be spent simply tracking projects. I particularly like that I get email notifications when a freelancer has changed the status of a task.

What do you dislike?

One issue that I have with Kalo is that it's not possible to complete a task assigned by another project manager. I would also very much like to see a desktop app so that we could receive real-time notifications.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Kalo will 100% simplify your freelance management, especially if you're currently dealing with a ton of Google docs and email! The ability to track not only what tasks have or haven't been completed in a project, but which ones have been paid, is so helpful. Freelancers often complain of having a hard time getting payments from their employers, but Kalo has made this a non-issue for us.

We've streamlined the assignment and payment processes. Kalo has saved us countless hours of work.

Kalo review by Administrator

"Paying Freelancers Made Easy"

What do you like best?

This has eliminated much of the middle man work (approvals, emails, back-and-forth between departments) that we used to experience when processing payments. Very tedious work that opened us up to mistakes and missed payments. Much of that has disappeared. The work comes in, I approve, money is sent out. It's a lovely process that keeps me from having to track down missing invoices and unpaid balances. The support team was very patient with us too. We had a lot of questions, and doubts, if I'm being totally honest. However, they took the time to explain everything to us.

What do you dislike?

I haven't used this product long enough to find any glaring dislikes. The initial set up has taken some time, and there was a little bit of a learning curve when first implementing the product. However, that was easily overcome after spending some time with the dashboard. Our support team has been very helpful too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can't confidently make any recommendations. However, if you're considering making the switch, it's worth the try.

We're paying our freelancers quickly and on time. The main issue with a freelancer is keeping them engaged with a steady stream of work and ensuring that their payments arrive on time. Kalo has greatly improved their work experience, and by extension, mine as well.

Kalo review by Michelle C.
Michelle C.

"Kalo flow. "

What do you like best?

Easy for the requesters; fast payment for the freelancers. risk-mitigating and efficient electronically templatized signing of contracts.

What do you dislike?

The Docusign API integration requires client admin to manually share and administer template updates in the Docusign integration. Suggestion might be empower Kalo to receive new templates and Kalo updates the templates in Docusign.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make as much use of the templates in the task flow and that the tasks and templates are as specific as possible to the particular team's needs. So that the only Docusigned document is the master agreement.

Legal team resource efficiency. Using Kalo has helped our legal team scale for efficiency by not having to manually or individually process each freelancer agreement.

Kalo review by Administrator

"Increased functionality is great, working out kinks"

What do you like best?

Kalo is great if you're looking to fully project manage and invoice within the same platform. Fairly user-friendly and adaptable to your needs. For our purposes, there are a lot of bells and whistles but I can see for a larger institution with many arms, it would expand to fit your needs well. Great customer service and support, the team is very professional, friendly, and responsive.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the extra functionality is not as thought through and requires some tweaking to get right (i.e. surfacing important info at the outset, navigating between freelancer profile to invoice to task in a clean and seamless way, toggling approval process, etc.) Kalo is constantly updating and looking for feedback, though, and it feels like a collaborative process.

Freelancers can have greater transparency and see where they're at in the pay process, they can easily track their invoiced and paid work, and they can go directly to Kalo with any tech issues. Instead of the work being done on the office end for onboarding, Kalo cuts a lot of that out (though still requires careful setup) and makes it more streamlined on our and the freelancer's end.

Kalo review by Danielle B.
Danielle B.

"Great but still some kinks to iron out"

What do you like best?

I like that Kalo makes it easy for me to onboard freelancers and track my budgets for my projects. Overall I'm very happy with the service.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes my freelancers have had issues onboarding or getting paid in the system and it ends up being a bit of a headache on both sides.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I think its a great service overall! Would love to a more intuitive interface and an email update when changes are made in process.

Contracting freelancers for video production. Overall its been helpful in this way.

Kalo review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Kalo makes freelancer management hassle-free"

What do you like best?

Kalo makes it so much easier to store our freelancer information and even helps with the payouts so it's one less thing we have to do. We can log each freelancer's specialty, assign tasks, have them sign contracts, etc all within the program.

What do you dislike?

We have to keep funding our "wallet" which is way less convenient than we originally were pitched.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a better feel for your payment structure in the program, but otherwise, it was a seamless transition!

