Koding

Work for Koding?

Learning about Koding?

Koding Reviews

Showing 5 Koding reviews
Koding review by Fatir A.
Fatir A.

"Interesting cloud ide"

What do you like best?

Web based, always available ide that is great for collaboration.Has many convenience features and integrations.

There are good debugging tools when developing web applications, both front end and back end.

What do you dislike?

Offline functionality is not the best. This works best when online.

Lacks some of the more advanced editing features that other offline editors provide. This can be a real hinderance for efficiency for many developers, as a good text editor is crucial for keeping a good workflow.

Slow single page app type editor is not the greatest for something that needs to be fast and responsive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are stuck developing on chromebooks, this is a great ide. It's even better when developing full web stack applications, with great integrations into other services.

If you're trying to get up and running as quickly as possible, look for other offline solutions. If you get invested in this workflow before changing your mind, switching over can be a hassle.

Was mostly looking for a good editor for chrome. This is probably the best web based ide, but I still prefer sticking to my standard text editors and tools. Offline support is not the most reliable and I don't like to trust my work to that sort of inconsistency.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Koding
Koding review by M. Serhat D.
M. Serhat D.

"Flawlessly Designed Software with Plenty of Features "

What do you like best?

You can start coding just in minutes with Koding. In the past, getting the development environment ready in my local maching has been taking too much time. But now, Koding does all the things ready for me just in minutes. Support for different IDEs are also an amazing feature. Support for Atom and SublimeText is one of my favorite features about Koding. I think, real-time collaboration tools, instant messaging, collaborative code editor designed for pair-programming, integrated terminal and vim support are best features of Koding.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Koding already provides all the possible features which you can have on cloud. The only thing that I don't like about Koding is pricing. It is a quite expensive service, even the start-up package costs more than 300$ for each month. I was expecting to see smaller subscription options.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Koding is great for developer teams, lectures who teach programming and remote programmers. You should definetely try collaboration features.

I'm using coding during my lectures that I teach Ruby on Rails. In the past, installign ruby, ruby on rails and git has been taking too much time during the lectures with more than 40 students in a classroom. Waiting on computers, downloading software, configuring and fixing errors are really frustrating for many students. Not Koding is doing all for us. It provides a ready-to-use environment which you we start coding just in minutes.

What Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution do you use?

Koding review by Sandro M.
Sandro M.

"not fit for serious coding, not yet"

What do you like best?

I really like the idea of having kd apps which run outside the VMs and I think it will be cool to see where people will take that and what kind of tools people will build.

What do you dislike?

When I came across Koding for the first time, I instantly became a huge fan because of how generously they are providing a high network speed 64-bit Ubuntu VM in the could. However, after using (facing a lot of difficulties as I have explained below) it for a few months, I have decided to desert it. I was hopeful when I saw their announcement on the new year enhancements and the 1TB for free offer. But, it just got worse. Koding does say that it is not fit for production environments but IMHO it is not fit for any serious programming other than trying out Web technologies like PHP, JSP, HTML etc. Here are the significant issues I faced while using Koding.com:

The performance of Koding is pathetic. Once you login the first page opens dead slow often showing a popup “Trying to reconnect”. Terminals open crawling (sometimes they don’t even open in the first few attempts) and working over a SSH connection is a horrible experience. You have to type and wait for a few seconds to see the character on the terminal. Resetting a VM is a catastrophe since it seems like eternity till it comes up again.

Somehow the disks seem to get slower when more and more data is stored on them. When I created a new account the performance was reasonable on a new VM.

2GB RAM is just not enough for a VM connected over the network and meant to be used for programming. When I tried to compile the LLVM library each time the compilation SEGFAULTed at linking stage. I compiled it on my local machine and tried to use the library but it again SEGFAULTed when the library APIs are called.

There was a time when Koding prompted to upgrade Ubuntu from Raring to Saucy. It never worked for me though I tried multiple times.

There is a default timeout set to turn off the VM and it is forced even if you are logged in remotely over SSH. The timeout is very less and once the VM is turned off it takes too long to get it on again.

The outbound servers do not seem to be load-sharing very well or are insufficient in number to handle the traffic. It was painful logging in to Koding during the period of their 1TB free offer. As far as I remember, I could login only once during the whole time.

I also have some personal security concerns with working on Koding. I am not sure whether the admins can access or communicate directly with the VMs or not. If yes, that’s the last thing I want.

Koding is a promising service that doesn’t deliver any quality of service. I do not like the situation where often I can’t access my own code because the service I rely on is erratic or even if I manage to open a session through SSH, my compilation crashes. Koding might be OK for beginners to start with but it is not even fit for any serious programming activity. So I just bid it goodbye and moved everything back to my laptop. Now I do not waste time trying to open a terminal or waiting for my VM to come up after login. Koding has embarrassed me far too many times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The only advantage I see with Koding is it can work as a compilation environment for small packages from source code. In case you do not want to litter your own system with lots of development packages, use Koding to build.

currently none.

Koding review by Ramón L.
Ramón L.

"Stop configuring, start Koding."

What do you like best?

Koding set's you up for next gen koding! You don't need to waste time with pesk nginx site configuration, bother with setting up permissions for sql. All you need to start an app is already set for you. You don't need to lose time getting your server to work. You just need to start koding!

What do you dislike?

Koding is expensive, very expensive. But if you need to save time, scale quickly, and get your team to work asap. You won't find a better service.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you to know beforehand what kind of server your app needs, once you know that. Setting things on will be a matter of minutes!

Setting up a server is a really time consuming task. The benefit with coding will always be time. And time is gold. If you can be ready to code in a matter of minutes, and save lot's of hours, you will see that the profit is high.

Koding review by Mohamed M.
Mohamed M.

"Code anywhere with anyone"

What do you like best?

Easily you dan start your team and start coding together, and you can manage your resources and system on the fly.

What do you dislike?

depend on other services, like AWS and Google Cloud services.

Remote Development Machine is easier now

Learning about Koding?

* We monitor all Koding reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.