KeyCreator

KeyCreator Direct CAD software allows designers and manufacturers to create and edit designs quickly, regardless of what CAD system created the design or how it was constructed. This saves hours in fixing CAD files.

Work for KeyCreator?

Learning about KeyCreator?

KeyCreator Reviews

Ask KeyCreator a Question
Showing 79 KeyCreator reviews
KeyCreator review by Steve V.
Steve V.

"I have Used this Software for 18 years. KeyCreator Has made me sought after :) - I Love it !!!"

What do you like best?

I can work with "ANY" Cad , native or imported as if it were my own, instantly.

I can out preform co-workers in several aspects of design, very easily, and as much as I would like to say / think its me ????????? It is the ease of the software to learn and to use...... Hotkeys are amazing tools that accent a good design practice.

What do you dislike?

There is a MAJOR downfall - sort of-.

1) Well, ---- design and changes are SO easy and fast to do, you tend to do them live during a design review meetings. After customers see how fast and easy changes are they expect faster turn around times and less cost.

I DO NOT dislike any portion or aspect of this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will complete more for a lower cost.

I tackle design concepts concurrently while completing final Prototype / Production weld tools daily. The benefits are endless / limitless.

* I can import almost ALL cad formats and work with them as if I drew them.

* I can modify geometry very easily and effectively

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about KeyCreator
KeyCreator review by Michael Dean L.
Michael Dean L.

"All I Want is My KeyCreator"

What do you like best?

The speed and simplicity with which you create designs. I don't have to worry about "design intent", or spend countless hours pre-thinking the build (so as to put features in the "proper" order). Nearly as quick as an idea comes to mind, the model begins to takes shape. It's also nice to know that I can remove part of the model without having to worry about the model crashing, because of broken "parent/child relationships".

But probably the most helpful (and over looked) tool within KeyCreator, is the ability to do simple, 2D drafting. This means I can draw a quick concept sketch, to figure out the right geometry, before extruding, lofting, revolving, etc. This is often a lot faster than grabbing a calculator and "doing the math". It's all about "time to market", right? The faster you can perfect the design, the faster you can move that design to market. You can't design any faster that "Direct".

By the way... I'm proficient in Solidworks also. I'll take KeyCreator any day.

What do you dislike?

I've run into issues in the past, mostly with KeyCreator's layout mode. But really, I haven't had a complaint in quite some time. So either Kubotek has cured the bugs, or I've figured out what I'm doing. Whichever, I've been very please with the product over the last few releases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't rely on the developer's "canned" demos when investigating which CAD software to go with. The reason being, is because these demos have been done so often, they could do them in their sleep. They have the steps down pat and, therefore, LOOK impressive. The real test is to have them create one of YOUR parts, from scratch, on the spot. Choose a part that isn't too taxing, but not too simple, either. You want to see what the software will do, without making the rep sweat... too much. Take a 2D drawing in with you and ask them to "model this". Ideally, take two, or even three, drawing revisions of the part. Start off with the original. Then, when that is completed, ask them to make each revision, in order. Now you'll get a true idea of which CAD system is faster, easier... and better.

I work in a custom molding shop. We originally started using Cadkey in 1997. But in 2003 switched (against my wishes) to Solidworks. However, I've kept my single seat of Cadkey/KeyCreator current (At my own cost, I might add.). And it's a good thing too. Because we get customer CAD models, from various CAD sources, all the time. Only KeyCreator allows me to revise and modify these customer models as needed, when needed. Customers are often surprised how quickly I can revise a part and get it back to them for review.

And if a model comes in that needs healing, well... you can try it in other CAD programs. But I won't promise the same kind of success you'd get from KeyCreator.

And lastly, KeyCreator is head & shoulders above the competition when it comes to speed. I can create a model in a fraction of the time it would take in a parametric modeler. Again, speed is king.

What Product and Machine Design solution do you use?

KeyCreator review by Keith S.
Keith S.

"All the bells and whistles"

What do you like best?

The program is by far the easiest I have ever used and the translators are amazing. I can easily import a CAD file from a competing software and edit features, holes, etc. in the model as if it was created in KeyCreator! There are no special settings for this, it just works.

What do you dislike?

A number of the sub packages you would expect from CAD software (sheet metal for example) are either lacking or non existent however I will admit that these continue to improve.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are on the fence about purchasing an easy to use CAD package, look no further. There are no parametrics to deal with just straight forward modeling in an easy to use package for a price that is not off the chart.

The software is so simple to use and get up to speed on that we can literally teach anyone to use it in a few hours. I have trained new employees with little or no CAD experience to use this software in a few hours and after a week on the job they are deigning things all by themselves.

KeyCreator review by brian v.
brian v.

"Manager/Designer"

What do you like best?

The best thing is ease of use and no history constraints. Working with customer part data is simple, quick, and sometimes effortless. Mould designs can be very quickly produced, and re-using components from previous designs are a snap.

What do you dislike?

Just one thing, and its not much, it is the esthetics of the "Layer/Level" tab. I wish you could customize it with separators and colours, and bold text for parent levels, etc... When their is lots of levels, and child levels, etc... it is often hard to distinguish where you are with only 2 alternating colours. Thats it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don.t think twice about it, Keycreator is the one to rule them all.

