KeePass

KeePass, the free, open source, light-weight and easy-to-use password manager.

Work for KeePass?

Learning about KeePass?

KeePass Reviews

Showing 103 KeePass reviews
KeePass review by Angel F.
Angel F.

"Good password manager"

What do you like best?

Keepass is a really good tool for password management.

I use it both for personal and work related accounts management and its really straightforward.

Password generator included in Keepass allows users to generate strong passwords really fast.

The application shortkeys allow users to automatically enter the credentials to acess a site with the only effort of pressing two keys.

You can export and import the application database into an encrypted file to transport and use it wherever you might need.

The accounts grouping functionality is good to properly order the different accounts by project or theme.

What do you dislike?

The look and feel of the desktop application is quite old fashioned, but usable.

Keepass app for Android devices is quite complex to use and not too much intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keepass is a good tool for credentials management when you have a lot of user accounts scattered on many systems and web pages.

When you have a lot o user accounts for different websites and application Keepass helps you to manage them easily and securely without too much effort.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about KeePass
KeePass review by Ishan P.
Ishan P.

"Free and open source Password Manager | KeePass"

What do you like best?

It is free, open source and lightweight software. It's nice to have KeePass to manage my passwords in a highly secure way in which nobody except me will be able to access my data. We have to remember only one master password through which we will be able to retreive all other passwords if it is correct.

What do you dislike?

The UI is very old. It needs to be updated. Other than this, everything is fine.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will recommend surely. It's free

As the databases created by KeePass are encrypted using most secure encryption algorithms - AES and Twofish, we can trust it for using the company's credentials. It's so that we dont have to remember each of the internal passwords like FTP, SSH, Login password, web password, etc. As sometimes we used randomly used passwords, it becomes very hard to remember those complex passwords.

What Password Manager solution do you use?

"Secure Password Manager"

What do you like best?

Ability to select the best encryption available

Random Password Generator

Ability to input user and passwords automatically into websites

What do you dislike?

Its not easy to use for a new comer. You have to play around with the software to find out about how it is unlike lastpass which is easy but is cloud based. I like keepass better because it is stored locally

Recommendations to others considering the product

As compared to other solutions like Lastpass and Dasline which are easy, Keepass is a bit complex. It might be difficult to navigate at first but once you get used to it it is a great software. Its also free. Its is very secure if you use best practices to secure your password database e.g using the inbuilt algorithms to generate passwords. Personally I feel better that I have taken the best available option to secure my passwords. Thats all you can ever do.

I am using it to store my passwords for business accounts. I use it personally at home as well

KeePass review by Jeff K.
Jeff K.

"Simple secure interface and it's free"

What do you like best?

I like that there is a method of storing the database on my own pc/dropbox account rather than on someone's cloud service. I'd rather have the peace of mind knowing how I'm securing it rather than some other company. The software is easy to use, simple and of course free. I'm achieving greater security by having this application installed on my pc and phone by allowing it to come up with lengthy passwords instead of things I need to remember.

What do you dislike?

Thus far, I can't say that I don't like anything about it. It does what it should and doesn't pretend to do other things it doesn't need too.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for something simple that just does what a password manager should, then this is the product for you. It's not pretending to be something that it isn't and by doing that, they are providing a product that simply works and has not had issues since the day I installed it. It's nice with the categorizations it allows you to setup and different icons for different types of logins to quickly differentiate between accounts. This software definitely allows you to be more secure in the workplace and personally.

I'm able to have all of my passwords different and of great length. I have the database stored on a dropbox account so I can share the DB with the keepass app on my phone as well as my pc. Greater security is definitely being achieved with this application.

KeePass review by Maxime L.
Maxime L.

"Most secured password management I have tested"

What do you like best?

- Its encryption implementation, well-recognized by some official governments organizations

- Tools to help improve existing password and eliminate duplicates

- The long list of plugins to use Keepass on all my devices (Windows, Linux, Android...)

- The password generator tool, which has enough options to comply with many website limitations

What do you dislike?

- The learning curve in using the main software, as there's no tutorials or guides to integrate it with your browsers/devices

- The UI is a bit old, compared to non-free competitors, with a classic Windows 2000 style

- The lacking of password sharing between team members

- Plugins update is not always working great, especially browsers ones, that may need some manual copy-pasting of files to work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The setup may seem burdensome at first, but it is way more reassuring having its credentials in the company server than hosted by a third party, even if it is encrypted.

A first step can be to use Dropbox integration first, to learn how to use it.

I am saving my personal password as well as professionnal ones and can have an unique password everywhere, without having to remember it. This strenghten the security as a leak of one of website database will not impact on all my accounts, especially pro ones.

The single problem we encounter is the password sharing between people, since Keepass does not offer any options, compared to Dashlane, which allow to share some passwords with other users, for example.

KeePass review by Athena Ordona V.
Athena Ordona V.

"Keepass: Tool for Organization and Quick Type"

What do you like best?

Although its main intention is to be a safekeeping app for your passwords, it also serves as a tool that you can program/command to auto-type for you which makes it really efficient for logging in and also for jobs that require a lot of repetitive typing.

What do you dislike?

The way that you can program it to do those auto-typing commands is a bit difficult especially if you have no clue about coding. In our department, someone had to basically do the codes for us and send it to everyone. Once you have the basic code though, you will find it easy to program it to the way that you want it to perform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have a little background of coding before using it. Or have a basic tutorial so you can fully use its functions outside keeping passwords.

For businesses that has a lot of tools (which therefore means a lot of passwords too), it makes it more secure for employees to just access this tool and not have a physical unsecured copy of the list of passwords that anyone can easily obtain. Another benefit of Keepass is how it makes typing and logging in to different applications really quick. Imagine programs that auto lock you out if you’re not active on it for like 15 minutes. That means having to type in your login info each time! That’s crazy! Not to mention, you’d have to memorize or go through your list of passwords each time.

KeePass review by Jose B.
Jose B.

"Keepass review"

What do you like best?

This open source application allows you to manage your internet credentials in a secure way. to improve your credentials administration, you can create groups where you can organize using topics, defining icons for this groups and making several customization such as: Expiration dates, auto typing function and plugins.

Additionally, you can generate secure password and lookup for groups and credentials.

What do you dislike?

The integration with browsers it's make by manual installations of a plugin by every browser.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It 's a great option to considerate, if you are looking for a secure password manager app, easy to use and open source.

My problem solved is simple. I don't have to remember every credentials. Every day, i have to use around 10 different internet credentials. But now, i can safe every credential set in KeePass and use it at the correct moment.

KeePass review by User

"KeePass, an excellent password manager"

What do you like best?

The main reason I use KeePass is that it is available across all platforms that I use: Windows, Linux, and Android, and that I can access the same database for each platform.

There are an number of websites that I go on that work better in one browser than another. I like the fact the KeePass allows you to choose between browsers.

What do you dislike?

The Android implementation can be a little hit and miss in terms of allowing me to "jump off" to a particular set of credentials.

Recommendations to others considering the product

KeePass, for me is the go to password management software. I had trialled LastPass before but did not like the idea of storing my credentials in the cloud.

As part of my role I have access to 57 different accounts. KeePass not only allows me to manage the credentials for these, but also allows me to autogenerate passwords, thus avoiding the temptation of re-using the same password

KeePass review by Niels H.
Niels H.

"Very helpful to manage multiple login credentials"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to use, especially the auto type feature.

Moreover it allows you to work in a more secure way, by choosing 30-character random passwords and saving them in keepass.

This will make sure that it's impossible for others to either guess or remember your password.

It's also easy to change passwords more often for security reasons because there is no need to remember them.

What do you dislike?

There is not really something I dislike.

The only downside is that it's not possible to use keepass on a new device without having access to the keepass file. (but obviously more secure this way)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before using it for business ends, try using it for personal passwords first.

This will allow you to experience how users will have to work with the software as well as how you work with Keepass as an admin.

We have multiple people working within multiple software application, both our own as well as third party applications.

Each users has it's own username and password that needs to change frequently.

We create random 30-character passwords for everyone that change each month. Users don't have to remember or manage the passwords themselves. Everything is managed through keepass.

KeePass review by Denny C.
Denny C.

"A good password database made great by its plugins"

What do you like best?

Works well on both my PC and my Android device. Has two-forms authentication, fingerprint recognition (on phone) and built-in Dropbox and Google Drive support (via plugin).

What do you dislike?

Some parts of the UI are a bit kludgy such as the password generator. I've yet to find dependable web browser integration.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Other software and services exist, but this one is totally free and well supported.

Having a well secured and centralized database of my passwords allows me to use more secure, random passwords everywhere. This increases the security of every password because I no longer feel the need to repeat the use of passwords across applications/sites, nor to utilize schemes to ensure that my passwords are easy for me to remember.

KeePass review by Chad C.
Chad C.

