Komodo Edit

Looking for a powerful editor without all the advanced functionality an IDE comes with? Komodo Edit is for you.

Work for Komodo Edit?
Ultraedit 2x

Learning about Komodo Edit?

Komodo Edit Reviews

Ask Komodo Edit a Question
Showing 15 Komodo Edit reviews
Komodo Edit review by <span>Andrew S.</span>
Andrew S.

Komodo Edit flies

What do you like best?

1. Cross-platform ( Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux ).

2. Firefox style extensions.

3. A lot contemporary color schemes.

4. Built-in FTP and SFTP, even with key authentification. It allows editing remote files directly and working with cloud-based projects.

5. Not Java-based. Java-based applications are very memory consuming.

6. Polyglot (as for languages ).

7. Many unique features.

8. Syntax support for rare, not popular and commercial programming languages.

9. Auto-completion functionality is excellent.

10. Syntax checking is configurable / customizable / extensible for every specific programming language. There are internal and external linters / hinters / etc.

11. Free full-fledged IDE.

12. Support is very responsive and one can easily contribute or post an issue.

13. Intuitive interface.

14. Easily integrates into desktop environment (GUI theme, system environment variables, custom installation folder, etc.).

15. As for my experience Komodo Edit never crashes.

16. Native unicode support and unicode compatibility checking.

17. Feature rich and various unique features.

18. International.

What do you dislike?

License restrictions specific for Komodo Edit (code should not be for production). Not so frequent extensions updates.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Komodo Edit for python / Javascript programmers and web developers the same as for DevOps engineers as it provides auto-completion and syntax checking for apache / bash / makefile / YAML config file types .

It is my primary code editor / IDE, I use it even for note-taking and todo list.

Sign in to G2 Crowd to see what your connections have to say about Komodo Edit
Komodo Edit review by <span>Ruffa Regina D.</span>
Ruffa Regina D.

easy to use

What do you like best?

I have been using this to create my own webpage from scratch weather it is for portfolio or work based type and love it because it is clean and neat platform with easy to manage coding like using multiple tabs when creating html and css, short cut coding, quick preview and managing folders. I like how they continuously update for better improvements. Love using the preview tab to know how it would show.

What do you dislike?

The one thing I don't like is when setting up hosting services so I can run live and sometimes hard to figure out dimension when displaying different browser because I would want easy to see everything in all platform not have any images in weird position but overall nothing i dislike for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend try to read tutorial if needed for basic users for better understanding how to use the software unless you are tech savvy person but other than that just be patient because what ever you type is what you see is what you get on the preview and also try to have fun exploring when working with css because for me I try to create a unique styles for my site.

Currently none so far. The benefits I realized is that I get to create my own webpage from scratch and apply my skills and knowledge that I have learned for building portfolio and to study my own page on how to improve my page better.

What Text Editor solution do you use?

Komodo Edit review by <span>Alan J.</span>
Alan J.

My editor of choice, for 8 years

What do you like best?

Is fast, multiplatform (Linux, Mac, Windows), and works with tons of languages. Have plugins for lots of usecases, like SFTP remote servers, or code tree.

No need of a "Project" concept like Eclipse. Unless you want, so you can have it.

What do you dislike?

Opening via command line is clumsy at best on OSX. Wad not found a way to open a file just on the needed line right away from the command line, like on VIM

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. And then try to configure something on Sublime for example. You can edit Komodo config files by hand, but does not NEED to.

When my desktop is not capable of running the dev environment, a powerful machine on the network can be edited directly by Komodo using remote folders.

When hiring and training, the new people can be using any OS they want. And can edit lots of languages on a mixed day-by-day environment.

Komodo Edit review by <span>Benjamin G.</span>
Benjamin G.

Slick HTML editor

What do you like best?

I have used a variety of Mac HTML editors over the years. I found Komodo about 6 or 7 years ago, and I haven't used anything else since. I do a fair amount of HTML/CSS coding, but doing such work is not my primary role title. I like how Komodo highlights the brackets I am working in, has an easy to use and understand interface, and a robust error checker. For me it works great.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, for the amount of coding I do, Komodo works great. No complaints!

Recommendations to others considering the product

I can heartily recommend Komodo for someone who is wanting to do occasional coding. It is easy to use, even my wife who does no coding at all, figured out how to make the edits she needed to a file with little guidance and time. If you are a hardcore programmer, I don't know if there is a better option. For what I do, it works fantastic.

I needed an HTML editor that would let me occasionally edit my web page with the least amount of work. Previous HTML editors I used were either too simply or overly complex. Komodo is the perfect balance, enabling me to quickly read and edit my code.

Komodo Edit review by <span>Allen C.</span>
Allen C.

Perfect Lite Editor

What do you like best?

You can be up and running with Komodo in a few mins, not only can you save templates for language specific files it has a TON of support for various languages great for some one working many projects or across several frameworks. I cant recall a crash or a bug, remote file support its 1 or 2 features short of a full iDE

What do you dislike?

If I had to complain it would be in reference to the GUI compared to the modern tools it seems a little dated I would also like to see some could support and a little more plugin functionality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a full IDE check out Komodo IDE this is not a full IDE but sufficient for alot of dev tasks.

I use this for custom PHP dev, specific customer file exchanges, general txt file editing SQL file editing and various html tasks.

Komodo Edit review by <span>Bryce M.</span>
Bryce M.

Great text editor for free. Excellent web server connection and interface.

What do you like best?

I like how easy the interface is to load, how well it connects to my hosted servers, and the how quickly the product loads and works. I have used a plethora of text editors in the passed 7 years and Komodo Edit has stayed my editor of choice for 2 years now. It just works great without adding confusing extras.

What do you dislike?

I wish I could more easily set my favorite locations without my server so I don't have to navigate through my file structure each time I want to edit a file, but It is not a big deal at all. The product just works, not a whole lot to dislike.

I run an agency and this is a coding and editing files on a server comprises the great majority of what we do. I leave it up to our team to use the editor of their choice, but this is my editor of choice because it just works. I can save a lot of time by easily access the files I need to update and make corrections without having to navigate through a clunkly interface or an outdated FTP client.

Learning about Komodo Edit?

* We monitor all Komodo Edit reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.