Mould design, Part design, and pneumatic machine design. With keycreator we can prepare all cnc data models quicker and better than any cam software, for us we do this then tanslate to the cam software, and very quickly create tolpaths with the models and curves pre defined.

KeyCreator review by Sean D.
Sean D.

"Unsure of what is being asked here."

What do you like best?

The ability to design in direct modeling is a big plus, importing many file types is a must for me. Functions like prune are great (but needs improvement).

What do you dislike?

Older interface, needs to improve almost all functions to use dyna handles, and reduce amount of clicks to accomplish commands. Although direct modeling is overall superior, the lack of any parametric capabilities and history does take away some capabilities that would be very useful in mold design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's great product, but good useful development is a bit stagnant at the moment. Increased improvement in surfacing tools and solids quality is badly needed. They need to stop focusing on more obsolete type functions. For example, last release touted improvements to dimensioning and arrow heads. We don't care about this stuff anymore, we need stronger 3D tools and any dimensioning an notes enhancements need to be to make dimensioning in 3D with model shaded better for use in PPT presentations.

Being able to import anyone's data is key.

KeyCreator review by Aaron E.
Aaron E.

"KeyCreator is a very powerful direct modeling CAD software"

What do you like best?

I use KeyCreator on a daily basis to both create models from scratch as well as edit customer supplied models. The tools available in KeyCreator to manipulate both original geometry and customer supplied models are like a Swiss army knife. There are a robust set of tools to create simple sheet metal parts as well as complex parts destined for our 5-axis CNC machining center. I like that KeyCreator offers a full array of translators so that no matter what file format we receive from a customer we are able to work with it.

What do you dislike?

Where KeyCreator falls short is in its layout tools. There are occasional issues with dimensions becoming disassociated with geometry that has been manipulated in model mode. I also wish there were more robust tools for creating section views or showing slicing/cutting plane views. Sometimes there are unexpected results when using the unfolding tools in KeyCreator, but they can usually be solved by addressing a single bend at a time instead of a group of bends all at once.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a vast library of on-line, on-demand, tutorials called KeyCreator University. Don't miss out on these! They are an excellent resource whether you are a new user or a power user. I recently used the University lessons to learn how to model the motion of gears on a project that I was working on, and I was very satisfied with how easy it was to learn a set of tools I had previously been unfamiliar with.

Importing different file types to be able to manipulate models for 5-axis machining is probably the biggest benefit we have realize by using KeyCreator. Designing fixtures for welding, drilling, and other operations is another huge benefit of using KeyCreator That being said, we primarily use KeyCreator for sheetmetal flat pattern development, and it does a great job at that.

KeyCreator review by Cliff H.
Cliff H.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

I can design the way I want to. Some designs use a lot of external references (parts from vendors that I don't want modified). Some use a lot of custom parts. Also all of the the 2D details reside in the same file as the model so I don't have to manage a huge database when the project gets large. Editing designs when a customer makes changes very rarely requires a complete redesign or start from scratch.

What do you dislike?

Animation is sometimes hard to setup. I rarely do animation but in the past year I had a clamping fixture that had to work in a sequence. Even after going through the video's I was never able to get the sequence to complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Compare features, find something similar to the majority of the work you need to do and compare designing it with the software you are considering. Ask experienced users to look at what you are doing and consider their feedback. Ultimately you will be responsible for using the software so it has to fit the way you work.

I design and build custom equipment for manufacturing. Rarely are the machines even close to the same but there are always parts that I can copy and paste from one design to another and with direct editing get what I need fairly quickly.

KeyCreator review by Brian J.
Brian J.

"KeyCreator is an excellent tool for design. It' s interoperability is one of it's many strengths."

What do you like best?

I like KeyCreator's ease of use and customization. The free form modeling is a powerful tool for me. I use it to easily create contoured parting lines for complicated molds. There are times when I am in a meeting that I take engineers models from other cad systems and change them right in front of them to make them moldable. They tell me "that would have taken me hours to change, and you just did it in minutes."

What do you dislike?

It's not free! I would like to see it offered more in educational settings. There is not a lot of user group activities that I am aware of.

Recommendations to others considering the product

KeyCreator doesn't do everything, but it does quite a bit. You will be very suprised at how much it can do.

I am able to design plastic injection molds quickly. KeyCreator gives me an edge over my competition. I get things out on the shop floor fast.

KeyCreator review by Mark V.
Mark V.

"KeyCreator is great for contractors"

What do you like best?

The biggest two advantages of KeyCreator both relate to its ability to use imported data from a multitude of sources. They are, its very good translation abilities, and its direct modelling approach. Just the thing for contractors who don't have the luxury of using only their own data, but are constantly using data obtained from sundry sources. And excellent even if you only use your own data.

What do you dislike?

KeyCreator cannot fully use all the resources of a powerful computer (multiple CPU cores, top level graphics cards). Greater performance is a key requirement

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very good and capable CAD product, easy to learn and use and with some big advantages over opposition products.

Complex solid modelling and design problems, mainly in injection moulding. KeyCreator is a very good package to solve these problems.

KeyCreator review by User in Defense & Space
User in Defense & Space

"Keycreator in tooling fabrication"

What do you like best?