"Indispensable password management for distributed small teams"

What do you like best?

I work on a distributed team of around twenty folks and we rely heavily on KeePass to store credentials of all kinds. KeePass lets us store credentials for websites, databases, servers, licensing and notes to go along with it all. With the ability to sync with either a URL or a file, keeping everyone's entries synced up is a breeze. When a new person comes on to the team, it's easy to bring them up to speed on all our logins: install KeePass, load up the database file, and they are good to go. You can customize the keystrokes for copying the username and the password to the clipboard. You can store the database anywhere; shared drive, locally, SharePoint, etc.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike really. Only complaint might be the interface, which can seem a little outdated, but hey, this is free software. Don't care for the password generator, I use xkpasswd.net for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free software, so just give it a try. Take advantage of the ability to create folders and subfolder to organize credentials.

We are sharing hundreds of sets of credentials over a distributed team of people. KeePass makes this simple. If someone is looking for a set of creds and you know it's in KeePass, the first thing you ask them is "When was the last time you sync'd KeePass? They usually haven't synced in a while, and all they need to do is sync and 3 minutes later they have what they need.

KeePass review by Armin P.
Armin P.

"A well protected key safe in times of overboarding login datas, passwords and the like."

What do you like best?

KeePass secures its Database with a Master Password and a key file. There is no way to access the Database without both. So it's best practice to save the key file somewhere else, than the database. An usb stick, which you always carry with you, for example.

KeePass comes with an own password generator, which allows several options (like uppercase, digits, specials, etc.). This way, you can generate a bullet proof password.

When entering your account details, just use ctrl+b to copy the login name and ctrl+c to copy the password. KeePass automatically clears the cache after several seconds. So you wont accidentally paste your password in the wrong place.

What do you dislike?

Actually there is not much to dislike. KeyPass covers all my needs, while keeping itself clean and fast.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep your keyfile somewhere else, than your database.

KeePass functions as my hub to all those Login Datas someone accumulateds these days. For every Website, every Shop, even most of the software used, you need an own password. You can use some rules for the creation of your passwords, but as soon, as someone learns these rules, you got a problem. KeePass solves those problems completely. You just need to remember your MasterPassword and keep your keyfile save. This way, it's possible to use unique passwords for every account.

KeePass review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Best Product hands down for managing passwords"

What do you like best?

Local desktop software that does not sit on the cloud.

Ability to have the software create a password for you.

Designed with a strong security mindset.

Numerous options around setting up automated password generation

Open Source.

Small, Can be installed on your computer or even on a thumb drive.

Vibrant 3rd party community with add-ons

Ability to sync your password DB across different platforms

What do you dislike?

There isn't that much I don't like.

Install could be simpler. No Automated Updates

Some Confusion (for a newbie) around installation options and version. You have to read and think about it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great, free software. Highly recommended.

Face it. In IT we have to maintain numerous personal and adminstrator passwords. Too many to count.

We need to keep those passwords strong. KeePass does the trick.

The software sits on your personal computer, so it limits the attack vectors from hackers.

KeePass review by Łukasz K.
Łukasz K.

"A very nifty password manager"

What do you like best?

The feature that lets you double click a password, paste it, and then it is automatically removed from the clipboard after several seconds. Oh, and you can sort passwords into categories.

What do you dislike?

Uhm... the interface? It looks archaic but you don't use it to admire its interface, do you?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just grab it, it does its job and doesn't try to be something else.

Password management. The benefit when you can't remember your password is obvious but even when you do remember your password, it's still faster to grab it from KeePass. Plus password sharing this way seems more secure - the password database file can be stored locally.

KeePass review by Bill R.
Bill R.

"Excellent, flexible password keeper"

What do you like best?

Multiplatform (versions exist for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android)

Can synchronize databases between devices

Can add data fields to any entry

Immensely configurable

Password generator

Password rater

Can organize entries by folder

Price (free)

Each entry has URL, and can launch a specific browser for login

Each entry has free-form text Notes field

Automatically clears clipboard after copying password after delay

What do you dislike?

Written in .NET

Can't define entry types (each one is separate)

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'm a big fan of KeePass and am using version 2.32. I would recommend KeePass 2.x for any new user. (KeePass 1.x is still offered, but I don't see any reason to use it instead of 2.x for new users.)

Some people might prefer using an online password keeper. I am not convinced that entrusting my passwords to someone else is a reasonable idea, but I make regular backups.

I am not using the KeePass features to automatically type usernames and passwords into other windows. It's possible other products do this better.

I can store my passwords securely on almost every device I use, and synchronize as needed.

KeePass review by Jenny K.
Jenny K.

"Open source password manager software that is incredibly powerful"

What do you like best?

KeePass allows you to carry it on a USB stick since it dosent require any installation which is quite useful. It also opens the door completely to all its source code, allowing you to install it on iOS, Android and adapt it to various platforms.

What do you dislike?

If you are not tech-savy then you won't really like this application, there is no one easy click setup or installation wizard so you'll have to work on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the perfect password manager software for someone who is tech-savy and likes to have total control and customization of their password system.

Manage all your credentials in one central repository.

KeePass review by User in Information Technology and Services

"KeePass is a great tool to store passwords!"

What do you like best?

KeePass helps optimize my time by allowing me to just know the password to KeePass. I work for an IT company that implements HR software. I am staffed on multiple projects at the same time, so it's helpful to have KeePass such that I have a different password for each tenant, but I never have to remember the passwords. I also love the hot key functionality, which allows me to auto-fill my username and password.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much I dislike about KeePass. One thing that is difficult is needing to work from a computer that does not have KeePass installed. KeePass allows me to create complex passwords, but this also means there are times, I don't remember the password. It would be great if there was a way to store these items in the cloud so I could access it anywhere.

As I mentioned above, this product really saves me 10+ seconds every time I need to log into a different customer environment.

KeePass review by User in Sports
User in Sports

"KeePass stores all my Passwords so I don't have to"

What do you like best?

KeePass allows me to use different passwords for each and every account I have. The passwords can be extremely complex and all I have to remember is one password to access the database. I keep the database on a usb stick so I don't have to worry about passwords ever again. I can also keep a backup of the database in the cloud so if I forget the usb stick I can access my passwords without a problem.

What do you dislike?

To use KeePass you have to have access to your database and a good mobile solution hasn't really been implemented yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Every company needs a password policy and KeePass is a free solution that does the job without costing a fortune.

KeePass allows us to keep track of passwords for all sorts of vendors with all sorts of varying security requirements. It also allows one administrator to have access to and make changes to passwords without worry about keeping the company up to date since they can easliy open and get updated passwords at any time.

KeePass review by User

"Administrador de contraseñas con funciones adicionales"

What do you like best?

Me encantan todas las funcionalidades de esta aplicación, la administración de contraseñas es bastante sencilla podemos organizar las diferente entrada en una estructura similar a la de un árbol de directorios,, a cada registro podemos agregarle diversos archivos adjunto, podemos definir un tiempo de caducidad, nos permite generar una contraseña compleja, ademas tenemos un control de versiones a modo de histórico. Reconoce las entradas que son URL y permite acceder a ellas directamente haciendo doble clic. Podemos tener múltiples repositorios de contraseñas.

What do you dislike?

Aunque el diseño de la app es funciona. la interfaz de Usuario debería actualizarse he incluir iconos gráficamente mas atractivos y acorde con la tendencia moderna, otra cosa muy importante que no me gusta es que no nos da la posibilidad de colocar el fichero con las contraseñas en un almacenamiento en linea.

Actualmente lo utilizamos para gestionar las licencias que adquirimos en la empresa, también lo utilizamos para generar contraseñas complejas cuando tenemos que realizar un registro en alguna web.

KeePass review by Brandon S.
Brandon S.

"A helpful tool for keeping track of logins"

What do you like best?

I love how KeePass keeps all our passwords and login information in one place, for all of our team to access. I also like how we can generate new passwords, sync information between computers, and track password changes over time.

What do you dislike?

At times we've noticed glitches in how KeePass shows the information. We'e never lost data (thank God!) but we've noticed some occasional hiccups. And since we have several team members on Macs, it makes things difficult for our team. I'd also love a iOS app for use away from my desk.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is great for teams looking to keep track of all their passwords and login information. If you are a single user, you might want to consider other options.

KeePass helps our team keep track of hundreds of logins for emails, websites, social media accounts, and software keys for all of our 100+ clients. Simply put, without KeePass we would be unable to operate as an agency!

KeePass review by JENNIFER R.
JENNIFER R.

"KeePass password management"

What do you like best?

Secure, easy to setup, use and maintain. Can be used across platforms with various interfaces, cloud integration is simple. It is FREE, open source software https://keepass.info/donate.html

What do you dislike?

