Knack

Knack enables anyone to build simple web apps and online databases. You can import data from spreadsheets or define it from scratch, and then build interfaces to display and manage that data using elements like forms, tables, and search. Apps can be easily embedded into any website and then further styled or manipulated via jQuery.

Work for Knack?

Learning about Knack?

Knack Reviews

Ask Knack a Question
Showing 18 Knack reviews
Knack review by Mary B.
Mary B.

"Knack has been helpful for us as a start-up"

What do you like best?

Knack has been very easy to use, edit, and customize. Everyone on our team uses Knack to log information and prepare our products best for our customers. After having been trained on it, Knack is very easy to log, compare, and apply filters for data-analysis of our products and our customers.

What do you dislike?

For our team, Knack is what we use to interface with customers and each has their own portals set up through Knack. While it is easy to have our information and their portals coincide for logistic purposes, it is not the most attractive site to use, and can be more difficult for our users to navigate.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really great to start with - definitely important and helpful to work closely with Knack representatives for the customizable building aspects.

Benefits are that it is easy to set up and implement and has served our fast-growing organization really well. It provides an easy and manageable way to share everything with students and control the product-matching logistics.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Knack
Knack review by Keith P.
Keith P.

"Knack is perfect environment for rapid prototyping business apps"

What do you like best?

Within hours, I was up and running with a projects database app which allows users to query the various projects that our company is working on. I did not need any IT help or database experts, just knowledge of the subject matter as it was very easy to set things up and enter data.

What do you dislike?

Knack was not able to do a fairly complex query that I was looking to execute for a given view. Their support team was fast in diagnosing things and letting me know that what I wanted to do was not possible at present time, but that they would add this functionality as a feature request to be considered for a future update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Dive in! I did some research on similar platforms and found Knack to be the fastest/easiest to get into. It is very intuitive and if you do run into an issue/question, the Knack support team has always responded within 24 hours of question submission, usually faster than that (within a few hours).

Our company was managing all of our projects on spreadsheets which quickly became outdated and/or everyone was not all using the same latest/greatest spreadsheet which led to confusion. By having everything housed in Knack, everyone now knows that the Knack app is the latest/greatest source. We also have multiple people managing the data so it is easy for updates to be made instead of finding the keeper of the spreadsheet.

What No-Code Development Platforms solution do you use?

Knack review by Casey S.
Casey S.

"Don't knack it till you try it"

What do you like best?

Great tool for a customized CRM. Building your website is intuitive and simple for a moderately tech-savvy employee

What do you dislike?

Knack servers were built in the stone age - we have problems loading pages every day - if I had a nickel for everytime Knack was slow, I could quit my job

Knack is great because you can customize with no limits. The issue with this is that it requires a ton of background knowledge on who it all works. You can pretty easily build something that will function for your intended purposes but without someone who be committed to engineering it full time, you're better off with a CRM like base or sales force

Knack review by David R.
David R.

"A great, improving web-app builder and DB designer"

What do you like best?

Knack allows anyone to create a quite complex backend and frontend for their web-app. For those with knowledge in code, Knack provides a vast amount of customization using an API and custom CSS and JS built-in.

What do you dislike?

The frontend needs a bit of an update. Thankfully, this is now on Knack's planning list so it'll be implemented very soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you encounter any problems in your implementation, talk to the Knack support staff. They're very nice and helpful.

The original plan was either to create a custom web-app using Google Sheets APIs. However, thanks to Knack, we were able to get it up and running in a matter of weeks, not months.

Knack review by Kaitlin M.
Kaitlin M.

"A major step up from basic forms apps"

What do you like best?

Great software for dorks like me that don't know much about programming and complex databases and whatnot, but need something more advanced than Google Forms, Wufoo, etc. It's easy to use, relatively inexpensive, and can make your life so much easier! If you're a nonprofit, they'll give you a 25% discount (pretty generous).

What do you dislike?

Very little. The front-end user interface is just one thing that comes to mind for improvement, specifically the ability to change how components of a page appear on the screen.

My nonprofit has been able to go paperless with a number of major business and HR processes - such as with timesheets, PTO request and tracking of hours, vendor check requests, personal reimbursement requests, etc.

Knack review by Sam J.
Sam J.

"Great for a changing business"

What do you like best?

The flexibility Knack offers, you can build out a database app to manage incredibly simple or complex amounts of data that connect and interact in a multitude of ways

What do you dislike?

System can be kind of slow, can be difficult to figure out specific connections between different data objects, but overall is relatively easy to learn.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have a clear plan for structuring your data. While Knack is flexible, it can definitely take a significant amount of time to make major updates to data sets and make major changes.

Database management with a high influx of records, constantly changing data needs are able to be addressed due to Knack's flexibility.

Knack review by User in Higher Education

"Daily Knack Use"

What do you like best?

I am not responsible for knowing how to change the back end of knack, but I know that a lot of changes are made on a normal basis that make this system extremely versatile and adaptable to our needs as a company.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the visual aspect. I think it could be a lot more modern/aesthetically pleasing to the user.

We manage almost all of our program information in Knack, and there is honestly more information in there than I know how to access, but I know that every department uses knack for different reasons and all of it is kept well organized.