We used to have complicated spreadsheets tracking contact information, payment schedules, freelancer rates etc. That's all gone now thanks to Kalo. Things are much more organized. Plus, everything is accessible to our management team, finance department, and other employees that require access.

Kalo review by Administrator

"Great for our small business"

What do you like best?

Kalo makes it easy to track our growing list of freelancers and their individual skillsets. It's all online so we can access it whenever/wherever and continue running our business.

What do you dislike?

I wish we didn't have to fund the Kalo Wallet every time we wanted to pay on demand. We hit a certain threshold that makes the funding a little more difficult than we were led to believe.

We were struggling to maintain an accurate list of our contacts. Managing a large spreadsheet with rates, specialties, past/current/future assignments, etc. was a pain. And it restricted access that our management, legal, and finance teams needed. Kalo makes it easy and provides additional benefits/fields we didn't even know we needed.

Kalo review by Lindsey G.
Lindsey G.

"Producer"

What do you like best?

It streamlines freelance payments by project and tasks. I appreciate how it is organized and how I can track things very easily.

What do you dislike?

If you make a mistake, it feels confusing and hard to backtrack or delete tasks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely! For any production or business owner, I think this software is amazing.

I'm looking to pay freelancers, extras, talents, etc. It is helpful because I've been able to build a long list of freelancers and can easily go back to see what projects I hired them fore, and what their rates were.

Kalo review by Administrator in Hospitality
Administrator in Hospitality

"Kalo review"

What do you like best?

I really enjoy the look of the platform and how intuitive it is. The platform itself is very clean looking and easy to use, from both an administrative view and as a user. I've also work with the support team several times and they have always been quick to answer any questions that I or any users have and they are always extremely helpful!

What do you dislike?

There is very little differentiation between pages; they all tend to look the same and often it can be hard to keep track whether you've actually changed pages or not.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's an extremely easy to use platform and is very easy for companies to keep track of freelance work. It is intuitive and user friendly and the support team is excellent!

N/A

Kalo review by Trevor M.
Trevor M.

"Simple and fast way to pay contractors"

What do you like best?

I love that Kalo is so easy to use. It's easy to get new contractors onboarded, as well as assign them work and get them paid. Saves me a lot of headaches!

What do you dislike?

I've gotten use to it now, I'm not sure why the icons are not labeled. For a while it was difficult to navigate the site.

It is made assigning work to contractors such an easier process, that I am getting to spend my time on more urgent (and enjoyable) tasks.

Kalo review by Executive Sponsor
Executive Sponsor

"Kalo organized and streamlined our freelancer management"

What do you like best?

It's very simple to use and we could customize our ecosystem to fit our organization's needs. The star reviews are incredibly helpful so we know who to hire based on their competencies and past project performance. We went from the stone age in terms of our freelancer management to having transparency and a super straightforward system at our fingertips.

What do you dislike?

The hardest part is ensuring that team members utilize the reviews. It's easy to slip back into old habits of asking colleagues for recommendations (or sending emails) instead of using the system. But overall we've had pretty solid adoption.

Ability to easily identify the best candidates for freelance positions by easily searching for hard-to-find skill sets, assess how they have performed on previous projects within our organization, and understand their availability. We've gone from spending hours identifying people (often poor fits for the role), to spending just a few minutes in Kalo. Moreover, we don't hire poorly performing freelancers anymore, thanks to the reviews. That saves us thousands of dollars each year.

"Kalo is great"

What do you like best?

Kalo is a great platform as it is attractive, quick to load (click response is fast) despite holding so much information it never slows down! The little emoji faces are cool too, their different personalities helps visually to keep track of everything.

What do you dislike?

While Kalo is pretty, a lot of the pages within Kalo look the exact same. What this means is that sometimes it is hard to pick up where I left off, if I leave my computer for a few minutes in the middle of a task. However this is only a slight issue and more of an aesthetic thing.

Personally, it is so efficient that it makes my work more simple.

Kalo review by User

"Affordable Platform That's Still Working Out Some Issues"

What do you like best?

Invoicing freelancers is easy and well-organized. I also enjoy using their project management system to assign and track tasks.

What do you dislike?