Some of the non-Windows interfaces such as MAC and Chrome can be a bit difficult for users to seamlessly access when utilizing multi-platforms. Occasional (recoverable) database corruptions appear, mainly with cloud usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make a simple in-house customized user guide. Get buy-in with key players and managers, install on ALL workstations, laptops, etc. Train users from the start to use and it will become the defacto standard.

Shared passwords, password security, reliable management. No more questionable long password issues. Becuase of the autogeneration of passwords, long strong passwords are a snap to choose and use.

KeePass review by Stanislav B.
Stanislav B.

"It's actually good product "

What do you like best?

I like it's simplicity. KeePass actually do what it should do. It supports groups, subgroups, provide good password generator and other small but nice tools for you. Nothing special but what you need. You can organise all your passwords as you want and be happy.

What do you dislike?

With all this simplicity - GUI isn't fancy at all. It looks like application from 90th. I guess that graphic elements was just ported from Windows version to Mac and looks ugly. Another usability issue - copy paste of information from KeePassX (Mac version). It actually supports copy of username and pasting. But sometimes it just do not copy it. It's embarrassing. You continue to copy-paste several times and finally when you tired and mad, you click with mouse in menu for copy and then paste. So, I believe all these issues can be fixed with new version which released but at the same time I found that developers eliminated a lot of small features in new version which were helpful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it and use if you like it. A lot of new password management tools try to upload all your information to the cloud and it's up to you. You can sync KeePass vaults via cloud but keep vaults itself encrypted with your passwords.

I was using it for keeping passwords from third-party services. One of clients had a lot of external services using and we spread several encrypted files between team members. With every password update - new files were distributed. To keep things organised and secure: several files were created with different access level. So, that was very handy and easy to keep all encrypted vaults shared with project team and distribute only passwords for particular vaults depending on role and access level.

KeePass review by Avery S.
Avery S.

"Keeper of many secrets"

What do you like best?

It provides an intuitive view of your secrets: it organizes passwords by folders inside the encrypted file. It also has a great password generator and has automatic username and password typing! I like being able to have *it* type the username and password so I never have my password on my clipboard. It can even track the expected expiration date for passwords with a forced rotation period and tell you when it's expiring.

What do you dislike?

Its automatic update notices are annoying. It begs you open the downloads page on the Keepass site whenever there's a new version, but it doesn't say why I'd want the update (what kind of update it is) and won't bring you to the download page of the specific product you're upgrading.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it: it's free! Your data stays right where you saved it and it's easy to use.

I use it to manage the logins for the many external websites I have to use at work, such as secure email portals. It's better than having your browser remember passwords because it's easy to back up the single file to a network drive.

KeePass review by Justin C.
Justin C.

"Everyone needs a great opensource manager like KeePass"

What do you like best?

Everything except the GUI. I love open source software. I didn't really start getting serious into keeping my passwords secure until I got into the cryptocurrency realm. That's when I realized I needed a unique password for any financial or personal account I cared about. How to do that while remembering every password securely? Not really an option. I used other password managers, but they always cost a lot of money or they weren't open source so I couldn't trust them. I used 1Password before and while that one is superior GUI wise, KeePass was just better overall. It's open source, it's literally on every platform. I even use it on my iPhone with MiniKeePass. I think customizing how I want my passwords are generated is very cool. I also like how I can include notes alongside my general passwords. My passphrase memorized allows me to upload my kbdx file anywhere without having to worry about it being broken. I'll always say the more eyes on open source software the better and I know a lot of people have looked through KeePass.

What do you dislike?

GUI needs some work, but it's a password manager so I shouldn't expect anything fancy. It just works. The mobile app that's not really related to KeePass directly also isn't as user-friendly. I"ll say though KeePass is very extensible in connecting to browsers through support of users building software for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Always backup your kbdx file!

I'm solving personal security as well as some work related passwords I can't just have laying around in plain text.

KeePass review by Renato C.
Renato C.

"Excellent tool for password safe keeping"

What do you like best?

Keepass is just straightforward, it doesn't pretend to do everything. It keeps passwords safe, and it does very very well. The data you can save for each access also allows one to have a simple inventory of ones user ids registered all over the web.

Also the fact that it can use keys combined with password is useful for keepass safe sharing for single projects.

What do you dislike?

The notes are very badly displayed. Also the personal/pro difference has no reason since I never found nobody that uses the non-pro version because it really has too many limitations.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a password manager to work with while you're on the move. This is the software for you, just be advised to make sure that all the people that work with you are using the same software.

Secure single project passwords without having to have forcedly a SIM solution. Especially since, as a consultant, we often work outside off-prem and keepass is portable.

KeePass review by Shayne V.
Shayne V.

"KeePass Review From A Test Engineer II Perspective"

What do you like best?

Working in the software business, I need to remember dozens of usernames/passwords and I prefer not to have the same password for each to be more PCI compliant. KeePass is a wonderful tool to help you generate a random password. You can then safely save all your usernames/passwords and even URLs for the associated username/password. These are all protected by a master password when you launch KeePass so just anyone can't launch the program and have access to your credentials.

What do you dislike?

KeePass does not automatically capture login credentials and the user must do it manually which is only a minor gripe of mine. From a new user perspective, it may also be daunting with how many settings there are to choose from. A main concern is that the plugins are not guaranteed safe but I have had no issues thus far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

KeePass is a useful tool for anyone with multiple logins to remember. I find in most useful in my day to day work to help me work that much more quickly and efficiently.

KeePass not only helps save time by giving you quick and easy access to all your user credentials but it also has many useful plugins. I personally use KeeForm, which is designed to open and scan a website for input fields and enter your credentials accordingly which is supported in IE, Chrome, and Firefox.

KeePass review by Paul B.
Paul B.

"For passwords you absolutely need to keep secure"

What do you like best?

You have total control over where the password database gets stored. Want to keep it on a USB drive that lives on your keychain? Sure. Want to just stick in Dropbox, no problem. Rolling your own cloud-type solution? You're the boss. Need to burn it to a DVD with a copy of Keepass (and the source) and stick in a vault for years and years? Whatever you want.

What do you dislike?

It's not nearly as convenient as something like Lastpass. Are you willing to trade some potential security for some definite convenience? Depends on what's being secured, I'd say.

Remember though that most passwords are only as secure as your email is, and many are about as secure as your mother's maiden name.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless you want to lock your password in an offline vault for emergency recovery situations, if you trying to decide between Keepass and Lastpass, just go with Lastpass. It's WAY more convenient, and way easier to have actual secure, random passwords for every random site you might visit.

The biggest security threat with passwords is password re-use, not people cracking the password of a given system. KeePass doesn't really do a lot to help you with that. Lastpass makes it absolutely trivial, which means it's going to get used, and used well.

Still, Lastpass has a cost, and is closed source. If you need a solution you can lock up and come back to 10 years from now without worrying that the service stops existing in the mean time, you can always save the KeePass source with the passwords, and then get it compiled and running for whatever futuristic systems we are using in a decade.

Keepass is useful for those passwords you want absolute control over.

KeePass review by Martin M.
Martin M.

"Excellent and free password manager not relying on server, cloud storage you don't control"

What do you like best?

KeePass (the "Pro" 2 version) is multiplatform, based on .NET thus working nicely also on Linux I work on as my main OS. The database is robust and I haven't experience any glitch or db corruption for several years I use it. Great feature is saving history of the records, trash bin, custom icons etc. Most important is the possibility to link it with KeeFox for Firefox browser or other plugins for other browsers, and ability to open it on Android phone/tablet with KeePass2Android that allows also secure keyboard to copy-paste usernames and passwords. On Windows KeePass2 is part of Ninite bundle which saves a lot of time when installing basic SW on a new WIndows installation which I do quite often.

What do you dislike?

The languages except English are not bundled by default. When I install it to somebody who does not understand English and the person is using Windows, I have to manually download the language pack, then copy it manually to Program Files app folder, go through UAC to copy the file to this location etc... Also I miss the ability to use the feature of combined key where you could select to open database by (A) combination of WIndows login + fingerprint, or (B) regular password as a failsafe option. The app should include the option to log in by biometric sensors in general in combination with some PIN or Windows login, and always have the possibility to login by regular passphrase and change these alternative logins in case of some problem (losing Windows account etc)

Recommendations to others considering the product

KeePass is great for personal password management. Missing "enterprise" features (master central passphrase, biometrics, combination of x from y possible login methods,...) makes it complicated for deployment and use in a larger company.

I try to encourage all people in our company to use KeePass2 for storing their passwords for intranet sites, email, VPN, RDP connections etc instead of writing it on post-it, notebook or some other similarly stupid insecure ways of remembering passwords. Some people started using it properly but some have issues with it. Also a ṕossibility to have a master key for several databases that could not be changed by the user itself (so in case the person leaves or forgets the passphrase, the admin could still open the database) is missing.

KeePass review by Garrett S.
Garrett S.

"Easy solution to sharing credentials between team members."

What do you like best?