Keycreator's ability to be able to bring in complex surface and solid model geometry from any neutral solid and create tooling. KC allows us to turn CAD models into CNC machined aluminum tooling better than any other CAD program we have ever worked with.

We are a job shop, so we deal with all of the popular CAD programs, and Keycreator handles them all nicely.

What do you dislike?

The only real down side to Keycreator is that it does not have the high end rendering capabilities commonly found in other packages like Solidworks, but it does not come with all of the associated headaches of history based design either, so we stick with Keycreator because we like geometry based design.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be fooled by the hype of history based modelers like Solidworks and CATIA. Keycreator allows you to get in and work on other designers geometry and quickly and accurately create tooling and fabricate parts.

Keycreator is cost effective and efficient.

We are a job shop, and have to handle many new models each year. Keycreator allows us to rapidly design and fabricate tooling with extremely complex geometry with relative ease.

KeyCreator review by User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Design Freedom "

What do you like best?

I like the versatility that KeyCreator allows in CAD design. I can make changes to my model separate from a model tree which I really like. The surfacing functions in KeyCreator are really great! I also like that through the years KeyCreator has been continually improving their software and there is a lot of room for growth with the foundation that they have.

What do you dislike?

There are occasions where a standard part or design would be better suited for a model tree file construction and certain features of the design process would be better if they were parametric. Such as adding holes as features that don't destroy the underlying solid. I feel that the animation package leaves a lot to be desired as its a little clunky and could be made more user friendly. I also feel that the software still needs to be a lot faster than it is. Designers are making ever more complex part designs and as those file sizes are growing the software gets laggy despite having one of the best graphics cards on the market.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Depending on your design needs KeyCreator is a great choice. It is great if you want flexibility of design and freedom to make changes without struggling with a parametric model tree.

KeyCreator is very suitable for mold design because it allows the freedom to build the parting surfaces, cavity, and core shapes very quickly with more design intent. This is thanks to the surfacing capabilities and freedom of design.

KeyCreator review by Jon L.
Jon L.

"Keycreator - Capable, Flexible full featured mechanical design tool"

What do you like best?

For my needs - primarily structural and mechanical design ( plus detailing) Keycreator has a wide set of tools that allow me get my designs completed quickly. I was able to learn primarily w/o training - on the job - when I changed positions and Keycreator was the tool of choice for the new job.

What do you dislike?

Some of my product design could be benefited by animation of the function. I find the animation capability lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are many choices available today - make a good evaluation of your needs before selecting any design tools. Keycreator is good for me but it may not be the choice for everyone.

Product design - see info in previous questions

Library of frequently used components - improved inventory optimization.

KeyCreator review by Heiner P.
Heiner P.

"Best CAD platform available."

What do you like best?

The platform can open any file, and work with it as if it was native. Speed of making changes is 90% faster than any other program. it is super stable and crashes 1-2 times a year. (And you know what you did to make it do that...) Support is super responsive.

What do you dislike?

The FEA suite was discontinued... Very sad only. I use FEA every day, so I must keep an older version installed next to my latest version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best platform if you make rapid changes, and deal with other platforms.

I am able to work seamlessly with all my customers which all use different platforms. I can edit, and return any CAD sent so there is no ambiguity with what I want done.

KeyCreator review by Mark B.
Mark B.

"Indespensible and affordable"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use along with the powerful functionality.

We have designed over $50 million worth of equipment using KeyCreator with great success.

We use it to model as well as detail very complex mechanisms.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about KeyCreator. Added functionality such as a high-end animation package would only add cost. KeyCreator does perfectly well for what it is marketed to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gets you right where you need to be as far as productivity and profitability

As a small company we were able to afford 7 seats. The reasonable AUC cost is a big deal in running a cost-effective operation.

"Great 3D software"

What do you like best?

The software is very easy to use. It is based on the old CadKey software and you can still use the old menus if you want to.

It is also customizable using macro's to do 1-click menu items for repetitive tasks.

What do you dislike?

On the last update, when i imported my settings, some did not seem to work the same as they did in the last version, primarily in layout mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is easy to learn and use. and has very good translators so you can import from almost any other cad program.

I use KeyCreator to design new products as well as converting all of the old 2D AutoCad files into 3D solid models. This has allowed us to do renderings for our customers to show them realistic layouts for their Dog Parks.

KeyCreator review by User

"It is great for data translation and some editing"

What do you like best?

The program is very easy to use and extremely easy to custom to you. The program is also very useful for editing or adding to new or existing geometry.

What do you dislike?

The program occasionally is too customizable, sometimes the program alters the tool bar setup on accident if I drag it when I am trying to work faster. It would be nice for a lock function on it that is easy to use

Recommendations to others considering the product

The data translation function is super nice, it is also great for creating or altering geometry

The program is most useful for us to create center-lines so that we can import them into another program to assign beam properties to it. The most useful program we have found for that use

KeyCreator review by Peter F.
Peter F.

"Awesome!"

What do you like best?

The user friendly interface provides a great platform for modelling complex products. The "Direct CAD" style KeyCreator software provides the freedom to make drastic design changes at any stage of the design phase of a project. Concept changes have never been easier! The interoperability between various CAD systems is a added advantage for a contract shop or freelance design facility.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if KeyCreator could add some emphasis on developing its reverse engineering capabilities as the use of 3D Scanners and 3D Printers are rapidly becoming common practice in the manufacturing industry.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Capable CAD/CAM software at a reasonable price.