Knack review by Eric G.
Eric G.

"Powerful Database Builder that is Fun to Use"

What do you like best?

Some tools are so intuitive and ripe with potential that they are actually a delight to use. This is one such tool. In addition to being able to create databases quickly, the ability to create apps to manipulate and view records is easy and useful.

The app builder is my favorite feature. There are a lot of useful views to be used (search, forms and tables are my top 3) and I love it when an end-user asks me if it can do XY or Z and I'm able to come back with a solution quickly!

The automated tasks are also proving to be helpful for resetting values after a defined amount of time.

What do you dislike?

I haven't found anything to dislike but I don't feel like we're doing anything with Knack that would push it to its limits.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We had a great experience with Knack's developer support while building a custom solution. Don't hesitate to reach out to them if you get stuck. Be sure to check out the knowledgebase as well. They appear to do a good job keeping it fresh.

We're using Knack to track transactions on our website and then offer promotions based on the user's order history. We've also built a view that allows our customer service team to look up transaction histories and make adjustments, if needed.

By using Knack as a part of this solution, we've saved time by quickly building the interface for the app with Knack versus rolling our own.

Knack review by Salman A.
Salman A.

"Easy to use, drag and drop interface to create tools and applications for your business"

What do you like best?

I do not know any coding and I am able to create custom solutions for my business anytime I want. I have tried other platforms online but this is by far the easiest to use.

What do you dislike?

Some customization require coding knowledge. Ecommerce is still under development.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this tool to quickly create a test application and see how it works in your environment.

I have created multiple applications from an online store / marketplace to real estate CRM, database of properties and some experimental apps.

Knack review by Administrator in Government Administration
Administrator in Government Administration

"Quick and easy database with zero programming."

What do you like best?

Easy to use interface. No programming required. I like how you can set up users and create place for them to edit the the content directly.

What do you dislike?

I haven't really found anything we dislike yet. I do find it can get a bit complicated when you have lots of objects in various relationships. Maybe if there was a way to visualize it more that may help.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it!

We were able to create a database very quickly. We had all the data, but needed it to be accessible online in a mobile-friendly format. The cost to custom build a database was very high and included a long timeline. Using Knack was an amazing alternative that served our needs better than the custom solution!

Knack review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Customizable and easy to learn"

What do you like best?

Customize database management to suit your needs and how you use it. Aesthetics are easy to navigate. It is accessible from any web browser anywhere.

What do you dislike?

Does not auto-save when inputting data to fields, so can lose data inputs.

We use Knack to manage our internal business processes, including tracking team workload / availability, travel and vacation schedules, and juggling multiple projects / proposals / teams.

We have also used it to manage data and information for clients, including building specialized tools to store performance data in a way that is easy to interact with, allowing clients to track progress and pull easily interpretable summary reports.

Knack review by Keith P.
Keith P.

"Great, Simple SAAS Database Tool for Anyone"

What do you like best?

After testing several alternatives for online database app building tools, Knack is the simplest and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Even after using it for a year, it does seem to be a little buggy. It also has many limitations for anyone who is familiar with relational database programming or writing complex Excel formulas.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Support reliability is somewhat spotty, depending on the person your ticket is assigned. Otherwise, it's a great value.

Internal goal planning and measurement tool was built on Knack and integrated with our single sign on provider.

Knack review by Thaylan T.
Thaylan T.

"It does a lot in an easy way"

What do you like best?

You can easily set up a complicated app with a lot of database needs

What do you dislike?

Could have control over the user interface - It would be a complete app builder with that!

Needed a place that received a database from surveys that my clients were able to access and export from.

"Knack junkie"

What do you like best?

This incredible platform makes building just the right database with user friendly interfaces easy.

What do you dislike?

I would like more native integrations and more control over interfaces design

Recommendations to others considering the product

Build a small database for practice.learn how it works before tackling the bigger project you may have in mind. It is worth learning how to fully use this platform.

I am using knack to bring all of the company data across many platforms together and create a dashboard for strategic planning. I also build small apps for client questionnaires or employee surveys.

"Knack Review"

What do you like best?

Creativity! Has a lot of potential for expression. Simple to update and add new features.

What do you dislike?

Not visually appealing. Difficult to make it attractive to the eye.

Accessibility, organization, and provision of our product. Good way to compile data/information. Important to be comprehensive in its application.

Knack review by Caroline C.
Caroline C.

"User Friendly Experience"

What do you like best?

I like the easy-to-find different features at the top of the page

What do you dislike?

I dislike the default setting of 25 entries per page because it sometimes seems like it's not all there

We are solving the problem of allowing students access to a user friendly portal to enroll

Knack review by Administrator

"very useful and practical "

What do you like best?

the tabs on top are organized perfectly and you the filters don't always work and get deleted when you refresh

What do you dislike?

I have to do several clicks in order to find the right information

organization of our students

Knack review by Administrator in Education Management
Administrator in Education Management

"Good product, could use add features"

What do you like best?

Ability to create items and necessary fields for inventory.

What do you dislike?

Can be clunky. Takes some getting used to.

Technology inventory for staff use.

Learning about Knack?

* We monitor all Knack reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.