Simple to setup and version control. A large range of front ends are available to use.

Honestly, it was the first product that I tried to fulfill my teams needs and it did all of them. Can't complain with that.

It lets you easily pass around the store that made sharing it trivial. No worries about third party servers at all. It's nice to be in complete control of the store.

What do you dislike?

Mac client could be better. Windows client isn't the prettiest of interfaces.

Almost too many features. Really just needed a simple way to secure passwords between team members, not all of the categorization and comment fields. Doesn't hurt to have them though.

We used a git repo to share the KeePass file. Maybe not the best way to share this kind of file considering it is one massive blob and you could definitely end up with conflicts. Luckily we make changes so rarely that this doesn't come up for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it. It's easy to setup and free so there really isn't a lot to lose.

Used to share passwords between team members for important developer accounts, signing certificates and release keys.

Not having a plaintext file with all of these passwords, or expecting people to email them around has definitely gotten rid of a lot of our security concerns. Now we just share a single password with team members and they can take it from there.

KeePass review by Jeremy R.
Jeremy R.

"A flexible solution to password management"

What do you like best?

KeePass puts you in control of your passwords. My favourite aspect of KeePass stems from its open source nature, which lets me pick the client that suits me best, use the same database across multiple platforms and have the possibility to keep it offline without having to upload my passwords to someone else's servers if I choose not to.

I used to use KeePassX on Linux, but now use MacPass to access my KeePass database on my computer. Encrypted with a strong password and a keyfile kept separately, I can also have easy access to my passwords on my iPhone using MiniKeePass.

KeePass also supports strong password generation, offloading the burden of having to think of a new unique one up every time you want to sign-up to a new service for example.

Most other password managers either require a hefty price for a license, or an expensive monthly subscription that adds up over the years. I'd have to honestly mention that the fact that KeePass being free (as in beer) is a strong point it has going for it. Everyone owes it to themselves to adopt a strong password management solution if they use the Internet.

What do you dislike?

I'd be lying if I said that KeePass was the easiest software available. There are a few reasons for this.

Firstly there is no single "vendor" which offers a KeePass solution across all platforms. Depending on the device you use, your available choices of software will vary, indeed complicating adoption for new users.

Secondly, support is limited. KeePass itself, and most of its implementations are open source software and don't offer the traditional support channels people may come to expect from software they use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depending on the platforms you use, here are some KeePass clients to get you started:

- Windows: KeePass

- Linux: KeePassX

- Mac: MacPass

- iOS: MiniKeePass

- Android: KeePassDroid

Just like anyone who frequently uses the Internet, I found myself at a certain point where keeping track of all my passwords difficult. KeePass was the solution I found that best fits my needs. I can now generate strong unique passwords every time required without breaking a sweat.

Storing all the required login information, being able to quickly retrieve them through search, as well as knowing that they are all secure has taken a burden off my day-to-day work.

KeePass review by Christopher R.
Christopher R.

"Seen most p/w db's - this one comes above the rest"

What do you like best?

1. Free

2. Easy to use

3. Links to Dropbox

4. Excellent for user/small only implementation

What do you dislike?

Not suitable for large scale enterprise environments due to portability. If an ex-employee has this DB file and knows the password and leaves, you are exposed. There is no "off the shelf" web interface for this product which can limit you to how you can connect and view databases. If there was an inbuilt feature then you would be able to connect in all possible ways to the DB. The two factor implementation is rather weak, using a keyfile type system. It would be much better to have a Google Authenticator type two factor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider this if you do not need to have a web front end DB with no two factor authentication. Check out KeeWeb which is on the Github repository, it is a free self hosted front end to Keepass. It could however expose your database to potential attack if presented to the internet.

For a free and easy password DB implementation to a small team/environment then it is hard to beat this product.

KeePass review by Vincent D.
Vincent D.

"Safe and useful password manager. And cross platform!"

What do you like best?

KeePass is open source. I haven't inspected the source code, but it's good to know that any NSA backdoors/etc are available for the whole world to see if anyone is curious enough.

KeePass is free. I don't like the idea of a subscription payment model for something that is vital to my daily use. I would have been willing to pay for KeePass, although at the start I might have considered the cheapest option and never gotten into KeePass in the first place.

I also enjoy the autotype feature, and while it could be better at detecting which website it's on, it's nice to just hit a hotkey (when it works) and be logged in.

What do you dislike?

The autotype command does not work on some websites, keepass does not seem to recognized that you are on a certain page.

I am a software engineer and computer enthusiast, but I can easily see someone who is not as tech savvy having a difficult time using the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Store your database file in dropbox! That way you can use it across computers. If I create a new account from my laptop while in a coffee shop, I can be assured the password that KeePass generated will be available when I get home and sit down at my desktop.

Using a different password for every account I own. This gives me protection in case one of my accounts is compromised.

KeePass review by William A.
William A.

"KeePass is a great Freeware with basic features."

What do you like best?

Strong password generators

Ability to reset password from clipboard after 10 secs

Portable encrypted database.

What do you dislike?

KeePass provides very minimal features compared to other paid software.

I wish there is a better way of syncing the database on multiple platforms. Currently using Dropbox is my solution.

I do not have anything negative to say about this software. it's a freeware, it provides basic functionalities that solve all my problem. Thank you, KeePass developers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Please give this software a try, it will make your life a lot easier. I have encountered many of my friends who tend to forget about their passwords. Once I recommend this software to them, they can never thank me enough. Some of them stay with KeePass because it has basic features that's enough for a minimalistic person such as myself, some of them spent some money for similar software which offer some cool and practical features.

I started to search for password management software when LinkedIn was hacked in 2012 and user credentials were posted online. Back then, I use the same password for my every online account, this incident made me realize that '1 password for all' was a really bad idea.

Then my immediate solution was to store my passwords in google spreadsheet, so I will only need to remember one strong password as the entry point to gain access to my other strong passwords. But the process was all manual, I also use a third party website to generate a strong password with special characters and minimum 20 characters.

After doing this method for a while, then I saw one of my colleagues was using KeePass on his mac. I downloaded the OSX version and I immediately fell in love with the software. It was really easy to understand and I transferred all my passwords to KeePass and still use this software till today.

Now I have more than 100 very strong passwords in my KeePass and the best part is, I do not have to memorize any of them.

KeePass review by Dima K.
Dima K.

"A good password manager that can be as powerful as you need it to."

What do you like best?

I don't have a lot of demands for a password manager. I just need to store and sort passwords, and KeePass delivers on that. It's fast, has clients available for most of the platforms I use, and lets me comfortable manage my passwords.

I can save passwords in folders, add longer descriptions to them, add custom icons.

KeePass also features a password generator, letting me create passwords that are much longer than anything I could have come up with myself, and also unimaginably more secure, by virtue of that, and me having never actually seen the password with my own eyes.

What do you dislike?

In the past, I was annoyed by lack of cross-platform support, but that issue has now been resolved. I think the only annoyance to have with KeePass nowadays is that browser integration is a bit clunky, with Chrome especially.

Compared to paid offerings, KeePass lacks things like cloud synchronization out of the box, but this has a very easy remedy - if you need to use cloud syncing, you can just put your KeePass file in a cloud storage folder - that's it!

Recommendations to others considering the product

KeePass is available on a variety of platforms, but not all of them have a first-party client. For Mac and Linux users, I find that KeePassX is the best choice, while for Android, it would be KeePass2Droid. Both have comparable functionality to the standard version, but with some niceties like cloud syncing support, if this is something you need.

I use KeePass is to manage passwords for a company's accounts. No longer is managing passwords a pain, making the company more secure.

KeePass review by User in Computer Software

"The (Only) Essential Personal Password Manager!"

What do you like best?

KeePass is my favorite personal tool that I use- it lets me secure 100s of passwords under high security across different devices! The open source nature of this tool means that there are Android, iOS, Windows and other clients that I can store passwords in. The .KDB file has seemed to gain a standard and can probably brought into Enterprise Password managers too.

What do you dislike?

There have been a lack of updates- I am looking for biometric means of protection and the Android version I am using doesn't support this. The simplicity of the software has its upside in what probably amounts to better security and it "just works".

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you try out different client versions of KeePass, there are different developers out there. Some have been updated and others are more simple (Which I tend to prefer).

I am able to store passwords across my entire life in one place. This allows me to create differentiated passwords and keep them extra secure as a best practice. I don't know what I would do without a tool like this! KeePass has always been a tremendous asset and I would recommend it to anyone whether at work or as a personal help.

KeePass review by Dean H.
Dean H.

"KeePass has become an indispensable tool that I use 30 times a day!"

What do you like best?

Having a password database has changed my life! My favorite feature is auto-type into any program--NOT just browsers! I'm absolutely passionate about sharing KeePass to everyone I know!

What do you dislike?