KeyCreator is a cost effective CAD solution that provides an all round CAD solution and excellent "bang for your buck"

KeyCreator review by Steve K.
Steve K.

"Complete KC newbie here"

What do you like best?

What I've seen this software do is startlingly amazing. Also, file sizes are cut in half. No worries about history. It's like no more karma, the past doesn't matter. Move forward from here!

The saying "Beauty is skin-deep" is backwards with KC. The beauty lies beneath a truly ugly exterior. There's incredible power here, but it's not easily accessed and taken advantage of. A clean UI would do wonders for this software. I realize most CAD and other complex software has troubles with UI but this needs professional help. I look forward to UI improvements in future versions.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is formidable. The UI is outdated and user-hostile. The tutorials have errors and omissions (imagine learning your ABC's with errors and omissions). The help system looks like it was generated with an automated indexing routine and laid out like an open source project. Some of the YouTube videos are awe-inspiring, but the basics are not clear at all.

I've used solid modeling software for 20 years and needed to move up to a more powerful package. I took almost 2 years to decide on direct modeling with KC. No regrets, but these are the issues I'm up against as a beginner. Software this powerful deserves the resources needed to make it easy to learn and use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you use a Mac like I do, get Windows running in BootCamp and get familiar with that if you aren't already. BootCamp is free, included in MacOS and lets you run Windows on a Mac. Also, you can download Windows 10 free from Microsoft and run it without authenticating unless and until you want to personalize it. I've found that I've been able to personalize quite a lot in Windows 10 without authentication. Basically you get to set it up and try it for an unlimited amount of time for free.

Get Windows 10 up and running and get a feel for it before installing KeyCreator. There is a daunting learning curve in KeyCreator and struggling with a new OS will make it worse. Get your mouse and keyboard working properly and get familiar with the new setup.

Keep it simple and use the Edge browser and a pdf reader. You'll need it for reading the tutorials.

I tried Parallels to run Windows on top of Mac (to run Windows in a window in a Mac) but the basic version of Parallels isn't suited to this powerful software. It won't access large amounts of RAM (I have 32 GB) and it's slow. Time Machine backups slow things down even more, and if you have automatic cloud backups like SugarSync, it can bog down even worse. I had other issues with Parallels and until they remove the restriction on how much RAM it will use, and remove some marketing schemes to get you to install unnecessary software, I cannot recommend it for using KeyCreator.

Once you have BootCamp, Windows, and KeyCreator installed your Mac can run like a Windows PC or like a Mac, but not both at the same time.

FIY, you can use a thumb drive to move existing CAD files from the Mac partition to the Windows partition using .sat or .obj or any other suitable format.

Once you have your system situated you can get going on tutorials whether you have a demo version or purchase KC outright.

My CAD files became large and complex, and history trees were failing so I'd have to start from scratch to fix things. There were other issues too. The first thing I did after installing KC was import a huge assembly with some gnarly geometry. Success! The file now opens and saves more than 20X faster than before and is ready to be worked on without regard to history!

I started to explore all the new tools at my disposal but quickly realized I need to go through tutorials to be able to do real work. That's when I hit the wall.

KeyCreator review by User

"Years long Pro-Engineer/Wildfire user and administrator. Was blown away with ease of function!!"

What do you like best?

I most like the functionality of the program, the ease in which you can model and create drawings. As compared with other programs like Wildfire/Solidworks often the "top-down" design structure inhibits a user from creativity on the fly.

What do you dislike?

It's no so much as dislike as a complete relearning of the a design mentality. It's almost too easy to create and change things in Keycreator, that's really saying something if that's my dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I've recommended this software to several colleagues and former co-workers. If you need a software that can be as quick as you in it's design intent and not hinder your creativity this is the software for you!

As mentioned I'm fairly new to the software, I've used other modeling software for the past almost 20 years. Mainly Pro-e/Wildfire and Solidworks but without having any formal training I've been able to learn this software on the fly and feel I'm fairly proficient in a matter of months really.

"Long Time User"

What do you like best?

I have been using Keycreator since it was Cadkey and I like that they have kept the original menus for those of us who want them. Unlike Microsoft that changes icon and locations with every release, these menus and icons have remained consistent since the 90's.

What do you dislike?

I would like more of the translators to be free instead of upgrades.

They could also do a bit better job when importing AutoCAD dwgs., but it works pretty well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works better than AutoCad and is easier to use than SolidWorks

I use KeyCreator for all of our design work as well as making all of our production drawings and renderings for customer presentations.

KeyCreator review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"KeyCreator-The Forgotten CAD Package"

What do you like best?

It is simple yo use, straightforward and gets the job done pretty quickly for 90% of the 3D solid modeling you need to do. Can read/write to many differing formats, has a lot simple but nice features.

What do you dislike?

Lacks some of the associativity of newer systems. Like on a 4 curve surface-change a curve and you need to recreate surface--the surface is bot associated with the curve so does not change as curve changes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really good price for what you get.

Very good solid modeler but no associativity (which is +/-)

Good 2 d drawing package

Easy to use.