There are many aspects, like account funding and payments, that are completely disjointed from the platform. They need a better way to integrate account funding on the front-end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you constantly keep in touch with reps to get an accurate overview of your account activity if you are using Kalo to pay your freelancers.

Maintaining a database of all of our freelancer projects and invoices has been a lifesaver for us. Before Kalo, we relied on email to get the job done.

Kalo review by User in Internet

"Super easy to use platform and easy to set up, it integrates with AdobeSign which is a huge plus."

What do you like best?

User experience - Kalo is super easy to use, our hiring managers love. Clear instructions on how to onboard a freelancer, feedback was incredibly positive from them and the freelancers after rollout.

What do you dislike?

I can't say there is anything we dislike. We integrate Kalo today with our resource management tool and we would like to see a more deep integration there so we can compare freelance resource available versus full time resource.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It really is the perfect integration for so many of our business needs. I would recommend for businesses of all sizes. Like I previously said, the user experience is really what sets this product apart from others. Because the product is so easy to use, we're able to use it very wildly within the company. The clear instructions and feedback from freelancers were incredibly positive and we plan to continue using the product!

The biggest bonus is the reporting feature, it's loved by everyone from our Head of Marketing to CFO as we can now provide a consolidated dashboard showing freelancer spend by budget, cost code, business unit. All the areas we had no visibility over today. Also the tax feature saved our Finance team in Q4 last year as Kalo handled all 1099 submissions to the IRS.

Kalo review by Katy B.
Katy B.

"Easy experience"

What do you like best?

Onboarding is fast and easy, and once a freelancer onboards, I can create an invoice and pay them immediately.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have any complaints. There are more fields than I need, but I can avoid filling them out.

Freelancers don't have to send invoices (in varying formats that can be hard to read). Everything is transparent and freelancer can track payment.

Kalo review by Jon M.
Jon M.

"Kalo for managing freelance writers"

What do you like best?

That Kalo automates payment.

That Kalo allows me to easily see who is currently working on something, and who is free.

That Kalo allows me to see who has been paid.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the UX is confusing--would like to be able to search by name and task from the same screen.

Kalo has vastly simplified my freelance payment process, freeing many man hours of work that would otherwise be taken up with payroll.

Kalo review by Sarah G.
Sarah G.

"Bad experience for markets outside US"

What do you like best?

Flow of approvals for freelancers. Easier payments

What do you dislike?

In order to add a freelancer in Kalo, there are lots of oblogatory information to fill that is only available for US freelancers. There should be a way to be more fluid and add information related to local markets. It is very difficult to add a new non-US freelancer in Kalo.

It is easier to make a payment, and faster as well.

Kalo review by Administrator

"Great tool and great customer service"

What do you like best?

I like how reliable this service is. Anytime I have had a question I got an answer or a solution in less than 24 hours.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of required steps that should be optional when starting a new task. I also don't like the the the amount of steps you have to go through to pay an invoice. It would be great if we can pay freelancers faster. Same day option would be ideal, even for a fee.

We pay some of our freelancers and it helps me to keep track of payments and submission dates.

Kalo review by Administrator

"Great service and customer support"

What do you like best?

The team at Kalo was extremely helpful and got me set up quickly. They replied to all my inquiries within hours and solved all my issues within a day. They were also a great help to get freelancers set up quickly.

What do you dislike?

I find the new interface slightly confusing. It's harder to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Strongly recommend if processing payment is a struggle in your company

Our company payment process became extremely complicated. Using Kalo allowed me to pay my freelancers quickly and effortlessly. This help to salvage many relationships and saved us a lot of time.

"Steadily improving"

What do you like best?

Kalo's design and layout are clean like mobile but eminently usable on desktop. It's entirely possible to find exactly what you need without getting lost in options you'll never use

What do you dislike?

...assuming what you need exists. Kalo still lacks some features for ease of use, along the lines of templating and fast key/mouse form fill

I love how easy it is to see a freelancer's work history in completion

Kalo review by Kimberley M.
Kimberley M.

"Kalo takes the guesswork out of the working relationship"

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to assign a task and follow through on it until invoicing.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I don't like about Kalo.

Assigning writers to writing assignments. Assigning designers to illustrations. And following through on payment.