KeePass isn't as easy as it could be for new low-technical users. My recommendation is to put your KeePass database on a Dropbox account. Then it's available to you on all your devices/PC's.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can't recommend KeePass enough! When you get started, you need to create a new database which you should put on a web-drive such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Box.com, or similar. Once you do, you need to enter all the passwords that you've created on all the various sites. Don't be discouraged as this is a big task. You need to patiently use it each time you visit a site and generate a new password for each site.

The web is full of user registrations and passwords to remember. Without a password manager such as KeePass, you just have to use the same password everywhere. The problem is if one site gets hacked and your password is compromised, then the hackers can get into all of your accounts. KeePass solves this elegantly!

KeePass review by User in Telecommunications
User in Telecommunications

"Great tool to share passwords with the team securely!"

What do you like best?

I like the all in one nature of this tool and the data set that can be stored by default. The password generator is flexible and the secure copy/paste mechanism is a real plus!

What do you dislike?

The save/sync mechanism is a bit weak and you do risk loosing your data if you forget to save. An autosave feature would be a great plus!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get rid of your post-its, spreadsheets and written passwords. Secure your environment and track your passwords all in one piece of software!

Keeping track of passwords required for our work that an entire team would need access to and allowing upper management access to these passwords in the case of an emergency as well. Preventing saving of passwords in notebooks and or post-it notes.

KeePass review by David A.
David A.

"Secure Passwords everywhere"

What do you like best?

I have been using KeePass for years. I use pluggins to automate the passwords for multiple website logins allowing me to create secure and random passwords. I store the passwords with OneDrive allowing me to gain access to the file across multiple devices and also not having to worry about losing the database.

KeePass helps me keep all vendor and personal password separate for better security.

What do you dislike?

The plugins don't always work as expected, but they are written by third parties. The overall program works very well for what is intended to do.

It allows me to maintain passwords to hundreds of sites that I visit with unique passwords for both personal and business use.

KeePass review by Larry W.
Larry W.

"One of the best multi-platform password managers"

What do you like best?

This is one of the most organized utilities, letting me customize all my password and account details down to my preferred levels. Great for the tinkerer, and developers seem to design great add-ins to allow for further control and sync.

The fact that I'm able to work on my windows laptop, sync it go Google Drive, then open it on my Android phone makes this incredibly valuable!

What do you dislike?

Some plugins, though they are stated to work, can cause issues and errors that aren't easily diagnosed. Can occasionally be a resource hog, but not too often.

This became a universal replacement for passwords kept in spreadsheets and a decentralized system at a prior position. Having used this for years in personal experience, seeing it in an enterprise environment solving issues was great.

KeePass review by Cassie J.
Cassie J.

"Not so good"

What do you like best?

It has an average support quality, easy to download and install, it doesn't weight too much and i can keep it in my usb device.

What do you dislike?

It's too dificult to use it, i don't understand every feature, lots of documentation and technical words, it works only in windows so my others devices i can't use it, website is kinda ugly and honestly this software looks like an old software from 2000.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are other tools to keep your passwords safe more easily than this.

I try and use it some time. It works pretty neat on windows and it can be util for people with some knowledge about computer science.

KeePass review by Mark J.
Mark J.

"KeePass does what I need"

What do you like best?

KeePass offers an excellent level of security, given that I control my vault database and can store it on my own servers, so I'm not required to trust somebody else's security framework.

I'm also really pleased with the level of integration I've been able to achieve with various tools including web browsers and remote access tools.

What do you dislike?

There's not much to dislike. However if I were to try to deploy KeePass at the enterprise level it could be a bit daunting, especially if I wanted to implement some kind of master key.

I'm using it as my personal password manager. Having a different high-quality password for absolutely everything is the only workable personal password policy today, and KeePass makes that work for me.

KeePass review by Jinhong C.
Jinhong C.

"Convenient, Portable, Stable and Reliable secret keeping software"

What do you like best?

Compatible, portable, can manage(keep copy, update, etc.) keepass database by myself. I use git to manage my database, which is portable to any where.

What do you dislike?

Can only attach one file each entry.

Cannot import external database on iPhone(keepass app)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Enable keepass database to be portable anywhere, so we only need to maintain only one copy of our database. Or even can provide a keepass db repo, but there are many secure issues here to concern.

Storing/recording lots of my own scerets information. I don't have to remember all secrets using my brain. And also since the softeware is so portable, I can access my secret database any where. I manage my keepass database using bitbucket, so I can download it from anywhere.

KeePass review by Wayne B.
Wayne B.

"Best free password manager. Windows / IOS "

What do you like best?

The best feature I think is the ability to have a keepass database on multi platforms. I run keepass on my windows desktop and kypass on my iphone.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there is no built in cloud support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep your password more secure using a password and a key file located on separate media.

Well the most obvious problem it solves is keeping track of every different password we have for every different application. We love the ability to have multiple people access the same database of passwords.

KeePass review by John W.
John W.

"Securely store my passwords"

What do you like best?

The master key can contain passphrase and file so that password database is very hard to break. Also KeePass has portable version so that I can save them (KeePass, password db) to USB to let them more secure.

What do you dislike?

KeePass only supports Windows. Official version for MacOS should be released.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Sharing passwords among websites are insecure. Use KeePass to generate and store passwords for you.

Sharing the same password among multiple websites is insecure. KeePass can generate and store unique password for websites and I only need to remember only one.

KeePass review by Tim J.
Tim J.

"Straightforward and easy to use"

What do you like best?

Keepass is simple. It just works, and is easy to sync with dropbox/google drive to ensure it's on all my devices.

What do you dislike?

The interface I've been using for the mac (KeepassX) is a bit clunky. There is work being done on a native interface to Keepass on Mac (Macpass), but I found it to be too buggy the last time I tried it out. This was several months ago and I can't comment on the current status.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keepass 2 is a significant update, allowing you to maintain multiple databases side by side. Make sure you're using the latest version.

Good passwords help keep your internet accounts safe, but are impossible to remember. Keepass helps.

KeePass review by Benjamin B.
Benjamin B.

"Best open-source password management solution out there."

What do you like best?

Free and open-source. Therefore you can personally verify there are no backdoors. Doesn't cost anything so saves you money!

DIY-ethos. Rather than storing information in the cloud which can be dangerous, you can store your passwords locally and then if you want to use cloud-storage to store the encrypted database file. Full control over the encryption.

Password generation utility is solid.

Ability to use any file as a 'key' file as an authentication method.

What do you dislike?

Other than the Windows client you often find yourself relying on third-party clients to access your database. This comes with potential security risks and is not very convenient either as not all of them are free.

No built-in autofill feature like other password managers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you value total-control and price over convenience, this may be better than other password management services out there. Otherwise look elsewhere to services like LastPass.

Allowed me to switch from using one password for everything to a different password for every service that I use. Much more secure and stopped me worrying about my password being found out (other than my master password!)

KeePass review by Eric C.
Eric C.

"Secure but manual for my requirements"

What do you like best?

- Secure: open source allows anyone to audit the code

- Full control: passwords are not stored in a third party cloud

- Multiple GUI clients available

What do you dislike?

Lack of adoption was the big issue (note that this is not directly the fault of KeePass):

- The GUI clients that are available haven't received enough development to make them easy and seamless

- Software libraries haven't been updated in months and years, I was specifically looking at node.js, but python has the same issue

I work at a smallish software shop that is in the process of deciding on a singular password management system that can be utilized in our deployment systems, browser access, configuration management, etc.

I stumbled on keeweb (a pretty web ui to KeePass files) and then discovered KeePass - it seemed like it might be a solution that would fit my specific needs:

- a nice ui for managing passwords

- portable, its just a file you can plop anywhere

- encrypted, so secure

- at a first glance there were some libraries available

We tried it out, but were unable to integrate it into our workflows in a way that felt comfortable:

- browser extensions weren't very easy to use

- libraries weren't well maintained

Most of our issues were a result of the way we wanted to use KeePass

KeePass review by Administrator in Marketing and Advertising

"KeePass is a fantastic product."

What do you like best?

Cross platform access, reliability and stability of the applications and the fact that it's an offline solution.

What do you dislike?

apple support is a bit lacking but the app is available on iOS and OSX and it is a workable product. just more support and updated software would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a fantastic product with cross browser, cross platform solutions. easy to use easy to setup easy to maintain. no costs in multi device installation and with compatibility with multiple devices. community support is strong and available for multiple platforms including OSX, iOS, android,PC and linux. (OSX support is a bit weaker than PC but the forums are there as a resource.) Keeping the file offline is a big plus and cross browser plugins/ extensions make integrating KeePass smooth and a snap to work with in any environment.

multi user login, browser extensions and the creation of strong secure passwords for various sites that make password management a breeze. The fact that it is an open source product that ensures enterprise level solution without the cloud vulnerability or costs makes KeePass a viable solution.

KeePass review by Joan M.
Joan M.

"Nice free and open source password manager"

What do you like best?

