KiCad EDA

4.8
(6 reviews)

A Cross Platform and Open Source Electronics Design Automation Suite

Work for KiCad EDA?

Learning about KiCad EDA?

KiCad EDA Reviews

Showing 6 KiCad EDA reviews
KiCad EDA review by Chathuri J.
Chathuri J.

"An easy-to-use, resourceful tool for Electronic Design Automation (EDA)"

What do you like best?

It is very difficult to find an open source software for EDA with almost all the useful features available in an enterprise software suite. KiCad can be considered as one of such tools that gives the users a wide range of functionalities. The EasyEDA site provides lot of component libraries that can be used with KiCad and it makes the EDA process consistence and less time consuming. And also, compared to other EDA softwares, KiCad uses less resources.

What do you dislike?

In order to generate the 3D model of the pcb from the brd file, we need to install separate add-ons which is somewhat annoying. It would be better if the software had that feature included within it instead of having to install a separate software for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for an open source EDA software with a rich set of libraries, KiCad is worthy to be among your choices. It gives the functionalities of an enterprise software with easy- to-use interface.

I used KiCad for PCB and Schematic designing and for 3D model automation. KiCad provides support for customized footprint designing and we can add them as well. Also, it provides support for hierarchical designing of schematics as well. Therefore, KiCad can be considered as a very useful and easy-to-use tool that made my works fast and easier.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about KiCad EDA
KiCad EDA review by Aruna J.
Aruna J.

"KiCad is very easy to use, has lot of features"

What do you like best?

It is very easy to use. The best thing id that it is open source. and the next thing is online library of EasyEDA has lot of component files. And it also support custom creating of footprints and adding them. The project manager is easy to use. Hierarchical design is supported in the schematics. All the important features are packed inside. and also it uses less resources compared to other PCB design tools.

What do you dislike?

When the brd file editing. I feel it is difficulty to select the required layer. it usually changes back to the default layer.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It contains lot of libraries. and for rapid development of PCBs this tool is a best solution.

PCB design, Schematic design, 3D model exporting, BOM(Bill of material) creation

What Other CAD solution do you use?

KiCad EDA review by Jack-Benny P.
Jack-Benny P.

"An excellent open-source CAD software for electonics design"

What do you like best?

There are three things that really makes me love this CAD program. First of all it's open-source, which means it's totally free! Second, it was easy to start drawing, even advanced schematics. Withing an hour from installing the software I had added my own components to the component library and was half-way my project. Third, the results are great. Not only for printing, but there's the ability to save your blueprints/schematics in various formats like SVG, PDF, PNG etc. The SVG (vector graphics) option is great if you want to tweak something afterward.

What do you dislike?

So far it's not much that I don't like from this totally free CAD software. But I can imagine that people who are switching from one of the bigger CAD vendors to KiCAD will have some troubles getting used to it since it doesn't look like most CAD software. But for me that's only a plus, since I can never get the hang of the other CAD programs on the market. KiCAD was for me much easier to get started with. For example there are no icons the for components, instead you type the name of the component and are given a list of matching components to choose from.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get put off by their unfamiliar look. I learned how to use it under 15 minutes and I'm in no way a CAD expert. Watch a few Youtube videos about it (I did) and you'll soon got the hang of it. It's really easy to add your own components, which can be a difficult task in other CAD applications.

Before I found KiCAD I didn't really have a good CAD program. I've been using others, but none of which I liked. I have subscribed to an online schematics program for a couple of years, but since I have a newly started business I have to cut down on the cost, and hence I started looking for open-source alternatives. Since I am a huge open-source advocate (I'm a developer myself) I was very glad when I found KiCAD.

KiCad EDA review by User

"The best PCB design software, on par with other software that costs thousands of dollars."

What do you like best?

KiCad is fast, responsive, and pretty lightweight compared to some of the competition.

What do you dislike?

KiCad's library management is an absolute nightmare. Serious work needs to be done to centralize the library management tools. My company uses GitHub for collaboration, and our libraries are constantly having to be remapped. It is a nightmare.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Figure out your parts libraries prior to starting use of KiCad. You need centralized libraries, or it will be a complete nightmare. My company has had some nightmares from KiCad library issues, but other than that, it is important to realize that you are (generally) comparing free software to multi-thousand-dollar software.

As a small startup, KiCad allows us to do things that other solutions could provide, but we just can't afford.

KiCad EDA review by User in Professional Training & Coaching
User in Professional Training & Coaching

"The best open-source, cross-platform EDA suite out there"

What do you like best?

KiCAD is very easy to use, and is free (with no size limit like EAGLE), making it a great option, when you have limited PCB design needs.

What do you dislike?

It is very difficult to find many pre-built components for KiCAD - when working with newer, or less common parts like Relays, you usually need to either convert an EAGLE part or make your own which can be very time-consuming.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's worth a try, considering it's the best free option available.

KiCAD EDA is our go-to tool for quickly building one-off PCBs as needed for our client projects. Compared to other EDAs which can cost upwards of $20,000, KiCAD does all the basics well, and we haven't really run into any limitations yet.

KiCad EDA review by User

"Great User experience, good inbuilt calculator"

What do you like best?

I like the inbuilt calculator, its simple enough but very useful

What do you dislike?

Going from other PCB software, to kicad might be a little harder

Have used it to provide silicon verification board to the customer.

Learning about KiCad EDA?

* We monitor all KiCad EDA reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.