Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Kaltura

4.0
(12 reviews)

Kaltura's mission is to power any video experience.

Work for Kaltura?

Learning about Kaitura?

Kaltura Reviews

Showing 12 Kaitura reviews
Kaitura review by Samuel C.
Samuel C.

"Very user friendly!"

What do you like best?

I really like how simple it is to use Kaltura Capture. You open it, select your source, and click record! It's that simple. The interface is nice and simple and it's easy to select one or multiple video sources, such as monitors or webcams. Also, the quality is great. If file size is a concern, you can downgrade the quality of the video and audio in the settings easily.

What do you dislike?

It is really annoying that Kaltura Capture defaults to start every time I boot my PC. There is not a simple way to change this setting. I had to go to my windows boot menu to change this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of the nice things about Kaltura is that you can capture multiple screens at one time. The one thing that you need to be aware of, however, is that all of the screens are recording simultaneously for the duration of the video. So, you can't switch back and forth between screens. This is not necessarily a deal breaker by any means, just something to be aware of as you are making videos.

I am able to create presentations quickly and easily and then upload them to a shared drive automatically. While platforms like Zoom can accomplish this as well, Kaltura pairs nicely with other applications, like MediaSpace to quickly and automatically upload content into a third party platform. When working across the country with multiple sites, this is extremely helpful to communicate to many people, especially when they're working remotely.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Kaltura
Kaitura review by Amarilis Virginia H.
Amarilis Virginia H.

"Practical way and efficient to boost your company multimedia presence"

What do you like best?

The interface it's clean and very easy intuitive to use for most users.

Allows for ease when organizing and developing a narrated presentation.

It alllows you upload images and take screenshots.

The video quality was excellent and the ability to set up pages in Canvas was a plus.

It's a open source video platform provider which is good because it has support of a great community.

Another solution to host videos like Youtube, Vimeo.

The upload process are straightforward and easy to implement into most organizations.

Their customer support service is responsive and on time.

What do you dislike?

To play Kaltura videos you need have Flash on your system which it's very insecure due to flash many vulnerabilities.

Making modifications to the Moodle plugin is extremely difficult, you require technical programming skills.

For me was a little overpriced as some other video creation products which offer a free version or a longer trial period

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it's very simple and easy to setup and to use, they have helpful video tutorials for new users, the offer the ability for users to changes playback modes with videos with slide presentations and webcam lectures. I couldn't ask for more.

Kaltura is a good option for companies looking to host videos but is not comfortable using Vimeo or YouTube. This software gives you the power and control of many aspects important to hosting videos.

What Video CMS solution do you use?

Kaitura review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Perfect"

What do you like best?

I very much enjoy using Kaltura. I use Kaltura as a part of Canvas for online teaching. I especially like being to capture my screen, and use the drawing too, to present information to students. I think it is easy and fun to use and allows me to connect with my students. It is important that the students see my face and hear me as I am giving demos of how to use the online course. I have no complaints and wish I had access to this software for all of my classes.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that I can think of is to make the "pause" and "resume" buttons a bit easier to remember. In the moment of a presentation, I often forget how to pause the video and end up having to restart from the beginning. I think some basic editing could be very helpful--light cropping to get rid of "dead" time. Otherwise, I have no complaints and feel that the software serves it purpose. Perhaps a video on presentation techniques would serve the Kaltura community. Sometimes I wonder, "what makes a very effective video?"

I am able to teach online and make the class a more interactive experience. While it can be stressful to record oneself and re-record for best results, it is ultimately a good challenge and a good way to gain public speaking skills.

Kaitura review by John M.
John M.

"It's our institution's video repository"

What do you like best?

It integrates nicely with our Blackboard LMS. For me, as an admin, there's a lot functionality to repair and replace videos, add additional materials, and re-assign ownership as needed.

What do you dislike?

It's not really a "dislike," but the editing function is somewhat kludgy. If you're used to working with YouTube's editing option, it'll seem less intuitive and less features. Not a terribly bad thing because of it's simplicity, but I've found myself downloading the source file, fixing it in a Non-Linear Editor such as Final Cut Pro X and replacing the asset video on occasion.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is useful as an in-house solution for a video repository. For educators, it's also trying to move into the lecture capture space. It also has an option to add quizzes into the video plus auditing tools to view number of views and viewers.