Free password manager maintained by the open source community.

- It's free.

- It's open source.

- It has multiple clients. I can chose the one I like the most.

- It can be synchronized via dropbox or other services.

- There are migration scripts (open source community!) to move to other password managers.

What do you dislike?

It does not have as much features as other paying services as 1 password or so.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I like KeePass and I would recommend it because:

- It is a good password manager.

- It is safe.

- It is open source.

However, I have to admit that :

- It does not contain as many features as other paying services.

- Some paying password managers have a nicer UI (smartphone and desktop clients) and a bunch more of integration features.

Therefore, Kee Pass is useful for users or companies that are looking a safe and free place to store password, certificates and sensible data. However, for a best experience and greater integrations, paying services will perform a better job.

I'm mainly storing password and certificates for a personal use.

By synching the keepass database via dropbox (for example), I can use multiple keepass clients in different devices like Apple computers, iPhones, windows computers, etc.

KeePass review by Zainan Victor Z.
Zainan Victor Z.

"I have used KeePass for a while before I switch to LastPass"

What do you like best?

The opensource nature of this product, it has a lot of plugin. For example, I can store my key file safely in the dropbox to sync with many of my PCs and devices, and access it using tools developed by many 3d developer

What do you dislike?

I finally made the switch to LastPass because the Chrome extension of KeePassHttp was not well maintained, which is a key use case for me. Also sometimes the key file was in a sync conflict when I forget to close the KeePass app after modifying a key file, and then use another device to open and make another update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say if you are tech savy person, feel free to try out KeePass. Firefox support is pretty good, but otherwise, use LastPass

I am trying to reduce security risk when I use same password over entire web. I have been able to create randomized password for different app

KeePass review by Valentina R.
Valentina R.

"A surprisingly efficient software"

What do you like best?

- The possibility to have multiple indipendent keys repositories

- the completeness of the information related to each key

- the capability to share repositories with other users

- the organization of entries in (custom) folders

- the shortcuts to copy username and passwords just double clicking

What do you dislike?

- The need to explicitly save when some entry is added or changed and the user interface.

- I hate also when I forgot the application open and the app doesn't requires me the password, I think it would be better that after a number of seconds of inactivity the application should require the main password.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Unless the software doesn't seems to be modern and user friendly, it is very well structured: the user experience is good, the objective of the application are reached well and the software is really well structured and is solid.

I can store every username-password key and organize it in categories or repositories, private or shared with others.

KeePass review by Kayla H.
Kayla H.

"Once it's all set up, it's a great tool!"

What do you like best?

This is a great password management tool. I like that it will create very secure, randomized passwords and keep them protected and organized.

What do you dislike?

Getting the database set up is time consuming, and if people aren't very text savvy, it's confusing to get the program downloaded onto the different computers.

We have a lot of passwords and different employees need access to different ones. We organize databases and files so that each employee has access to the right ones.

KeePass review by User in Higher Education

"Best open-source, self-hosted password locker"

What do you like best?

The best parts of KeePass are the 1) total control you have over the passwords, their generation, parameters, etc., and 2) the plugin system. It's very easy to "tool" your KeePass for your particular needs, e.g. two-factor authentication, Yubikey, cloud sync, etc.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately the client is written in C#, which makes the desktop GUI unattractive on non-Windows platforms. Thankfully Mono is at the point now where it's not too bad to run on Linux, though it does crash occasionally.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that you are aware of the limitations of KeePass when it comes to enterprise deployments; users must be empowered to utilize the entire functionality of KeePass themselves.

The problem to be solved here is: How does one manage all the passwords that one has to keep track of, for personal and business use, and still remain secure? KeePass offers enough functionality and security to solve both aspects.

KeePass review by Rafael A.
Rafael A.

"Sys admin of a big data center"

What do you like best?

It's simplicity and flexibility. Also it's multi platform and the new Android app s really great.

They have a tons of useful plugins that worth to check out

What do you dislike?

Just one thing, thou it's cloud compatible, it has no access restriction, they should implement a cloud server that could compete strongly with others market leader technologies with not much effort.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just download and play with it before start to using directly... Reordering groups and so can be annoying with a large db

Team collaboration.

Large data centers.

Securing system credentials.

If a g2crowd reviewer read this. The Android app doesn't let you take a screenshot with the app open.

KeePass review by User in Translation and Localization
User in Translation and Localization

"It covers my password management needs completely"

What do you like best?

It's open-source and well used, thus safe, and free.

It works on all platforms.

It stores passwords safely, generates safe passwords if needed, even has a plugin system.

I didn't encounter any problems during my use of the software for >5 years on Windows and Android.

Just does its thing.

As an active netizen and a software developer, handling myriads of personal & professional passwords would be painful without a password manager, resulting in reusing a few relatively safe passwords.

With a password manager however, it's not a problem to use different and very secure passwords for every occasion. Using it is not even an inconvenience, once you're finished adding all accounts (and perhaps setting a new, unique password or passphrase for each and every one of them).

KeePass review by User in Airlines/Aviation
User in Airlines/Aviation

"Helpful Application"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and user-friendly, and has a simple setup/mask. It solves one of my main headaches at work, which is the requirement to regularly create new passwords for all different platforms.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike about this application. It is user-friendly and has all necessary functionalities you need to store and manage your passwords.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can highly recommend KeePass. I have never had any issues, it always works, you can access it quickly, and it is very easy to use (no training needed).

I have to create many different passwords for different platforms and applications, and renew them regularly. KeePass helps me store all passwords and update them easily. It is easy to access and maintain.

KeePass review by Taylor P.
Taylor P.

"Free, Open Source password manager."

What do you like best?

It is open source, which is always a plus - you can be sure that the encryption is implemented properly, and it is less likely to have unreported holes in it.

What do you dislike?

The interface isn't the greatest, and it isn't cross platform (although there are ports). It also doesn't handle syncing the password database files, so you have to roll your own solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Remember that the kdb (password database files) does not get stored anywhere but your local machine by default - you are in charge of syncing it and ensuring backups, consistency, etc.

Storing passwords in a secure manner is very important for a business. We used keepass to store enterprise secrets such as root credentials to AWS, shared logins to 3rd-party services, etc. Keepass allowed us to share these credentials without having to spread them around in plaintext.

KeePass review by Alejandro M.
Alejandro M.

"Best solution for your users and passwords"

What do you like best?

The integration with all the software in your PC. You can use KeePass with Windows apps, browser apps and also there are great solutions for Android and iOS.

What do you dislike?

As KeePass keep track of the webpages that are requesting a user and password, sometimes you have to add different pages for a single system.

Using very strong passwords autogenerated

"Keepass a Life saver"

What do you like best?

This is a handy tool for storing passwords with a group of IT people.

What do you dislike?

TRying to remember where the master file is on the server and to sync is always a hassle

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its great for storing passwords.

We have a group of IT support people that require access to the different software and systems usernames and passwords which we update from time to time but don't always have time to notify everyone. This makes sure we all have the right info and avoids lockouts.

KeePass review by Ralph H.
Ralph H.

"Simple, but effective offline password management"

What do you like best?

Simple interface, encrypted local storage. Auto-type feature works great and can be adapted for more complicated login forms.

What do you dislike?

Program automatically backs up deleted entries, which appear twice in search results. Can be a little confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Simple, secure password management. Only feature lacking is sync or web-based access, but data is stored as a single file and is locked against concurrent access, so it is trivial to sync using Dropbox or any other file sync program.

Password management, with as little data transmitted over the wire as possible. This has the benefit of allowing complex, secure passwords or time wasted on password lookups and resets.

KeePass review by User in Computer Software

"Manual Password Management"

What do you like best?

I like that it's free! That's the major draw of Keepass. You can quickly create very strong passwords and keep them organized. The interface is straight forward.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the lack of a mobile app and lack of a chrome extension. Everything with this password manager is completely manual besides the password generation. But a shortage of features is to be expected, it's a free open source project after all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is limited on features but it might be all you need. Give it a look, it's free!

This was my first password manager, I've since moved up to a more profession solution. This open source tool is great for people who don't want to pay extra for password management. Keepass helped me learn to be careful with my passwords and to keep them varied.

KeePass review by Valentyn B.
Valentyn B.

"Free, convenient, multiplatform password manager"

What do you like best?

Using KeePass + httpclient website passwords are not a problem anymore. Password database can be stored at any cloud storage, for example DropBox and you can use it from nearly any device.

What do you dislike?

There is no official client for Mac OS X, there is no support of keychain import.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try to use it on multiple platforms with cloud storage. Periodically backup your KeePass database. If you don't do it - it can be lost. Periodically change master password on KeyPass database.

Use KeePass http client.

First of all - security. It prevents collegues to use the same password on different services.

KeePass review by Rich E.
Rich E.

"Excellent product works cross platform as well"

What do you like best?