Files can be a bit memory hogs

Great Import/Export features

Mostly 3D solid modeling of automotive components. Can handle up to a decent size assembly.

KeyCreator review by Gary B.
Gary B.

"Long Time User"

What do you like best?

I started using KeyCreator back in the early 90's when it was Cadkey. I thought it was quite easy to use, as I basically self taught myself. It does a very new job on solid models.

What do you dislike?

I wish it did a better job with surface data. A lot of times we receive math that is surface instead of solid, and I have a harder time manipulating the models.

We redesign parts using the software, and provide models back to our customers.

KeyCreator review by Yigal D.
Yigal D.

"Very good software, Support should be improved."

What do you like best?

Very efficient and productive. Easy to make changes. That also the impression of my son who was using Solid-works during his graduation in Mechanical engineering. (unfortunately KeyCreator is not given for free in Israel Technion)

What do you dislike?

Support is very poor. I have difficulties in large hybrid assemblies, usually when upgrading to the latest version. Several times opened a Help request in the Support site, never got any response. (only support I got was

Recommendations to others considering the product

Best software, needs better support.

Machine design

KeyCreator review by Anthony M.
Anthony M.

"Great Software package for allowing Time experienced CAD users the ability to do new things"

What do you like best?

We like how this software still has the ability to work as it did 20+ years ago for 2D drawings yet its modeling ability is good enough to keep up with modern day needs

What do you dislike?

The fact that they need more people using it, i very seldomly find anyone else using it, i do know a lot of folks using the 20+ year version (CadKey) who never stepped up to this one.

It is a really good Translator across the various CAD programs used by the various suppliers we have, then it's exports are able to be pulled in by those suppliers.

KeyCreator review by Ken P.
Ken P.

"An overall great experience"

What do you like best?

The ease of translating various CAD formats to the CKD formats, along with the ability to export as well. This is a very nice feature.

What do you dislike?

The inability to translate sheet bodies into solids. This would make the work much easier

Recommendations to others considering the product

ease of drawing, solids are great.

Eases quoting to our customers. Allows us to recommend improvement for manufacturability to them.

KeyCreator review by Rahul R.
Rahul R.

"Good software for quick edits"

What do you like best?

UI is very user friendly, so very easy to find commands for a beginner.

There is synchronous modelling which is usually found in all the high end software.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if we can have a search option to find commands by names.

We use this tool extensively to edit complex profiles and re size existing components.

KeyCreator review by Chelsea S.
Chelsea S.

"Perfect for designing and easy to create your own masterpiece"

What do you like best?

Easy interface to work with. Graphics are amazing! Multi part translator is great to work with!

What do you dislike?

Some graphic glitches and some automatic dimension re association issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Work in progress but it is wonderful to work with and support is amazing when you need to ask any questions.

Primary design software for our design department. Aerospace engineering.

KeyCreator review by Steve S.
Steve S.

"The natural choice for getting CAD done. KeyCreator"

What do you like best?

I like the ability to go from 2D to 3D in a snap. The software is very intuitive and the processing flows easily. It takes just minutes to have a solid of a complex part, which then can be laid out simply.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve but what software doesnt come with that. Intersecting threads with angles can be tricky but there are ways to work around.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great company that strives to improve its product and lead the industry. Very worth your time and money to try it out.

Being in the tool room I get to handle many unique problems and get lots of opportunities to improve our processes. Currently I am also serving on the safety committee and this software helps in building guarding. I enjoy using the 2D when facing clearance issues. I use the 3D on everything else, gauging, jigs, tooling, furnishings, etc. You name it, I draw it.

KeyCreator review by Robert K.
Robert K.

"Using for plant layout operations and special tooling"

What do you like best?

Ease of designing special tooling and tracking layout in plant in 3d

What do you dislike?

Plant layout is very large lots of gig so I jam up on some of the big 3ds

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great tech support, very quick response to any questions or needs.

Allowing to animate 3d tooling so others will buy into the fix or project

KeyCreator review by Ryan F.
Ryan F.

"Had my doubts at first, but great software once you learn it."

What do you like best?

The ease to change a part and make little tweaks without having to do extrudes and cuts to make it bigger or smaller. Also the ease to making the hole size a different tap or bore.

I like how fast the software completed what you need. You could want different colors of specific parts and have them on different levels so they can be turned on and off easily. This is something that would have taken a long time to do in Solidworks. With KeyCreator you are a few clicks away and you will have what you want. Specially the masking option you can choose what you want selected and what color to select fast.

What do you dislike?

I so not have much to dislike about the product. I am still learning how to use it and come from a Solidworks background, but so far I have nothing to report that I so not like.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great software and easy to use. Just need to learn it because it is a little different than if you were to be using Solidworks or NX.

It is a lot easier to use though, and assemblies are ALOT smaller creating less load time and need for higher end graphics cards or bigger faster computers to run the assemblies.

Solving issues with Dies in metal stamping, and designing new dies for presses. I have realized the files are smaller and open much faster than a large assembly would have in solidworks.

KeyCreator review by Jim G.
Jim G.

"Longtime user"

What do you like best?

Freedom from constraints, ability to use models from any source.

What do you dislike?

