Want to see who topped the 2019 Best Software Awards?

Koha

3.6
(5 reviews)

Koha.org offers a functionally advanced version of Koha and ready access to the most experienced Koha software support company in the industry, LibLime.

Work for Koha?

Learning about Koha?

Koha Reviews

Showing 5 Koha reviews
Koha review by Laurel J.
Laurel J.

"Koha Review For Librarians"

What do you like best?

It's for the most part pretty easy to understand. I like that when you're looking up a book, you can put in a lot of details about it beyond the author and the title. You can put in the publication date, what it's about, the ISBN, keywords of what it's about, copywrite info etc. It's a very thorough search engine.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the system gets confused and it shows me titles that don't have any relation whatsoever to what I was trying to search. Maybe it's in the keywords, but the system highlights specific words that are only a small fraction, like a letter, of what I typed in the search bar. It can sometimes make it hard to find what you are searching for

Recommendations to others considering the product

Koha is fast and easy and great for students to use. As long as they understand how libraries work it shouldn't be a problem

I use it for the university library I work for. We upgraded to it from Webster a few years back, and it's such an improvement. Everything is more clear and organized, and it's easy to understand. You don't have to be a skilled user to understand it.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Koha
Koha review by Laura D.
Laura D.

"Koha Free Library System Review"

What do you like best?

What I really like about this is that it's really easy to search for things on here. Meaning it's really user friendly. I've worked with other systems where the sidebars are so tiny and there are so many tabs you have to click. Koha makes it really simple and clear to use. All the print is large and everything is clearly labeled. You don't need to be a master to learn how to use this.

What do you dislike?

What I didn't like is the first week at my new job, I couldn't log into it. We use it at my library to assist patrons, check things in and out to students, staff and faculty. But there were a couple of days I was here by myself and I couldn't check anything out to anyone because I couldn't get into the system. It took my company some time to figure out why I couldn't get in right away. I wish the turn around time was a lot quicker.

We use Koha to check items in and out to students and faculty, and the students use it to look up items they are researching. Even though we live in the age of technology and the students usually don't need much assistance from us, even the older population on campus rarely ask us questions about how to use Koha. It's very simple to use.

What Library Management solution do you use?

Koha review by Jamie M.
Jamie M.

"Useful, agile software but not perfect"

What do you like best?

First off let me state that the searching feature for this software is phenomenal and goes off without a hitch. You are also able to attach notes to each users account which makes tracking notes and reminders much easier, this might be the most useful part of this software as other softwares I am familiar with either dont offer this function at all, or fall short of providing a comparable feature. There is a wealth of statistics that can be learned through the softwares reports features. The interface is friendly and works smoothly. I hope to get my current school division to adopt this program as we are currently using an older platform at my new job.

What do you dislike?

Since the software is SO customizable it can cause the system to lag. Like I said, for someone unfamiliar with this software it might be overwhelming due to the vast array of options and customizations you can select. The lag and jumpyness can be an issue especially if you are running an older computer or running several programs in the background.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Have your staff properly trained! Make sure everyone is on board and ready to adopt a new system. it makes all the difference in the world. This software can save your staff so much headache and busy work when properly integrated.

We have eliminated the need for multiple programs by adopting Koha. Before we had one program for check outs and user statistics and another for account notes. our workflow has increased and the smoothness of the library has improved, especially when we are short staffed or we have a fill in worker.

Koha review by User in Libraries
User in Libraries

"Versitile but glitchy"

What do you like best?

The item searching works better then other systems that I have worked with including ALEPH. I also like the ability to add messages to patron accounts. I also like the multiple notification settings. Since most everything is hyperlinked it makes the system very easy to navigate. Also cataloging is pretty simple in this system.

What do you dislike?

System has issues when it comes to consortiums. Patron searching does not work as well as other systems. The fact that the system is so customizable is both a blessing and a curse. There is a lot that can be done in way of reports and settings, but it can be a bit overwhelming at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly customizable. A good option if you have someone who is into programming on staff, but you can get by with out it if your are hosted.

This is an ILS for a library. It is much more user friendly than our previous system. It has simplified our workflow and we hope that it will improve more as we continue to use the product. The notification features are a big benefit that our patrons greatly appreciate.

Koha review by User

"Library Usage"

What do you like best?

The program performs all the necessary functions needed for a library. It sets good parameters for use. For example, a student employee has restrictions on his/her use, which prevents possible mistakes.

What do you dislike?

The interface could be more user friendly. The program's text is really small and you have to pay careful attention to special notes and notices.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Not for those with poor eyesight.

It gets the job done. It helps us keep track of our books and patrons.

Learning about Koha?

* We monitor all Koha reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.