I am able to use this to capture my passwords, works like a charm on Windows. Then I can use google drive to share the password file, enabling me to open it on iOS, on OSX and I can then access the files and keep them synced across different systems. Of course, I have to use different program to open it on a mac. The easiest to use is still Keypass.

What do you dislike?

There is a nice custom feature, allowing you to add your own variables, however this isn't consistent for understanding the variables across the platforms and it isn't obvious it is there.

My business problem is avoiding remembering passwords as well as not keeping them in the cloud, at least where a bunch of other passwords for other users as kept (like Lastpass)

KeePass review by Jacopo V.
Jacopo V.

"Keepass review"

What do you like best?

It is open source, so no backdoors there should be, you can have categories

What do you dislike?

Interface it is a little 90's, search finds only items which names are exactly as in search field, no multi device support

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use Dropbox or Google drive to sync keepass just pay attention not to open it in 2 different devices or there will be two copies in conflict

Storing all the passwords in one protected and organized place

KeePass review by Jiahao L.
Jiahao L.

"Excellent tool for managing usernames and passwords"

What do you like best?

Easy to setup accounts with username and passwords.

Fairly simple UI with not too many buttons.

Ability to use KeePass on Android - functions just as well ask the desktop version.

Ability to auto generate a password.

Ability to use a key file + password for extra security on the locker.

What do you dislike?

UI might be a little outdated - some features can be better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend the initial time to setup a structure for the accounts to maintain the consistency.

I can have different complex passwords for each of my accounts without needing to remember all of them.

KeePass review by Ryan B.
Ryan B.

"Excellent"

What do you like best?

Being able to store password securely with a host of features that are available

What do you dislike?

Sometimes takes a bit of settings setup and understanding of the features

Central storage of all business passwords without them just being remembered

KeePass review by User

"Excellent under .NET, problematic under Mono"

What do you like best?

I host my own password database. I don't have to trust Lastpass, which has been breached recently, or anyone else. Plus, the selection of plugins is pretty impressive.

What do you dislike?

Under Mono, the interface is ugly, and it throws SSL-related errors from time to time (I host the database on my own server and retrieve it via WebDAV).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Right now, there is no other choice. But KeepassX is catching up with Keepasshttp support. Currently they lack support for merging databases, opening databases from network and something like KeeAgent. But they seem to be heading in the right direction.

Keepass allows me to store sensitive information and provides a fairly convenient interface to access it. As far as I know, it has no viable alternatives.

KeePass review by Martin S.
Martin S.

"Simple but powerful cross-platform password management"

What do you like best?

Keepass allows you to keep your password file out there accessible to anyone and yet be safe. The password file is encrypted and can be loaded on a variety of platforms from a variety of sources (USB stick, Google Drive, Microsoft Onecloud, etc).

What do you dislike?

The integration with browsers and the phone could be better.

I need to keep a lot of separate passwords organized and handy. They have to be available quickly when I use a new platform without leaving unsecured information behind.

KeePass review by Rodrigo N.
Rodrigo N.

"The cross-platform password app that works better for me"

What do you like best?

I have been using KeePass X (https://www.keepassx.org) for the last 3 years and it has been the password that best accommodates my needs. It is:

- platform agnostic

- compatible with several iOS apps

- syncs with my database file via dropbox

- can carry my encrypted password database in a flash drive

What do you dislike?

I wish it were updated more often (keepass X went a couple of years without being updated).

Storing and generating strong passwords for thousands of websites and apps.

KeePass review by Swati G.
Swati G.

"Keepass - My Password Manager"

What do you like best?

Keepass is an awesome tool, it stores all my passwords in a best secure way. Best way is I can launch the URL with the credentials directly from the keepass

What do you dislike?

Oh its a wonderful tool, No problems with keepass

Recommendations to others considering the product

its very secure and best tool to avoid any password theft

we are making our-self secure by keeping passwords in keepass and not saving in browser

KeePass review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Good application for securing passwords "

What do you like best?

Opensource application and you will have all the data in your localdisk. All we have to do is to remember one password and be done with it. We are currently trying out this product and I personally myself find it very useful rather than remembering all the passwords.

What do you dislike?

User interface is not so good. Sometimes if the xml file is missing, then you will end up losing all your data that you entered earlier and have to start from scratch. There might be a possibility that the xml file can get corrupted as well. Had a hard time getting a keepassx dmg file for mac operating system.

However when you trace xml, the passwords and username are in clear text rather than encrypted format.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best tool if you consider saving your passwords with an ease to use it. Highly recommend this product for other companies.

Having a single sign on solution is very useful for any business. Since that is not in place, this tool plays a vital role in saving the URL, username and password.

KeePass review by User in Investment Management
User in Investment Management

"Great password manager. And open-source!"

What do you like best?

KeePass is one of the most secure password managers in my opinion. Because when you use KeePass, you know that its algorithms are open to read to anyone and that you can be sure that there are no government-sponsored backdoors in it. This is a really important factor in today's day and age with cyber crime steadily on the rise. Backdoors can not only be exploited by the "good" guys (US intelligence services), but also by the bad guys (hackers trying to steal your identity).

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately there is no official Mac client available yet. However, it is possible to use the password database basically anywhere, but you have to use a slightly different software to do so. On Mac OSX there is KeePassX, for example.

The homepage could be a little bit better, though, and tell the user about other software projects in and around the KeePass universe.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's only truly cross-platform if you consider these pieces of software as a whole system, even though they are from different people:

- KeePass for Windows

- KeePassX for OSX

- Keepass2Android Password Safe for Android

But that's the beauty of open-source. Everybody can pitch in to make something useful together!

It is completely insecure to rely on the same or similar passwords across multiple services. That way the compromise of one unlocks all the others and sends you into chaos.

KeePass is the only thing that helps me keep track of all the different passwords that I use to avoid this.

KeePass review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Control what to do with your passwords"

What do you like best?

- I decide what to do with the password database (kdb/kdbx file).

- Data does not go into 3rd party servers (unless you do it by yourself).

- Different options to handle the database (Kepass, KepassX, MacPass, MiniKeepass, etc).

- Open Source.

- DB's are easy to maintain and use, just select the account, copy the user, then the password and you're done.

- You can copy the info without having to showing it into the screen.

- Helps to generate string passwords, shows info of how secure they are as you save them.

- The main focus is for accounts (username+password), but it also allows you to include notes, files or any other custom field for that important data you want to save.

- Databases can be secure by a master password or a secure file. Make sure you don't lose/share that file!

What do you dislike?

- Poor support on browsers (speaking of plugins).

- Not all the clients are open source.

- If your DB file gets corrupted, you may lose all your passwords.

Recommendations to others considering the product

- May be difficult to use the first time

- Make sure you find the correct client for you, sometimes people tend to download the KeePass app without knowing there are other options to handle the KeePass file.

- I don't like the idea of using a single password for all my accounts, so I used to save them in a piece of paper. KeePass helps to encrypt that piece of paper in a digital source and also helps you finding the account the moment I need it.

- I only have to remember 1 single password, so I can make sure it's the strongest I use, if for some reason I need to change multiple passwords, it helps me creating them and I just save them instantly.

KeePass review by User in Financial Services

"Excellent Product for Ease and Safety"

What do you like best?

I switched to KeePass in May, after my laptop had to undergo major recovery. This is amazing, much easier than the previous program I used. It automatically locks after so many minutes without use.

What do you dislike?

So far I have no complaints! I am a user, so not sure about the price or admin portions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it, so much safer and easy to use!

This allows storage of passwords, but keeps them hidden while still allowing you to copy and paste. The program also locks on it's own, to prevent someone unauthorized use. I highly recommend this, as a safe password storage solution!

KeePass review by Frederik Fredslund L.
Frederik Fredslund L.

"Lovely software, great idea - and surprisingly good execution. "

What do you like best?

The open source nature of the software is critical to it's success, and that is where it stands out from the rest.

What do you dislike?

The Windows-based nature of the software can be a bit cumbersome to deal with - more so, I use mac, thus I have begun to use MacPass instead, which is compatible with KeePass.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look up alternative implementations, when the original software is poorly support or unsupported on your platform, eg. Mac / Android.

Being able to sleep at night due to the nature of using one password, and one password only, for each and every site I use, thus not having one site compromise the security of another.

KeePass review by Administrator

"Robust open-sourse cross-platform (windows, nix, android) soultion for password management"

What do you like best?

Open sourse.

Cross-platform.

Plugins.

Usability.

Perfectly fits personal password management requirements.

What do you dislike?

Development velocity could be more smooth. But similar situation with almost all open source solutions.

Different platform solutions provided by different developers, so cross-platform use cases can be limited.

But basic cross-platform compatibility on read-only level exists. In 99% cases it is enough, because basicaly only one device is used to password database editing. Others are read only.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Perfect open source personal password management solution.