Same freedoms reduce some abilities that come from other approaches. There is always a price to pay.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider the flexibility and ease of use

We take models from a variety of customers and must be able to work with them regardless

KeyCreator review by BILL J.
BILL J.

"Started with CadKey back in the day now KeyCreator have seen it from the start."

What do you like best?

The ease of using all the different solid shapes, and being able to import products into my drawings.

What do you dislike?

Having to helix and build threads ID and OD would like a thread library where I could take a base type and make it my own and blend it like the machining process would do. Also to have Lathe programming capabilities for NC Machinist.

I can invent specialized tooling and machinery, draw and import components and be sure of their fit before I go out and build it.

KeyCreator review by Paul J.
Paul J.

"Most intuitive system I have used"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to move from my 2D flat to my 3D part. Once I get my flat drawn and verified I can copy it to a new layer, thicken it and form it up, following the same steps I know my Brake team will follow.

I like how easy it is to create drawings and multiple layouts for my production team. I can follow the entire production path from flat sheet metal to formed with hardware and screen printing just by adding another layout.

I can modify my part by just opening the geometry and changing what I need to change. I don’t need to worry about which feature happened in what order. It is fast and easy.

I also like KeyCreator University. KCU is great for finding out how to deal with a new issue.

What do you dislike?

Very little. The sheet metal tools could be better, but they are always improving and they are better than anyone else’s I’ve used. I find that in general, the things that cause me issues are frequently setting issues or there is another way to handle it the is explained in KCU.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do your homework. Talk to your machine support people, others in your industry and look at the forums. Then when you begin bringing possible vendors in, have them take one of your parts and process it as you will. Anyone can make a demo look good. They are designed that way. Have it processed in front of you and compare what each had to do. After that it will be in pricing.

I work in custom sheet metal for the power distribution and networking industries. Our customers normally bring us their product to produce. What we have to do is find a way to make their product in our skill set. The better the sheet metal tools in our CAD system, the further ahead in the game we are.

The sheet metal tools in KeyCreator are pretty good and getting better. From my own experience and the people I have trained in KeyCreator, it is about the most intuitive CAD system out there.

KeyCreator review by Tim H.
Tim H.

"Must have for machinery design"

What do you like best?

This is the most user friendly software on the market. It's so easy, I taught myself! The ease of changing models is the biggest plus for me whether it's my own or a customer's that we imported. The options for import are very comprehensive.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see a larger fastener library. We are a job shop and we process a very wide variety of items out of the norm. It would help speed up drawing detailed unique parts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would highly recommend this anyone who wishes to improve productivity, reduce scrap and retain more money. I have used other software products and this is by far the best I have used.

We are picking up jobs that we used to pass by with the confidence we have gained with Keycreator. It has increased our profitability also by reducing rework and scrap. I also like how it works with our cam package. Another benefit is the ability to import and export so many file types.

KeyCreator review by Mike S.
Mike S.

"Simple yet powerful"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and has every feature you could ever need

What do you dislike?

animation could be much better and when editing splines, they seem to change shape. I brought this to the attention of keycreator. They replied acknowledging the issue but did not hear anything after that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

easy to learn

quickly detail a cad model

KeyCreator review by User

"30 year Cadkey/KeyCreator user......."

What do you like best?

The ability to bring in, and heal, just about any solid model from any modern CAD program out there.

Also the ability to have entire design plus drawings in one file.

What do you dislike?

As I am a manufacturing engineer for a sheet-metal shop, the sheet-metal tools have lagged behind KeyCreator's competitors tools.

Having the ability to handle the variety of CAD files we get from our customer. This has been the only 3D CAD program we've had for over 20 years, and there have been very few files that we couldn't work with.

KeyCreator review by Joe S.
Joe S.

"I could not do what I do without it"

What do you like best?

I work with many different companies and they use many different CAD programs, I have yet to run across one that supplied me files I could not work with. The fact that Keycreator comes with so many different translators is a very big part of what makes it the best platform for me.This not only allows me to work with these files it allows me to send back files they are able to use in their native formats. This has become much more critical over they years companies do not want to have to deal with translation problems in fact some will not accept files in any other format than what they are using. I also like the fact that with the tools in Keycreator changes are easy to make almost regardless of what those changes are. The type of work I do requires many changes ,some significant but with box move, dimension driven edit and dynamic face changes or modifications are easy and fast.

What do you dislike?

To be honest I have not found anything too important about it that I dislike the licensing process can give me a bit of a hard time now and then but that is something I very rarely have to do so I do not even consider it to be a problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need an easy CAD program to learn that is good across many platforms and has powerful features at a reasonable price you should look at Keycreator

The benefits are obvious it allows me to take work from anyone using other CAD platforms this opens up a lot of opportunities that may not otherwise be available, it has always been on top of the list of benefits to Key for me

KeyCreator review by Jason B.
Jason B.

"Keycreator Review"

What do you like best?

Keycreator has time and again proven to be the best design package for anyone who needs to change the design mid stream. And lets face it, who does not change the design? EVERYONE changes the design. Try this with a parametric modeling software and then try it with Keycreator. See the results for yourself. These reviews are biased, based on individual experiences. GO SEE FOR YOURSELF. Keycreator WILL impress you to say the least. Your design time will be reduced from not having to start over almost everytime.

What do you dislike?