Kalo review by Administrator in Internet
Administrator in Internet

"Great experience"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use for candidates to submit their expenses and invoices to get paid on time. This is really helpful for the company.

What do you dislike?

The sign-up process isn't very easy. It sometimes takes the candidates 1-3 weeks just to sign up because of issues concerning their regions not being displayed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

NA

The ease of being paid on time and submitting their expenses and invoices

Kalo review by User

"Kalo Is Great for Managing Freelancers "

What do you like best?

I love the sorting functions on Kalo. It makes it easy to search for specific assignments very easily.

What do you dislike?

I wish the onboarding process was smoother and easier.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! Easy to use.

It's a very effective way of managing freelance assignments and seeing how much budget we have left for the quarter.

Kalo review by Administrator

"Kalo makes the freelancer-writer relationship easier"

What do you like best?

The ease of creating assignments and the seamless execution of invoices for both editor and writer.

What do you dislike?

The rating system as a component for teams who don't need it. Could be opt in.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start the process of integrating invoices early.

Streamlining the freelancer process. Onboarding and assignment documentation is confined to one space. No need to interact with payroll.

Kalo review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Kalo is a project management and payment tool for freelancers and blogs"

What do you like best?

Generating invoices to all of our freelance writers

What do you dislike?

Nothing at the moment. I use Kalo solely for invoicing and content management.

Content management of our writers and blog content; paying freelancers

All of our content / editorial is in 1 place for everyone to see

Kalo review by Marlana M.
Marlana M.

"I write digital marketing content. "

What do you like best?

It’s very easy to submit invoices, and payments are fast.

What do you dislike?

Thers is nothing to note at the moment.

It makes it quick and easy to assign and pay freelance writers.

Kalo review by Administrator

"quick, efficient and user friendly"

What do you like best?

The customer support team are amazing. They are quick to respond back and provide detailed guidance.

What do you dislike?

Kalo at times glitches which causes disturbance to the way we operate but then again the support team are quick to jump in and solve the issue.

A single platform to gather all our freelancers and pay them through. This has made our finance teams life way better.

Kalo review by Administrator

"Gets the job done but requires patience"

What do you like best?

The ease of organization to keep track of payments and to review past payments

What do you dislike?

Frequently my freelancers have had to contact me with questions regarding their payments. Many of them have had to spend lots of time on the phone with Kalo to receive and track their payments which reflects poorly on our company.

It's nice to have a constantly updated list of new freelancers.

Kalo review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"Hugely problematic glitching in profile creation AND support page."

What do you like best?

Looks pretty. I was excited to use it before it totally glitched out.

What do you dislike?

Functionally useless! Software is hugely problematic to the point that I was unable to complete the profile creation process, and the support page provided on the website crashed my browsers. I mean ALL of my browsers. I tried Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.

None! Product unusable!

Kalo review by Administrator

"Great resource for managing freelancers"

What do you like best?

Having Kalo keep track of freelance payments

What do you dislike?

The difficulty in setting up payment transfers initially

Ease of freelance management and budgeting

Kalo review by Administrator

"Consistent and great customer service "

What do you like best?

I appreciate how I can search for freelancers or projects based on project ID.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how I can't pause payment myself as the project owner.

Getting freelancers paid on time and allowing them to track their payments.

Kalo review by User

"Kalo needs to work on their onboarding. "

What do you like best?

Kalo is good at getting freelancers paid on time.

What do you dislike?

Kalo is nearly impossible to get freelancers signed up on.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be sure you are ready for a headache when onboarding new freelancers.

We're able to pay freelancers.

Kalo review by Administrator in Human Resources
Administrator in Human Resources

"Excellent partners, but finding it hard to cater to growth."

What do you like best?

Kalo is a simple solution with an amazing team happy to mold the simplicity to specific needs.

What do you dislike?

The functionality is still a little limited.

Fast and simple payment solution to our vendors.

Kalo review by Administrator

"Great but needs improvement"

What do you like best?

I like Kalo because it helps us approve freelancer invoices much faster.

What do you dislike?

There is no notification when we don't have enough money in the account

We invoice expenses for freelancers for Airbnb

Learn more about Kalo

Kalo Videos

Learning about Kalo?

* We monitor all Kalo reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.

Compare Kalo to Similar Solutions