Password management and robust password base encryption wito composite key and standard well known and widely used encryption algorithms. Passwords security and passwords autofill functionality (through plugins and browser extensions, for example).

KeePass review by Jeremy N.
Jeremy N.

"Very good product "

What do you like best?

Simple and cross platform windows Mac Android iPhone. Password gen is useful. I run several vaults.

What do you dislike?

Can't remote lock for if you want to kick a user out. They can back up the file and then you can't change the password on a file they have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it, recommend it to your friends and family.

I can store several thousand passwords in a secure file in Drop box and access it anywhere.

KeePass review by Derek E.
Derek E.

"I've been using KeePass to store all of my passwords for about four years."

What do you like best?

Ease of use and the ability to have my passwords encrypted. Quite nice since you can secure it with both a password and key file.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if there was an online version I could tie into it with. But I suppose LastPass fills that niche.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Nice and simple. Easy to use. Secure.

I don't have to write my passwords down or store them insecurely somewhere.

KeePass review by Riccardo I.
Riccardo I.

"This software solved all the daily password-related problems"

What do you like best?

It keeps all the password in one place, you have to remember just one password, it can generate safe password and you can schedule the password generation. Can copy on the fly passwords and user names and paste them whereever you want, i love this software.

What do you dislike?

Maybe the user interface could be enhaced, it is a little bit in the 90's mood

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you got daily password-related problems just like me, install it and forget all the passwords

I installed it on each computer in my office because people kept forgetting their passwords, this solved the problem, and many of them keep thank me

KeePass review by Administrator in Telecommunications
Administrator in Telecommunications

"Great password vault"

What do you like best?

Easy and secure access across multiple locations

What do you dislike?

Not able to find a good Windows 10 version

Saving multiple account passwords that are unique along with login credentials, descriptions, and access addresses. See many benefits in being able to save all passwords in one location and not having to try and look them up in different sposts.

KeePass review by Sudhakar D.
Sudhakar D.

"Experience was good but being closed system its hard how secured it is"

What do you like best?

Its open source and all my password is stored in local db which is much better. It also provides flexibility to use it on my own server or on cloud storage and can be used on any device

What do you dislike?

Being open source constant updates coming up and installing the system is little difficult task.

Storing password safe and encrypted at our own storage servers or on our own local device

KeePass review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Keeps all the servers we support in reach for fast access"

What do you like best?

Easy set up and secure interface. It's very easy to access the hundreds of server we support for quick login

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I dislike about KeePass

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once set up you will have your servers and URLs at your fingertips

We keep access info for hundreds of servers listed for fast access

KeePass review by User in Financial Services

"Awesome product"

What do you like best?

I use this at work and at home, great secure system that allows you to store user names and passwords, as well as the url to the website.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, I enjoy it very much - much better that keeping passwords on paper

Recommendations to others considering the product

great way to keep passwords secure!

Nothing

KeePass review by Tommy B.
Tommy B.

"Old school"

What do you like best?

KeePass is very secure since you own the database file, and you can create a very complex master key. You can create multiple type of password, and generate very complex password when needed.

What do you dislike?

The database file need to be synched manually (the plugins don't really work). You cannot share with team mate. Sometimes you get lost when you have multiple database version

Recommendations to others considering the product

You may want to evaluate more reach solution. LassPass for hosted, Password Vault Manager (Devolutions) for on-prem.

Secure password! Don't use spreadsheet or text files

KeePass review by User

"KeePass: a lightweight, no-frills password manager"

What do you like best?

The simplicity and ease of use. It's not bogged down with extra features and does exactly what I need it to do.

What do you dislike?

Being unable to upload my passwords into the cloud somewhere so that I could access them from, say, my phone, but that's not what the software was designed for anyway.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind that there's no cloud component (it's just a standalone software), so your passwords will only be stored on the computer that you use Keepass on.

It just makes personal password management easy.

KeePass review by Tilfried W.
Tilfried W.

"KeePass"

What do you like best?

small, lightweight, portable, flexible (multiple database support), 2 factor authentication, auto-type username/passwords, remember history, add notes and files to credentials, auto-generate passwords

What do you dislike?

move entries between different databases is not easy

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the portable/desktop edition. Put the key on memory-sticks and hand them out to the people requiring access to the credential database(s). Assign a complex password as additional (2-factor) authentication. So one must know the password and have the stick to be able to access the data.

keeping credentials secure, but available to the complete IT staff, based on access-level

KeePass review by Arseniy K.
Arseniy K.

"Free alternative to popular password managers"

What do you like best?

- Free

- Open source

- Comes recommended by Ed Snowden

What do you dislike?

- Slightly dated and not really user-friendly UI

- Lack of integrations out of the box, as opposed to 1Password (with browser extensions and mobile apps)

Looking for a cheaper solution with an ability to co-operate on the password storage, as opposed to LastPass. Ended up with 1Password for Teams, due to seamless browsers integration, and cloud syncs for vaults.

On the usability side, there is however a good interface on top of Keypass https://github.com/antelle/keeweb

KeePass review by David W.
David W.

"Simple, Secure and Effective Password Management Tool"

What do you like best?

Simplicity. Keepass has exactly what is needed in a password management tool and nothing more.

What do you dislike?

The interface, while effective, is dated.

Keypass provides a secure method to store usernames and passwords for the miriad systems the modern employee uses on a daily basis without sacrificing security.

KeePass review by Jason W.
Jason W.

"Great solution to use all unique and complex passwords"

What do you like best?

When key file is placed in Dropbox, I can access my passwords from any device.

What do you dislike?

User interface is a bit dated, could be a little more polished.

managing unique and complex passwords while keeping them in a secure and accessible spot.

KeePass review by Mohit S.
Mohit S.

"Secured password management"

What do you like best?

Efficient and organized way to store password. Tools to help improve existing password and eliminate duplicates.

What do you dislike?

The setup may seem cumbersome at first. Dropbox integration would be an added benefit.

Password management across teams and organizations.

KeePass review by User

"Simple, Secure, and Easy to Use"

What do you like best?

I like the simplicity of this tool and the fact that it is secure and trustworthy. We use it regularly and cannot imagine doing without it.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything that I would find worth criticizing about this product. We decided to use KeePass because our requirements were simple and straightforward, and it meets every one.

We are using KeePass as our secure, central repository for service account credentials.

KeePass review by Administrator in Computer Software

"KEEPASS is a great Tool that everyone should have"

What do you like best?

Very easy to use. Stores and creates passwords of all lengths. Can easy transport on a USB drive and doesnt take up much space.. can assign a password for you.

What do you dislike?

nothing I really dont like, except the fact that I did not find this earlier in my career. This is a great tool. No if I only had an app version of this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, you wont be disappointed

Helps people remember their passwords. saves time for our IT staff from resetting and unlocking accounts due to lost passwords.

KeePass review by Matt S.
Matt S.

"Does what it is intended to do."

What do you like best?

Keeps passwords secure and reliably accessible.

What do you dislike?

The interface could be more intuitive. It is a bit clunky.

Nice tidy place for all our most important passwords.

KeePass review by User in Gambling & Casinos
User in Gambling & Casinos

"Great product, and like the open format, but lacks polish"

What do you like best?

I like having an open format that I can use a variety of different clients for, and across lots of platforms as well (Mac, PC, iOS and Android).

What do you dislike?

Integrations with e.g. browsers aren't always there - I've been on a mostly unsupported branch on my Mac to get Chrome integration for months

From password manager virgin, I now have quality passwords on most accounts, which is a big upgrade

KeePass review by Jesús Noehi P.
Jesús Noehi P.

"All your passwords in one place"

What do you like best?

It allows you to create different categories.

What do you dislike?

That It cant be opened buenas varios propietarios at the same time

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great program yo hace your passwords on

Passwords database

KeePass review by Administrator in Higher Education
Administrator in Higher Education

"Every day use of Keepass for various accounts and access tokens"

What do you like best?

I really like the keyfile feature so I can sync my kdb password database file across the cloud. The keyfile I never transmit through the cloud.

Second, I really like the auto insert feature (Ctrl+V) that really makes the use a breeze.

What do you dislike?

KeepassX does not automatically lock itself when I suspend my laptop and wake it up from suspend. Somehow the timer does sleep too.

Fundamental research.

KeePass review by User in Computer & Network Security
User in Computer & Network Security

"overall secure, and easy to use"

What do you like best?

flexibility of customizing password. can choose to use uppercase, lowercase, numbers even special characters. Also, its free and open source.

What do you dislike?

too many setting options can be confusing

Not having to remember too many different passwords. This is safe and saves me time as I don't have to do forget password when I return to a site after a long time.

"Easy to use"

What do you like best?

I use it both at work and at home. The portable version is great to keep your personal password safe and with you at all times.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if it had some additional options such as two-factor authentication or security questions in case you forget the master password.

Generating and storing secure passwords.