There have been some situations where the layout mode has not been as productive as I hoped. I can't think of the exact situations off the top of my head, but just some areas where I thought more functionality would really help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend trying this software along with any other software you are considering and applying it to one of your own design projects. The dog and pony show that software companies put on to get you to buy there product only works well with there own predetermined designs and intended modifications. Keycreator works well with almost ANY design you throw at it and you will see for yourself the benefits.

I solve all my design problems with Keycreator. The ability to import so many formats of existing designs and be able to work on them "as is" to make modifications is hard to beat. The benefits of having this option means that I can take existing designs at any stage of design and go, whereas my competitors with parametric software (i.e. Solidworks) have difficulty if they do not get a history of the design to work with.

KeyCreator review by Andy F.
Andy F.

"There isn’t anything you can’t draw ."

What do you like best?

It’s got to be the most flexible software I’ve ever used. I have never been limited by the software in anything I draw, from the smallest detail to the big picture. Then to use the same model for rendering or animation. It’s second to none. Well done Keycreator.

What do you dislike?

A little more attention on the mundane bits

I design joinery for the construction market and I’m able to work from Architects “design intent “ drawings, through to workshop layout drawings.

KeyCreator review by Herbert K.
Herbert K.

"Have been using KeyCreator for 4 years and find it easy to use and very quick to complete assignment"

What do you like best?

I like the Icon based controls for most of the operations

I can make duplicates quickly with the copy feature

I have never had any problems with anything in the program

What do you dislike?

Not much of anything. It meets or exceeds all of my requirements.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. It is better and easier to use than Autocad and others. I think most engineers will find it excellant and fast to learn.

I can create drawings quickly to provide our shop with detailed drawings for the manufacture of our products.

KeyCreator review by Matt P.
Matt P.

"Incredible Modeling Freedom"

What do you like best?

The versatility of the modeling environment as well as the almost unlimited options to customize your work environment

What do you dislike?

Very few dislikes - however, when I do run into problems service reps are quick to help and to recommend feedback within the company for future releases.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Certainly if you need a well rounded platform that is easy to use.

We frequently use KeyCreator to open files generated by other programs which simplifies communication with General Contractors during both the bidding and construction phases of a project

KeyCreator review by Wayne T.
Wayne T.

"KeyCreator- Great choice for Automotive Tool & Die Design"

What do you like best?

I have been a Cad designer ( Tool & Die) since the early 90s when Keycreator was CadKey - back then my designs were mostly 2D . Since that time the software has continued to be user friendly and easily customized thru the use of macros , hotkeys and menus. 2d and 3d Surfaces and Solids easily interact with each other.

Dynamic creation and editing is a breeze without constraints of a history tree. A freeform direct modeler that has a variety of ways to accomplish a design.

Great support staff - always seem to find a solution.

Pricing is competitive - Cheaper than the big boys - but big bang for your buck

Continual improvement with each release.

What do you dislike?

My only complaint is that the software still has occasional crashes - which I cant seem to replicate in order to provide feedback to support. A quick registry clean seems to solve these problems. another minor complaint is its tapped hole function occasionally switches from metric to english. i have notified tech support of this and I hope a solution is found soon.

Minor inconveniences in a fantastic software.

Wish they had a Tool and Die Package similar to SW

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend this to all looking for a robust Cad package. I believe they have a free trial Well worth your time !!!

There is really no "Business" problems that Keycreator hasnt been able to solve- excellent translators , quick and customizeable, great modeling tools. the benefits I have realized is the transition into solids was an easy learning curve.

KeyCreator review by User in Automotive
User in Automotive

"Mechanical design software used int he tool and mold industry"

What do you like best?

Easy to learn, easy to use.

The software is very quick for creating basic solid shapes.

Simple solids can be trimmed against complex topology to create complex solids.

What do you dislike?

Broken features don't get fixed very quickly.

No as strong as other software manipulating complex solids.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software is constantly improving.

I have seen more improvement the past year than i had years before.

It appears they are doing more to improve the product these days.

Design of plastic injection molds and plastic compression molds.

KeyCreator review by Don B.
Don B.

"Go-To CAD System"

What do you like best?

The ability to design anything I want, without having to figure out "work-arounds". Key Creator allows me to do what I want in several different ways, so I cant figure out what works best for me. I have been using Key Creator for about 8 years now and I am always learning a new way to use certain features.

What do you dislike?

There are usually a few bugs with each release of the software, sometimes the software locks up and closes without warning. If you are trying to place a new instance in an assembly, and dont know the orientaion of the original part (off the top of your head), when you choose an angle of rotation and accept, then go back and change that angle; if you do this twice the software will lock up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used Solidworks, Pro E, AutoCAD, Inventor, and a few others, Key Creator is the most versatile, and robust CAD system I have ever used. There is just no supplement for knowing that I can have the information people need faster than they think they're going to receive it! With the new features that are being implemented into Key Creator, such as dynamic modeling, I am able to improve upon my time spent on customers work and ultimately help keep customer cost down!

My job is to design tooling fixtures, so Key Creator really "fits the bill" weather I'm creating models for customers, prints for cnc process, or assemblies to validate fit, and clearances!

KeyCreator review by Danny D.
Danny D.

"Dependable CAD software"

What do you like best?