A secure location where we can mange rights issues and maintain privacy of individuals. It authenticates using our LDAP servers and Bb's credentials. Having all our instructional videos on one location and under control of the university is also nice.

Kaitura review by User

"Great learning tool, works well!"

What do you like best?

One of my favorite things about Kaltura is that it allows me to show my screen to the audience as I am talking. In some cases, I've used this to narrate slideshows, but I've also used it to give students a "tour" of an online course or show them how to use databases to search for peer-reviewed journal articles for class use.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much that I dislike about Kaltura. It works really well for my purposes, so there isn't anything specific that I dislike or would warn people about as of yet.

I use Kaltura primarily to make videos for the students in my classes. As I mentioned in response to an earlier question about what I like about it, I have used Kaltura to make videos for a variety of functions, all of which have been easy to make. Kaltura allows me to have a virtual presence in my online classes so that the students have a sense of proximity to me despite not seeing me in a face-to-face classroom setting. This is a very important advantage of the software for me.

Kaitura review by User in Higher Education

"Prety Good Enterprise Video Platform, But Need UX Overhaul"

What do you like best?

- My campus can have it's own personal YouTube while adhering to FERPA regulations.

- Integrated with LMSs

- Now has its own captioning system

- Finally has a way to easily share publishing rights to me with various people

What do you dislike?

- The UI, in both the web version and its LMS integration (we use Blackboard Learn), is clunky and at times confusing. It recently updated, but it could still use some polishing. Overall, a UX overhaul is needed.

Video hosting. Since it integrates with our LMS, we're able to incorporate the system into course work, which is huge. It's especially good for my fine arts college, as it's opened new possibilities for online performing arts education.

Kaitura review by User

"Kaltura works great for Distance Education"

What do you like best?

Kaltura is a great storage solution for our Distance Learning Program. We are able to store the recordings with easy access for the enrolled students. The analytics are very helpful.

What do you dislike?

Searching for specific videos is sometimes troublesome, as well as keeping the players organized and up to date.

Recommendations to others considering the product

none

Using Kaltura with MediaSpace makes access to the live course lectures as well as archived lectures easy for distance students. It is a one-stop place for access to what they need for their course(s).

Kaitura review by Christopher C.
Christopher C.

"Decent flexible media hosting solution"

What do you like best?

The flexibility to provide various mediaspace sites ad well as integrate into many LMS products has been very valuable to us.

What do you dislike?

Support can be a bit challenging at times, as they are based in Israel, meaning responses to tickets usually come in during non business hours here.

Storege and playback of a vast library of multimedia content in a secure environment has been very beneficial.

Kaitura review by Lacy H.
Lacy H.

"Kaltura"

What do you like best?

I like that Kaltura is user friendly and gives the power to create and edit video in one program, in real time. Not many other programs have that ability

What do you dislike?

It’s a bit expensive but is overall worth it.

Being able to record, edit and upload video in real time allows for good use of time otherwise

Kaitura review by Administrator

"Works fine, sometimes just a bit clunkier than it needs to be"

What do you like best?

Video quizzing is really a neat functionality.

What do you dislike?

I wish the admin panel was a little easier to go through. It is hard to always find what I need to help people.

Video software for LMS

Kaitura review by Consultant in Higher Education
Consultant in Higher Education

"Kaltura the Student Friendly Digital Recorder"

What do you like best?

The app is easy to use, the interface is very friendly.

What do you dislike?

The extension download is required, so if you are using from a new pc it might take an additional step or two.

Kaltura is good for having an easy screen sharing recording to be done with the same well known applications/tools already being used on my computer.

Kaitura review by User

"Medical Student Impressed with video streaming"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, video quality is impressive, platform availability is great

What do you dislike?

The controls on the video player are not as responsive as desired

Classroom streaming

Learning about Kaltura?

* We monitor all Kaltura reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.