I like the powerful and flexible set of Geometry Creation Tools in Keycreator.

This allows us to work with any customers geometry using the built in translators. I am always able to translate and edit the geometry from any drawings for use in our CAM systems for machining.

It might be surprising to some since 3D is all that is usually talked about today but one of my favorite things about KeyCreator is it's powerful 2D capabilities.

Much of our work still requires perfect 2D geometry. I was totally surprised that while some other very popular CAD packages are great at 3D they are very poor at 2D.

I am able to extract and edit 2D geometry for all our needs easily and efficiently as well as take 2D geometry and build a 3D model from it.

What do you dislike?

There are more flexible and powerful assembly tools in other packages but those packages are also more expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate CAD software on the basis of your needs and what you intend to do.

All the flashy ads for CAD software are great but if it doesn't do the job for you it's no good.

Interoperability with our Customers designs. We are able to take their concept files and edit them for the final design which we create here in our shop.

We are able to solve many complex Engineering Challenges by drawing in both 2D and 3D and use that geometry to machine actual parts.

KeyCreator review by John C.
John C.

"KeyCreator V13.5 - Direct Modeling has now taken the lead in 3D CAD"

What do you like best?

The dynamic creation and editing functions in KeyCreator V13.5 are absolutely awesome! These new tools provide users with all of the benefits (and then some!) that used to be available only in parametric modelers, without the limitations imposed by a history tree, when radical design modifications are required.

The translators (import and export) offered within KeyCreator V13.5 are extremely robust, as are the native healing functions, making it very easy to import literally anyone's CAD files and work on them as if you had created them natively.

What do you dislike?

A very minor quirk...when working in metric as I almost always do, the default unit for density in the Mass Properties function is gm/mm3. Yes, it DOES make sense, in the sense that I'm drawing in millimeters. But it's also just plain silly, as NOBODY uses gm/mm3 - everyone working in metric uses gm/cm3. I wish the software were written in a way to allow this default to be changed.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Before the recent developments allowing Dynamic editing and dynamic creation of new geometries, there were some advantages to parametrics, although those advantages were offset by the limitations imposed by a history tree when a relatively major design intent change occurs (in parametric modelers when this occurs, it's generally easier to start all over again with a fresh CAD file than to modify the existing file).

Since the development of the dynamic creation and editing tools now available the the pure geometry engine of KeyCreator V13.5, it is abundantly clear that direct modeling and pure geometry represent the future, with parametrics being a thing of the past.

If you are a serious 3D CAD user, you owe it to yourself to download a 30 day free trial of KeyCreator V13.5,a dn take it for test drive. You WILL be blown away.

Huge reductions in time required to create new complex geometry, using the new dynamic creation and editing functions.

KeyCreator review by Jacob P.
Jacob P.

"In my experience KeyCreator is the most advanced software of it's kind."

What do you like best?

I found Key-Creator user-friendly and easy to learn. Users can create their own menu's. It has a broad database of standard parts. It can be adapted to right-to-left languages. Anything you can define mathematically, Key-Creator can create.

What do you dislike?

I tried very hard to find something that I dislike about KeyCreator. All I could come up with is that it is not free (except fur students).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ask for training courses. This will convince you. It did for me.

I am retired now. I used to work with various Cad-Cam programs and felt that I was in the front line of the field. Then I got introduced to KeyCreator's predecessor Cadkey, at a time when you could design and work with solids only in your dreams. Wireframe was the magic.

I designed parts and prepared them for machining.

The passage to solids was a wonder by itself.

"Powerful CAD Tool "

What do you like best?

Key Creator has excellent solids manipulating tools and works excellent for importing customer files and correcting erroneous geometry! Saves time!

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike, pretty solid platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd recommend trying the trial version and seeing if it's right for your industry. I feel we don't utilize a lot of the features this software has to offer as our industry mostly utilizes sheet metal tools & functions.

I find that I am able to utilize a lot of customer solid files even if they have errors on their side. The healing tools often help to keep a lot of good geometry which saves time in the end.

KeyCreator review by Manuel V.
Manuel V.

"Flexible CAD !!"

What do you like best?

Work with 3D part from others CAD systems are easy and fast.

You are not tied to any constraints. I have 15 years using it and the company has been growing in the right direction.

What do you dislike?

2D Layout mode could be improved specifically when you do a 2d layout unbended.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it first then you will become addicted to the simplicity.

KeyCreator is addictive !!

Parts are designed on CADs customer do not have and send parts that require changes in it, here is the great advantage to have a direct cad software that helps to do what they need.

Fixture, gages and tooling are the most.

KeyCreator review by User in Consumer Goods
User in Consumer Goods

"Still needs some work"

What do you like best?

I like the speed and the ease of the 3d modeling.

What do you dislike?

When detailing a part and you try to change the line-type of the border. Normally only the line that is picked changes not the whole detail itself.

The auto save feature makes the program go a little weird and you need to move the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard to make go back to normal.

Difficult to set up on pens for line width

To many bugs in the program

Recommendations to others considering the product

Would use this for the 3D application only

going from the computer in the solid model down to CNC for machining

Learn more about KeyCreator

KeyCreator Videos

KeyCreator Downloads

Learning about KeyCreator?

* We monitor all KeyCreator reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.